The Hussle | Teen Ink

The Hussle

September 22, 2020
By christianabollacker, Littleton, Colorado
More by this author
christianabollacker, Littleton, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The author's comments:

no

Before I start the real story, let me take you back to the very beginning. About how we fought for the people of this country and … won. Me and my best friend Journey Fin, we had been living in the woods together, in Sydney, Montana. Because our parents had been T-Boned at 75 miles an hour by Issac Crow (the president). They didn't make it. 

 

Three years after our parent’s accident, a war started coming across the country, There were two sides to this war, the Royals and the Runts. The Runts are the outcasts of the country, they are trying to bring justice for the rest of the country that's getting controlled like puppets. And the Royals are the government servants essentially. The president named Isaac Crow is the leader and everybody agrees and does whatever he wants them to do. 

 

Where do I want to start… I know. It all started on a bright sunny day. We had gone out hunting when we got into some trouble...

 

J-“Come on, before they catch us!”

C-“ I’m coming!”

J-“ Were coming up on the bridge… what do you want to do plan A or B?”

C-“Plan B.

J-“Are you sure Conrad?”

C-“Positive… On three jump,  One”

J-“Two”

C-“Three… jump!”

J-“I think we lost them”

C-“I hope so… mountain lions are relentless.”

C- “let’s go home.”

J- ”Okay”

After we nearly got mauled by a pack of mountain lions, we headed for what we called the snake pit. It was where we lived for three and a half years.  

As we walked back I looked at the back of Conrad’s head, at his curly dirty blonde hair, and watch the curls bounce with every step he took. 

He turns around and asks... “Hey, do we have any greens at home?”

“I think we have enough for tonight,” I say.

Conrad is just one of those people that just look like they are supposed to be in a movie. He had to be at least 6’2", with these beautiful piercing greenish-blue eyes, they reminded me of the Factory lake. We both had dark olive skin-tone from being in the sun all day. 

Soon we are back at the snake pit and we start getting food ready for dinner. I clean the greens and get wood for a fire. Conrad starts to skin the little meat we had caught that day. 

SNAP!... We both hear it and go into fighting/protection mode (you never know what is out here). And they 12-17 guys start walking up to us. They are covered in what looks like homemade clothes, they carry spears and slingshots. We are still in protective stances. Not knowing what they’re wanting, but aren’t going to attack. 

“Hi,” says a big guy with dark skin and chocolate eyes… he seems to be the leader.

“Hi… who are you?”

“My name is Kent, what’s yours?”

“Conrad and that’s Journey, hi," I say, still not sure about him.

“We are part of the Runts we are trying to find some really tough and brave people to help us take down Issac Crow and the Royals. And were wondering if you were interested?”

I glance over at Conrad he knows what I am thinking and he knows what I am thinking. I turn and look at Kent.

“Issac Crow killed our parents,” I say.

“I’m sorry for your loss, are you guys siblings?”

“No, Journey’s and my parents were best friends and were in the same place.”

“Do you want to stay for dinner? I mean there's not much, but we can make it work.”

“We would be great, we have caught some game earlier today. We can use that, too.” 

“Great!”

We meet the rest of the guys and then start getting dinner ready, since there are so many of us, it goes fast. And before you know it we are all gathered under and dark blue sky with a big white moon shining down on us. We all sit around the campfire and eat and talk about how the war is going and who they think is going to and all the bad things Crow has done to his country.  After a while, it’s settled that tomorrow we are packing up and going to fight against Crow and his puppets.

 

I toss and turn all night, I think that the thought of how different it is going to be, that we won’t be in the woods anymore. I couldn’t sleep so I went out to the dying fire, threw some pine needles, and a log on it. The log broke into flames instantly, I just sit and stare into the flames and let myself relax. “Can’t sleep?” I turn around and it’s Conrad. “No, just thinking about how we are going to help them. Like what are they going to have us do?”

“I don’t know, but it is our chance to make a difference in our country, plus he killed our parents.” 

We just sit there in silence, thinking about our parents, about how they looked and how they talked. But some parts of them I can’t remember, like what color their eyes were or how they smelled, stuff like that. I know he feels the same way, I can see it in his eyes.

We talk for a long time until the fire starts dying, and I feel myself drifting off to sleep.

“Wake up! It's time to leave.” Conrad never has been at waking me up, he shakes me until I wake up. One time I punched him in the face because he scared me so bad. “Okay, I’m coming."

We gather all of our things, say goodbye to the snake pit, and follow the Kent and the Runts out. They said that they are going to take us to the Runts hide-out. After about 1 ½ hour we were out to the main road that runs through the forest. Then Kent says “Okay, in about a minute, an aircraft is going to lower down and we are going to get in it… okay?” Everyone nods yes, and less than two seconds later it appears out nowhere. We all rush in and find a seat. And just as fast as it came we were gone, speeding through the sky. Conrad and couldn’t stop looking out the window at the world below, everything looked the size of ants. Occasionally, we would catch each other's glances and I knew we both were thinking how crazy this was. It was getting dark and we were still in the air. A lady came out and gave everyone freshly cook meals and kept them coming. After that meal, I sat on the floor next to Conrad and started to drift off to sleep.

I feel this gentle rubbing on my shoulder, when I open my eyes, it’s Kent. “We are here, are you ready?” “As ready as I’ll ever be”.

“Do you want to wake him up or me?”

“I will," I say.

“Hey Conrad, we are here, come on wake up.”

“Are we really here?”

“Yep.”

 

We get up and start walking out of the aircraft, the Runts hideout in half underground half above; it’s gigantic. We are in awe the whole time they show us around. Soon they introduce us to Danny, she is the head of everything along with Kent. They put this whole thing together. 

“Hi, I am Danny, you guys must be Conrad and Journey, right?”

“Yes,” we answer in unison. “So, what do you need us for?”

“That is a great question Conrad, you and Journey are going to go with our best group of soldiers and are going to take down Crow. While you do that, everyone here will be getting everyone in this country to turn on Crow. You will have two days to get ready; you leave on Thursday. Okay?” We nod, and are shown to our room, we are sharing because of lack of space because of all the people. We settle in and take a shower then get dressed and go down to eat lunch. Kent comes by and tells us that we have a practice session to go to to learn how to be prepared for Thursday.

After lunch, we head out to the field where they show us how to use a gun, we already knew that so they moved on the hand-to-hand combat. Which we were also pretty good at. Before long, a voice came over the speaker and said “it’s dinner time." So we headed in and downed our food. Then went to our room and took another shower and crawl into our beds and turn on the T.V. ( We hadn’t watched t.v for almost 4 years.).

Soon we had fallen asleep.

The author's comments:

no

The next day, went by pretty fast, since we had done so well in that practice they let us have the day off. So we swam for the whole morning and then went to see everyone and ask if everyone is okay. By then it’s dinner time and we hurry to get the hot stuff after we go back to the pool and swim until 8:00 then up to bed.

The next day, we are rushed out to the aircraft and Kent started to tell us about the plan. Not long after we got on to the plane we landed and got out, and followed Kent through a part of the woods to a tunnel that slowly went underground. We kept close and marched down the tunnel. Soon we cand to what looked like a vent, and climbed up and we were in the Kaner (where the president and all the “important” people live). Soon the Kaner guards were all over us, “Go find him”. Kent yells at us. Conrad and I take off down the hall and search the halls for a door that said, Crow. Finally about what felt like hours we found it. 

We take a deep breath and bust in, and he is standing there looking out the window. He turns around and before he gets a word out BANG, I see the bullet in slow motion as it goes through his chest and then through the window, shattering it. 

Within minutes, Danny has everyone that lives in the Kaner put into jail and they start reforming the government. 

Now, Conrad and I live in the Kaner right next door to each other. And we spent a lot of years like that. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.