The Extermination Files | Teen Ink

The Extermination Files

By camerontyo21, Hillsboro, Indiana
camerontyo21, Hillsboro, Indiana

It is a sunny and hot day in the city of Daleville. The sun beams on the waters of the Millani River that flows between the west and east side of Daleville. On the west side of Daleville lies the business and industrial district. On the east of the river lies the residential district. It is a Monday. The time is exactly 12:00 pm. The business and industrial districts are bustling with people who are working. People are in different types of outfits which reveal where they work. Brown suit jackets, khakis, lab coats, trench coats, ties, and blue jeans. Everyone is dressed almost uniquely. The streets aren’t the only place in the district that are crowded with people. Restaurants and skyscrapers are crowded with people from cooks to customers to business workers and clients. 

One building in particular that is always busy is the Hampton Headquarters. The cops work in partnership with the headquarters because of their decreased budget. They can’t afford their own detectives so they rely on the detectives who work at the Hampton Headquarters. They’re more discreet about their investigations as well. People are heading from room to room in order to get assigned to an investigation squadron. They are also interrogating people in different rooms of the headquarters in order to push some information from them. Some are in drills, taking mandatory classes or heading out for lunch.The building itself has a lot of dimmed long hallways. A man wearing a brown suit jacket, white polo with a red tie, and black pants walks into the lobby of the headquarters. The lobby itself is a small but decorated room. Different potted plants are scattered across the lobby. The types of plants, mainly flowers vary from roses, daisies, camelias, and lillies. There is an expensive chandelier on the ceiling of the lobby that has three spherical light bulbs decorated with fake diamonds. There are a bunch of tables in many different sections. The main desk and cafeteria can also be found in the lobby.

The man sits down on a table next to one of the windows of the headquarters. Right when he sits down, a couple of other people start to sit down with him. 

“Hey! How’s it going Richard? Ready to start your brand new investigation,” a short plump man wearing a gray business suit with black pants says to him. 

Richard’s last name is Minces. Richard is an ecstatic, respectful, and responsible man.

“Ready as I’ll ever be Todd Trucker,” Richard tells Todd.

Todd hates his last name with a passion. He thought it sounded weird and stupid. Todd is a funny, hot-headed but honest person. The two discuss what they are about to investigate for the day and who would be accompanying them. 

“I was ordered to investigate the cases of the recent kidnappings of people from the Novela Electric Company with Alice,” Richard declares.

“Interesting, my good friend. I’ve been ordered to track down Vanguard, the one who goes by “The Haunting Homicide Riddler,'' explained Todd. 

Vangard is a criminal very much inspired by the Riddler from Batman. However he is much more brutal than the Riddler. The two friend’s lips move up and as they are giving a further explanation of what their case is today. While talking, two women start walking towards the direction of the two men. One of the women is wearing a whilte skirt, with black garters, and a white polo. This is Monica. The other woman is wearing black business attire which includes a button up, bluish hue dress with long blue shirt with cuffs at the ends. Her name is Alice. She also wears high heels. They begin to talk to Richard and Todd.

“Hello, Todd. Richard!”Alice directed to the boys.

“Hello!” Todd and Richard say in unison.

“Are you ready to follow the trails of Vangard Todd? I’ve already deduced some former locations of where he’s been the last couple of months. We can probably find some good evidence at these locations to trace his frequent locations,” Monica tells Todd.

Todd confirms that he was ready and Alice starts talking to Richard about a future interrogation they were to have. Alice tells Richard that she already had a suspect identified in the kidnappings of the Novella Electric Company. Monica tells the others she was going to get some lunch before. She orders a hot dog piled with chilli, cheese, and guac with a side of fries and a soda. The others also decide to order food before they go their separate ways to investigate their assigned agendas. They discuss with each other on what people have to do after they are done with today’s duties. Everyone says that they have some free time to spare for the day.

“Since none of us have anything to do after our duties today, maybe we can spend some time at the Mushong Cafe?,” Richard suggests.

“Sounds good to me,” Alice says to Richard.

The friends start to get up from the table and are about to leave when a loud voice starts echoing through the headquarters. A tall man with huge muscles, a black medium-sized beard, and what resembles a green military uniform decorated with many different medals of honor walked in the lobby. The man in question is the boss of the headquarters, Oranack. He is shouting out loud in the lobby in order to make his voice clear to everyone in the building. He is explaining about how the most important documents titled the “Extermination Files” are going to be moved from the Federal Bureau of Gloringston to the Hampton Headquarters.

Richard, Monica, Todd, and Alice listen intently to what Oranack had to say. They hear others whisper amongst themselves about the “Extermination Files”. The files in question documented previous and future public and private executions that happened to the criminals convicted throughout the world. Oranack tells everyone that they could continue on with what they were doing before he made the interruption.

“Well, we have to get going. We have a case that I believe will take a while to solve,” Richard told the rest of his friends.

“Got it. We must be on our way to. It seems as if Monica already has some clues and locations we should find and go to,” Todd tells Richard.

The four friends go into their two groups and separate. Richard and Alice leave the lobby of the Hampton Headquarters in order to find anything useful that revolves around the Novella Electric Company kidnappings. Todd and Monica go to where they knew their first suspect of the case was; in jail. While doing this, the streets of Daleville are still crowded with people doing their many different activities. The compact Hampton Headquarters becomes less busy as people stop eating lunch and start their many different investigations.

Richard and Alice's first stop is the Novella Electric Company itself. The Novella Electric Company is south of the Hampton Headquarters. They take the underground sub that connects to the north and south Daleville tunnels being the quickest mode of transportation to and from the different portions of Daleville. Once they head on the sub they discuss where they should investigate in the building when they get there.

“When we get to the Novella Electric Company, which rooms should we thoroughly investigate?” Richard asks Alice.

“I’m not quite sure yet. When researching the many intricate rooms of this electric company I deduce that the main control rooms, the lab, the meeting hall, and circuit rooms are rooms we’ll want to spend the most time in,” Alice tells Richard.

Richard agrees with Alice and by the time they know it, the sub ends up in the south tunnels of the station. They exit the station and walk to the nearest bus stop. The bus should take them only a block away from the electric company. The bus ends up rolling in at the stop around 1:00 pm. After passing Daleville’s pretty park and beautiful skyscrapers the cramped red decker bus they hopped on eventually arrived at the block near the building. They get off the bus and walk around the block where they are greeted to the most successful business in Daleville’s gate; the Novella Electric Company. Richard and Alice showed the guards near the gate their detective profiles and they are permitted access into the building. The reason Richard and Alie are here in the first place is because the cops couldn’t find any evidence in the building leading to further clues in finding their suspect.

Once they step into the building, they gather their surroundings around them. 

“Wow, this place is hu---,” 

“ Why hello there”, a man with a big red suit and brown khakis started to interrupt Alice.  “You must be the two investigators that I was informed of coming to search the premises. My name is Hamara Reindo. Currently, I’m the manager. The CEO, a bossy and crotchety old woman who spends most of her time hiring and firing our employees informed me that you would be arriving here sometime in the afternoon”

Richard and Alice didn’t know this at the time but Hamara held secret great disdain towards the CEO.

“ Now, do you have anywhere specific that you’d like to look at?” Hamara tells Richard and Alice in an ecstatic voice.

Richard and Alice tell them that they want to investigate rooms that had the most activity. Hamara tells them which rooms in the building always have the most activity. He tells them that the circuit room, control panel room, lab, and the electric battery are the areas with the most activity. Richard and Alice thank him and they each decide that they would start searching the circuit rooms first. They walk in the dark hallways of the electric company.

“You know what? For being an electric company, the halls are pretty dark. You think they’d be brighter,” Richard explains to Alice.

Alice agrees. When Richard and Alice enter the first circuit room they start to probe around it. They see and encounter nothing suspicious in the first circuit room so they decide to go into the second circuit room. When they enter the second circuit room, they see one of the electric cables pulled out of its sockets. You could see that the cord was electrically shot because part of the wire was missing. They also see a piece of a glass shard laying on a table adjacent from the circuits. Richard and Alice enter the last circuit room. They see a note on the table that has a written phrase. It read “The dues haven’t been paid yet. Remember a week goes by and someone asks why all of these kidnappings happen”. 

“This note couldn’t have been here for long,” Richard thought.

“Who would just leave this note here. It’s not signed or anything but it seems as if it was left here on purpose,” Alice says to Richard in a confused way. 

Richard puts the note in his pocket and they go into the  electrical control room. The only things they find in this room are clipboards that have different pieces of paper attached to it. The paper looked to be mainly notes. When Alice flips through the papers on the clipboards, all she finds are papers with different mathematical equations on it, table charts, stoichiometry, money statistics and the statistics of how much people rely on their company for electricity. Richard and Alice couldn’t find any inconsistencies  in the notes, but they told the man whose notes were on the table that they needed to take and analyze  them for their investigation.

Richard and Alice go into the electric battery but can’t find anything suspicious lying either. The only thing they could find was the humongous electric battery generator that was lying in the center of the room. The battery was generating a bunch of electricity and there were cables that were connected to the generator going through holes which lead to many different rooms like the circuit rooms. Richard and Alice leave the electric battery and go into the biggest room in the building; the lab. When they enter the room, the first thing they notice was the sheer amount of people who were in this room compared to the others. 

They start to fixate their eyes to something in a jar that looks to be tucked behind two binders after minutes of searching around the room. Inside the jar seems to be a collection of very unusual and disturbing things. Something you wouldn’t expect to find in a lab that is experimenting with many different electric experiments. What they see is a jar that had what looked to be a bit of human flesh, blood, and saliva. 

“What the hell is this?” Richard says in a shocked voice. 

“It looks like human flesh tinted with a bit of blood, saliva, and hair follicles,” Alice tells Richard. 

Richard shakes the bottle and wonders to themselves whether he and Alice should bring it as evidence. They agree and keep it in their hands. Richard looks at his watch and is shocked to see that it is already 6:30 pm. They need to report back to the headquarters at 7:00. They wanted to ask some people if they were able to be available for questioning tomorrow before that. The first person they ask is Hamara Reindo. He explains to them that he would be able to answer questions but his schedule is constricting.  They ask a bunch of other company workers if they’d be available for questioning and while most agree, some of the other scientists and different employers disagree for many different reasons. The sun is starting to set and the two investigators took the sub back to the north part of the business district. They enter the headquarters and go into the lab where they organize their evidence in easily accessible places. They report to the one who assigned them the case; Oranack.

They decide that they should discuss amongst each other what they found before they head to Mushong Cafe. They agree tomorrow they would leave early in the morning in order to question as many people as they could tomorrow. They start to pack their stuff from the headquarters and head for the Mushong Cafe. While Richard and Alice were investigating rooms in the Novella Electric Company, Todd and Monica were interrogating for evidence of their own case.

When Todd and Monica left the Hampton Headquarters around 12:30. They were headed to the police station which was super close to the headquarters. They were able to walk there. Monica started describing the type of guy they were about to interrogate for Todd.

“He’s a very aggressive man. He outbursts everytime he hears something he doesn’t agree with. He seems to be quite an intimidating enemy. The reason he is a suspect is because he was a member of the Anatolian Drug Gang. The recent victim of Vangard is determined to be a member of that exact gang,” explain Monica.

“I see. We need to use your wits in order to get information from him. It seems like,” Todd says in a shaky voice.

“Oh, brother. He’s scared again. What am I ever going to do with him?” Monica thought to herself.

They eventually arrive at the police station where they were ushered into an interrogation room after showing proof that they are Todd and Monica, the two detectives that were supposed to be there. They were now face to face to face with the one they were about to interrogate. Todd first asks what the guy’s name is. The man tells the two detectives that his name is Andres. 

They start trying to push Andres hard for answers to questions that they had for him. They first ask him if he ever saw anything suspicious on the day of Mckander’s murder. It took a while. Andre would insult Monica and Todd everytime they tried to get him to talk. Every time they grabbed a hold of him he would shove and attack them as a usher to back off. Andres describes what he and his cronies did on the day of Mckander’s murder. He first starts off by telling them the exact time he arrived at what they call their “Drug Den”.

“When I got to the den, our boss Alex gave us our assigned duty for the day. On that particular day, I was the one delivering drug packages to different people. It was a long and tedious day. I had to avoid getting caught while going to and from many different places in order to deliver the drugs to the right people at the right time. Mckanders was looking out for our den. He’d make sure that no one was suspicious of the area near our den or found our den. When I got back from my job me and the rest of the cronies made, bought off, and sealed our drugs in packages. Mckanders left just like he was when he entered the den. I've no idea what conspired with him after the fact,” Andres all said truthfully. 

Todd and Monica believe his story and asked him even more questions. Todd was glad that Andres was easier to deal with than he thought he would. They ask if he knew where Mckanders was going to go once he left the den. Andres told them how he said he was going to someone’s house that was located near the south side of the residential district which is considered the slums of Daleville. Andres told them that he never saw Mckanders again. Andres apologizes that he couldn’t be any more specific about the day of the murder. Todd and Monica realizes that this would probably be the case since he wasn’t an actual witness to the crime itself.

“Well, it looks like we’re not getting any more information from this guy,” Monica said.

“ You’re correct abo--holy crap look at the time. It’s already 6:00. I know we had to pressure the guy for a while but it couldn’t have been 5 hours already!” Todd shouted.

Todd and Monica decide to go to the headquarters in order to tell Oranack that they were able to successfully interrogate the person they were going to today. After talking to Oranack, Monica calls Richard to see if they still wanted to hang out at Mushong Cafe. Richard says he and Alice are still down and the four friends all met up at Mushong Cafe, a beautifully designed, French-style cafe to eat some  of the best sandwiches and pastries and discuss what happened at their job today. 

Richard and Alice tell Todd and Monica about the many different things they found at the Novella Electric Company. They tell them about the notes, glass shards, the electrical cords that were pulled out, and the jar with a bunch of disturbing things inside like the blood, saliva, and human flesh. 

“Ew, you found human flesh in a jar at the electric company? I wonder what and who in the world placed it in the lab. You did say it was hidden right?” Monica said in a disgusted way.

“That’s exactly what I said,” exclaims Richard.

Todd and Monica start detailing how their interrogation went.

“It was actually easier than expected. We thought Andres would be hard to get to talk, however after pushing him around, he started to speak on his own free will,” Todd says boldly.

“He’s not lying. He didn’t really give us any major evidence of how Mckanders died but gave us good insight on what Mckanders was doing on the day of the death,” Monica told the others.

They keep talking  to each other about work while eating some of the pastries they bought which included chocolate chip cookies, sandwiches, and cupcakes. As soon as Todd is about to speak, a skinny tall man with blonde hair, glasses, brown shoes, khakis, and his blue suit jacket comes in. It was Ridgemont, one of the detectives of Hammond Headquarters. He entered in a frenzy and started to announce to Richard and his friends.

“Sorry, the boss wanted me to go locate you and tell you something crucial. There is some person wreaking havoc upon the Hammond Headquarters. He is messing tearing up the rooms of the headquarters screaming at the top of his lungs “Gimme the Extermination Files,” Ridgemont says all this in a panicked voice.

“You're joking. Something like that couldn’t happen just out of the blue,” Alice scoffs.

“I speak the truth. He’s armed with two pistols wrapped around on his belt buckle and a humongous sword,” Ridgemont says while shaking.

“Fine, let's all go to the Hammond Headquarters. For all we know, something terrible could be happening to the headquarters,” Richard tells his friends.

Richard and his friends follows Ridgemont to the headquarters not expecting much. However, when they got there they were shocked when they witness the headquarters burning. They see people running as far away from the building as they could while some were running to take some of their evidence they placed in there before it got destroyed. Richard wanted to get the evidence he collected from the case out of the burning building. He starts to run in the direction of the headquarters and entered it. Richard could see the flames as he entered the lobby. He had to dodge the flames and rubble that got in his way.

The flames start getting heavier as he got to the north part of the headquarters where the fire apparently started. He collects all the evidence he could carry and his feet started wobbling. He was worried that the flames might consume him before he’s able to get out of the building. He once again has to get his way through the burning rubble that was making the way out of the building a maze. Right before he is about to leave the building he saw a silhouette of a man that seemed to have a long skinny and pointy sword in his hand with blood still dripping off of it. Richard left before he could see what the man actually looked like. 

Richard rejoins with his friends. Out of nowhere a man yells something. It is the mysterious figure.

“I told you once and I’m not going to tell you again. Give me the extermination file now. I won’t be disturbed if you don’t. You're just giving me a good reason for killing these people . The blood of these people is what keeps me fuel to live,” the mysterious figure said in a deranged voice. 

“Hey Stop,” Richard says in a firm voice.

“What are you gaining from this? Killing all of these people. Your still not get--

“Here are the files,'' Ridgemont says calmly. “Just leave”.

“Wait what are you doing?,” Richard says shakily.

Ridgemont handed over the files. He explains to Richard and his friends that this would end the guy’s blood thirsty conquest for now. 

“No, I won’t let him get away”, Richard tells Ridgemont.

Richard grabs his gun from his pocket and tries to shoot at the mysterious figure but it is quick to outmaneuver the bullets. He runs up to it in order to attack it with his fist knowing the danger of being sliced by the sword. However, already having the files in hand by the cowardly Ridgemont starts to leave.

The mysterious figure left with a big demonic grin on his face. Oranack who was having some of the two militia at the headquarters trying to attack the mysterious figure ordered them to stop. The building ended up collapsing entirely. The gang was shocked at the sight of this. Alice starts to cry. The place she had once been only 6 hours ago.

“I couldn’t even keep the Extermination Files safe for one damn day,” Orenack says infuriated.

Richad and his friends comfort each other. They decide that they should try to get over what just happened in their eyes before tomorrow by sleeping. They each go their own ways. Richard decides to watch some T.V before going to bed, Alice decides to exercise before she goes to bed, Monica decides to read a little, and Todd goes to play video games to escape from the reality of the world. They all agree they’d meet somewhere tomorrow to discuss what in the world just happened. They also want to know what everyone is going to do until they were told what was going to happen to them since their headquarters became damaged. They all didn't believe but before they knew it had a strong vendetta against the mysterious figure whose name they didn’t know. They all fell asleep before midnight. Tomorrow was going to be a very weird day.