Colt and the Hunt for One Shot Wilson | Teen Ink

Colt and the Hunt for One Shot Wilson

March 30, 2021
By Caleb207, Clymer, New York
More by this author
Caleb207, Clymer, New York
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Gunshots boomed in the night. I ran downstairs to see what was happening. When I reached the kitchen, I stared in horror out the window. My family’s entire ranch was glowing orange, encased in flames, that was when I realized that the house too was burning, and I was still in it! As I stood there with my mind in a panic, there was a loud SNAP! I looked up to see one of the ceiling boards splitting right down the middle! All of a sudden, I was tackled to the ground just as the beam split and came crashing down a few feet from me. Shocked I turned to his head to see that my older brother, Tom, was the one who had saved me. He reached out his hand and pulled me to my feet.

“Come on! We need to get to the barn. Its cellar is the only place that’s safe!” he shouted over the gunshots and the roar of the flames.

“Tom! What’s happening?!” I shouted in response.

“I don’t know! But if we don’t get to the barn then we won’t ever know!”

We ran through the burning house to the front door which Tom hastily knocked over. Then he looked back at me, and I could see the fear in his eyes which was strange because as long as I had known him he was never afraid of anything.

“Alright you’re going to have to trust me. We need to run to the barn and get in the cellar quick. Just stay down ok?”

I could tell by the tone in his voice that even he wasn’t sure this was a good idea, but he seemed out of options.  I nodded in tacit agreement. Then we ran, keeping low.  But through the smoke I could still see the outlines of men on horseback wielding revolvers. I couldn’t tell who they were or what they were shooting at, but I knew it wasn’t anything good. We finally reached the barn which was almost fully engulfed in flames, but I knew that since the cellar was underground, the fire would pose little threat once we were inside. We ran into the barn, but in the entryway, Tom stopped and stared back at our burning home.

“Tom, come on, the barn could collapse any minute!” He just kept staring at the house.

“No, you go. I need to make sure everyone got out.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

“No, Tom, it’s too dangerous! Don’t try to be a hero!” I answered; tears forming in my eyes. He smiled gently. He knew it was dangerous.

“I’m sorry, but I have to. If I don’t make it back,” he got down on one knee and looked me in the eye, “I want you to know I love you,” he wrapped me in a tight hug. The tears were now streaming down my cheeks. I didn’t know that those would be the last words he would ever say to me. Suddenly there was a loud crack! In an instant Tom stopped hugging me and shoved me with all his might out of the entrance as the front section of the barn’s roof fell and crushed Tom underneath.

“Noooooooo!” I shouted as everything went black….

I awoke with a start snatching my revolver off the nightstand and sitting straight up. Adrenalin pumping through my every vein, I pulled the trigger. There was a sharp BANG! And the little glass oil lamp on my wall exploded into a million tiny diamond like fragments.

“Great. Now I’m gonna’ need a new lamp…” I muttered to myself as I got out of bed setting the revolver back down and turning on the safety. I headed to the bathroom to get ready for my day which, by the way things were going, wasn’t going to be a good one.

***

As I entered the double doors of the local tavern everything went silent. The piano player stopped playing. The common laughter and shouting all ceased. All eyes were on me, but I could have cared less. They all knew who I was. They also knew why they shouldn’t mess with me, but none of that mattered. The only thing that did was a small table in the very back corner of the room where a man with a sheriff’s star (though he most definitely was not the sheriff) on his shirt lounged back in his chair, his feet up on the table. As I neared the table, he greeted me.

“Ahh, Colt! Please have a seat.”

“Sure, but I still don’t see why you insist on meeting here. Wouldn’t it be better somewhere more private and…” I turned to look around the room where everyone seemed to have forgotten about me and returned to their drinks and whatever they had been doing before “…civilized?”

“Civilized? Ha! Never thought I’d hear words like that coming from a top-notch bounty hunter like you!” Duke retorted taking a large swig of his drink. Then his face turned serious he sat up straight taking his feet off the table. “Alright now let’s get down to business, shall we? Seein’ how well you’ve dealt with your previous work you’ve caught the attention of some very important people. Now they want to send you on a… special mission.”

“Special mission?” I inquired. “Doesn’t that pretty much sum up all my missions?”

“Ha! Good to see you still got a sense of humor! But seriously this one is special” he answered.

“Ok, then what is it?”

Instead of answering right away he pulled out a rolled-up piece of yellowed paper and slid it across the table to me. Then sat back and waited for me to open it.

“They’re offerin’ you five-hundred for this job, must be somethin’ important,” he said as he swished his nearly empty tankard around a look of disapproval on his face.

“You mean to say you don’t know what it is?” I asked surprised.

“Listen ere’, Colt, that right there came straight from the guv’na. If I’d a-read that without the proper authorization I’d be a dead man ten times over by now.”

I took this to be a good enough answer and unrolled the paper which revealed an old wanted poster with the face of someone I thought I’d never see.

“Are you crazy!” were the first words that came to mind when I had looked at the paper. “You’re offering me five-hundred to bring One Shot Wilson back - alive! That’s an incredibly small bounty for such a dangerous target!” For a moment he just sat there staring into the depths of his tankard.

“Unless…” I thought remembering the other times he’d tried to con me out of some money. With such a dangerous target this bounty must be huge. “…you’re trying to snag some cash yourself.” I noticed the slightest hint of a smirk on his face, but it didn’t last long he quickly set down his drink and appeared genuinely hurt.

“Are you accusing me of conning you?” he asked sounding offended.

“You’ve done it before.” I stated simply, and at this he looked even more insulted.

“I told you their payin’ you five-hundred for this job!”

“Oh, come on! I know your lying! How much are they paying?” I demanded. He knew he was caught. He hung his head slightly and muttered something under his breath.

“What was that?” I prodded.

“Alright, fine! You got me! They’re paying fifty-thousand to whoever completes the assignment!” He crossed his arms and slouched back in his seat like a kid who hadn’t gotten his way.

“Well, where should I look first?” I inquired.

“They say he was last seen about a day’s ride south of here by a railroad station. The director of the railyard can tell you more.” After he said this there was a little bit of a smirk returning to his face. “If you make it there alive. I hear the way is infested with bandits.” I nodded then turned to leave, but before I made it out the door, he shouted from across the room.

“Safe travels Colt! I hear those bandits are everywhere.” Then I walked out of the tavern, got on my horse and rode south.

I had been traveling for most of the day. I was completely out of sight of any civilization when I decided to stop and rest as it was already growing dark. I dismounted my horse and looked around; there wasn’t much except for the occasional dead tree and cactus. It was… less than ideal.

“Well, buddy, looks like this will have to do for tonight” At this my horse let out a short whinny. “I know. I know. It’s not the best, but if anything Duke said was true, then it’s not safe to travel at night.”

I went to gather fuel for a fire. It didn’t take long, and soon enough I had a nicely sized campfire burning. beside which I laid down a small mat to sleep on, and shortly I drifted off to sleep. When I awoke the first traces of dawn marked the sky with brilliant shades of light. I got up and glanced at the ashes that remained of last night’s fire. That was when I noticed that the supplies I had brought had been trashed and many items were missing - including my horse!

“Thieves…” I muttered leaning down to inspect a set of footprints in the sand. I looked in the direction they were heading and realized they went towards the train station. So, if I wanted my stuff back, I would have to move fast. After collecting what I needed and could carry, I started towards the town.

As I walked, I began to wonder how the thieves could have done so much without waking me. However, my thoughts were interrupted when I swatted a fly from my shoulder and felt a searing pain in my arm. I quickly rolled up my sleeve and saw a large red bump on my shoulder with a needle-sized hole in the center. That was when it clicked - the thieves must have used some sort of sleeping medicine on me in order to take everything and not wake me up. I began to wonder where mere bandits would have gotten a sleeping drug. Perhaps the towns people would know. I then remembered that I was still several hours away from the town, and the bandits already had a huge lead. So, I quickened my pace, and hoped I wouldn’t be too late.

 

***

 

As I entered the town, I passed by a sign that read “Boulder Gulch” which was definitely a fitting name. The town seemed to have been wedged into a massive ravine that made even the tallest buildings look like pebbles. But no matter how much the town seemed to just barely fit, it was filled to the brim with people busy as ever. In some ways it may have been busier than back home. This shouldn’t have surprised me since this town was the closest train station to most of the towns north and east of here. I figured that the bandits would be on the train and headed as far from here as possible. The first place I should go would be the station, but I had run out of water a few hours back and was starving. So, I decided a quick stop at the tavern would do me good. I entered through the double doors and sat down at a table. Then I opened a menu. Looking at the prices made me remember the majority of my spare change had been taken by the bandits. I only had a small amount left. It should at least be enough to get some water and something to eat.

As I was contemplating what to do after I left the tavern, a young woman with brown hair and eyes as blue as sapphires sat down next to me at the table. I didn’t say anything figuring it best to keep a low profile. She didn’t say anything either until a waitress came to take an order. I was about to order when she spoke up.

“I’ll take water, and bring some for him too,” she said looking at me.

I set the menu down and said simply, “I’ll take some stew as well.”

“And I’ll pay for it,” said the young woman. The waitress nodded and went back to the kitchen. Then it was just me and the woman who had just bought my lunch for me.

“So, what’s a stranger like yourself doing here? Most of you travelers head straight for the train station and almost never stop here.” She sounded genuinely curious, but I had heard this sort of thing before. She was probably just looking to get out of trouble.

“Listen, ma’am, if you want a free ride then ask the rail master for a discount,” I responded flatly. To my disbelief she didn’t act offended as hitchhikers or people trying to charm their way into a free ride normally do. In fact, she did the exact opposite; she laughed.

“Ha! You think I’m one of those fools? No, if I wanted a free ride, I could get one whenever I liked, and I certainly wouldn’t need to ask someone like you. But seriously though, traveler, where’re ya from?”

I hadn’t even heard her question because my attention was focused on the silver medallion dangling from her neck. The last place I had seen it was years ago in the charred rubble of a home that had been burnt to a crisp.

“That necklace...” I stated, a thousand memories flying through my head, “where’d you get it?”

“Oh, some traveling merchant came through one day and gave me a good price. Why?”

“It’s… nice,” I said my voice sound far off. “Brings back… memories.” I could see she was about to ask me what I meant when the waitress arrived with our food snapping me back to the present. Which was good, what was in the past was in the past. After our food was on the table there was some silence between us, until the young woman spoke up.

“So, traveler, I don’t think you ever gave me your name.”

“I didn’t,” I stated. “I don’t give it to many people.” This was clearly not the answer she was looking for. The unsatisfied and slightly annoyed look on her face made me think that since she had ordered my food, I at least owed her this. “But if you must know, most people call me Colt.” This seemed to intrigue her.

“Colt, ay, that sounds familiar.” She started to drift off in thought, “Maybe it was something Wilson said…” at that she immediately had my attention.

“Something who said?” I asked suddenly very interested in what she had to say, but before she could answer a voice from the other side of the room.

“Wilson,” said a tall man dressed in black except for a large dark blue leather coat and a wide-brimmed hat of the same color. “One Shot Wilson,” he said as he sat down at the table.

I didn’t dare to move since this man was not only my target but was also the very man who’d killed my father in a bank robbery and helped the bandits who’d burned my family’s home so many years ago…

I had no need to check the wanted poster tucked in my satchel. This was him. The man I had been searching for even before I got the job. I had every notion to draw my pistol and shoot him right here and now. All my hatred for him burning; all my want for vengeance for my father rushed inside me. But I knew I couldn’t kill him; I needed him alive.

“I know you were sent to bring me in Bounty Hunter,” he said in a low voice, “but I figured it would be safe for me to show myself since you need me alive in order to cash in your bounty.”

“Trust me. That bounty is the only thing keeping you alive right now.” I seethed. He gave a short laugh.

“Ha! Son, if that were true, I wouldn’t have shown myself. I rule this town. Maybe not officially but none of them will go against me. They wouldn’t dare break my contract since that’s the only thing keeping them alive. You see if it weren’t for me this town would have been burned by bandits years ago. But ever since I made an agreement to protect this place, they all follow me.”

I looked around and saw several people watching us. I realized how reckless I’d been. For all I knew everyone in the tavern could be one of One Shot’s allies. I was still slightly confused by the first part of his statement since I could just draw my weapon and kill him. I’d have to fight my way out. Though my chances were slim, I’d been in tougher spots.

“Go ahead draw your weapon,” he said in a voice that almost dared me to do so.

I reached for my pistol and was surprised when my hand hit my thigh instead of the cold metal hilt of my revolver. I looked down only to find my revolver was gone. I looked back up at One Shot his smirk had only grown larger.

“I suppose Sarah, here, didn’t tell you she was a professional pickpocket,” he said as the girl who I now knew as Sarah slid my gun across the table to him. I looked at her in disbelief.

“Don’t blame me. If One Shot says it, I do it,” she responded with the slightest hint of a smirk.

“Now that you’re unarmed, bounty hunter, I would like to make a deal with you,” said One Shot, but I still had one more trick up my sleeve.

“Fine. What do you want?” I asked. Although, I had no interest in whatever his deal might be; my interest was in escaping.

“I’m glad you’re willing to comply,” he answered. “Listen, I’ve been having trouble with a nearby gang, part of a larger crime ring I suspect… But regardless, I want you to take them out. If you are successful, I will let you go and let you in on a little secret. If not, well, I suppose you know what happens then. What do you say?”

For a moment I began to consider it, but quickly stopped. Remembering my plan, I secretly rolled up my sleeve which was hiding a metal tube with a hammer, a trigger and a single bullet.

“No. I say no.”

 A look of confusion crossed One Shot’s face, followed by a look of disappointment.

“Well…” he sighed as I cocked the hammer which no one seemed to notice, “perhaps you’ll be more willing after a while in a cell.”

“I’d rather not,” I said simply then pulled the trigger. A loud boom echoed through the building. One shot fell to the ground clutching his leg. I quickly did a backflip over the booth we had been sitting at and ran for the door.

“Don’t let him get away!” shouted One Shot from the floor while Sarah called for help.

 As I neared the entry, two men in bandanas tried to block the door, but I was too fast. I planted my fist in the face of one of them and whipped him around anticipating his partner’s attack. Then I took the pistol from his holster and shoved him into his partner sending them both tumbling to the ground. I tucked the pistol in my own holster and within seconds was in the nearest alley. Figuring they’d be searching here soon; I quickly weaved my way through several alleys and eventually managed to slip undetected into the bustling crowd that didn’t seem to ever end in this town. I was safely hidden in plain sight… at least for now.

***

5 hours later

It was getting late, and I knew I couldn’t stay at a hotel. One Shot would search there. I thought about hiding just outside the city, but One Shot might expect that, too. I sat back in a wooden rocking chair just outside the local store, pondering what to do. As I was thinking I remembered my stolen gear and for a moment I thought of heading to the train station to search for it, but then remembered One Shot’s comment “I rule this town”. If this was true, the train station would be crawling with One Shot’s men who would almost certainly kill me on sight. It wasn’t a risk I wanted to take.

“Hey, can I help you with something?” asked a voice to my left. I immediately turned and saw a tall young man who I guessed worked at the store.

“I’m sorry I didn’t hear you. What did you say?” I asked simply.

“I said can I help you? You’ve been sitting here for almost three hours reading that newspaper, and I was wondering If you were lost or something,” he responded.

“Oh, no I’m fine thank you.”

He seemed to accept this and headed back inside, but he was right I had been here for a while. If he was starting to notice then no doubt others would, too. So, I left my newspaper and rocking chair and headed back into the maze of alleyways deciding that I should try to sneak my way to the local gunsmith then try and infiltrate wherever One Shot was staying. Capturing him using force was out of the question. His statement of ruling this town was proving truer every moment. I decided negotiation was probably my best option, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to have a reliable gun and some ammo on my side in case things got messy.

Before I could make it to the gunsmith, I encountered several masked figures. Upon seeing me they blocked my path. I instinctively reached for my pistol though the weapon that I now wielded felt strange in my hand since it was not my own. The four masked figures reached for their revolvers as well, but before any of us made a move a fifth figure appeared behind the rest.

“You’re outnumbered and outgunned. Come with us peacefully, and you might live,” he proclaimed. I had to hand it to him he was bold.

“I think I’ll take my chances. I’m not your ordinary stranger,” I retorted. At this he smirked.

“And I am not your ordinary thief!” he shouted as he drew his pistol and fired.

Fortunately, I had seen his move coming and was ready for it. I jumped behind cover just before he pulled the trigger. Then I fired three shots. One of which struck one of the four that had been blocking my way, causing him to topple over and the others to scramble behind whatever cover they could find and begin to take shots at me. Disappointed that I had missed two out of three shots I looked disdainfully at the firearm and realized that I only had one bullet left! Thinking quickly, I realized that two of them were hiding behind a pile of crates that were labeled “Sparky and Sons”. I remembered I had seen the full name of the company in the newspaper, “Sparky and Sons Explosives and Ammunition”. Crouching down behind my cover, I pointed my gun at the crates and saying a silent prayer pulled the trigger. There was a deafening BOOM and then silence. I looked out from behind my cover and looked at wreckage my shot had left behind. Everything was covered in soot and shrapnel.

After the sudden happy realization that I was still alive, a more terrible truth dawned on me; it wouldn’t be long before my location would be known. Likely the entire town had heard that. I needed to move and fast. But before I could go anywhere there was another explosion, and I felt a sudden sharp pain in my back. I turned around and saw another masked figure. In his right hand he clenched a smoking revolver which was pointed right at me. Then everything went black…

I stood there stunned the flames rising around me. Tom was dead. There was a loud CRACK, but I didn’t hear it. The chains of shock restrict any movement. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder and a voice in my ear.

“Colt! Colt! Answer me!”

I turned to see the brave gentle visage of my sister.

“Colt come on!”

She gestured for me to follow, and I did. We ran into the storage cellar. She closed the doors and looked at me, sudden confusion on her face.

“Colt? Where’s Tom?” she asked.

I tried to give an answer but all that came out were mumbled unintelligible noises, in between sobs. With a sudden realization she placed her hand on her forehead and slumped to the floor. She knew what had happened, and we both cried. The little diamond necklace around her neck glittered as a soft tear ran over it….

I awoke with a start. Remembering the alley, I reached for my holster, but my hands wouldn’t move. I looked around in a panic. A single lantern cast a flickering golden light on the dark walls that surrounded me. It was then that I saw the bars. I stopped struggling and let my cuffed hands relax remembering what One Shot had said “Perhaps you’ll be more willing after a while in a cell”. So, he’d caught me, and here I was in a cell for who knows how long. My thoughts were interrupted by two voices down the hall.

“So, do you think he’s dead?”

“Nah. At least I hope not. If he is the boss will ‘ave my head,” responded an older, gruffer sounding voice.

“You shot him in the hip, and he’s been laying there for hours. How’d he not be dead?” replied the first voice.

“How ‘bout this - if he’s dead, then I will surely be, too, so you can have whatever of my things you want; but if he’s not dead, then you take my shift…” he paused for a moment “for a week.”

“A week!” said the first one in surprise, but then he paused.

“Well?” pushed the first

“I’m thinkin’! I‘m thinkin’!” he retorted. “You got yourself a deal,” he finally decided

When they reached my cell, a tall bearded man looked at me. I didn’t move.

“You dead?” he called in a gruff voice.

I gave no reply. The other one, who was short and beardless, smirked.

“See? Dead as a doornail! Now let’s head to your bunk. I want to claim my prize before anyone gets any smart ideas.” As he started to walk back down the hall the other one picked up a stone and tossed it at me.

“Oh! Stop tryin’. He’s dead, and you know it,” groaned the other.

“Perhaps it would do you good to prove that you’re right before drawing any conclusions,” I stated. I couldn’t help but grin at the shear disappointment on his face upon seeing that I was most certainly not dead.

“Ahh, tumbleweeds!” he said kicking the ground in frustration. Then he looked at me desperately. “Could you at least pretend to be dead? Please?”

“I don’t think the boss would fall for that,” said the bearded one. The short man hung his head as the bearded man turned to me.

“I wouldn’t try to move with that hip.”

I looked down at my hip. My waist had been wrapped in a bandage, and there was a spot of red where I had been shot. I looked back up at him and said, “Thanks a lot.” He shrugged then they both continued down the hall

After what felt like ages sitting in the cold stone cell, I had almost fallen asleep when I heard a thunderous explosion at the other end of the hall. The explosion was followed by shouts and gunshots. Then I heard the sound of rushed footsteps as two men, masked in the red bandanas everyone here seemed to wear, ran by my cell. One fired his revolver behind him as he ran. After his shots there were two more quick shots from the opposite end of the room and the running footsteps stopped then. I heard more footsteps, but not as hurried this time and soon enough a tall man in a dark blue leather coat and matching wide-brimmed hat stood in front of me a smoking revolver in his hand, and a younger girl wearing a black dress and a shimmering diamond necklace stood by his side.

“Well, if this isn’t awkward, I don’t know what is,” I said. One Shot grinned

“It seems to me I was right. A little time in a cell did change your mind. You have unintentionally accepted my deal.”

This confused me since I thought he was the one who had locked me up.

“What? I got in a gunfight, caused an explosion, then got shot in the side and locked up by your goons! How is that accepting your deal?” I asked beginning to wonder if he really was the one who put me in here.

He chuckled then turned to Sarah, “How ‘bout you unlock this cell so that we don’t have to talk through these dreadful bars.”

Sarah grimaced, “Are you sure that’s a good idea? Seeing what happened last time you wanted to talk?”  This caused us all to look at the large bandage around his leg.

 His tone then got serious, “Listen, kid, if you swear to speak with me peacefully, then we’ll let you out. Also, if you try anything funny then we will shoot you, and remember, kid, it only takes one shot.” He said the last part slower, but if it was supposed to intimidate me it didn’t. His calling me “kid”, however, was slightly offensive.

“Fine. I swear.”

On the other side of the cell bars, One Shot nodded at Sarah who reluctantly unlocked and opened the cell. One Shot then stepped into the cell his pistol still drawn, but to my surprise and slight annoyance from the way he was holding it, he didn’t seem too afraid of me. To further add to the effect he sat down next to me, sighed and then spoke.

“Listen here, bounty hunter, remember back at the tavern I said if you accepted my deal I’d let you in on a little secret?” he asked a wry grin appearing on his face.

“Yes, I remember,” I answered still confused at how I had accepted his deal.

“Well, with your recent acceptance by leading us straight to the bandit’s hideout, I figured I’d let you in on that secret.” Before he could continue my confusion expressed itself.

“What? Bandits? You’re the one who put me in here!” I paused briefly, “aren’t you?”

At this he just laughed, “Ha! Kid you got a real sense of humor. If I’d put you in here, you wouldn’t just be handcuffed and in a cell like this. Besides the security woulda been a lot stronger than it is! Trust me. You would know if I put you in here.” I realized this was true.

“Ok, go on.”

His tone got serious again. “Ok, that secret? Well, it’s about your father.”

As soon as he said this, I leapt up from the seat as if it were ablaze. I wanted nothing more than to kill him right here, right now. But the sound of a hammer being cocked back into position and seeing Sarah pointing a revolver at my head was enough to stop me.

“Continue,” I said. One shot raised his hand and Sarah lowered her weapon.

“You see Colt,” he said at last using my name. “It wasn’t me who killed him that fateful night. No, I could have, I very well could have, but I didn’t because I don’t kill innocent people. However, I doubt it helped at all since the gang I was with had no such qualms, and he’s still dead…” he looked down at the floor and I could tell there was sorrow in his voice, but I still wasn’t sure whether it was genuine or some kind of cruel trick.

“How about we get outta here, and I’ll tell you the rest of the story after we’re celebrating our victory over these bandit fools.”

He didn’t really ask it as a question. I wanted to know more about my father, and I had my own reasons to dislike the bandits. If anything One Shot had said about my father was true, then I had every reason to help One Shot drive these bandits from the city and anywhere else they might be hiding. Though I was still skeptical.

“Fine. I’ll help you.” I said but added quickly, “but not because I believe you or because I want to help you but because I don’t like these bandits either and… I want my horse back.”

From the looks on One Shot’s and Sarah’s faces I could tell that the last part of my statement confused them, but that didn’t matter. All that mattered now was beating these bandits and finding out the truth.

As we made our way through the spiraling tunnels that comprised the bandit’s hideout, we eventually came to a large open room. There was an exit on the other side, but several bandits were blocking it. One of them looking very important. He wore a coat like One Shot’s except his was black, and he had a red bandolier that was filled with bullets.

“Well, if it isn’t One Shot Wilson, my old enemy, and with my prisoner no less,” he said in a threatening voice. “And what may I ask is a traitor like you doing here?”

“Traitor? I didn’t betray you. I was hired to do a job-”

“Which you clearly were incapable of doing!” the bandit interrupted One Shot. “Seeing that you couldn’t even kill a lowly teller, so that my father had to do it instead!” Then it struck me One Shot had been telling the truth! This changed everything.

“You’re right,” replied One Shot to everyone’s surprise, even the bandits. “I couldn’t kill an innocent man and not think twice. Unlike you, scum.” One Shot spat savagely. The lead bandit’s face reddened with rage.

“Enough of your talk!” he said reaching for his holster. I anticipated his next move. “Now you will pay!” he shouted. In an instant he drew his weapon, and a gunshot rang through the room. But the bandit’s gun hadn’t gone off. Everyone stood in silence until One Shot noticed his pistol gripped in my hand, smoking. The lead bandit then suddenly realized what had happened and looked at his hand. Streaks of red now marked his hand and a large bullet hole was through the handle of his gun. He fell to the ground clutching his hand; then turning to me he spoke.

“What in- how- who are you?” he asked through gritted teeth.

“I’m the son of that lowly teller,” I replied calmly, “but let me tell you this… my father was much more than a lowly teller.” Then his anger returned, and ignoring his pain he let go of his hand and pointed at the three of us.

“Kill them!” he shouted scrambling to his feet as they all ran for cover.

We ran back into the tunnel before any of them could land a shot. I knew that we needed to escape; if they called for reinforcements, we would really be out matched. I looked around and noticed that the wooden supports for the entrance to the room in front of us had rotted. Then One Shot’s words came echoing back to me.

“It only takes one shot,” I whispered. Then looking up I found the weakest spot, aimed One Shot’s revolver and pulled the trigger. There was an explosion of woodchips. At first nothing seemed to happen. Then there was a splitting sound that caught the attention of Sarah and One Shot who had been focused on the fight followed by another louder cracking sound.

“Run!” I shouted. We ran back the way we had come, just as the beam split and the entire section of tunnel came crashing down just a few feet behind of us.

“Kid,” said One shot, stunned, “nice job.” He was staring at the giant pile of stones that now blocked the entrance.

“Yeah, I gotta say I’ve seen a lot hanging around One Shot but that… well that was a first” said Sarah.

“Well, you know,” I said looking at the pistol in my hand, “it only takes one shot.” This made all of us grin.

Then One shot spoke up, “you know, I’d say the three of us make a pretty good team. How about we get outta here before this whole mine comes crashing down on us, and Colt?”

“Yes?” I answered

“What do you think about joining Sarah and me and helping get rid of these bandits for good? Because I know we didn’t get all of ‘em.”

 I thought for a moment. Despite having hated him for as long as I could remember, I now knew I really didn’t have a reason to, and besides I had started to admire the old man.

“Yeah, I like that idea. I’ll do it.” Then we walked back down the tunnel towards whatever adventures might lie ahead.

THE END



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.