False Gifted Destiny | Teen Ink

False Gifted Destiny

By HalRaMarie, Augusta, Kansas
HalRaMarie, Augusta, Kansas

I'm just a young teen that wrote this story based on a theory I have about the future. I just added my own twist to it. A unique point of view with a little fun. Hope you enjoy it!

One thing every teenager hates is definitely sitting down with their parents for a talk. But for me, a dreaded talk might have saved her life, and I wouldn’t be in this state. I am in a coma. I hear everything but am not awake. I try to focus on the doctor’s words, but all I can think of are all events that led to where I am now. 

It all started two weeks ago. My mom told me she got a job as a scientist for the gifted but with a different company and in a different town. I was disappointed, but I didn’t make a scene. At least I get to meet and make new gifted friends. The gifted included the kids and teens that were infected in the chemical super blast of 2040. On the news, they explained that mixing 21 different chemicals with acid and a certain blood type gave 68% of the United States population their destined power. 

Sadly, I wasn’t one of them, but my mom had been a scientist for them for two and half years, so I became friends with several of them.  Her job did require us to move halfway across the country, but I didn’t mind since we moved to Supernatural Charlotte. It was known to be the most magical town in North Carolina or even in the whole country. 

“Javelin, We’re here.” my mom told me with her natural gentle toned voice and a warm smile.

“Finally!” I exclaimed. 

It was the most beautiful sight, with blooming flowers, and healthy trees. It was all so blinding. I stared out the window admiring the view till I got to the new house. After fifteen more minutes of driving, the car came to a stop. I turned my head to look at my mom. She began shaking uncontrollably, cold sweats dripped down her face, and her pupils shrunk to the size of a cracker crumb. 

“Uh, Mom are you okay? We’re here now..right?”

She looked up into her rearview mirror and with her shaking voice slightly whispered “Yeah, yeah honey. I’m doing fine but hey why don’t you do me a favor, Please unpack the trunk for me.” 

I decided to not answer her and just get out and do what she said. She seemed to be losing her sanity. I felt as if I were to say another word it would end up sending her over the edge. So, I just slammed the car door and opened the trunk but as I drug the first box out, my mom must have forgotten there was a hole in the backseat which made me able to hear everything she said. 

“You can do this Rilee. It’s simple. Build an invention that can destroy anyone that has fallen victim to your accidental super blast. Everything you do; you do for her. Everything you’re doing is so Javelin can have a better life. Right. It’s for her.” 

What did I hear? I couldn't wrap my head around this. I heard her seatbelt unlatched, and my heart raced. I scrabbled to make it seem like I was clueless.    

Hopefully, she would believe my charade. 

“Well, you haven’t gotten much work done back here,” she laughed with the same warm smile that my mother owned. 

That woman wasn’t my mother. Not in the slightest. She had to be a monster. When I was younger, she spoke of equality and justice but that idea was gone. There’s no justice anymore, but I had to know the truth. I need to find it.

“Javelin, are you okay? You’re breathing is quite irregular. Do you need to sit down?” Mom asked me with an annoying concerned look on her face.

“Yeah, of course. I’m fine mom, but I think I’m going to walk around the neighborhood and see if I can meet some new people.” 

My voice cracked and stuttered multiple times throughout that sentence as it parted ways with my mouth into the open air.

“Yeah, okay if you really want to I guess that’s fine,” Mom said with a disappointed tone, but I didn’t mind it.

I didn’t hesitate to run away and get as far as I could from my alleged mother. I slowed down and went north, and that’s when I met her. The girl that would change my life forever. I saw her running along her driveway playing basketball. She looked like a masculine beauty. I watched her wavy blonde hair blowing in the wind and the sun reflecting off her rainbow streaks making them glow in pure daylight. When she looked at me, I saw her beautiful emerald eyes. Her skin looked as fair as Shakespeare said it would be. It felt like I was falling in love on sight. I had to talk to her.  She looked in my direction with the brightest smile. “Hey, are you new here?” I heard her shout towards me. 

“Uh, yeah I am. How could you tell?” I shouted back.

She giggled and I blushed.

“Oh, I know all the kids and teens here, and there are only three others including you and me but the rest of this neighborhood is full of extremely strict and conservative grandparents,” she spoke so calmly and confidently.

“Hey, if you don’t mind me asking. Why do you know all kids and teens within this neighborhood?” 

She laughed nervously.

“Well, if you promise not to scream, I can tell you.” 

I looked into her eyes. “ I promise.” 

She looked at me and muttered, “I am gifted.” I was so happy. I started dancing, and she looked at me weirdly. 

“Show me your gifts!” I exclaimed joyfully.

“Really? Okay, I guess.”

She flicked her wrist then a piece of the galaxy was in her hand. I could see the colors and the stars up close. I was starstruck. Literally. “ Is that all you can do”? I asked her as nicely as I could.

“No, My gifts are actually deadly, but the galaxy, the one I control, is the only beautiful part of it. I’m probably classified as one of the most dangerous teens if you just take a look on the FBI’s website. Honestly, I think you’re too nice and sweet to see the whole thing. Just don’t get me mad or be around me when I’m mad. I tend to become a whole different person. Can you promise that to me, please uh..?”

“Javelin. Javelin Ray.” I told her with a bright smile.

“Promise me that, please Javelin Ray.” She got down on one knee as if it were a proposal. 

I got down to where she was, took her hands, and whispered in her ear, “Only if you agree to be with me for the rest of my life.” 

She looked at me with a tear in her eye and nodded. I smiled so much that my cheeks got sore. I felt so happy when I thought about her answer that day. When I looked at her it was true love at first sight. I hoped I would see her at school tomorrow as I skipped on home feeling the happiest I’ve ever been. I saw how much she trusted me even though we just met. It made me feel so special, but I was unsure if I could trust her as much as she trusted me. 

I had to deeply think about it and think about if she could possibly help me with the issue I was starting to have with the woman that claimed to be my mother. While in mid-thought, I approached my new doorstep, hesitating to open the door because I was unsure of what I was going to walk in on, but when I pushed the door open it looked like a normal household. I saw the couch surrounded by boxes and suitcases. I heard the TV in the other room. It sounded like it was on the Food network. The woman who claimed to be my mother wasn’t in sight. At that point, I came to the realization that I’d disowned my mother in a way. Mostly because I couldn’t believe she would ever hurt anyone, but I prayed I was just crazy and the woman who raised me was still there. 

Before I knew it, I was passed out on the couch. I had a rude awakening the next morning. The woman, actually named Rilee who claimed to be my mother, smacked me in the face to wake me up. I didn’t think it was appropriate, but she obviously didn’t care. I had to get ready and go to school, but I planned to do my private investigation later. I ran the mile and a half to school. I was already late, and my outfit didn’t match at all. I dressed like a 2000’s misfit. I guessed other people noticed because they bullied me that day. 

“That looks disgusting new girl,” went one comment. 

“You look like a drug dealer,” went another.

But I didn’t mind the comments since they were only people’s public opinions. I never let anything faze me, but when a group of juniors decided to pour their lunches all over my head and dump milk and egg whites all over my hair, I shed my first tear. I guess the girl that I met in my new neighborhood saw this because the cafeteria became dangerous.

The juniors chuckled “What you gonna do about Cece!” they snarked at her. It was then a  cold breeze filled the room and the bright sun disappeared and was replaced by an enchanted galaxy. 

“Leave her alone!” Cece shouted at the juniors. 

Her eyes were gone instead you stared at pure darkness. I watched as the rainbow streaks that once glowed in sunlight turn into streaks of darkness. Her everyday clothes changed into a designer outfit. One that triggered fear into the eyes of the juniors. Cece levitated off the cafeteria floor and created the largest mass of midnight power I’ve ever seen. I knew she had the best intentions but I knew it was getting out of control. She had trouble maintaining control. I knew then I had to interfere. My feet moved toward her, but the winds coming from her power tried to restrict my movement. I pushed through with all my strength. I saw a bright light glowing in the sky. It was so bright, I had to use my hand to shield my eyes. 

“Cece! It’s Javelin. This is getting out of hand. Please stop this and just come into my arms. Please there’s no reason for this. Cece please.” I shouted hoping it would calm her down.

I was about to see her eyes again, but she grew to have a scared look on her face. 

“Javelin,” she whispered. 

“That’s right, come to me, honey.” 

She gracefully fell into my arms, and the power she released became a gas and blew away. The only thing I could do was hold her close and let her know everything was alright. She started bawling in my arms and apologizing to everyone. When I looked up, with one glance I could tell everyone was extremely terrified of her. I walked her out so she could be alone with me and so she could gather herself. We ditched school and went straight to my house. I knew my supposed mother would understand. After a mile and a half of speed walking, we arrived at my house.

“Mother, We have an emergency.”

She rushed in looking like a mess. “What’s going on.”

I sat Cece on the couch so she could rest.

“Cece had an issue during school, and she’s lost a lot of power. She needs to be reenergized now!”

I remember that worried feeling I got when I saw her pass out. I’ve always known it was a bad thing when a gifted teen used too much power because it could cause nausea, a coma, or even death, but seeing her in this condition absolutely terrified me.  I knew, since my supposed mother was a scientist for the gifted, she could help.  Cece looked as if she was having a hard time breathing. I thought I was gonna lose her. “Come on Javelin! We need to put her in my downstairs laboratory.” My supposed mother yelled in a striking tone. I carried my beloved Cece down those stairs then laid her on the table. I watched as my supposed mother treated her. Injection after injection of random mixtures. I was unsure what was happening.

“She’ll wake up within the hour.” I had a moment of relief. “Okay, Thank you.” forty-five minutes later, she awoke but had a terrified look on her face. 

“What’s wrong? You’re safe he-”

She grabbed my wrist with a tight grip and started to huff n’ puff. “Who is your mother and what is planning to do to us!” 

“I-I dont know anything, Cece. I-I mean I know she’s a little suspicious, but that’s it.” 

“Ugh! Javelin, that injection she gave me triggered a vision of her desired future.” She let go of my wrist and grabbed ahold of my hands.

“ Wha-What?” 

She looked me dead in the eyes and said “Your mother is going to destroy us.”  

Cece jumped off the table and started to pace. “I need to teach you the power of light now!” 

“ Wait, what is the power of light?”

“It’s more powerful than my magic, and that’s all you need to know.” 

“So, you wanna teach me magic, but for what purpose?” I was confused. I couldn’t quite understand where she was coming from. 

“Javelin! If you don’t do this, your mother will be the death of us.”

Cece took a deep breath and explained to me what she saw. She told me about the blaster she saw my supposed mother made and the tragic after-effects of what she was doing. I honestly couldn’t believe it for myself.

“Alright, Cece. Let’s do this.” 

When she started training me, she didn’t waste a second. First, I had to master meditation, then yoga. Afterward, she gave me a spark of light. The spark of light was meant to be put inside me so through practice and training it could grow to be a massive amount of power within me to release when used. Through the process, I remember being terrified, but I was able to learn many great spells. Like SunWave, Bursting Light, and Sun Streak. Cece even used magic with me. When we mixed our powers together we could create cataclysmic destruction. Over this time period, I got to learn more interesting facts about Cece and she got to know more about me.

But, after two weeks of training and practice my supposed mother caught us. This day ended up being the last day I saw her. Both of them. 

“Javelin, What are you doing over there?” 

“Uh, Nothing. It’s nothing.” I hesitated

“Sure.” She obviously didn’t believe me. 

She looked over my right shoulder and my lights, “Um Javelin, why are there golden lights floating behind your back?” she asked me.

“Uh, those are Ceces’.” 

She still didn’t believe me, and the look on her face told me she knew we were onto her. Cece sensed this and pulled an attack right out of the gate.

“Moonlight clavory!” Cece called out. Her night soldiers appeared, and I watched the battle begin. I watched Rilee take a few hits from Cece’s moonlight army, but when soldiers disappeared, she started laughing hysterically.

“Do you really think she could best me? You must be out of your mind. You know deary, I got a little power of my own, and I’m not afraid to unleash it!” 

“What? How could you have power? It was only teens and children.” 

“Well, you see I was the lab rat in that project, and therefore I was the first to get power. So, I rule over you! I’m the goddess of despair! The almighty Rilee Rae.” 

Cece scoffed. “ Oh my stars Javelin, Your mom is frickin’ insane.” 

I giggled, but in the same instant, Cece busted out black feathered wings, took off, and hit Rilee with her Star Strike. Rilee then used some sort of streak of darkness, attempting to slash through Cece. With a dodge, Cece launched another attack. Attack after attack. I watched them go at it. I felt so useless just watching. I knew there was no way I could fight. Not this battle. Ten minutes passed, and they both landed on the ground. Rilee had a bruised face, bloody nose, and broken arm, while Cece only had a large bruise on her stomach. It was chaos. Cece had some trouble standing, so I ran to her side. Rilee stood up no problem and made her way over to the panel and set her invention to self-destruction. I guess she knew she had no chance. 

“Destruct in one minute,” the automatic voice announced.

Cece struck Rilee with another Moonlight Clavory then went to the panel to turn it off, but there was no way. Cece cast a sleep spell on Rilee causing her to sleep for at least 15 minutes. Cece is naturally good at electronics, but when she looked at it, she saw there was no way to fix it. 

She turned to look me directly in the eyes and said, “Javelin, the only way to save people is to stay behind and perform Star Sphere.” 

“Wait, what!” 

The ground rumbled beneath our feet resulting in us falling down to our knees.

I rushed to her. “You fought as long as you could, but we need to leave this place; it’s about to blow,” I whispered in her ear as I attempted to pick her up.

“Javelin, stop. Please leave me here; I need to be here. I can control the explosion. You have to go now! Please.” 

She struggled to get on her feet. With a limp, she went to the center of the underground lab. 

“Cece! No, don’t do this. We can find another way. Just come back to me.” 

“I can’t. I have to do this. My star sphere can contain it, and you haven’t learned sun sphere, yet. “But I know you’ll find a better teacher than me.”

“Go on Javelin!” 

“But Cece I-” 

“I said go!” 

I ran with tears in my eyes, “I love you.”

“And I love you. We really could have been something, ya know? I will hold you in my heart. My Sweet Javelin.” 

“I feel the same.” I heard the door slam behind me then the explosion gave way. I was blown off my feet and then didn’t hear anything.

My brain is blank after that. I’m just here in a hospital bed feeling sorry for myself. I have no one. No one in the world.