Serena's Journey | Teen Ink

Serena's Journey

By hali BRONZE, Efwgq, Missouri
hali BRONZE, Efwgq, Missouri

My name is Serena Varlett and I’m a witch. I live in a small town called Stonebridge. Stonebridge was a quiet town that was hard to find, upon moving here I got lost several times. There were a couple humans who loved among us but they were oblivious to the fact that witches and mystical beings lived besides them. Sure, on the outside it’d look like every other boring town but once you really looked, there was no going back. 

Every woman and girl here was a witch and every girl was taught how to cast spells, make potions, and find their familiar until they became of age. I was still a witch in training but my grandmother says that I have a lot of potential. I’ve been living here my entire life and so has my grandmother and late mother.

Everyone knew everyone around here, all the adults were friendly with each other and we were expected to get along with everyone as well. But there was one person both me and my grandma didn’t get along with. Suzie Hepply and her hag of a mother. Her mother, Merida, wasn't a good type of witch either. She always caked her face with tons of makeup and tried to use spells and potions to slim her meaty body down. She also cast a really bad spell on my grandmother which made her unable to use her legs anymore. So now she was bedridden.

I never really liked Merida, but because of what she did to my grandma, I despised her. The head council of witches favored Merida because she was their kin, no one suspected she would do such a thing so they called us liars. Because of that they never punished her for what she did.  I also despised her daughter who would tease me about my grandmother at school and speak ill about my late mother.  I tried to find a way to break the spell because Merida wouldn’t. Breaking the spell would mean that Merida cast the spell. She’d be caught. 

There was a legend of some sort, that a little way from the town was a forest filled with spirits and magical beings who protected not only the forest, but our town from wizards from monsters and evil wizards that live in the dark side of the forest. Not many were able to see them though. I wasn’t one hundred percent sure but I heard that within the deepest parts of the forest lives Strelizia, ruler of the forest. Every witch and wizard knew about Strelizia. She was our town’s secret. And just as she protected us, we protected her from outsiders. I really hoped to see her one day.  

Before my mother passed she used to keep books that were all about the forest and everything magical within them. The books were passed down from generation to generation and contained the true secrets of Strelizia and the forest. The books were special and only passed through the Varlett bloodline. So it was finally my turn to use and protect the books. There were too many bad people out there who wanted to get their hands on it. Too many people who wanted the book for their own selfish desires. 

Mother always warned me to not speak about the books or the forest often, that whatever beauty that lies within it should be kept secret. Even the other town people had no idea it existed. Many have tried to burn the forest down in search of Strelizia because of the great powers she held and her immeasurable beauty. Strelizia had the ability to not only heal, but destroy. Her power was not one to be in the wrong hands. 

I walked back down the hill to our house with my cat, Hin, following behind me. We walked side by side until we got to the big oak doors of our home. Slowly pushing the door open I yelled, “Grandma, I’m home!” I set my bag on the ground and took off my shoes. I went to Grandma’s room to see that she was fast asleep. I took a piece of paper and pencil out of my notebook and began writing.

“When you see this I’ll be gone already, I’m going into the forest to find Streliza and ask her to break the spell that was cast on you. Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. And yes, I packed food for me and Hin. If you get lonely, call Ms. Penny next door. Please take care until I’m back.  Love you always, Serena.

P.S. I’ll try to be back soon!” Grabbing my bag off the floor, I skipped into the kitchen and packed a few sandwiches, plenty of water, a couple fruits, candies, and something for Hin to eat. I looked down to see him rubbing against my ankle, purring. Hin was a black cat with white spots around his eye, ear, back, and various other parts of his body. He’s been with me since he was born and I love him dearly.

“We’ve got a long day ahead of us.” I mumbled. I stuffed everything into my bag and placed Hin in my hoodie so he wouldn’t get tired. I looked at the clock and it read 8:15 am. It was time to go. I walked to the door and slipped my shoes back on, getting ready to leave. Grabbing my backpack, I turn around one last time. I’d miss her. I know I wasn’t going to be gone long but I still would. I wonder if she’ll be okay. I shook my head, trying to forget all my thoughts at the moment. If I’m not back by tonight then Ms. Peters will stay over with Grandma. Hin already informed her cat, Tip, and relayed the message back to Ms. Peters. She’ll be fine.  

I took a deep breath, staring at the entrance of the forest. Hin stirred inside my hoodie so I let him out. “Stay close.” I said. Hin began running into the forest. “No. I said stay close!” We didn’t know what dangers could possibly await in the forest, Hin might go too far and end up on the dark side. The dark side was where all the evil spirits and troll people lived. They didn’t harm anyone unless they came onto their part of the forest uninvited. 

I huffed and followed after the feline. We ran and ran and ran. Trees passed by us in a  blur. I didn’t notice that the trees around us were glowing until Hin abruptly stopped. The sound of chirping and a stream nearby filled my ears. Chittering animals were all around us. But they weren’t the only things.

I gasped as a ball of light flew past my face. The spirit flew around my head a couple of times before settling down on a nearby tree branch. I watched as it took its natural form. Its body was translucent and its eyes were as if they were made from pearls. And as if on cue, multiple tree spirits appeared. All watching me. The tree spirits had no nose, no mouth, ears, or even hair. All that was on their body was their beautiful eyes, fingerless arms, and toeless legs. I knew that if city folk were to discover them they would hunt down every tree spirit and steal their eyes, and this is why they had to be careful who to trust. They were magnificent.  “Can you take me to Strelizia?” I asked them. 

The tree spirits began to hum. “What is your name, child?” I could feel them in my head. But that didn’t bother me.

“Serena,” I answered. 

They beckoned me to come over and I did. The sea of tree spirits parted until one slightly larger than the rest stood before me. I knelt down and let it place its hand on my head, my eyes closing on their own.  I fully trusted the spirits from what I read in Strelizia’s books. I knew no harm would come to me. Such divine beings could not be capable of hurting an innocent person. I could feel the spirit inside my head, looking through my memories, seeing me. I shivered as goosebumps spread across my skin. My entire body was filled with warmth and I was at such ease that I forgot about Hin.

The tree spirits stopped humming at once. “You have a beautiful soul Serena, we will guide you to Strelizia, but it is up to her if you will get her help or not. We hope everything goes well for you and may your grandmother be rid over that horrid curse.” I let out a big smile and engulfed the spirit in front of me with a big hug.

“Thank you so much,” I gushed. And in a way, I could feel them smiling too.

“Now,” they all spoke at once. “Follow this sylph and it will guide you.” A gigantic butterfly appeared before me, flapping its glorious wings. The sylph flung a gust of wind towards me and Hin and I laughed. It felt like a cool breath tickling me. The tree spirits were all gone, but they left a pile of glowing dust at my feet. I grabbed a handful of it, inspecting it. I decided to take it home with me so I wrapped it up in some spare cloth I had. I read something about tree spirit dust in the book my mother gave me. 

The sylph led the way and I grabbed Hin, letting him eat inside my hoodie and grabbed some sandwiches for myself. “Would you like some?” I offered the sylph. It glowed before shaking its wings twice. I took that as a no. 

We walked in a comfortable silence, branches and dead leaves crunching under our feet. I looked over and saw a stream, I didn’t notice the sound of it until we got closer because I was too busy marveling at the sylph. Silver, blue, pink, green, there were so many colors of fish that astonished me. Little wings sat on their backs and they used them to fly around the stream. They seemed to be playing. I didn’t get to watch them for too long because Hin was urging me to pick up the pace. I did because I did not want to lose sight of the sylph. 

“We are here.” The winged animal announced. Before us stood the tallest tree I ever saw. Its roots seemed to go on forever and its leaves looked as if they were made of gold. I held out my hand as one fell above me. It had a very soft texture and I felt like I was tainting its beauty just by looking at it. The tree seems to breathe and exhale as if it was alive. Maybe it really was alive. 

“Everything in the forest is alive my dear,” said a beautiful voice. It was a woman’s voice. Strelizia. She stood around eight feet with long, curly hair framing her body. A horn stuck out of her head and her eyes seemed to hold the galaxy. Strelizia wore nothing but the earth as she smiled at me. She truly was heavenly. I felt weak in the knees just looking at her, it didn’t even cross my mind that she could read minds. Even Hin was shaking inside my hoodie, but not from fear. She laughed. Her laugh was a pure sound, it was so clear, so gentle, but yet it rang throughout my body.   

Strelizia floated towards me. “I know what you are here for dear.” she smiled sweetly at me. “I want to help you Serena, I too once have had someone I wanted to save.” I blushed when she said my name. I bowed my head, mentally yelling at myself for forgetting my manners.

“I would be grateful if you do. You really are beautiful and I'm blessed to be in your presence.” I looked her in the eye as she picked me up, holding me in her arms. 

Strelizia placed a kiss against my temple, “Such a sweet child.” She grabbed a couple of strands of her golden hair, handing them to me. “Give these to your grandmother. She must eat all three strands and nothing else for an hour.” She caressed my hair, putting me in a daze. 

My heart was frantically beating in my chest. I felt so safe. “Thank you, really.” I breathed. Strelizia placed me back on the ground before saying goodbye. I was sad to see her leave but I didn’t want to take up more of my time.

But before she left she grabbed Hin from my hoodie.  “I can’t forget about you,” she said ruffling his fur. “Such a beautiful feline.” Hin purred loudly.

Handing him back be me, Strelizia turned back around and disappeared. “Goodbye, I hope we’ll see each other again.” I waved my small hand.

“Follow the trail and it will take you back home.” said a voice. I turned but no one was there. Dumbfounded, Hin and I began walking down the trail and out of the forest. We didn’t see the sylph or any tree spirits along the way back, I was disappointed but I knew they probably had other matters to attend to. I didn’t notice the permanent smile I wore as I walked through the streets of my town, earning stares from a couple of people. I glanced at the thick, golden strands of hair in my hands. It all just hit me that I met Strelizia, and I had a feeling that I’d be seeing more of her in the future. 

“Wow, Hin.” I sighed dreamily. I had to be one of the luckiest people ever.  Suddenly remembering my immobile grandmother, I ran down the street towards our home. It was still light out and I was grateful for that. I sent Hin over to Ms.Penny’s house to let her know that I arrived and ran up the steps and flew the door open. I ran into my grandmother's room, instead of sleeping she was now reading a book in her rocking chair.

“Granny you won’t be able to believe it!” I jumped around happily. “Eat these first and nothing else for an entire hour.” I shoved the hair towards my grandmother who looked at me with a soft smile on her face. She ate all three strands without questioning me. 

Hin walked into the rooms, circling around grandma’s feet. “We met Strelizia and the tree spirits, and an actual sylph! It was all so beautiful, Strelizia was just beautiful. I wish I could live in the forest and see them every day.” By the time I was finished I was sitting on the floor next to my grandmother, clutching her rough, warm hands with my own.

“That sounds wonderful dear, and thank you.” She kissed the top of my head before squeezing my hands.  “I don’t know what I would’ve done without you,” Grandma said, her voice shaking. 

I engulfed her in a hug, her old body leaning into mine. “You’ll be as good as new granny, let's wait this hour out by watching a movie.” I helped her into her wheelchair and pushed her into the living room. I played a random movie and buried myself into the soft, worn couch. I smiled, proud of myself as we all settled down, Hin included, and the movie began. And ever since then, my grandmother has been able to walk again.