The Fire Story part 2 | Teen Ink

The Fire Story part 2

By Jaylen2004, St.louis, Missouri
Jaylen2004, St.louis, Missouri

“Hey kid you there kid wake up!”

I can faintly hear the captain’s voice as I begin to recover from blacking out after I figured that the captain is alive.  Once I finally recovered I saw the captain just stare at me like I almost died or something. “Captain, how are you alive?”

“Well you see it a long story but if you sit their and listen I can tell you really quickly how I’m alive”

I nodded and the Captain told his story.

“Ok when the fire started I was still in the building but the crazy thing is that the one who started the fire came to the back to try and stop me from escaping the fire. So with him in my way we began to start struggling to try to over power each other, and eventually I overpowered him and tossed him down to the ground. When I asked him why he did this he didn’t answer but then a pipe dropped down on him and he was gone. Before I left the burning station I searched his pockets and found a note in his pocket, but I couldn’t read it then because the station was on fire, so I ran out the station and went into hiding until you came and found me.”

“Wow that was something, so the body that we put in the ground was actually the guy who got his face smashed in by a pipe and then burned alive?” The captain nods. “So you hid until you had to get more food or something.” 

“Something like that I guess,” the captain spoke. 

“But if you were alive this whole time, why hide from us? I’m pretty sure everybody at the station would understand your story if you gave us the time to get everything done.”

The captain's face changed from happy to anger,  “Sometimes you have to do things that you think are the best for the people around you, and if that includes faking my death for all  you to get somewhere then I will do th--” 

Just then banging at the door stopped the captain from speaking. I have never seen the captain drop to the ground in my life, and next I knew he pulled me onto the floor and put his figure to my mouth telling me to be quiet. 

“We know you're in there. Captain, give us what we want and no  harm will come to anyone you love.” There was a three second pause and the voice continued, “Ok since you don’t want to talk we will be back but if someone you love gets hurt in that time period of you not wanting to open this door, it’s your own fault.”

We stayed on the ground for a while. On the ground I looked at the captain's face which shifted from joyousness to pure anger. I have never seen the captain’s face filled with so much anger before, and I was scared to see that. 

We finally got off the ground because it was safe and it was getting late so I had to go and leave the captain. But before I left I asked the captain, “Who was tha--”

“IT NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS KID JUST GO HOME. AND ACT LIKE YOU DIDN’T HEAR ANY OFF THAT AND THAT YOU DO KNOW THAT I’M ALIVE!” The captain yelled.

I nodded my head as to agree with him as I walked out the door and headed home. But on the way home I couldn’t get that feeling out of my head of who those people were that knocked on the door, and what did the captain have to do with them.

The next day at work we really didn’t do much because no fire had happened since the captain's supposed death. The job gets really boring when there are no fires, while talking to some of my team members I accidently said that the captain was alive. Of course he didn’t believe me because he thought the captain had died but he didn't. I let it go and said, “Let's get this station back together and running like it had before.”

A couple months later we got the station fixed back up and running again. We did little things in the city to help out the people like getting their cats out of trees and other stuff but what we didn’t know is that doing all of that we let our guard down and it was the perfect time for him to strike right back at us again. 

It was just a regular day at the station but then we got an urgent call saying that a fire had started up. We really didn’t think much of it because a fire can randomly start up so we got ready and went off to the fire. 

When we got there I felt like something was off because there were much closer fire stations to where the fire was, and they should have been alerted to it before our fire station. I didn’t really think much about it after that, but what really made me really know that something was wrong was that once we got there, there wasn’t a fire. Then we heard someone over the radio that two fires had popped up randomly near the inner part of Sancetery and that area is close to where our station was at.  At that moment I realized that he had returned to wreak havoc on Sanctuary. The arsonist was back and none of us could have been ready for the terror he would cause on the people of Sanctuary and the town itself. 

With the arsonist coming back and starting fires all around Sanctuary we had to be on our guard because we never know when they are going to start but sometimes even while we were on guard they would still find a way to catch us off guard and make us look bad. Sometimes they would even start little fires to toy with us because they knew we wouldn’t be able to catch them. 

They did this over and over again until one day they got bored and set fire to the retirement home and this one was bad. We only had a limited amount of time to get everybody out of the home. So we got our gear on and sped off to save the people of the retirement home. Once we arrived at the retirement I yelled “two of you come with me and the rest get the stuff to put the fire out.” Me and the others rushed inside to get as many out as we can. As we rushed in the smoke got heavy and became hard to breathe in. 

Once we got our first couple of elder people we headed back outside but the building was becoming more and more unstable. I wasn’t sure that we would be able to get everyone out of the house in time. We went back in and rescued a couple more elders but when we tried to go rescue more people the building collapsed.  As the building began to collapse we all had lost hope so to stop the fire from spreading to other places we began to put the fire out. Originally we planned to get everyone out and then put the fire out but that wasn’t the plan any more so we put the fire out and contacted the police to bring the ambulance because we knew that no one survived the collapse of that building. We put everything back up, got in the truck and drove back to the station in silence. 

Three weeks later the mayor of Sanctuary is set to do a tv press to address what happened at the retirement home and about the other fires that have happened since then.

“People of Sanctuary I know you all are worried about the fires and everything else especially since I know a lot of us have lost someone because of the retirement house fire and collapse. But trust me, the fire station and our police department will catch this person or persons setting this town ablaze.” 

Yes the mayor's speech was good but people still panicked, some packed their bags up and left Sanctuary some stayed back to trust everyone in the town. Knowing that everyone was where they were, the one thing that we need to do is find the arsonist and find out why they do what they do. It was hard the next couple of days. The fire just kept getting worse and worse, we put one out and another one would pop up. But even though this keeps happening it would lead to be one of the best things to have happened. During one of the nights a fire popped up as usual so we went to the spot where the fire was but when we got there I saw a weird figure so I told everyone to put out the fire while I followed the weird guy. As I followed the figure turned around and saw the face of someone I didn’t expect it to be the captain. The Captain turned back around and continued walking as did I. I was just very silent. The captain stopped as someone emerged from the darkness to speak to the captain. 

“Did you get it done just like I asked you to?” the figure asked.

“It’s done,” the captain responded.

“Good, now all that is left to do is to get rid of all the loose ends,” the figure said.

“Yea I know let's just get this over,” the captain muttered.

With that they walked off but instead of following the captain to question him I decided to follow the man. I didn’t know what to do when I caught him ,but it was something I had to do if I wanted to catch the arsonist. I followed him for what felt like an hour until we stopped. We were in front of my fire station and what I saw next will haunt me for the rest of  my life. I saw the captain walk into the station and start shooting everybody in there. Me, being in shock, and I let out a gasp alerting the dark figure to my presence. He came up to me and I didn’t know what to do. As the figure continued to walk towards me I started panicking because what was it going to do to me when it was here. The figure took one more step and that's when I made the move I jumped but I guess they figured I would do that because the last thing I remember was a fist connected to my face before I was dragged away.