Aether Chronicles: Creation of destruction | Teen Ink

Aether Chronicles: Creation of destruction

September 13, 2021
By Mojo, Chandler, Arizona
More by this author
Mojo, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Toss my pain with my wishes in a wishing well-Juice wrld


Author's note:

If this book does well on here I intend on posting the rest via chapters at a time

The author's comments:

if this gets a good enough review I will post more bits to the story

 This endless void that my body floats through is cold and damp. I cannot feel my own body, for I have none, I cannot think of an escape for I have no mind to use. What exactly am I?

The vacuum goes on and on for an eternity, but how do I know this if I do not have a brain? How am I sentient without a mind or body? I am just a helpless aether beast gasping for air, cast out by Zeus himself, hated by Amun-Ra, forgotten by all the mortals who once feared me. This endless void that my body floats through is cold and damp. I cannot feel my own body, for I have none, I cannot think of an escape for I have no mind to use. What exactly am I?

The vacuum goes on and on for an eternity, but how do I know this if I do not have a brain? How am I sentient without a mind or body? I am just a helpless aether beast gasping for air, cast out by Zeus himself, hated by Amun-Ra, forgotten by all the mortals who once feared me above all else, and forsaken by Odin. I hardly remember my name; did I have one, to begin with? I think Ojom would be a decent name for me, perhaps.

Yes, Ojom is a brilliant name. Now I believe it is time for me to find a body. Did I ever have a body, to begin with? Did I barely escape death with my soul, and that's why I'm nothing more than a floating wisp within the aether? Who's to say? The counteract of death would be life. What life did I create? How was I cast out of being a god? How do I even know I was a god, perhaps a: daemon, human, or even a fish? No, I'm certainly not a fish.

I'm positive I'm a god. But where are my powers? Where is my body? I cannot do much godship without a bloody body! I have devised a plan, I shall find a way to regain a physical form, then I'll regain whatever power I had lost in the first place, and then I shall kill Zeus and take my place as King of the gods!

Before I may set this plan into motion, I must find my good friends Aphrodite and Athena. No, not Athena. She might tell her father that I mean to kill him. She is his favorite child, just Aphrodite, I suppose. She already doesn't care as much for Zeus as Athena. Wait, how do I know that either of them might be my good friends? I don't remember a bloody thing! In the new plan, I'll find Seshat, the Goddess of knowledge. Maybe she will find my memories and restore them. I shall begin at dawn! ...What time is it?

I think that I've found out what I am exactly. I am essence. But the essence of what? Am I just gas floating through the void, or am I perhaps the essence of an old life, the one I cannot remember. What if I'm wrong? I don't think I am wrong, so if I'm right, how should I feel about being someone's revenant?

Nevertheless, if I'm essence, I can find out how to restore my physical form and actually: talk, see, smell, and feel. All I have to do to find my physical form and locate whatever parts of my essence I'm missing to make up my completed essence. Right now, I'm just a fragment of the essence, perhaps the sentient fragment. I wonder what I would look like? What do I even look like right now? Maybe if I were to center myself well enough, I could see outside myself without eyes, which means I'll just hardly be able to see my surroundings.

Twenty minutes of meditation have given me sight! I can see around me. I'm in a sandstone town with a large lake in the center. All the buildings are beautiful sandstone adobes; there are people around me, they have wings and spears, Valkyrie Guards? Yes, I believe that's what they are. There are also sizable brawny men with beards and two tomahawks. Perhaps Berserker guards? Many of these beings don't have weapons but instead books and scrolls and other miscellaneous things. How do I know their race name if I don't even remember my name? Oh well, I'd instead not think about it too much, for no answer I could think of would make sense whatsoever nor satisfy me. I can see myself; they're all walking through me like I'm just some ghost, I can't say I blame them, I

Found a way to see through their eyes and see what they see and even hear what it is they're thinking. Their minds are tangled in a giant web of thoughts. If I focus and untangle their thoughts, I'll be able to see every memory and every thought that is currently swirling in their minds.

After watching what they see for a little while, I realize they cannot see me at all! After going out of their minds, I know that my appearance, the one they cannot see, looks like golden space dust. Perhaps if I concentrate enough, I could create a temporary show of my form, and maybe these Valkyries & Berserkers would help me find my essence! I focus my spirit to condense it and bring it to what I assume is the physical world. Before I succeed, I see an apparition come out of one of the Berserker guard's bodies and start attacking me. But somehow, I don't feel the cold steel of his blades, just the fear of death. What the hell am I seeing? The apparition suddenly disappears, and I can see the Berserker's actual vessel sits atop a roof and doesn't seem to move, was this prophecy of some type? Does my essence have some form of prescience ability regardless of not having form? Like a power that can't be taken, one unique to my own. If this is the case, I'll adequately know the best choice and the worst.

I think it best I leave this village of Odin spawn and find my essence as intended. Focusing the rest of my energy, I see that my essence is in one of the many sandstone buildings in this village; after looking around a bit, I realize this is rather more of a city than some humble village like I'd hoped. But that's not what's important right now; I must first find my other essence before appreciating anything. To my surprise, my essence is in some sort of grand library, right dead in the center, hovering over a few tables and between two massive bookshelves. It's just sitting there for the taking; all I have to do is go up there and absorb it. I slowly float over to it, and now I'm just a few steps in front of it. It's so close to me. I can hear the sounds of a voice coming from it. I can hear myself. I float into it, barely touching it, and it all starts flying into me. As soon as I completely absorb it, a loud shriek flies through the entire library, and all the valkyries are drawn towards the center where I am. The sound suddenly stops, only for a sonic boom to pop everyone's ears. I feel the enhancement within my essence; I can speak like the rest of these beings. I wonder if I have an accent or a deep voice, perhaps a lisp! No, I'm more than positive I don't have any sort of lisp. 

There is only one way to see what my voice is like. I float over to an unsuspecting viewer of the incident and start to whisper in her ear. "Go outside." the valkyrie is confused and stumbles around, clearly afraid, "go outside, and into the sunlight" it was then I realized the aether has a sun. I wonder what else it has. I believe that I'm in some sort of realm. How delightful.

The valkyrie had gotten up and was calling for help. "GUARDS, GUARDS!" two muscular Berserkers came to the Valkyrie's aid, "what is it?" she looked around and looked back at the guards. "You two don't hear it?" there was a quiver in her voice. She had thought she was going mad. "No, they can't hear you. Now go outside before they throw you into the dungeon for going mad." she gets back up to her feet, fear-stricken on her face.

Perhaps that's why she obeyed regardless. As soon as she called off the guards, she went outside and took a deep breath, "who the hell are you?" what would I tell her exactly? I don't know my real name, but I just gave myself one out of the blue. "I'm not certain what my name is, but you may call me Ojom," she mutters the name in an attempt to remember if she's heard of me. I break into her thoughts and erase all memories that include my name from before 30 minutes ago before she can even get an idea of what I might be. However, I didn't know what those memories were. I didn't have time to look through them individually, so I just looked for keyword memories with my name. I won't risk my intentions being discovered. "I'm afraid I cannot allow you to do that, I don't even know who I am, but if I'm something bad, I'd likely not want you or me to remember it, now that we've gotten through the basic introductions" I float over to the other ear and enhance my voice "what might your name be my dear little valkyrie" she swats at her right hand in an attempt to bat me away but to no avail.

She then begins thinking I'm not next to her, "where are you?" I then float in front of her face and concentrate my power to show my form, but I see that the future is not in my favor in the middle of the process. "Go into that alley, young valkyrie" she turns and sees an alley but looks around for a brief moment "why do I need to go into that alley?" she turns and starts to walk "because if I show myself, five guards will attack and kill you in the crossfire" she stops and looks around "how do you know that?" I sigh and float around her for a moment "because I can briefly see into the future when a dire situation comes forth, now go into the alley" she continues into the alley and is at a safe distance where the other Odin spawn cannot see us.

I concentrate my power enough, so my essence appears with dim light, and she sees my physical form and takes a step closer "you're just essence? Where is the rest of you?" I slowly fade from my physical form and fly over to her ear "that is an answer for another time. Right now, I will give you tasks, and you shall obey" she then moves around the alley, trying to face me. Although she cannot see me any longer, "and if I don't?" she crosses her arms and pouts, that face she makes, it for some reason doesn't fill me with rage but instead makes me chuckle, which only builds fear in her "because if you don't obey me" I slowly creep towards her. I am now a few inches from her face "then I will make you forget everything and everyone that you love, and leave you with no memories, no knowledge, and no idea as to of what to do in the middle of the desert, and trust me that might just be worse than death, especially when you have no powers to use as leverage like me" she takes a step back and ruminates her only option.

After a while, she accepts her lack of options "fine, I'll do what you wish; what is my first task?" I give a small chuckle and pass through her and start to hover just above her head "well, first things first, you must tell me your name. I'm genuinely curious at this point," she shuffles, trying to look around for me "my name is Dae" She is clearly annoyed by her lack of choice in this current matter, but then again, who wouldn't be? I fly down and give her a stare down and show my physical form "it is wonderful to meet you, my dear, Dae" she walks out of the alley. I disappear while following her "now that we are acquainted, my dear, I have my first task for you," she keeps walking and talks under her breath so that no one can hear her. It looks like it's just some typical day "what is it?" I fly in front of her and give her a quick whisper, "I want my body back, you need to go out to the desert where the replica of the pyramids from the human realm lye, there we will find my real physical form, and I will be able to get what I desire" how do I know precisely where my powers are? How do I know what all these things are? She looks at the front gate and then looks around. "I can't do that. Ever since the daemon gods' recent pillage, citizens are not allowed outside the city walls. Anyone caught outside is either kicked out of the city, or they get their heads chopped off, and I actually want to keep my head" I stop her by breaking her train of thought "hush, my dear, that is not a problem. That simply just means that we must find a way to get your ruler to allow us outside for a full day, perhaps promise him that we will take care of the daemon gods." She walks over to what I assume is her adobe and struts through the archway into her home "how do you figure we can take on a daemon god?" she sits on a small hyena skin sofa and grabs a book to read "oh it's just one? Perfect, you forget I can see and change both of our fates, making it, so the daemon god is no match for our ability. If we're lucky, perhaps we could kill it and take its gold, or perhaps I'll absorb its power" she closes her book with a laugh, "and you think that will work?" she sits there and thinks for a moment, "fine, I'll ask for an audience with Phearosh, but no killing" she jumps from her sofa and starts to write a letter and ties it to the leg of a gold and white dove. It flew off to a sizeable towering palace where I can only assume the King is.

She sits back down and starts reading her book again "so now what, my dear Dae?" she looks up from her book and gives me a rather heavy sigh "now, we wait" she goes back into her book, and I begin to show my form. Though she didn't say it, I could tell she would never have imagined it would have been this bothersome to have a spirit trail her every move.

Merely two days later a letter came for her, and she was so excited because she thought it meant that our living together would come to a rather sad end. And here I was, thinking we were getting along.

She opens the letter and starts scanning it. "I can't exactly know what's happening without you telling me. Read it out loud," she turns to me and starts reading it to me, "to whom it may concern, your wish to go beyond the wall and take care of the daemon god has been accepted. You have all but forty-eight hours to kill this man. If you do not return by then, we will assume you are dead and auction your house. Godspeed, and good luck" she hugs the letter and grabs an archery set and a shortsword, and goes off to outside the wall "slow down, Dae, I'm a walking talking soul, I'm about as fast as an obese human," she turns around and notices me trailing behind "well pick up the pace ghosty" she seems to be really excited to be rid of me. Do I feel somber? Do I have some form of emotion? Because if so, then that would mean I think of this Valkyrie as my friend. No, if I grow attached to her and end up needing to set her as an expendable asset, this will come in the way of that. I must stay strong, and I cannot get attached.

Soon we are at the pyramids. Come to find out, it's nothing like the pyramids in the mortal realm. The pyramid's peak seems to be made from a material that gives it a universe-like appearance. It's three times the size and made from black stone and gold trims. Every now and again, a ball of shadows and blood would fly around the tip and then simply disappear. "Is that where you wanted to go?" Dae questions, "I'm not saying I'm scared or anything but seeing as though shadows and blood is flying around, I don't think we should go in there." "You're going to fight a Daemon god that is forcing your people to hide behind their walls. This shouldn't rattle you." I begin moving towards the pyramid, and Dae follows.

I see an apparition of a shadow ball flying through me and hitting Dae, "duck." I latch onto her physical form so I can keep up with her as she flies. "Why?" She looks confused as the ball begins to fire out of the pyramid, "DUCK!" I yell into her ear with a booming voice, and she narrowly dodges the dark ball. "What the hell was that?!" She yells, "barrel to the left and swiftly to the right," I reply. She does so and dodges two more balls. "It seems there is a proximity-triggered defense mechanism within the pyramid." I see another apparition "fly up." She gives one big flap and narrowly avoids a ball knocking her out of the sky. "Try explaining that but be slow and imagine I've never been to school a day in my life." Three more balls fly towards us, and she stalls her wings, so she dodges them. "Basically, we're too close for comfort, and now the pyramid is a tad bit mad" I see another apparition, "pull out your sword and slice." She does so, and the ball disappears on contact. "If that's the case, shouldn't we move away from the murderous temple?!" "Absolutely not! One way or another, I'm getting my body back," I reply.

We've closed enough distance with the pyramid that we begin circling it, and the speed that the projectiles are firing begins increasing. "Get closer to the base of the pyramid. There's an opening that we can get into, and we'll be safe from the projectiles." She slowly flies lower, narrowly avoiding the intense projectiles. "Where's the opening?!" "Keep flying." She zips across the base of the pyramid as fast as she can until we find the entrance, and she jets into it. When we get in, the projectiles following us crash into the top of the entrance forcing it to collapse and block us in. The gold trims inside the pyramid begin to light up and illuminate the path inside the pyramid. I begin to show my form, and we progress deeper into the pyramid. I locate the general direction of my physical form and make our way to it. When we reach the massive chamber, the walls are made of flesh and tissue. Blood spurts from the ground periodically. In the back of the chamber, there is a beating heart with pulsating energy. "That's my heart. that means this is my body." "The room?" Dae looks around the room for a moment and shudders, "I really don't like the idea of standing in your guts." She takes a step out of the chamber, "just get whatever it is you need to get and let's go."

I move towards the beating heart. It beats faster the closer I get to it. When I'm just a few feet away, the heart opens up, and two beings of dark essence fly out and begin circling the room. One of the beings shoots a bolt of purple lightning at me. It was the most painful feeling I could even imagine. Another one flies at me and hits me again, putting me in immeasurable agony. "Dae, please help me!" my screams are slurred as the lightning slowly eats away at my aetherial form. Dae rushes in and starts firing arrows at the shadow wisps, but the arrows fly through them. All the arrows do is slightly redirect the lightning for a moment with their steel tips. "My arrows aren't doing anything!" Another bolt of lightning hits me and makes me wail in intense pain.

"Shoot them when they shoot me!" I yell. One more hit, and I'll be vaporized for good. Dae shoots just before one of the wisps hits me, and the lightning redirects to her arrow, striking the wisp instead. When it hits, the wisp is incapacitated, and I extend a limb made from my essence to it. The other wisp begins to fire away at me, but Dae shoots it, and it is incapacitated as well, where I then extend my limb to it. "Suffer under the horrid pain you've unleashed unto me!" I yell as I send out the currents of electricity that my body has been storing. "Submit, hellspawn!" Just before they are entirely vaporized, I absorb their essence and double in size.

Though I could take their essence just fine, I could not take the lightning they were firing at me. But that's not what's important now. My body is in that heart, and now nothing is stopping me from getting it. I slowly creep towards the muscle, and it beats rapidly. I extend an appendage to the heart and connect with it. The appendage becomes blood, and the blood clots and grows flesh, and the walls of the chamber shrink into the heart, and the heart shrinks and runs through my limb and centers itself within me, flowing blood through the rest of my essence, forcing it to take the shape of a human male. Dae runs out of the room to escape the shrinking while all of the veins and tissue creep over me and set me in a cacoon. Three minutes go by until the cacoon starts to dry and crack. With one thrust of my fist, I break the cacoon open and fall out in a pool of cold blood. Covered in it, I rise out, and the blood slowly drips off of my person. As I rise, cloth forms around me and covers my body. Long black silky hair sprouts from my head, reaching the bottom of my neck. My skin is smoothed and tanned. My facial hair is stubbled, and my eyes are green with an almond shape. I take a look at my thin arm, and it shifts and morphs itself into my image; after a few minutes of morphing, my body mass and general fat. "Hey, as appealing as it is watching you go from tall to short and from muscly to fat, we have a Daemon to hunt." I snap back into reality and nod. I then settle on a 6 ft fit shape.

We advanced to the Daemon god named Fotiá because of his ability to control fire with an impressive form. Dae and I traveled for half an hour until we found where he was hiding, more or less sitting. He was sitting in the middle of a burning village and in a circle of roasted corpses. He was simply waiting for us. My apparitions begin, and so do my instructions "make a sharp right" without hesitation, Dae pivots to the right with full strength as Fotiá threw a fireball that narrowly missed us "stop flying and just fall to the ground. I'll catch you," she completely stalls her wings. She plunges two dozen feet from the sky "fire an arrow before you reach the ground. You'll hit it" she shoots and hits the Daemon in the forearm as I fly down to catch her. He was charging up a fireball before the arrow hit, making his flame die out and forcing him to use his other hand, which he isn't very accurate with. He started to miss by more and more with every shot.

She follows every command I command and entirely dodges him and gets every shot in "close some distance with him and slice his thigh" she speeds over to him and cuts his leg, forcing him on one knee. She puts her blade to his neck, and he is left without choices after that, and he submits to defeat. "You are now a prisoner of the holy empire," Dae tells him his situation and his rights, but I then grab his neck and lift him a foot above the ground. Dae exclaims in surprise, "Ojom!" he is gasping for air, and Dae has her bow drawn at me "put him down now!" I looked over at her and started to choke him harder. He needs oxygen to use his powers and fuel his flames. because I'm cutting off his airflow, He is as powerless as a baby. "I need his powers Dae, I won't let you stop me," she aims the arrow at my skull "put him down now!" I tsk and shake my head at her.

"I can see into the future. This is futile" Dae shoots an arrow, and I backstep and easily avoid it, and it lands into the daemon's side instead. He lets out a groan and writhes pain, "I'd preserve my strength if I were you," I chuckled. Apparently, no one saw that funny. everyone's a critic. "I will not be stopped for anything" as I finish my sentence, she looks at me with murderous intent. She will kill me if she has to, but I think she'd feel remorse. Have I become her friend? Why does my gut feel horrid? Why does my body feel weak? What is happening to me? "Drop him now, Ojom" I tighten my grip on Fotiá, taking a small amount of his overall power, and he passes out. "No!" she shoots her bow once more, and I grab the arrow by the shaft. "Foolish Valkyrie," I snap the arrow in half. Does she not see that this is futile? Why does she fight me?

Perhaps I'll have to terminate her. NO! I will not harm her, but I don't understand why that is. Emotions are trivial, and I have none. Therefore I do not see her as my friend, right? "I won't let you kill him without the king's say" She is but a few seconds away from firing an arrow through my skull and putting me ten feet under. "Put him down now" after every word, she breathes steadily with an aim at my throat. Unfortunately, these trivial emotions leave me with minimal options "fine," I drop him to the ground and kick him. He wakes up gasping for air.

I kneel down to him and look him in the eyes "you still are not off the hook, daemon" I tap on his forehead three times to signal that I will kill him soon enough. "that, I can assure you" I stand up and face Dae "Do with him as you wish. I have what I needed and have held up my end of the bargain, and now I can go get my own power" I began to float and was right about to leave when I felt a tug on my leg, "wait, you're leaving? After all that, just pack it up and go?" "You make it sound worse than it is," I say reassuringly. I shook my head and slowly went down. "I intend on returning, my friend, do not fret." I looked up and saw exactly how far my powers were. "I won't be gone for long."



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 22 comments.


s377534 said...
on Oct. 18 2021 at 12:47 pm
s377534, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Very nice read! Keep up the good work.

s378948 said...
on Oct. 15 2021 at 12:10 am
s378948, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
I've never been so attached to a book but its just that good, keep up the good work!

MongkulSean said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 10:34 pm
MongkulSean, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
This story is very good!The good details want me to keep reading.Keep up the good work!

s355507 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 7:50 pm
s355507 BRONZE, Chandler, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
This story is very good, you've added great sensory detail. It's like I'm in the story too! I like how you also make smooth transitions and amazing descriptions.

s377826 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:53 pm
s377826, Az, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
this story is so good and detailed i love how everyone is put together

ReynaR said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:34 pm
ReynaR, Phoenix, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
This is very good! I love the detail you put and the beautiful words you used!! :)

s353027 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:33 pm
s353027, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
Such a beautiful piece of writing! Never stop no matter what anyone says because you truly have a gift. (Justine)

s396172 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:31 pm
s396172, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
i really like how descriptive you are it’s something i’m trying to work on myself. overall great story can’t wait to see more :)

LoreleiH said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:28 pm
LoreleiH, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I like how you worded your introduction and made it very catching and intriguing.

s354953 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:26 pm
s354953, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
this is amazing! i was hooked from the beginning! keep it up!

s416605 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:23 pm
s416605, Chandler, Arizona, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 5 comments
Very descriptive, and detailed would love to see more!

s416605 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:23 pm
s416605, Chandler, Arizona, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 5 comments
Very descriptive, and detailed would love to see more!

s353027 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 6:22 pm
s353027, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 4 comments
This is an incredible story! The description is amazing and the story plot is wonderful.

DanteT6 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 1:03 pm
DanteT6, Arizona, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
The story is amazing, the descriptive words are so good that I can picture what is happening and the amount of research and other things that must be put into the book are great dedication.

on Oct. 14 2021 at 1:03 pm
aylafresquez123, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I love all the detail you had and great word choices.

333Sohan said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 1:02 pm
333Sohan, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
You did a good job! the book is great!

KarimeR said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 12:58 pm
KarimeR, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
I really enjoy your story and the detail you have in it. As I read I could imagine a picture of what you wrote in my head. I hope there us more to come.

on Oct. 14 2021 at 12:49 pm
Ilovetowrite202-, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
I like how many descriptive words you used! I could visualize it in my head!

Mp6 said...
on Oct. 14 2021 at 12:47 pm
Mp6, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
Great job! You used great sensory detail and word choice! Keep it up!

on Oct. 14 2021 at 12:42 pm
GothReginaGeorge, Chandler, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
What an interesting concept.. Very creative