project 863 | Teen Ink

project 863

By Bhouseholer, Conneautville, Pennsylvania
Bhouseholer, Conneautville, Pennsylvania

PROJECT 863 Book Two: The Disturbance 

“Matt, where are you going?” I yelled over the commotion. 

“Home, I'm going home,” Matt said. “Why?” I yelled

“Because this is useless.  We have been on the search for days and we haven't found anything, And now we are 200 miles away from home in an airport!” Matt yelled. 

“But please don't, I need your help. I can't do this by myself.” I said sadly, “this isnt our fight, this is a 25 year old investigation ivolving a murder,” Matt said “I need this antidote or I will die. I only have 5 days then it's over.” I said sadly 

Matt stopped and turned around and said “We will go back home and find some.” We flew on the next flight back home to California from Nevada.

THE CLOCK STARTS: 5 DAYS LEFT

“It's 12 o-clock, it's time to go.” said Sam i have a new lead to a location with antidote its syntec location 3 it’s an hour a way. It Looks abandoned so we will be alone.” I explained,

” Fine, we can go now.” He said 

Location 3

“It looks old.” I said

“I will try the door” said Matt

the door opens, “That's a surprise” Matt whispered

door locks behind them, “NO!” They both yelled

“The door is locked, well let's go on” I said with a sigh

The rooms we see look like an abandoned shelter with random pieces of street signs and metal. Then we find the vault. We step into the vault and there's two tapes I hit play. The vault closed and locked behind us. The video started “welcome to the winning side of syntec deb the serum bomb will disperse in 3 minutes.”

“What's a serum bomb?” we questioned worryingly.

The serum dispersed in a thick vapor in the room and Matt passed out. After the serum settled the door opened and they crawled out in a daze Matt then got up and said 

“Was it a  trap for us?”

“What did the guy mean, welcome to the winning side of sintec?” asked Matt. 

“I don't know.” I said quietly. 

All doors unlocked and we left swiftly.

BACK TO OLD ROOTS

DAYS LEFT 4

“So we are both infected now.” I said

“Now what?” asked Matt. 

“I'm out of ideas of where to look for an antidote .” Matt said 

“Let's go back to where it started.” I recommended 

“and where is that?” Matt asked

“The parking lot we bike in,” I said

THE R.S.D.

We arrived at the parking lot that was old and filled with holes and cracks.There's a box next to a building labed “MATT” so I went to get the box.

“What do you think is in here?” Asked Matt

“Maybe It's another bomb or more serum.” I said worriedly. 

“If it's one of those, why does it have my name on the box?” Matt questioned

Once we got back we opened the box and inside was a computer from the 90s.

“What is it?” I asked

“It says RSD on the side.”Matt said 

“what does that mean?” I asked 

We powerd it on and the screen said “radioactive signal detector RSD property of syntec.” Then a map showed on screen.

“That's my house.” I said, 

“This is all of California.” Matt said

“And what are the red circles?” I asked,

“The box says those are radioactive zones.” Matt said. 

Then the alarm went off. It said “EXTREMELY HIGH RADIATION IN YOUR AREA!” with a red circle around location 3. Then suddenly a loud fire alarm sound started. We Both panicked and shut the computer off. Then turned it back on to see what that was. It showed again but no alarm. When we closed the computer a piece of paper fell out. The paper read “ subjects who have been injected or have inhaled the prototype serum can withstand more radiation but at a cost. Subjects 4 and 5 have been experiencing severe back and chest pain and say they can taste metal. Which could be caused by the lithium in the serum. They are expected to live 10 more hours.”

“Do you think we have the same serum?” I asked worryingly

“If so, we don't need to worry about radiation.” Matt said

“Did you not read what that said about the pain and death!?” I yelled

“It's fine we will find the antidote and we will both make it.” said Matt comingly 

THE ANTIDOTE

DAYS LEFT 3

We went back to location 3, and the door was open like someone was there.

“Was the door like that when we left?” I asked

“No, someone has been here after us.” Matt whispered

We walked inside and found a person sleeping on the floor who looked at us and mumbled something and rolled over. 

“What's your name?” asked Matt

He rolled back to us and got up but didn't say anything. 

“How do you know about this place?” asked Matt

“Deb from the d3b folder on the computer” The boy said

“Are you infected? I asked

“Infected with what?” asked the boy

“With the serum.” I said

“The red one?” said the boy

“yes” I said

“Us too” Matt said sadly 

“Do you have any back or chest pain or taste of metal?” asked I

“No?” said the boy

“I found the antidote, but only one.” said the boy

“Where did you find the antidote?” asked Matt 

“Location 1 at 1521 willow street” said the boy

“We need to go now Matt” I yelled 

“Can I come?” asked the boy

“Fine but be quick” Matt said

1521 willow street

The place is full of abandoned buildings and trashed cars. We continue on and we get a sudden smell of the serum. Which smells like cherries

“Well looks like the right place” I said 

“Smells like it too” Matt said  

We walked into the building that the boy didn't explore and found broken serum bottles in the front door.

“so , what's your name?” asked Matt

“Woods,” answered the boy

“Let's split up and cover more ground” Matt said

“I'll go left, sam you go right, matt you go strat.” said Woods

We all went different directions but Sam found something disturbing. I found a man standing in a room with a mask on that has piping and the serum bottles connected. He was standing over a body.

“Get off him!” I screamed 

The man got spooked and ran, so we went up to the guy on the ground. He had a name tag that read “WESLEY NETHANOL” and a lab coat that looks like it was 10 years old with rips and parts missing from it.

“He's gone” Woods said 

“Let's take his tags, incase we need them” Matt recommended 

We went to look for more serum and found the main storage room that was dark and covered in sheets and dust.

“Wow” Woods mumbled 

“Deb said that there was only 1500ml and each bottle of this is 100ml” I said

“What's this?” asked Woods

“It looks like a 500ml jugg” Matt said

“Look 200ml of antidote” I said excitingly

We all drank the antidote and it tasted like a blue raspberry punch.

“So are we safe now?” I asked

“I think” Matt said 

“We need to find out who the man with the mask was” said Woods

“agreed, let's explore the rest of the building to see if we can find anything about him” I recommended 

THE PHANTOM 

We Explored and met in a file storage room with files labeled subject 2, subject 8, subject 6,and subject 3. We opened the file and  pictures and information were all inside.

“These are all pictures.” I said

“Whose subject 2?” asked Matt

“The man with the mask.” I said

“He was a failed experiment that was proven useful after the failed transfusion in which he started bleeding from his eyes, nose, and mouth. A prototype mask has been put in place to supply serum vapor to stop the bleeding.” I read

In the middle of the room there was a machine. It had a syntec logo and lots of moving parts and it was labed “MK3 serum disruption device”below that was a radioactive symbol. It was speeding up faster then suddenly a thick vapor filled the room then we saw the man in the mask. He had glowing red eyes and a black lab coat with a tag labeled “Benjamin fuller”.

“How are you alive?” asked the Masked man

“We don't know?” I said

“You used the antidote, didnt you?” asked the Masked man worryingly 

“Ya, the blue one.” Matt said

He ran out of the room and just vanished.

THE DISTURBANCE

We got back to my house to hear the RSD alarm going off. The screen was red and Said ”Radioactive disturbance detected. evacuated immediately!”

“What do we do?” asked woods 

“It might be just old?” I said

“It's from the bomb, the serum is radioactive.” Matt said

“Do we need to do something?” I asked 

“No we were in a closed room.”said Woods

It went off again and it said “radiation increasing” 

“Is it going off again?” I asked 

“We need to leave now” said Matt

We left the house and went to the location of the “disturbance”and the bomb was spinning again and it went off. We hit it with a metal pipe and it powers down.

AGAIN?

We were leaving and we saw him, the Phantom. He ran back to his car but dropped a bag, so we ran to the car but he sped off.

“He dropped something, it's a bag!” Woods yelled 

“What's in it?” asked Matt

“It's a phone, wallet,and a piece of paper.” Woods explained

“What's on the paper?” I asked

“Its an address, 9265 Grand street,” Woods read

“Let's go then, we will go out tomorrow” Matt said

9265 GRAND STREET

We arrived at 9265 Grand street at 9:25PM. The parking lot is empty and dark with cracks going throughout. A black suburban pulled in, we watched the suburban for an hour then the Phantom stepped out and walked to the middle of the lot and just stood there looking at the ground. Matt went to where he was standing,

“Welcome.” said the Phantom 

“Welcome, welcome to what?” said Matt

“Welcome to syntec location 7” said the Phantom 

“How many locations are there?”asked Matt

“Syntec is an international company with more than 200 locations.” the Phantom explained 

“Why did you want me to come here?” asked Matt

“To talk.” said the Phantom 

“About?” asked Matt

“Project PEGASUS” said the Phantom

“PEGASUS?” Matt said questingly

“You and your friends are the experiments of the project. Sam is subject 8, you are subject 6, and Woods is subject 3. Im subject 2, but i didn't get included because of what happened to my face.”said the Phantom 

“So it wasn't an accident that we have serum in us.” said Matt

“No, it was part of the project to see if people can live an ordinary life and survive and at what point in life the serum is injected.” said the Phantom

“Are there more projects or people?” asked Matt

“Yes, most have died. As for other projects there was blue life ,that was for the antidote, project guardian was a military contract to make serum to turn people into superhumans but the test subjects only lived 12 hours.” explained the Phantom

“Why is it called 863?” asked Matt

“It's the successful subject numbers.” said the Phantom

Suddenly lights flashed on us and we both ran opposite directions to avoid being caught by who we assume was nelson. We regroup in the van and hide, suddenly the lot becomes dark again and a figure steps out of the car holding a black briefcase and a blue bag labeled 863.

TO BE CONTINUED 724,that was for the antidote,project guardian was a military contract to make serum to turn people into super humans but the test subjects only lived 12 hours. explained the phantom

Suddenly lights flashed on us and we both ran opposite directions to avoid being caught by who we assume was nelson. We regroup in the van and hide,suddenly the lot becomes dark again and a figure steps out of the car.

TO BE CONTINUED