the dungeon in the mineshaft | Teen Ink

the dungeon in the mineshaft

January 10, 2022
By Anonymous

Author's note:

I'm a junior in high school and this was inspired by a lot of other shows and books I have watched/read 

The author's comments:

there is vulgar language in parts so I do appolagise 

I awoke to the sounds of Yui barging into my room yelling for me to wake up,  “Get ur butt in gear were going to the cave to explore sh*t, F*ck *ss.” 

I of course replied back in a wail, “I’m staying here, i'm tired, okay?” 

It took me a brief moment to realise but then… 

“HOW DID YOU GET IN MY HOUSE? I LIVE ALONE AND EVERYTHING WAS LOCKED UP!” I said in pure awe. 

She replied sarcastically,  “Oh, you know, the worms.”

“WHY DID THE WORMS… WORMS?WHAT WORMS?” 

My name is Sokka, and Yui’s my best friend. She's been my friend since I was six and had just moved in next door back in July of 1990. She ran out of her house the second the moving van pulled up and came straight to me asking if I wanted to go on an adventure to the bottom of the sea to fight sea ghost pirates. Of course 6 year old me had to say yes, but that's been our friendship for the past 12 years. We of course have had our ups and downs but what friendship hasn't? When I got to this small old town I had nobody except my now-deceased grandfather. He raised me and was so kind. He had these big lobster hands that when you shook them it was like shaking a giant’s. He unfortunately died in a mining accident in the far neck of the woods. Now those caves are closed down and they opened a new one next to the church and the cemetery. Not creepy at all, right? 

“Get ready, we're going to the diner—and yes, you're paying,” she said as she walked out of the room.

Normally I would complain about paying but today just so happens to be her birthday—the big 18—so of course I gotta make sure she has a good day. 

“Yeah yeah,  I know you wanna eat me out of house and home,” I said.

“Well someone has to do it, you smelly ogre,” she said with a smirk as she left down the hall without shutting my door.

“I am NOT SMELLY, AND SHUT MY DOOR!” I hollard back at her.

I threw on a red shirt, some black ripped skinny jeans and my favorite jacket. I dashed towards the front door, and as I passed Yui on my couch, I yelled out, “If you want me to pay you gotta beat me-”

I couldn't even finish my sentence, she was already in a full sprint for the door. I knew she was the track star of our high school but holy crap was she fast. She had taken off out the door so I had to waste two seconds shutting and locking the door, which was enough time for her to be 3 houses down and counting. She was quick, but I knew that. I wanted her to use up all her energy so we could peacefully eat breakfast without her shenanigans. 

I arrived presumably 10 mins after her from jogging and she had already ordered and started eating.

“Don't worry, I got you food,” she said and I looked over to the opposite side of the booth at a pancake garnished with the word “loser” in sloppy whipped cream letters.

“Hilarious,” I said sarcastically. I sat down by the stack of pancakes and started gobbling them down. 

“You’re slow as hell, you should really get into the gym more,” she said with a jab to my shoulder. “You’re looking a bit scrawny.”

“Oh, bite me. I hate going to the only gym in town just for everyone to look at me judgmentally.” 

“Oh come on, it's not that bad.”

Yes. Yes it actually is. This town has a total of 2,435 people. There is one school k-12, one post office, one cemetery, one church, four fast food restaurants, a mine/quarry, and a bank, and lastly a gym where a lot of kids go. So yea no thanks i'll pass.

“I bought the membership that's enough for me”

“Anyways, let's go explore the old mines once you're done shoving your loser pancakes down your gullet,” she said excitedly.

“Paying for all your food isn't enough?” 

She grinned deviously, “Nope!”

“Are you trying to get kidnapped? 4 kids have already gone missing in the last few years. not to mention my grandfather legit died in those mines, from an explosion that no one had set off or knew where it came from. You're 18 now, it's dangerous, and what's really down there? Some old rocks and possibly one of my  grandfather's half decomposed fingers??” fun fact I cope with humor.

“Yea yea I know your grandfathers dead and ur still sad and i'm not forcing you to go but rather telling you i'm going to drive down there without u and if I go missing its all your fault” she said mischievously knowing she was guilt tripping me to do something dumn as always 

‘Plus, this is what I want for my birthday. To have an adventure with you”

I just can't say no to this girl, can I? Begrudgingly, I agree, and 20 minutes later we pay for our food and head back to her house to grab her car and pack our backpacks. We grab protein, 2 bars, 2 water bottles, a knife, a box of matches, and first aid, then set off heading to the edge of town, stuffed with sweet syruppy carbs. We drive down main street and pass all of the nothing our town has to offer until the street starts narrowing, and the paved roads get replaced with gravel paths. There's more trees than buildings, and any man made structures there are to be found are covered in graffiti. We continue on until the road is far too overgrown to drive on, then park in a small clearing just off the path, where every other stupid teen who went mising probably parked their own car. 

We follow the path until we hit a stretch of field with a sign overhanging the gravel road saying “Lumen Estates Mine” and just beyond that is the mine entrance. There's signs all around it saying “do not enter”, “private property”, and stuff like that. The entrance itself is made of old, rotten wood, and the top beam has nearly fallen down. I turn to Yui, and like the brave, young adventurer I am, I say, “Welp time to go home!” with a nervous smile, and turn around and start walking back. She grabs me by the shirt not even two seconds later and spins me back around. “Come on don't be a baby we came this far might as well continue”

“Fineeee”

“HAHA WOOOO ADVENTURE AWAITS SOKKA!” she shouted in excitement

We crawled slowly through the entrance due to it being boarded up and walked past the graffiti-filled walls and as the light got dimmer and passages shrunk I reached into my pocket and grabbed my phone for a light. Yui trotted right ahead of me with no fear as I scurried scared as a mouse behind her. 

“So are you going to tell me how you got into my house?” I asked inquisitively

“Oh I know you keep a spare under the rock by the front door.”

“Why wouldn't you just ask to have one made rather than steal my spare?”

“Gotta keep you on your toes Sokka, can't have you getting too scared and running out on me during an adventure can I now?” 

The cave was exactly what you would assume a mine would look like, a roundish man made hole that has moss growing up the sides and water dripping occasionally from the ceiling. 

WHOOOOSH 

A gust of air blew through the cave then a faint call out, “Do you wish to challenge the tower?” a voice amongst the cave whispered into the wind 

“aw heckkkk naw,” I proclaimed sheepishly, I wanted nothing but to turn around and get out. Yui slowly stopped and then started creeping her way forward again, calling out “WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THE CAVE?” 

The cave grew silent besides the gusts of wind. I stopped and stayed behind Yui knowing I can't leave her in here alone and asked, “can we please turn back?” 

“No, not yet.”

She braved forward as I held the light from behind. As we crept closer we saw a dim light that seemed to come from fire. Its yellow warm glow drew Yui and I in like a moth. We kept on following the light till a brick path seemed to slowly startup. The more we moved closer the more a feeling of calm covered me like a soft gentle blanket. The wind got more aggressive as we approached a corner. We stopped and I reached into my bag to see if I could grab the knife I packed. at least I would have something of use to use for defense. Yui gave me a nod of approval and I took the lead. We turned the corner and there was a wooden door that had to be at least nine feet tall, with wrought-iron hinges that looked like vines running up an old oak tree. The wood was a deep red mahogany and two lamps dangled over the entryway on the opposite sides of the double door entryway. It was like looking at the entryway to a giant's house. The divine door had swoopy lettering at the top saying “Stage level two tower 3”

“Welcome Challenger. Do you wish to continue?” the voice said.

The voice was a lot louder now and deeper. 

Without hesitation, Yui went for the door. I grabbed her and pulled her back. I walked in front of her and said, “What if it's a trap? What if its some sick killer trying to kidnap and ra-”

“Chill out. It’s fine, I have you here for you to protect me, dork.”

“You realize I’m kinda scrawny and weak and we could easily be killed??”

“I'm willing to make that sacrifice,” She said as she jolted towards the door. 

She flung them open like they were made of feathers. A light engulfed her and I shut my eyes and ran forwards after her. I opened my eyes but I was suddenly in darkness…

Not like a dark room but. Blank nothingness. Nothing behind me anymore, nothing in front of me, I walked forwards but walked into nothing not getting closer to anything not quite sure what I was standing on if anything. It was as if the world was stripped of all light and color. Suddenly what seemed to be a stage light shined down in front of me from above. A figure appeared. What seemed to be a tall slim man in a white suit with an elegant mask u would see at a masquerade ball. He had a red tie with a red handkerchief peeking out the left pocket. 

He said, “Greetings, I am the Tower Keeper. Also known as the gatekeeper, the divine spirit, THE-”

“WHERE THE F*CK AM I, WHO ARE YOU, WHY AM I HERE??”

“Ah, another fast paced question asker. How intriguing,” he said with a mixture of excitement and venom

“WHERE'S YUI?? WHAT DID U DO WITH HER?”

“So would you like to see her?” with a mischievous tone

“YES. YES TAKE ME TO YUI RIGHT NOW!” 

“So be it challenger.”

The light closed and I felt as if I was falling. My consciousness was leaving me.

Soft lush grass that feels almost like cat fur touches my finger tips. One moment I was standing up opening a door, the next i'm on the ground touching what I can only describe as clouds finely chopped into grass. I open my eyes but harsh light hits my eyes blinding me for a brief few seconds. I take a deep breath and collect my thoughts and open my eyes now adjusted to the light. The light had been coming from vines and leaves on the ceiling. The ceiling to what though?

Startled, I flung myself upwards and took in my surroundings. It looks like something out of a fairytale or a fantasy RPG. It's lush and full of small flowers and bioluminescent mushrooms. There's creatures I’ve never seen before just casually walking around. Small winged beings are zipping around, I guess they’re fairies but they look nothing like what you’d see in a children's book.

“Where are we?” Yui says.

The man from earlier suddenly appears out of nowhere. “You’re in a dungeon, Challenger.”

“A dungeon? Like dungeons and dragons?” I ask.

“Not quite. You see, you have entered my realm. A special place I created where I gather beings from all dimensions to challenge each other and climb the tower levels until they get to the top. There are humans, of course, but as you can see around you, there’s beasts you’ve never imagined. You would of course know this though if you hadn't cut me off during my thrilling introduction earlier whining about ‘OHHHH YUIIIII WHERES MY DARLING YUIIIII’ and had me fling u in here like a newborn baby”

I blushed and Yui turned and faced me smiling then back to the dungeon master 

“So, how do we beat the tower?” Yui asked while stretching ready to go.

“I like your enthusiastic challenger Yui. First you get to make a wish.”

“A wish?”

“A wish. Just one. As intricate or as simple as you may like it to be. Wish for anything your heart desires and the tower will take it and make it true. Only rules are no asking to beat the tower, wish for more wishes obviously, and no hoping levels. Each level is stronger anyway so you're going to die regardless.”

“So what will your wish be?”

“I wish,” Yui said the slowly thinking longer, “To have a sword that when called appears in my hand. I want its name to be Luna. And to have flowers engraved going up the blade and it be as stronger than any metal known to man. Oh and to have a pink wrapped handle,” she said with smile and excitement.

I looked over at Yui in awe, “How did u just come up with that on the spot?” 

“Well I like swords and if we want to know if he's lying i'll simply call out the sword and it should appear right?”

“Well- I don't know- yeaaa,” I said with a sigh.

“Well in that case. Luna!” she called out with her hand extended in a warrior stance

Nothing happened at first but then flowers flew around her hands with a gust of wind and a sword appeared. Every detail she stated was right. Yui with a Swift slice through the air threw her sword and then called her sword again. Seconds later it was in her hand again. 

“AWWW THATS HOTTTTTTT,” Yui said in excitement doing a lil giddy dance. 

“See, I'm a tower keeper of my word. And for you Challenger sokka?” 

“Well. Do I have to choose now?” I asked 

“Well. no? No one really has ever asked that. I mean I guess yeah. Doesn't it hurt anyone I suppose?” the dungeon keeper said questioning me

“I don't want to make the wrong wish where there's a plot hole and I get screwed over?”

Then with a booming crash the sounds of rocks bursting echoed and what felt like an earthquake was a creature running towards us. 

“Oh look, your first Challenger encounter,” says the tower keeper.

Before I even know what's going Yui is already charging at this beast, sword in hand. Yui however has zero swordsman training. Dear God.

There's some rocks by my feet so I gather them and run up beside Yui, just before she takes a swing I hurl one at it and it hits its head cracking it with a loud ka-thunk. The beast fell straight to the ground and laid there soundless and motionless. 

“Did.. Did you kill it??” Yui asked mortified

“I mean I think so? Weren't you going to do the same thing tho?”

“Well yeah but--”

Suddenly there was a poof of confetti where he laid, and when it cleared up, his body was replaced with Pieces of leather just laying there. The tower keepers voice reappeared, “Congratulations, you slayed your first challenger. This one showed up only a few minutes before you. However, this will be only the first of many many battles.” the voice echoed out until it grew silent again.

Yui and I just stood there and looked at each other. After a few moments, we said in unison.

“Well sh*t.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.