Ruby Cane: Mission Impossible | Teen Ink

Ruby Cane: Mission Impossible

March 7, 2022
By HPopham BRONZE, Cartersville, Georgia
More by this author
HPopham BRONZE, Cartersville, Georgia
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The author's comments:

I beleive that this is one of the best peices I've ever written and hopefully more peices will come.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! My alarm yells. I get out of my silky-smooth bed sheets sluggishly.  My name is Ruby cane, and I was the head detective of the San Francisco Police Force. My life was pretty basic in San Francisco, I lived in a five-story apartment building and I would wake up every morning at 6:30a.m and get ready for work. San Francisco was nice and all, but my dream was to be a detective at the New York City police station in the big apple. I’m actually from New York, I lived just outside of the City, and every night as a kid I would sneak out of my small, square, bedroom window to the roof of my house to watch the beautiful city lights. I remember the soft wind that blew over me every night, and sometimes if I think hard enough, I can still feel it. The lights of the city were all unusual colors and sizes and seeing those lights of the city always enchanted me. 
Anyways, ever since I can remember I’ve wanted to be a detective and make the world a better place. My parents met at a police station in New York City, my mother was a street officer, and my dad was the chief of the station. My dad was killed in an explosion caused by a, minor, villain named The Detonator. Since then, my mom has been paranoid and very overprotective, she almost had a heart attack when I told her I was taking up a detective position in San Fransico. Anyways, that’s my life story so let us get back to the present. I was almost ready to leave for work, and I took one last look in the mirror, my golden detectives badge glistened in the light of my bathroom, my curly light brown hair flowing like a river; my mother once told me that my eyes were like the waves of the ocean. I walked out of my bathroom and took one last look at my apartment, it was a decant sized one bedroom, one bathroom space. It also had a small kitchen area as well as a living room. 
Then I left, not knowing that what was going on that very day would change my life forever. I drove my car downtown to the station. Once I got there, I noticed that everyone was cramped in front of the front desk. They were just watching the Channel six news from New York City. I opened the door to my small, slick, black car and headed to the police station. When I opened the door, I was nearly engulfed by a crowd of scrunched up officers, someone bumped into somebody else's tazer and got shocked. I pushed my way up to front to see what everyone was so anxious to see. On the T.V. screen it showed a message posted on a billboard by a hacker saying, “Beware, for The Detonator has Returned”. Once the news broadcast finished, Chief Brown walked in and the T. V. was turned off. 
Chief Brown is the head chief of the station and he can cause a room to fall silent faster than a cheetah can run. The chief held up what looked to be like a case file. 
“Okay listen up!” Chief announced in his gruff voice. 
“This is a file for the case in New York City. They need an experienced first-class detective because all they have available is a rookie that doesn’t have enough experience for this kind of case.” He added. 
I could feel myself nearly jump with excitement once the words case, file, and New York City left chief's mouth. Unfortunately, the same thing happened to Carter Grey, the only other “official” detective. I looked across the room and saw Carter edging his way to the front of the room. Carter has always been a bit extra, and by extra, I mean that he looks like a detective from the 1930’s, trench coat and all. I started edging my way to the front of the room as well. I looked across the room and caught a glimpse of Carter’s black hair. I was able to catch up to him and locked my ocean blue eyes with his chocolate brown ones. At that moment it seemed like the world stopped spinning; like Carter and I were in a one-on-one race without an end. That’s when I broke the lock and left Carter faster than a roadrunner in a race. 
I raced towards chief, but Carter snapped back to his senses fast and we got there nearly at the same time. Unfortunately for me, Carter has been known to sweet talk his way into or out of situations.  
“Chief, I would be honored to- “Carter started to say. 
Chief Brown cut him off like scissors to thread. 
“Actually, Detective Grey I already have booked a plane ticket and have gotten everything in order for Detective Cane to take this Case.” Chief exclaimed with just a hint of a smile. 
Carter’s jaw practically dropped to the floor. While I felt as if I had just won a million dollars. I couldn’t believe that Chief was sending me to New York City on one of the biggest cases of the year. 
“You're sending me chief?” I asked, just to make sure I heard right. 
“Yes, Detective Cane, I’m sending you.” He answered. 
I still couldn’t believe it. 
“I have a close cousin that works at the Police station downtown in the city. I told him that you were one of the best detectives I’ve got.” Chief Brown stated with a grin. 
Everyone was watching me and Chief Brown. He gave them all a look colder than the north pole. The officers went back on their patrol shift’s while Carter stomped off to his desk like a toddler who didn’t like not getting his way. After everyone left, I stood there looking directly into chief’s deep grey eyes. The laugh lines on his eyes went up when he smiled, as did the bushy grey mustache. 
“Ruby, I know this will most likely lead you to leave our police station, and I just want you to know that you are by far the best detective this station has ever seen.” He told me. 
“Chief I won’t let you down.” I told him confidently. 
“I know you won’t, and you can call me Charlie.” He replied. 
“Oh, my goodness! You must hurry! Your plane leaves in 30 minutes! GO!” Charie stated as he showed me to the door. 
As he handed me a plane ticket scheduled for 10:00am. 
“Goodbye Charlie Brown!” I yelled as I ran from the door of the police station to my car.  
My black police boots barley touched the pitch-black pavement of the road. My golden badge shimmered like a diamond in the bright yellow sunlight. I got into my car as fast as I could. Thankfully for me there was barley any traffic today. Once I got home, I raced up to my apartment and packed as fast as I could. Once I finished packing, I ran so fast I left skid marks behind me. I practically floored my gas pedal to the airport. I got there just two minutes before they started boarding the plane. Once I took my first step onto the plane, I knew that this would be one of the hardest things I will have ever done.  
After four hours and fifty-four minutes of plane travel, I finally landed in New York City. After I got off the plane with my carryon, I went to go pick up my baggage. When I went to pick up my bags, I found my mother instead. Her pearly white smile set any tension I had at ease. After a long overdue mom hug, we picked up my bags and headed to the parking lot where my mom’s shiny, jet black, police truck awaited us. My mom’s name is Susan Cane, and she is basically the street cop chief of New York City. I threw my bags into the backseat of the truck. Then I hopped into the passenger's side while my mom started up the car. Then we started the drive toward the police station downtown to get myself checked in. 
“Honey I’m so proud of you for taking on this big case.” She stated causally. 
But I knew something was up, my mom never says something like that without going into some conversation about dad being so proud of me as well. 
“But are you sure you want to go after the same guy that caused the explosion of your father’s death?” She asked. 
I knew she wouldn’t let me do a case like this without trying to talk me out of it. 
“Mom, you know this could very well be the biggest case of my career.” I stated. A bit annoyed that my mom was trying to talk me out of this. 
“I know Ruby, it’s just that this villain is called The Detonator for a reason. I just don’t want what happened to your father to happen to you.”  She asserted nervously. 
“Mom don’t worry, there is a reason why Chief Brown called me his best detective. Besides, that criminal will finally pay for his crimes.” I insisted. 
We both smiled at each other and sat in silence for the next few minutes. After a while of laughing and catching up with each other, we arrived at the police station. It was amazing as well as big. I fell silent when I entered the building, the front desk was big and round with a giant-sized police badge on the back-round wall. Police badges and symbols were everywhere, and the police station was heavily fortified. Even the bathrooms were heavy duty. After my mom checked into the front desk, we both headed upstairs to see what the officers called The Big Boss or Big Boss for short. I suddenly was struck with a bolt of anxiety, as my mom began to open the door to The Big Boss’s office.  
My mother then fully opened the door, revealing a decant sized office with basic office supplies. There was a mahogany wood, rectangular desk in the front part of the room, there were filing cabinets against the wall, a bulletin board chock full of papers, and lots of other things. My mother and I sat in two chairs right in front of the desk. Behind the desk was a black leather, rollie chair. Sitting in the chair was the man who I assumed to be The Big Boss. He had a police officer's uniform on, along with a gleaming metal badge. He had brown wavey-like hair speckled with a mix of grey and white hair, white skin with a small tannish tint, and blue eyes, and apparently, we walked in when he was in the middle of lunch. On the right side of him sat a bag from McDonalds, on his left side sat a large drink, and in front of him sat a large fry. Finally, in his hands he held a large Big Mac. As the Big Boss was finishing his lunch, I suddenly got a huge headache, but it wasn’t a normal headache. When I closed my eyes to wince in pain, I saw the lobby and I saw a rugged criminal with a scared face dressed like a burglar being forcefully led into custody. 
“Ruby are you okay?” My mom asked with a scared tone. 
“I’m fine mom. Just a little headache.” I answered. 
That’s when Big Boss finished his Big Mac and fixed himself up. 
“So, you’re the detective my cousin suggested.” He stated. 
“Yes. Yes, I am.” I answered. 
“Perfect. The names Adam. Adam Fletcher.” Adam stated as he extended his hand for a shake. 
I must have given him a look colder than ice, because after about five seconds he took back his large hand, which was slathered with grease from the big mac. 
“Anyways, are the two of you related?” Adam asked. 
“Yes.” Answered my mom. 
“This is my daughter Ruby Cane.” Mom stated. 
“I should have known!” Adam stated extatically. 
“You are THE spitting image of Calvin.” He exclaimed. 
The room suddenly fell into a dark silence. Calvin was my father’s name. 
“You knew my dad?” I asked. 
“Yes.” Adam answered. 
My mother was paralyzed with shock. She hadn’t said nor heard my father’s name in a long time. She always referred to him as “Ruby’s father” or “My husband”. 
“He and I were friends when I was a field officer. He was assigned as my partner for a short time.” Adam exclaimed. 
Just then, an officer walked into the office. 
“Sir! We finally caught that burglar.” He stated excitedly. 
Adam then perked up with excitement. 
“Yes! Finally! That burglar has been a pain in the neck.” Adam explained with excitement. 
“Susan, Ruby, this is officer Jameson.” Adam stated as he gestured towards Jameson. 
After we were all introduced, Adam took my mother and I to see the crook that Jameson caught. It turns out the holding area was underground. When we reached the holding area, I saw that other officers were questioning the crook. That’s when a detective enters the small, cube-shaped holding space. 
“Is that the other detective that Chief Brown told me about?” I asked curiously. 
“Yes, that’s Chase Morgan.” Chief Adam answered. 
Chase was a detective with blond hair, green eyes, and a tannish skin tone. He looked like he was from California or Los Angeles. 
“What did my cousin Charlie say about Chase?” Adam asked. 
“Not much. All he said was that all you guys had was a rookie detective without enough experience for The Detonator case.” I answered. 
“For the most part you’re right, but Chase is technically a Second-class detective.” Adam stated. 
I was surprised to hear this. Being a second-class detective meant that Chase was highly regarded and could take on bigger cases, but after watching Chase work in the holding area my surprise faded like fog over the Golden Gate Bridge. After about an hour in the holding area, the crook they were questioning cracked like a walnut. When officers came out of the holding area with the crook, I could not believe who I saw, I saw the crook that I saw during my headache in Adam’s office. 
“The Detonator will get you for this Chief Fletcher! Everything will be destroyed!” the crook yelled as the officers shoved him towards a jail cell. 
Everyone else ignored him, but once he yelled those words a chill ran down my spine like a spider on a wall. I felt like something bad was about to happen. Anyways, as the officers led the crook away, I was officially introduced to Chase Morgan.  
“Chase, this is Detective Ruby Cane.” Adam declared casually. 
‘Nice to meet you.” Chase mumbled. 
“Chase isn’t very ecstatic about you taking on The Detonator case.” Adam exclaimed. 
Just then, I got a monstrous headache. When I closed my eyes, I could see the entire holding area along with the jail cells. All of them were blown up in a flash. When the dust ceased, I saw a figure, draped in a black cloak. There was a mask hiding his face. That is when I snapped back to reality. 
“Ruby! Are you okay?!” My mother yelled with anxiety.  
“Mom, I’m fine.” I answered reassuringly. 
That is when I remembered my vision. 
“Chief Adam! We must get everyone out here, right now!” I sputtered. 
Everyone looked at me with questioning expressions. 
“What’s wrong?” Adam asked. 
“Just trust me.” I replied. 
Adam looked unsure, but after a moment of thought he steadily evacuated the prison cells and the holding areas. Just as my mother, Chase, and I were heading to the stairs to evacuate, I thought I heard a ticking sound. Before I could do anything, I blacked out. When I woke up, I was covered in ruble and had an exasperating ringing in my ears. As I rose to get up, I nearly collapsed back onto the ground. My vision was blurry and sprinkled with dots, but after a few moments everything looked normal. When I turned my head to a nearby ally, I froze like a statue. I saw a figure, cloaked in a pitch-black robe. His face was hidden by a black and metal mask. After about 30 seconds, I remembered my mother and Chase. I turned my back to the black figure and started to search through the ruble. In an instant, a news van as well as an ambulance arrived. 
Out of the news van came Samantha Pink, one of New York City’s dramatic reporters, but she is known for her skills in research and being able to see the big picture. As Samantha swiftly set up to cast the midday news, I stumbled towards the ambulance. I was then set down inside of the emergency vehicle. Examining me a paramedic with the name  Amani Tsunami on her name tag. She had chocolate brown eyes, soft caramel colored skin and frizzy black hair. 
“M-my mother. And a d-detective.” I stuttered. 
“Don’t worry, everything is going to be okay. My colleges are searching through the ruble as we speak.” She responded. 
 A flood of relief flowed through me, and I blacked out. 
When I woke up, I was in a hospital room. The bed was like a light and fluffy cloud, the blanket was warm and cozy, and I was right next to the window so that the lustrous sun shined on my face. A few moments later, Amani walked into the room. 
“And how are we feeling today?” She asked. 
“Better.” I answered. 
“Are my mother and Chase okay?” I asked. 
“Yes. We found them in the lighter parts of the ruble.” Amani replied with a shaky tone, as if she were holding something back. 
I looked deeply into Amani’s eyes, and knew my mother and Chase were okay. Amani left after asking a few questions about what I remembered and such. It turned out that I had been unconscious for two days. Once she left, I knew that I had to try and get out of the hospital as fast as I could. If I didn’t, The Detonator could blow up as many buildings as he wanted. While I was stuck in the hospital, I looked over any research or clues the police station had on “The Detonator”, but all I could scramble up was a couple of dead ends. I needed something or someone who could help me see the big picture. Then it hit me like a hammer. I needed Samantha Pink as well as Amani Tsunami. Samantha would definitely help with the research, and Amani could be a possible witness. As soon as I got my plan all together someone knocked on the door. 
“Who is it?” I asked. 
“It’s Amani. Can I come in?” She asked. 
“Yes.” I replied. 
Amani walked in with a shining grin on her face, and she seemed exhilarated by something. 
“I have thrilling news.” Amani stated enthusiastically. 
“What is it?” I asked anxiously. 
“The Docter said you are free to go.” She replied. 
I was ecstatic. 
“This is amazing.” I stated. 
After a few minutes of saying goodbye to each other Amani left. I started to get ready to leave when there was a knocking at the door. I opened it to find nothing but a small note. I turned my head both left and right to find that no-one was in the hallway. I picked up the note and opened it. I nearly freaked once I was finished reading. The note said,  
You have until midnight to surrender, or this city will burn. 
                                                              -The Detonator 
I grabbed my stuff and rushed to the street outside. I called a taxi and headed for the station downtown. My plan had to be put into action as soon as possible. Once I reached the station, I bolted rapidly to Chief Adam’s office. Once I reached the office, I slammed the door open and the office shook. Unfortunately, I caught Adam when he was eating lunch(again). 
“Ruby! I’m so glad that you're okay.” He remarked. 
I walked up to Adam’s desk and took a seat with my research and plan in hand. 
“Chief Adam, I believe that I have a plan on how to find and stop The Detonator once and for all.” I stated enthusiastically. “Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow your role. You just got out of the hospital.” Adam stated. 
“I know, but I've really been thinking about this case and I believe I'm about to crack it.” I asserted. 
I handed Adam the note that I found outside my hospital room. 
“That’s not good.” he said as the color drained slowly from his face. 
“That’s why I need to put my plan into action right now.” I stated. 
“Okay, I’m listening.” Adam responded.  
“First thing’s first, I need to get Samantha Pink and Amani Tsunami here at the station immediately.” I stated. 
Adam looked confused, but I made sure to explain everything to him. 
“With Samantha’s research skills along with Amani’s eyewitness accounts, we could find and arrest The Detonator once and for all.” I proposed. 
“Okay, I’ll get that News reporter and the paramedic down here.” He agreed. 
“But you're going to need a partner.” Adam added. 
I suddenly felt uneasy as my excitement drained out of me like water. Adam pushed a button on his desk and about thirty seconds later, Chase strides into the room. There was a long pause. I slowly rose from the chair and walked up to chase. I sported a vaugue look on my face as if I didn’t care that he was even alive. Finally, to chase’s surprise I gave him a great big, bone crushing hug. 
“Chase, I'm so glad you’re okay.” I stated. 
“Same here, but I might not be for long.” Chase stated. 
After we got all caught up with each other, I explained my plan to Chase. He agreed that it was solid plan. 
“Wait a minute. If Chase is okay and everything how’s my mother?” I asked. 
Adam’s office fell so silent that I swore I heard a fly cough. 
“Ruby, I'm afraid that your mother was never found in the aftermath of that bomb.” Adam exclaimed. 
I could feel the color drain from my face, my heart began pounding like a drum. 
“Where is she then?” I asked nervously as I sat down. 
“We have a theory.” Chase stated. 
“And it’s JUST a theory.” Adam added. 
“Just tell me already.” I insisted. 
“We believe that The Detonator might have taken your mother.” Chase exclaimed. 
I suddenly felt a wave of anger and rage mixed with sadness. Then out of nowhere I get a terrible headache with a side of immense pain. When I closed my eyes like I always did, I saw The Detonator. Behind him was my mother tied up in a chair. 
“Come and get her. If you DARE!” The Detonator asserted. 
After my headache was over, I told Chief Adam and Chase what I saw and what it meant. 
“The Detonator is baiting me. We must get Samantha and Amani HERE right now.” I stated. 
Everyone else agreed. After we got Samantha and Amani to the station and brought them to Adam’s office, I told them what their prerequisite roles were in this plan. 
“Whoa, whoa, whoa. If I were you, I'd hold them horses real tight sister.” Samantha stated. 
“I agree with Samantha.” Amani added. 
“Look I know that the two of you feel uneasy about this, but I really need you.” I exclaimed. 
I took a good look at Samantha and Amani. They both looked dismayed about this. 
“I’m in.” Amani blurted out. 
Everyone jumped at her boldness to state this. 
“Well, if she’s in I’m in.” Samantha stated. 
“On one condition.” She added. 
“Once you bag this sucker, I want a good story out of it.” Samantha stated. 
“Done.” I replied. 
After everyone was done cheering and what-not, Samantha bolted out of the room then bolted back. She projected an immense, brown briefcase from the door, to Adam’s desk. We all took a minute to process what just happened. 
“This is all of my research on The Detonator story.” Samantha exclaimed. 
Adam gawked at the building-like briefcase on his desk and then at Samantha. 
“How much research have you done?” Adam asked. 
“As much as I could.” Samantha answered with a smile. 
Samantha opened the briefcase, inside of it was more research, theory’s, and facts that the police had on The Detonator. After about an hour of looking through Samantha’s research, and asking Amani about the rescues she’s made after Detonator attacks, we found a small pattern. The Detonator has always hit buildings within close range of a police station. 
“The Detonator obviously has a thing for police stations of some kind.” Amani stated. 
“Now that you’ve mentioned it, The Detonator rarely hit’s anything more than a street bank.” Adam added. 
“According to my research, the only police station that he has not technically “hit” is the one outside of the city on the northside.” Samantha stated. 
That’s when we hatched a plan to stakeout outside of an old and abandoned warehouse which was right across from the police station that Samantha had led us to. We waited for about two hours, and we were about to give up, until we saw a car pull up into the ally beside the warehouse. Adam, Chase, Amani, Samantha, and I creeped up to the front of the warehouse. I looked through a small, oil smelling window in the front, and all I saw was darkness. Suddenly, a single light flashed on inside and the huge old, black, rusted door of the warehouse opened like a garage door. And let me tell you, that door was as silent as a nursery full of crying toddlers. I took a small, narrow, peek inside of the warehouse, and under the light I saw a person tied up in a simple folding chair. I immediately recognized that it was my mother. 
“Guy’s it’s my mom.” I whispered. 
“Oh no.” Samantha whispered. 
“What is it?” Adam asked in a whispered voice. 
“This is a trap.” Samantha whispered in reply. 
“I don’t care. I have to save her.” I whispered. 
Before anyone could stop me, I pelted unexpectantly into the warehouse without thinking. All I could think about was how enraged I was that The Detonator took my mother. I Quickly untied her and ended up partly dragging her outside. She was barely conscious. I stroked her dark brown, curly hair. Her crystal blue eyes were starting to flutter open when a thick, green, lavender smelling gas flowed like mist out of the warehouse. 
“Hold your breath and run!” I yelled. 
My mother was fully awake now, and as we all started to dash instantaneously; Adam tumbled abruptly on his face. I lowered myself onto the ground and saw that his lights were turned off. Sleeping gas. Before I could do anything, we were surrounded by crooks. My vision started to get fuzzy. I then gradually collapsed on the hard, pavement ground. The last thing I saw before I blacked out was a pair shiny black boots, I also heard a muffled voice saying: 
“Tie them up. We’re taking them to the big house.”  
When I woke up, I was tied up, uncomfortably, in a chair. Amani, Samantha, Chase, Adam, and my mother were all tied up in chairs that were in a strictly strait line with all of us facing forward. I looked to my left and right and saw that everyone was starting to wake up. There was a bright light shining over each of us. I had absolutely no idea where we were. 
“I told you to give up.”  said a voice that sent a chill down my spine. 
When I first heard the voice, I immediately thought about Darth Vader. A bright, yellow light suddenly turned on in the middle of what seemed like a cave of darkness that was in front of all of us. We were all awake now. 
“I am The Detonator.” He stated. 
“Why have you done all this?!” I asked in a raised voice. 
“Revenge.” The Detonator answered. 
“Revenge on who?” Adam asked frantically. 
“The police.” The Detonator replied. 
“WHY?!” We all yelled and asked unanimously. 
The Detonator walked right in front of me. Then, he removed his mask. We all fell into silence with shock. The Detonator had pale skin, curly black hair, and deep brown eyes. The Detonator was officer Jameson. 
“Jameson, why?” Adam asked with a confused tone. 
“You never payed attention to me or my dad.” Jameson answered. 
“Who?” Adam asked. 
“Officer Benjiman Harley. He was my father who was your very own PARTNER.” Jameson answered. 
“He even died on your watch, and what did my family get in return? A folded up flag along with his dead body.” Jameson said coldly. 
Jameson pulled a small remote out of his pocket and pressed a small, round, yellow button. Suddenly a whole bunch of lights turned on, revealing a medium sized machine. I believed that we were in a warehouse.  
“This machine will cause a chain reaction which will then cause all the police stations in New York City to be destroyed. While the police are crumbling, crime will run wild through the streets and I'll be on top.” Jameson explained. 
“But what about all of those innocent officers?” Amani stated. 
“What about them? They’ve never done me any good.” Jameson replied. 
Amani was heartbroken at his comment. She trembled at the thought of all the people that could get hurt during Jameson’s plan. 
“What are going to do with us?” Samantha blurted out. 
“Well Miss Pink, all of you will be test subjects for my newest invention. I call it The Controller.” Jameson explained. 
“What kind of name is that?” Samantha asked plainly. 
Jameson responded by ductaping her mouth shut. 
“Wait a minute. How could someone so young kill my husband during an explosion? You were most likely a child at the time.” My mother stated. 
“Well to be honest, my step-father was The Detonator at that time.” Jameson explained. 
After a bit more of Jameson’s tedious explaining, he called in his pungent smelling goons into the spacious room. All of them were dressed in black and had a simple black mask on their faces. They placed some sort of headgear device on all of us. Jameson then pressed a blue button on his little controller. I suddenly felt like my head was frozen meat being constantly pounded. After a few minutes of pounding, the machine on my head fritzed out rapidly. While I shook it off my head, everyone else had theirs's taken off by a goon. I looked at my mom and could see that the pupils of her eyes were beads. It was also the same for everyone else.  Jameson signaled one of his goons, and I was then picked up out of my chair while still being tied up. 
“I wonder why my machine didn’t work on you?” Jamson asked in a knowing tone. 
I stayed like a statue, not saying anything. 
“Let me ask you few things. Do you get splitting headaches at random moments? And if you do, are they visions that come true?” Jameson asked. 
I couldn’t believe that Jameson knew about my headaches. 
“What about them?” I muttered. 
“Allow me to explain. You see, my father told me that your father had the very same extraordinary case. It’s a very scarce gift called far sight. This ability allowed your father to see what was going to happen before it happened. There is of course one contrast between you and your father. He could cause a vision to happen at will.” 
“Why are you telling me this?” I asked curiously. 
Jameson smirked and said nothing. Apperently he was trying to make me mad. After a few moments of smirking Jameson walked over to his machine and started a countdown sequence. I had exactly two minutes to stop Jameson from blowing up the law. I raced through my thoughts quickly to see if I could do anything. That’s when I remembered that the goon holding me had a knife attached to his right thigh. I had to think of something rapidly. Then, without thinking I kicked the goon in the shin with the back of my boot. He let go of me and started hobbling on one foot. I quickly did a spin kick and knocked him off his foot.  
Once he hit the floor, I grabbed the knife with my hands, which were tied behind my back, and started moving the knife in a back-and-forth motion. I rapidly finished by the skin of my teeth. Jameson called his bodyguards, and I was soon surrounded. Thankfully for me the goons were not very smart, and I was standing right next to a rope that had fallen from the ceiling. They all started to charge, so I speedily climbed the rope. The goons ended up foolishly bumping into each other, and they all plopped to the ground. I then sprinted to the machine where Jameson was standing guard. I had to deal with him fast for I had only thirty seconds left on the clock. I jabbed Jameson in the gut. Once I hit him, he fell to the ground in excruciating pain. I logged into the machine and I was just about to disable it, but a fire wall in the computer system was blocking me. I thought very firmly, and I had to hurry because I had only ten seconds left. Then it hit me like a bullet. I typed in the word Revenge, and the countdown stopped. 
After that, I called the police station and removed the mind control that Jameson put on everyone. The blinking of police lights soon surrounded the building. 
“I’ll get you for this Cane! Do you hear me! You will pay!” Jameson yelled, as he was being forced into a car. 
Well at least he’ll have plenty of time to think about his life choices, in prison. I thought to myself. With the criminal’s caught, we all headed back to the police station downtown.  
 After Jameson was all nice and cozy in a jail cell in the temporary imprisonment and holding area, I went upstairs to see Chief Adam in his office. When I walked into the office, I saw Adam sitting in his usual chair, but my mother as well as Samantha and Amani were also in the room. 
“What’s going on?” I asked suspiciously. 
“We all want to congratulate you on this case.” Adam answered. 
My mother then walked up to me. 
“Honey. Chief Adam wants to offer you a detective position here at the station.” She announced with excitement. 
I was speechless. I was about to accept, but I heard a loud whistle from the lobby outside. I opened the door and saw that down in the lobby, several policemen were chasing Jameson. I ran down the steps to the lobby, and as Jameson was about to burst through the police door, I grabbed him from behind and pulled him forcefully to the floor.  
Once Jameson was back in his cell, I retreated to Adam’s office and accepted the Detectives position. While everyone was cheering and such, I walked over to the square window on the right side of Adam's office. I thought about when I was a kid. I have learned a lot of things during this case, but the most important thing would be that you should never hold on to your jealousy or hatred. If you do, it will lead you down a road towards a bitter life. 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.