Highway to Hell | Teen Ink

Highway to Hell

By Maddy_07, Boston, Massachusetts
Maddy_07, Boston, Massachusetts

One main thing that inspired this was past me. I wrote this short story about a year ago, and I wanted to revamp it and make it better. This revamped version of this story also took on new meanings. For example, this short story now contains a big part of me. That being music.

Josh’s heavy angry footsteps smacked the pavement. A door flung open, and the sound of metal hitting metal rang out. The boy threw himself in the driver's seat. 

“You got blood on your cheek,” Emma said with a condescending tone.

Her voice was pretty but still held some violence. Like a violin. Her golden blonde was tied into a tight high ponytail. Showing off her jawline and bright blue eyes.

“And your makeup looks like a hog did it,” Josh barked back.

His voice was rough and fast; it could easily be compared to a guitar. Josh was your normal-looking boy. Short fluffy brown hair and brown eyes, slight stubble on his chin. One of the things that really popped out was his scar. It started at the bottom of his lip stopping at his chin. Then the other thing that popped out was his redshirt.

Emma sent a glare Josh’s way, her blue eyes sent shivers down everyone's spine. 

“Repeat that Josh. I dare you,” She spat.

Josh’s mouth moved to talk only to be cut off by a siren coming from the direction of the school. A girl with deep purple hair and crescent moon eyes raised her head. A black choker on her neck that was barely showing because of her purple turtle neck. She sent yet another glare Adma’s way.

“Drive you idiot,” Willow's voice called out.

Her voice was smooth with an undertone of sleepiness. If she was an instrument it would be a woodwind flute. 

“Shut up emo!” 

A new siren was heard. The noise was loud, filling everyone with fear. 

“The pigs are here,” Two voices spoke.

One voice was like a didgeridoo. That was Adam. A boy with almost a stale voice that held no emotion. Except when he was talking about science. He was a ginger. Bright blue eyes and fiery orange hair, his hair was also curly. So curly he had to style his hair in a mohawk-like style. He had freckles spread all over his face. He had dark green glasses that matched his dark green button-up shirt. He had one earring in his right ear. It was a simple silver hoop. The second one was like a harp sweet and innocent, that was Honey in a nutshell. She had short gold hair and the prettiest gray eyes you would ever see. They were like gems. She wore a yellow sweater and a white choker. She was the definition of cute. 

“I recommend you drive Josh,” Honey’s voice was in a sing-song tone.

The revving of a 2005 Explorer was heard just before the shining lights of blue and red were seen. The beaten and battered. Before Johs fully got out of the parking lot a question was asked.

“Do you regret killing him?” Honey asked looking out of the window.

“No. The monster got what he deserved,” Josh's voice was hard.

The explorer swiftly pulled out of the high school parking lot. Rocky’s Highschool quickly made its way out of view. Honey pulled Josh's phone from the cupholder. Moving to the Spotify app she hit the playlist label Highway to Hell. A knowing smirk came over Emma’s face as she turned up the radio. The song that came out was Should I stay or should I go by The Clash.

The windows were opened making hair of purple and blonde fly everywhere. The whole car yelling the lyrics to Na Na Na by My Chemical Romance. Josh’s hand was out of the window tapping the beats to the song. The car was at a steady speed of 80. They were at mile 5 out of 3,l62. As the song stopped slowly morphing into a new one an odd noise came out of Josh. Honey perked up at the sound. 

“You okay there Joshy-boy?” Her voice was soft.

Josh's head dropped “I forgot to fill up the gas tank,” 

Daggers were thrown at the boy from Emma. 

“You're kidding right?” 

“Is there a gas station nearby?” Willow asked, her eyes shooting towards Adam.

Adam took out his phone, his eyes scanned the device in his hand. When he found something useful a sound of happiness left his mouth. Adam then showed the phone to Josh. 

“That’s the closest one I could find,” 

“I just hope we make it,” Emma sighed.

The car pulled into a seemingly empty parking lot. The neon sign of the 7/11 was barely visible due to the gurgling sun glaring at it. The only sign of life besides the group themselves is one car.  The car itself was a clean white Mini Cooper. The cool air was a much-needed welcome when entering the 7/11. It was a cold blanket that protected the group from the humidity and heat from outside. Behind the counter sat a young adult. His hair was messy and the color of bark. His almost black eyes shined with disgust when the group walked in. The store was quiet.  

“Slushies!” Was the first thing that broke the silence.  

“Hush up!” The young man snapped at the girl. His eyes were squinted, lips twitching slightly. 

Honey seemed to not let this bother her at all. As she ran over to the machine, her white skirt bounced everywhere. She turned around and looked Emma in the eyes. Her gray eyes shine with innocence. 

“Can we please get some?” Honey asked. 

Emma pulled her wallet out of her white over-the-shoulder handbag. 

“Fine.” The blonde sighed. 

Honey took a plastic cup. Her lip between her teeth as she decided what she was going to get. As the sweet girl was picking her sugary drink, the rest of the crew got theirs. Josh ended up with a sour apple drink. While Adam and Emma got more tamer flavors, Emma got bubble gum while Adam got a regular green apple. Honey decided to get cherry as she begged Willow to get blueberry. So if they kissed it would make purple. The walk back to the cashier to pay was quiet. As not to anger the young man behind the resistor. All five cups were lined up in front of the man. 

“You know you're quite cute,” The man said, looking at Honey. 

She blushed “Thank you,” 

“Do you want to go out sometime?” He asked.

“No thank you. I’m already dating someone. Also, I’m only 16.” She said sweetly.

“So what? I’m 25 you should be fine.” 

Honey backed up to Willow. Her hand clutching hers. The man looked between the two girls. You could see the dots connecting in his head. 

“Oh, your gay?” 

Honey tilted her head “Yes?”

“Disgusting,” 

Josh slammed his fist on the counter. Looking directly at the man. 

“Say anything like that again and I promise you, I will knock you out cold.” Josh’s voice was dark and gravely. It was like a bass note on a guitar. The man led over the counter, right in Josh’s face. 

“Disgusting,” He syllable enunciated

The next second flew by quickly. Josh’s hand connected with the man’s eye, the arch also hitting the man’s nose.  

“My goddamn nose! You asshole!”

“#girlboss," Emma commented.

The man fumbled for his phone “I’m calling the cops!” 

Josh looked at the rest of his friends. A weary smile on his face. 

“Snacks?” He suggested.

The tap of feet was heard everywhere. The whole store was almost packed into the small car. One of every candy and snack was in the hands of the group. All of them with smiles of victory on their faces. The group left just in time before the sirens of the cops could be heard in the distance.

The sun was starting to set by the time the car crossed into Chicago. A small weight was lifted off the group of teens. As the sun was setting the soft sound of Dream Sweet in Sea Major by ミラクルミュージカル' flowed through the air. Emma, Josh, and Adam were all asleep in the back. Willow had taken over driving while Honey took the seat of Emma. The windows were open a smidge letting the cool air pass through the two girls. Although it was quiet it was comforting to the girls. It seemed like everything was going perfectly to plan. The only thing that seemed slightly off was Honey was very quiet. She was not even humming.

“Honey, baby are you okay?” Willow asked.

“I just feel like I’m just letting all of you down,” 

The car squeaked to a stop. The three asleep people in the back tousled slightly. Willow's eyes were sharp.

“What?” She sounded angry.

“It-it-it’s just I feel so weak compared to the rest of you. All you guys do is protect me. I was the reason you guys killed the principal. I’m the cause of this big problem. It’s all my fault” She was crying.

Tears caressed Honey’s face. Willow pulled over to the side of the road. She took off Honey’s and her seatbelt. 

“Come here,” Willow whispered, arms opened.

Honey crawled into Willow's arms. Face in the tough girl's chest, hand clutched on her black shirt. Willow just sat there letting the song on the radio fade into Scarborough Fair. When Honey lifted her head up she was met by a smiling Willow. 

“You're so cute. You know that. Right baby.” Willow asked. 

Light, almost feather-like laughter was heard from Honey. Honey smiled at her girlfriend and took her chin. Slowly they moved together until they shared a kiss. A kiss that was full of love and compassion. 

The car was flying down the highway. The sun was high in the sky. The car smelled of flowers, caramel, and a hint of sweat. The radio was blasting My Type by Saint Motel.

“Are we almost there?” Honey asked.

“Just four more hours!” Josh yelled.

Hell yeah!” The car filled with screams

And as all seemed great. Of course, the pigs just had to come and ruin it.

“Goddammit! Cops Josh!” Adam yelled. 

The music in the car was turned to a low level. When it went to zero the group could clearly hear the sirens. Fear came across everyone's faces. 

“We're done for. They definitely know what Josh looks like,” Honey stated softly.

Adam reached over to the girl and squeezed her hand. Her eyes were glossed over. She shook lightly as the car slowed down, and the sirens got closer. 

“Josh lay down in the back,” Emma said sternly.

“What?” Josh screamed.

“Just do it dumbass,” Her voice held power.

Unbuckling his seatbelt Josh did as he was told. Everyone in the back lifted their feet up so he could fit his massive body more easily. Everyone looked to Emma for help. Emma simply moved to the front seat. A smile on her face as the officer moved closer to the window. The widow was rolled down. Making hot air move into the car. 

“Good morning officer! How may I help you?” 

“Do you know how fast you were going, Ma’am?” 

Emma's eyes turned upwards to the officer. Her eyes shone with innocence.

“No officer, I’m sorry. I have no idea how fast I was going.” Her voice was sickly sweet.

“Well please pay attention to how fast you are going next time,” 

“Yes sir!” 

As soon as the officer made it to his car and drove away Emma made a disgusted sigh. 

“I hate using that voice. It’s more suited for Honey, not me.” Emma said out loud. 

“You did great Emma!” Honey completed. 

Josh slowed, sat up from the floor, and turned to Emma. 

“I would like to have my seat back now,” His voice was low.

“Yeah, yeah whatever grumpy-pants,” Emma sighed and moved back towards her seat. 

After the car got all settled again the group ramped up the engine and drove - I’ll be it slower this time-. 

The car crossed over to Las Vegas. The lights almost blinded the five teens. The music playing in the car was perfect. That being All Dolled Up by The Orion Experience. Honey eyes sparkled looking over at all the light. Adam for once had his dull eye sparkly with curiosity.

“Josh. We need to stop at a casino,” Adam’s voice was full of happiness.

Josh looked up with his eyebrows furrowed. 

“Why?” He asked. 

“Money,” His voice was nonchalant like he was just talking about the weather. 

Honey snapped her fingers and looked at Adam. “That’s a great idea!” She exclaimed.

“I know one around here,” Emma stated. 

She then pulled out her phone looking up directions. She then handed them to Josh.

“Are we doing this?” Willow asked.

“Yes,” The whole car yelled.

“Okay. But I bet Honey can make the most money.” Willow said.

“Aww, thanks, Willow. But my money’s on Adam!” 

The car parked at a casino. The neon sign was bright pink and blue. The whole building was almost fully covered in windows. 

“Are you all ready?” Adam asked.

“I’m going to stay. Cause the whole killing the principal thing.” Josh’s fingers made quotations as he said “killing the whole principal thing.”.

“I’ll probably stay here too,” Emma said.

“Casinos are not my thing. Sorry, Adam.” Willow shrugged. 

Adam’s face fell at this.

“Don’t worry Adam I’ll come!” Honey said happily.

A small smile went on the boy’s face. 

“Thanks,” His voice was light. 

Honey and Adam walked hand and hand into the casino. Inside the carpet was a deep red, and the walls looked as if they were made out of pure gold. And best of all no one stopped the two to check their idea.  

“Okay Honey we meet each other right here in ten minutes,” Adam’s voice was hard. 

Honey whistled “That’s all the time you need?” 

Adam nodded and walked away. His stride was confident, his face held a smug smile on it. He held an air like royalty. Opening the per glass door, the duo stepped in. Honey borrowed some much-needed clothes from Emma. Her get-up included a white dress with a thigh slit. Real pearl earrings and a necklace. Then finally to top it off with 6in white heels. Which the girl somehow is walking in. While Adam rocked a white shirt and black pants. His shoes were Josh’s all-black nikes. Then to pull the whole outfit together he wore a black trenchcoat.  Adam sat down at one of the slot machines. It was new. The color of it was a shiny red. Adam looked over the machine, trying to find the model it was. As soon as he did it was over for this casino. He was about to run this machine dry. And he did in exactly five minutes. Then he took it to the man at the front. So he could get the cash. Which took five grueling minutes -it almost felt like forever to Adam-. The amount of money he had gotten was $1,500,00. With his bag full and his hopes, high Adam walked back to see Honey. She also had a decided bag full. When the duo got in, all eyes were on them.

“How much did you bag?” Emma asked.

“I got 1,500,00,” Adam’s voice was monotone.

“Only 2,000,” Honey answered.

Emma raised her eyebrows, a shocked look on her face. 

“Holy sh*t!” Josh said.

“How the hell did you even get that much?” Willow asked.

“A magician never reveals his secrets,” Adam winked. 

The sky was dark. The stars shone brightly. 

“We're here. Only one mile to go.” Josh’s voice was soft.

“Woop!” Honey screamed in unison with Adam.

While Emma and Willow just giggled at the two antics. All the fun was stopped when a siren was heard. The car was silent.

Sh*t,” Josh cussed. 

Adam looked behind him to see the cops. The cops were on top of them. They hadn’t put their lights on before. 

“Josh they're on top of us,” His voice sounded scared.

The car sped up.

“Really couldn’t they just wait a little longer?” Emma asked no one. 

Honey was holding Willow’s hand out of fear. 

“What are we going to do?” Honey asked.

“Go for a detour,” Josh stated. 

The car took a sharp left turn, throwing the kids in the back into each other. Screams were heard from everyone. Some in excitement as well as a genuine fear. It was bumping off the road. Everyone was holding onto something. The music slowly started to be blasted by Emma. Cherry Bomb by The Runaways was the song. When the song got to the chorus the group started to jam. 

“Hello, daddy!” Josh sang as he dodged a rock.

“Hello, mommy!” Emma belted, taking down her hair, shaking it back and forth. 

“I’m your ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!” Willow tapped her foot and nodded her head to beat.

“Hello, world I’m your wild girl!” Adam's voice was just loud enough to be heard. 

“I’m your ch-ch-ch-cherry bomb!” Honey leaned against Willow, this made the two laugh. 

Although the kids were in fact having fun. Little did they know that the car was not having it. The tires could not take the pressure from all the rocks stabbing into the rubber. So much so that the car slowly started to slow. 

“Hey, Josh. Are we slowing down?” He asked slightly out of breath.

Sh*t. I think we are.” He stated.

Honey put on a nervous grin “What are we going to do?” 

“Adam, how close are we?” Emma asked.

“I mean if we are walking,” He paused, “5 minutes tops,”

“We can totally make it. Said none ever.” Willow said.

“We got this Willow!” Honey encouraged. 

“I mean it’s that or got caught.” Adam put it simply.

“Don’t want to be a wimp do you emo?” Josh asked.

“Shut the hell up.” Willow started to put her jacket on.

Emma smiled, taking off her white heels. She looked in the backseat. 

“Let’s do this,” 

Adam checked behind him one last time. What he saw made him smile as the cops were at a comfortable distance away. 

“It’s now or never!” 

He screamed over the new music One Way or Another by Blondie. The group practically fell out of the car. Emma’s bare feet hitting the slightly muddy ground as they ran in the pitch black. The only source of light was Josh's phone, which was on its lost setting bearly helping the group. The cops were close enough to hear the police conversation. They only started to run when they heard one sentence.

“They are not in the car! Search everywhere!”  

The chase was almost fun. Honey giggled as they stopped hearing the police voices. 

“I recognized these woods. We shouldn’t be too far now,” Emma whispered.

Josh hit a wall slightly cursing to himself. 

“Are we here Emma?” Josh asked grumpily.

“Yup!” Emma popped the “p”.

The first one on the wall was Honey. Her being the lightest it was easy to haul her on the wall. Next was Adam, then Adam with the help of Honey hoisted up Emma. Willow was the next to be lifted. Then finally Josh. After they all made it to the wall one at a time they jumped. Willow of course caught Honey so she couldn’t get hurt. The group ran to the back door. When the lights were turned on Emma immediately ran towards the radio throwing on Highway to Hell by AC/DC. While everyone found a place to rest. Willow and Honey were snuggling on the couch. As Josh was on the floor and Adam was on a chair just smiling. The group laughed. Emma turned up the radio.

Even more, laughter filled the air. Their voices swirled like a symphony. Silence then filled the air. Not a silence of fear, just of peace. With the music blasting it was almost like this group of five friends were in the right place. A place of peace and escape. They held their heads up high shouting curses at all those that dared to hurt them. They were safe. And they were with each other. That is all that mattered and ever will matter to them.