The story of Helia | Teen Ink

The story of Helia

By nprasad26, Parsippany, New Jersey
nprasad26, Parsippany, New Jersey

enjoy the story

no

Greetings. My name is Celia. I was a normal high school student who would always get in trouble for many things. Like riding bikes in the hallways, going on the school balcony even though it is off bounds or other intense things you can imagine. I always hated people encouraging me to act like a girl. I would always wear boyish clothes and act the way people don’t want me to act. One day when I was walking from Joe’s Bar, I noticed something glowing in the dark alleyway. I was really curious and made sure that no one else was around me. Sneakily, I crept to the alleyway and noticed a glowing dot floating in the air. I stared at it for a few seconds and slowly approached the mysterious glowing dot. I tried to touch the dot but…. BAM! The dot burst into millions of tiny orbs that looked like orbeez. The whole sky turned from sky blue to murky purple. All the citizens looked at the sky then at the glowing alleyway. I came flying out of the alleyway breaking through the restaurant’s glass. I tried to get up but the shards of glass got into her leg and caused pain when she tried to get up. All the citizens came running up to Celia and called for help. Celia opened her eyes and squinted because there was a bright light shining through their eyes. There were doctors everywhere. Scanning through the cuts and bruises, getting out different tools, and testing me. One of the doctors printed out something and told me, “Ma’am, you have helium in your body.” I froze. “...what.? That’s impossible!” “Well that’s what the results say.”, they replied. “You may have the chance of turning invisible and flying. So it’s like superpowers.” I was speechless but only had one question. “Um.. anything else?” One of the doctors in the back replied, “Well your melting point is -458*F so in the cold you will shrink, and your boiling point is -452.1*F, so in the heat, you will expand in size. You also won’t react with other things, like getting attacked by others. Your toxicity level is really high, so if anyone touches you, it may result death. But don’t worry, we have special gear so we won’t die.” I was confused at what they were saying. “That’s to sciencey for me. Now of you’ll excuse me, I need to get going, my parents are going to kill me of I don’t get home on time. I tried getting up but I was chained for some reason. “Why am I chained.?”, I asked them. “Hold all questions until the end of the test.” Test? All hands were coming at me. “GET OFF OF ME!”, I shouted. The doctors quickly glanced at me and one of them replied, “We’ll get off of you when we’re done healing you.” I started to feel warm and wanted to run away from this place. “I said… get... off.. of... ME!” There was a jolt of lightning that came out of the ceiling sparkling to me. All the doctors and nurses went flying everywhere. I looked around then looked at my hands. All the cuts and bruises are gone! “But… how? The doctors didn’t even get to heal me yet…”, I questioned myself. I bolted out of the doors and ran to the nearest exit. But I couldn’t. There were a bunch of officers and people with long white coats and needles that made them look like mad scientists. One of the officers said, “Young lady don’t think you’ll escape that easily.” I tried to run back but there were already authorities running towards me. I thought and thought of how I would escape. But then… my body felt loose. I started FLOATING! All the officers and mad scientists backed away from me and the officers pointed their guns up at me. I yelled out, “WOAH WOAH, I DON’T THINK THAT’S NECESSARY!” All the mad scientists shouted, “OH IT’S VERY NECESSARY!” I looked around and noticed there was a window. One of the officers noticed I was trying to escape through the window. “STOP HER FROM JUMPING OUT OF THE WINDOW!” Everyone came running towards me. I floated back then started speeding up toward the window and broke out. I was flying! The officers got their guns up and started shooting. I didn’t know what to do so I just closed my eyes really tightly. “Hey, where did she go?!” One of them shouted. I got confused so I just looked at my hands again. “I’M INVISIBLE?!”, I shouted. I flew as high as I could even though I sucked. I flew near Bouchard Park and just walked home. I had so many thoughts in my head. “Do I have powers? What can I do with them? Will I get caught?” I opened the door to my apartment and my parents were waiting for me. My mom said with an angry tone, “Young lady, where have you been?” Shoot. What am I supposed to say? “Um… I just went on a stroll in the park.” My dad replied, “But you always say you hate going to the park, so why would you go on this stroll?” My mom grunted, “You know you’re supposed to be here on time, we hate when you come here late.” I yelled back, “But what about Skylar? She gets to come home late!” “Well, she has good grades, unlike you.” I felt furious and started to burn up. “That’s not fair! My grades have been improving, you’ve even said it right in front of my face!” My dad told me, “That’s not an excuse! And change that tone young lady, you’re growing some attitude.” I felt like I was exploding. “UGH, I WISH YOU WERE NEVER MY PARENTS! YOU NEVER SEE THE GOOD IN ME!” I stomped upstairs and slammed my bedroom door shut. This is so unfair! My “perfect sister” gets anything she wants! … “I want to run away.”, I said to myself. Since I was able to turn invisible, I did that and packed up all my things quietly. My favorite stuffed dragon, tiles, my favorite hoodie, and my other favorite things. I also stashed a few snacks. I opened the door quietly and crept into my parent's room. I opened the drawer quietly and took my dad’s wallet. “Well, he deserves it anyway.”  I climbed out of my bedroom window and tried to levitate but I couldn’t. I sighed and just walked. But wait… where can I go? I decided to go to Sleep Tite Motel since it’s pretty cheap. *4 hours later* “Ugh I’m so bored. I’ll just call Alan.” No answer. “I guess i’ll do takeout.” I look for dad’s wallet. “What?! It’s not here..” I thinked and thinked. Idea! I’ll just dress as a poor kid then I’ll get money. Since I brought some clothes that had a lot of cigarrete stains (don’t ask), I decided to wear those and a sock on one foot and a slipper on the other. Perfect! I strolled down the street and sat in front of Brookhaven Bank. I made a sign saying “Please give money.. My parents kicked me out!” There were a few people looking at me but then walked away. But there were others who gave 10 or 20 bucks. “Only 30 bucks? Wow, that’s not even that much.” I looked around for change and realized. I’m right behind a bank! If I turn invisible and try to sneak in, then I can get the money! I turned invisible and walked up the steps and tried getting in. The door was locked. “Great, how can I get in now?” I kicked the door because I was angry but my foot got through a tiny space in the door. “Woah.” I squeezed through the door and walked towards the vault. I looked around the vault for any open space. No where. “Maybe if there is a vent.?” I looked around. Got it. I tried to levitated towards the vent and got in. I crawled towards the inside of the vault and got in. Jackpot. There were tons of gold and diamonds and stacks of cash. “Bingo.” I grabbed my backpack and gathered up as much money as possible. Jingle jingle. The security. I tried to grab more but I looked at my hands. I’m not invisible anymore! “Hey what’s all the ruckus inside the vault?” Shoot. The vault opens. “HEY! WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING IN HERE?!” , they shouted. Uh… BOOM! I bolteed out of the bank and ran back to the motel. I hear sirens in the distance. “SOMEONE STOP THAT GIRL SHE’S A ROBBER!” There were police officers running after me and police cars with their sirens and light flashing. I tried to fly but I couldn’t because I was running. So I stood still, closed my eyes, and thought. The offices and police cars slowed and had their guns in their hands. “HEY SHE’S FLYING!”, one of them shouted. I opened my eyes looked to the ground. I am flying! I bolted up to the sky as the officers started aiming the guns and shooting towards me. “Wow these cops have nothing better to do huh.”, I said to myself. I got to Sleep Tite Motel. I packed up all my things and just in case looked for dad’s wallet. “ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! IT WAS IN MY POCKET THIS WHOLE TIME?!” Wow I just robbed a bank for no reason. I continued packing all my stuff and flew towards my apartment building. I settled and sat at the rooftop. I looked around our city. The sound of cars honking, sirens from ambulances and police cars wailing, and other city sounds. Then I  just stared at the sky. All the stars looking down at me. I remembered when the doctors said that I had helium in my body. “Wow I’m a villian now. I ran away from tons of people and robbed a bank..” … “I’m a villain now.. So.. I CAN DO WHATEVER I WANT!” I stood up and stood at the very edge of the rooftop. “My name isn’t Celia anymore.. For now on, IT’S HELIA!”