The Louvre’s Thief | Teen Ink

The Louvre’s Thief

By Caroline_Hookey, Highland Mills, New York
Caroline_Hookey, Highland Mills, New York

“Sylvia Quinn.” I turn to see my best friend and handler walking towards me, a U.S. passport in her hand. “I told you, it would be fine.” I scoff as I accept the passport flipping to the name, Mia Evans. I look up at her. She stands over my suitcase adding my Red U.S. Show Jumping jacket to my white pile of breeches. “I told you, it was easy to add a history of your cover and your parents. Forcing you to ride only helped the matter.” She looks up at me to meet my grey eyes. “Ugh your barn smell is clashing with the lemony chemical scent in this room. Don’t forget, please get some info on any of the other riders. I need a list in order to start looking for our little thief” she says. I roll my eyes at her before picking at my clothes and giving it a quick whiff, the overpowering smell of fresh hay and a hint of horse manure fills my nose. “Which horse are you taking?” She finishes up, looking me up and down in my riding clothes. The form fitting, wick away blue tank top clung to me, keeping me cool against the late June heat. 

“I don’t know,'' I reply thinking of my two mares. “Hopefully Mclain Ward can help with that.” I trail off, suddenly cut off by the sound of a jet taking off into the sky. I turn to the door, my boots muffled by the old carpet underneath my feet. 

I turn back to my friend, “I’m heading to the training center, when I come back I expect you to be gone.” I open the heavy fake wood door and hear the lock give a satisfying click. I walk down the beige colored hallway, to the waiting elevator. ‘Ugh not this death trap again.’ I say to myself as I click the round circular button indicating down. I stand tapping my foot, waiting for the old thing to finally reach me.

“I’m surprised you didn’t take the stairs.” A masculine voice says from behind me. I turn my head to see the fake flower pot on the wood table, only to have the view obstructed by the 5’10 dirty blonde haired guy. I look up and meet his bluish green eyes.

I laugh at the comment, “And have the possibility of getting mugged, no thanks.” I say.

He moves next to me with a smile spreading across his face at my comment, “I think you’d be able to handle them,” ‘If only you knew.’ I think to myself. “I’m Hunter,” he says, introducing himself properly, pulling me from my thoughts. The not so silent ding of the elevator cuts our conversation short.

“I know.” I muster as I slip through the elevator's heavy doors.

“What? About me?” Hunter asks. 

I smile sweetly at him as I press the button labeled 1, “Take the stairs.” The metal doors close, leaving me with the picture of his model-like smile burned into my brain.

The ride down wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but as soon as the door opened, that same model face was looking at me. “Can I help you?” I ask as I step out of the elevator, my polished leather boots clacking against the floor as I head for the sliding doors.

“Actually you can, I never caught your name while we were upstairs.” 

I’ll give this guy one thing, he sure is persistent. “Hunter Rowe, right?” I ask him, he looks at me a bit shocked. ‘Guess he was a bit surprised I knew his last name.’ I smirk at him before continuing to my parked car.

“Yeah...I am but you didn’t tell me yours.” 

“It’s Mia, Mia Evans,” I say, throwing him a glance over my shoulder, clicking my car key.

“Like the show jumper” he continues, almost as if he’s checking my story as well. 

“Yeah, the riding clothes didn’t give it away?” I say opening my car door, “Look I actually have somewhere to be so, what do you need?”

He opens his mouth as if to say something but then shakes his head, before turning and heading towards another car, “Ah no actually have a good day Mia,” He finishes as he heads towards a sand colored truck.

I shrug my shoulders, before slipping into the car just as I catch a whiff of the garbage smell of New Jersey. I grab my phone and send a quick message to Madi to have Hunter looked into. ‘There is no way that guy is not going on my suspect list,’ I think to myself. ‘

The car engine rumbles to life as I leave the hotel and get onto the three lane highway. The smell of New Jersey wafts through the car as I fiddle with the AC. The ride was slow as I faced the people who were heading out on travel, but my blasting music made it better as it drowned out the long honks of annoyed people sitting in traffic. Finally I pulled off the highway leaving behind the concrete city behind me and embraced the emerald greenery with the sunlight sparkling through. Another half an hour flies by before I turn into the lavish estate of the U.S. equestrian team. It was well kept. Pristine barns lined the area with rows and rows of green fields and black picket fences. I parked and turned off the engine before stepping out. My nose filled with the sweet fragrance of dewy grass and the mix of horses with a hint of fresh clean hay. The wind swept through my hair as I walked on the cobblestone hedging for the barn. My black leather boots shined against the warm sun and the sound of horses were heard from all around.

I entered the barn to see rows of oak wood stalls filled with perfectly exquisite horses. All of them were beautiful; their coats shining against the overhanging lights. I walked until I reached my two stalls, filled with my moody, psychopathic black mare and the other with my sassy, sweet chestnut mare. I had both shipped in case one was injured. I stood in front of my tall muscular chestnut mare, making the decision to show her in front of McLain as the one I would ride in the Olympics. I looked down to see my tack trunk in the middle of the two stalls. I grabbed my leather halter with Iris’s name on it , leaving behind Tornado’s one as well. I unlocked my chestnut mare’s stall with a click and walked in, sliding her leather halter over her sweet face, pulling it down slightly to kiss the little star on her forehead before leading her out onto the crossties. I tacked and groomed her quickly, feeling the smooth leather against my hands before heading outside with her trailing behind me. This wasn’t the first time I met McLain Ward. He had watched me at tryouts and we had some more practices before today.

“Mia, it’s good to see you, and I see Iris is out of her stall?” Mclain Ward said as he stood in the center of the sand covered arena as two people walked their horses out.

“Yeah, I think she’d be my main ride . Considering I rode her for tryouts,” I said, stopping as I walked into the arena as the two other riders left.

I mounted Iris and started my walk with her continuing my conversation with him. He started speaking, saying that the other rider seemed to be running a bit late. He worked with me practicing and helping me and Iris work together. Finally, we heard the rumble of a truck pulling up. 

“I want you to start with this pattern and we're going to time it,” McLain says and I nod. Asking Iris to pick up her canter. Soon we were flying around the arena, the wind rushing against us. I counted before going up and we flew. I felt us being taken back to the ground by gravity before going airborne again. 

“Mia, see if you can pick up the speed a bit.” I heard him shout though it was nearly drowned out by the wind. I felt the sun warm my skin as I looked towards the last couple of jumps; ‘A triple set and a single. I could cut there…’ And before I knew it I felt the leather reins move against my hand as we took a sharp turn and I lifted myself again before landing to the ground. But it wasn’t silent. At the end a clang sounded behind me. ‘Shit.’ I thought as I continued to count to the last three jumps and before I knew it I was petting a heaving Iris. The sweat was already starting to soak her after our hard jumping course. I looked up for the criticism but met the bluish green eyes from before.

“That was a smart move you pulled,” I heard McLain say breaking the trance between me and Hunter, “just make sure you count and don’t just jump right into the decision because that could cost you.” He turned to see the guy still standing there, “Hunter go get your horse. Mia, I’m gonna change the course and we’ll try again.”

“Ok,” I reply, as I wipe away the sticky dribbles of sweat that are running down my face, I squeezed my legs against Iris to ask her to pick up a trot. It was a smooth rhythm, a simple up and down, continuing never ending. I watched as McLain raised some jumps and positioned the poles a certain way. I watched as he pointed his hand to show the course I now had to ride, his voice steady and calm as it was carried across the air. ‘Simple, start with the lighthouse, go to the triple red bars, head to the diagonal skinny black and white, sharp turn to the water jump, before finishing with the triple navy blue set.’ He looks at me as I spur my mare to start flying. I focus on her heavy breathing, the soft sound of her hooves against the sand, and the swish of her tail. A simple count in the head, before lift off and then I’m flying for a minute just as gravity crashes us back down. And then we speed away. Soon I’m facing the water jump, it’s ripples caused by the slow breeze. ‘1...2...3...4, up.’ And just like that we speed away, looking for an opening sharp turn around the lighthouse. And just like that, we're back on the ground galloping away from the last part of the triple. A slow clap woke me from my little celebration. I looked down and saw Mclain Ward patting a heavy breathing Iris, as he looked up at me with a smile. I looked for the culprit of the clapping; it was another male and female standing at the fence.

“Nice job Mia, let Iris cool off after that amazing round. I’m happy to see you took my advice regarding looking for a shortcut to cut down on time.” McLain finishes up before turning to Hunter, “Let’s get working on River.”

That’s when I noticed that Hunter was on a tall grey gelding. He asks the big gelding to pick up some speed, and he moves effortlessly. His horse, River, has a good frame and he knew how to show off his movements. I finished my walk out by the time they started to jump. River looked graceful as he flew over the jumps, definitely nice to have them on our team instead of other countries. River’s coat looked like a fresh blanket of snow against the sunny July sky. He still had some of his dapples on him, but he was greying out making him captivating to look at as he jumped high in the sky.

I walked Iris back to the barn to untack as I heard the hoof beats of River jumping over the poles. As I was washing off Iris, I heard the sound of muffled boots behind me.

“You looked really good out there, it’s cool to see you ride again since the tryouts,” a girl's voice says.

I reply back spraying water on Iris, “Thanks, I’m Mia Evans by the way.”

“Mave, Mave Archer,” she replies back. “Ajay is the other one on the team.”

I nodded as I started scraping off the excess water, the droplets merging together before falling to the ground with a slosh. Iris was looking like a cinnamon roll from the dampness of water. “I’m heading out,” I say, to make her bring Iris back to her stall, “It was nice meeting you, I’ll see you on the plane tomorrow.” And with that, I left. Mave followed me out but stayed to watch. I sat in the car feeling the soft carpet replace the hard ground. I looked over to see the majestic horse walk by. His coat turned more of a dark grey due to his sweating from the summer heat, his rider flushed red as well. And, that was the last thing I saw before making the long trip back to the hotel.

The room door clicked open, unlocking from my key card. As I entered the room I smelled the scent of lemons, like a chemical agent, I continued into the room pretending to keep packing, while reaching for the hidden gun in my drawer. I felt the cool smooth surface of the gun against my warm palm. As soon as I grabbed it, I turned and aimed it.
“Jesus Madi, do you want me to actually shoot you?” I ask, annoyance loud and clear in my voice.
She just smiles and starts laughing at me, “Maybe I do,” She replies. “Um, did our Agent Carter do well as your groom.”
I nodded, “Yeah she did, was she able to set up the microphones?” I ask, placing my gun down. Madi took a step closer into the room saying that she did.(?)
“Remember the plane ride tomorrow with the team, and you should be thanking me for the lemon smell.”
“It smells like chemicals,” I shoot back, as I check my luggage one more time.
“...Sure it does, um remember to keep me updated on the art thief.” She says before slipping out the door.
I flopped against the bed before grabbing a warm shower, allowing the warm water to wash over my tired muscles. I climb into bed allowing the blankets to suffocate me. A loud blasting beeping sound wakes me from my slumber. ‘Ugh, stupid alarm,’ I groan into a pillow before dragging myself out of the bed. I threw on my sweatpants and a US show jumping jacket before leaving my hotel room. The final click indicated that the door was locked. I stood at the elevator again waiting for the old thing once more, but this time I was surrounded by the rest of my team.
The ride to the airport was short and sweet, everyone just sat in silence as we pulled up to the airport. That’s when the hectic hurricane, that is catching a flight, began. The bags were checked by our groomers as we were rushed through security. The line was slow and long, winding through the area. The sound of jets lifting off and landing was played for all to hear. Slowly, I stepped up to the security desk and walked through the metal detector, a simple beep and green light flashes quickly showing I was allowed to go through. Once through that, our passports were checked and we sat and waited for the plane. The chairs were extremely uncomfortable, the fake blue leather squeaking every time someone moved. Everyone seemed restless as the buzz of the airport moved on, the smell of anxiety and sweat reeking after every person that passed. I glanced down at my phone screen as it lit up with life, the time reading 8:19. Just needed to get to 8:35. I heard the squeak of the leather next to me and looked to see Hunter sitting next to me, his head resting against his raised arms.
“Maybe don’t look so miserable,” he said to me. I looked at him smiling sweetly, though I was glaring at him like I could light him on fire.
“Did you think, maybe just maybe it’s the company?”, I replied. “Why not bother A.J. and Mave,” I tell him and turn my attention back to my phone.
He looks over his shoulder before speaking, “They seem a bit preoccupied.”
I glance and see that they are in a deep conversation, “How much do you wanna bet they're secretly dating?” I say turning to face him. He laughed and shook his head at me.
“You're joking,” he says.
“I never joke,” I reply to him, “See how Mave leans into him and how he keeps looking at her. They are dating each other.”
“I don’t believe this, how can you even tell?” He says looking over at them again.
I shrug, “Just one of my many secret talents.” I reply before turning back to my phone, waiting on any new instructions about my job when it is announced that we can start to board. I stand looking down at him, “Well as much as I enjoyed this conversation, I’m gonna leave and go grab Mave.”
The boarding process was fast and simple and it wasn’t difficult to find our seats in the economy part of the plane. We were in the middle so we were right next to each other. We didn’t talk much as the plane sped down the runway before ascending into the air. I could see Mave looking at A.J. for at least thirty minutes.
“Hey,” she turned to look at me, “why don’t you ask whoever is sitting next to A.J. to swap with you,” I told her.
She looked at me laughing, “And why would I do that?” she says to me.
I sigh, “Because the two of you are dating and you obviously want to sit next to him.”
She nodded, getting up and exchanging a few words with the person next to A.J. While that is occurring I glance at my messages from Madi. I sent her a quick message asking for a list of people who have been in the Olympics since the start of the stolen art. She replies not even a minute later with the list.
“You know there’s a rule about being on your phone right?” A voice says above me. I look up and meet Hunter's eyes.
“Ugh of course you were the one next to A.J.,” I said pouting as he sat next to me. The plane bounced in the air and I could hear Hunter sucking in air. I turned and looked at him. “Don’t tell me Mr.Olympian is scared of flying,” I say stifling a laugh.
“I’m not scar-,” The plane shakes again, causing Hunter to clutch the seat's armrests. Now I am laughing out loud with him glaring at me. The plane stops jostling around before he speaks again. “I am not scared of flying, I am just scared of the plane randomly falling out of the sky.” He says this as if to justify himself. Turbulence hits the plane again and I chuckle.
“This isn’t funny Mia.” He says to me, his voice mixed with fear and annoyance.
“It kinda is,” I replied. “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone. Everyone will still think you're the cool guy.”
“I have to say you were right about Mave and A.J,” He says changing the subject.
I smile, “What can I say, I have a sixth sense for this type of thing.”
We fall silent, as the seat belt buckle lights up again. He quickly does his as I try to contain my laughter. I look down at my phone to see a text from Madi giving me a list of art that I would need to keep an eye on. Hunter reaches for the remote to turn on the T.V. as I put in my airpods as I start listening to some voice memos left by Madi, giveing me details about the mission. Reminding me I have a day before the horses get to Paris, so I should scout out the Louvre.

I wake up at the plane being jostled around by turbulence again. ‘I guess I dozed off while listening to Madi talk about the boring stuff like checking out the Louvre,’ I think to myself. ‘Wait what am I resting against, it’s hard unlike the comfy seating.’ I gave up and fell asleep on Hunter. ‘Ugh just great, fall asleep on the lead suspect why don’t you Sylvia.’ I lean up looking at him. I guess he could feel my staring at him because he stopped his show and looked down at me.
"I can’t believe you fell asleep for most of the flight,” He says, smiling at me, “I was able to watch five episodes of Criminal Minds, like Prentice dies and you just have to wake up, extremely rude.”
“Well, unlike some people I am really busy and we need our beauty sleep.” I replied back.
“Wow, did you just call me ugly?” he says back to me a look of shock on his face, “And I will have you know I am very busy,”
“Mhm,” I say trying to stop my laugh from escaping, “I’m sure you are.”
We continued to talk and as we did I could smell the alcohol around us as people ordered more drinks from the passing flight attendants.
“What are you going to do when we land?” he asks, sipping a beer.
“Probably go to the hotel room and crash.” I reply, ‘I really should go scout out the Louvre.’ I think to myself.
“You slept for five hours, “ he says back.
I laugh, “We still have like two more to go.” I replied. “What are you going to do before the horses arrive? I ask.
“You mean what are my plans for the next day, go tour France probably, most likely sight see,” he says.
“Can I join you? I haven’t been to France yet so I need some help,” I ask, sounding desperate, ‘What a lie,’ I think to myself.
“Yeah, I’ve been to France at least three times,” he says.
We continued to talk until the plane made it’s fast descent into Paris.
The hotel was nice, it smelled like vanilla and the room was huge. The view was amazing overlooking the pretty night streets. But, I couldn’t enjoy it. Before long I grabbed my bag and headed towards the Louvre. I set up some cameras around the area and made sure it was connected to my computer before leaving. Now all I had to do was wait and make sure some priceless piece of art wasn’t stolen. While being a part of the Olympic games. I had two days before it started and three before the show jumping occurred. Not a lot of time to catch an art thief, but it was doable.
The next morning, I walked out of the hotel to meet up with Hunter. It was a bit warm, around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. I was in jeans and a black tee, with some boots. Hunter had a loose white tee and jeans as well but with penny loafers.
“So where do you want to go first?” he asked, as we walked down the sidewalk.
“Let’s go to the Louvre. I think we can stay there before the horses get in,” I reply, inhaling the deep smell of bread that was just pulled out of the oven.
The walk over was long, but it was pretty, the streets lined with lamps and people bustling around. Flowers everywhere and cobblestone roads as far as the eye could see. We walked into the Louvre, the architecture was just as breathtaking as the art itself. We walked around for a bit, but when I reached the Mona Lisa, I scanned it when Hunter left to look at another work of art. I let out a sigh, the real piece of art was still here. I checked the Salvator Mundi as well and it was safe. The Venus de Milo check. But when I reached the Winged Victory of Samothrace, it was a fake. ‘Sh*t, sh*t, sh*t, sh*t.’ I said to myself. I started to laugh at the thought that a piece was already stolen. Ugh, now I’m gonna have to go look at the computer footage that I recorded over the night. I text Madi to let her know that a piece was already stolen and to keep a lookout for it on the dark web. I don’t look at the text that she sends back to me. Instead I rushed over to Hunter, telling him I was heading back to the hotel. I didn’t wait for him, and I ignored him as he yelled after me. I went back to the hotel and started watching the feed. As the timestamp on the computer started to read 1:45 in the morning, I saw a figure head to the Louvre. I tried to get a closer look, but I couldn’t see the person's face. It definitely wasn’t Hunter because the person was not 5’10”. But from the looks of what the cloaked figure brought, they were going to be going back and I would be waiting to stop them.
I got a text from Carter, saying that Iris just arrived at the barn. I sent a text back asking for her to get Iris comfortable in the stall and to set the tack trunk up. I looked back at the clock reading 3:03 in the afternoon. I set a timer on my phone for 5:30. I fell onto the down comforter with a thud. I tossed and turned until my alarm started blared that annoying beeping sound. I got up, more annoyed by the fact that I didn’t get a satisfying nap before my stake out. I went to my suitcase and pulled out my black leggings and black long sleeve shirt with my black sneakers. Finally, pulling my brunette hair into a high sleek ponytail, I placed a black cap over my eyes. I turned towards the door, grabbing my key card and stuffing my computer into my backpack. I double checked that Madi had it exactly how I liked it. And she did, a pair of binoculars, night vision goggles, handcuffs, a taser, a gun, water, and a couple of snacks, along with headphones. I snatched my phone and whisked out the door, trying to shut it as silent as I could. I continued down the hall, my feet softened by the carpet. I kept my head down as I passed by other Olympians. I walked past the elevator and headed straight for the stairs. I took them two at a time making sure my feet were light against the concrete until I pushed against the heavy door to the parking lot. I grabbed the car keys from the bag and clicked them. A simple beep sounded from a black bug that was next to a maroon Honda. I unlocked the door and slipped in before peeling out of the spot and heading for the Louvre. I came to a stop putting on my seatbelt and checking my mirror to make sure I wasn’t being followed, no cars were behind me, only the lights of a motorcycle that was parked. I pulled out of the hotel and onto the road heading for the museum.
I pulled up and stopped a few feet away from the Louvre. I opened up my laptop, looking at the cameras I set up. A couple of guards were positioned around the museum. I grabbed my phone looking at the time, 6:11. Eleven minutes after the museum closed, the suspect wouldn’t come yet, it's too early. Now it’s a waiting game. I went to the call button and hit a contact. I waited five seconds before my ear filled with an annoyed voice.
“Why are you calling me?” Madi asks.
I smile before speaking, “Well, hello to you too.”
“Quinn, what do you need?” She asks with a huff.
“Um so I’m outside the Louvre, can you have someone hack into the cameras for my computer…please?” I ask, pleading.
I hear the sound of a swivel leather chair moving across the floor before a door opens and Madi screams, “Hey, I need footage of the Louvre on Agent Quinn’s computer ASAP.” I hear the door shut and the chair moving back across the room with a swish, “Okay it’s done, have fun on your stake out and don’t lose another piece of priceless art or I swear to God Quinn.” She says.
“Or you’ll do what we both know I could beat your ass,” I say, “I love you, I’ll call back soon, bye.” I finished hanging up the phone with a click.
I let out a breath of air turning back to my computer while throwing my phone in the passenger seat. The screen changes in a matter of seconds allowing me to see not only mine but the Louvre’s. I check and see the security guards are moving. I turn back to my clock showing 7:24. ‘Ugh, this is so boring.’ I sit in the car, staring at the computer for another two hours and going over my old footage before I get a little notification from my cameras indiacating movements. I grab my laptop and click on the blinking camera slot, enlarging it. I was able to catch a glimpse of a figure entering the museum. I grab my gun and place it in my belt and put my phone in my pocket after sending a text to Madi to have the guys back at home to hack my computer for the evidence. I slip across the sidewalk, looking down at my phone to see an incoming call from Madi. I answer it by slipping in my airpods.
“Ok, we hacked the door so you can just enter it, the figure is waiting around a corner so be careful.” She says.
I reached the door but paused.
“Why aren’t you going in? Quinn, now is not the time to freeze.”
“I am not freezing but, I smell gas, check the cameras for me,” I say whispering.
There's a pause before she speaks again, “The cameras are showing smoke but it’s disappearing already. Hold up, a clearer picture just came in and…you were right all the security guards are out on the floor.”
I open the door and slip in. The museum is eerie at this time of night. The moonlight slipped in through the window. I step out into the open before speaking, “Where is the suspect right now?”
I only catch a couple words before losing connection with her. They were, “the camera’s are going, by … Mundi.” ‘The Salvator Mundi, that’s where they're going. I run down the halls passing by sculptures and sleeping bodyguards. I run up the steps before stopping in my tracks. I looked around the corner to see the cloaked person standing there. A black duffle bag laid at their feet. As I look up, I see that they are holding a piece of paper in their hands in front of the painting, but from my angle I can’t see if it was the true work of art or a fake. I look to my right and see a statue placed in the middle of the room. I hold my breath before doing a somersault across the floor. I press my body up against the cool pillar, holding my breath before slowly peeking out. The pale moonlight shines just bright enough for me to see that there is a painting still on display. The suspect bends down, their leather gloves squeaking as they roll the piece of ancient art into a silver container. I crouch and start to move forward, allowing the palms of my feet to move softly against the stone cold floor. But, as I draw closer they start to turn and slide across the floor hitting a pillar. A statue starts to teeter and falls in my direction. I swiftly catch the piece of art. It’s cool against my warm hands. I place it on the ground fixing my baseball cap to hide my eyes as best as possible. I pick up the statue and place it back on the pedestal.
I glance up and see the person looking at me, frozen solid. I reach for my gun as quickly as possible. It easily slides out of its hiding place that was against the small of my back. As I do this, the person dives for their bag. Grabbing something, but they're too slow by the time they're upright. I already have my gun pointed at them. It glints against the moonlight.
“I wouldn’t do that,” I say, as they continue to raise their hands.
He looks at me, frozen. I get a good glance at them, male, with a buzzed haircut. His eyes are a dark brown, like spruce wood.
“Drop your weapon and get on the floor,” I say as I start to step forward, “trust me you don’t want me to repeat myself.”
He does a slow descent almost like a sloth, ‘My God this person really said let’s take 5 years off my life.’ I think to myself. I grab my zip ties, but as I do he stands up in a flurry bringing their legs around. I jump back, distancing myself from the perpetrator.
“You know I really hate it when you guys just can’t follow directions,” I announce, annoyance ringing out in the empty corridor. I ran after him, toppling him to the ground. He knees me in the gut. I slide across the floor, allowing myself to get my balance back. This offers me no time before he comes at me with punches. They sail at me slicing through the air. I’m dodging, but have started to back up. I crash against a wall, but use it to wind up my kick, landing a blow on his chest sending him flying backward. I grab my gun and fire a shot, just grazing his arm. He runs for his bag, but I cut him off. I jump in the air, twisting as I come back down, I land a kick but he grabs my leg pushing me to the ground.
I land hard on my back, winded. I sit up coughing up blood, I wipe it from my mouth trying to forget about that iron taste. “Now, I’m pissed.” I say. I stand up and stalk towards him. Grabbing the hidden knife from the inside of my boot. It’s silver blade glints in the night. The bag is in their hands. I rush forward, picking up speed before sending him to the ground, but he rolls on the ground getting out of my reach. He suddenly drops the bag and comes at me. I moved out of the way just in time but he was able to grab a part of my baseball cap. I move to the ground landing in a pose. He rushes towards the stairwell and I aim and throw the knife. It slices through the air scraping his hands just as they disappear into the dark stairwell. As I look up, my cap falls off of my face. I push myself off the ground and brush myself off picking up my cap. I head for my knife that is now stuck in the wall. But, as I get closer I see a person crouched behind a big statue. And, I come face to face with the bluish-green eyes that I have gotten acquainted with.
“Well shit,” I say staring down at a shocked Hunter. “This is just fucking great.”
Time seems to stop as my mind races for something to say, anything but nothing comes up. There is no easy way to explain what Hunter just saw. I can see him start to open his mouth, but I interrupt him.
“We need to get out of here.” I say fishing the knife out of the wall. I walk back to the black duffle bag and pick it up. I look back to see Hunter still standing in front of the stairs watching me.
“Hunter we really need to leave, we don’t know if that guy sounded an alarm.” I say grabbing his arm and leading him down the stairs.
We walked through the museum passing the guards, still knocked out from the sleeping gas and out into the cool night. I grab my phone as we rush across the dark sidewalk towards my car. I open the passenger door shoving Hunter in, before throwing the bag in the back seat. I walk to my side of the car. Getting in and turning on the ignition. I dial my most recent call as I start to drive back towards the hotel. Madi picks up after two rings.
“Oh my God, are you okay?” She says, I can hear the panic in her voice.
“Yeah, yeah I’m fine.” I pause before speaking again, “Hey are we secure, like just you and me talking.” I wait to hear her move across the room and up metal staircases, her heels pounding as she heads up to her office. The door is silent, I can only tell she’s in her office when I hear the blinds thud against the floor.
“Yeah, we're secure,” she says, though I hear her pacing.
I look to the left of me as we turn into the hotel's parking lot, “I need you to get here by tomorrow morning.”
“Quinn, what’s going on, it’s 7:00 here,” she says as I hear her fingers clicking against the computer.
“Madi, I need you in Paris as soon as you can, like this morning.” I say turning off the engine.
“Quinn, it's almost an eight hour flight.”
I let out a sigh, “Madi, I need you ok, take the jet, just get here.” With that I hang up the phone.
I look over to Hunter who I’m assuming has been watching me the whole time. “You're coming to my room with me I say.” As I turn around and grab everything out of the backseat.
With my arms filled to the brim with my spy gear I follow Hunter through the side staircase and all the way up till we reach the third floor. The hallways are quiet as we pass by multiple doors.
“Right here, this is my room, take the key and open it ok?” I say trying my hardest to sound nice. The door clicked open and we both stepped in. I closed the door softly behind me.
“So are you…what…who…are you planning on killing me?” Hunter asks, stammering over his thoughts.
I set everything down before turning back to him, “No, I’m not going to kill you.” I let out a sigh, starting to pace the floor. I cast a glance in his direction. He just sits on the bed not moving.
“You should get some sleep,” I say, as I stifle my own yawn.
“I think it’s pretty safe to say that you don’t trust me and I would like to keep living.” Hunter says.
I let out a chuckle but didn't respond realising that he’s right; we don’t trust each other.

The sky already had the brushstrokes of yellow, orange, and light blue when there was a knock on the door. I walked over to the door, glancing through the circular peep hole. Madi stood outside, her dark brown curly hair frizzy, and her clothes wrinkled from the long flight. I open the door allowing her to slip in.
“Alrighty so why did you,” her voice fades out as she stops in front of an exhausted looking Hunter, “need me?” She whips around to me, “He…he knows.” I nod my head, not wanting to be scolded like a child.
“Qui…Mia what the hell were you thinking?” She asks, staring wide eyed as she gets a better look at Hunter. He looks worse than me, dark purple bags hang under his greenish blue eyes. His dirty blonde is dishevelled; honestly he just looks like a mess.
“I didn’t mean to, I didn’t see him when I went in,” I say, staring at Madi.
She sighs before walking over and sitting next to Hunter on the bed. He leans away from her allowing enough space to run if she tries to kill him.
“Okay Hunter, what I am about to tell you is…complicated but necessary and you will only be told this for secrecy. If you break this secrecy and expose this secret I will send Mia over there after you on an assasinaton attempt.” She says, smiling sweetly at him. He looks like he’s about to faint but musters out a weak agreement of understanding.
She smiles wider before continuing, “Perfect, so Mia here is undercover for the United States in order to stop the theft of priceless pieces of art that go missing every time there is an Olympics. You were just the unlucky guy who had to find out her secret. But, if you tell anyone what she truly is I will let her end you, okay?”
He nods again.
“Now can I ask why you were there, at the Louvre I mean?” She asks as her hazel eyes peer into his soul.
“I…I saw Mia leave her room with a random bag and it was getting late so I decided to follow her.” He looked at me before continuing, “I followed her to the Louvre and saw her just sitting there, I wondered why she was there and why she stayed there for so long and was about to ask when she got out of the car.” He turns back to Madi meeting her piercing gaze, “So I followed her inside and then they started fighting and a gun went off so I decided to hide and then she saw me and now I’m here being interrogated by you.”
She looks at him then nods, she gets up and leans into my ear, “was he the person on the tape?”
I shake my head no, “He doesn’t match the height and his eyes don’t match.”
She nods, turning back to him, “Both of you need to act normal,” and with that she walks out of the room letting the door close behind her.
I turn back to him, he actually meets my eyes now. “I’m sorry about her, it’s just a procedure if someone finds out.” He noods looking back to the door, “You can leave now if you want, I’m about to head to the barn for a quick ride before the opening ceremony.”
“Yeah, I’ll join you.” He says standing up giving a small smile as he heads for the door.
The lock sounds behind him, and I quickly get ready grabbing the smooth whire breeches and grabbing myblue US long sleeve. The black boots slide onto my feet easily. I grab my phone seeing a message from McLain saying he wants the team to have one more practice before the competition tomorrow. And with that, I head for the door, swiping my key card on the way out.
I walk outside, a hot coffee in my hand as I head towards the village. The time reads 9:00 AM as I head toward the arena. As I arrive, I see multiple people walking around and multiple horses are all around. I walk into the barn and see my mare already being groomed by Carter. My tack trunk is open and I grab my helmet. I help Carter finish taking Iris up before heading toward one arena. As I walk out I see Ajay on a dark bay paint horse. We’re the only ones besides McLain who is setting up jumps.
“Hey Ajay.” I say as I walk Iris over to him. I stand a bit taller than him as I stop Iris next to his horse.
He nods his head favoring his left arm against his body, “you okay, your arm doesn’t look too good.” I ask.
“Yeah, I just got into a bit of a fight with some of the furniture,” he responds, laughing uneasily. I laugh with him, he is a terrible liar.
We look to see Hunter and River emerge with Mave and her bay horse as they head to the arena. Once everyone is on and in the arena, McLain has us start to warm up. Everyone easily follows his directions, going from walking and trotting to cantering and working the horses up to a gallop. He has us take turns around multiple courses. Hunter went first, River was a fast horse and he looked mesmerising as they ran the course, he finished in eighty-two seconds. AJay followed, his horse was a bit slow but she barely blinked at the jumps doing whatever her rider asked of her, they finished with eighty-seven seconds and a rail down. I glanced at the course before Iris started, she was fast but she tested me with some jumps. We zoomed around finding corners to cut time, by the time we were done we finished in eighty seconds flat. Lastly Mave went, her gelding was doing well. They finished with eighty-three seconds and a refusal. By the time McLain let us leave, our horses were already sweating and we had to get ready for the opening ceremony.
The clock read 6:00 pm as every US player arrived at the lighting stadium, it was loud and filled with energy. Teams from all across the world were standing under the lights. It was a simple walk with each country but the energy made it so much more than it was, I looked to my right and caught a glimpse of Mave and Ajay standing together. She was looking worried at his left arm where a bandage was. The white bandage was painted rust in the center. I smiled at them, but I knew after tomorrow AJay would be taken down.
That night I was racked with nerves, I looked at my phone waiting for the information on how to take down Ajay, only to see the information says he has a partner. I could bet money that it’s his black hair brown eyed girlfriend Mave. I rolled back over letting my nerves settle into my stomach before drifting to sleep.
The alarm blared to life waking me up from my peaceful slumber. The morning moved fast as the team had breakfast before heading to the villa to get ready. The horses were already shining and their hair was perfectly braided and put into buns. I grabbed Iris kissing her snip, our little pre round ritual. The warm up was fast and before any of us knew it we were standing in the sidelines at noon watching the last Swiss rider finish the round. As soon as they exited the announcer called for Mave and her horse Don Cid van Casall. They flew round the course but as they headed for the multicolor fashion jump he knocked a pole down. They ended with two seconds over the time allowed. Next they called Ajay and L.J.Quirie. I watched them closely, he looked strong but he was in pain. They ended with three seconds over but with two poles down. Hunter followed with Concepcion. They were amazing besides knocking a rail down at the Eiffel Tower jump and the water jump. But they finished on time, giving us hope. Then my name was called, “Mia Evans on For Your Eyes Only”.
The lights were blinding as we stepped onto the sanded arena. The stands were filled with people and as soon as that bell rang we were off. I let Iris start galloping heading to the first jump; the red, white, yellow, and green flower jump. Simple up and down before we turned towards the multi Olympic jump. Then we had the doubles, the Alp jump was easy, a simple pop up. The hard part was being able to time it just right for the beach jump right after. Four were down, now there were eight more left to go. The next was the hard single jump, it was a baguette. I could feel Iris start to rush, but I held her back till the second stride before letting her jump over the jump. I could hear the cheers of the crowd as we raced to the triple jumps. It was dedicated to the last summer Olympics, these Olympic games, and the next Olympic games. After we finished that, we rounded to the water jump. It had the idea of a bridge around it. Then we raced to the fashion jump before rounding to the bakery one. The last one was a lavender jump, I squeezed Iris to start galloping faster. 1..2..3..4 and we were up, flying for a split second, then we were down back on the ground thanks to gravity. I patted Iris on her neck, letting her walk back towards the others. I looked around and saw the lavender pole was on the ground, but I looked up and saw we just made the time limit and I beamed down at Iris hugging her. McLain greets Iris with a pat on her neck and me with a smile.
“Nice work out there Mia and especially Iris,” he says before turning back to the others. “Okay guys, let’s let the horses go back to the grooms while they set up for the next round.”
I walk her over to Carter before leaning down, “Is everything ready for taking in Ajay and Mave?” She nods, grabbing a hold of Iris as I dismount from my sweet mare. I kiss her little snip one more time before meeting up with the others. I look at the board and see we’re in second place, behind Switzerland.

A couple of hours pass before we meet back with McLain Ward. I met up with Madi and a few other officers while someone kept tabs on Ajay and Mave. Hunter walked up next to me as I mounted Iris.
“You know, my plan was to stay far away from you since the whole thing.” I let out a laugh as I grabbed the reins.
“Really, I feel so hurt.” I respond as we walk back to the sidelines waiting to be called into the ring one last time.
“Yeah, so um how is it going exactly?” He asks, looking around. But everyone is too focused on the dark bay and riders from Italy to pay any attention to us.
I sigh knowing that I can’t give him any information on the whole arrest and who it is but, “It’s going good, we think it could be a groom maybe for Ajay.” I say.
“Okay, so then what will happen to you after this?” He asks an emotion I can’t quite figure out filling up his bluish-green eyes.
“Right, what happens after, I usually disappear. A story that Madi creates comes out whether that be I moved across the country or something tragic has happened,” I replied.
He nodded, absorbing the information, “So, I guess then I won’t see you again.” He says.
I clear my throat looking forward to seeing the horse refuse the jump, “Yeah ,that sounds about right.”
McLain walks over to us, giving us some helpful suggestions about the last ride. “Hunter, you know River, use that. I know you can hold him back when he gets excited and I know he can go faster than that. And Mia, you did good but remember to not rush and count your strides.” And with that Mave and Don Cid van Casall took the arena, his black legs pounded against the sand as he jumped, he’s brown coat gleamed against the lights as they jumped over the baguette. She finished faster with a second over the time limit and one rail down. Then Ajay took to the arena allowing for L.J.Quirie to move around. He was pushing her which helped with time as they only ended with one penalty point but a rail was knocked down in the process. Hunter went out with Concepcion, I could see his heavy breathing, but they were able to make the time and were lucky to knock no poles down. And I brought up the rear, I felt her strong muscles under me as we cleared the lavender jump. I quickly slowed her so we could make the sharp turn for the triple set. Her hooves were ringing in my ears as we rushed toward the water jump. I asked for her to speed up as we neared the jump. After that it was the doubles, but that stride count was off, I felt it as soon as I rose out of the saddle. I waited to hear the pound of the pole hitting the ground but it never came. I pushed it out of my mind as we raced around the arena focusing on the last remaining jumps. Then it was over, I walked her over to the team and realised we made it clear. I hugged Iris as we waited for the announcement of who was the winner of gold.
Germany came in third, Switzerland came in second, and bringing home the gold was team USA. Cheers rang out as we celebrated the win, bottles of champagne exploded as we led the groups for our gallop around the arena. I could feel Iris let her legs extend and the rush of wind in my head. But, that would be the last bit of happiness I would get for the rest of the day.
We walked out of the arena, I hopped off Iris kissing her as Carter grabbed her from me. I followed Ajay and Mave. They were heading back to the Villa when I finally caught up with them.
“Hey guys, sorry to interrupt but can you guys come with me real quick?” I ask hoping they’ll take the bait. I can see Ajay looks skeptical but Mave agrees and drags Ajay along. I bring them along where Madi and the rest are waiting to take them away. I quickly slide through the space between Madi and Agent Rossi. I continue towards the Villa to go change as I hear the curses from Ajay and Mave calling out after me.
It’s been an hour since Madi came to meet me by Iris, I already went back to the room to change after the whole take down. I sit on the tack trunk and look up as she walks up to me.
\
“Quinn, I need to tell you something,” She says sitting down next to me.
I look over at her, giving her my attention before she continues, “Mave, wasn’t the one helping AJay.”
I stand up abruptly startling Iris in the process, “What do you mean Mave isn’t the one? There can't be anybody else.” I half whisper scream.
“Look we’ll do a little more digging but we might not find the other partner,” she says.
But at this point, I’ve stopped listening to her, all I can do is think of signs and clues I might have missed. Images flash through my head, the talks, how we were together, and the night I found out it was Ajay. I laugh out loud, amusement and anger fueling it. It was him all along and he played me like a fool.
I turn around a glint of anger now turning my eyes stormy grey, I interrupt Madi with the simple sentence, “Where the hell is Hunter?”
“What?” I hear Madi say as I rush out of the Villa looking around.
I turned back screaming, “It was Hunter.” As I start heading towards the rooms. I rush up the three flights of stairs before stopping at my door with a note taped to it. I snatch it off the door looking it over as fast as I can.
‘Mia…I’m sorry can I call you Quinn, it’s just I like this name more than your undercover one. Well, I’m sure by now you pieced it together; I'm the partner with AJay… surprise. But, if you are reading this message I’m gone, I really will miss you. I did like annoying you Quinn and hanging out with you. But, let's be honest we both were gonna leave so we could never get attached. However, I know you well enough that you won’t stop hunting for me. Sadly, I wanted to ask you out, but, I think at this point if we were to 0go on a date one of us would be dead or I’d end up in handcuffs and definitely not the ones I want. Now with that I say goodbye, I’ll see you around Quinn. Let the games begin. -Hunter.’