Lost but not forgotten | Teen Ink

Lost but not forgotten

By mathew BRONZE, cowansville, Other
mathew BRONZE, Cowansville, Other

anyways

I started up to a giant golden door that towered over me, I pushed on the door with all my strength to get through, and to my surprise there's someone standing on the other side like he was expecting me, he didn't say anything. The dark figure raised his hand and slowly I began to lift into the air he kept me there for a short time then started to close his hand,I felt my throat getting tighter and tighter. As I began to faint he muttered something that I couldn't understand. On the brink of fainting he lets me go and I hit the ground hard.

"Wake-up sleepyhead", I heard Laura shout. Just as I got my eyes open Laura decided to open the curtain. The light was so bright my eyes started to water, it was a beautiful sunny day, with little clouds in the sky. My house overlooks a lake, and is very beautiful in the morning. after my eyes stopped watering I noticed my girlfriend Laura in the window looking at me with discussed look on her face. Laura is 5'4 with medium brown hair to her shoulders, and looks like an angel, especially in the sun. My name is Charles I am 5'9 with short brown hair and don’t look to good in the morning.
"Do you plan on staying in bed all day" Laura said with a giggle in her voice, I glanced over at Laura and replied "not really" then rolled over, "let me just take my shower and I will meet you downstairs" I grunted. I live in a two story house with two bathrooms, one bedroom, a kitchen, a living room. and a decent sized backyard.
As I was walking to the shower, I noticed a shadow cross the hall. "Laura?" I shouted down the hall expecting someone to answer, but no one did, maybe it was just my imagination I thought to myself.
when I turned the shower on I noticed another shadow coming from behind me, I turned around quickly to see if I could catch Laura in the act of trying to scare me, but no one was there.
I got in the shower and noticed that my sponge is missing "maybe Laura is messing with me" I said to myself, As I got out of the shower I noticed the door had been opened, and the clothes that I put on the counter are also missing. When I opened the door wider I glanced down at the floor I saw a footprint, I bent over to have a closer look at it, the footprint was wade of black mud, and had the most ghastly odour to it. I cleaned it up as fast as could because the smell was overwhelming. I checked every room upstairs but no one was up here, I started for the stairs and realized that whoever it was clearly came from outside, so Laura couldn’t have done it. As I walked downstairs, I peeked around the corner to check if Laura was in the kitchen. She was sitting in the chair at the table.

I walked into the kitchen and asked Laura "did you go upstairs?" she looks at me like I was had gone crazy, then gently replies "no, why are you asking?" I couldn't say anything, I thought maybe I had gone crazy. I sat at the table and started to eat, Laura came out with this obscured question, "can we have a baby?" she asked with a confident look in her eyes. I was so shocked the only word that came out of my mouth was "no", the look on Laura's face was disappointing, she was clearly hoping for another answer. "DO you know how much responsibility a baby is?" I said "of course I do" she said with anger in her eyes.
I watched her expression for a little bit and came out with "how about you give me a chance to think about it, then we will talk about having a baby". Laura jumped out of her seat with excitement and shouted "okay" then ran upstairs to take a shower. Later that night we watched a movie, something about this man trying to find a way out of prison, it wasn’t very interesting, after the movie had finished it was really late, Laura had fallen asleep with her head on my lap, I looked at Laura, she was sleeping like an angel, I moved her slightly to the left, trying not to wake her, but she woke up anyway. I asked her "are you ready for bed?" she looked and nodded her head in agreement and replied "yes, I’m ready".

We walked upstairs and crawled into bed, just as I was about to fall asleep, I heard a strange noise, like a whispering sound, saying "your mine, your mine". I sat up in bed thinking that I might be able to hear it better, but it stopped, I thought to myself for a second, trying to figure out where it was coming from, after about twenty minutes of figuring it out I fell asleep. Later that night I had the same dream about the dark figure raising me in the air and choking me, but this time I understood the last word he said... "mine", I jumped up and realized Laura wasn’t in bed, I got up to look for her, I searched the entire house but could not find her, I walked into the kitchen again and realized that the door to the basement was open.
I walked downstairs and started to look around, Laura was standing in front of the wall starring at it whispering "I know your there, I know your there". I walked over to Laura and turned her around and noticed she was still sleeping, I walked her back up to bed and noticed moving veins on her arm, I put her in bed and covered her up. I got back into bed and thought to myself "what could those veins be?" after a long time of thinking the alarm went off, Laura woke up and Glanced over at me, "are you OK?" she asked. I looked back at her and replied "let me see your right arm" "why?" she asked "just let me see it please" she lifted her arm to show me, but there was nothing, "what about the other one?" I asked, she lifted her other arm, but still nothing, I must have been dreaming last night.
We both got up and went downstairs to have breakfast, she asked me " are you excited about tomorrow?" I looked at her with confusion "why?" Laura replied "its your birthday, how can you forget?" I did not know what to say, I felt so stupid forgetting my own birthday. "I have a surprise for you tomorrow" Laura said, I think you will like it. "What is it?' I asked, Laura looked at me and said 'it wont be much of a surprise if I tell you, will it?" after back and forth of trying to get her to tell me my surprise, we decided to watch a movie to get my mind off of things.

After the movie was done Laura wanted to go for a walk around town, so we did, we walked past the plaza where we first met, the plaza was completely white and surrounded buy a moat, and I noticed a shadow just standing there I turned my head and looked back, but it was gone, "did you see that?" I asked with trembling voice. "See what?" Laura asked. "over there on the plaza, the shadow, did you see it?" Laura looked over at the plaza then back at me and thought I might have seen something, "lets just finish our walk" Laura suggested. When we made it back home, it was time for bed, I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth, I saw the shadow in the mirror, I looked back, but it was already gone, I even glanced down the hall hoping that I might get at least a glimpse of who it was. when I realized there was nothing there I slipped into bed and fell asleep.

"Charlie, get down here please!" Laura screamed from down in the kitchen. "Come help me Quick!" I got up out of bed not realizing that the bed had been moved slightly to its side. I ran downstairs and fast as I could, tripping over my own feet shouting what, what is wrong?" "kill it please", I looked to where Laura was pointing and I saw a spider crawl under the fridge. "Is that all you where screaming about?" I asked with a blank expression, while picking the spider up and tossing it out the window. "Thank you" Laura pleaded, while holding her hands up to her head wiping of the sweat she made jumping. "Its OK, I was getting up anyway" I lied while turning to go back upstairs. I turned into my room and noticed the window open, I quickly ran over and looked outside to see if I could catch a criminal, but no one was there. Laura walked into the room and asked “what are you doing?”
I looked back at Laura and explained “someone came in here, they left the window open” Laura walked over to the window, closed it and said “it was me, this morning, it was hot in here so I opened the window, what’s wrong with you?, you have been acting strange for the past couple of days, are you okay?” I thought for a moment and replied with a shake of agreement. “I know you are not telling me the truth, every time you shake your head you lie, what’s wrong?”
I told her all about my dreams that I’ve been having for the past couple of days. Laura started to laugh so hard she had to hold her stomach to stop it from hurting, “what’s so funny?” I asked

“I’m sorry I just don’t believe you”, Laura said with a giggle in her voice “what’s so hard to believe?, its a dream, and I did have it two days in a row” I muttered while looking to the ground, “I’m going to take my shower now is that okay with you?” I asked obviously mad at her for not believing me. I grabbed my clothes from my dresser and walked into the bathroom. As I stood In the shower I noticed nothing weird was happening today, I stepped out of the shower to get dressed but slipped on the water and hit my head on the side of the sink. Laura came running in and asked if I was ok while picking me up off the ground, “I’m ok” I said while shaking my head trying to stop being dizzy so I can actually look at Laura, “lets go have breakfast”. Laura helped me up and walked me downstairs to eat, when we finished eating Laura asked “are you ok enough to have your birthday present?”, I agreed by shaking my head with a smile. Laura burst out with “good, get dressed and we will go for a walk” I was so shocked at the way she shot up out of her chair and over to the door before I could even finish what I had in my mouth. I stood up swallowed, and walked over to my jacket to put it on, “Charlie, are you excited about your gift?” “I must admit, I am a bit anxious about the whole thing, what is it anyway?”.
“That’s what your going to have to wait for, if I tell you it wont be much of a surprise would it?” “I guess so” I said disappointed she couldn’t even give me a hint. We started down the street, and turned the corner and Laura asked “ did you think about it yet?” I looked at Laura and replied “what?” “the baby, did you think about having a baby?” “no, not yet, I didn’t have enough time to even think about it”
Laura stopped and watched me like she was upset and shouted “what on earth have you been busy with?”.

“I told you already, I am trying to figure out what’s wrong with me, but you didn’t believe me when I told you this morning”. Laura didn’t say anything and kept walking “are we close to it?” I asked a little nervous about what it was she was doing, “almost” she said clearly hoping that I would like it. We walked up to this old building that was never there before, “what is it?” I asked looking over at Laura waiting for an answer. “it’s a book store” she said “I knew you liked books, and you have a lot at home, so I thought you would like more” Laura grabbed my hand and dragged me inside, and before I could even move my feet we where inside. The building was incredibly tall inside it could probably fit nine skyscrapers inside, but then again I was also being sarcastic, but it was pretty big. The store manager or it could be the owner walked over and asked if he could be of service, he was about four feet tall and looked like he was leaning over to greet someone but it was from the hump on his back, “hello, my name is Alfred but everyone calls me Sticky” Alfred greeted with the most grotesque face, like he came from some sort of horror book. “Take a look around, see if you can find anything you like” said Alfred, “don’t mind if we do” I said while walking down an isle of books. Laura ran ahead until I couldn’t see her anymore. I came across a shelf with the books covered in dust, there was one book that was named “Necromancers Tome” it seemed interesting, I picked it up and peered inside, It was written in Latin so it had to be rare.

I walked up to the counter to pay for the book, but Laura came stumbling behind me with at least four books in her hands. I took a step back, she walked up to the counter and slammed the books down, “I would like to buy these please” “Certainly” Alfred reassured while counting the amount of money Laura had to pay. “That will be twenty four ninety five, please” Alfred said with a smile on his face. I walked up to the store keeper and asked “Is this book for sale?” Alfred examined the book from top to bottom the looked up at me with the most frightening grin, and answered with a question “do you know what this book is?” “no, but I plan to find out” I said looking at Alfred thinking he might be insane. “This book is an old tome of magic, built long ago to help spell casters travel from place to place, but no one knows how they did it, some say that even…” I interrupted with a loud laugh and asked “are you just going to tell me the price already?, or do I have to just put it back?”.
Alfred looked at me angrily and said “forty dollars, and its yours” I gave the man the amount and walked out, while I was walking out I looked back and Alfred was gone, like he wasn’t there to begin with, the store was empty. Laura and I started down the street, I asked Laura “did you find that guy creepy at all, or was it only me?” Laura looked back at me and started to giggle “I liked his story it was cute”

We walked into our front door, Laura walked into the kitchen to read her books, while I sat on the couch and opened my so called “cursed” book. I opened to the first page and noticed that the whole book, not only the cover was written in Latin.