Confusion's Riddle | Teen Ink

Confusion's Riddle

By corrinena BRONZE, macungie, Pennsylvania
corrinena BRONZE, Macungie, Pennsylvania

" Adapt or die"

As Corrine and Naiomi arrived on the economy class boat approaching, the what seemed to be a quaint island, Corrine had that defensive feeling, you know, cautious. But Corrine always had that feeling right before she was about to enjoy herself with something. Corrine looked at Naiomi as she approached the railing with an excited look, that look that kids get when they see puppies, Corrine thought to herself, “ If only I could be happy about things like that.” Corrine found more interest in dead bodies, more than puppies, the science of it of course, its not like she's a necrophiliac or anything. Just after that thought the boat driver said, “ We are now at Morning Dawn Island!” Corrine then at that point, was already holding her small duffel bag. Naiomi came up to Corrine and said, “ Isn't this awesome! Let's go!” So, Naiomi and Corrine walked down the dock, and then they both thought the same thing, “ that's a big hill!” all the buildings on the hill imitated that average scene from San Francisco, except more new york city architecture wise. “ This will be interesting.” Corrine said. “ Yeah”, said Naiomi. “ I guess we better find our hotel before it gets dark.” Corrine said noticing the sunset. “ Yeah, we don't want a repeat of Germany, and getting lost again.” said Naiomi. They were in Germany because Naiomi was a historian paleontologist and she was researching the life of a bone that belonged to a brachiosaurus. Anyway, they got lost trying to find their hotel in Germany. So, they both started walking up the hill when Naiomi said, “ I'm hungry, when's dinner?” Corrine looked at her watch, “ It's only 3:00.” she said. “ Oh” Naiomi said thinking it was 5:00. As they traveled up the long hill of buildings, the locals were so friendly, saying, “ Hello!” all the time as they walked by, Naiomi thought it was a nice gesture. Corrine felt creeped out by this, no one ever said hello to her not even her brother who's a millionaire, and the most social person ever. Corrine then bumped into Naiomi, who had stopped walking to look into a widow of a Chinese restaurant. “No way!” Naiomi Exclaimed and was awestruck by what said on a sign outside the restaurant, “ 10% off Samosas.” the sign said. Naiomi had been craving this Indian dumpling ever since she was in the 8th grade, Naiomi immediately dragged Corrine into the restaurant, assuming she probably needed supervision to make sure she didn't eat the entire supply of samosas. Corrine was some what pleased and annoyed, she loved food just not right in the middle of a task. Naiomi ate her samosas, then realized their in a Chinese restaurant!Naiomi wondered why they were serving Indian food at a Chinese place. Corrine was already wondering the same thing when Naiomi asked, “ Why are they serving Indian food?!” That's entirely unorthodox.” Although Naiomi thought, its not that weird compared to the food she's had in her dreams, now those were pretty weird foods! “ I don't know why. Maybe their sponsoring an Indian restaurant that's going to open.” Corrine replied thinking as rational as possible. After their snack of weirdness they usually have anyhow later in the day, they continued up the hill, and it was then flattened out by an oray of brick buildings, and a giant cathedral like castle, somewhat like the one in Cambodia at Angkor Wat it was smack dab in the center of traffic, on its own little island square. “ wow!” Naiomi exclaimed. Stunned by its beauty. “ I'm guessing that's the university!” she said. “ Wow! It must be amazing inside!” she said. “it reminds me of a castle in those fairy tales” Corrine said. Naiomi wondered what fairy tales she read had this in it, but couldn't think of any. Corrine and Naiomi then arrived at their hotel, called, “ Morning Dawn Hotel.” “ How creative” Naiomi said sarcastically. “ Hey its still original.” said Corrine. “ I guess.” Naiomi said. When they got to their rooms, they both saw out their windows the most beautiful sunset ever by the beach. The sun's sherbert rays casted down on the soft beds and the Bordeaux as the rays slowly dimmed down to a fade of orange as the day came to a close.

When Corrine awoke form her much needed rest she heard a scream from Naiomi room. Corrine at that point was wide awake and thought to herself, “How much do I want to bet its about a bug?” Naiomi's door was open and Corrine saw Naiomi on her bed curled up like a rollipolli. And then Corrine felt something crawling on her pajama pants. Corrine looked down and saw a Costa Rican Zebra tarantula, she was fascinated by tarantulas, so she picked up the fuzzy deviant and took it down stairs outside and gently placed it on a bush near a caterpillar. When Corrine came back upstairs and Naiomi came out of her room and said, “Thank you, sorry for waking you, I really didn't mean to, its just that it was in my hair. One of Naiomi's many fears was having bugs crawling in her hair. Corrine thought to herself, “I guess this isn't the best time to tell her humans get most of their protein from eating bugs unknowingly.” Corrine then went to get ready for the day. As well as Naiomi. About 15 minutes later Naiomi came downstairs to get some breakfast, she had a craving for some cold pizza, but alas the hotel just had eggs , toast, and waffles, a very boring substitute for cold pizza. Corrine came down shortly after and said, “I'm tired of eggs.” Sometimes Corrine wondered if she was a chronically bored person, she would get tired of something pretty quick. But this didn't surprise Corrine since she was destined to have a birth error since she was born into a family that had every physical and mental problem known to man. When Corrine and Naiomi were done eating their humdrum breakfast, they went outside to go find the university again so Naiomi can start her work. But the problem was that they couldn't decide which way to go since they were so indecisive the problem wasn't they couldn't see it, the problem was they couldn't figure out how to get there. So after about 2 hours of, “ Maybe we should go this way, but what if that's the same street?” they finally began to see the front of the street the university was on. When they were just about a block away from it Corrine felt rumbling underneath her feet, a small vibration, then at that moment Corrine and Naiomi both looked up because they saw all the seagulls and other birds fly away from behind them, and Corrine and Naiomi always had a saying they live by, “ When in doubt follow the masses!” So, Corrine and Naiomi started running as fast as their legs could go without looking back, by this point Corrine and Naiomi put two and two together, rumbling ground, on an island surrounded by ocean, it was a tsunami! And by running they were ahead of the birds now. Both Corrine and Naiomi were thinking the same thing, “ Run like you're getting chased by zombies!” Corrine and Naiomi jumped over the fence of a school yard, went past the old worn out swings and monkey bars, and as they did this Corrine was trying to figure out, “ Where is the highest place we could go?” Then she thought of the light house she saw before, it was up on a cliff, so Corrine pointed to the light house and Naiomi nodded her head in agreement. But, before they could do that they had to weave in and out of alley ways and through the beach in order to get away from the massive wave. The wave was about 2 buildings away from them, Naiomi quickly had a plan she jumped up on a fire escape and began to sprint on the roofs, Corrine tried to follow but she couldn't make it in time before the wave came. Corrine was engulfed in the treacherous current of the wave. Corrine thought to herself, “ Am I going to die this way? In water? When we desperately need it to survive it kills us.” It was so silent and peaceful she thought as though there was no other world but this one, she felt at rest. Corrine then ran out of air and passed out into a deep slumber, as the wave carried her through the once beautiful town.

Naiomi felt as though she had left Corrine to die, but she knew that it wasn't her fault. Naiomi could see the light house from from afar, she was getting closer, she just had to find an efficient way to get down and go up the cliff. But by the time she was at the end of the last building's roof, she was out of time, so she did something that she would have never done in a million years, she jumped. And when she jumped, she rolled and landed on the soft grass of the slanting cliff and not the road. Naiomi sighed a breathe of, “ Thank, God.” she then ran up as fast as possible up the cliff, you would think all those years of walking long distances throughout universities would help her run up the cliff. When she got at the top, she looked behind her and saw an ocean filled with buildings and bodies, all that was left was the cliff, the light house and her. Naiomi plopped down on her knees, and just sat there looking at the rubble soup. Then she heard a slam of a door from the light house, she turned around and saw a young man with light brown hair and leaf green eyes come out. “ Are you okay?” the young man asked. “ Yeah, I guess.” Naiomi said. “ What's your name?”questioned the young man. “ Naiomi Alea.” she replied. “ My name's Chris Maxima.” he said. Naiomi propped up her head in surprise, she had heard that name before, he was the guy in the dreams Corrine talked about. The way Corrine described him was just the way he looked like now, if Corrine was right about his appearance then who knows what else is true! Then Naiomi asked him, “ You don't by any chance have a sword with you? Do you?” Chris looked at her as if she had 3 heads, then in response he said, “ Why?” Naiomi tried not to freak him out more by saying, “ Well, I know this is gonna sound crazy, but my friend had a dream about you, I think?” “ You think? You either know or you don't know.” he said bluntly. Naiomi thought to herself, “ Yep, he's definitely Corrine's type.” Corrine loved guys who never fooled around, but at the same time they were kind, and shy, and defensive. “ Okay, I know that my friend dreamed about you.” she said snarkly. “ What's your friend's name?” Chris asked. “ Corrine Maxanella” said Naiomi. “ I'm guessing you are here to take her place?” said Chris. Naiomi looked at Chris as if he just proposed to her. “ What do you mean, take her place?!” Naiomi asked utterly confused. “ As in, take her place, instead of her helping me, it's you.” explained Chris. “ Help you with what?” asked Naiomi still confused. “ Fighting off the demons with me.” he replied. “ W-What!?” said Naiomi beginning to think Chris is mentally insane. She didn't know what to think, either he was telling the truth or he needs to go to a mental institution. “ Are you crazy?!” she exclaimed. “ No, and listen, we have to get going before it happens.” he said. “ What happens? Why do you want me to fight demons, and you do realize there are none in this reality, right?!” said Naiomi freaking out. By that time Chris had on already a leather book bag and sword and was waiting for it to happen. “ That happens.” Chris pointed to the sky and Naiomi looked up and instantly dropped her jaw to see a giant Black hole, and she then realized that this wasn't reality, it was a dream, but not her's, but Corrine's dream.

Chris was fairly normal about the situation, even though there was a giant black hole in the sky. Naomi on the other hand was not particularly calm in the matter. “ What...What..is that?” “ A Black hole.” Chris said bluntly. “ I know that! But why is it here?” Naiomi asked loosing all sanity soon. “ Well you should have asked that first. It means you're about to wake up, because we stood around too long talking.” Chris was growing impatient as he said this, hoping Naiomi would realize that she needed to do something about it. Instead, Naiomi said, “ Thank goodness!”Chris was confused, “What? Why would you want to wake up?” Naiomi looked at him with a glare of a thousand killers,
“ Because! Mister I'm so cool and serious! I for one had enough of this horrible dream!” Chris had no response to this raging comment. She then realized what she had to do in order to get rid of this she had to wake up, and before Chris could stop her she ran off the cliff and fell 2 stories down. Naiomi felt a slap of the cold water against her chest, everything went black, and Naiomi thought to herself, “ Wake up, Wake up!” but nothing happened she felt cold. Her heart sunk into the pits of fears and sadness when she heard Chris's voice say, “ Get up! Quick!” Naiomi then opened her eyes Chris immediately pulled her up, and said as he began moving, “ Run!” “ What?! Why?!” Naiomi said totally confused and trying to keep up with Chris. Chris grunted and sighed, “ Come on!” and he grabbed her arm as he ran and said, “ listen, because of you we're here now!” “ What?!” Naiomi said being furious that he was blaming all this on her. “ How could this be MY fault?!” Naiomi said almost out of breath. “ Because you died! And when you die, everything changes!” he said while dodging trees and logs eaten by termites. Naiomi was still confused, “ What exactly are we running from?!” Chris did not answer, Naomi searched for the answer by looking around, and saw on top of the hill they were now running up, a fleet of what appeared to be pirate ships, like the ones in the movies, but they were flying in the air throughout the fields, as though the fields were the ocean floor, they were shooting at each other with their cannons. Naiomi was speechless; she couldn't believe it! It was like she was in Peter Pan. Chris finally said, “ We have to catch that ship up ahead!” Naiomi was going to say he was crazy, but thought about all the things that have happened up till now and thought, “ I guess he isn't that crazy.”
Chris then, while running, decided to take off his rucksack and take out a rope. He said, “ Grab the rope!” Naiomi grabbed the rope as Chris tied a knot and threw it on top of the boat, and several men on the boat noticed it and held onto the rope on the other end as Chris climbed up. Chris then told Naiomi to climb up so she did. Once she was on the floor of the ship she saw a hundred men stare blankly at her. Chris wanted to break the awkward tension so he said, “ Men! This is your new captain, her name is Naiomi!” Then they all resumed their roles as pirates. Naiomi was freaking out inside her mind, why would he say that she doesn't know how to be captain! Maybe Corrine was their captain but Naiomi couldn't be strict to people! She was barely strict to her platypus she had at home. Chris was climbing on top of the Mass, evidently he thought that Naiomi would be okay with this position. He was very wrong. Naiomi immediately climbed the Mass and started shouting at him, “ I never wanted any of this!!” But before she could continue her angry rant, one of the pirates said, “ ABANDON SHIP!!” all the pirates were panicking and jumping about 200 feet to the ground. Naiomi was about to panic herself from all this, she wondered why they were panicking so much. Chris grabbed a telescope that was lying on the floor of the mass, and looked through it and dropped it, “ Oh....My....God...” As he said this the ship went over a hill, and then Naiomi saw the cause of the panic. It was beyond something of this universe, but would scare all the demons of hell from coming to this world. It was black in the face and was as tall as the sky itself. It had 4 eyes on the sides of its head 2 on each side, but they more like holes than eyes. These holes would gush out bloody yellow stuff that looked like a liquid. It had a mouth that had a broken jaw full of giant jagged razor teeth, that would hang there from its face. Its neck was long like a bronchiosaurus, and all along the neck was something that looked like the bubonic plague, it had large boyles that pulsed with its neck as though they were alive, in some gruesome way. Its skin was rough, slimy, and rubbery to a pale used white with blood stains everywhere tattooing the beast, these stains were on the torso, in which looked like giant ribs with out the skin, with thousands of tentacle like things trying to escape the bone cage. The creature had what seemed like 4 limbs 2 in the front 2 in the back, all of which had claws as long as the average size car. Naiomi couldn't move she was paralyzed but then said one word, “ Epic.”