No Ends | Teen Ink

No Ends

January 14, 2012
By YurFutureAuthor68 BRONZE, Blair, Nebraska
More by this author
YurFutureAuthor68 BRONZE, Blair, Nebraska
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Life isn't about finding yourself, It's about creating yourself." ~Anonymous
"I'm worthy enough, beautiful enough, and I don't need anything else to feel
whole." ~Demi Lovato


Author's note: I've always had a 'secret world' of my own that I would daydream about. I would be involved with very exciting adventures, falling love, most normal teenage girls wouldn't daydream about. I wanted to share the world about what I had been seeing my entire life. Something about my adventures just told me that I should write about it, have other people live my fascinating dreams. So others as well could be inspired and motivated to do the same. Anybody can achieve their dreams, my dream just happened to be writing. :)

The author's comments:
This chapter was very important to me, after all this was the beginning to my dreams. This meant I was letting everyone look into my private thoughts. How could a writer NOT be nervous?

I laid out upon the cool grass in the field behind my home. My hands lazily brushing over the wild flowers and weeds. I could smell the sweet fragrance of the pollen, and the fresh moss laying upon the entrance of the forest that bordered our property. The trees blotted out the warm Colorado sun and created a distant canopy. My knapsack laid out also beside me with its contents spilling out. My writing book faced up towards the never ending blue sky, the pages waving at the clouds as they lazily float by.
I didn’t feel any motivation lately, which was strange because I could usually always come up with something. Today was a particular difficult day.
My fathers doctor appointment.
The doctors keep telling us its an undecided and unknown illness that he has, but presumably they believe it could be an unfound form of cancer. My father of course doesn’t believe he does. He said no one would believe the reason even if he told it. He would always tell me a new story every night before I went to bed when I was little about the adventures he went on. But one particular story was of great importance.
He went on a dangerous excavation in a deserted place somewhere in Transylvania with his partner Bradley Christofferson awhile back before I even learned how to speak properly. The story always started out the same whenever he told them. I would clutch my stuffed duck in my arms underneath the comforter and watch as my dad would animatedly start the beginning. But the more he always told me the stories the more I was starting to think that they weren’t true:

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Daddy. Do you have to tell the story about Queen Patricia again? Why can’t you read me a book or something?” I sighed and stared at him guiltily. I hated saying it, but I just wanted my father to tell me something normal for a change. His head perked up, turning his head to look at me thoughtfully.
“Why the sudden change in interest honey?” he asked a little sad.
“Because its not true,” I stopped short, regretted it immediately. His eyes softened.
“You think I’m lying to you?”
“I don’t know. Maybe. I mean, everyone you’ve told doesn’t really believe you. Duncan said that your just trying to scare me. Same with Emily,” My father looked away, seeming to be in deep thought about something.
“One day Alyxandra, you’ll find out that all of this is true,”
I bit my lip and closed my eyes.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *


I was nine years old then. And ever since then, he has never spoken a word about Queen Patricia or the necklaces to me or to the rest of the family. But try as I might, I could never get the story out of my head. I knew every single detail as if I had been there with my father the day it supposedly happened. I flopped my arm over my eyes to blot out the sun and sighed. What was I supposed to do? Believe him? He is my father after all, and he needs me now more then ever. But how can you just believe something that has no evidence? I have never even seen the necklaces in my lifetime, and yet my father claims that he still has them. And IF they did have such an infinite amount of power to them, why doesn’t he use it to save himself?
To save us by saving himself?
All these questions have floated in and out of my mind ever since he got sicker and sicker. I sat up and ran a hand through my hair, the scent of strawberries and watermelon, from my shampoo, wafted around my head as I moved the hair back. I’ve done entirely too much thinking obviously.
I stood up and gathered all of my things into my knapsack and made my way through my field and to the back porch. My black lab greeted me with an animated wag of his tail.
“Good boy Jericho,” I patted his head a few times and walked through the back door, Jericho following in behind me, eager to get out of the hot Colorado sun.
I made my way through the kitchen and towards the open hallway to the stairs.
“Alyx?” called a voice.
“Yeah mom?”
“I was just wondering if it was you. How did writing go?”
“Eh. Couldn’t think of much today,”
“It happens. We’ll be leaving soon okay?”
“Okay,” I sighed and walked up the stairs, smoothing out my white spring dress out of nervousness. I hated seeing my dad at the hospital.
I walked down to the end of the hall and walked into my room on the left. My white door had my name and a picture of a rose carved into the wood. I always brush my fingers across it whenever I enter my room.
It was always for more hope.
I dropped my knapsack on the top of my queen sized bed with the sheets messily unmade. I took off my dress and slid on a pair of dark washed shorts and a large black shirt with the London flag imprinted on the front, and the left sleeve hanging off my shoulder. I grabbed the hair tie that was laying on my wrist and tied my hair up into a pony tail. I then slid on my gladiator shoes and walked out of my room.
“Are you ready beauty queen?” my older brother Duncan joked. He hugged me from behind and twirled me back around so that he could go down the stairs first. I laughed and pushed him.
“Your just jealous ‘cause I’m the pretty one in the family,” I grinned evilly and sprinted down the stairs after him.
Duncan laughed and ran a hand through his short, dark auburn hair.
“I think I’m the hot one.”
“Don’t be so confident in that statement D!” I laughed.
“Take it easy. Your going to scuff my floors,” my mom cut in. She grabbed me gently by the shoulders and stopped me.
“Mom, are we leaving now?” I asked. She nodded and grabbed her purse.
“Emily!” she shouted up the stairs.
“Coming mom!” answered my sister. I could hear footsteps up above my head as my sister moved around upstairs, grabbing whatever she needed before we had to leave.
“Emily!” I yelled, “Hurry up!”

Just then my sister came running down the stairs, her black hair draped down her back in thick curls. Her green eyes sparkling in annoyance. She’s always looked more like our mom, with her thin face and round eyes. Duncan and I looked more like our dad, with round faces and oval eyes. I was always the short one in the family, even though my sister didn’t beat me too much in that department either. My father who is part Italian, of course passed on his traits to us. We have the general Italian hair and eyes. ‘But our mothers American qualities,’ my grandma had always said.
“Are you done yelling?” she said in an annoyed voice.
“Yup,” I replied with a grin. My sister rolled her eyes in response.
“Let’s go already,” Duncan cut in and pushed Emily out the door. She automatically reached for her cell phone and started texting. I rolled my eyes and shut the front door behind us.
We all piled into our green Range Rover and started towards the highway.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

When we finally got to the Saint Brethren hospital, it was very quiet as the summer breeze danced around our heads. We always hated going to visit in the hospital, we just wanted him to come home and wake up the next day to find this all to be a bad dream.
We walked through the automatic doors and were instantly greeted by the smell of antibacterial soap and disinfectant spray.
It smelled way too clean.
It was always the same. The obvious health conscious nurses waddling past us in a frenzy as if they were a school of fish, and we were the sharks. Once we made our way through the everlasting hallway, we make it to the front desk. A large woman with half moon spectacles sneered down at us. It was one of those moments where everything began to grow, and we all shrunk down to the size of mice. Almost in a cartoon manner if you would say.
“May I help you?” she asked with a gruff tone, obviously annoyed at us visitors.
“Yes we’re visiting Victor Martina.” my mother said softly. If the large nurse hadn’t of been listening so intently like a vulture she probably would of never heard my mom speak in the first place.
“Ah, yes. Victor. He’s in room 60B. Upstairs. Fifth floor.” she said loudly, and turned her attention to her computer screen.
“Oh, ugh. Thank you.” my mom murmured. She cocked her head to the right in signal for us to move.
My family and I made our way to the elevators, Duncan jogged ahead to press the upward arrow button. We all filed in and let out a breath. We always felt so awkward visiting dad in the hospital.
“I hope one of the nurses gave your father his pain medication. He gets so cranky when they don’t.” my mom murmured under her breath. Emily rested a hand on her shoulder.
“Mom. He will be fine.”
“I know. I just want to make sure he’s comfortable though.” she nodded and nervously bit a fingernail, staring up at the digital screen as it began counting up.
2.
My mom grabbed at her sleeves like a little kid who was about to go on a roller coaster for the first time.
3.

“What are we going to have for dinner mom?” my brother said, trying to make small talk. Emily nudged him in the ribs.
“Oh, I was thinking steak. You can grill, I’ll cook the rest of the meal. Sound good?” she said a little more relaxed. Small talk always seemed to take her mind off the present. Duncan was good at distracting people.
5.
The elevator groaned to a rough stop before fully halting and allowing the doors to open. We walked out of the elevator and began our way down the hallway, counting the signs on the doors as we did so.
Strangely, I felt a pair of eyes on me. I slowed to a stop and turned my head around. At the last, split second I swear I saw somebody sprint back into the elevator..
“Alyxandra?” my mom called, snapping me back into reality. I blinked twice and turned back to see my brother, sister, and mom all staring at me with a curious expression on their face. “What is it?” she asked.
“I thought I saw. Nevermind.” I finalized and shook my head, trying to erase the memory. It couldn’t of been anything I’m sure. It’s just the fact of being in the hospital making me all crazy. I rejoined my family and walked to the room 60B. Emily pushed open the door and immediately set her purse down on the nearest chair. We all filed in and was instantly greeted by my other brother JJ.
“Took you guys long enough,” he said gruffly. “Dad’s been complaining about how they won’t let him read.”
I gave JJ a hug and looked over towards the bed.
Dad who has always been tan and strong from working outside is now pale and rather thin and gangly. Its almost like he’s a stranger now.
“Hi daddy.” Emily greeted first. She walked over and bent down to give him a hug and peck on the cheek. He smiles weakly and chuckles.
“Hi sweetheart.”
“How are you feeling?”
“Would be better if they would just let a man read a damn book.” he mutters.
“Darling, you know its bad on your eyes.” my mom cooed.
“That’s why I have glasses. I am thirty-seven years old. I think I can read a book without them thinking it will give me crazy ideas like I’m a nine year old.” he growled. An exasperated laugh fills the room.
“Hey dad.” I say softly and walk over. He gives me a weak smile.
“Hey sunshine. How has your writing been going?” he asks me. I smiled softly and give him a peck on the cheek.
“Eh, miserable. Can’t think of a single thing.”
“Writer’s block sucks doesn’t it?” he jokes. I nod in response.
We all say our greetings and sit down. We all talk about the weather and new movies that have been coming out. My dad is such a movie fanatic. Give him a title of a movie and he is bound to give you a quote from it. My mom then gives him the update on all our activities and upcoming events, and also lets him know about grandma coming down to visit in the fall.
“She doesn’t need to overexert herself just to see me.” my dad complains.
“Sweetheart. She insisted. You know how stubborn that woman is.” my mom responds. Once we start talking about normal things, the awkwardness melts away. It’s almost as if everything is back to normal.
Almost.

I look around the room and find nothing but bareness. Its always freezing in the room so I clutch the sweater I had brought with me tighter around me. I look out the door and see nurses scrabbling around in a rush as if the world is ending. Then in the distance of the hallway I see a figure standing in the very middle, a hood erasing its features. The nurses oblivious to it. I squint and realize I am slowly lifting myself out of my chair.
“Alyx?” a voice asked. I snap my head to the right and see my family staring at me once again in curiosity. “Alyxandra what has gotten into you?” my mother asked again.
“I. I thought I saw someone I knew that’s all.” I explain. I could feel the blood rush to my face. I must of looked like a total crazy person. I look at my dad and see him staring at me with an expression of utter understanding. He nods once and smiles softly. Did he see the figure too? Or was it just in my imagination?


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We arrived home later that evening, reluctantly leaving my father at St. Brethren. I marched up the stairs and flopped down on my bed. The springs squeaking at my sudden weight. Sighing I sat back up and reached for my writing book. I flipped open to a new, clean page. I grabbed my favorite wood pencil off of my desk nearby and wrote. The wonderful sound of the scribbling of lead onto paper filled the silence in my room.

The world is at a standstill
Delightful eyes gaze upon the stars
Lips so tender kiss the rain
Feet so forlorn that walk across the dunes in somber unity

Feeling a certain contentment, I closed the book shut and laid my head down onto my feather pillow. Looking out the window beside my bed I had a clear view of the forest. The sun was darkening its features, but I could still make out the faint shape of the entrance. The cool summer evening breeze sifted through the bottom half of the open window, causing my gossamer curtains to dance around in the air. I stood up and walked over to my window seat, closing the opening. As I did so, I saw a faint shadow walk towards the forest. The same figure that was in the hallway earlier today in the hospital. I reopen the window and stick my head out, trying to get a better view. Squinting, I lean outside farther, hoping not to fall off the roof in the process. The figure stops, and I can see by the slight movement, it had turned to look up at me. Obviously knowing I am there. My breath caught in my throat. Who is that? I quickly pull myself back inside and shut the window, locking it. After drawing the curtains I make my way back to my bed and sit down. I swallow but fail at the attempt. Laying down again, trying to relax I close my eyes. I can hear my heart beat in my ears.
Whoever it was, I didn’t want to meet it.
I wasn’t about to become one of those cheesy horror film actresses who look behind the door to find the killer, only to be stabbed. I didn’t want my movie to end just yet.
After fifteen minutes of calming breathing, I slowly became drowsy. Standing up and changing into a pair of colorful softball shorts and a black tank top, I look at the clock.

12:46 am.
I yawn and move everything off my bed. Crawling underneath the covers, I try not to think of the figure as I close my eyes and slowly drift off to sleep.

I woke up with a jolt. The strange feeling of paranoia washed over me like a tidal wave.
The feeling of being watched.
I exhaled and ran a hand through my hair. It was all so strange, and yet adrenaline washed through my veins as I recounted the figure. Who was it? Or better question, what was it? I threw the covers off of me and walked over to my window. Opening the tall windows I felt the early summer breeze, warm and stuffy on my skin in an instant. I exhaled and closed my eyes. The warmth of the sun felt wonderful on my face.
Suddenly I felt an empty, almost hollow sort of emotion in my heart. It was almost as if something was missing in my life. Why that matter would suddenly flood my thoughts is unknown, but the feeling overcame my senses like a tidal wave, crashing into me. It was like as I stood there, the sun gazing down upon my flesh, and I breathe in the sweet fragrances of the dew on the grass and the pollen which filled the air, everything seemed to come into perspective. I was indeed physically alive, but was I registered as actually living? The figure that had appeared almost had shown to be an omen. Whether it was an omen of retribution or a simple sign of danger. But it enticed me, putting me in this trance like state. Perhaps it was my interest in writing, everything mysterious or unknowing as fantasy was my craving, so maybe this figure was my key to that perfection. But what if it was my downfall? I could be placing myself into such a devastating situation that I would regret for the rest of my life; mainly because I would be putting my family in that situation. This figure could turn out to be some stalker molester man, and it was because of my lack of judgment, and my stubbornness of staying in the fantasy world that caused my own premature demise. I opened my eyes and looked out, taking a moment for my eyes to adjust to the light that poured through my eyelids, I looked down at the grassy field behind my home.
The wildflowers waved around in greeting, which made me smile. I squinted and saw the indention in the grass where I usually lay, the dent permanent. My eyes scouted the surrounding area and found no trace of the figure. Maybe he didn’t come out during the day? A picture of a classic vampire flashed through my head, but it would of burned up. I reached over towards my nightstand and grabbed a hair tie, tying my hair into a ponytail I felt more relaxed as I let a few strands fall into my face. I made my way downstairs to meet my family, hopefully they would pull me back into reality. As if right on cue, Duncan strolled into the hallway with a smile.
“Mornin’ sunshine.” He greeted and knocked into me, nearly causing me to fall over. I giggled and tucked a loose strand behind my ear.
“Mom?” I called.
“In here sweetheart.” replied a light voice. I followed the voice into the kitchen and saw my mom leaning over the counter, a hand on her belly and the other keeping herself upright.
“You okay?” I ask, a little worried.
“Of course. The baby is just kicking. A lot.” She said a little breathless. A smile stretched across my face. I remember dad’s indistinct chatter talking about our new baby sister or brother. My mom was at least thirty-two weeks along, and approaching fast with the due date. She’s going to need all of us to help her with the new baby, especially since the state my dad is in.
After I ate breakfast with my mom, I walked back up to my bedroom only to find my brother JJ sitting on my bed with my writing book in his hands.
“Um, excuse me!” I bellowed, making him jump and drop the book onto the floor. He looked up at me with a surprised expression.
“Geez, you scared me sis.” He said nonchalantly.
“J, did I ever say you could read my poetry?” I said blackly. His shoulders lifted and fell in response. I walked over and snatched the book off the floor.
“Get out,” I demanded and pointed to the door. He didn’t move. “What?” I hissed. He just stared at me. I sighed loudly and grabbed his wrists, yanking him up.
“Easy there,” He mumbled and got up. “Alright, alright. You know enough people at school ask me about you. They think you’re a freak you know. They said they have read some of your poetry when you weren’t looking and well, I thought that from what I’ve heard maybe I should get a gander myself.”
“A ‘gander’? Awesome, it makes me glad to know that the other people at school think of me as a freak. You’ve lifted my spirits to the highest point Josh.” I growled and shoved him out the door.
“Oh come on Alyx, I didn’t mean it like that.” He sighed and combed a hand through his hair.
“What’s going on?” asked Emily as she came around the corner. She gave Josh a look and turned her gaze towards me for an answer. My eyes narrowed in response. “He touched your precious writing book didn’t he.” She stated. Emily knew first hand that you don’t touch my book without asking. I was very obsessive about it. I kept pretty much everything a secret through that book. My whole life is in it. Why would I want other people knowing my darkest secrets? My secret dreamlands that were too complex and vast for other people to possibly understand their meaning? My life revolved around my work. I live to write, and yet, my parents have made a point by explaining that why write and make a career out of it, if I loathe the thought of other eyes trespassing into my personal thoughts?
“It’s not a big deal alright? Just go away.” I mumbled and attempted to stare down my sister. Her facial expression didn’t change, but something in her eyes gave me the impression that she cared.
“Whatever. Was just curious about what my little sister did all the time. I mean you hardly ever go out with us to Crickwood. We don’t want you to become a hermit. Those are the type of people you need to look out for.” JJ said. I gave him an amused smile and shook my head.
“JJ, nothing is wrong. It’s just who I am as a person. It’s a personal thing,” I replied and reached up to mess with his hair. He grinned and poked me gently in the ribs.
“Later.” He stated and walked across the hall, to his room. As soon as he shut his door, music from his guitar flowed out from behind the barriers of the walls.

“People do think you are a freak though Alyx.” My sister cut in.
She’s such a charming person.
I turn my gaze to look at her. Her green eyes were narrowed, almost snakelike, to bore into my body. She models part time for extra money, but she has a steady job at the nearby Hooters. My sister and I are pretty much polar opposites. There was a time when we actually ‘liked’ each other, rather than just tolerate each other’s presences. Once upon a time, we actually were inseparable. But that was a long time ago, back when the only thing you needed in common with your sister were Barbie dolls.
“Gee, thank you Emily for being such a fantastic sister. You know you should probably win an award.” I said sarcastically. She rolled her eyes in response, not amused.
“Just shut up and listen Alyx, you literally are a freak. I’m worried that you may not have any friends at all at this point if all you do is believe in stupid fairy tales.” Emily went on.
“I have friends!” I argued and glared at her. She was such a brat, always putting me down. She has the emotional range of a teaspoon.
“You call those friends? They’re just as equally strange.” She said as an eyebrow lifted up in astonishment. I rolled my eyes and shut the door in her face. I voluntarily fell onto my bed and stared out of my window. Was I really that strange? I know I drift off a lot into my own world but was I really that in the clouds? My friends never really complained. Of course they were usually too busy with their daily gossip than to include me. The day was dragging on as I laid there. I felt almost as if I were trapped. I was in a position where I had two paths. One was everything I ever wanted; to escape into that dreamland because I’ve always felt out of step. And two, live a dreary, uneventful life. Yes I have felt like a freak, I’ve never been normal. But I am okay with that. Other people have never understood that.
Not even my own family.
Except my dad of course, but he’s seen things that you could never dream of. And yet, his passion was never judged or questioned. He has plenty of friends. His closest is a man named Bradley Christofferson. Bradley is not married and has no kids of his own, but he’s always been ready to follow my dad wherever he wished. He’s a tall, thin man, who has a nasty habit of saying things at the most inappropriate of times. Bradley and my dad recently went on an excavation in a small town in Britain. Ruins of an old castle which held the myth of the necklaces were their current obsession. The story was somewhat hazy, but the passionate story telling that my father had done left my head filled with magic and possibilities. The rest of my family of course didn’t believe him, but in my heart I’ve always wanted to be proved right. That things such as witches and magic were real.
I ran a hand through my hair and breathed a loud, drawn out breath. The warm breeze from outside seeped in through the glass doors of my window. I looked out towards the trees. My breath caught in my throat.
The figure was standing motionless, staring at me from the border of the trees.
I felt the blood vanish from my face. I have not been imagining this! I sat up and looked down at the figure. Ever so slowly, the figure raised a hand up and motioned for me to follow it. Curiously, the figure was not human. It couldn’t be, because it did not cast any shadow onto the ground as it stood in direct sunlight. I felt a shutter crawl up my spine. I rubbed my eyes and looked down again.
The figure vanished.
Fear struck my heart like a blade. I sat back and stared at my wall across my bedroom. Shaking my head I stood up and walked over to a door. Pulling the door open I was greeted by a stuffy breeze. There wasn’t much ventilation up here but it was worth the view. In front of me stood a metal spiral staircase, which had vines and flowers imbued onto the railings and banisters. Closing the door behind me, I made my way up to my secret tower.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 2 comments.


staffy GOLD said...
on Feb. 11 2012 at 6:14 pm
staffy GOLD, Courtice, Other
19 articles 3 photos 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
you were born a origianl. don't die a copy.-jason mason
i am beautiful for god makes no mistake.-Lady GaGa

really good so far :)

Lacie101 said...
on Jan. 20 2012 at 7:26 pm
not bad. i like it! write more please i want to see what happens next