War of the Elements | Teen Ink

War of the Elements

By Knightingale BRONZE, Green Bay, Wisconsin
Knightingale BRONZE, Green Bay, Wisconsin

Being a writer is like showing your but to the world
"fairy tail's Jet"

Violent waves crashed against the ship, making it sway back and forth. Thunder boomed through the air while the lightning lit the ocean, revealing the long tentacles of a sea monster as it sinks back to the ocean floor. It seemed like any second the giant ship would be torn apart and the crew along with its captain lost in the ocean forever, never to see their families or love ones again.

As everyone prepared for the ship to sink the captain, Jack Lonefel, looked out to the black ocean hoping that maybe by some odd chance they would find land. Jack had never sailed these parts, hell he didn’t even know where they were, and the chance that they would find land was slim to none but still he looked. Another flash of lightning overhead showed a promising sign that there was land up a head. Joy welled in the captain’s chest but right when he thought they were through this ordeal the ship gave way, sending his men and him into the ocean.

Jack to his surprise woke up on shore to find that only a few of his crew members and him had survived. Out of a crew of 109 only 7 had made it to shore. Knowing that he was still captain and had to take charge he took the shaken, battered men and searched the Island for a sign of life or food. Finding no signs of civilization and that food on the island was scarce they tried to find shelter from the passing storm.

Days passed by agonizingly slow, 3 of the weaker men had already died of starvation and the rest of the crew was in bad shape. They all thought it would be the end for them so they shared stories of home and love ones hoping that death would stay away until their stories where known. Night fell and the sound of howls and screeches filled the air giving the men shivers. Trying to ignore the sounds the men went to what they thought was their last slumber.
Sometime in the middle of the night a loud growling sound woke the men up with a fright. They opened their heavy eyes to find 4 giant Beasts fully surrounded them. The Beasts did not try to attack but instead they offered to make a deal with the remaining crew. They told the men that they were sealed in the island and had to make contracts with humans to leave. They said that if they took on the powers of one of the Beasts and get them off the island they in turn would help them see their love ones again.

Desperate and afraid the men readily agreed to the deal not caring of the consequences that lie ahead. The Beasts quickly took over the famished men placing their symbols on them which sealed there contract. With that the Beast showed them places to find food, decent shelter and where to find the materials to build a new boat. They all pitched in to create the new boat and it seemed as though the Beast were now their friends. Once it was complete they set sail, to home and to disaster.

When they reached land they were welcomed lovingly by their families and friends. It seemed as if nothing had every happened, the men went back to their everyday lives and never stepped foot on a boat again. But soon the Beasts became restless and wanted to stir things up. They possessed the men’s bodies and went on a mass killing spree.
Mortal weapons were no match for their powers. It seemed like nothing would stop them but suddenly something made the Beast come out of the men’s bodies. As if their bodies had rejected the sinfulness of the creators. The men faced each of their Beasts, knowing their only weaknesses, and they fought. But by the end of the night the Beasts had killed every last one.
Forgetting that the only thing that let them walk on mortal land was the contracts they had with the men. As soon as the last breath left the last man the Beasts slowly started to die in a horribly painful way. Knowing that they were dying and the only way to preserve their powers was by splitting them they transferred them into animals.

In turn these animals took on demon like characteristics and did the same as the original Beasts. They found humans and made contracts with them, it’s said if you encounter one of the humans that has agreed to the contract they’ll have a tattoo like mark somewhere on their body. Most of these contracts are with the lower level demons called Lessers, but if the mark is colored then it’s one of the great Elements.

“That’s just a story, right, momma.” The older woman shut the book in her lap and looked down at the sleepy little girl curled up next to her. “Of course dear, there’s no such thing as demons, now you promised if I read you the book you’d be a good girl and go to bed.” The little girl sat up now seeming wide awake. “But I’m not tiered.” She pouted, crossing her arms a crossed her chest.

“At least go put on pajamas,” The mother said with a sigh knowing how stubborn her daughter was. Right then there was a harsh knock on the door. The mother got up quickly to get the it but the person on the other end had kicked it down. The mother froze recognizing the tattoo on the man’s face. Before she could tell her daughter to run the man took a step closer making the mark on his face turn from black to a chocolate brown color.

The mother took a step back as the man took another step towards her pulling an ax from somewhere near him. Behind him there was a bull like creator that stud on two legs, the mother knew instantly that it was the earth Element. As the mother turned to grab a kitchen knife the man took the ax and swung. The first hit her in the arm the final blow was to the back of her skull and back leaving her to fall to the floor in a pill of blood. Then he spotted the child as he took a step toward her he asked. “What should we do with the child, Akamu?”

The child sat on the bed shaking, frozen in fear, just staring at the bloody corpse on the floor. “Leave her,” The harsh voice said. “I will come back to kill her when she’s worth killing, plus it will be fun to play a nice game of cat and mouse with the girl.” The bull came a crossed the room and looked her dead in the eye. “Remember this night well little one, let your fear, hate and sorrow consume you and make you stronger. Then come and find me.” He gave an evil smile one that chilled the little girl to her bones. Without saying any more the man and bull walked out.

The girl shook so hard that her teeth clattered. She looked at her mother’s life less, bloody body and tears falling down her face, she felt alone. For what seemed like hours she sat there shaking and when she finally got the courage to move closer to the floor by her mom, she curling up in a ball near her. She said they weren’t real she said it was a story the girl thought.

As the night went on something appeared in the door way. It was a small white tiger with white blue eyes. It came up to the girl and examined her. “You seem to be in a good enough condition, little girl.” The voice wasn’t as harsh as the bull but she knew that he was the same thing as him, an Element. “I would like you to become my contractor.”

The girl couldn’t speak she just shook her head. “I will only ask nicely once.” The tiger bearded his teeth and grew larger. Now towering over the girl she backed up even more into the wall. Realizing that he had frightened the girl he picked her up by the shirt with his teeth and carried her way. At first the girl struggled but she eventually stopped and climbed on the tigers back, she quickly fell asleep in the tiger’s soft fur. Now feeling safe with the tiger and knowing he wouldn’t hurt her.

Later that night the girl woke up in a dark, wet cave with a little fire going right next to her. She looked down at her ripped clothes and noticed a mark that faded into an arrangement of blues going from the top of her thigh to the side of her chest and part of her upper arm on her right side. She studied the mark for a while until something in the corner of the cave started to move.

She had been in such a daze that she didn’t notice the tiger lying in the corner watching her with curious eyes. She looked at him with a new sudden burst of courage. “I would like to make a contract with you.” She said puffing up her chest trying to appear older and stronger. “I was hoping you’d say that, I already put my symbol on you in you sleep.”

The tiger crossed the cave in three giant steps. “They call me Neve the tiger of ice, I am one of the great Elements.” He looked down at her with a questionable stair waiting to see her reaction. He expected her to be afraid again but instead the girl only giggled. “Neve sounds like a girl name.” She laughed harder after seeing the tiger’s stunned reaction. “Azure, that’s what my dad named me before he died.” She said when she had finished laughing at Neve.

“Azure, what a pretty name if I’m not mistaken it means blue, right?” She nodded. “So Azure, how old are you.” She announced strongly. “I’m 6 years old.” The tiger was in shock. “Such a young age to lose your family.” He said sympathetically. “Neve, are you my family now?” He rapped himself around her for warmth.
“Of course we are you’re my Summoner that means I’ll protect you no matter what. Now it’s been a long day so why don’t you go to sleep.” The little girl snuggled into the tiger’s fur. “Goodnight Neve.” He looked down at the girl. “Goodnight.” She fell asleep instantly.

12 years later on the island of Locan’s capital city Neava.
“Neve, can we please stop at a hotel or even an inn.” I wined to the snow white tiger beside me. “How many times do I have to explain to you, Azure, we can’t stay in one place to long. Akamu is already on our trail and for all we know he could be right in this city waiting for us.”

I let out a sigh of frustration and kept walking. It’s been at least 5 months since I was able to sleep in a normal bed, not to mention the last time I was able to take a descent shower. Ever since the earth spirit, Akamu, made his presence known last year and that he was out to get me Neve never stops anywhere anymore. “Remember that.”

“Hmm?” Neve growled deep in his throat with irrational. “You weren’t listening to a thing I said, were you.” I smiled. “Nope, not a thing maybe if I had a good night’s sleep for once I wouldn’t have a short attention span.” His fur bristle and he turned his head away from me. “Fine if you have such a death wish stop at an inn but only for today.” I hugged him. “Thank you Neve.” Before he could change his mind I was off to the nearest inn.

Instead of going to the nearest in we walked another two hours to ended up in the inn on the out skirts of town because Neve said it was safer. Either way, there was a bed and a shower that was good enough for me. When I walked in to the room it was small but when I saw the bed and the bathroom I forgot all about the room’s size.
I quickly ran to the bathroom and took, what seemed like an hour and a half long, shower. When I stepped out Neve had gotten me a new pair of clothes that I changed into and right when I was going to lay on the soft looking bed there was a commotion coming from down the hall. I debated whether I should look or not but curiosity got to me.

So against my better judgment I opened my door only to find a boy and a red fox running right towards me. Before I could even think to shut the door the boy had slammed me into the room and shut the door. Out of breath he peered through the peak hole and held a figure to his lip, making a sign that I should be quiet. I could hear loud banging from outside but the boy relaxed against the door in relief.

“Thank you, you really saved us back there.” He said with a smile. Just then Neve came in through the window in a rush. “There’s two Elements here we have to go right now.” Just as he was about to turn out the window he noticed the boy and the fox. Neve gave a panicked look gave me a once over to make sure I wasn’t hurt and then turned to the boy and fox. His face went from on edge to surprise as the fox stepped forward. “Kennet is that really you.” Neve took a step forward the fox perked up instantly. “Neve I thought that was you, it’s been years since I’ve seen you last.”

Just then their happy reunion was interrupted by the voice from out side. “He has to be in this room, it’s they only one left.” The door started to shake. “Just kick it down.” Without thinking I grabbed the boy by the hand and started to run. Even though we were at the window in the matter of seconds they had already broke down the door. I froze in place at the sight of the girl she had a murderous look on her face. At that moment I thought who the hell was this boy and what had he done to make her look like that? I was torn from the millions of thoughts going through my head when the boy tugged on my hand sending me out the window.

Neve and the fox followed shortly and we were off, the boy never letting go of my hand. We finally stopped at a cave on the side of one of the mountain bases. Everyone was out of breath and we all collapsed on to the damp, cool ground. For the first time I noticed the boys physical appearance. He was wearing baggy jeans and a zip up black hoodie with a white tank top on underneath. His dark brown hair was all messed up from running and his green eyes had a small ring of red around the pupil.

As I was staring at him I didn’t notice that he was looking at me until I meet his eyes, I felt my face flush a little but I kept starring into his eyes. “Is there something on me?” He asked coolly with a cocky smile on this face never taking his eyes off mine. I quickly turned my head away suddenly embarrassed. “No, it’s nothing.” I mumbled as I walked to the corner of the cave and sat down.

“So Kent, you want to explain why that Summoner was chasing you back there?” The fox laid down lazily on a flat rock by Neve. “She was sent to kill us by Akamu.” Neve stiffened at the sound of his name. “What is he after? What will he gain by killing his own kind?” Neve mumbled. “He wants all of us on his side or dead in a grave so he can take over this world.”

“Well he’s going to have to try harder to kill us isn’t he Kent.” The fox raised his head and growled. “Don’t get cocky about this boy, we were lucky this time.” All he did was smile. “Yes Kent.” He said sarcastically with that grin of his. I had already got he’s personality down cool and cocky a deadly combination for anyone in his situation to have.

“He’s not someone to take lightly, kid, and if you do you’re a bigger fool then I first made you out to be.” The boys smile left his face instantly and his cheeks turned red. “By the way I don’t think I’ve ever learned you name.” Kennet said to me. Before I could even speak Neve had already started, that tiger sure loved to talk. “This is Azure, my contractor, Azure this is my old friend Kennet. He’s the fire Element,” He stopped and looked at the boy waiting for him to speak. “Oh right I’m Aidan,” He gave Neve a sarcastic smile. “Nice to meet you.”

With the tension growing more and more and the silence bearing down on me I finally had to leave. “I’m going to go out and get some food and water I’ll be back.” I started to stand up but Aidan was already on his feet. “I’ll go with you.”
“No,” It came so quickly out of my mouth that I didn’t have time to think if he should come with or not. My little outburst made him raised an eyebrow questionably at me like I was going to change my mind. I was feeling stubborn today and I really wanted to be a lone. “I mean no when I say no.” I turned on my heels and walked out feeling confident.

I walked for an hour or so along the edge of the mountain just thinking how messed up my life was. When I notice it had gotten dark and I had no food or water to show for all my wondering. I quickly ran to the edge of a nearby lake on the flat part of the mountain hoping it would have fish in it. I was so glad I was right. I waited for the right opportunity to catch on of the giant fish that lives there as the swam by me. After years of wondering with Neve I’ve learned many skills this being one of them.

I waited and waited till finally I found one big enough to feed the 4 of us I quickly reached down and garbed it like it was nothing more than a feather floating on the water. With the fish in hand and water in my container I had brought with I quickly walked back to the cave hoping Neve wouldn’t be to mad at me for taking so long.

By the time I got back the tension in the cave was probably ten times worst and I hated it. “Umm I brought fish hope everyone likes it.” Everyone’s eyes turned on me like a pack of wolves looking at meat, and then they saw the giant fish slung on my back. “Wow you can carry something like that like it’s no big deal.” Kent said obviously impressed Neve on the other hand looked proud. “About time I’m starving.” Aidan quickly graded the fish from me and in hailed deeply when he blow out fire came out almost hitting Neve.

“Dig in, it should be cooked enough.” Aidan bit in to it like it was a piece of chicken. “Hey don’t do that you need to cut it first.” Neve slashed it with his claws into 4 pieces. Now that everyone was eating the tension faded a little.

Once ever ones stomachs were full we all started to calm down and do our own thing. Aidan had started a small for me and him to sit next while we listen to Neve and Kent’s stories of when they were younger. Turns out Neve and Kent went way back and had been best friends since they were born. We listened to how much trouble they’d get in to and there first Summoners.

As they talked my eyes slowly started to shut. Trying to fight back sleep was never a good thing because 9 times out of ten sleep won. As I drifted off to sleep I felt something warm under my cheek and that was it I was done.

She had fallen asleep hours ago; probably warn out from everything that had happen. Her head rested on my shoulder warming my whole left side which was a welcomed feeling considering how cold it was even with the fire going.

As she slept I noticed her long hair was a wavy black mess and when you looked at it right it had a tint of blue. A black tee clung to her pale skin making her look like she was made out of porcelain. I thought to myself how fragile she looked I couldn’t imagine her having to fight or ever being in a fight. She shivered against me bringing out of my thoughts. What the hell was I doing I don’t have time to worry about a girl not with the upcoming war.
I looked back down at her as she clung on to me looking helpless I couldn’t just do nothing so I looking around the cave for her bag. Spotting it across the cave I gentle laid her on the ground. Walking past the two elements who were still talking, I grabbed the bag and opened it up to reveal a blanket from the inn stuffed in there. A grin crossed my face and I tried to fight the erg to laugh. She wasn’t as innocent as she looked.
I grabbed the blanket and hurried back to where I had left her. She was shivering twice as bad now so I rapped the blanket around her and lay beside her. She had stopped shivering and was now sound asleep again, I started to get lost deep in thought again when before I know it I was asleep.
Sometime just before dawn I was woken up by Kennet. He gave me a look which meant to keep quiet and to follow him. I quickly followed him outside the cave and around the corner where we were out of ear shot. Kent’s face looked grim as he faced me.
“Aidan I want you to listen carefully I think Neve and Azure are on Akamu’s side.” His face was serious. “Kennet, why would you think that?” I was shocked, I mean they seemed like they were close friends. “Look I’m just saying that I think it was a little to convenient that when we were being chased we just happened to run into my closest friend, who might I add, has never had a contractor in his life.”
“If what you think is true then what do you want to do about it?” Kennet turned his back on me. “We kill them.” He said it so quietly that I thought I miss heard him. “Kill them, that’s your friend and you just want to kill him.” He looked at me with such sad eyes. “Under stud I’ll go take care of them now.”
I started to walk towards the cave when Kent blocked me. “Not yet I want to spend some time with Neve before I have to kill him. I know it’s risky if they are who I think they are but just please, wait.” I nodded knowing how hard this was going to be on him. “I’ll wait but remember the longer you wait the harder it’s going to be on you.”
Kent smiled sadly. “Now when did you get wise?” I smiled. “When I was forced to grow up.” I walked back to the cave and looked at Azure sleeping soundly where I left her. I lifted the blanket up and lay down beside her once again. Just when I was about to close my eyes she rolled over and rest her head on my chest I rapped my arm around her and fell asleep hoping I’d wake up and no of this had ever happened.

I woke up in a sleepy daze expecting the cold of the cave to have chilled my body. Instead I was coved by my blanket I had taken from the inn and I was resting my head on something warm. When I listened I could hear a heartbeat and I thought I had fallen asleep on Neve until I hear a deep voice rumble against my ear. “Good morning.” I looked up to see Aidan staring down on me with that cocky little grin on his face. “Sleep well?” I nearly jumped out of my skin I was quickly against the cave wall looking at him.

I noticed his shirt was off and I felt my face get warm. He pulled himself up so he was resting on his elbows. “I don’t know why you’re being so shy; I mean you’re the one who slept on me last night not the other way around.” My face grew hotter and weather it was from embarrassment or anger I couldn’t tell. His smile grew as I glared at him and in that instants I know I was angry.
“Whoa now no need to get angry I’m a hard guy for girls to keep their hands off of.” I slapped him hard across the face sending him into the wall where Kennet and Neve were sleeping. The sound echoed throughout the empty cave walls. Aidan pulled himself up looking completely shocked, his face like an open book, he was stunned that not only had a girl half his size send him flying but the fact that I even hit him. And that set the mood for the day though Neve and Kennet had found it funny that Aidan was pouting like a child as we cleaned up the cave, leaving no trace that we were there.

We had to move from the cave so that the other elements wouldn’t find us, which was a normal routine for both me and Aidan. As we walked I balanced across the large stone wall that ran for miles across the border of the bottom of the mountain trying my best to keeping my distance of the still mad Aidan. He hasn’t talked since I slapped him across the cave probably because I left a small hand print on his left cheek. It serves him right for being cocky all the time but I still felt a little bad for him, I was probably the first girl to reject him let alone slap him.

Neve and Kent were way ahead of us to scope out a new place to stay, so there was nothing to break the tension in the air. I sighed and almost lost my footing which would mean a good 8 foot drop and a few broken bones. “Be more careful if you fall I am not catching your ass.” It had been the first thing he had said to me in hours and right off the bat I was irritated.

“I’m not going to fall and even if I did I wouldn’t need anyone to catch me.” I started to walk faster so I was farther away from him. “Fine I hope you drop and hurt yourself.” I went to turn around to yell at him some more. “Your just mad beac… ahh!” Before I could catch myself my foot slipped and I started to fall. I braced myself for the impacted of the ground below and somehow landed in the strong hands of Aidan.

He instantly set me down but still had a hand on my arm. “I told you to be careful.” He scolded me but looked relived that I wasn’t hurt. “I thought you said you wouldn’t catch me.” I mumbled he gave me a look that made it clear that he hadn’t heard what I said. “Thank you.” I said louder and kept walking on the path this time staying on the ground.

We were getting close to the ocean that surrounded Locan when we heard a sound coming from the behind us. A guy with blonde hair in dark blue jeans and a gray tee was walking our way. At first I didn’t think anything of the guy just someone passing through until I saw the yellow marks on his right and left arm.

I didn’t know whether or not I should tell Aidan. If I did it would probably be an all-out brawl and without Neve or Kennet around I think it would end pretty badly on our side. I tried to see if I could find his element but it was nowhere to be seen.

Before I knew what hit me a large black dog with yellow lightning shooting out of its legs jumped from above and knocked me on my back. I tried to get up but the guy was right behind me. “What the hell.” I heard Aidan yell as the dog tried biting him. I had to think quickly or this was going to get ugly. “Summoning magic, Black ice.” I yelled using the little bit of magic Neve had taught me. The ground turned black and cold covering the dog and guys feet, freezing them to the ground.

It worked; it had caught both the dog and the guy off guard. Seeing my chance to escape I got to my feet and grabbed Aidan’s hand, running as fast as I could. We quickly went into the forest right off the side of the road it was like the inn all over again. Searching franticly I found a tree that had been hallowed out at the base just enough to fit one person. I pushed Aidan into it.
“You hide here.” At least if I got caught I could try and use my magic I thought to myself. “What about you?” He said starting to protest his face showed that he was worried. “I’ll find somewhere else.”

I could hear that the two had already broken free of my ice spell I turned to start running but Aidan caught my hand and pulled me into the tiny little hole. If it wasn’t a life and death situation I would have been ten times more embarrassed to be sitting on his lap inches away from his face. Farther away I could hear the two talking. “I thought we were looking for just one Summoner and how the hell does she know magic on her own I’ve never heard of that.”

“I see this girl must be the one that Akamu was talking about, only someone who is a descendant of the original 4 can use element magic. You see to use the magic you must be born with the element you use inside you.” They went silent but they kept looking, I could hear the rustling of bushes get closer and for a moment I thought we were caught.
But then the rustling started to get further away I let out a silent sigh and looked down at Aidan. When I meet his eyes I could see that questions dancing on his lip, curiosity in his eyes. I looked away quickly feeling guilty, even though I had no idea what the other two were talking about earlier.

We sat there for a good half hour after we thought they had gone just to be sure. As we got out of the small hole a frantic Neve came running over to us. “There you two are. Are you guys alright, why did you have to use your magic?” “We’re fine seems like another Summoner is after Aidan, I swear it was a life or death situation otherwise I wouldn’t have used my magic.”

Neve gave me that parental look. “Even so I don’t want many people finding out about your magic Azure.” I looked away. “I’ll be more careful.” I grumbled. “Where’s Kennet?” Aidan said as if nothing had ever happened.
“He’s at the port we agreed that we would leave for the city of Lance early in the morning, there’s too many of Akamu’s followers here.” I looked at Aidan and saw a hint of sadness in his eyes. When he looked up he couldn’t look me in the eye, making me feel like something was up but I kept my mouth shut. We all had secretes I guess.

We had decided to travel in the forest rather than the path which was not going very well for me. I was so drained and tiered from using magic without Neve that I was stumbling over every little thing, plus the wound I had gotten from the dog. “Want me to carry you?” Aidan looked serious which was weird for him. Not being able to keep quiet any longer I whispered to him. “What’s wrong with you, you’ve been acting strange.”

He didn’t say anything he just lifted me up and put me on his back piggy back style. “Just shut up and let me carry you.” I was about to protest but I was too tiered so I just laid my head on his shoulder. “You know Aidan even though we’ve only known each other for a day or two you can talk to me if you need to.” His tense shoulders relaxed a little. “Thank you, Azure.” Out of now were my eyes started to feel heavy, I closed my eyes and rested my head on he’s back not able to fight the tired feeling. Listening to his heart beat I slowly drifted off to sleep.

When I woke up I was laying on my back on the floor of the forest right on the edge of the ocean rapped in my blanket. The smell of dying leafs filled the air. I went to get up but I couldn’t move. Aidan was leaned up against a tree staring down at me with those sad eyes. When he saw me look at him he looked away again. “Hey she’s finally a wake.” I heard him yell.

Before I knew it Neve was hovering over me. “Azure, are you all right?” I tried to say something but all that came out was a squeak. I couldn’t even move my head to look at him properly all I could do was look from the corner of my eyes. “Shit, I knew it. Listen to me Azure you’re paralyzed from when the lightning dog hit you.” I could hear Aidan said in a worried voice though he’s eyes told me a different story. There was something really off about him.

“His attack is one that takes a while to set in so we don’t know how long it’s going to take for you to recover. For now the only thing we can do is keep you warm and safe.” Neve dropped his voice really low as if I wasn’t supposed to hear him. “I’m going to go search for something that might help her, Kennet I want you to come with me, Aidan you stay here and protect her got it.”

I heard Neve and Kennet leave as for Aidan I couldn’t see him so I didn’t know where he was. I laid there in silence unable to move for what seemed like hours until Aidan finally broke the silence. “Azure, I’m sorry.” He came and sat so I was able to see him, that same sad look in his eyes.

“I had drugged you when you fell asleep on me. I really didn’t want to do this, any of it, but I have to. It’s what I have to do to keep me and Kennet safe.” I saw him pull out a knife. “If it’s any difference I honestly don’t think your part of Akamu’s arm but rather safe than sorry.” He said as if it was a joke as if he was trying to make me feel better about this whole thing. “And don’t worry Kennet’s taking care of Neve as we speak and I promise I’ll do it fast.” He said with a sad smile. “It won’t hurt a bit.”

I tried to move, even let out a scream for help but nothing really happened. So this was it I was going to die by the hands of the only other person I trusted. I closed my eyes not wanting to see what came next when I heard Neve and Kennet come bursting through. “Don’t do it Aidan their really not part of Akamu’s army.”

It was too late I thought to myself as my mind went numb. He had stabbed me already though I think he had missed my heart. I could hear them all talking but they sounded far way, my eyes were too heavy to open. Everything was just darkness.

please give me feed back

I never wanted to hurt her, if only they had gotten here sooner. It turned out that when Kennet went to kill Neve a turn of events, that I was unclear about, had cleared all suspicions of them being part of the stupid bull’s army. Now Azure was lying on the floor dyeing and it was all my fault. God I hated myself right now.

Her blue hair tinted red on the tips, her porcelain skin looked paler than normal. Her breathing was unusually slow. I was glad that she had somehow been able to move, even if it was a little, making me miss her heart. Now if we could just stop the bleeding before she bled out she’ll live. Neve and Kennet were trying their best to save her but there was no guaranty that she would make it.

God I would give anything to go back and I realized now just how much I liked her how much she’d grown on me in just one day, even though she slapped me. Right now the only thing in the world I wanted was for her to wake up.

By morning they had stopped the bleeding but in the middle of the night she had caught a pretty bad fever. Since her life was somewhat out of danger they decided we would still take the boat to Lance. The ride to Lance would take a day by boat so we stocked up on food, water, blankets, and medical supplies for the night. The mountain may have been cold but being on the water was twice as cold and we couldn’t start a fire on the boat

I carried her to the dock making sure I didn’t reopen her wounds and set her in the small boat. I quickly rapped her in a blanket and set her head in my lap. Since last night I hadn’t been able to leave her side. “Aidan, stop being so hard on yourself,” I looked up to see Neve staring down at me, of all people I thought Neve would hate me for what I had done. “She wouldn’t like it if she could see that sad look on your face. She would rather have people smile than frown.”

He sat on the other end of the boat, Kennet followed. “But it’s all my fault she’s like this.” Kennet looked even guiltier then me. “It’s not though it’s mine for even thinking they were part of Akamu’s army or talking you into killing Azure.” Neve growled and we both looked at him. “It’s in the past now I’m not the one you need forgiveness from.” After that we went silent.

As the sky got darker I throw another blanket on top of us trying to make sure she wasn’t cold before I went to sleep. As I closed my eyes and drifted off to sleep, I suddenly opened them. I was in the boat still but Kennet and Neve were gone.

I looked around for them and saw her sitting on the edge of the boat draping her legs over the side. She was covered in blood but she seemed calm, even humming a song. “Azure?” I said in a shaking voice. She twisted her head to the side in an unnatural motion. Her face dark and stained in blood. “Silly Aidan, of course it’s me who else would it be?” Her voice didn’t sound right either.

She got up and walked to me, her normal graceful walk replaced by one that made her look like a puppet. When she got closer to me she cupped my face. “Look at what you made me do, Aidan.” I looked over her shoulder and saw Neve and Kennet covered in blood. Why hadn’t I seen them earlier?

“Aidan, look down.” She said in a happy voice. I looked down to see a knife sticking from where my heart should be and with her small hands she turned it making blood splatter everywhere. “W… Why.” I choked out. She said nothing just keep turning, my vision soon started to go and suddenly there was darkness.

I bolted up from where I was laying; I was panting gasping for air, a cold sweet ran down my body. It had just been a nightmare, right? I looked around and saw no blood. Neve and Kennet were sleeping on the other side. I quickly looked down; Azure was still sleeping no blood on her either, god what a screwed up nightmare that was.

“Are you alright?” I heard Neve whisper. “I heard you cry out in your sleep.” “Ye… Yeah I’m fine now just a nightmare.” He nodded and laid his furry head back down. Just a nightmare I told myself as I tried to go back to sleep. It was no use though the images ran through my head like a movie playing its self over and over again.

It was morning and I hadn’t gotten a wink of sleep, I couldn’t wait to get to Lance so I could get a night of peaceful sleep. I had watched Azure all night and she hadn’t moved an inch, not even twitch. Her fever was gone and her wounds were healing so why wasn’t she waking up?

The morning soon turned into day as we arrived at the port in Lance but when we stepped off the boat there was an unwelcoming surprise. “Aw the poor girl I hope that was Resiruke’s fault.” A guy with blonde hair said with a smirk. “Oh I forgot it was all your doing, right?”

“Aidan, grab Azure and run.” Neve barked the order at me. “You’re not going anywhere.” It was the girl that had been chasing me from the inn, a giant snake slithered around her. “You’re trapped kid.” Neve quickly leapt at the snake while Kennet was already at the neck of the dog. “Do you really think you can take us by yourself?” The blonde asked. I set Azure carefully on the ground and went at the blonde with all my might.

Before I got to him the girl grabbed me from behind and injected me with something. I quickly dropped to my knees my body feeling numb. “Ha my power is poisons you should have never turned your back on me.” The girl mused, shit I was losing control of my body and the two elements were busy with the other two.

I tried to think as they kicked me unmercifully cracking my ribs and bruising my sides. The guy grabbed me by my hair and lifted me up. “Now watch carefully as we take care of you friend over there first.” He dropped me to the ground. “No don’t touch her.” I tried getting up but the poison was doing a good job at keeping me still.

He grabbed her by her shirt. “What a shame your actually not bad looking, oh well I’m going to enjoy ruining that pretty little face of yours.” He pretty much punted her into a bunch of crates stacked and waiting to go on other ships. I could hear them laughing in unison. But as they approached the crates the air went cold and still. The two stopped and looked at each other questionably.

Out of nowhere one of the crates flew by them. “Wh… what the hell is going on.” I heard the girl stutter. Azure stepped out from the crates her hair flying wildly; every step she took turned the ground to ice. I tried to look into her once warm blue eyes but they were now almost white and filled with rage.

I saw the two take a step back but then the girl charged at her. “I’m not afraid of you!” She screamed as she charged at her. Azure lifted her hand slowly. “Ice spear.” She said emotionlessly a spear shape piece of ice hit the girl pinning her shoulder to the stone wall in the port. The girl let out a horsed shriek. Azure didn’t even look over at her she was now focused on the guy.

By this time all the elements had stopped fighting and where looking at the commotion. “Elisabeth!” The snake cried then looked at Azure and started to attack her. Azure dodged each strike as if the snake was going in slow motion. I looked over to see Neve staring horrified. “Black ice.” She said coldly and the snake’s body started to freeze.

Such power I had no idea she could do this without using Neve’s magic. “Shit, what the hell are you?!” The blonde called out to her. “Resiruke I need to use some of your magic.” The dog nodded. “Summoner magic heavenly light!” Lightning flew out of his arm with the marks on it heading straight towards Azure.

I wicked smirk went a crossed her face making me think of the nightmare. “Ice dragon.” A dragon like shape appeared from the arm her mark was on and swallowed the lightning and it kept going. It hit the guy sending him flying down the port, by this time people had started to gather.

“Azure snap out of it!” She turned and looked at Neve he white blue eyes cold. “Azure!” All of a sudden her eyes went wide and they turned back to the normal blue color. Once that happened she collapsed to the ground in a heap all of the ice she had cast disappeared. The snake and girl quickly escaped and the guy with the dog already gone. Relived she was back to normal I closed my heavy eyes and everything went dark.

I guess what happened next was the two elements grabbed both of us and hulled us off to safety away from the other people. They somehow got the poison out of me and rapped me up as much as they could without touching my ribs. Azure was fine with a few scrapes and bruises but was out cold again. Neve explained to Kennet what happened with Azure revealing a dark secret which he refused to tell me about. Things have just gotten a whole hell of a lot more confusing.

This book has 1 comment.

chris_916 BRONZE, Sacramento, California
This has very good details and l like what you did in the 2 par when you explain about the violents and when the waves crashed into the ship, this is very good.