Truth and Justice | Teen Ink

Truth and Justice

Summary:

1.
“WHAT ? What did you do ?” asked Ilan
“I broke his middle finger. “ replied Akbar .

****************************************************

Ilan is a student of class 9 . He is like every other boy in the class , but a little bit extra ordinary . Ilan’s family consists of his parents and his older brother . His maternal uncle Mr. Akbar lives upstairs of Ilan’s floor . Though Akbar has a very good educational background , he doesn’t get any job . Somehow all of his interviews goes wrong and he falls apart . Ilan and his uncle are very friendly . They share every deepest secret of their lives . They are best friends .

This week Ilan’s uncle applied for another job and the company approved his uncle’s CV . Right then Akbar comes downstairs and he rings the doorbell . Ilan opens the door .
“Hey how are you mama ?” asks Ilan .
“I’m fine . There’s a great news .” replies Akbar .
“What is it ?”
“ The company accepted my CV . Tomorrow is my interview .”
“Ohh yeah ! That’s the best news!.Come on in . “
“Thanks .”
“ So are you ready for tomorrow? “
“ Yeah .”
“ Mama , just give your best okay ? In Shaa Alllah everything will be fine .”
“Yeah . Pray for me .”
“ As always. “
“What are you doing? “
“Watching Game of Thrones. “

Game of Thrones is one of the best Tv series of all time . It’s 18+ . Only for adults . But Ilan is just 16 , he is sure as hell not to be watching that show .

“ Should you be watching this show ? “
Out of nowhere mama asks .
“ Yeah why not ?” asks Ilan.
“ No it’s not for you it is for the elderly people .”
“ Who cares . I’ll skip those parts .”
“If sister sees you watching these type of things , then I’m sure as hell you’re going to die .”
“No worries Mama .”

Akbar is a very kind hearted and pious man . He doesn’t know what is dishonesty and rude behaviour. But if he sees something wrong or dishonest work or any social disorder , then no one can stop him from resisting that . And at times he is very hard to control . He becomes like some kind of super man or iron man or whatever the hell that is .

“Your wish . But I warn you .” says Akbar .

After having dinner , Akbar goes upstairs, lays down and stares right up in the ceiling , thinking about his past , what he have done in his whole life . He have a very complicated life . He doesn’t even know how many gangsters he have given punishment or handed over to the police . All over his life he just fought for justice . And in the whole world he just have one friend to tell everything of his life . Ilan .

Silence.

After 5 minutes, Akbar is snoring like a beast .

The next day Akbar wakes up early . Goes to washroom and takes a look in the mirror . Brushes his teeth, takes breakfast and then gets ready for the interview .Before getting out of the building he rings the doorbell of Ilan’s floor . Ilan opens the door as always .
“Wow mama! You are looking great .”
“ Thanks . If I get this job , I’ll give you treat .”
“ Why not ? Of course . Even you wouldn’t had to say . I would take it from my self. Just give your best okay ? And keep your temper cool .”
“Okay kid .” says Akbar .

The office Akbar visited is really good looking and it is 7 floors . He enters the building and goes to the reception. The lady sitting in the reception looks like well mannered and well behaved. The lady is wearing a red dress and her lips are covered with red lipstick. Akbar went to the front of the desk .

“Good morning sir . How can I help you ?” The lady asked .
“ Good morning . I had an interview .”
“Sir can I know your name ?”
“ Muhammad Akbar .”
“Okay.”

The lady starts typing on her laptop . After a few seconds , she searched Akbar’s name and found out that Akbar had interview for work .

“Sir . It says that you have an appointment with Mr. Hastalgar . Your interview will be within in half an hour. Please wait .”
“Thank you. “

What the hell kind of name is ‘Hastalgar’? Akbar thinks in silence . He’s a little bit of nervous about the interview . After some time the lady calls Akbar’s name and instructs him to go to room no.410 . While going up in the lift , Akbar thinks that he should be perfect . He should answer the questions correctly. He has to get this job . No matter what happens .

Ding . The elevator makes sound . He reached the 4th floor . No wonder where is 401 . He finds a long corridor in front of him .

401 , 402 , 403 . He keeps looking for 410 .
408 , 409 , 410 .

Akbar found the room . Before entering the room, he reads Ayatul Kursi once and Sura
Al Fatiha 3 times .

Akbar knocked the door and said ,”Assalamualikum sir . May I come in ?”
The man named Hastalgar replied ,” Walaikumassalam . Are you Mr. Akbar ?”
“Yes.” Replies Akbar.
“I was expecting you to see Mr. Akbar . Please have a sit .”
“Thank you. “

The man Hastalgar looks exactly like as Akbar had imagined . The man’s name was Hastalgar but looked exactly like Hitler . A bunch of moustache below of his nose and his hair was also like Adolf Hitler . He seemed no way of being a boss . His tie was made of silk cloth and there were aeroplanes on his tie . How the hell does this man becomes a Boss ? Akbar wonders .

“So Mr. Akbar , would you like to have something like tea or coffee or cold drinks? “
“No thank you .”
“Okay let’s start then . What is your full name ?”
“ Muhammad Akbar. “
“Okay . And where are you from ?”
“I’m from Dhanmondi .”
“ Can you please show me your HSC and SSC certificate and your testimonials?”
“Yeah . Of course. Here you go .”

Akbar hands all his certificates . His hands shaking like hell .

“ So Mr. Akbar , I see you have a great educational background. Can you take the job and do it respectfully and in good manner? “
“Yes sir , of course. It’ll be my pleasure .”
“ Okay . You will get the job . But at first , let’s talk about business .”
“I’m sorry sir I don’t understand. “
“Well you’ll understand now . If you want to take the job , you will have to give me some money , I meant bribe , and this will be secret . If you don’t give the money , you’ll not get this job .”

The words were burning inside Akbar like volcano . He didn’t even think that this would happen .

“S-si-Sir, I—” Akbar can’t finish his words .
“Sir I can’t give you the money .”
“Then go back .”
“ Okay sir .”
When Akbar got up and reached the door , he thought of something . An idea . A great idea for people like this shit .
He speaks up suddenly .
“Sir I’ll give you the money . Will you give me the job ?”
“Yes . Come on . Sit .”
“ Sir, how much is it ?”
“ 1 Lac.”
“ Okay it’s in my wallet .

Actually there’s only 1 thousand taka in Akbar’s wallet .

He said , “Sir I want to give you the money under the table .”
“You don’t have to do that . Give me the money above the table .”
“No sir, it’s an honour. I want to give you under the table .”
“Alright. Your wish .”

Hastalgar gives his hand under the table . Akbar takes a note from his wallet without showing Hastalgar .

He says ,”Sir where’s your hand ?”
“It’s here , on the right .”
“Okay .”

When Akbar gets the touch of Hastalgar’s hand , instead of giving the money, he grabs Hastalgar’s middle finger of right hand and then twists it like a bamboo . The screaming sound of Hastalgar spread all over the office . The last thing Akbar saw was that Hastalgar’s middle finger was swinging like a clock’s pendulum. His finger was swinging right and left ; completely separate from his hand . Broken .

Before leaving , Akbar said ,
”Never ever again , try to take bribe from anyone . Allah is there watching everything. If I again somehow get to know that you’ve started to take bribe from anyone , I’ll come and break your whole goddamn hand . I have spent my whole life trying to establish the truth and justice by making people understand. To establish the right justice everyone have to resist against violence. And everyone doesn’t have that . People like you make our society full of violence . If I again hear you taking bribe , then I’m sure as hell that I’ll come to you , kick right in your teeth and handover to the police ; you little piece of sh*t, you sick b*st*rd .”

Before anyone can come Akbar took all the files and papers and ran out of the office . Five minutes later when Akbar was out of the office’s territory , the receptionist received a call from Hastalgar that he need an ambulance . His finger was broken .

Narrating down this story to Ilan , he was astonished and wordless . Akbar said,
“And then I broke his finger .”
“Say that again . WHAT DID YOU DO ?”
“I broke his middle finger.”
“Mama , I just don’t have any words to say . But if there’s any real superhero in the world , that would be you. Great job mama . I’m proud of you . Love ya . But what about your job ?”
“I don’t need any Haram job . If I earn 10 taka a month in a Halal way a month , I will be happy with that . And If I earn 10 lac taka in Haram way a month , I would have killed myself a long ago .”

There’s nothing to do for Ilan without sighing. A small smile came right across of Akbar’s mouth .

Is it a victory simile ? Or is it a smile that can change the world ?

Anonymous

Truth and Justice