Not Built That Way-A T.U.F.F Puppy fanfic/songfic | Teen Ink

Not Built That Way-A T.U.F.F Puppy fanfic/songfic

By Fandomchild16, Hawthorne, New York
Fandomchild16, Hawthorne, New York

" AH NAH. I don't do mornans"-Star Feraldo from Studio C

This is my first piece of writing that I'm putting on here, so please no flaming yet

All characters belong to their rightful owners, whether it's the actual show, Devianart, or my very own characters

Rico and his siblings belong to thier rightful owners on Deviantart

The rest belong to me

“Hey, wait up!!” a light grey rat-shrew hybrid called out to a dark grey rat with black hair and green eyes. The rat spun his head around and waved his arm in a signaling motion.

“Move it, Balthazar!” 

“Rico, wait! I’m coming!”

The boys were at the playground with all of their friends. The game was team freeze tag, where the children were to separate in teams of two-to-three and the taggers would try to get all the teams before time ran out. Balthazar and Rico were teamed up with another friend of theirs, a green and blonde-haired alligator named Dylan, although he was nowhere to be seen. 

“Faster!” Rico urged his bespectacled hybrid cousin, “They’re gaining on us!” 

Balthazar looked back, still trying to catch up, “What about Dylan?” 

“No time! Come on!”

“But he’s our teammate!”

“You want Johnny and his crew to tag us?!”

Balthazar said nothing, his words taken over by panting. They were approaching the big toy now, where all the other children at the park were playing. Rico shoved various kids aside.

“Out of the way! Move it or lose it! Coming through!” 

Balthazar tried to follow.

“Excuse me! Sorry. Can you let me pass please? Thank you! So sorry, in a hurry here. Thank you very much!”

“Balthazar, get your hairless shrew tail over here!”

Balthazar soon caught up with his cousin near a short tube underneath the big toy. 

“You think we lost them?” he asked, panting.

Rico nodded, “Yeah...yeah, we had to.”

Balthazar stared out into the distance where other kids were running.

“You think Dylan’s been tagged yet?”

“Probably. We’re the only team left now.”

“I’m scared.”

“That’s cuz you’re a wimp, little B.” Rico replied. “But there’s no way Johnny’s team is gonna get us. I mean, who would look under the playground?”

As Rico was saying this, a familiar figure slowly crept through the small tunnel right behind Rico. It pounced, sending the rat to the ground with a thud. 

“TAG!”

Balthazar backed away, seeing a brown rat-ferret hybrid with brown hair, a yellow and red striped shirt, black pants, and a ferret tail.

Johnny.

Balthazar’s eyes widened as Johnny stepped closer. 

“Two down, one to go.”

“H-how’d you-?” Balthazar stammered.

“Like my dad always says, ‘When you’re after someone, ya gotta look everywhere to get ‘em’”. Johnny answered as another child appeared next to him. This was a white female rat-ferret hybrid with a brown “mask” and long, black hair, wearing a green shirt and a light blue skirt with black shoes. She was Katrina(Kat) Snaptrap, Balthazar, Rico, and Johnny’s cousin.

“You tell them, Johnny!” Kat commented, putting her hands on her hips. “Now it’s time to win this game once and for all!”

Balthazar let out a squeal as he bolted out from underneath the big toy as fast as he could. Johnny and Kat raced after him, practically at his heels.

“You can’t run forever, nerd!”

“Maybe he can, no-he can’t. He’s the last one. But he COULD be a fast runner...”

“Kat! Stop talking and start running faster!”

Balthazar’s legs were giving out, but he pushed on. His heart was racing, feet soon slowing down a bit. Johnny grinned mischievously, building up more speed and rammed the hybrid hard on the ground.

“TAG! We win! We win!”

Johnny and Kat high-fived. Balthazar lay on the grass, studying his knee to see if there was a bruise.

“GAME’S OVER, EVERYONE!” Johnny called out.

On cue, Rico ran out with his seven other rat pup siblings over to the other three. Fraternal rat-ferret hybrid twins with blonde hair and purple clothing followed close-by. The last child was a small alligator with a baggy red shirt, red eyes, black shorts, and half-green,half-blonde hair. 

“So, I’m guessing you two won?” the tallest rat pup named Angel asked.

“Duh! We creamed every one of you losers!” Johnny replied proudly.

“You just don’t give up, do you?” The twins, whose names were Bonnie and Clyde, queried in unison.

“Nuh-uh. You can’t give up on anything.That’s just a part of life. Ya also gotta play rough so no one steps all over ya!”

Dylan looked down at Balthazar, still checking his body for any marks. His glasses now crooked.

“I think you went a little too rough....”

Johnny glanced down at his cousin. “Woah, Balthazar. You okay?”

Balthazar grabbed Dylan’s hand and stood up, wiping his clothes with his hands. He fixed his glasses.

“Yeah, I’m fine. But could you go a little easier next time?”

Johnny crossed his arms. “What? No way! It’s part of the rules of Team Freeze Tag! The taggers can tag the others as hard as they want as long as we don’t kill ‘em.”

“I have to admit Balthazar,” Kat spoke up, “You and your team were tough to get.”

“Yeah, and we would’ve won too if Balthazar wasn’t so slow.” Rico commented.

Nichole, one of Rico’s siblings, put her hands on her hips. “Way to go, Balthazar”

Balthazar hung his head a bit. Dylan gave his friends a dirty look.

“Hey guys, lay off, will you? B can’t help it if he’s weaker than us. Besides, this game’s all about fun.”

“That’s the problem.” Johnny said, “Balthazar’s a wimp. He can’t exactly defend himself.”

“Well you know Balthazar,he wouldn’t hurt a fly” Nike, another sibling of Rico’s, added.

“More like COULDN’T.”

“I can TOO hurt a fly!” Balthazar spoke up.

“Shut up, Balthazar.” Rico intoned.

“Okay.” 

“Guys, leave Balthazar alone.” Angel piped up. “Not everyone can play rough. Now why don’t we all play something else. Maybe hide-and seek or something.”

Mumbles of agreement were heard over the children and they all ran off towards the big toy; all except Dylan and Balthzar.

“Hide and seek! I love that game!” Dylan rejoiced, “What’re you waiting for, B? C’mon!” 

Balthazar bit his lip. “....Dylan?...”

“Yeah?”

“Do you think I’m a wimp?” 

The question caught the young alligator off guard.

“What? No. You’re not a wimp. You’re just....not as tough as me and Johnny. That’s all.”

“Yeah....sometimes I wish I could hit people hard enough like you.”

The hybrid looked on at Johnny, who was making a mud pie(since it had rained the previous day and there was still mud in various spots) when another child bumped into him, causing the boy to fall into the mud. Johnny glared at the boy before running to catch up with him and slamming him against a pole. Balthazar could see fear in the kid’s eyes as he seemed to be profusely apologizing, letting a small puddle form in his pants.

“Man, look at Johnny over there,”Balhazar mused, “He doesn’t let anyone walk over him. And whenever someone disrespects him, he teaches them a lesson!”

“Well, he is in the mafia.”

“I mean, yeah, but he’s just so intimidating! I wanna be like him! Not let anyone walk all over me!”

Dylan shrugged, “Maybe he can teach you. He’s one of your cousins, isn’t he?”

Dylan ran off to find a hiding place. Balthazar grinned to himself.

“Yeah...he is. And he can!”

I guess I should tell you readers that Johnny is the closest thing I have to a bully in the next gen, though he's not those towering jokes that bully just for fun. He's more like a Beauford from Phineas and Ferb

The sound of the school bell the next day signaled that recess had begun. Among the screaming children all running out to the playground, Balthazar quietly studied the area, hoping to find Johnny. The hybrid smiled as he saw the brown hybrid leaning against the swingset, repeatedly flipping a quarter. 

“Johnny!”

Johnny looked up and smiled cooly. 

“Hey, cous’! What’s up?”

Balthazar took a breath. “Can you teach me how to be tough?”

“Teach you how to be tough?” Johnny repeated.

“Yeah...like standing up for yourself, not letting people walk all over you, beating them up if necessary-you know, tough!”

Johnny smiled, “Oh, so you don’t wanna be a wimp no more? Sure, I’ll help ya!” He put a hand on Balthazar’s shoulder. “Stick with me and nobody’ll mess with you before you know it!”

“Sweet! What do we do first?” Balthazar asked.

Johnny looked around for a moment,then snapped his fingers.

“I got it.” Johnny pointed to an intimidating bull child giving another child a wedgie. “See that bull kid over there?”

“Who, Tommy?”

“Yeah. He owes me his fruit snacks cuz I did him a favor.” Johnny notified.

“Oh uh, okay...but what if he doesn’t have them?” Balthazar quizzed.

“You’ll see soon enough, little B.”

The two boys walked up towards Tommy, Johnny taking the lead. 

“Yo”

Tommy’s eyes locked with Johnny’s. The calf immediately dropped his victim, causing the kid to run off. He inhaled subtly.

“Johnny! Uh-hey, what’s up?”

“Where’s my snacks?”

“Oh....uh....see, about that...” Tommy quavered.

“You DO have it, right?” Johnny challenged.

“M-My p-parents ran out of them....” Tommy squeaked, “I swear, I just need a little more-“

“Time?”Johnny interrupted. He sighed, “Tommy, Tommy, Tommy, we had a deal. I protect yas from getting in trouble and you owe me a bag of fruit snacks every week.”

“Give me one more day! I’ll bring the fruit snacks tomorrow!”

Johnny tsked, “No snacks, no mercy.” He turned toward Balthazar and grinned mischievously. “Watch this.”

Balthazar watched as Johnny casually walked over to Tommy and grabbed the back of his pants. Tommy yelped as he was blinded by his own underwear. Johnny wiped his hands and started to walk away. Balthazar soon caught up.

“Wow! You know,I’ve gotten atomic wedgies like that before, but I’ve never seen someone else get it!”

Johnny shrugged. “Meh, it was nothing. My dad says I can’t beat up anyone yet, so this is the least violent thing I could do to someone.”

“How do you do it?” Balthazar asked.

“Easy. Ya gotta let people know that you’re the boss. Start lookin’ down on other people if they don’t do what you wanted them to do.” Johnny answered. 

“What about just reminding them nicely?”

“Well, you can do that at first, but if they don’t listen, show them you mean business.”

Johnny put his hands on his hips.

“Here’s a lil’ scenario: Let’s say you’re doin’ some sorta group assignment and you tell everyone to pitch in, but they don’t listen and keep pressuring you to do all the work. What do you do?”

“Say please and tell the teacher if they don’t listen?” Balthazar answered.

Johnny facepalmed. “No, ya lughead! You give them an intimidating glare and kick ‘em in the shin!”

“Johnny, have you MET me?” Balthazar responded, “I’m the least intimidating person in the school.”

“Then you gotta make yourself intimidating!”Johnny suggested. He pointed to his cousin. “Maybe change....that...”

Before Balthazar could open his mouth, the sound of a whistle pierced through the air, signaling everyone that recess was over. Johnny threw his thumb behind him.

“Well, gotta get with my class. See you tomorrow, cous’!”

Balthazar cupped his hands to his mouth as his cousin started to run away.

“Wait! How do I do that?!”

Johnny whipped his head back.

“Do what Dylan does, punch a tree!”

Balthazar smiled. “Oh yeah. Good idea.”

Pat, Larry, and Mad Nat all belong to the actual show (even though Pat and Nat appear in one episode and Nat doesn't even talk)

“Ow. Ow. Ow!”

Balthazar withdrew his fist after it slammed into the tree in his garden. His knuckles were now red and filled with splinters. He rubbed the bruises.

“Gee, how does Dylan do this? He makes this look so easy- I mean, I’m pretty sure he made a dent in his tree! Oh well,better keep practicing.”

Meanwhile, a stout, but classy-looking rat with orange hair set a plate of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies on the table. Pat Snaptrap, Balthazar’s mother, turned towards her husband, Larry, a bespectacled shrew with white hair.

“Hey Larry, could you get Balthazar inside? I made him an after school snack for getting straight A’s in his classes.” Pat beamed, “He’s momma’s smart little boy!”

Larry chuckled, “Yeah, that’s our son! The sweetest future villain in Petropolis-and why is he punching a tree?”

Pat followed Larry to the window, watching her son. She opened the back door, putting a hand on her hip.

“Balthazar? What are you doing?”

Balthazar stopped to look at his parents, smiling.

“Hi, mom! Hi, dad!”

Balthazar straightened himself, trying his best to put on an intimidating face while stepping on a nearby patch of flowers. Pat raised her eyebrows, then walked over to her son, Larry at her heels.

“Balthazar, what’s come over you?”

Balthazar paid no attention to the question, looking at something in the distance. Pat and Larry turned to see Johnny and his father(and Pat’s cousin), Mad Nat, demanding money from someone. The citizen backed away from the two blasters pointed at him and quickly gave Nat a stack of money. Johnny then punched the citizen in the gut as he fell to the ground in pain. The couple grinned, knowingly.

“Ohhh, now I get it.” Pat said.

Balthazar looked up at his parents.

“Yeah, I’m trying to work on my intimidation skills.”

“By stepping on your mother’s flowers?” Larry asked.

“Well, who cares about some dumb ol’ weeds?”

“Balthazar!” 

Balthazar reared his head back a bit at his mother’s tone.

“I’m sorry mom,” he apologized, “It’s just that I’m sick of everyone else looking down on me and being the underdog in my friend group! I just wanna be intimidating like my cousin, Johnny, not like dad back when he was in DOOM!”

Balthazar turned to Larry. “No offense, dad.”

“None taken.” Larry smiled.

Pat sighed and shook her head, “Oh Balthazar, Balthazar, Balthazar. You adorable little thing. You can’t try to be something you’re not. Some people are bigger, stronger, and meant to lift weights or carry big objects while others are more academically talented like you. You’re just like your father-doesn’t have any muscle, but very intelligent and cunning.”

Larry blushed lightly at his wife’s comment. Balthazar just rolled his eyes.

“Not for long, I’m not!”

Balthazar turned his back to his parents, straightened himself, and walked up to a young apple tree, grabbing it in order to pull it out of the ground. Pat let out a huff as she put on her hands on her hips and started to sing,

What’s come over you

Acting like you do

Trying to be rough

Balthazar, you aren’t built that way!

The singing made Balthazar stop pulling the plant(which stood there, unmoved) and stare at his mom. Larry put a hand on his son’s shoulder as he sang,

And when somebody cute

Tries to be a brute,

He may find it tough

If he’s not built that way

Balthazar shook his head. “No. I’m not gonna keep being a wimp! I’m going with Johnny and learn how to be intimidating!”

The hybrid glanced at his house.

“...Starting tomorrow since I have math homework.”

Balthazar ran back into his house. Larry and Pat just looked at each other.

“Should we try to stop him?” Pat asked.

“You know what? Let him.” Larry replied, “This is one of the life lessons he needs to learn on his own.”

Pat just nodded in understanding.

One of Balthazar's suggestions is a reference to the actual Betty Boop episode :)

It was a beautiful Friday afternoon when the school bell finally rang and all the children happily raced out to the buses. Balthazar carefully scanned in front of him, then beamed as he saw Johnny walking along the sidewalk away from the school buses. He quickly caught up with his cousin.

“Hey, Johnny!”

Johnny grinned, “Oh hey, Balthazar. Ya ready for Toughness 101?”

“Totally! Where are we going first, Johnny??” 

“Well first, we’re gonna need another kid ta be the muscle.” Johnny answered. He gazed over to the other students who were still in front of the school. “Now let’s see who’s good enough..”

“JOHNNY! BALTHAZAR!”

Dylan’s voice screamed as the young alligator ran over towards the two hybrids. He skidded to a halt.

“I heard you guys are gonna try and make Balthazar more tough! Can I come along? Please, please, PLEASE??”

Balthazar couldn’t help but grin at his  best friend’s excitement. 

“Of course you can!” he replied.

Johnny shook his head disapprovingly at his cousin while crossing his arms. 

“No. No, no, no, no, no.”

Balthazar and Dylan frowned.

“You can’t agree to something you like with open arms,” Johnny continued, “you have to be more relaxed about it. Go with the flow. Say, ‘Meh, sure. Why not?’. Now you try it.”

“Meh, sure. Why not?” Balthazar repeated, smiling cooley.

Johnny nodded in approval, “Yeah, we need a muscle anyway. Come on.”

Johnny turned and walked away. Dylan and Balthazar beamed at each other, squealing silently out of excitement before running to catch up with Johnny. 

“What’s the plan, Johnny? Hmm? Are we gonna go to a boxing ring and practice punching? Steal some kids’ pocket money? Maybe steal a part of a cat’s lunch by eating a fish head?” Balthazar inquired. He then stopped himself for a moment. “Uh, I mean, so what’s on our agenda cous’?”

“We’re goin’ to the antique shop.” Johnny responded. “I promised my dad I’d go uh-take care of somethin’ for business....yeah...that’s it..”

Balthazar kept looking straight ahead. He took a deep breath and smiled confidently. His nerdy reputation would soon be no more.

Starting now, he was going to be taken seriously.

The three boys waltzed into the Petropolis Antique Shop, Johnny taking the lead. An elderly female duck behind the counter looked up from cleaning and smiled nervously.

“Um...hi, Johnny.” The duck greeted, “May I help you?”

Balthazar leaned over to Johnny, “You know the grown-ups?”

“Yeah, my dad and my uncles come here all the time for protection money. You know, since she’s old and all that.” Johnny explained.

“Cool! Now I can finally say I know people that know people!” Dylan commented.

The duck smiled innocently. “How sweet, you brought your little friends! How are you little dears?”

“Cut the crud, Mrs. F, where is it?” Johnny said sharply.

“Where’s what, sweetie? Maybe I can help your friends get something for a discount?” Mrs. F suggested, “How about this lovely Ming vase for only 50 dollars?”

Balthazar put two fingers to his chin, gazing at the vase. He turned to Dylan.

“50 dollars, that’s a steal!”

“Shut up, Balthazar.” Johnny flatly said without looking at his cousin.

“Okay.”

Johnny crossed his arms. “Where’s the protection money, Mrs. F? Come on, I ain’t got all day.”

Mrs. F gulped, “Well...sweetie, I’m afraid I just need a little more time. Business has just been so slow lately-“

“Got it.” Johnny interrupted. He then snapped his fingers. “Dylan, Balthazar, trash the place.”

“Are you sure, dude?” Dylan asked. “She seems so nice.”

“Relax, it’s just breaking stuff. It ain’t hurting her.” Johnny assured.

Dylan shrugged, then pushed a nearby vase off its stand, followed by a loud crashing noise. Mrs. F gasped.

“That’s a 100 year old vase...”

“Sorry Mrs F, but ya left me no choice. Boys, wreck as many things as you can find!” Johnny ordered.

Dylan nodded and started punching several clocks on the wall. Johnny elbowed a lamp next to him, breaking it in two. Balthazar gazed at an old grandfather clock. 

“Well, gotta start somewhere.”

Balthazar cracked his knuckles and slammed his fist into the glass. The glass only responded with a small thud. Balthazar quickly pulled his hand back and shook it.

“Ow...strong glass...”

Balthazar then glanced at a large shelf of porcelain figurines near him.

“Okay, plan B”

Balthazar grabbed as many figurines as he could and carelessly dropped them simultaneously on the floor. All he could see now were millions of pieces scattered before him. He repeated his act, despite hearing the desperate pleads of Mrs. F. 

“Kids, no! Stop! Oh please don’t-oh dear! That was worth 1500 dollars! Please, I’m sorry!”

Mrs. F frantically pulled out all the money from the cash register, as well as the money from her wallet and shoved it in Johnny’s hands.

“Here! Take everything! It’s all I have! Just PLEASE stop breaking everything!”

Johnny smiled and whistled, causing Dylan and Balthazar to freeze. 

“Alright, fellas. Time to go.”

The two friends looked at each other before following the rat-ferret hybrid out of the shop. Johnny peered his head back in and pointed at the elderly duck, who was on the verge of  crying. 

“I’ll be back for more next week.”

Boop-oop-ee-doop!

...Sorry, I had to do it

I think we all need a friend like Dylan

Johnny caught up with his cousin and friend and ran his finger on the stack of money.

“I did not want to do that. She was very nice ta me and my pop. But, that’s how the mafia works.”

“Uh, why’d we have to break her antiques again?” quizzed Dylan.

“Cuz she didn’t have her protection money and I promised my dad I’d get it to him today.”

“That...actually felt pretty good!” Balthazar resounded. “Is that how it feels to be above someone for once? Because I kinda enjoyed Mrs. F begging for us to stop!”

Johnny nodded, “That’s part of being hardcore! People are scared of you.”

“Well, I loved it! This could really increase my status for being a future villain!”

Balthazar walked ahead of Johnny, turning his head around to face his cousin and best friend. 

“I’m finally gonna be respected around here! You’ll see: No one’s gonna mess with THIS future villain! And nothing’s gonna stand in my way!”

Balthazar’s face suddenly collided with a pair of legs in front of him. He stumbled back a bit, shaking the dizziness off. He glared up.

“Hey! Watch where you’re going, buh-“ Balthazar suddenly stopped. “Buh-buh-buh-buh...”

Towering over the three boys were two teenagers: One a gorilla and the other a black and white rabbit. They were both wearing blue jerseys with red jackets with a mascot on the front. Balthazar recognized that mascot. It was the head of a panther, the mascot of Petropolis High School. Balthazar gulped as the high school students eyed him down.

“Well, well, well, what have we here?” the gorilla began. “Three little ballerinas on OUR property...”

Johnny scowled, “Who you calling ‘ballerinas’ , tubby? This is OUR turf you’re on! And we don’t take kindly ta kids like you!”

“Yeah!” Balthazar added,trying to match his cousin’s face, “So beat it, bub or else this won’t end well for you!”

The high schoolers only laughed.

“Aww, how cute!” The rabbit gibed, “A nerd thinks he can take us!”

The gorilla bent down and put his hands on his knees. “How ‘bout you go play somewhere else, you little brats.”

“BRATS?!” Johnny repeated angrily. “Ooh, that tears it!”

Johnny pulled his leg back as far as he could, before colliding it with the gorilla’s crotch. The gorilla yelped and put his hands over his wound. The rabbit picked Balthazar up by the collar and gave the hybrid a death glare. Any feelings of courage were gone now as Balthazar let out a squeak while squeezing his eyes shut.

“Please don’t hurt me!”

“Too late.”

The rabbit pinned Balthazar against the brick wall forcefully. The gorilla shoved Johnny back towards Dylan, who could only stare wide-eyed. The alligator put his hands up.

“Now look, I don’t want any trouble...” he said calmly.

The gorilla carelessly pushed the young gator aside, crashing him against the wall. Dylan bared his teeth and clenched his fists.

“AW HECK NO! NO MERCY!!”

Dylan launched himself forward, crashing into the gorilla’s backside and surprisingly making him lose his balance. Johnny smiled mischievously and began to kick his opponent in the ribs to keep him down. The rabbit, who had Balthazar by his legs, looked up at his partner, giving Balthazar the chance to wriggle free. The hybrid fell on his stomach, but quickly gathered up his school supplies, shoving them in his backpack and scrambled to his feet. He tried to run past the fight, only to soon be grabbed by the back of his shirt by the rabbit

“Gotcha!”

“AHH! GUYS, HELP!” Balthazar screamed. 

Dylan gasped, “Balthazar!” and ran towards the other teen. The young alligator wasted no time pouncing on his opponent’s leg, sinking his teeth into it with a loud chomp. The rabbit let out a yelp and immediately dropped Balthazar. Dylan then headbutted the rabbit in the gut, knocking him down. Both teenagers gave each other a look before bolting away from the younger boys. 

“Yeah, you better run!” Johnny called out, “And DON’T come back around here ever again!”

Johnny and Dylan high-fived.

“Nice job, Dylan.”

“Thanks!” Dylan smiled, “Boy, we really showed those jerks! Right, Balthazar?.....Balthazar?”

Balthazar continued to run. He forced his legs to carry him all the way back to his house without ever looking back. For now, he didn’t care what was happening back where his cousin and best friend were. He kept looking straight ahead while clutching onto the straps from his backpack on his shoulders. After what felt like an eternity, he finally reached his home. Balthazar barged in through his front door, slamming it and barricading it with his own body while panting heavily. His parents gave him a confused look.

“Balthazar? What happened? Why do  you look like you’re about to faint?” inquired Larry. 

Balthazar took a few more breaths until they slowed down. 

“Long story...”he finally replied. The hybrid looked up at his mother. “Being tough is harder than I thought...”

Pat smiled at her son’s comment. “I told you, baby, you shouldn’t try to be like other kids. You just be your smart little self from now on, okay?”

Balthazar nodded, “Okay, mom. Guess I’m not cut out for strength, am I?”

Pat only chuckled as she picked up her little boy, while singing

Now you see I’m right

And you weren’t bright

Trying to be tough

‘Cause you’re not built that way! 

Pat kissed Balthazar on the cheek. He grinned sheepishly.

Perhaps...it was best if he used his brains instead of brawn.

The end.