Magical Mutant Demigods | Teen Ink

Magical Mutant Demigods

By ArtemisHunter, Melbourne, Other
ArtemisHunter, Melbourne, Other

"I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis. I turn my back on the company of men, accept eternal maidenhood and join the Hunt."

I truly believe that everything in books is real, so I dedicated this story to all the people who are shunned for what they believe. To me, I believe everything that has not been proven to be wrong. You could describe me as Luna Lovegood type of person.

Maximum Ride POV

"Attention, climbing trees in Central Park is forbidden, please come down immediately." Those were the first words I hear when I wake up from my staggering sleep. The people down the bottom were policemen, shouting through megaphones. They raised a ladder for my flock and me to climb down but instead, we jumped off a particularly high branch with ease. There were some raised eyebrows. With that, we were walking away over a hill, searching for more places to take shelter and find decent food. I don't know why I didn't think of flying over the bustling city.

I lost track of time, but I think we walked for a few hours before seeing an abandoned farmhouse on a large patch of grass, and we settled in. After we unpacked and settled into the environment, I found a fridge full of food. Cheese, eggs, salami, milk and all the other stuff! There were two types of food that I didn't recognise though. One was yellow and looked like mushed pudding. The other one looked a lot like honey. I decided not to try them, for they could be anything.

In the morning, I was the first of my flock to wake up, as usual. I had breakfast as normal, cold baked beans and toast since my atrocious cooking is feared by my flock. I put on my windbreaker jacket and headed out for a morning flight. As I was walking outside, I saw a pine tree with a golden piece of fur hanging on one of the branches. I was shocked to see such a valuable thing just hung on a tree branch. I ran towards the pine tree and reached for the fur.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you, Max." I heard a soft voice behind me. Angel! She walked in front of me and adjusted the golden fur so that it wouldn't slide off the side. Then, the fact that Angel had buttoned her shirt wrong made me laugh. I grasped her collar and started re-buttoning it.

Angel silently watched as I was correcting her clothes. It was then when I finally felt peace at last. Well, it never lasts anyway. I was adjusting her skirt when I heard the rustling of leaves and a twig snap. In the distance, I saw a boy with messy black hair and sea-green eyes. I couldn't really tell if they were the colour of the sea since I had never seen the ocean in my life.

I tried to dash off back to our temporary home but he spotted me just as I was grabbing Angel to drag her back to the farmhouse. He shouted something but it was covered by the wind. He ran closer and shouted again. This time I could hear him clearly.

"Let go of that little girl!"

I was confused. Angel was a little girl, but she was my little girl. What was this boy yelling about? Maybe he didn't know that Angel was with me. By the time I was thinking all of this, the boy was already standing in front of me. He inspected me as if looking for anything suspicious, and I did the same to him. In another moment, he took out a pen and uncapped it. What was he going to do? Write me a note? I was about to run away when his pen suddenly enlarged to a shiny bronze sword with strange engravings on it. I took a few steps back, surprised by the sudden threat. Then, he said something else.

"Did you not hear me? Let that little girl go!"

I simply replied,

"No."

"What? Why?"

"Because Angel's with me."

"Angel?"

"Yes. She's part of my-," I didn't want to say 'flock' in case he was some type of eraser-kid. Instead, I said, "group."

"Whoops! I was just trying to help that girl in case you wanted to hurt her!"

Did he even know what he just said? He was the one with a giant sword!

Though this boy didn't look like an eraser, he could be one of a new generation of experiments the School created. We exchanged names and turns out he was Perseus Jackson, Percy for short. After a few more conversations, I was sure that he wasn't here to take me back to the School. 

Before I took Angel with me to go back to our temporary home, Percy asked one more question.

"Do you want to stay in our camp for a while?"

I stopped abruptly and turned around.

"What?"

He repeated. I thought this wasn't a good idea, but Angel's sweet voice came into my head. It's alright, I read his thoughts, he's not going to hurt any of us.

I didn't even realise but the whole time when we were talking, the rest of my flock had already woken up and were listening to our conversation. I agreed. Everyone cheered.

Once everyone had gathered their belongings, Percy led us past the pine tree and in front of us was the greatest sight we had witnessed in our lives. Stood in front of us was a big marble archway, with the words 'Camp Half-Blood' engraved on it. On the left were strawberry patches full of the juiciest, biggest strawberries we had ever seen. On the right was a volleyball pit, a climbing wall with lava pouring from the top and cabins arranged to make a 'U' shape.

Percy stopped in front of a building made of weatherboards and told us to stay outside while he called the camp director. A few minutes later he arrived at the door with a man. Well, not fully a man. He looked like a normal 40-year-old from the top half, but when I glanced downwards, I saw the bottom half of a pure-white horse. My mouth dropped. He was a freaking CENTAUR! Don't even ask me how I know that, I just do. His name was Chiron.

"Welcome to Camp Half-Blood."

We loved our lives at Camp Half-Blood. Chiron said we could be unclaimed demigods, so we were stuffed into the Hermes cabin, which was welcome for all travellers. Come to think of it, no one from the School had ever been seen since we arrived here. I still think we should keep our wings a secret though.

One night, we were singing songs by the large campfire. Suddenly, all movement stopped. Everyone was staring at a glowing green symbol above Angel's head. It was an owl. One by one, each of my flock was claimed by our parents, who were apparently god and goddesses.

Gazzy and Iggy were both flaming hammers, Hephaestus, which was not a surprise since they loved building bombs. Nudge's claiming was much more impressive. A dove appeared above her head and she was engulfed by a warm light. When she emerged, she had a long, flowing dress, a pair of glittering pink ballet flats and a flowery headband around her perfectly styled hair. Fang, of course, was a child of Hades with a skull surrounded by jewels.

I was the last one.

We waited for long, anxious minutes when finally, a lightning bolt appeared above my wild and tangled hair. When it faded into the air, lightning crackled around me.

In the corner of my eye, I saw that all the other campers were all but gaping as I made my way back onto one of the logs. They shuffled in their seats as if they didn't want to touch me. I was the daughter of the most powerful god, after all.

I heard Chiron shout in a loud voice,

"Hail, Angel, daughter of Athena; Gazzy and Iggy, sons of Hephaestus; Nudge, daughter of Aphrodite; Fang, son of Hades and Maximum Ride, daughter of Zeus.

I soon made lots of friends at Camp Half-Blood. My best friends were still my flock, but I was also quite close to Percy, son of Poseidon, Annabeth, daughter of Athena and Grover, who is a satyr. A satyr is someone who is a goat from the bottom half of their bodies. There's a lot of them here at Camp Half-Blood. Oh, I also met Thalia and Jason Grace, who are both my siblings.

I was glad that my flock haven't forgotten about me since they came here. Gazzy and Iggy made friends with Leo Valdez, who loved to play pranks on everyone. We've been ambushed with fake Greek Fire from all directions and had freezing water dumped on us when we were asleep. 

Nudge, of course, had all the friends she could imagine. Lots of Aphrodite kids and some other cabiners. Two of her best friends were Silena Beauregard and Piper Mclean, both from the Aphrodite cabin. Silena loves to read through fashion magazines while Nudge babbles about fashion trends and Piper likes to train with us at the arena.

Angel was the youngest and cutest so she is friends with almost everyone. She hangs around Clarisse, an Ares kids, who surprisingly treats her like a daughter like I do as well. Her best friend would probably also be Piper, who can charmspeak. The two of them could invade someone's mind very easily. Frank is also quite close to Angel. She loves to pat him when he shapeshifts into domestic animals such as cats or dogs. I can't even tell that it's him!

Of course, I can't forget about Rachel Elizabeth Dare. She's our Oracle. I was told that Rachel apparently spews out green smoke and tells prophecies every few months. I've never seen that happen, though even a super-brave person like me would've been scared out of my only pair of clean pants. Trust me, you'd think that I've been through worse than that.

Life was normal. Well, as normal as being children of gods could be. It wouldn't be normal for much longer. I was flying around the magical borders, careful not to be seen, when Chiron, the centaur and the director of the camp, blew his conch shell. Everyone gathered around the still-burning campfire. It was orange, meaning anticipation.

"We have a new quest!" Chiron announced. Everyone gasped and started murmuring to each other. He stomped his foot, I mean hoof, on the ground twice and silence fell among the crowd once more. I snuck a glance at Rachel, whose face looked rather pale. I was disappointed that I wasn't able to see this up close. Rachel spoke the prophecy once more.

The flock and demigods must unite as one,

A terrible danger they must overcome,

Magical mutant demigods until the end,

Betrayed by one who was a friend.

Once we recovered from the shock, we discussed the meaning of this prophecy. I knew that my flock and I were definitely mentioned, but we couldn't show them yet. We didn't know what the 'magical' part of the prophecy mentioned, so we decided to leave that till later. The terrible danger, well, it's probably a war, Chiron said. We thought that the person who would betray us would be Luke Castellan, but he's on our side now. Well, maybe.

After hours of listening to Chiron and the other campers talk, I decided.

I would tell them.

I asked for a room where no one could overhear us. Chiron leads Percy, Annabeth, Jason, Thalia, Nico, Leo, Frank and I into the Big House, one of the only buildings at camp that was sound-proof. I found a 14-foot space and took a deep breath.

"What I'm about to show you all will be very shocking. I hope you guys will accept me for who I really am. No, I'm not a monster" I explain to them as they bore confused faces.

Slowly, I unfurl my speckled wings. At first, they couldn't see behind my back and I'm pretty sure that Chiron was thinking that I was making them do this just for a joke, but when they glimpsed at my feathers, a collective gasp was heard. When my wings were at full length, Percy looked as if he was about to faint. Chiron was the first one to recover.

"How?" This single word pierced the silence.

I told them about the horrors of the School. I told them about running away. I told them about everything I had endured until now, where it felt like I had finally found a home. I told them about my flock and how they have stuck with me no matter what.

We walked out and I took a breath of fresh air. I made them swear on the River Styx that they would not tell anyone else unless I said so. I felt relieved that they did not think of me as a mutant freak. Instead, they treated me like I was one of them, which I actually was.

Once we exited the Big House, we saw everyone kneeling before a dark-haired woman, which I was told to be Hecate. We joined the rest of the campers and did the same.

"Rise, demigods." We all rose and sat back down on the logs. The campfire was still orange, but it was a much deeper shade, almost reaching a brown tinge. Hecate told us that this wasn't and actual quest leading to a war, but it is actually a chance for the demigod world to bond with the wizarding world.

"Wait, there are actually wizards and witches? Like the ones who fly on broomsticks and wear pointy hats?" Leo received glares from Calypso, his goddess girlfriend. Hecate informed us that this so-called 'wizarding' school was called Hogwarts, and everyone burst out laughing. I could even see that Chiron was trying to hold back a smile. We calmed down but I could still hear Leo sniggering in the background. "Pigfarts!"

It was settled. We would leave for 'Hogwarts' in the morning at 6 o'clock. Everyone included in the quest groaned. My flock and I were the only ones who were okay with this. We were used to being woken up in the early morning to do tests, back at the School. I don’t want to think about that though.

In the morning, I ran to Thalia and Jason and woke them up by giving a little shock to their faces and then I ran away so that they wouldn't hunt me down and kill me verbally. When they had recovered from the shock (see what I did there?), they walked out, but I was already eating oatmeal with yoghurt and assorted berries. I had finished and was running towards Cabin 1, but I accidentally bumped into Chiron. He stepped on my foot by accident, but I still had to jump around yelping as Chiron repeatedly apologised. He never makes mistakes, though.

Once the pain was gone, Chiron told everyone included in the quest to gather at the big house. He gave us each a ticket, which I tried to read, but failed. Frank was the only one who didn't have dyslexia, and he read the ticket as a train ticket to Platform 9 3/4. What? There's no such thing as Platform 9 3/4? Well, I guess we'll have to find out when we get to Kings Cross Station.

We arrived at the section between Platforms 9 and 10, just to see that there was nothing in between. Then, we hear people talking about muggles and the very platform we were looking for. Phew! Chiron, in his magical wheelchair, left, and we approached the people. They all had fiery red hair and freckles decorating every inch of their faces. The woman that looked like the mother told us to run into the wall between Platforms 9 and 10. Was this a joke? There was only one way to find out. We ran into the wall one at a time, but surprisingly, there wasn't a crash.

In front of us was a sign that said 'Platform 9 3/4.

When we boarded the train, we found an empty compartment for 18 people. We already had Percy, Annabeth, Grover, Leo, Piper, Hazel, Jason, Thalia, Nico, Me, Nudge, Iggy, Fang, Gazzy and Angel. There were 3 seats left. A few minutes later, the boy from the family with fiery red hair poked his head in and asked if they could join us because there were no other compartments they could fit in. As the generous people we are, we let them in. 

There were so many people that even the introductions took 20 minutes!

"I am Percy Jackson. I am called Seaweed Brain by Annabeth, Kelp Head by Thalia and Aquaman by everyone else."

"I am Annabeth Chase. I am called Wise Girl and Annie by Percy only and Owl Head by Thalia."

I am Grover Underwood. I am called G-man by Percy and Goat Boy by Annabeth."

"I am Leo Valdez, but you guys can call me Super Sized McShizzle!!" He flashed one of his McShizzle smiles and all of us rolled our eyes to the ceiling. "I am called Repair Boy to everyone and I also call myself Bad Boy Supreme."

"I am Piper McLean." A girl with bushy hair gasped. "Yes, my dad is Tristan McLean. I am called Beauty Queen by everyone and Pipes by Jason."

" I am Hazel Levesque. I am rarely called anything else but sometimes I'm called Miss Metal Detector."

"I am Jason Grace. I am called Sparky by everyone and sometimes Superman."

I am Thalia, just Thalia. If you insist, I am Jason's sister. I am called Pinecone Face by everyone and Pinecone Grace by anyone who has a death wish." She glared at Nico in particular.

" I am Nico di Angelo. I am called Death Breath by everyone and Neeks by my boyfriend, who did not come with us."

" I am Maximum Ride."

" I am Nudge, but I don't have a last name."

" I am Iggy, I'm blind and I also don't have a last name."

" I am Fang. I am Max's boyfriend so my last name could be Ride."

" I am Gazzy or the Gasman."

"I am Angel. I'm the youngest of all of you but I can fight really well."

It was the other people's turns.

" I am Ronald Weasley, but you can call me Ron." The boy with fiery red hair said.

" I am Hermione Granger." The girl with bushy brown hair said.

" I am Harry Potter. I am the savior of the wizarding world and I am famous." He puffed out his chest and winked at Annabeth, who was looking very irritated.

"Are we supposed to know you?" I asked. Hermione and Ron gasped.

"You don't know who he is?"

"Nope. Well, you seem kinda annoying."

Harry POV

How could they not know who I am? That Max girl, I think she's a Death Eater! All of them probably are! Except for Annabeth, she's really pretty. I don't think she's taken, so I'll ask her out sometime.

Sorting Hat POV

Ahh! Another year at Hogwarts! Things were quite complicated last year. I'm glad that the seventh year students can come back and learn for another year.

Third Person

The first years and the demigods in disguise were led to the entrance of Hogwarts by a half-giant named Hagrid.

"Thank you Hagrid, I can take them from here." Professor McGonagall said.

The new students arrived in the Dining Hall and Professor Dumbledore addressed the new 'exchange students'. Then, it was time for the Sorting.

Percy POV

Lots of people were sorted. After a few people were sorted, our ADHD started to kick in. I was fidgeting with my pen, Riptide in disguise. Finally, it was our turn to be sorted.

"Di Angelo, Nico." 

The hat screamed. " GRYFFINDOR! TAKE ME OFF IMMEDIATELY!"

"Valdez, Leo."

"Oh wow, you've been through a lot." The hat said out loud.

"McLean, Piper." People gasped and craned their necks to get a better look at Piper.

"Gryffindor!" Not much of a dramatic response, but the Gryffindor table cheered very loudly, probably because they had Tristan McLean's daughter in their house.

This went on until it was me and Annabeth's turn. Every one of my friends was in Gryffindor.

"Chase, Annabeth." I saw the Harry Potter guy wink at her. I was fuming.

Annabeth was about to have the hat placed on her head when it screamed,

"NO! NO! SHE HAS BEEN THROUGH TOO MUCH! HOW ARE YOU STILL SANE!?

"Jackson, Perseus." Now they're calling me by my full name. I do not like that.

"Just Percy will be fine, Professor."

I only walked three steps and it seemed like the hat could already see my memories.

"DO NOT GET ANY NEARER TO ME! YOU SHOULD HAVE GONE INSANE FROM WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN THROUGH! YOU HAVE GONE THROUGH MUCH MORE THAN EVEN THE BOY WHO LIVED! GRIFFINDOOOR!!"

I was getting stares from nearly everyone, plus one glare from the Potter person.

Finally, the food came. In the hallway, I could hear distant sobbing and Professor McGonagall trying to calm it down.

"It's okay, hattie, shh, calm down, please!"

Harry POV

It's not fair! Annabeth just told me that her boyfriend was that annoying Jackson guy. There's no way that they have gone through more than me. I bet that they cursed the sorting hat or something! They even say that they have nightmares just to have a room for all the exchange students! I'll bet 100 Galleons that they're all Death Eaters, except for Annabeth.

Ron, Hermione and I are planning to ask them about who they really are. I wake up at 7 am the next morning and wait for the exchange students to come down to go to breakfast. They never came. I waited for a bit, but they seemed to not come down.

Finally, I gave up and walked to breakfast. My mouth dropped as I saw them all chatting in a different language. That's why I didn't see them come down!

Defense Against the Dark Arts (DADA) - Third Person

The seventh-years lined up in front of the DADA classroom. Today, they were studying Boggarts. Boggarts are creatures that take the form of our greatest fears. The students were told to line up in front of 2 locked closets, which were trembling slightly. Then, Professor Lupin flicked his wand and the doors flew open.

The Demigods POV

The other wizards' fears were mostly about this guy with green skin and no nose. We, of course, had faced much bigger challenges than this weird person. We burst out laughing each time we saw this guy, who was supposedly called Voldemort. Seriously, they have an unhealthy obsession with barn animals and skin conditions.

"How can you be laughing at him? He's VOLDEMORT! He killed hundreds of people! I am the one who stopped him, and you guys are probably Death Eaters!" Harry the annoying shouted at no particular person in general. As usual, we laughed even harder at the words 'Death Eater'.

"Who would want to eat Thanatos?" Leo was crying with laughter now. Of course, we were probably the only ones who knew who Thanatos was.

"You even have the Dark Mark on your forearms! Explain that!" Harry had a smug look on his face. That was just our Roman SPQR burn. We showed him and the whole class. The expression on Harry's face was priceless! He muttered something and we went back to work. 

Annabeth POV

Finally, it was my turn to face the Boggart. Oh no. The moment I stepped in front of it, the creature changed shape to me and Percy trudging through Tartarus and drinking liquid fire again, and tears were threatening to pour out of my eyes. I shouted the magic word and it disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Percy POV

Potions class. I walked in and I saw a very familiar face. Of course, the teacher was a son of Hecate and often visits Camp Half-Blood! I hear a shout beside me, and I knew that the other demigods recognized him as well. Severus Snape.

"SEVVY!! SEVVY!!" We ran forward and went to give 'Professor Snape' a hug. Everyone choked on their spit. I guess Snape isn't known for his kindness in his classes.

Harry POV

What just happened? The last thing I heard was someone shouting 'Sevvy' and then Percy ran forward and gave Snape a hug! I almost choked! Well, Snape's going to kill him now. To my surprise, Snape patted him on the back and the pulled apart. Then, they started to talk in a different language. Probably a language the Death Eaters made.