The Loss | Teen Ink

The Loss

April 12, 2021
By RimParker SILVER, Mobile, Alabama
More by this author
RimParker SILVER, Mobile, Alabama
7 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note:

This peice was just put together one evening! I ove writing things with cliff-hangers, and this is certainly no exception.

“Jameson stop! That tickles” Giggles erupted and spewed from the young girls mouth. “I’m not kidding! I’ll get my father!” He kept on. She ended up wiggling herself out, before placing a cupped hand up to her mouth. A true threat. “No! My father mustn't know!” He screamed. They both went silent, which wasn’t including their eyes. They race back and forth, waiting for the call from a suspicious parent.  
None of which seemed to come.  
“Princess Ariela, why are you so ticklish? You are six years old and need to grow up!” A frown drew itself across her face. “Prince Jameson of Kandry, why are you so annoying? You are seven years old and need to stop being so adultish.” A stare was all that remained from the battle. The silence was only shaken when he jumped up from his position and chased the girl through a small outlet of wood.  
 
“I am going to get you!” He cried. “Not in a-million years!” Her small legs flew behind her, and thin auburn hair drape a cape behind her shoulders. She adorned a bright rose and sunflower dress, which fit her just right. He ended up catching up to her, and they collapsed over a log, laying folded in front of a cliff. After a few seconds, squeaky giggles began once more, and they rolled themselves over. 
 
He elbowed her. “I got you.” She gave him a look. “Well, I’ll get you next time.” Once, again, giggles were the pattern of their conversations. “Look,” she said. “You see the mountain over there, just across the valley?” “Yeah, why?” “I am going to build a castle there one day. It will be the most beautiful castle you have ever seen. He chuckled. “Really? I bet you I can build an even better castle.” “Nope.” “Yup.” “Nope.”  

Ariela 
“This is a mighty place you got here Ariela.” I gave him a look. “Jameson, your castle is coming on pretty nicely.” he guffawed. “I still have more to do too! I will add state of the art artillery, and a pool, and the biggest library ever.” I gazed out the window, which was outlined by the most expensive draperies you might ever be able to make. “Sounds good. Not great.” Our eyes met, before we absolutely unloaded on each other with insults on best friends could throw. She felt a tap on her shoulder. 
 
“Your majesty?” She whirled herself around. “Oh, yes! Hello!” It was lord Garrison from the Goudyn kingdom. He was a round, plump man, with an amazing mustache. “This is an astonishing place you have here! Only the finest of elements all through-out. How did you do it?” “Well to start off, my parents left me all of their finances, along with every other relative in this royal family of mine.” He nodded with an accepting look on his face. 
 
“Well, I guess when you are princess Ariela of Trambidore, you can do this.” I laughed. “I guess.” I thought back. It wasn’t just the fact that this place had more gold than any mine for miles, or that it had the largest collection of raw elements, or that it had five floors, it was the fact that I had promised it to my best friend probably twenty years ago now. I turned back around to James, with my knees slightly bent. I could feel he was uncomfortable. It was no secret that he had some grudge against me for being able to do this all on my own, while he was still trying to grow in the shadow of his parents. 
“Look, I am sure your castle will be ten-times as grand as this. Even more!” He looked off to the side with a frustrated look. “I know, I know. At this point, if my parents drop dead by the end of this week, you know why.” I let out a sigh. “Ok then!” 
 
A few weeks later 
 
“There Is someone at the door for you, ma’am.” I turned around, only to see Rhodes, my servant, standing there. “Thank you, Rhodes.” My dress trails behind me as I trot to the door. As it creaks open, James stands in front of me, a smile pasted on from ear to ear. “Ariela! I have so much to tell you.” His energy is contagious. “Well come in!” We sit down at the breakfast table and have cups of tea. “My parents are both sick, and it doesn't look good.” His smile still remained. “But Jame...” There is more! The king of Chestbrook, King Swallen, offered to help me financially if I gave over my kingdom to him to join together!”  
 
My heart stood still. King Swallen was not a guy to mess with . Every time he allied with someone, they ran dry and eventually died from getting too over confident in battle. “James! Your parents worked for years to get that many men! They haven't even died yet!” He looked bewildered. “I thought you would be happy for me!” He stood up, and began to march to the door. “James! I just want what is best for you!” He whirls around, steam practically rising from his tomato ears. 
 
“You are not happy for me!” You just want to be better than me and I know it!” He stomped out, not to be seen for months later. 
 
 
James  
I ran around my newly built castle, wondering if Ariela would be happy for me know. I now had the largest army around, as well as an even bigger castle. I stared out the window at her grand castle, trying to conjure up things I had better than it. She was the only competition I had at this point. I scoffed. Upon a startled jump, Mr. Swallen cuffed his hands around my bony shoulders. He always told me, “Real men get their food from another’s life, not their own.” 
 
 He whispered in my ear, “We will be the most powerful of all before you know it. We will slaughter her and her servants to the point she will be nothing else other than a faint memory.” My heart ached, which I couldn’t placed the reason. At that moment, I felt the hunger. The pain. I felt it all, but swallowed it down. No time for hesitation. I flung myself to face him. “Yes sir. Whatever you wish.” He gave me a commanding glance. “Good. Now, go clean my gun.” “But, sir...” Oh no. I had It coming. His belt rose up, and down it came upon my frail bones. I already had a splint on my right knee, lest anything else help.  
 
Although it hurt, I knew it was all for my own good. He kept telling me that.  
 
Ariela 
My heart ached for James. He was brainwashed! That’s what Swallen always does to his victims. I needed to intervene. Before I knew it, I was knocking on the grand castle doors of Swallen Kandry Castle. 
“Who is...” A Servant answered the door. “i am so sorry to bother! May I please speak to Prince Jameson? This is urgent.” His eyes were wider than a hundred-year-old tree trunk. “Right this way Ms. Ariela.” I had a cloak on, which concealed my auburn hair. I sat myself on a posh sofa, which was adorned with authentic animal fur. I pondered how many had been killed to make this, until a figure comes into my point of view. 
“Ariela? Why, how much money do you want. I have a thousand right here!” He pulled out a few rolls of cash. I think he could tell by the way I gave him that look I wasn’t here for the cash. “You’ve changed, James. You aren’t my best friend who was at the party just a few months ago.” 
He locked his eyes on mine, time for attack. He spoke through closed teeth, while bits of saliva managed to escape. Anger was bubbling. “That was a mistake!” He bolted out of the room. This is war.  
 
 
James 
I couldn’t stand seeing Ariela. I had no idea who this man was she was talking about. I know we were best friends and all, but that seems like one-hundred years ago. I can’t believe I ever even sat in the same room with that girl. We’ve already made sure to start training our army in an invasion. I picked my head up, and headed out of the room. 
King Swallen was waiting for me in the dining room. I was poured a drink. A very strong drink. “Sit down, lad.” I grunted in anger. “I am not a lad, Mr. Swallen! I am a man!” Anger weaved itself through my veins and intertwined with my bones.  
“Take a seat, James.” I took a seat, and was immediately awoken with a drink refill. A servant brought him a very nicely cooked duck, which would hit the spot right about now. I can’t remember the last time I had eaten. I turn to the servant at my side. “Uhhh... Do you know where the menu is?” Swallen lets out an evil chuckle. “You won't be eating tonight.” ”Come on! I’m starving!” He yells out with most terror seeking voice. “You are becoming a man! I have already been one, and am devoting my time to make you one. You should be more than thankful.”  
Deep breath in, and out. “You get to have drinks, too.” I chugged the rest of the whisky in my glass, promptly asking for more. I find that I am a better person with it. Ever since I met King Swallen, I haven’t gone a day without it. He acts as though this outburst never happened. “We are launching an invasion in a few days, and I want you there with the army, you know, to hold the fort down.” 
“Sir, we are sitting in the fort I have to hold down. You can’t make me go when I am not ready. I havent even been trained for battle other than those extreme fencing lesson you gave me.” He waves his hand as if pushing the problem away. “You will be fine.“  I almost choke on the anxiety in my throat. 
 
Ariela 
It was a cool, foggy day when ai noticed the troops storming down the mountain side. I knew who it was, but was almost too fearful to realize. “Rhodes?” “Yes your majesty?” “Prepare all of our troops and send them down. We will need it.” “But ma’am, they just...” “I know; send them.” he sounded nervous. “Yes ma’am, right away.” 
My heart ached as I could see our troops coming to meet, just before they began to reek havoc on each other. It was so hard to watch. The fog made good cover behind the drapes. I began to drink some tea to cool my nerves. Rhodes came back after a few hours. “Ma’am, they need you in command, they are losing.” “I’ll be there.” In a seconds notice, she was speeding down the hill in her carriage, trying to stay hidden. She carried herself behind a rock jutting. 
After a few minutes, there was silence. “I know you are there, Ariela. You can come out now. This is what I have been waiting for.” I released myself from my prison of fear. This was it. We began a hand-on-hand sword battle.Stab here, stab there, it lasted all too long. Eventually, I de-armed him, and now I was double fisted. We were so close I could smell the alcohol in his breath.  
“Look, I know you wont want to here this from me, but it has to be said. I lost a best friend when you sided with Swallen. I lost James, the man who helped build this great castle behind me, who has now built an even greater façade. You are a drunk now James! This man starves you and beats you! He is just chewing you up and spitting you out like he does to all his allies.” 
He  blinked for a second, before removing a piece of hair from infront of his eyes. “You are right. You always were. I don’t remember myself, much less last night. I need you.” I dropped my swords, and stepped closer to him, where his hand cusped my jaw line. “I love you.” His thin frail lips met mine, and I wasn’t mad. I kept it going. I had never looked at him like this, but now it all made sense. 
He lets out a breath, which I suspected to be just relaxing. When I turned, Swallen was right behind him, oulling out a knife was his wounded flesh. James fell down at my feet, and I follow suit. Removing the hair from his face, I couldn’t stand the thought of losing him. 
“James, James, James, don’t leave me!” I look up to a smirking king. “You are evil!” he tumbles down, and I can only see James, weilding all his strength to hold his sword, and take out King Swallen. I begin laughing and rejoicing, only to find out i had lost the love of my life and best friend at the same time.  
 
 
 
 



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.