Linger | Teen Ink

Linger

September 30, 2012
By ace122 GOLD, Newark, New Jersey
More by this author
ace122 GOLD, Newark, New Jersey
10 articles 2 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The people who have walked in the darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in the land of the shadow of death, upon them a great light has shined."


Author's note: Sorry if it's a little... weird... I'm still trying to improve it.

The author's comments:
Prologue

Dear whoever this may concern,

Hello there… my name… not very important right now. All you need to know is that this book is all about a girl… well two girls, they are my true loves… but which one is my soul mate? You see I just met one a short while ago, but one I have just found after looking for her for years. Which girl do I pick you ask? Well it’s kind of hard to say, but the girls are absolutely amazing! I can’t quite figure out which one I truly am to love, for eternity… so as you can see it is quite hard to decide.

Hmm… my old lover or a new heart fresh and young? Why is it so hard? Oh my pour reader, I’m so sorry to mix you up in this twisted love triangle that may turn into a square, but then back into a triangle. Doesn’t this sound weird? If you answered yes, I truly feel your pain! So I’m not going to hold you up any longer. Now you will read the story of a girl, who’s heart was swayed by a crafty young man. You shale read the story of the word linger…

Love


A confused young man, who truly needs the help…

“All aboard!” I hear the conductor yell at the top of his lungs, followed by a rush a feet; either trying to rush onto the train at the last second or trying find a quick seat before the train was to pull off. I on the other hand was smart, awhile before the train was set to go I found a seat in a nice quite area in the back of the train and waited patiently. When the scuffling and squeaks stopped, even though I had never been on a train before I knew that the train doors were closed and that the train was going to pull off any second.


I as a sixteen year old girl was quiet used to going places by myself, but today I was doing something a lot different than walking down the street to the corner store and back. I was going miles and miles away from my home, to a completely different part of England! I was going from my hometown of London to a small unknown part of England, it’s called Morbidon. Yes, the name may sound funny, but the town matches its name. Well all I knew about it at that time was that I would be going to school there and I had to take a train to get to the town.


At that moment I remember my mom and dad asking if they should come with me to the school… I told them I would be fine on my own but, now I wished that I hadn’t said that… It felt so weird on the train by myself, I just didn’t feel comfortable. Especially because I was going to a new part of the country, to an odd school that I just heard about a few days ago, but I knew I had to be tough and brave the new school and all its danger. I just hoped that its dangers weren’t that dangerous.


I looked at my watch… a few hours had gone by since I boarded the train, but it felt like days… probably because of how nervous I was. I was crying into my pillow the night before this… I truly, with all my heart did not want to go to this odd school, probably full of stuck up preps and snobby rich kids, it just… didn’t appeal to me. Oh, who am I kidding! I did want to go, to that school… I was just scared that I wouldn’t have any friends there. My family isn’t exactly rich… and being around all those wealthy kids… would seem intimidating.


I started to fall asleep on the train, I knew that if I did fall asleep I’d miss my stop, so I had to find something to preoccupy myself with so I could stay awake. I looked around; there were a lot of kids in the same uniform as me maybe they were from the same school… and maybe they’re nice. So I decided to be bold and go over and sit by one of them and try to make a friend. I looked around last time, to see who looked nice. This one girl by a window in the front of the car seemed pretty friendly, everyone else in a uniform was talking to her, so I went over to say hello.

I took in a deep breath and went in for the kill. “Hi. My name is Primrose and I’m a freshman here. What about you?” I said with a small smirk. The girl turned around. She had very big eyes! She was so cute… she looked like she was about eight years old.

“Here? What do you mean? Which school?” She asked, the girl had such a quiet voice.

“Morbidon preparatory school for young ladies.” I replied. The girl looked at me in a weird way. She then turned up her nose and walked off. I was a little offended until I saw the seal on her the back of her shirt… she was from a rival school. I felt so stupid… so I just walked back to my seat, on the way I saw that girl and some other laughing and talking (probably about me). When I got back to my seat I saw that there was another girl sitting there. She had a similar uniform on; I wonder if it was the same one. “Umm excuse me… you’re sitting in my seat. Can you… um… please move over…” I asked trying to be as polite as I could. She looked up at me for a quick moment the picked up the book on her lap and started to read. I was so fed up with these snobs already… I couldn’t let them push me around… so I just said what was on my mind.

“Hey, look I was sitting there first okay! Just because you have money and stuff doesn’t mean you can push others around! So go back to where you were sitting before!” I crossed my arms. She put the book down, got up and walked away. I felt quite satisfied. Right before I sat down the train stopped. It was my stop! So I got off the train along with a hundred other girls in all different uniforms.

Okay… what now was the first thing to cross my mind. All the other girls were hanging around the train station… was I suppose to do that to, or go to the school? I didn’t know at all… so I just played it by ear… I walked out of the train station… and just haled the first cab I saw. It was so clean inside the cab… it looked new. “Where to miss?” the young cabbie asked.

“Morbidon preparatory academy, please” I respond. He got really quite for a moment then started the cab. I was lucky I caught this cab! It started to rain a few minutes after the cab drove off! “So do you know anything about the school?” I asked. He didn’t say anything… I could see him through his mirror… his expression was bleak, dim and scared.

“I can take you a few blocks away from the school, but that’s the closes I’ll get. I can tell you the directions of how to get there from where I drop you off.” He bleakly replied. It shocked me. Why did he seem so scared? Why couldn’t he drop me off at the school? I opened my mouth to ask him these questions, but… something told me asking wouldn’t be the right thing to do. So I sat there quiet and dim eyed like him, and just stared at the soft downpour of rain gently tapping at the windshield of the cab. I kept looking at him… his expression stay exactly the same through the entire ride. Quiet, dim and lifeless… the closer we got to the school the paler his face got… he was making me scared.


I was about to go crazy for the awkward silence in the tiny little cab, but before I could he stopped the ride. “You’re about two block away from the school… this is as far as I can take you, sorry ma’ am.” He said his face now paler than ever. I got out and he told me how to get there, but stopped me before I could walk off. “Wait… just know… that… some people…who are at that school… aren’t suppose to be there. Rumors are starting to spread around town… tha-… oh never mind… you’ll see. Goodbye miss.” I heard him muffle something under his breath before he drove off. Still to this day I wonder what it was. It sounded like a warning of some type, but I can’t be sure.


I watched him turn around and go in the other direction of the school. It was kind of foggy out, so once he got to a certain point in the road, it looked like he had disappeared. All right I think, now how did the cabbie say I could get to the school? Go right up the street, I remember him saying, you’ll see a big old, gothic looking sign, that’s how you know you’re there. So I did exactly that, I walked right up the street and ended up next to a cemetery looking gate and a sign that read:
Morbidon Preparatory Academy For Young Ladies


I was there. I looked up and through I could see the faint silhouette of the school. It was… humongous, an old gothic looking place. They say that it used to be a house, but something happen and now… it’s a school. I didn’t waste much time staring at the gothic beauty of the place, I picked up my heavy bags and lugged my luggage into the creepy school. I pushed open the elaborately designed door and stepped in to the main hall. My jaw dropped, when I looked around, the bags even dropped from my hand (but it was probably from the weight).


There were beautiful black and white marble tile on the floor and a huge fire place in back of a small desk. There were giant round stairs on both sides of the fireplace. The stairs led up to these doors right above the fireplace, and there were long rows of door going left and right behind me. I didn’t know what to do next so I pulled my bags and leaned them up against the tiny oak desk. I looked around… any of those doors could be the administrators office… so… what do I do? Do I knock on every door until I find the Principal? I didn’t know… the hall was so quiet I was afraid to move from my spot, thinking I would break such beautiful silence. If I didn’t move I would probably be there until the next day, so I stud up and peered left and right down the long hallway of doors… no one.

“Just what do you think you’re doing young lady?!” A shrill voice came from behind me. I turned to see a very tall, slim, young looking women standing right in front of me. She had long blond hair, curly, flowing, a pink suit on and the coldest looking redish brown colored eyes. “Why are you standing in the hallway looking around?” She asked. Her presence was so intimidating and so scary it was hard for me to speak.

I hesitated for a moment then choked out the words “I… me… umm… I… my name is Primrose Watterson and I’m new here… I don’t know where to go.” She scowled at me for a moment then gave a very fake looking smile.

“Ah yes… Primrose… the scholarship girl with my name. Well my name is Pricilla Primrose and I am the head master of the school, but you dear child shale call me Head Master Primrose.”

She had such a despicable smile on her face and seemed so proud… a regular rich snob! I had only been here for about five minutes and already I wanted to head home. “Well enough dilly-dally; you are in dorm room twelve. Please go put your things away and hurry into the dining hall and join the other girls for lunch and orientation. Its right down the hall to the right… couldn’t miss it. Goodbye.” She said, then walked off. Okay I was in dorm twelve… now how do I get there? I decided to walk up the long stairs and head for one of the doors.

I did the eni-mene-mini-mo thing and it ended up on the door to the left. So I climbed the stairs and to my luck, the left door was right. The doors were clearly marked… dorm room 1, dorm room 2, dorm room 3, and so on and so forth. I walked down the carped hall until I got to dorm room twelve. I pushed open the old door and the room revealed itself to me. A nice looking place, there we’re three small, canopy type beds. They had a translucent white curtain on each bed (in case you wanted some privacy). The floors were made of a soft grey looking wood and the walls had a darker grey paint on them… it was a pretty bleak looking room… but it was still pretty.

I walked inside and looked around, then put my stuff in the little night stand next to the bed closet to the door. Okay… stuff put up… now to head down stairs I thought. I walked out the door and into the dimly lit hallway, then back down the stairs to the main hallway. I was very late for orientation… but I still had to go anyway, so I headed for the dining hall. The principal was right; the dining hall was very hard to miss. At the very end of the right hall there was a set of double doors that led right into the dining hall.


I pushed open the two huge wooden doors and peered inside. The place was beautiful; there were long rows of tables and gorgeous chandlers over each table. I really felt like I was rich, when I looked around this school. Every seat seemed to be full, I looked around and all I saw were girls from about eight years old to seventeen sitting, laughing and talking… they seemed to be enjoying themselves, and they seemed so used to the décor. I took one more quick looked around, then out of the corner of my eye I saw what looked like a completely empty table. When I got closer I saw that there was one lone girl sitting there, quietly read a book, paying no attention to anyone around her.

Why don’t I go sit by her? I thought. She seems quiet. So once again I was going to make a bold move and try to make a friend. I walked over to the table, put the most realistic smile I could on my face and went in for the kill. “Hi ther-.” was all that escaped my mouth when I looked at the girl’s face. It was that snooty girl from the train. Oh great, now I’ll have to sit by her. I sat down in the chair a cross from her then gently folded my hands on the table (a nervous reaction). “Hi… my name is Primrose, you remember me from the train right?” I said. She didn’t look up, she just kept on reading. “Umm… speaking o-of the train… I’m sorry for… ah… what I said… I was just kind of nervous, as all…” I managed to stammer out.

This time the girl looked up, shrugged her shoulders and then went back to her reading. “So… what’s your name?” I asked. Silence… she said not a word… the only sound was the talking and laughter of the girls behind me. I started to twiddle my thumbs, I couldn’t stand silence for a very long time… it made me antsy and fidgety… it just made me feel weird. The girl looked up one more time and scowled, then put the book down on the tabled and stared at me. She stared deeply at me, as if she were trying to see my very soul. She didn’t blink! She stared at me in a way that I didn’t know someone could. I felt utterly paralyzed by her gaze! It felt as if she stared at me for hours, when not even minutes had gone by.

“Hey… you’re still sitting here? Gosh, when will you people stop making fun of me? Just go sit over there by you’re rich preppy friends alright… leave me to my reading.” She said, then picked up the book again.

“Friends?” I ask. “Oh, no I don’t have any friends at the school… it’s my first day here and… people don’t seem to like me very much.” I say. The girl then looked up at me and scowled once again.


“You don’t have any friends?” She started. “Well to bad for you! Go away now!” She snapped. I told her that I wanted to be friends with her and she laughed. She said she didn’t want friends… I didn’t ask her why. I just put my head down… feeling somewhat disappointed. “… but… if it’s a name you want… fine. The name’s Violet and I’m in dorm room twelve. Happy?” I shot up.

“I’m in dorm room twelve!” I gladly announce. Violet rolls her eyes and sucks her teeth, then simply tucks her head in that book. I was actually looking forward to something at this school now! Hey maybe Violet and I could be good friends, crossed my mind. Lots of thing crossed my mind at that moment. I had finally met someone with an okay attitude at that school for snotty rich kids!


Clink, chink, clink; went the glass of one of the ladies sitting at a very long table, on a small rise up all the rest of the tables. One of the ladies sitting second to the middle was tapping on her glass; she then stood up and gave a half hearted smile to the crowd of girls below her. “Good afternoon everyone… and welcome to Morbidon academy for young ladies. I am the Vice Principal of the school Mrs.Caradon. I hope that all of you beautiful young women will enjoy your learning experience at… our… lovely… school…” she said, as her voice trailed off.

Apparently, the school not only had a stuck up Principal, but the Vice Principal was just as stuck up. She looked pretty stuck up too. She looked a lot older than the Principal; she looked as if she were in her early forty’s and had an “old lady” bun in her hair. Mrs.Caradon was a tall, skinny , almost boney woman and she had the creepiest gray eyes and an even faker smile than the Principal… even though she had a much warmer voice. Every teacher and administrator had on the same long black gown.

Violet rolled her eyes and sucked her teeth at pretty much every word of Mrs.Caradon speech. She didn’t seem to like her very much. I didn’t know why, but Violet did seem like the type who didn’t care much for authority. Her hair was the same color as her name, a deep violet. She had black streaks running through her hair too. Violet had glassy looking purple eyes and wore many different accessories on her uniform to make herself stand out. She had the thickest amount of eyeliner on and light purple lipstick. Many would say she had a punk rock look or gothic… but I just thought she wanted to be unique.


When the Vice Principal had finished talking, she told everyone to head up to their homerooms to meet their homeroom teachers. Girls started pouring out of the large dining hall in small cliques it looked like. I stood up too and was about to go to my homeroom too. A few days before I was supposed go to school, they mailed my class list to me and a lot of other information. I walked over to the big wooden doors when most of the girls had walked out, but I felt a cold hand on my shoulder, so I looked up. It was Mrs.Caradon.

“Hello there, you’re miss Primrose I believe aren’t you?” She asked. I nodded; her presence was a lot less intimidating then Ms.Primrose. “Well welcome to the school Prim. You are a scholarship student correct?” I nodded once again. “Well at this school, we believe since you are unable to pay in monetary units, you can pay with your time and effort… so all the scholarship students normally set up for the teachers breaking bread time after class.” She said with the horrible fake smile on her face. I looked around; Violet and I were the last people left. Mrs.Caradon nodded to me, then walked out of the room with her nose in the air.

I felt quiet offended, but Violet simply got up, picked up some cups and put them on the teachers tabled. “You can put out the plates.” she said then walked through the doors. I was a bit confused… but I did what she said. I got these very elaborately designed plates from a cabinet in the back of the dining hall and set each one next to every cup Violet had put out. When I was done, I felt like I had been somewhat belittled, but I was glad that it was over… only a few more years of this… I thought. I was so ready to get out of that room… I was so happy when my head poked out of those two huge wooden doors and into the beautiful hall way! Now just one question… where was my homeroom class?

I looked at the sheet of paper that showed my class schedule and it said I was in room 3 for homeroom… but where was that room? I looked around, the hall was quiet and bare… everyone else had gone happily to their classes and I was left alone, in the quiet… dim… empty… hallway. “There you are! Took you long enough! Why in the world were you the last person to come out of the dining hall?” I hear from behind me. I turn around happily thinking it was Violet but, when I finally took a look at who it was, I was fairly disappointed.

It was a little girl. She looked between the ages of eight and ten years old, and she was very short. I was quiet short for my age but this little girl… she came up to only about my hip. She had messy, thick, curly red hair falling all over her face and shoulders. Her lips were like fresh apples, bright shinny red and her eyes were a hazel color. She had numerous freckles on her face and bright rosy chicks… and she was quiet boney. “What’s up with ya’ new high school girls? You guys take so long to get places its crazy, now me; I would never take a billion minutes to walk out of the dining hall and into the hallway!” She said, talking at an amazingly fast pace.

I was once again, very confused. “Umm… who are you… and why were you waiting for me to come into the hallway?” I asked.

“You don’t know? Oh yeah! You’re new… sorry for the confusion. I’m Mary Lae, but most of mah’ friends call me ginger, ‘cause of ‘mah orange hair and freckles. I’m a part of the welcoming comity.” She said with her thick Scottish accent. “You are Primrose, aren’t ‘ya?

“Yes, I am Primrose; it’s very nice to meet you Mar- Ginger.” I say.

“Oh it doesn’t matter what ya’ call me… but it does matter that we’re a wee bit late for ‘omeroom girly! So enough chit-chat, what room are ya’ in, ‘cause we gota’ get a movin’. I told Ginger my homeroom and before she said anything she shot up the stair with her arms out to the side and started to make airplane noises. She stopped at the top of the stairs and looked at me with a confused expression. “Well come on! Ey what be wrong with ya’? Come on! I’m starting ta’ think that ya’ want to be late for class!”

I shrugged my shoulders then hurried up the stairs behind her. She joyfully skipped to the door on the right of the stairs pushed it open and I followed her from a safe distance. Ginger seemed so peppy, just so full of joy and energy. She must love going to school here… I thought as Ginger skipped past many different doors, still making airplane noises. Wonder if classes are actually fun here? Ginger stopped at the end of the hallway and put her hands on her hips. “Well what be wrong with ya’? You’re walking so slow! Come on get ‘er but movin’!” She called with a wide smile fixed on her face.

That was actually the most realistic smile had had seen at that school yet. She was a very happy girl… I wondered why… she just seemed so energetic. Ginger pushed open a door at the end of the hallway and it revealed a set of spiral stairs, they we’re made of the oddest looking wood, they looked so old… I didn’t want to walk up there. The hall was barley lit and it smelled of rotting wood. She was perpetual energy pod, she would never run out of energy, at least that’s what I thought.

Ginger headed up the stairs, I hesitated for a moment then followed her up the creepy looking stairwell. “Umm… Mary…”

“Call me Ginger.”

“Well… Ginger… are you sure we’re going the right way?”

“Yep. You are in high school right? All the high school lessons are held up stairs on the second floor.”

“Oh… just checking…” I was so nervous… I was not good with creepy things… and this hallway was downright horrifying . We got to the top of the stairs and Ginger pushed open a wooden door that led into a long hall with doors marked with numbers, it was a pretty hallway and very well lit. The floor were made a deep brown colored wood and the walls had beautiful molding on them.

“Oki doky, here you are! Just look for the room with the number three on it, and ya’ should be fine!” Ginger said. I started to walk off, but Ginger caught my leg before I could really get anywhere. “Wait… It was really fun showin’ ya’ to your class… anything else ya’ need you can come and find me! I’ll help ya’ out! What dorm room are ya’ in again?”

“Dorm room 12. Thanks for showing me to my class Ginger!” I say in a sweet tone. She waved then skipped off. Ginger seemed nice, but I really didn’t want to get that close to her. She just seemed so needy, and so clinging and kind of weird. I shook off that thought for a while and went up the hallway until I found a room with the number “3” written on it. I took a deep breath, then opened up the door. I looked around and everyone was quietly writing, not even me opening the door disturbed them.

“Oh, and who are you dear child?” The teacher called from her desk.

“I’m Primrose Watterson. I believe this is my homeroom class. I say. She smiled a sweet smile, a real smile. She was a short woman, with long, straight blond, whitish blond hair. She looked very young, like she was my age. Her skin was very pale and her eyes we’re a honey brown color. Her lips were pink and so were her cheeks. She was slim and very innocent looking.

“Oh well welcome sweetie. It’s very nice to meet you, but I’m afraid that you’re quiet late, I would give you a demerit slip… but it’s the first day of school! Everyone’s a little off today, including me! So please just take a seat anywhere you like, time is almost over for this assignment, so please just relax until everyone is finished.” She said, her voice was so quiet and gentle… she reminded me of that first girl I talked to on the train, glassy eyed and innocent looking. I took a seat in the back next to a girl with light brown hair; I couldn’t see her face because she was writing.

I sat there looking around the room; apparently this was the literacy class, writing to be exact. There were posters of different parts of speech and word mechanics all over the room. It was quite cheerier in there, than the rest of the school. It felt as if I were in a different place when I was in there. The floors we’re covered in quant light blue tile and the walls had a bubbly blue paint on them, fairly new looking. The feel of the room might have been a lot more cheery, if everyone didn’t seem as concerned in their work as they were.


“Okay class, time is up! Please pass your papers forward.” The women at the desk said. I wondered what she had them doing. I got a glimpse of a title on one of the girl’s paper’s it said, “All about Me” written in the most lovely handwriting. I felt kind of guilty at that moment… I wasn’t very good at writing like that… I could well… only write in print at the time. The only thing I could sign was my name.

“Thank you everyone, I will surly read these over to get a feel for your personalities and understand what ‘level’ you are on when it comes to writing. Now for those who came in late…” She stopped and looked at me. “I would like to re-introduce myself. My name is Ms.Primrose…” Isn’t that the head master’s name? I thought. “I’m pretty sure you all are curious, so I will answer that question you have floating in your heads! Yes, I and the head masters are related, we are, and I very proud to say this, we are sisters.”

No wonder, she and the Head Master had such similar features! It was easy to see and almost belittling, that they were sister. I’m surprised; I didn’t think they were related. The bell rang at that moment. Everyone stood up and walked out of the room. I was left there, all alone with Ms. Primrose; she seemed so unconcerned with me. She was at her desk, looking over a few of the papers the students had handed her. I walked up to her, and stood at the side of her desk. She looked up at me with the most gentle face. “ Hello sweetie. Do you need something?” She asked. I smiled back, and hesitated for a moment.

“ Um… well I’m sorry if I’m interrupting you, but… do you possibably know what is next on the first day agenda? I’m new here and well… this place is unlike many schools I’ve been too.” I ask. She looked at me with surprise in her eyes, then giggled sweetly.

“Oh, no I don’t actually… this is my first year too. Sorry, if I’m not much help.” Ms.Primrose said, in the kindest way. I told her it was okay, said goodbye, and then walked out of the room. I closed the door, turned around and guess who was there… it was Ginger, standing there, bright smile on her face.

“Boo! Did I scare ya’, oh did I?! Ha, ha, ha! It’s fun to scare the older kids!” Ginger laughed. I was so surprised to see her there. I thought that was gonna be the last of I saw of her for a while, guess not. “Since classes are o’er for the day, want me to show ya’ round the grounds of the school?” She asked, her smile now wider than ever. Before I could say anything she grabbed my hand and started pulling me.

To my surprise, I actually started moving. She was actually dragging me! This little girl’s strength was amazing! I quickly tried to pull my hand back, but it wouldn’t budge. She had me and there was no way she would let me go.

“Ginger, why are you pulling me?” Is what I said. What I want to say, was a lot louder and full of expletives. Ginger said not a word… all she did was continued to pull. So I did the normal thing… I picked up my feet and started walking behind her, apparently that’s what she wanted me to do.

“Oh, this el’ be so much fun! I can just see it now! I’ve miss er’ gardens so much, ya’ know; that’s pretty much all I’ve been looking forward too!” Ginger announced happily. I followed Ginger back down those horrible, rickety, vile smelling stairs and back into the main hallway. She then quickly yanked me toward the back of the stairwell and coved my mouth. She told me not to say a word. “Look… Primrose be er’ name right?” I nodded, since I couldn’t say anything. “I don’t really want to take ya’ to the gardens okay? I got something really important to show ya’!” She exclaimed.


She told me that she only said she was going to the gardens because she didn’t know who was watching. She said she didn’t want us to get in trouble. At that moment it hit me. Trouble!?! Why would we get in trouble? What in the world could this child possibly want to show me that would get us in trouble?! She took her hand off my mouth and uttered a quick shhh. Then she reached into her pocket and pulled out a silver key. She felt around the wall behind the stairs for moment, and then stuck the key into a hidden key hole, and a pushed open a small door that revealed another even older looking staircase, this one was in much worse condition than the last one.

Ginger started walking up the stairs, but she was different now… her smile had faded and her expression was more serious than ever. She gestured for me to follow her, and for the oddest reason, I did. I ducked my head and followed Ginger up the tiny staircase, as I got a few steps up I heard a loud boom! I turned around in surprise and looked in terror, when I saw that the door we entered was now closed, as if by magic. I stopped to stare at this mystical door, but Ginger kept on walking, as if she was used to that or something.

I quickened my pace to try to keep up with the determined, mesmerized Ginger… I was afraid of what might happen if I were to be left alone in there. The farther we walked the stuffer it got and the harder it got to breath. “Ginger? Where are we going?” I whispered. Ginger said nothing… once again I was faced with my worst enemy… silence. I begun to get scared and antsy until Ginger made an abrupt stop. She looked up… as if she were being controlled by some mystical force, then slowly reached out her hand and pushed open another door.

“We’re here! We’re here!” Ginger said, her happy expression was now back. She skipped inside and I followed… as always. We entered some odd looking room, full of dust and smelled of mold. It looked as if no one had paid any attention to this room in a long time. The floors we’re covered in a faded brow looking wood and the walls had paint chipping off of them. There were three or four old looking servant beds and boxes… many… many boxes. Ginger started walking toward the end of the room as I followed in complete wonder.

“Ginger… where are we?” I asked. I was so captivated by the old looking room.

“Well… I don’t know actually know.” She started. “By the looks of ‘tings, I think we’re in an old maid’s or servant’s quarters.” She said still walking. I started looking around the room… there were cob webs and dust bunnies all over the place… but it just added to the glory of the room. “Hey! Primrose! Come o’re here!” Ginger called. I walked over to where she was standing Ginger was pointing to something. I looked up at I and saw a sheet hanging from the wall… Ginger told me to pull the sheet off. I slowly pulled the sheet until it hit the ground and a flurry of dust flue everywhere.

I looked up and it to my surprise it was a painting. I stared at the girl in the painting. She had pale skin, brown eyes and long, curly deep blue hair. He lips were a pale pink and her smile was wholesome and comforting. She looked like me! Ginger smiled as she looked up at the painting. “Who… who is she? She looks just like… j-just like…”

“You?” Ginger laughed. “I know, that’s why I brought ya’ up ere’ girly! I wanted to see if you knew who she was! Guess not…” Ginger said, with a curios smile on her face. I was still in so much shock! Why in the world would there be a painting of someone who looks just like me… here? Ginger smiled. “Oh well… I guess you’re pretty stumped too, when it comes to this girl’s name, huh? Well… we should probably get going back downstairs.” Ginger said. I turned away from the painting for a moment and looked at the side of me. There stood alone door. It had beautiful molding around it.

“Hey Ginger! Where’s this door go to?” I asked. Ginger looked quiet puzzled. She walked up to the door and stared at it.

“Well… I don’t know that either!” She started. I’ll try mah’ key.” She said, then walked up to the door and looked around the knob for a moment. “Ehy! There’s no key hole! How am I supposed to open the blasted ting!” She said. Ginger than put her hand on the knob and tried to twist it… but it wouldn’t budge. She backed up a little bit then kicked the door with all her might! Her face blushed red for a moment then she let out a blood curdling scream! “Ow! Ow! Ow! Mah’ foot, ow, ow mah’ foot! Oh good goody goodness, why in tah’ world did I just do that?! Ow!” She said while holding her foot and jumping around.

I giggled quietly and Ginger put her foot down. “Do ya’ tink it’s broken?” She asked.
“No Ginger, I think it’s fine.” I said still laughing. Ginger put her hands on her hip and pouted.

“It wasn’t that funny ya’ know!” Ginger snapped. I shook off the laugh then followed Ginger back down the old staircase, and down to the mysterious door, that closed on its own. To open it, Ginger didn’t use the key again, she simply just pushed it open. I walked out into the main hallway and took in a long deep breath of fresh air. It felt so good not to breathe in mold.

“Hey! What in the world are you two doing back here!?!” A quick shrill voice called from behind me. I thought it was the Head Master, so I turned around and put the best smile on as I could.

“Oh nothing Head Master, we we’re simply…” I stopped and looked at who it was talking. It was Violet! Boy did she scared the crap out of me! Violet laughed and walked closer to us.

“Head Master? Wow, I really am a good actress! Ha, ha, ha!” Violet laughed.

“And who be you, purple lass!?!” Ginger snapped. Violet scowled and asked me why I was hanging out with a little kid like Ginger. Ginger pouted and argued that she wasn’t all that little… no matter what her height was. I asked the two to stop fighting and told them that it was getting late. I said I was going back up to my dorm for the rest of the night.

Surprisingly my words did nothing. Ginger and Violet continued to argue and bicker… so I just left them to it. I simply walked around Violet and headed right up the stairs for my dorm. I opened up the door to room twelve and looked inside. There in the closes bed to the tiny window in the room was a girl. She was crying. I walked up to her and looked down at the girl. “Are you okay? D- did something happen?” I asked the girl with her face in her hands. She didn’t reply. I sat down on the bed next to her and put my arm around her, but it went through her! My arm completely fazed the girl!

“You can’t be here! You’ve got to get out, you have to leave right now! Please, please don’t stay here!” She said, with a voice that could hurt a deft person’s ears. I backed up from her and she stood up and she pulled her face from out of her hands. It was blood dripping from out of her eyes, she was crying blood tears! “Go, please…” she said, her voice now calm and comforting. I looked at her face… pale pink lips, brown eyes and the unmistakable dark blue hair! It was that girl from the painting! She stood up, and I felt paralyzed. She came closer to me as I pleaded with my body to move, but it was futile… I was a sitting duck.

She reached out her hand, still dripping with blood and touched my face, her hands we’re cold and she gave off a depressing feeling. I felt the blood drip down my cheek and she lifted her hand from my face. She smiled and opened her mouth to talk, but the sound of the dorm room door stopped her in her track. The door fully opened up and a girl with brown hair came in. “Hey… what are you doing by my bed?” I turned in front of me to see the girl was gone. I felt my face, nothing. There was no blood, no hand marks, it was completely as it was before that girl ever came.

The brown haired girl looked at me with anger in her eyes and walked in the room and marched toward the little end table next to her bed. She opened up the top drawer and started to franticly search through her thing. “Where… where…where? Why isn’t it here? Where did it go?” She said as she looked through drawer after drawer until she finally stop and looked up at me tears in her eyes. “Thief! You did this didn’t you?!” She said with her finger pointed at me.

“Did what? What in the world did I do?!” I asked the girl backing up at bit from her.

“You stole my necklace! You stole my favorite necklace! It was twelve caret diamond and it was my favorite thing in the whole world!” She said tears now falling from her eyes.

“Hey I didn’t steal anything from you!” I snapped.

“It was my grandmother’s! She gave it to me right before she died and you stole it from me! Give it back, give it back, give it back!” She screamed and stomped on the floor like a wild toddler. I told her once more that I didn’t have anything of hers, then she burst into tears. “You scholarship student’s can’t be trusted can you? You see something shiny and expensive looking and just can’t keep your hands off of it can you?” She snapped. I felt more than insulted, but I was more fascinated that everyone in this school seemed to know I was a scholarship student. She ran out of the room in a big huff. I knew that couldn’t be good. After a few moments Violet came in the room to see my confused face.
“S’up with you prissy?” She asked. I told her what had happened and her faced flushed white. “This can’t be good. If I were you I’d get out of here, and go pretend I was never in this room.” She replied as she hopped onto one of the beds. I asked why, and she just laughed at me. “You’ll see if ya’ stick around here.”

I sat down on a bed as Violet pulled a book out of her end table and started to read… then I started to hear noise in the hall. “And it begins!” Violet shouted smile wide and eyes bright, face toward door. What begins? What was going on? Why was Violet smiling? I was actually getting scared.

The girl with brown hair marched into the room arms crossed, eyes fixed… on me that is. Violet chuckled as Ms.Primrose walked into the room behind the girl with her pointy nose in the air. Her cold gaze set on me and so did her eerie presence. “Ms.Primrose! Stand up and come over here right this instant!” Head Master Primrose demanded. I stood up, my body trembling and hesitantly walk over to her. Head Master Primrose stared down at me with a cold gaze, as Violet’s smile grew wider. “You have been suspected of thievery, Primrose. Ms.Tristen here thinks that you have stolen her necklace; do you have anything to say in your defense?” Head Master Primrose asked.

I thought for a moment. What do I tell her? Do I tell the truth and say that a ghost girl enter the room and had me paralyzed by Tristen’s bed? Or do I come up with a quick lie and risk being punished for lying? My mouth shuddered for a moment; I was trying to find the words. I finally opened my mouth but I was interrupted when Violet let out a huge laugh. “Oh wow! Look at your face Prissy!” Head Master Primrose told Violet to be quiet and close the certain on her bed, but that made Violet laugh harder. “ You really think Prim stole your necklace!? Wow, you have the most suckish’ memory ever! It’s under your freakin’ pillow!” Violet chocked out. Head Master Primrose told Violet to watch her language as Tristen ran to her bed. She picked up the pillow and there it was.

I finally knew why she thought someone would steal it! It was incrusted with diamonds and had beautiful ruby’s literately dangling from the ends of it. Tristen jumped for joy at the sight of her beloved necklace; she cuddled it and whispered my precious over and over again. Head Master Primrose looked a little disturbed, she wished us a good night and slowly backed out of the room. When Head Master Primrose was finally gone Tristen skipped happily out of the room, I have no idea where she went though. Violet laughed and hoped over to my bed.

“Looks like tattle tale Tristen got her little toy back huh?” Violet laughed.

“Hey how’d you know her necklace was under her pillow?” I asked.
“I put it there duh!” Violet said she does that every year to one of her dorm mates. She hides one of their most “prized” possessions and watched them blame it on the other dorm mate. Violet let out another laugh, but I didn’t think it was very funny. My face stayed stern as she laughed. Violet stopped and pouted. I told her what I thought of her little “prank” and she hopped up with her face red. I simply pulled the certain on the bed all the way over and Violet stomped back to her bed. This day was surly… interesting… I laid down and rested my head on the soft pillow I brought from home and turned to the wall behind me. The day was over and I was glad for that. Now to see if I could actually get some sleep in this mad house they call a school.

The author's comments:
Sorry, but this is all I have so far. I hoped you enjoyed.

I tossed and turned in that bed for hours. Tristen had come back in the room, which woke me up slightly from my sleepy daze. I was so compelled to open up the certain and spy on that girl but I resisted, she already thought I was a thief; I didn’t want to put stalker or weirdo on my profile as well. I didn’t know what else to do though, the early hours of the morning we’re going by so slowly, and the room was so quiet. It was just so quiet. I was starting to feel woozy, as I have stated before, silence and me were not very good friends. So that quiet room aggravated me.

Right before I went crazy from quiet from the quiet, I heard noise, like quiet footsteps of a child sneaking out of bed out night. I opened the curtains slightly and peered out, and there I saw Violet sneaking out of bed with a bag in hand. I opened the curtains fully and Violet jumped back in surprise. “Going to play more pranks on people, huh sneaky?” I said. Violet folded her arms and squinted her eyes.

“Oh please, I’ve been called worst than that by my mom. Just go back to sleep ya’ little priss! Only big girls can be up at night.” Violet said. I stood up and stood at door, blocking her path out of the room.

“I’m not doing anything till you tell me where you’re going!” I whispered with anger in my voice. Violet just rolled her eyes. I don’t actually know why I was so concerned with Violet, but for some reason I just had to know where she was headed to.
“Think I would actually use the door stupid? Yeah, like I want to be caught and expelled.” Violet whispered. She then pulled a rope out of her bag and tied it to part of the small window in the room. She hoped on the ledge and saluted to me. Right before she climbed out the window, I grabbed her and she let out a quick shrill cry. Tristen just turned over in her bed. Violet tried to pull her arm free, but I reminded her of how high off the ground she was and if she we’re to move backwards slightly that she would surly hit the ground.

“At least I wouldn’t have deal with you prisses anymore!” She said. I told her that I was coming with her and nothing would stop me. Violet laughed and she told me she didn’t care what I did. I let go of her arm and climbed down the rope after her. When my feet hit the ground I felt free! The beautiful night air filled me with feelings I hadn’t since well… the day before. I didn’t care, it felt good to get out of that creepy school. Violet threw the bag around here shoulder and started walking down the elaborately decorated path that led to the main street of the eerie town.

I quickened my pace and hurried along the side of her. She stopped and looked me up and down. “Good luck trying not to get caught in that getup.” She said then continued walking. I looked down at myself and saw that I was still in my pajamas! It was too late to get changed so I decided to just keep on going. I mean come on, I was with Violet! She was the master of sneaky get always in that school right? There was no possible way we could get caught right? Right? I just stopped thinking about getting expelled on my first day, and just walked along side Violet to wherever we were going.

When we reached the main streets Violet looked around in disgust, and then continued walking with me. I could have sworn that all the people on the streets would stop and start questioning me about my “odd outfit choice”, but apparently there were no people in the street. We walked past many stores and businesses, but there was no one, no one at all; there weren’t any cars on the street either. The town seemed so eerie… and it was so dark, I could just barely make out Violet next to me. I looked at her and she turned to, I knew she knew how uncomfortable this was for me. For one thing, it was so quiet, another thing is that I’m not one of those “types” who normally breaks the rules, and one last thing… it was so quiet. “Violet… um… can you tell me where we’re going? I mean, I just followed you without even finding out if I’d even wanna go…”

“Yeah, you did… didn’t you? Ha… you are just like all those other prissy girls back at the abbey. Well Primrose, we are going to a rock concert… one of my favorite local bands. Their name’s Promises of Black Heart. Cool name right?”

“Um… yeah pretty cool…”


“Why so nervous little Prim? Afraid of a mosh pit?”


“No!”

“Of course not.” She said flipping her short glossy her out of her eyes. A rock concert? I couldn’t believe I was actually going to go to a rock concert… oh well at least it was better than being at that stupid school. Violet made an abrupt stop; I bumped into her out of surprise. She looked over to the side of her. I shook myself back into focus and turned my attention to what she was looking at. There on the corner of the street, was a huge black van. It had weird looking graffiti on it in some odd language… it sort of looked like distorted Latten.

Without saying anything Violet took off running toward the van with a fixed face, like Ginger had when we were going up the that old room in the school. I took off after her wonder what was going. Violet stopped in front of the van, her eyes wide and round. Her hand trembled and started to move toward the handled of the door, but I stopped her before she could open it. “What the heck do you think you’re doing!? Do you know that’s breaking and entering?! You can’t just open up a random van, who’s knows what’s inside.” I said quietly, but with force. All she did was slap my hand and quickly pulled open the door to the van.


Violet hopped inside and without thinking I followed her in. Inside looked just as bad as the outside… the carpet was tearing and it reeked inside! There was random clothing items and garbage throw all over the floors. There were seats, but they didn’t at all comfortable and the steering wheel looked like it was on its last run. I felt disgusted, but Violet… she looked utterly amazed. Her eyes were wide and glassy. She ran over to one of the seats in the back and plopped down with a big, gleeful sigh. “Prissy… do you know what this is?” Violet finally stammered out.

“A rotted old van?” I responded.

“Yeah… but no. This is the van of my favorite band… ever.”

“That ‘Promises of blah and whatever’ right?” I said not remembering the name. She frowned at me… apparently she wanted me to remember the name of her favorite band. Violet was looking around and squalling like a hyper little pig, I on the other hand was quite unconcerned and quite uncomfortable with the idea of being inside of a van that was not mine.

Violet excitedly looked around but I just backed up to the sliding door of the van, I was ready to get out of there and head back to the school. As I leaned on the door of the van it begun to slide, so I moved away quickly and jumped next to Violet. When the door was fully open, standing there were two guys, both wearing the same outfit. They looked quite surprised to see us there.

“Hey! What do you blokes think you’re doing in our van!” The one on the right said. I looked over at Violet, who looked quite mesmerized if I must say. The two guys folded their arms as Violet flushed red. She opened her mouth and put out her hands in a way that suggested she was going to hug someone… her arms started shaking.

“You’re Niki… and- and- and you’re Adam…” She stammered out. They back away a bit.
“Yeah… I’m Niki…”

Yeah… I’m Adam” They said. “Who the ell’ are you?” The one on the right said. Violet looked happy and embarrassed and flustered all at the same time.

“Well… see… I’m your biggest fan! I come to all your concerts and stuff and well… I-I-I… I love you guys!” Violet blabbered out. I couldn’t believe… strong headed Violet looked like a love sick cow. Guess all girls have at least one guy they’re obsessed over! Niki, the one of the left flipped his hair and pulled out a cell phone. I assumed he was going to call the cops, but I heard a snap come from the phone and heard the two chuckled. Violet looked surprised, I went over and tried to look at his phone, but Niki pulled away before I can get a good look. Violet laughed and I pouted. I looked up at the store in front of the van, out came a guy in a similar outfit as the two. He was talking on a cell phone, to someone, speaking some odd language… I couldn’t make out what it was though.


He walked up to the van, now yelling into the phone he bumped right into Adam, then pulled the phone from his ear. “Hey! What do you block headed twins think you’re doing!” He screamed. Adam pointed to us and the boy stared at us with an aggravated look. He closed the phone without saying a word and then pushed the twins out of the way and walked right up to me. I backed up a little. He looked me up and down, the scowled. “Ey… are you wearing pajama’s love?” The boy said.

“So what if I am! What’s it to you?!” I crossed my arms.

“Well ah… my buddy’s over there took a pic of you! You’re showing a little too much cleavage up there love.” He said the laughed. I pulled my shirt up and turned around. The boy then turned to Violet. He smiled at her and chuckled. “You know, my favorite color is violet… right?” Violet nodded.

“Yeah, yeah I know! So is mine! My name’s Violet too!” Violet over excitedly announced. The boy smiled.

“Oh well my names Michael… good to meet you.” He bent over and kissed Violet’s hand. She flushed white for a moment… I thought she might feint, but all she did was plop down on one of the seats in the van. Michael came over to me next, but before I said anything I told him I was telling him my name… he said he wasn’t going to ask.


“I’m great at guessing names… let me see… are you… Primrose?” He said, with a twinkle in his eye. I couldn’t believe it… how could he guess my name!? He giggled, I guess my expression gave away the answer to that question. He signaled for the twins to get into the van and he closed the door. Then I realized… we where alone in a van with three creepy guys! Violet seemed gleefully oblivious to the situation, but… I was getting creeped out. Once the twins sat down, I finally got a good looked at their faces.


The two were identical, the both had shoulder length hair, flipped over one eye and a thin lining of mascara on. I could tell them apart easily though. Niki looked a bit younger than Adam, he had rounder pinker cheeks than his brother, while Adam had thinner cheeks, still round, but not as round as Niki. Adam was also pale… he had no pigment in his cheeks at all. Either way… I have to admit, all the guys in the van very really, really cute! It made me a bit nervous to be in a van full of cute guys. It made Violet pretty nervous too, it was quite easy to see.


Michael inched over a little closer to me… he flipped his dark hair out of his eyes and smiled at me. All the guys were very cute, but Michael was the best looking out of all of them. He had the softest looking pink lips and the most endless green eyes. He skin was pale, but not as pale as Adam’s. His skin was so perfect, there was not a flaw in sight. It looked like he was wearing consular, I reached up and touched his face. He wasn’t wearing any makeup, you could feel that, that was his real, unmade up skin, but his face was so cold. He smiled when I touched his face, I pulled my hand back quickly and apologized. He told me not to worry, people do that on a regular basis. Violet looked a bit jealous, so she sat a little closer to Adam who was quietly picking with his black suite he was wearing.

The driver of the van finally popped in and sat down. He looked behind him at us and smirked. Apparently they regularly had girls in there. The van took off and once it did, something told me I shouldn’t have gotten into this. Maybe it was just the fact that I was in a van full of guys, my mother sort of instilled in me that guys can’t be trusted… if you know what mean. We had gone a few blocks now; the van had gone from eerie silence to warm laughter and smiles. Niki and Adam had been telling jokes the way. I had finally relaxed my uneasy mind and was feeling quite better.


Right then and there I thought that I might actually like going to school at the Abbey. At least I could sneak out and see Niki, Adam and Michael. The van slowly stopped and Adam opened the door. Once the door was open all you could hear was a loud den of people and rock music in the background.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.