The Nine Greek Psychos | Teen Ink

The Nine Greek Psychos

June 16, 2015
By DyingOrphan, Anchorage, Alaska
More by this author
DyingOrphan, Anchorage, Alaska
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Get ready to be pummeled cheerfully, jauntily, and utterly one-sidedly!" -Nonon Jakuzure of Kill la Kill


At least I'm not in Saudi Arabia. That really is such a confidence boost no matter what situation I am in. If I was, I would be trapped in my house, baking alive in my full body dress, or getting stoned for voicing an opinion. 

 

Mornings always start out so, I guess, mundane, for me. The second I wake up I have yet to fully process what happiness and torment the day is certainly going to bring. Ignorance truly is bliss, and so is not living in Saudi Arabia. 

 

I awoke from a deep slumber from the post traumatic stress disorder causing noise of my alarm clock. I was pushed out of my nice, unjudgmental bed with the purple sheets, and dragged into the bathroom with only my underwear and a neon green tank top on. 

 

I weighed myself, as usual. I kept at my sturdy 135. At least I'm consistent. Good enough, I always tell myself. A certain friend of mine, Thalia, snuck up behind me.

 

"Ell' least ya sill' not as fat as me cow arse," She said to, I guess make me feel better? Thalia was pretty round, and she knew that, so she liked to keep up with jokes.

 

As the round 4'11 Irish girl stood straight up, her unkepmt red hair whipped me in the face. 

 

"Are you guys gonna annoy or embarrass me today?" I ask her as I inspect my broken out face. My delicious looking caramel skin can't save me from that.

 

"Hard time? When does we ever give our darling host a hard time?" The sarcasm was as thick as her thighs. For as long as I had those Muses stalking me, a day doesn't go by without me being humiliated or getting into some type of trouble. They showed when I was a young child. I don't know why me, but it proves to be both a blessing and a curse.

 

She put on a pair of rubber gloves with a snap. She proceeded to take out a bottle of Windex and a rag,"So, a Rabbi, the Pope, and a Amish man walk into a bar," She sprayed the cleaner onto the mirror and wiped it with the rag," Rabbi says to the Pope,"Hey, what do-Ew, ew, flippin' cac! Oi' just touched a mystery liquid!"

 

I rolled my eyes at the germaphobe's freak out and dabbed my fingers in the liquid,"That's the Windex that dripped from the mirror, moron,"

 

"Ah. So, the Pope, oi' mean Rabbi,"

 

"So much for the Muse of Comedy," Little Clio the proclaimer trotted into the already crowded bathroom and jumped up on the counter, not even shooting me or Thalia a glance as he looked down at his writing tablet.

 

"School is in half an hour. You have time for everything if you don't get distracted. Dad wants you to start eating healthier, so you must eat nothing but nutritious foods. Today is school color day, so wear anything gold and blue, and you have to take your pill," He rounded off the list he keeps with him always. 

 

I was already half way to my room and putting on a pair of solid green pants before he finished that. I will be wearing green and yellow, our rivial schools color.

 

"I can't take it, you know that Dad doesn't like modern medicine. Power of prayer, that man says," I put my hands together to signal praying and fell flat on my face, unaware that the hands were keeping me balanced with only one leg in the pants.

 

"You were prescribed those pills for a reason. Your condition could possibly become dangerous," He wagged his little finger at me.

 

"Oh, what? I might fall asleep on a nail?" I always antagonize him, but without Clio's schedule to keep me on track, my life might very well fall apart. Even though he's a seven year old adorable little boy, he's the only reason I made it this far, and is more responsible than I'll ever be.

 

As I reached for my yellow shirt, a brown hand appeared to stop mine. I sighed,"Terp," I say in a firm manner,"I do not need your fashion advice." A second hand popped up on the other side of me and I stopped that one,"Nor yours,"

 

"But those colors?" My British darling asked,"Why not at least some complementary ones. Have a red shirt with the green pants, or purple pants with the yellow shirt,"

 

"Or something a little more, hmm, sexy," That second seductive voice purred in my ear.

 

"I'm no ho, and these are the colors of my high school's rivals, so I kinda gotta,"

 

"Why must you anger your peers?" Terp asked.

 

"Well, if I don't, then who is?" I shot back.

 

Terp huffed and crossed her arms. Terp is the epitome of a control freak and always tries to dress me all nice.

 

"You know what would really piss them off?" My erotic Ato asked.

 

"I'm not having sex with anyone, Ato," I say as a pull the shirt over my body. I pick out a white scarf and wrap it around my neck.

 

"Well, at least that I agree with," Terp comments.

 

"Not flasy enough," Ato argues. 

 

Terp and Ato both had perfectly set hair. Terp's auburn hair had some type of short beehive style going on. Ato's was a tannish color and was curled into perfect ringlets. They are definitely the best dressed as the Muses.

 

"Grab her," Ato instructed. 

 

"No! Come on, guys," I plead.

 

Terp got behind me and wrapped a piece of rope tight around my neck, almost completely cutting off my ability to breathe. My hands immediately grap for the rope to pry it off but it's too sunken into my neck.

 

Terp whispered eerily into my ear,"This is what happens when you don't obey us,"

 

I saw Ato reach for her wine glass on the dresser and dip two of her fingers in it.

 

I struggled to breathlessly get words out,"No! Not again, Ato, stop!" I hoarsely beg her.

 

Terp pulled back on the rope and constricted me even more,"All you have to do is dress up like a good little girl with lots of school spirit. While also making it match," She said the last part sweetly while flashing a toothy grin with her big lips. 

 

I shook my head. I knew what was coming but someday I'm going to have to put them in their place.

Ato lifted up my shirt to my belly button. A part of my stomach looked like a mess of melted skin. I cringed and choked as she dripped the wine onto my skin. It fizzed and bubbled and felt like I being burnt with a cattle prong. I went to scream, but she just covered my mouth.

 

"Terpsichore and Erato!" I hear Clio's uncharacteristically low voice shout to them. He stood there firmly with his arms crossed and with a harsh glare aimed at the two.

 

Terp released me,"Aw, come on, we were just having a little fun, weren't we, Meredith?"

 

I turned to Ato," You smiled and told me how much you loved me while you paralyzed me with fear,"

 

Erato's head reeled back a bit, but she soon joined in," Dare I speak and tell you about my day? You always had a much worse day than mine. Dare I venture an opinion about anything? You stopped me dead in my tracks with your ominous demeanor and pinned me down. But the next day you were all apologetic," 

 

She held her hand up to stop me,"Where did you learn that?"

"From you!" I spat,"Who else? You and your damn poetry. You're suppose to be about love, Erato, but you show nothing but hate! Clio, get them away from me, now!" I yell frantically.

 

Ato ha-ed loudly,"He's no chief,"

 

Clio ha-ed back,"But I was here first, and my power was rightfully appointed,"

 

"This room is so crowded!" I half yell as I brush through my knotted black hair. Good enough. Terp and Ato appear behind me in the mirror with disgusted looks on their faces.

 

"You guys need to leave, we have fifteen minutes," Clio demands and shoves them out the door, along with a surprisingly quite Thalia.

 

"We need to hurry," He remarked. 

 

I grab the edges of my vanity mirror and stood there with my head down, trying to compose myself,"Could you get me some bandages, Clio?" My skin stung with a burning pain.

 

He trotted over to my night stand,"You need to be more assertive with them. You can't let them bully you," He tossed the gauze to me.

 

"You know I can't!" I snap,"The power they hold over me is tremendous,"

 

If it weren't for those nine, I would be dead. No joke. Terp and Ato are partners in crime half the time, and enemies the other. Sometimes they put me through hell, but they protect me, give me luck, and help me out in their areas of expertise. 

 

I wrap the gauze around my melted flesh and tried too hard not to cry. Ato has done it worse before. I don't think I could ever drink wine now. I don't know how she gets that stuff, but only she can drink it without getting burned and melted. I wish she would just stick to the lyre, as well as Terp. 

 

"Why don't you get Calli to fix that?"

 

"I don't want her to see me like this. Where is my hat, Clio?" I asked as I spin my head around my messy room. My eyes land on a mass laying in my bed.

I pulled back the purple covers,"Mel! Hat!" I demanded.

 

The ever reluctant Melpomene rolled over to face me, her wavy brown hair covering her face. I snatch it off her head and put it on mine.

 

"I don't wanna move," She whined.

 

"Please do, Mel," I plead.

 

"I'm gonna kill myself,"

 

I rolled my eyes,"You're immortal, idiot,"

 

Mel sprung up from the bed. She grabbed my shirt and pulled me in. She placed a razor blade to my already red throat,"Don't want something tragic to happen, do you?" She had the accent of an Australian. 

 

I wasn't afraid of her. She's all talk and the weakest of the nine.

 

"All talk?! And the weakest?! How dare you have the audacity to insult me like that!" She slowly sliced through my skin with the razor.

 

I gasped and pushed her back on the bed,"Get out of my head, Mel, then you won't be so insulted. Go find Thalia,"

"Thalia? She's not in here? Thalia!" Mel looked around frantically for her much needed counterpart. 

 

I wiped the blood from my neck. Mel just infuriates me. She's annoying and doesn't even try to strengthen her abilities. 

"Polly, block the door," Clio ordered. 

 

In the corner on a beanbag was the silent Polyhymnia reading a book. The raven haired hulking mass sighed and got up. She was as tall as the door and even wider, with a veil covering her tan face. She stood in front of it, blocking the others.

 

"I forgot to brush my teeth!" I suddenly remembered. 

 

"You forgot breakfast," Clio reminded me.

 

I pushed past Polly and made my way down the stairs to the empty kithen. My Dad was already at work and my Mom has been away in the service for seven months. I have a sister, but she lives in the city with her lesbian lover. 

 

I sat down at the round table and was in such a hurry that I didn't care that the bowl overflowed, or that it was coffee I poured with it.

 

"Some alcohol could help wit' dat'," Thalia popped up behind me.

 

"I have rum," Mel took the other side. 

 

"Both of you, out, now," Clio ordered.

 

I hear a sweet melodic flute playing. I looked up with coffee running down my chin to see my probably Asian companion. 

 

"Is this a good time, Euterpe?" I asked with my mouth full.

 

"It's always time for a song, host," Her New York accent rang louder than the flute. I knew that they were from Greek mythology, but for some reason none of them were actually Greek. 

 

"It's just how we chose to show ourselves, Meredith," The little child explained to me.

 

"Ugh, get out of my head, Clio," The feeling of realization hit me like Polly's oversized fist," A storm is coming, Clio," I told him ominously. 

 

"What sto- Oh!" He paused to look around frantically,"You need to go!" He grabbed me by the arm and pulled me out of the chair. That's when we hear it.

 

"Your methods are completely unethical!" I hear a shrill voice shout and then the sound of something making contact with the wall. Every. Single. Morning this catastrophe happens.

 

"Your ruling is completely tyrannical!" I hear a much deeper voice shout. 

 

"It would not have to be tyrannical if you listened to your chief!" I heard the thump again.

 

Two obnoxiously blonde and tall figures tumbled down the stairs together.  Eu kept playing her flute as Thalia and Mel tried to pry the two rivals off each other. Mel and Thalia could only handle Calliope alone, while Polly singled handedly contained Uriania.

 

Clio, as usual, scolded them,"Must you two rejects do this every morning? Meredith is late because of the disgraces like you!" 

 

Every morning they heard that. It didn't stop them from hating each other. Calli was a complete hippy who wants peace and love. Sometimes. Her bi-polar, multiple personality disorder, multiple form whatever thing makes that hard. Sometimes she is that hippe loving weirdo, othertimes it's the tyrannical ruler, sometimes she's a squid. Uri hated everything she said and wanted to be the one in charge.

 

"Host, tell that b**** that I'm done doing what she says and she can't make me!" Uri yelled to her.

 

That b**** turned to me, then she slapped me,"Don't call me a b****! And he has to listen, I'm the chief," She narrowed her already squinty brown eyes at him.

 

They really need to get out of my damn head. Also,  there's another odd thing; they are all supppse to be girls, yet two happen to be males.

 

"Just how we show ourselves," Eu told me from the table.

 

"Ugh! Get out of my head! All of you!"

 

"Hey, you lots, the bus is here," Terp warned us.

 

I panicked, but as usual, Clio was ready,"Terp, go stall the bus. Mel, get her bag. Ato, bring her mouthwash. Go!"

 

I stood there not knowing what to do but in a matter of seconds I had my bag and Listerine in my mouth. I had nowhere to spit; Calli offered me something and I spit in it.

 

"Hey, that's my globe!"I heard Uri yell as Calli screwed the two halves back together and handed it back to him with a devious smirk.

 

Out the door I ran to the bus with Clio on my heels.

"We'll be there later," Calli called from the house. I boarded the bus and off I went to school.

 

Ah, what a nice morning. That was quite tame actually. I'm quick to forgive the things they do, even though they never show remorse, or even say sorry, I know they love me anyway.

 

Then it all went wrong, and I really wished I listened to Clio. Just like every other day, I lost the battle against narcolepsy and fell asleep outside as I waited for my bus at the end of the day. One of my darling friends usually woke me up rudely, but not today. At first I didn't understand why, but then I figured out that they would never pass up a day of excitement. 

 

There I sat, zip tied to a pole in the middle of an abandoned factory. On the other side of the pole was my Dad, and on a different pole was my sister, Shali. At least I'm not in Saudi Arabia. 

 

"Oh, good, the little terrorist is finally awake," I see through blurry vision a gross faced looking man. That guy could have easily passed for Freddy Krueger. 

 

I looked around to see pipes, poles, broken equipment, and cat walks all around the vast building. Behind us were a mass of broken fans.

 

"She is not a terrorist, none of us are," My Dad and the man started to argue. Around us were a dozen other ignorant men. I would be lying if I said this was the first persecution we faced as Arabs.

 

I felt really groggy and turned to face my crying sister.

"S-Shali, what happened?" I asked with a hoarse voice.

 

"I-I don't know. There was a knock at the door and when I answered I was knocked out and taken to this horrible place,"

 

"No talking!" One of the henchmen shouted and pointed a hangun at us. My sister shrieked again and turned her head away. 

 

Freddy hit my Dad with the butt of a shotgun and went to stand with his minion,"Ever since you terrorists moved in, there have been unexplained bombings and other acts of terror targeted on our lovely little town," His voice was firm and filled with stereotyped hate.

 

Ugh, bombing? I knew who was doing that, but it certainly weren't terrorists...well...I don't know what to call them.

 

"We moved here years ago. My wife is fighting with the United States army," My Dad reasoned with a small voice.

 

Another man stepped up, one with tattoos all over his beefed up arms. The men didn't look that young, a lot of them didn't look ready for a fight,"It's a perfect cover. Patriotic wife to mask the conspiring husband,"

 

"I don't care what you do to me, just let my chidlren be. They are Americans,"

 

The men's faces grew more red as my Dad's Arabian accent grew with his fear.

 

One of the henchmen put a gun to my already crying sister's head,"Tell us the plans of we blow the dyke's face off," He threatened.

 

My heart was pounding to the extreme. What the hell were these intolerant bastards thinking? There was no way to hell my Dad committed acts of terrorism. He was being stereotyped; treated as an unequal, which is exactly why he left the Middle East.

 

"There are no plans! Let them go!" My brave father shouted.

 

The man with the gun to Shali's head and c***ed it.

Come on, guys, where are you? I thought over and over. It was unusual for them to be this late, it was even more peculiar to not have Clio right by my side, but I knew they would never miss a good fight. Anytime they were unneeded they showed. I thought the ironic thought. 

 

The man asked again, and my Dad declined.

 

You guys are really cutting it close.

 

But then, I heard it. The noise that always signaled their arrival; the strumming of a guitar, it was faint, but I knew we were going to be okay. There was another noise, a creaking one. 

 

To the side of the men was the front entrance. The creaking was one of a rusty door. All attention was turned to the door, all guns drawn. 

 

In walked the two shortest of my companions. Thalia was swinging a wooden baseball bat, looking like she was about to hit a home run. Next to her was Melpomene walking with a dress cane tapping on the hard floor. Upon Thalia's face was the comedy mask, and on Melpomene's the tragic one. I saw them in their Muse form, which consisted of a colored toga and their usual items, while normal people saw them dressed as other normal people.

 

As the girls strutted with must gusto, they were each shot, multiple times in the body. Dad and Shali kept their heads down and eyes closed tight.

 

They stopped, but didn't fall. They both looked down at the gaping holes inside their bodies, then back at the men. Thalia's smile and both their sunken and black eye holes made the men flinch. I smiled as I saw our captor's eyes widen in disbelief. The corners of my mouth raised even higher when their mouths hung open from seeing the bullet holes completely heal over in a matter of seconds.

 

Comedic Thalia walked right up to the baffled leader,"Why was six fraid' a seven?" She asked as she stood to swing,"Cause e' was a registered six-ophile," Thalia swung into Freddy's legs. He fell the second the bat made contact. She continued to bash his face to a bloody pulp. Thalia held the bat up and inspected the bright red blood of triumph.

 

While that was happening, Melpomene came in hard. First she swung underhand to apply an uppercut move to the man next to Shali. While attempting to stick the cane down the man's throat, another man grabbed the weakest Muse and held her for another to punch. 

 

A big pair of tan hands clamped down on her restrainer's shoulders. He turned to see Polyhymnia tower over him. With her unnatural strength, she grasped his neck and lifted his wiry body off the ground. With one quick turn of her wrists, the man's neck was snapped, and his body fell limp.

 

Melpomene attacked the dead man's friend. He over powered her and her cane was ripped from her hands. Mel backed away as the crazy eyed guy raised the cane and stepped forward. 

 

He was suddenly jerked back and the cane fell from his hands. He sunk to his and knees and I could see Terpsichore with her rope tight around his neck.

As the war waged on, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see Euterpe standing behind the pole. She motioned for me to stand up and I did. I knew what she was about to do and I braced myself for possible pain. With the guitar in her hands, she cut the ties. Those strings are even sharper than razor sharp and could cut through almost anything. She cut the ties with one quick swipe. Because of that, she had to wear special gloves with titanium in the fingertips so she doesn't accidentally amputate her fingers. 

 

Eu cut the ties of my Dad and Shali, and they were led out by Clio. I stayed behind a large fan. Urania snuck up next to me.

 

"Sup', host," He greeted.

 

"Shouldn't you be doing something, Uri?"

 

"I am," He said simply. We were charged by one of the extremists. I flinched and hid behind Uri. Attached to his hand was a chain and handle, on the other side was his globe. He swung the chain out, smashing into the attackers mouth. His teeth hit the ground before he did. Once he was down, Uri slammed the rock hard globe down on the man's face again.

 

"I'm bored," He commented. His unsmiling face remained stone cold as he walked and swung.

 

Thalia continued to crack corny jokes as she swung for the legs. Mel did the same but kept trying to shove the cane down people's throat's. Terp danced her way through the mess. She looked like she was doing some type of combat style dance. Guns were useless on them, and they were too good to get hurt.

 

Or so I thought. Erato the entire time just stood in the back sipping her wine. She was attacked and pinned down by a captor. She clawed at his face, but that proved to do little as he struck her in the face. She dropped the wine glass, but that thing surprisingly didn't break. Most the wine was spilled out and began to burn through the concrete floor, but there was still a tad left in the bottom. That's what she needed.

 

I scoped the place out before emerging from my hidden spot. I tried to creep undetected to help Ato. She may be a bully sometimes, but she would do anything for me and I should do the same. A large shadow appeared in front of me and I stopped dead in my tracks. Slowly I turned to see a man smiling a sadistic smile at me and holding a gun to me face. I was frozen in spot, I couldn't even think. I just braced myself for impact.

 

"Go to hell, little terrorist,"

 

"You go for her," A calm voice spoke out. Polyhymnia, with all her extreme strength, punched the man in the face. He flew back several feet and there was a huge gash covering the right side of his hideous face.

 

"I hate stereotypes," She told me in her thick accent. The Puerto Rican understands me. With two long strides, she was over to the bloody man. Repeatedly she struck him in the face with those spikey knuckes, continuously making small holes in his head.

 

I dashed to Erato, picked up the wine (being careful not to spill it) and handed it to her. She bashed it over the man's head. He rolled off her to clutch his bleeding face. I knew it wasn't the glass sticking out of his face that was the problem. After a few seconds, where the wine splashed him started to fizzle, then boil, then erode. Ten seconds later, his face looked like hot melted cheese. 

 

"No means no," Is all she said before she pulled out two full syringes, spun them like a ninja in her hands, yelled a battle cry, and joined the madness. 

 

I quickly dashed back to my hiding spot and watched. The men proved to not be much competition. Half the Muses they were fighting were stuck in the bodies of people under eighteen too.

 

I've always loved to watch Euterpe and Urania the most. I love how Uri swings his globe around like nunchucks, hitting people on all sides. It was always fun to see Eu slice through things with her guitar, especially human flesh of ignorant extremists.

 

I felt a wave of exhaustion over take my body. I slowly and reluctantly slid down to the floor and I could do nothing to stop it. It didn't matter how exciting the things around me were, when I feel my eyelids getting heavy, I must sleep. I tried to fight it cause if not I'd be in a very vulnerable position. 

 

Through tiredly blinking eyes, I saw Clio get in front of me. He was shouting something, probably important, but I was miles away. He shook me and slapped me, but I drifted under anyway.

 

I woke up what felt like hours later to a horribly high pitched shriek. Clio was sitting next to me, holding my hand,"What is that?" I ask him in my hoarse voice as I struggled to see properly. 

 

"Son of a crack whore! I forgot I wasn't wearing the gloves!"

 

"Euterpe accidentally cut her fingers off with the guitar strings," Clio answered in an annoyed tone.

 

"I told her to stick to the flute," I said with a small laugh. Polly jerked me up. My body felt dead. 

 

Terp was trying the best she could to console the hurting girl as Calliope tried to stop the bleeding.

"You'll regenerate," Terp told her in her usual worrisome tone.

 

"Still hurts like hell!"

 

Melpomene stood slanted, being held up by the cane. Uri grabbed it out from under her, making her stumble,"I want my cane back," He said.

 

"Then I want my bat back," She ripped it out of Thalia's chubby hands, but she was preoccupied with something else.

 

Thalia smacked Eu on the face with the comical rubber chicken. The black haired girl grabbed it out of the redhead's hand, bit the head off of it, and threw it to the other side of the factory. 

 

"Damn, I was aiming for the window," She said sourly as she spit the head out. 

 

"Aim! You couldn't hit a cow's arse wit' a banjo!" Thalia threw her head back in uproarious laughter. Mel joined her counterpart with a sad laugh.

 

"Jeez, look how sloppy we did all of this," Calliope thought aloud as she looked around at the dead bodies with little to no emotion. 

 

The stench of blood made me gag, but the sight was all too familiar. Those maniacs killed people who didn't hold a door for me. I've become numb to it all.

 

"Nice leadership skills, chief." Uri sneered to her.

 

"This is no one's fault," The second blonde argued.

 

"Oh, really? Where were you this entire time?"

 

"My weapon wouldn't do much good. It only knocks them out,"

 

"Them being incapacitated would of helped a ton," 

The rest, excluding Euterpe, rolled their eyes and backed away.

 

"I will ban you once again, Urania, don't test me," She warned.

 

"And that's suppose to scare me? Clio overruled you, he's practically the one in charge. You have no power,"

"Don't bring me into this," Clio said.

 

I just watched this back and forth for minutes. Eu's fingers grew back by then. Those two just couldn't let the past stay in the past. Things like the time Uri stabbed Calli, and when Uri drilled a hole in Eu's face. Uri was just a wild card.

 

The commotion stopped when we all heard that creaky door. Fast as lightning, Calliope opened a portal and pulled them all inside. Clio waved to me before it closed shut.

 

My Dad and sister came running in with police officers right behind them. It's tough to explain why there are a dozen dead bodies surrounding you without looking like the culprit. All they really remember were the two masked assailants, the little boy, and the punk rock looking girl with the guitar. I said that I hid and the killers ran away. That's so much easier than saying I'm followed and protected, and tormented, by the Nine Greek Muses. 

"I see you wrote poems about all of us,"

I sat up in bed to see Mel sitting cross legged at the foot of it and flipping through lose leaf pieces of paper.

"Well, I'm practically bed ridden and poems seem to be the only other thing I'm good at because of you people,"

Just a few days before, the whole warehouse terrorist debacle thing went down. I have been under what feels like house arrest for the entire time. I've been refused from school because they think I need time to cope. What had happened didn't faze me in the least, I'm completely numb to everything the Muses do. I've seen them kill before, and always brutally. Most of the time people have very little to provoke them or me. They really are just nine Greek psychos.

I wasn't even thought of as a suspect. They were certain someone like me couldn't have taken down all those armed men. And they're right, I could never do that. The Muses do it all the time though. All my father and sister remembered was the little boy who led them out, the two masled assailants who came in swinging, and the guitar girl.

"Isn't that good? Your writings are quite splendid," Receiving a compliment from Mel happened about as often as Hailey's Comet.

"No, you guys know I hate writing,"

"Then stop writing, imbecile,"

"I can't. I have a never ending supply of inspiration,"

She snap and pointed at me,"You are welcome,"

"I only like co- Thank you? Mel, all you do is tragic acting- I only like computers,"

I sat up. My bed head hung in tangles around my face, my mouth was dry, my eyes were watery. I hated mornings.

  "I hate everything, and everything seems to hate me," She commented without taking her eyes off the papers.

"Get out of my head, Mel," I groaned and laid back down.

"You know we can't,"

"Yep, I know. No privacy. Can't think one thought without one of you putting your two cents in,"

"Sounds like the government. They are watching your every step, waiting for you to mess up. That's when they strike,"

"They don't even know you exist,"

"Technically we don't, but it's still tragic,"

Melpomene, Muse of Tragedy. Always depressed and ready to make others feel the same. Others see her in a baggy gray hoodie with the hood up, jeans, and black sunglasses. Her hair is  dark brown and wavy, but her eyes are a mystery. I see her in a dark blue toga that has a deep dip in the front down to her belly button. The hoodie is actually a wreath and the sunglasses are the tragedy mask, so I have never seen her, or Thalia's, actual eyes.

"Your room is too bright," She told me while gazing at my walls.

"Is yellow not depressing enough for you?"

"It's too happy in general. Pinks and purples and yellows. Pictures and posters everywhere. Fluffy things," She cringed.

"Well, princess, excuse me for being the opposite of you,"

"You wouldn't want something...tragic... to happen to it, would you?" Mel turned to me and smiled darkly to me.

I sprung up,"You wouldn't," I narrowed my already narrow eyes at her.

"You know if one doesn't give off the luck and inspiration, none of us can,"

"I can't just change my room, Melpomene,"

She crawled towards me,"You will, or your perfect life won't be so perfect anymore,"

"My poem about you is spot on,"

"Which part?"

"All of them, especially when I said you try to sway me to be like you,"

"But you also called my less annoying than the rest. Thank you, Meredith,"

"No prob, but you know I only listen to Clio,"

"Malarkey. You worship Calliope,"

I shrugged,"She makes the magic happen,"

"I can make things happen too. Don't test me," She pushed me back and crawled on top of me. She held something to my throat again.

"One of Euterpe's strings? Be careful, Mel, you might cut yourself," I sneered.

"I'll make this room glisten with your blood," She hissed to me.

"Melpomene," A warning tone rang out,"Don't even think about abandoning your post," Clio was over sitting on my dresser, also reading from what I wrote.

"But I'm so sad and useless," She whined and dropped the whole tough guy act," I'm the weakest of the nine. I just want something for my own," She starting sniffling and curled up into a ball.

"Oh, Mel," I say sympathetically and reached for her.

"Don't. You'll just enable her. Don't give her the attention," Clio's monotone voice spoke again and I retracted my hand.

"The attention whore not getting attention? That is quite tragic," Calliope stood with her arms crossed and staring out the large window just south of my bed.

Mel sat up,"Ugh, no wonder Uri stabbed you,"

"That degenerate did that because he's too simple minded to talk out his problems to me,"

"Let's not forget you don't even listen to him, Calli,"

"You're proclaiming once again, Clio," She argued.

"They don't call me the proclaimer for nothing, chief,"

The tragic one turned back to me,"Did you really mean what you said about me becoming a drug addict?" Mel asked me.

I shrugged again,"Depressed people turn to that. And then once you become it, you'll sway me to be like you. That could be dangerous,"

"She called me a harlot in mine," Ato spoke up. She was leaning on my vanity and sipping her usual wine.

"You have sex with everything that walks, slut," Calli sneered as she continued to stare out the window.

"Excuse me for being such a wanted item,"

"Wanted? I'm pretty sure you raped a guy,"

In an attempt to stop that confrontation, Clio shared about his poem,"She called me ruthless, evil, and manipulative,"

"Seriously? Clio? Evil?" Ato asked aloud.

"Yes!"I exclaim,"You guys may not see it but he's always changing me to fit what he wants. And I do it too. I've grown dependent,"

"What about you, Calli?" Mel asked.

"I don't know. I never got a poem,"

"I'm working on it. I don't have Polly or Euterpe yet either,"

"Are you saying Urania got a poem before I did?"

"Don't be too upset," Attention turned on Uri standing in front of the door," She called me a freak, lazy, selfish, greedy, an asshole, untrustworthy, irresponsible, weird looking, weak, impulsive, hated by everyone else, also completely insulted my personality, and said the only thing I'll ever love is my birthmark cause that's the only thing that will love me back,"

"You do spend a lot of time admiring it," Calliope commented.

I grimaced,"Yeah, and it's always when you're in my bathtub. Stop that,"

"But it's so great. Look at it!" He dramatically ripped the  orange toga open for us to see the sun shaped mark on his shoulders, chest, and torso. I have a theory that he has it because the sun is apart of the universe he loves to study so much,"As a matter of fact, I'm going to go admire it right now," He chirped and skipped off to the bathroom.

"And I gotta go to a doctor. I think I caught something," Ato admitted and walked off.

"Can Muses catch diseases?" I aimed the question towards Calli.

"They can when they spread their legs for anything with a pulse," Was her expected response.

Mel let out a loud groan and fell back onto the wall,"Host, get the tyrant to leave. She may be the chief but she's not one of the original three,"

"Neither are you!" Clio butt in,"You know how the order goes. You're fourth, Melpomene,"

I call it the Ranks. They all didn't show up at the same time together. They all showed their human bodies when I was a young child, all days apart. Rank 1st to 9th: Clio, Thalia, Terpsichore, Melpomene, Polyhymnia, Calliope, Erato, Euterpe, Urania. And for some reason, they think the order they showed up means how powerful they are.

"Now I wanna stab you," Mel said as she glared to Calliope.

"Why? You're not Uri. I know you look up to him, but you don't have to copy what he does," Calli told her.

Still with his focus on his scroll, Clio put Calli in her place,"Please, Calliope, stop trying to act so perfect. Every other day Polly has to hold you back from going on a rampage until we squid you up. And let's not forget how you would torture both Mel and Thalia," Clio's voice was not one of a little boy, it was much lower. Clio will always be a wise adult in a child's body.

"Oh, come on, it's not like they could feel anything," Calli argued. She kept standing right there in the window for some reason and I had no clue why.

"Gosh, I remember that. Everyday for a week at eleven at night you would drag them off to do that. And every time I would have to get out of bed and go with Polly to stop you," I reminisced,"God, you guys are all just so...I don't know...stupid?" I felt anger towards them all.

"It's a chain reaction, Meredith," Clio explained,"Uri has just reacted more than all of us,"

Calli went on further, "Makes sense. Euterpe was bullying you, so he drilled a hole in her cheek,"

"And that idiot started a fist fight with Polly. Who would seriously be dumb enough to do that?" Mel added.

Calli shook her head,"All because she tried to ride Xerxes,"

"Okay, Calli, I gotta ask: why won't you move away from the window?" I questioned.

She held her finger up,"Just wait,"

"Wait for what?"

As soon as I asked, my window shattered and shards of  glass flew everywhere. Mel immediately sprung to shield me. I saw Calliope flail her arms out and fall backwards. I heard a gunshot, then a second, and with shattering glass to go with it. I heard the sharp screech of tires and someone peeling off in a hurry.

I panicked and lept to Calliope. She jumped up with nothing less of a flesh wound right between her eyes. Clio hopped off the dresser and a portal was opened for him and the other two. They disappeared.

I stayed there on the ground in shock. I was frozen, I couldn't move except for my shaking hands. Was that an assassination attempt? Then I remembered Dad and Shali!

They raced into my room and ran to me on the floor. Shali wrapped me in a hug and soon did Dad.

"W-w-what was that?" I managed to stutter out.

"Those extremist bastards coming to finish us off," Dad answered.

My head was against Shali's chest and I could feel how fast her heart was beating too.

"I'm calling the police right now. This has got to end now," He took out his phone.

"Dad, something isn't right," Shali said,"They shot three times at three different windows and immediately left. None of us were in front of windows. If they were really trying to kill us, wouldn't they of waited until they could see us die?"

"M-m-maybe they s-saw something they thought were us. Were the shades drawn at each window?"

Shali nodded and answered,"Yeah, on all three,"

"They could of seen something they thought was us,"

Dad shook his head,"But that doesn't make any sense, Meredith,"

Shali loosened her grip on me and turned her head all around to examine the room,"Dad, I don't see a bullet anywhere. It doesn't even look like anything was hit besides the window,"

Dad got the same look on confusion on his face,"You're right. Go check downstairs while I call the police,"
They both left me alone in my room.

Calliope, Erato, and Urania walked in as soon my dad and sister walked out. They all stood single file smiling at me. I ran to them and wrapped my arms around them all and they embraced me back.

We parted and I had tears forming in my eyes,"That save was even better than last time. You guys really will do anything for me. But why didn't you tell me that would happen?"

Calliope answered,"Because then they would of stalked you. If we didn't get it over with. They would of waited for a time you guys were actually vulnerable,"

"And if we told you it would of just been delayed," Ato finished.

"But if you told me, then I could of called the cops and then they would be in custody," I brought up.

"Don't worry, they'll get what's coming to them," Urania hinted,"I rigged their meth lab to blow at just the right time," Quite the hint.

"That's my bomber, but stop doing that other places. That's the reason for such accusations in the first place.  Thanks for getting shot for me, Calliope,"

"Thank Ato, she's the one who posed as you. I was Shali, I'm way too tall to be you,"

"Thank you, all three of you. You may threaten to hurt me and actually hurt me, but I would be dead without you. And, Ato, I guess the doctor thing was all a ruse and you don't have an STD?"

"Oh no, I definitely have herpes. I don't need a doctor to tell me that,"

Mel gingerly walked through the door,"Oh, Melpomene," I went and hugged her.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Got shards of glass in me, but as long as you're okay," That snark ass.

I had suddenly remembered something,"The bullets! I'm gonna need those for evidence,"

Calliope shrugged,"Sorry, host, they already healed over,"

"Damn. Now how is this going to be explained?"

Mel piped up,"I think you should consult the gun expert,"

Thalia came storming into my room holding a hand gun and examining it closely,"Dus' is the type a gun they was usin'. It's the M1911. Seems ta' be original. Seven rounds a 45 ACP. The shape a-"

"Just give me three bullets," I hurried her along.

"Jus' give ya' the bullets? Now dus' dumber than a blonde at a spellin' bee!"

"Ugh, thank you, Thalia," Calliope huffed.

Urania goes,"I don't get it,"

"If ya' wat' incriminating evidence, your gonna have ta' recreate the scene. Oi'll go and shoot inta' ya' room from the street,"

"Thalia, you can't do that!" I shout and then realize my Dad and Shali could probably hear me.

"Don't worry. Oi'll use a silencer," She went to walk out of the room, but a child almost as tall as her stopped her.

"I would not advise a trigger happy idiot like yourself to create any more havoc than what has all ready been done," He stood confidently in front of her with his hands folded behind his back.

She looked down on him intimatingly,"Step aside, short stuff," She pushed him out of the way, but I couldn't let a trigger happy moron ruin things either.

I ran in front of the soon to legally be midget,"Clio is right. You're not doing it. I won't let you," I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Oh, dear, sweet, Mary. Oi' would never hurt ya',"

"I know. You're one of the good ones,"

"Dus' right, but I will let the others do it,"

She stepped to the side and I saw Ato swishing her wine around in its glass and Calliope glaring. Urania kept his focus on the floor. He never harms me either, but he still wouldn't interfere with the others plans.

"Scars don't look sexy on a girl, host," Ato said in a low voice.

"Guys, is this really that big of a deal that you need to hurt me for it?" I ask. They could probably smell my fear.

Calliope and Ato's faces both dropped and contorted into something less scary.

"Huh. It's really not," Calliope admitted.

"Can we still cut her?" Mel asked from behind Ato.

"If you do, my strings will slice through you like a paper shredder," Euterpe came and stood in front of me with her double flute in her hand and her black and white guitar on her back.

Terpsichore took up space beside Calliope,"My rope will be around your neck before the first string is strummed, punk,"

In front of the door stood Clio, Eu, Polly, and Uri blocking me from Mel, Calli, Terp, and Ato on the other side. Thalia stood alone in the middle.

"Oy. What have oi' done?" Thalia slumped her shoulders.

"We are not having another Muse war," I pushed my way past Polly and Clio,"If you wanna go shoot through the windows, fine. I don't care anymore. Just don't be seen,"

Euterpe disagreed,"Are we giving up that easily?" She asked with much sass.

I sighed and rubbed my eyes,"Eu, I really, really don't care,"

Eu was never one to start a confrontation with another Muse. She would just sit there with her feet up and playing her flute, totally unaware of anything else that was happening. That's why I found it extremely out of character when she lept for Thalia's gun.

She flat out dove to grab it. She gripped the ginger's hand and knocked her to the ground. Her arm flew backwards and the gun slammed into the wall, creating a hole. Uri reacted and tried to pull Eu up by the shoulders, but he was body slammed out of the way by Mel. She wrapped her arms around Eu's skinny waist and pulled her off of her best friend. Polly forced Mel off her and threw her into my vanity mirror.

All my things on it flew off and onto the floor. I was in a complete panic because there was no way Dad and Shali couldn't hear that and I knew they would show up any minute. I looked to Clio to do something, who looked to Calliope, who looked back to me.

The gun went off and my ears rang. Everyone paused. The bullet ricocheted around my room. First it hit my metal bed post, then my lamp, then radiator, and finally my arm.

"Ahhh!" I screamed and gripped my arm. Polly covered my mouth and Calliope held my nose. No sound was coming out of me. The pain was even worse than the wine. I lifted my shaking hand up and saw it was covered completely in blood.

I looked over to see Thalia holding the gun still in the air. I knew behind that mask was a look of apathy,"You said oi' could shoot,"

We heard footsteps racing up the steps and everyone immediately scattered. Polly lifted me into my bed and she and Calli went invisible. Polly laid me down and covered me in the blankets and sheets, all while Caliope was still holding my nose and blocking my mouth. Tears streamed down my face but all I felt now was anger. Thalia was gonna pay.

Calli got in the bed with me while Polly sat at the edge,"Hurry," Polly told Calli,"They're almost here.

Calli closed her eyes and I closed mine. She placed her hands over my bullet wound and breathed steadily.

"Come on!" Polly whisper yelled.

Too late.

"We heard a gun shot! Are you okay? What happened?" Shali started screaming.

Dad ran to the window,"Did they come back? Are you hurt? What happened?"

Shali sat me up before Calli could finish her healing process. Blood caked my right arm and tears masked my face. The wound wasn't as bad as before but it definitely looked like I got shot.

"Oh my god!" My dramatic sister shouted,"Dad, she was shot!"

"We have to get you to the hospital, now!" He pulled the rest of the covers off and stood me up.

"No! I'm fine," I say stupidly.

"Fine? You're shot. Why were you even in bed?" Shali asked.

"I thought I could sleep it off?"

I sat in the hospital on a gurney for what felt like forever before the surgeon came in. Apparently I wasn't in critical enough condition for immediate attention. I had no opportunity for Calli to heal me quickly, so I had to go into a whole operation.

The surprisingly young doctor laid me back,"Okay, this shouldn't take very long at all. The nurse already gave..."

I completely tuned him out when I saw Erato walk into the curtain offed room.  I looked back to the doctor to see if he noticed and he didn't. At least she was smart enough to stay unseen.

She got right up to the doctor"s face and observed him. He remained unaware and kept his gaze to the clipboard,"He's cute," She commented,"I wonder if he'll exam me," She winked to me, but I remained silent,"At least talk to me in your head,"

"I told you guys to stay out of my head,"

"Yeah, well for moments like these it can come in handy. Also with getting handy-"

"Don't wanna hear it,"

"Look at him! He looks like a soap opera doctor,"

He was quite attractive. I'm a sucker for blondes.

"See, he's just your type," She snickered.

I snapped out of it when he asked,"Do you have any questions?" I shook my head,"Great, let's start the procedure,"

For an hour my arm was dug into with metal prongs and junk. I was doped up on whatever was in the IV and couldn't feel a thing. Doc told me I had to stay bandaged up for a while and clean it so it wouldn't get infected. I knew as soon as I got home I would just have Calli work her magic.

I walked into the waiting area to see my family with three police officers. I almost stopped when I saw them. How do I explain this? I hate lying and I'm terrible at it, but the truth wasn't an option either.

Dad sat me down and the officer with the far apart eyes took the seat across from me,"Hello, I'm officer Clemont, we have some questions we would like to ask you, Meredith. Is that okay?"

I sat very awkwardly with my arms straight on the arm rests and my body stiff and slightly leaned back,"Sure," I answered very unsurly.

"How's your arm?" He asked kindly.

"You know," Polly's unexpected voice beside me make me flinch,"I kinda always wanted to become a cop,"

Clemont shot me a look consisting of pursed lips and foreward eyebrows,"Are you alright?" He asked.

I swallowed hard and nodded my head. I looked around to see the other officers questioning Shali and Dad. I wondered what they had to say.

"I tried you help, you know," Polly continued while messing carelessly with her nails.

"Polyhymnia, shut up," I thought aggressively.

"Did you happen to catch a glimpse of who shot you?"

Polly answered for me,"Red hair, chubby, midget sized,"

"No."

"Want me to take care of this guy, host?"

"No!" I shouted.

Half the people in the smelly waiting area turned to face me. I put my head down.

"I heard you, I heard you. Were you standing in front of the window when you were shot?"

"Haha, nope, she was not,"

"Yes. I'm trying to listen here of you don't mind,"

" If that thou hast the gift of strength, then know
Thy part is to uplift the trodden low;
Else in a giant's grasp until the end
A hopeless wrestler shall thy soul contend,"

"This isn't the time for your self hatred,"

"We found a gun discarded in the grass across the street from your home. We are almost positive it was the weapon used. Currently it is at a lab being checked for prints. We should have the results in a couple of days," He stood up,"Is there anything you feel you need to tell me?"

Polly chuckled,"Um, yeah, how about I know who the shooter is?"

"No, I don't,"

"Then I'll leave you alone. Hope you get better soon," He tipped his hat to me and walked off to go talk to Dad.

Shali came and sat down next to me,"Hey, kid, how are you doing?" She asked kindly and begun to stroke my hair.

I have always loved my sister. Mom has been away a lot of my life and she's kind of like a second mother to me. She had my Mom's fairer skin and curly hair, opposite of me, really,"I'm doing okay. I just need to use the bathroom real quick," I stood up quickly and walked down the white corridor into the bathroom.

I pushed the door open with much angered force and swiftly entered. I looked to see if anyone was in the bathroom with me. I was alone.

"Thalia, show yourself," I demanded in a firm voice.

"Oi'm sorry, kid. You know oi' didn't mean to shoot ya'"

I spun around and she was leaning on the wall in front of the door,"You planted the gun? Why did you do that?"

"So now they can definitely say it was an attempted murder," Was her response.

"Oh, it was an attempted murder, alright,"

"Involuntary," She quickly corrected.

"What if they find prints?"

"Don't got em'"

"Where did you get the gun? You must of gotten it from somebody,"

"Magic, kid, we are magic," She took out a pipe and lit it up.

Still infuriated at her, I strode to her and grabbed the pipe out of her hand. I licked it all around the tip and shoved it back in her hands.

"You cac! How could you?!" She shouted and stepped towards me.

"How could you shoot me? Huh?"

She reached behind her to and pulled out that wooden bat,"You know bout' me fear of germs! Lick this!" She swung the bat and I ducked just in time. The weapon hit the mirror and it spider webbed but didn't break. I rushed to step back and she raised the bat again,"Oi' feel that Euterpe is ta' blame ere'!"

I fell back onto the floor and looked up to see a terrifying sight above me; a creepy, smiling, sunken eyed, midget about to break my skull. I never realized how freaky the comedy mask really was. I braced myself.

The bat slammed down, but it missed me. It hit right between my legs, well, a piece of it. Sections of the bat fell all around me with a clunk. It was severed.

I looked back up to see Euterpe with a stone cold look on her face. She had her guitar in hand.

"My bat!" Thalia shouted.

"Um, my bat," Balancing herself on top of one of the stalls was Mel; the real owner of the bat. She didn't seem to be too concerned about it though.

"What happened to never hurting me, Thalia, hmm?" I questioned with much attitude.

The comedic Muse let out a small laugh,"Germs make me do crazy things. I'm okay now," She sighed in relief and walked out of the door.

Eu held her hand out to me and helped me up off the ground,"You better leave," She told me.

"Thanks, Eu, I owe you one," I told her as I walked out the door.

"You owe me a lot!" I heard her yell to me.

I went down a crowded hallway, feeling better that everything was somewhat, not really settled.

Clio caught up to me,"You're going the wrong way,"

I stopped dead and looked up at the directions on the wall. I saw that the waiting room was to the left of the bathroom and not the right,"Ah, Clio, what would I ever do without you?" I ruffled his combed hair and began the other way.

"Probably just get lost," He answered and straightened his hair back out,"Despite being the Muse of Comedy, Thalia isn't very funny,"

"She's not even funny when she is trying. How did she end up so pathetic? And Erato. She was flirting with my doctor during my surgery,"

He flicked his wrist at me," I'm sure so it was that she felt more comfortable. She's afraid of hospitals. And also, you're one to talk about being pathetic. Your best friend is a little kid,"

I "ah-ah-ah-ed" him,"My best friend is an old man in a little kid's body,"

"Old man?"

"You act like it,"

"Let's not forget that you are in pajamas,"

I grinded to a halt again and looked down at my attire; striped pink flannel,"Ah, it's a hospital, they'll understand,"

I felt the familiar wave of sleepiness overcome my body. My pace slowed to a leazurly drag and I felt my shoulders and head sink with each step. Nurses rushed past me to the sound of flat lines and patients just shoved right on past. Why always when something new and exciting was happening? Why when I never had a place to sleep peacefully?

I managed to drag my exhausted body back to the waiting room and slumped down into a cushioned chair. And under I went.

I woke up in the car with my face planted against the window. A blob of steam formed where I breathed. It was afternoon time then. Dad was driving and Shali resided in the passenger side. She was on the phone talking to someone, mostly likely Ainsley, her girlfriend.

"Meredith, are you awake?" I faintly heard my Dad calling.

I cleared my throat,"Uh, yeah, I'm up," I sat up and stretched slightly, wondering who carried me into the car.

"Well, when we get home, we have to start packing," He told me cautiously while looking at my reflection in the front mirror.

"Packing for what?" I ask in my usual hoarse voice.

"The police said it would be best if we switch towns for a while, until this all blows over, or until they can catch whoever is doing this, because they said they will most likely not let up. They said they have an apartment open for us whenever we are ready," He explained.

"That doesn't sound too bad, actually," I responded.

"I haven't gotten to the bad part; you'll have to switch schools," He paused and I could see the look on his face in the mirror. He expected a blow out.

"Okay," I stated simply.

"What about your friends?"

"I'll make new ones," The only friends I actually had also happen to be my bullies. I never had time for interaction with actual humans, or because of the Muses always somehow ruined relationships. They were the reason I was almost thrown into a loony bin when I was younger. I always complained about hearing voices and seeing people that weren't there. They passed it off as imaginary friends and I learned to keep my mouth shut.

I wasn't worried about the extremists finding and hurting us. There was no way they could. I was actually quite glad about it all.

Mel appeared next to me on the leather seats,"The new room better be depressing,"



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.