The Blood Touch | Teen Ink

The Blood Touch

September 12, 2016
By CinderblockRain BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
More by this author
CinderblockRain BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
I was so focused on putting you back together that I didn't notice that you were ripping me apart, and now my hands are cut and bloody and I'm not sure if it's from holding your broken pieces or mine.


Author's note:

This is a dystopian sequel to one of my friend's utopians. I don't know what I want people to think of this story, I just want it to make them think. 

Some people are just born with death in their blood. Whether it be hunger for the death of others, or if it's them that's gonna die. They could tell it was there, but no one knew what it meant. It never did anything, but they knew it was there. The only real difference it made was the host’s hair. It added bright red highlights, streaks of color that glowed whenever their blood was triggered. They said you could only be born with one type of blood, either to make death or to die. And this wasn't just any people saying this, it was the Immortals. They had been alive for over ten thousand years, and ever since the blood had made its first appearance, most of them dedicated their never ending lives to study it. They knew all there was to know that was available to anyone at the time. They knew it all. But they were wrong. Me and a few others were born with both. The signs don't lie. The bad blood hosts either have or become a black liquid shadow, with red streaks running down them. The person usually didn't change, just the shadows. The good blood hosts got red streaks in their hair, and their shadow disappeared. But I was different. I was breaking the system. I had red streaks in my somewhat long caramel hair, but I didn't lose my shadow. Instead it was normal, but the highlights in my hair showed through me, and glowed vibrantly in my shadow. I found a small group of others like me, and we rebelled. The normal citizens would avoid or imprison the bad bloods, and surround the good bloods. We were both, and they didn't know if they wanted to avoid us with the bad or cherish us like the good, so we were abandoned. Left alone. Even my own parents left me. As we rebelled, the people forgot about us. They didn’t remember us, our names, or our stories. We were the lost chapters in a book. And if this book was written by anyone who actually got to know us, you might find that those chapters, our chapters would be the most interesting ones, the most fun, exciting ones. And that’s how I lived, with the Half-Bloods, enjoying every day as if it was our last, because we always feared it was. We lived with the others, in a place where nobody would find us. And no one did. For seven years.

The author's comments:

I'm sorry if it sounds unprofessional, I am just a freaking kid/teen, so deal with it. 

On October 17, 2632, on my birthday, I was turning sixteen. Sixteenth birthdays are the only ones we do something for. The others is just a Happy Birthday, you’re one year closer to dying. Sixteenth birthdays though, Those were special. If you lived outside in the city, your parents would buy you a personal DJ, they’d throw a huge party at the Mansion, They’d get you a huge, sixteen layer cake, and all the food you could handle, AND they would invite the whole city. We don’t live out there. We don’t have parents to buy us all that. But it was still a special occasion for us. We’d get a one layer, rectangle cake. And we’d all sit in one room. It sounds quite sad I’ll admit, but it was one of those special moments that you have when you play ping pong in the basement with your family. The kind that you never want to end, and you laugh and talk, and nobody yells at nobody, and it’s so fun even though all you’re doing is practically nothing. It’s like that, but with a one layer rectangle cake. In my defense, it’s really good cake, especially all you live off of is water bottles that the people in the town throw away and some bread. Problem is, it only happens once, and all you want is for it to be perfect. It usually isn’t, but it is still incredible anyway. And, today is my birthday. The sixteenth birthday. I was about to blow out my candles when something strange happened. A candle flame stopped flickering. It froze solid, like a clay candle model. I reached out, and very cautiously touched the frozen flame. Immediately when I touched it, a single drop of blood fell out of my finger, and directly onto the top of the candle. I looked down, but there was no puncture on my hand, no source of the blood at all. Suddenly, like a glass model coming to life, the flame turned red, glowing much brighter than before. I wondered as I stepped back, “what's going on?!” I was used to strange things happening, but this was unlike any other, never been researched. The flames all turned a blood red, and grew, dancing up almost two feet tall. They faded to blue, then all of a sudden, everything flashed red, a flash so bright, it left us sightless, just bright red everywhere. A high pitched sound fills my ears, and the red faded to a dark grey, and I blinked my eyes open. I knew it was dark in here, but I didn’t know it was this dark. Everything seemed so dark, that it all looked black and white. That wasn’t normal. Everyone else seems just as stunned as I am, all looking around, maybe even seeing all of the colorless features like me.
“Who else sees this?” Ben asks. Ben is the second up to the leader of our group.
“Sees what?” I ask.
“Um, nothing?”
“Yup, I’m seeing it,” I reply, knowing exactly what he is talking about.
“Same.” A few other people say. We all stand up, and look around. The once neon green and silver cake was now just black, white, and shades of grey. Only the red in the candles was still visible, anything that wasn’t red was now black and white. Nobody speaks now, we all just look around and take it all in. Sometimes you don’t need words, you just have to see it for yourself.  My blood red tank top is still it’s vibrant scarlet, Jett’s denim jacket, or Verity’s jeans are now a soft grey. A sickly shadow seeps in across the floor like black fog, almost liquid, sloshing across the ground, little ripples and waves like a dark gas ocean. The shadow rises up to our knees. This is not the world I know. The shadow starts screaming, and wraps itself around Bailey, one of our fighters. Katherine tries to grab his wrist and drag him out, but she can’t get him. The shadow drags him under it’s watery surface, we hear his choked yelling for help, but it’s too late. We stand for a second, thinking about our friend’s loss. The shadow interrupts, letting out another ear piercing scream, and we all rush to the door, helping each other get out of the gap, about four feet in the air. We made it high up so no one would suspect it to be an entrance to anywhere special, but when it comes to escape, it might have not been the best option. We all get out, and the shadow calms down from what we can see through the narrow crack of a door, and just ripples like a calm lake on a windy day, resting in our base. We turn around and finally see our surroundings: it’s the same as inside.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.