A disease | Teen Ink

A disease

By Rosa123, New York City, New York
Rosa123, New York City, New York

Never Give Up!!!

Yada Yada Yada

YADA YADA YADA

It was the year 2025 and the world was coming to an end. My family and I were trying to survive but it wasn't easy. A disease. A disease that was contagious and everyone was getting. It was like a virus; going to a person each time. Now this world was coming to an end, even animals were dying because of this disease. A disease that my family and I are trying to survive not to get it every single day. We were probably the only survivals with a house to leave in, well at least that's how it felt. Things weren't the same here anymore. Nobody is visiting each other's house. No kids running through the neighborhood, not even kids running around say how do you do. Everything was always quiet and dark as if we live in a cave and trying not to get eaten by a bear.

My family and I haven't been outside already for days, maybe weeks, maybe even months. With little food we had to survive. With little food and a sort of big family, which is me, mother, brother, and little sister. All together we lived, not to happy but happy we were alive. Without father it's been hard for all of us. Mother told us father went to get more food for all of us. But after a while he never returned home. M-mother kept telling us that he will come back home. We waited and waited, days pass; passing by so fast, waiting for father to come back home. Until mother gave up and decided that the best thing was to forget father. That's because one day I heard mother talking with brother saying that father had died because of the disease. She told brother that it was the only thing she can imagine that would happen to father. I decided to take it easy and not show mother that I am a little kid and that I was a strong person.

Since that day on mother decided for us to not go outside ever again. To stay away from all the windows and door. Mother had covered all the windows, all of them. She had put a lot of locks on the door and told us she never wanted us near the door, not even for a second. Our house was small and dark, so nobody would think we live in here. Mother would always say "nobody needs to know we are in here. 'Cause we don't want their disease here." We lived here alone thinking about what will be next, what will happen to us. Is this really the end for all of us?

One day mother and brother were arguing. This made me nervous because this had never happened before, ever. "Look mom, if I don't go out to find food, we are going to die of hunger in here!" brother argue. "Yes, I know. But-" mother begin to reason. "No! Mom we have to eat! We are a strong family and in order to be stronger we have to eat! There is no way we are going to die of hunger! And there is no reason to die of hunger just because you're scared! I know dad went out there to get food and never returned back! So it's my responsibility as the man of the house to keep this family alive! And we are not going to die of hunger! So I'm going out to find food no matter what!" Brother yelled so loud it made my heart shake. Little sister and I were standing in front of brother bedroom door; with the door open of course. Brother was now shoving plastic bags in his big pocket pants and sweater. Little sister was crying, I was trying to keep her quiet so brother doesn't notice us there but it was no use. I kept telling her everything's okay when everything wasn't okay but still it wasn't working. I can understand why she is crying, all of this was so scary especially for her.

"Listen to me, honey! Mother yelled. Brother stop shoving bad in his pockets but he didn't look at mother. "I know you want to help. And yes I will recall the fact that I'm scared because I am! But I-I rather die of hunger then die with that disease! I don't want anything to happen you! You are still MY baby! We lost you father because of this disease and I'm not losing you!" mother yelled and fell on her knees crying. I covered little sister ears when mom said that dad died because of the disease, she was the only one who doesn't know dad died; what do you expect she is only five years old. That's when I was tired of all of this mess and yelled out (still covering little sister ears), "big brother stop all of this! We are a team, remember? And-and I don't want no more of this! Please brother! Are you even li-" "Stay out of this," he said low not looking back one bit. "Huh," I said confuse to what he said because I didn't hear him. "I said stay out of this! I'm going to find food and that is settle!" He yelled really loud and went towards the door of his bedroom pushing me an little sister out of the way. "Wait no!" mother yelled out and went behind him. Little sister and I went behind them as well.

"I won't be long now! So don't go out looking for, I won't be far, I promise! But whatever you do don't go out! STAY HERE!!!" Brother said sounding very serious. "And that's for you Isabella, take care of Perla, got it!?" brother told me very serious. "Y-yes!" I said nervous. He shut the door shut, and left. Mother fell on her knees again crying as I locked the door lock. As hours pass by with nothing to eat, whatsoever, we waited for brother to come back. We all had hope for big brother. We waited together in the livingroom. Mother was really worried, she couldn't stop herself from walking back and forth. Little sister was sitting on the floor hugging her doll, (the one father had given her for her birthday). And I was sitting on the couch, shaking one of my legs very nervously. When suddenly we heard a very loud knock on the door. Mother quickly ran to the door. "Mother! Wait! We don't know who it is! I yelled quickly before she could even reach the door. "Huh," mother said. I went to the kitchen quickly and grabbed a pan. "Wait. What are you going to do!" mother said desperately. "Don't worry, mother. Just stay back." I said trying to be brave. I was now holding the pan with my two hands, ready to whack someone with it.

Mother hurried to little sister and huddle her. I quickly got closed to the door and almost jumped to the ceiling when I heard the door knock again. As I took all the locks slowly trying not to make noise I said, "who is it?" The person didn't say anything but then i heard a ugh. I was like what the- "Just open the door already!" BROTHER Yelled really loud but he sounded as if he was struggling. I quickly open the door really fast.mother drop into tears and little sister, too. "B-brother-" I said beginning to cry. "Oh! Shut it already! You guys are acting like big crybabies!" Brother said holding a bunch of full bags in his hands and dropping them on the floor as he closed the door shut. Then mother, little sister, and I went to brother and gave him a bear hug. Brother tried pushing all of us as if he didn't want the hug, but then he gave up and now he trap with the hug. Right now I don't even care brother called us crybabies I was just so happy he was okay and alive!

When we finished giving brother the bear hug, I went to lock the door with all the locks. Then brother pressed his stomach in pain. "Ah," he said closing his eyes shut and pressing his stomach harder. "What is it, honey?" mother quickly said worried. "N-nothing," brother said still in pain but he was trying to hide it. "Oh! I. know. What's. Happening." I said trying to sound as if I was making fun of him. Brother open his eyes quickly very wide as if he was surprise of something. "Brother hunge," little sister said. "You're right about that!" Brother said with a nervous smile. "Oh! Ha ha! Okay then let's eat!" mother said giggling. "Sounds good to me!" brother said with a smile.

As more time passed by; mother cooking and all, we all sat down on the table as mother passed the food to us to eat. "So, honey how did you get all this food," mother said as she sat down to eat. "Doesn't matter," brother said with his mouth full. "Eww," little sister said pointing a finger at brother. Oh! Quit it! You do it, too!" brother said. "Ahaha!" little sister started laughing. "Hey, don't laugh when you're eating you can choke," I said to little sister very serious. "Sorry," she said. "Yes. Yes it does matter. Now tell me where did you get all this food," mother said. Brother gave mother a look and said, " I found it." "You found it?" I said. "You didn't steal it, did you?" "No! You calling me a thief!" brother yelled. "N-no. I-I just thought-" I started to say. "Thought nothing! Now keep that mouth shut!" brother yelled at me and it got really quiet. "Okay, lets not fight now," mother said trying to make things better. " I'm out of here! I'll be in my room," brother said getting up. When he was getting up he pressed his stomach again in pain. "Honey?" mother said gently. "I'll be in my room," he said sounding very serious. "This is all my fault, like always. I'll be in my room. Thanks for the food," i said and then left. "What I'm I going to do with this family. No! I have to be a stronger mother..."

A little bit later I heard mother talking with brother. (Brother room is right next to mine.) "Honey," mother started to say. "What is it?" Brother said serious. "Tell me what's bothering you?" mother said. "Nothing" he said not looking at mother. "Come on. I know you too well," mother said. "Is Perla sleeping?" brother asked. "Yes. but-" mother started to say. "What about Isabella, is she sleeping?" brother asked. "Y-yeah. I think so." mother said. "Whatever,"brother said still not looking at mother.

"I was walking to find food," brother started to say still not looking at mother. He was sitting on his bed with his hand on his stomach. "Huh," mother said because he just started talking out of nowhere. "Then I saw car lights, so I thought, 'hey maybe someone in that car that can help.' That's when someone grabbed my arm and pull me-" brother started saying very serious still not looking at mother. "What?!" Mother yelled. "Shhh!" brother shush mother. "Sorry. What happened next?" Mother said worried. "When I was pulled down to the ground behind a bunch of broken cars. There were a lot of people there... were kids, adult, all kinds of people. They looked poor, there clothes were ripped apart, women and girls hair all messy as if they haven't brushed it in days. Their hair was all dirty, everyone there were all dirty." brother said and then swallowed hard. "..." mother didn't know what to say, she opened her mouth but nothing came out.

"That's when the old man who pulled me said 'are you nuts? If that car gets you, your dead meat. You hear me, dead meat.' I-I was terrified. That's when I said, 'I just need food for my family.' Then he said 'my that's a nice word, I use to have one of those. But I'm afraid to say I haven't seen food for a long time, you know.' 'Oh that's okay, I guess..." Brother said still not looking at mother. He swallowed and continued, "then I asked the old man, 'who is in that car?' Then the old man answered, 'the government son, the government.' 'the government?' I said. 'Yep. those people are bad. If you're poor or got the disease they kill you, if they find you. Get close to that car and you die.' The old man said. Then I gasp and said 'die?' 'Yep.' the old man said. 'So you're poor?' I asked the old man. 'No. i got the disease.' the old man said. 'The d-disease,' I said thinking the old man was jokin-" brother was saying when mother cut him off. "D-disease," mother said with her eyes wide open. "Mother, please let me finish," brother said swallowing harder trying to be a man and not cry.

"Then the old man said 'Yep! And I'm about to die.' I was terrified my eyes were wide open. 'H-how did you t-the d-disease,' I asked very nervously. 'I was touched by someone who had it and now I got it. Crazy, right?' he said like nothing, like if he didn't know what he was talking about. 'Oh my looks like you have it now-" brother said. "No! NoNoNo! No! This isn't true." mother yelled like a crazy person. "Is true mother, before a left and found food somewhere the old man died! We are all dead people!" brother yelled at mother. Mother fell on her knees and begin crying like crazy.

I have the disease too, right? It's all over. I'm dead. My eyes were wide open I layed on my bed not crying. Then I thought in my head, "I hate the government. Why would people be so selfish? How can people be so selfish?!" Now I was crying and so I cried myself to sleep.

The next day, we lost brother. H-he died. We all cried so much, we had to lie to little sister, and tell her that he was just tired. That he was only sleeping. At least she believed us.

The next day, we lost mother. S-she died. This time i had to tell little sister the truth. Then i told her "we have to be strong. 'Cause we are a strong family." she agreed after a long time of crying. I cooked with the food we had. We ate and then went to bed...

The next day, I lost little sister. S-she died. Now I was all alone. I know tomorrow I was next. It was going to happen. I was in bed not moving waiting to die. "Stupid government! This was all the government's felt. The world will end soon. Everyone was going to die. I hope that mean selfish government dies, too!" I said to myself. I know I'm silly, right.

The next day, Isabella died. The empty house with everyone in bed. The empty house so dark and quiet. So quiet you can hear a pin drop from far far away. With sadness:

THE END!!!