Eris | Teen Ink

Eris

March 22, 2019
By Lexiebeth2003, Pinedale, Wyoming
More by this author
Lexiebeth2003, Pinedale, Wyoming
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I stand in the empty womens bathroom, my hands brace me against the spotless counter as I gaze into the mirror. I brush a strand of long black hair out of my lipgloss. My hoop earrings dangle at my chin. I take a step back and study my figure. My cocktail dress is black as night and hugs my curves, the bottom billows out into a mermaid tail style. I glance once more at my reflection before leaving the restroom.

Being at these kinds of parties is like being on a different planet. The low lighting and the smells of cheap perfume and alcohol give the large elegant room the feeling of a casino late at night. Everywhere I look is someone, or something expensive. All around me A list celebrities glide across the floor like gods and goddesses in tuxedos and silk gowns. I tell myself I fit in as I stride over to the large red curtain concealing the performance stage. I slip behind the heavy curtain. A frantic looking woman with tired eyes approaches me. Her hair is smoothed into a bun so tight I wonder if her head hurts. She is several inches shorter than me but emeninates with a sense of authority.

“You, where is your snake? You’re scheduled to begin your entertainment in two minutes.”  She has a thick accent, maybe russian. I walk over to the cage, a red curtain matching the one hiding the stage is draped over it, concealing it’s content. As dramatically as possible I whip off the curtain. The small women looks taken back as she stares at the sleeping serpent within.

“Ahg, the dramatics in this place.” She sighs, as she makes her way over to the singer scheduled to perform later in the night.

I tediously unhinge the cage’s simple lock. Honestly I’m surprised Eris hasn't figured it out. I guess she has no reason to, people don’t bug her in there, and it’s cool.

“Eris.” I coo to the reptile. Suddenly the constrictor’s massive head pops out of the coils of green scaly flesh. “Time to rise and shine baby.” I smile as she slithers out of her cage, up my arm and around my shoulders. She slowly arranges herself, draping her body over my shoulders and neck like a scaly scarf.

I make my way to center stage, just as I do the spot light flashes on. Out of the corner of my eye I watch as the singer’s jaw drops. I turn and smirk in his direction, embarrassed he closes his mouth, tousles his blonde hair then ducks into the shadows.

In a dramatic flourish the curtain parts like a red sea. The previously silent crowd erupts into a cacophony of oohs and ahs, and one high pitched scream. I stand very still, until the entirety of the crown returns to silence. I click my stiletto on the stage once. Eris’s head shoots up and her eyes flash open. Two more clicks and she flies off my body, landing nearly five feet in front of me in a coil. I snap my fingers once, she rises three feet above the ground, the rest of her body still coiled beneath her acting as a brace. I raise my arms above my head and begin to move my hips. The snake copies my motion, continuously bending into an S shape. The crowd is mesmerized by how the snake moves. Her scales gleam like emeralds and rubies in the stage light. Suddenly I stop dancing, holding still as stone.

Eris stops too, holding as still as I am. I click my heel again. Eris slithers toward me at top speed. The crowd gasps in surprise. Her jaw is unhinged and her pearly fangs gleam in the stage light. She stops an inch in front of me and closes her mouth. I click the stiletto twice more. Moving like silk, she begins to wrap her body around me, like she would her prey. I feel her pressure, yet she is gentle, she has always been so careful not to injure me. She stops at my waist, she uses the lower half of her body to hold herself upright as she extends her head toward the crowd. About two feet of her body length is extended straight to the crowd. I click my heel. She releases and falls off my body like she’s been shot. She lies on the stage unmoving, she is such a drama queen.

A few people from the crowd gasp and the crowd begins to murmur. I stomp my foot, giving her the signal for the final trick. At full speed she wraps her body around me, like she’s climbing a tree. She shoots off me into the air, like an acrobat flying from a trapeze. She lands in a coil on the tip of the stage. She bares her fangs and hisses for the crowd. A drunk man in the front row passes out and several women scream. I click my heel twice, and Eris slithers back to me, slowly. She once again coils herself around me. I give a short bow and the crowd goes wild.

I slowly walk off the stage and duck back into the shadows. Eris makes her way from my waist to my shoulders. I walk over to her cage and extend my arm into it. She slowly slides into the cage, then neatly arranges herself into neat coils.

“Good job girl. I’ll bring you back a treat.” I say softly as I close the hinge. Just as I’m arranging the curtain over the cage someone clears their throat behind me.

“That was amazing.” The blonde singer stands behind me.

“Uh, thanks.” I say, taking a step back, and bumping Eris’s cage.

“My names Ash.” He smiles extending his hand for me to shake.

“Viper.” I say accepting the hand shake.

“Viper, that’s a fitting name.” He says, getting even closer and placing his hand on top of the cage. He’s trapped me between him and Eris, he’s so close I can smell the whiskey on his breath.

“Actually she’s a constrictor, not a viper.” I say, ducking away from him. He puts one large hand around my wrist pulling me back towards him.

“After my act, wanna grab a drink, Viper?” He asks. His bright blue eyes are covered in a glaze, as if I couldn’t already tell he had a few drinks.

“Yeah we’ll see buddy.” I mumble yanking my wrist away.

“I’ll take that as a yes.” He smiles at me before making his way on stage. I leave Eris to rest and make my way to the bar. Actors and their friends lounge everywhere, drinking from fancy glasses and laughing too much. I take a stool near a plant on the edge of the bar. I order one drink and watch the man begin to make it. Behind me the sweet sound of piano begins and it’s soon accompanied by a smooth, deep voice.

Ash is singing so casually you'd think he was at home in the shower. But it sounds amazing. He wanders the stage serenading the crowd. He sounds exactly like you'd imagine a jazz singer to.

The bartender slides me my finished cocktail with a smile. I pick the olives out and slide them off the fancy toothpick onto a small napkin. I listen to Ash as I take small sips of my drink. After about ten minutes my cocktail glass is empty and Ash announces his final song before he takes a break. I leave the empty glass and scoop up the napkin and three olives. I head for the backstage entrance, weaving my way through shimmering gowns and clouds of cigar smoke. Somewhere in the background the singing stops and a new song begins to play on the piano.

I slip through the backstage entrance and make my way over Eris. Gently I remove the curtain. She is sleeping and doesn’t even stir as I unhinge the lock.

“Eris girl, wakeup.” I say quietly. Suddenly her head pops up and she studies me with her black, shining eyes. “I have a treat.” I say extending the olives toward her. She flicks her black tounge out in excitement and begins o slither towards me. She extends her head towards me. I feed her each olive individually. After her snack she seems unsatisfied and begins to sniff me.

“I’m sorry girl, they aren’t selling steak tonight. This is the best I could do for now.” I rub her scaly head with one finger. “How about after this I call for takeout from that twenty four hour chinese place?” She just flicks her tongue again.

“How about that drink now?” Someone says behind me. I turn around and face Ash, he flashes his white teeth to me in a devilish smile. I can feel him looking me up and down, his eyes resting for perhaps too long on features not even close to my face.

“Oh yes, sure.” I turn away from him and extend my arm towards Eris. She slithers up it and nestles herself around my shoulders, bumping my hoops and causing them to sway.

“Oh, you’re bring the snake?” He asks disappointed.

“Of course, unless, you’re afraid.” I smirk. “Of course Eris wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

“No, Of course I’m not scared.” He stammers, his cheeks turning red. “Lets get those drinks.” Eris rests her head and begins to doze. She stirs when Ash links his arm around mine.

Ash leads me through the chatting celebrities. They suddenly give us a very wide berth, all gawking at the snoozing serpent around my neck.  We make our way to the bar and sit across from where I sat earlier. Ash chats with the bartender as he makes our drinks. Ash orders whiskey on the rocks with a squeeze of lime for himself.

“What do you want love?” He asks me. Inside I cringe at what he called me, but I don’t say anything about it. “I don’t really care, whatever you think I’d like, darling.” I spit the last word. He orders me some fruity martini, in which I have no interest. The tender hands us our finished drinks. A thin slice of orange floats on the top of mine, its propped up by three ice cubes and lightly dusted with cinnamon. The liquid beneath is gold and kind of shimmery. Just as I am about to take a sip Ash taps my shoulder.

“Appetizers.” He says taking two small pieces of sushi off the tray a server is holding. I turn away from the bar and pick out four pieces. There’s at least fifty pieces on the tray but I just take the closest four. Two for me, and two for Eris. I swivel back facing Ash and my drink. He gives me a smirk.

“How about a toast.” He suggests. I oblige holding my drink eye level.

“To, making new friends.” He almost laughs as our glasses clink.

Just as I’m about to sip the fruity liquid Eris springs to life and thrashes the glass with her tail,s ending it flying to the floor and exploding into shards. Everyone around me stops. The bartender, Ash, and a woman in a white feather boa stare with their mouths open. I can feel myself blushing. Suddenly Eris flies off my shoulders, flinging herself at Ash. She wraps her scaly body around him, tight. His reaction is delayed but soon he begins screaming.

“Ahh, it’s possessed, from the devil!” He screams as he swats and claws in futile attempts to remove the snake. “Off get it off me!” He yells. Now almost everyone in the club has stopped and is gawking. Several men rush to help. I stand between them and Eris, stopping them from grabbing her.

“Release!” I yell, turning to look at the snake. She obeys, but not before knocking a bottle from Ash’s pocket. She returns to me and slithers up my legs, around my waist and back to my shoulders. One of the men bends to retrieve the bottle.

“Rohypnol.” He whispers examining the bottle. “This, this is a rape drug!” He exclaims. Ash remains sitting on the floor, surrounded by broken glass and puddles of my drink. He rubs his forehead with his palm.

For a moment I’m surprised, but soon the feeling goes away. Two of the men that came to help at first are now restaining Ash. They walk him to the exit. I don’t watch as he is escorted from the premises, I simply turn and order a new drink.

“I think that deserves some more sushi.” I say, stroking the now alert serpent’s head. She nuzzles my neck. The woman in the white feather boa makes her way around the server on the floor cleaning up the glass. She takes the seat next to me.

“What an animal you’ve got their.” She smiles nodding to Eris.

“Yeah, she’s pretty amazing.” I smile. “Her name is Eris.”

“May I?” She asks, extending her arm towards the now calm snake.

“Yes, she’s normally very tame, and gentle.” The woman begins to pet her head. Eris resists at first, but soon takes a liking to the women. Her features are soft, she is probably in her mid thirties. She has nearly white blonde hair pulled up into a loose hairstyle. The bartender sets my drink down. I look around, everyone has returned to chatting and smoking, still a few people sneak peaks at me and whisper.

“I’m Emily.” The woman says, offering me her daintily gloved hand.

“Viper.” I say shaking it.

“Oh, too bad Eris here is a constrictor, otherwise you two could match.”She giggles.

“Finally, someone understands.” I smile.

“Your snakes not only beautiful, but now a hero, you know.” She says, stroking Eris’s head once more.

“Yep, I don’t want to think about where I’d be without her.” I smile as I take a sip of my drink.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.