hard work | Teen Ink

hard work

took me 2 weeks

Hard Work

"Successful people are not gifted they just work hard then succeed on purpose." This quote was said by G.K Nelson. Nelson was never the strongest or the best at what she did but she always worked hard. Her hard work helped her stand out to others. This also helped her get to places she wanted to be. Hard work has also helped me get to where I wanted to be. Hard work can turn nothing into something. It can also help someone become something better. Hard work is a wonderful thing and it can help people achieve their goals. A lot of people know how to work hard and these people are most successful in what they do. That's why hard work is so good because it is changing people every day. That is why hard work can get anyone anywhere.

It all started when I was at a soccer tournament. I was playing with older kids, but I was already small for my age. So I wasn't getting to play much. The next time I went in I took a minute to breathe the cold air and feel the wind pushing me. I told myself just to try super hard. I played really good and tried as hard as I could. After that, I got to play a lot more than I did the last game. This just goes to show how hard work can get anyone where they want to be. Later on into the tournament, my teammates started to trust me more with the ball, and we played better. After that game my teammate, Nick came up to me and said: "you worked hard that game keep it up maybe we can win." In the long run me working harder made the whole team better. We went on to win that tournament. I felt really good because a big reason we won is the fact of how hard we all worked as a team, and I was the one who started it. This is why hard work can get anyone anywhere.

Another day I was at a soccer tryout for the high school I would be later going to. This was 2 years ago. When I was only in seventh grade. We started the tryout with just a normal warm up. Then we got into some drills that worked on technique, so the coaches could see our ability and skill level with the ball. Then came the fun stuff scrimmaging and 1v1s. The reason the coaches wanted us to do this is to see our skill level with the ball. also to see how well we can beat others. I came out on the top in 1v1s. During the scrimmage, the coach came up to me and said: " I don't know if you are going to make it this year." This really worried me. So I knew I had to do something. I remembered how hard work had helped me in the past. I thought maybe that's is what the coaches want to see so I tried as hard as I could. Then toured the end of the scrimmage I scored 2 more goals and had 1 assist. Later into the tryout, the coach said: " keep it up, Goodman." This made me feel really confident that I was going to make the team. This also meant that my working harder meant a lot to the coaches. At the end of the tryouts, all the kids who had tried out were sitting in the bleachers. The coaches would call a kid or a group of kids and call them back to talk to them, and if the kid didn't come back when the coaches came to call the next kid that meant they were supposed to leave and didn't make the team. Well, a lot of my good friends were not coming back, so at the very end, I and my friend cole got called back last. The coaches told us we just barely made the team, but that there was a lot coming are away. This just goes to show how hard work can get anyone anywhere.

One time, Around two years ago. I was at soccer with a big group of my friends when we arrived at bellarmine they split us into groups by is age, so I was still with all my friends. We started the camp by doing drills, keep away, and footwork. We were all there to get better. So it was really hot and we were all working hard to improve for the soccer season in the fall. So we had all done the camp the year before too and they have a hard work award, so I made my goal to get it. So throughout the rest of the week, I worked as hard as I could. About halfway through the coaches, we starting to notice how hard I was working. Then came the one drill that I hate because of how hard it is to do, but it makes you better. So I worked as hard as I could to the point I through up. After that, we went and ate lunch, and had a one hour break. During this break, the head coach of the University of Bellarmine soccer team came up to me and asked for my name. I had no idea why he wanted my name, but then he said: "you have a bright future." That made me feel really good about myself. So toward the end of the camp, the coaches brought all of us out to the field and started to give awards to every age group. They finally got to my age group and called my name up and gave me the hard work award. Not only did I just get the award but I also got better, so hard work helped me get to where I wanted to be. Later on, in life, this has helped me in soccer and other areas of my life. That's why hard work can get anyone anywhere.

Anyone can get anywhere with hard work. I have used this to better myself from getting better at soccer to helping me reach my goals. One day my dad was talking to my sister about hard work. He said, " that if anyone were to not be very talented at something they were doing, hard work could make anyone look a lot better." I thought that was a very true and strong statement. I have also applied hard work in school because once you get older it's important to keep your grades up. I have been applying hard work to everything in life, and I feel that hard work can help anyone become a better person than what they are now. Maybe try to work just a little harder in everything you do for a week and see how it affects you. I strongly believe that hard work can get anyone anywhere because it has helped me a lot.