Revelation | Teen Ink

Revelation

By smellyfeet420, Keller, Texas
smellyfeet420, Keller, Texas

@ Moderators: Don't touch.

I rummage through documents in a desperate manner. My speed and carelessness result in several small cuts on my fingers but the stinging doesn’t faze me for even half a second as my mind screams for me to continue, begging for any sort of evidence to point me in a direction opposite of where my investigation was taking me. Never in the past had I let stress overcome me over something as mundane as a (very probable) mere possibility, but I needed proof now more than ever if I was to ease my paranoia of my worst nightmare becoming a reality.

For the past year or so, countless serial killings had been plaguing this great city. The killer’s victims were all identified as nobles with a history of using corrupt tactics to escape punishment for their crimes. What horrified citizens the most, however, was the way in which they had been killed. Bodies completely ravaged, throats ripped out, and their faces showcasing what can only be described as the horror of a criminal facing his final judgement. Blood stains in the shape of a ferocious beast’s fangs covered their clothes, showcasing a bloodlust that rivaled even the most notorious of serial killers I had ever seen throughout my investigative career. This beast’s unquenched craving for death was not by its own will, however, but rather by command of its master, whom it held unmatched loyalty and love towards.

While it is true that any man with a large enough dog could be labelled as the culprit, it was not the beast itself that brought me fear. It was instead the killer’s carelessness in carrying out his most recent crime that provided me with a form of identifying his true self. In a small pool of the victim’s own blood, I had discovered the most beautiful gem I had ever laid my eyes on. Though small, it was a bright shade of red that could easily captivate anyone who laid eyes on it and had been clearly polished with great care, evident through the way it shimmered when light shone on its surface. I had seen a ruby of this exact shape before and it was a perfect match to those engraved onto the collar of Lord Karuma’s greyhound, Balmer.

I so desperately wanted to believe that he was innocent. I had known the man for six years and had grown to trust him as more than just an investigative partner. He was a dear friend who I hoped would remain a lifelong companion of mine and up until now, I’d never had any reason to abandon my trust in him. How could I have ever expected someone I held so dear in my heart to harbour such a vile secret from me?

Memories fill my mind as I read through these files. During sleepless nights, sneaking to the outskirts of the city to stargaze was a common occurrence. These were the only times we felt completely alone, but our deep bond provided me with enough company to rival even the most crowded of rallies. And before we knew it, our hands were intertwined. Mindless chatter was replaced with the comforting silence of each other’s presence. Nothing could ever bring me more joy than being so close to my best friend like this- physically, and through our attachment to one another.

That’s when the realization comes to me with a force of a swift bullet. I couldn’t have expected him to be hiding such a secret from me because it was a complete impossibility. He was inspiring, noble, and just throughout his own pursuit of the truth and never allowed himself to be led astray!

… But none of the evidence I had now could prove that. I couldn’t fathom how I could ever identify this mystery culprit when my thoughts were constantly at war with one another, jumping between basic facts and the sickening case of puppy love I had disguised as faith for my companion.

A sigh of frustration escapes my lips for what feels like the millionth time this night as I return the evidence to its proper location but not before turning to gaze at the window from across the room. Moonlight, soft and calming, filters through the blinds and I’m reminded that it had gotten much more late than I had initially anticipated and upon finishing with my task of reorganization, I decide that I’d be much more productive in the morning, when my mind is refreshed and I’m capable of processing my thoughts. And with that, I retire for the night.

~~~~~

Days have passed since the events of that night and my seemingly endless loop of failures to uncover anything new had caused me to grow bleak and hopeless at the idea of turning this case around. I glance at Lord Karuma, who was sitting beside me on this luxurious couch. He had alongside me to witness most of my struggling, but could never quite find the words to break the tension during those moments. Even now, I had never seen such an anxious look on his face upon realizing that I had, in fact, convinced him to speak to me about what he knew about these investigations. But I was at a loss, not having the slightest of clus on how to begin the conversation I had been dreading.

“Investigator Reiji,” Karuma says, his tone stern and unnaturally serious. “Do you intend on staying silent the entire time?”

I take a deep breath to gather the strength to respond to him.

“The…”

But words fail to spill from my mouth. I try once more.

“The killings. Do you know something I don’t?”

Karuma jolts, pausing before allowing himself to properly speak.

“... Do you not trust me to be open with you about everything? If there’s something I knew, you’d be the first person I’d tell.”

“Please, Lord Karuma. I need evidence now more than ever.”

“You should know that this investigation means just as much to me as it does to you. I have nothing to hide!”

“If you cared half as much as you claim you do, then you’d realize that you’re ignoring the obvious culprit that all this damned evidence is pointing to!’

“Well then, enlighten me! Who is this mystery man that you dare to prioritize over our own friendship, Genma?”

His name. I’m certain of it. I try to say it but I’m unable to form the words in my mouth, as if I’d been cursed. I simply stare down, guilt striking into my soul as I unwillingly forced myself to repress this secret from him.

“... I’m sorry,” I say, barely managing to croak out these untasteful words. “I don’t know his name.”

I give a swift bow in his direction, excusing myself as I turn to leave his manor. Several pleads for me to stay with him for even a second longer fill my ears, but I simply continue until I've completely exited the building. This would not be the last time I visit him, however. I was prepared for the worst to come, even if it meant turning to a path of darkness to uncover the truth once and for all.