When it All Comes Down | Teen Ink

When it All Comes Down

By hendersm02, Bridgeton, Missouri
hendersm02, Bridgeton, Missouri

I play basketbll and have been in a situation to where i played with a selfish teammate.

He could do it all, some coaches at the school even said he was the best to ever do it. His name was James, a very popular and great basketball player.
            “I’ll always be the best!” James yelled to his teammates
            “Here he goes again with the selfish and cocky stuff” whispered Joe.
It had already been a rough day at school with the three fights that broke out, but to the teammates it got worse when practice time came. The name of the team was Kansas City Bulls, but many joked around by calling them “Team of James”. The word was out. James was by far the best in the city. All the other schools knew about him; however, no coach knew how to shut him down.
Practice was finally about to start. The Bulls won last night, so all the players knew for a fact practice will be light. No punishments.
“Hey, good game James! I know you had 30 points but you could’ve also had ten assists,” Coach Terry said.
James did the awkward smile as if coach sounded dumb. Coach Terry was the assistant who was well respected and helped a lot of students get scholarships. He knew James won’t get far with his attitude and the way he thought so he was always hard on him.
“Yea sure, whatever that means” James mumbled.
James had little to no respect for Coach Terry. He doesn’t understand where he’s coming from when he lectures and tries to guide him. James looks at him as irrelevant because he’s not the head coach. Not only is James cocky, but the kid was good for not caring about anyone else’s feelings.
“Sprinting drill sprinting drill! Coach Mike shouted.
“We have to get down the court and sprint during our games we got lucky last night. We play in the championship tomorrow against the Denver Donkeys. Tough team, we have to be ready mentally. Always remember to give the ball to James,” he said.
Coach Mike loved James like he was his own. He made sure he was always good, opened the gym for him on the weekends, and there’s also been rumors of him buying James clothes and shoes. James thinks Coach Mike really likes him, but the whole time outsiders know what is going on. Mike is doing all this because he doesn’t want James to up and transfer. He feels like James is all they have. “No James No Team” he says in his sleep.
Tired and exhausted from continuous sprinting, the team finally got a water break. The icy cold water tasted like Heaven as it hit their mouths.
“Alright let’s get back to work” Ricky commanded.
“Who do you think you are?” James asked aggressively.
“I’m a real teammate. Something you wouldn’t know about, asshole,” Ricky clapped back.
“Stop talking crazy to me, you know I’m the best of this damn team! Who can dribble better than me? No one! Who can shoot the ball like me? No on- “
“Are you out of your mind?!” Coach Terry asked James as he cut him off. Basketball is a team sport there is no I in team do you understand? I don’t want to hear nothing like that ever again” Coach Terry said while completely pissed off.
“Hey, hey, they are children this is what they do just ignore them they’ll be alright in a few” Coach Mike said.
Practice was over and so was the situation. It might’ve seemed good, but no one noticed what Coach Mike did. Coach Mike knew James was wrong, but he then again didn’t want to lose him. So, instead of telling him his wrongs, he acted as if Coach Terry was tripping so he wouldn’t get involved.

The day had arrived. It was time for the boys to go to war, championship time. They have been studying, watching, and preying on the other team. No one seemed nervous, everyone was in kill mode. James was hype and continuously talked about what he was going to do to the opposing team, Ricky just knew he was going to ball hog the whole game. On the bright side Ricky was really mentally and physically. Everyone from school, family, and scouts were coming out to support the boys on their big day. Everyone was still stuck on the James and Ricky situation so there was no telling how the game was going to go.
The ball had been tipped. It was game time. Right of the top the game was intense! Bucket after bucket with both crowds going crazy. It was a dog fight, you could see the players talking trash to each other, getting physical, and celebrating after every good thing they did. James was already at 20 points at the end of the half. He looked unstoppable out there and of course that’s how he felt. On the other in, Ricky knew there was still a long game ahead of them and that was just the first half of the game. The Denver Donkeys were going to come back harder and their main focus was to stop James. They were only down by five anyways.
The Donkeys came out the locker room playing like a completely different team. Making three after three, steal after steal, they even shut the crowd up! The Donkeys were looking like the monster off of Space Jam while shutting James up, the energy was nowhere to be found. Coach Mike called a timeout.
“Come on guys where is the energy what is going on!” yelled Coach Mike.
“I’m not touching the ball enough! I need it in my hands ASAP coach” explained James.
“This is what I’m talking about. We’ll never win with that kind of thinking! They are shutting you down pass the ball, my guy” cried out Ricky.
“Ricky watch your mouth don’t talk like that, everyone gives the ball to James,” Coach Mike begged.
James started getting more looks and his shots went it. They came after being down by 15 points right in time. It was tied with 2 minutes left into the game. Players on each team were beaten up, sweating hard, and catching cramps, but only the strong survived. The championship was on the line, so no one had plans of giving up losing it all. Ricky is doing an outstanding job and has been on fire all game. He is ready for whatever, getting the job done on offense and defense.
“Let’s go we got to give it our all! Suck it up!” Ricky screamed to his teammates.
“I’m doing so good out here if it comes to it I’m knocking down the game winning shot and going down in history as the best player ever!”
“What the f*ck is wrong with you! We are in the middle of a tight game and that’s what you are thinking about? Really?” Ricky questioned him.
James ignored him. He really wasn’t trying to hear it at all, so he zoned him out.
The game was once again neck to neck, time running lower and lower. The donkeys hit a two pointer and left four seconds on the clock. It was go time for James, time for James to change the world and but his team on his back! James could hit a two pointer and tie it up or he could hit the three and go for the win. No one had any idea on how he was feeling or what he was going to do, so they crossed their fingers.
The ball was inbounded they gave it right to James. He dribbled down the court very fast and created space for a wide-open shot. He released the jumper as he went for the three. Everyone eyes were big and the whole gym was standing up. The Donkeys just knew it was over for them.
“Good game! Great game way to fight!” people in the crowd yelled after the shot.
James had missed and lost his team the championship.
The next morning at school was tragic for James. People were making fun of him, throwing paper at him, and looking at him with disgust. This was very hard for James he was used to love and being the talk of the school…In a positive way. James started to feel like his back was against the wall now. He felt like he was a nobody and wanted to change his ways. James walked with his hood on and head down as he headed to practice.
“I’m sorry team this one is on me. I promise to be a better teammate and person…This will never happen again I love you guys with all my heart. This has made me realize that I have a team and teammates. I shouldn’t have been acting like this towards you guys and now it’s too late for me to change that. I just hope you all forgive me.” James said as tears were dropping down his face.
Never speak too soon Never speak too much.