#your just my type | Teen Ink

#your just my type

September 26, 2020
By totaleclips, Wickliffe, Kentucky
More by this author
totaleclips, Wickliffe, Kentucky
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Author's note:

it's not done yet and im still working on the entire first part


 

  The blood rushes to my head as my hair sways back and forth.

 This is how I spend my Tuesdays and Thursdays, watching my twin sisters Jade and Chrissy. By watching I mean taking them to the Wickliffe City park, the only semi-interesting thing in this back-water town, and swinging from the monkey bars upside down. “Going to the park in town and swinging from the monkey bars upside down.” Ooh, look at that I’m a poet and I didn’t even know it! Just kidding, I knew. Writing poetry is the only thing that keeps me from going insane in this place, well that and ice skating. Well technically I’ve never actually been ice skating. The closest rink is about 3 hours away, but it’s my life long (well 16 yearlong) dream to become a professional skater. Poetry is more of a hobby really.

  I mean have you ever seen someone ice skate? Their just so graceful!!! (sigh) I wish…                                                                                                                        

“CALLIE!” “CALLIE!” I hear Chrissy scream; snapping me out of my ice-skating fantasy/daydream and back to reality as she races towards me. “What?!” I ask feeling the panic rise in my chest “What’s wrong?!” now lowered to the ground and running towards her to meet her half way “It’s jade…” she says. Breathless, hugging her sides and gasping for air “She’s… she’s…” “what… she’s what!” I say now breathless myself from running.  “Her leg…this way!” we run across the playground and make a left towards the train tracks. I stop. Jade is lying, they’re not making a sound, her leg at an impossible angle and her face streaked with tears. “CALLIE!” Chrissy screams, bringing me back to reality. I hadn’t even realized that my legs had turned to steel.

 “CALL 9-1-1!” she screams. I reach for my pocket only to realize that my phone is laying on my bed next to my journal. “Oh no. Oh no, Oh no, Oh no, Oh no, Oh no.” I mumble “I left it at home.” I say suddenly even more panicked. Help me get her to the car.” “Why?” jade asked weakly, her voice dry and raspy from crying. “No.” I tell myself. I will not cry; I have to be strong or they’ll both loose it completely. “I’m taking you myself.”

  The second we walk into the ER; she’s immediately taken from my arms and placed on a stretcher and rolled away for x-rays. “Can I borrow your phone?” I ask the receptionist lady at the front desk. “Sure,” she says with a small, sympathetic smile.

  I take her phone and call my mom. “Hello?” she says “Mom it’s me” I say silently thanking her for answering the phone for an unknown number.  “Hey honey what…” “Mom, Jade tripped over the tracks and broke her leg, I brought her to the ER and she’s in the x-ray room right now” “I’m on my way” is all she said then hung up. Next, I call Jace.

“Hello you’ve reached the amazing…” “Jace, nobody cares” I say “Oh hey Cattie, what’s up?” Cattie, that’s the dumb nickname that he gave me back in kindergarten; he’s called me that ever since. “Oh nothing,” I say “My sister, Jade, just broke her leg, but that’s all.” I couldn’t help it I burst in to tears right then and there over the phone. “OMG, is she okay?” “What hospital are you at?” I hear the concern in his voice.  He’s always thought of Jade and Chrissy as his little sisters. “Baptist Health, and I’m not sure it’s pretty bad.” I say “I’ll be right there, I’m like five minutes away. Do you want me to stay on the phone with you?” he asks “No, it’s ok, I have to give it back to the receptionist.” I say sniffling. “I’ll be there soon okay?” “Ok.” I said

As soon as I hung up, I saw my mom rushing into the ER with my dad (well technically step dad) by her side.

 As soon as I see them my heart breaks. My mother’s tear struck face makes my chest flood with guilt. “I’m so sorry mom,” I tell her, as the warm tears star to flow down my cheeks. “She was playing by the tracks, then her and Chrissy start running over them, and then Jade… she tripped… then…” I choked, “Then I… I heard Chrissy scream,” I can’t help it, I couldn’t hold anything back anymore. “I’m so sorry mom.” I sobbed “Oh, honey,” my mom says, pulling me into her warm embrace. “It wasn’t your fault.” She says, with enough confidence to fill the room. If only she knew. “I should have been watching her!” and as if on cue Jace comes rushing in. “Cattie, oh god, is she ok?” he grabs me and pulls me into one of his famous Jace bear hugs. “Are you ok? How’d this happen?” before I could say a word the doctor comes into the waiting room “The parent or guardian of Jade Mcwirer?” she asked “We’re here.” My mom says “How is she?” Jace asked. “Well her leg was too far gone. It’s extremely rare for this to happen, but she broke it in such a way that her bone actually acted as a knife and cut straight through all the muscles in her leg. I’m sorry to say, but amputation was her only option. I’m sorry.” My mom is sobbing, and Mark (my stepdad) is doing his best to keep her from collapsing. “Can we see her?” I ask “Yes, this way.”

We all sit, gathered, around the hospital bed. My mother clutching her right hand. My father holding her left. As we wait for Jade to wake.

  While I’m waiting for her wake up, I’m writing in my journal that my mother so thoughtfully brought for me. My journal is how I cope with reality. Jace walks in with two Pumpkin Spice lattes, two bottles of water, and a Code Red MTN. Dew from the cafeteria down stairs. He hands the Code Red to Mark, the water to mom and Chrissy, and we each take a latte, as he sits next to me on the cold, hard hospital floor. “Thanks.” I say taking a sip of my (favorite) drink. “No problem.” he says placing his hand in mine. “So how long were your upside down when… it happened?” “How’d you know I was upside down?” I ask even though I already know the answer. “Because I know you better than you know yourself.” he says so matter-of-factly. ”30 minutes.” I say, as I take I shaky breath. Pulling my jacket sleeve down over my hand, and of course, he notices because he leans in and whispers. “Let me see your arm.’’ “Jace…” I plead “When?” is all he has to say. “When you went for drinks.” I look down, I couldn’t look him in the eyes, his beautiful baby blue eyes. He looks up.” Oh, Cattie… you promised.” He says, with so much disappointment in his voice, it hurts. It’s more than I can bare. “I’m sorry but, I just couldn’t take it.” I say, fighting back tears. “(sigh) But we agreed Cattie.” He wined “GGGHHH” we both looked up at the same, only to find both my parents sound asleep, and snoring loud enough to wake the entire hospital. “Come on.” He says. And starts walking towards the bathroom.

  “Take off your jacket.” He orders.   I do as he said, and he takes my arm and examines all 15 cuts on my wrist. “Your 17th birthday is in three days. You couldn’t wait three days?” he asked with tears in his eyes. Neither of us has ever been emotionally strong unless we had to be. So back in 6th grade, we made a pact to never hide anything from each other, not even our emotions. “I’m s…” I start but he cuts me off. “Don’t you dare apologize Cattie, Jade’s accident, wasn’t your fault; what James did to you; wasn’t your fault, but this,” he said making a huge gesture towards my arm. “This, you can control; you don’t have to do this. Please Cattie, let me, your best friend since kindergarten; me whose been there for you no matter what, help you; please.” I finally look up from the floor and see his out reached hand and tears flooded face.” “Ok” I say meekly. “Here” I say as I hand him Sally, the razor from my pocket. He takes it and puts it in his shoe. No doubt to keep me from getting it. “Now,” he says “Let’s go check on Jade.”

   When we walk back into the room my parents are still asleep, but Jade is starting to wake. “Hey Jo Bug, how you feeling?” I ask, sitting on the edge of her bed. I hate that, I hate that this is her bed now. I hate that almost as much as I hate myself for not paying attention to them at the park. “Not that great. Did I break my leg? Cause if so then I want you to be the first one to sign it!” she says excitingly. Jades never seen me cry, but right now I don’t know how to tell her without bursting into tears. Jace sees that and fills in “Umm…yeah sort of…listen JoJo, they said that you bone broke in half and was kind of like, a knife. They said that it cut through all your muscles…” he couldn’t finish; he’s looking at the ground, not able to meet her eyes. Not missing a beat, she says “So wait… does that mean…?” “I’m so sorry Jade, they said amputation was your only option.” I say as the tears spill out of her eyes, like someone just turned on a water faucet in her head. “But how can I play basketball, or run, or skip, or hop? How can I help you become a professional ice skater if I can’t walk?” her sobs wake both mom and Mark up. “Oh honey, it will be ok.” My mom says as gently as she can. I can tell that she’s trying to be strong for us all. That’s one of the many things that I love about her. That she’s so strong; That she’s always trying to be positive/trying to see the bright side of any situation. “They said that they would start therapy as soon as you’re ready.”

   KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK. “Hi Jade, I’m Shelby, and I’ll be your nurse for this, hopefully brief, visit with us.’’ This girl looks like a model; early 20’s; perfect hips; beautiful, luxuriously luscious, thick, shiny, black hair; thick in all the right places; warm Carmel skin; big brown eyes; long lashes; and a tiny waist; plus, a pretty face. I look over at Jace and smack his arm to keep his eyes from bulging out of his head. “OW!”  he says, “What was that for?!” I just glare at him as he looks from me to Shelby and back again. “She’s not even that pretty.” He mumbles “Yeah, right!” I exclaim “There’s enough drool here to water ski home!” “Whatever.” He says; rolling his eyes.

  “Hey,” Chrissy says turning towards Jade.

I completely forgot that she was here. Silence. That’s her super power. See, I believe that everyone has one. Mine is mindreading. 90 percent of the time I can look into someone’s eyes and tell you what their thinking. Moms are healing. She the healer in the family, mentally and physically. Marks is force field. He’s does a great job at protecting our mom. Jace’s is speed. He can be anywhere in five minutes no matter how far away he is, especially, if we really need him.

 I offer her a sip of my latte, but she turns it down.

“It will be okay.” She says “But how can we be twins if I only have one leg?!” cries Jade “We could always win a three-legged race.” Chrissy joked half-heartedly. “Do you remember the movie “Where the Red Fern Grows”?” she waits for her to nod before continuing “Well instead of you dying and me starving myself to death, I’ll just cut off my leg! How does that sound? Just think of it as an early 10th birthday present!” It lit up the entire room when Jade laughed. “No, don’t be silly, you don’t have to cut off your whole leg; just half.” Now were all laughing and, to my preference, ignoring Shelby. “Umm…I’m sorry to interrupt, but I was checking her vital, running test, you know, the usual and I thought you’d like to know that she’s recovering extremely quickly. We should be able to discharge her as soon as her therapist starts to see confidence and independence with her new prosthetic leg.” Her words hung in the air like dull knives. She must have noticed the tension because she added, “Oh, but don’t worry it’ll be just like the old one, maybe even better! You won’t even miss your old leg!” she says entirely too cheerful. “Still think she’s hot?’’ I whisper-ask Jace. “Less so by the minute.” Oh! One small detail that I forgot to mention: Jade has an irrational fear of robots. So, when she heard that, I could tell that she was really trying to control her nerves, but I could see the fear in her eyes when she said “I’m going to be a robot?” “Yes! Just like a robot! Isn’t that exciting?” Shelby said. She looked like she was trying to keep herself from jumping up and down.

  “Wow, just wow.” Jace says, under his breath. I’m not sure if he meant for me to hear him or not but I decide that I can’t let him off the hook for liking…that, oops! I mean her. “I can’t believe you use to be into that.” I tease “Hey use to, past tense.” He playfully adds back. Chrissy raises her hand. “Yes?” Shelby asks, looking slightly annoyed.  “But when?” asked Chrissy “What?” she asked looking very confused, which I’m sure happens to her a lot. “But when did we ask?” we all say together; falling to the floor laughing. I look up at Shelby who looks so pissed off, that I just laugh harder.  

  I’m sitting in my room/ basement on this beautiful Thursday afternoon, playing “Call of Duty Modern Warfare” on my X-Box when I get a call from an unknown number. I decide to have some fun with whoever this is by saying “hello you’ve reached the amazing Jace,’’ but when I answer the phone all I get to say is “Hello, you’ve reached the amazing…” when I hear Cattie’s voice say “Jace nobody cares.” Cattie. My best friend and lover since kindergarten. Well, ok maybe lover isn’t the right word. Maybe soulmates? I’ve had a huge crush on her since kindergarten, and would hurt anyone who touches a hair on her head without her permission. Yeah that sounds about right.

 “Oh, hey Cattie, what’s up?” I say totally playing it cool.

“Oh nothing, my sister Jade just broke her leg but that’s all.” Then she burst into tears. I ask her if Jade is ok and what hospital they’re at.  She says that they’re at Baptist. I live fifteen minutes from the hospital, but I tell her that I’ll be there in five because I know what Cattie’s capable of when she’s upset. But she promised. I just hope she’ll keep her word.

  I get to the ER and immediately see Jenny, Mark, Cattie, and Chrissy huddled around the door waiting for the doctor. I run in and throw Cattie into a hug and start asking her a bunch of questions, but before she can answer, the doctor comes in and ask for Jades parents. Cattie asked how she was and the doctor explained that her leg was too far gone, and amputation was her only option. Mark’s doing his best to keep Jenny from collapsing. “Can we see her?” Jade asks, still in my arms. God, I love the way she smells. It’s that vanilla perfume that she loves so much. I’m such a terrible friend for thinking this while her sister just had her leg cut off.

  We’re led to the room and I offer to get drinks. Everyone gives me their order except for Cattie. Because she knows that I already know what she wants. One medium Pumpkin Spice latte, our favorite. I’m halfway to the cafeteria when I realize my mistake. I left Cattie alone. I sprint to the cafeteria, get the drinks, and get back to the room in record time. I hand out the drinks and take a seat on the floor next to Cattie. I take a sip of my latte and slip my hand into hers. “I know it’s not star bucks but… it’s the best that ten bucks can buy. I joke, but I can see the look in her eyes, the way she’s questioning every move she’s made today. “How long were your upside down when…it happened?” she tells me 30 minutes. Hanging upside down is her way to relax; when she’s upside down she blocks the rest of the world out. I glance down and see her pull her sleeve down over her hand and I know that I came back to late.

 Were in the hospital bathroom and I order her to take her jacket off, and I get the confirmation that I didn’t want. I won’t let her apologize again. I try to tell her that the accident wasn’t her fault, that what James did to her wasn’t her fault, but this she can control. I make her give me her blade and I put it in my shoe. James, that sick jerk, if I ever see him again, I’ll kill him. He was my best friend (next to Cattie of course). I still don’t know how he could do that to her. The worst thing is, that she’s still so paranoid that he’ll be back. His last words to her were, “I’m still not through with you yet.”  Exactly one year ago in three days.

The author's comments:

this is all i have of this story so far and im thinking of changing like the entire first part up to the car ride

   Callie

 


   Jace drives me home so we can get some clean clothes, and stuff to make our visit a little more…umm…welcoming, I guess. When we pull up to my house, I lock the door. “Question mark Question mark?” he asked “So, on a scale from one to ten what do you rate that nurse?” I ask trying to hide my smile “Ugg” he sighs “She’s not even my type.”

“BS!” I yell “She’s not, I swear it.” He says, putting one hand in the air and the other over his heart. “Ok, well what is your type then.” I ask “Pale skin, green eyes, light brown hair, full lips, kind of short, not going to lie.” He playfully adds. “ha, ha” I say totally shocked that he just described me. But then he looks me dead in the eyes and says “I’m serious, you’re my type.’’

 

 

                           Jace

 

   She looks so stunned. Before I know what, I’m doing, I lean in and kiss her. It lasts a whole second before she pulls away. “We should uhm…g goes in.” she stammers. She unlocks the door and almost runs into the house leaving me sitting in the car. Alone. This is my worst nightmare coming true. I told Cattie how I felt and she doesn’t feel the same way. Things are never going to be the same.

 

 

                       Callie

 

   As soon as I get in the house, I sprint towards the bathroom and lock the door. The second that my hand leaves the lock I hear the front door open and I know that Jace has just walked in. I don’t know why that surprises since we came here together. I put the lid down and sit on the toilet, and replay that moment in my mind. I have to take some deep breaths, because I’m still kind of freaking out about the kiss. I mean it’s not that I don’t like him because I do. I guess I always have. But I’ve always just pushed those feelings somewhere deep down inside me, because I was scared that they would ruin our friendship. But now that I know he feels the same way… I was surprised at how soft his lips were. And how natural it felt when he kissed me, like he’d done it a thousand times before, even though I know good and well that I was his first. (groan) I hate how quickly I pulled away from his embrace. Like he was poisonous. And it was just the opposite.

I pulled my journal out of my back pocket and start to write some of the words floating around in my head so I can turn them into poetry later.

Love

Kiss

Soft

Lips

Fear

Safety

Trust

I’ll figure the rest out later, but for now I have to get clothes for everyone, and face the amazing Jace. I wipe my sweaty hands on my jeans, open the door, and walk out of the bathroom like a boss.

 

 

                                                    Jace

 

  

  I’m in Jade and Chrissy’s room, stuffing their backpacks full of their favorite clothes and other stuff. I got Jades 3-DS and Chrissy’s Nintendo Switch, I also grab both of their iPad and earbuds, plus the two identical stuffed bears that their dad gave them the day before he died. I’m trying to deciding between two different colored batman t’s, when Cattie walks in and squats down beside me. “Purple or pink?” I ask her, holding up the two t-shirts. “Both.” She says, smiling that shy kind of smile that I love so much; the one-of-a-kind smile that only Cattie has. She blushes when she catches me looking at her, but I just can’t look away. I can’t stop my mind from wondering back to the kiss, and how soft her lips were. How quickly she pulled away from me, like I was a disease or something.

 

                                     Callie

 

   I see the way Jace is looking at me, with such admiration, that I feel the heat rise in my cheeks. I wanted to say something, but my tongue had turned to lead. I’ve never been good with words anyway. That was always Jace’s department. I stand up and walk towards my mom and stepdads’ room and close the door a little too quickly and it slams shut. I cringe.  “SORRY!” I yell, so he doesn’t think that I’m mad at him. “IT” S COOL!” he shouts back. I smile. I sit on their bed and stare at my journal trying to think of a poem I could make using the words that I wrote down earlier.  After what seems like forever when I hear a knock at the door. “You ready?” he asks through the door. “Yeah, almost done.” I grab a few things from their drawers, throw them into the bag, and open the door totally ready for what I’m about to do.

 

                                               

                            Jace

“Ready?” I ask as she opens the door. “I think so.” She says but before I can say anything, she grabs my faces with her feathery soft hands and kisses me. I kiss her back, wrapping my arms around her waist, while she slides her hands around my neck. All I can think about is how soft her lips are, and how I wish this moment would never end, and how long I’ve dreamed about this moment, how much I’ve always wanted this. When she finally pulls apart, she says “I like you too. Let’s go.” And walks away.

 

                                        Callie

 

  As soon as were in the car, I pull out my journal and star writing a poem, thankful for an excuse to not talk.

I loved to kiss

your so soft lips

I feel so safe

you’re my whole abyss

the fear of trust

is all but lust

the lie of love

leaves me so torn

I’ve had enough

and yet I want more

we’re far from done

there’s still so much to explore

I’ve got your back

from this day forward

I always have

no need for reward

 This is the type of poetry that I love. The kind that doesn’t have a particular rhythm scheme. The kind that doesn’t have to rhythm. I look out the window and see that were on I-24. My thoughts are interrupted by Jace, who decided to obnoxiously clear his throat. I glance at the time. 11:30. We’ve drove 20 minutes in silence. That’s a new record for Jace, whose current time for being silent is 2 and a half minutes. “So,” he says real casual like nothing happened at all. “We got everything right?” he asks “Yeah, I’m pretty sure.” I say. Playing along to his “Nothing happened 20 minutes ago” game.

 

                                        Jace

 

   I refuse to talk about the weather. Weather talk is for old, divorced people, with nothing in common and are pretending to like each other for the kid’s sake. At least that’s what my parents do. We are nothing like my parents; and we never will be. I won’t let us come to that. “FRICK!” she screams. I have to swerve to avoid hitting another car. “What’s wrong?!” I ask. My mind going a million miles an hour trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong. “I can’t believe I left my phone! Again!” she says as she angerly slams her fist into my dashboard. I smile. “You are literally the only person that I know who doesn’t have their phone glued to their hand.” I say with a laugh. I turn, and look at her and she’s glaring at me which only makes me laugh harder. “It’s not funny!” she says trying to hide a smile of her own. “Ok, ok.” I say trying to calm down “(sigh) I was going to call mom, and tell her that were almost there” “Here,” I say handing her my phone “Use mine.” She smiles and dials her mom.

 

 

                                                      Callie

 

   I’m in the middle of telling my mom that were about five minutes from the hospital when the car jerks forward. “What the hell?” I ask turning towards Jace. “What was that young lady?” my mom asks me. I check my rear-view mirror and see a red truck following us. “Some truck just rear-ended us mom, I think I get a free pass this one time.” “F***!” I yell “Callie Marie!” my mother exclaims “Mom call the police! Tell them that a red, 2004, Dodge RAM keeps hitting Jace’s car! Tell the police that were on highway I-57!”  He hits us again, but this time Jace has to swerve to keep from going off road. We see the red truck drive up beside us, and we get a clear view of the driver. It’s James. He slams into the side and our car with such force that it flips of the road and starts rolling. Faster and faster. I hit my head on the dash-board. The last thing I remember before blacking out, was Jace screaming my name.

 

                                                 Jace

 

   When the car’s finally still, I throw off my seat belt and place my hand on Cattie’s neck. BADOOM, BADOOM. I sigh with relief. I found her pulse. I’m about to start tending to the gash on her forehead, when I hear footsteps. I throw myself in front of Cattie, to unsuccessfully hide her with my body. No one’s getting her, without getting through me first. Silence. It must have just been an animal, but when I turn around, I see James staring through her window and right at me.

  “Why hello, old friend. Long time no see.” He says with a laugh. I can feel my blood start to boil. “What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?”  he says, laughing like he just said something funny. When he finally stops laughing his gaze drops down to Cattie. “Oh, my sweet flower. It’s been too long.” He says stroking her face. “DON’T TOUCH HER!” I scream, and right as I’m about to lunge at him he pulls out a gun and I feel the color leave my face.

  “Tsk, tsk, tsk. Now don’t go and do something stupid. I really don’t want a murder on my conscience, but I’ll do what I have to do.’’ He says waving the gun around. “You don’t have a conscience.” I say “Maybe your right, but does a person really need one? That’s the real question. Oh, that was rhetorical by the way. That means I don’t want an answer.” “I know what rhetorical means. Very surprised that you do though.” I say “ooh, feisty, are we? Well feisty might just get my precious little flower hurt.” He says while stroking her face with the gun. “While were catching up, did you ever tell her how you feel?” he asks “That’s none of your…’’ I stopped short when I see him hold the gun up to her temple. “Yes.” I say meekly. He just smiles. “Well this has been fun but I think it’s time to go.” He keeps the gun on Cattie’s temple and binds her hands together with duct tape. “You’re up Romeo.” He gestures to Cattie as a warning. And walks around the car to do the same to me. When he’s finally done, he says “Normally I would do your mouths too, but I know that you’ll be a good boy and keep your trap shut. Right?” “Right.” I say “Great!” he says as he walks back around to Cattie’s side and pulls her out through the window as gently as he can. He points the gun at me. “Get out.” He orders. I do as I’m told. He starts walking towards his truck and I follow him like a lost sheep.

 

                            Jace

 

   When we finally get back to his truck, he opens the back door and throws Cattie onto the floor and tells me to get in. As soon as he closes the door, I lay Cattie on her back, and lay beside her.

 

 

                                     Callie

 

 

   My head feels like it’s filled with cement, my eyes are like lead, and my throat is a desert. I feel someone’s arms around me. When I’m finally able to open my eyes, I see that its Jace. He strokes my face and tells me that everything will be alright. I fall asleep knowing that, at least for right now, I’m safe.

 

 

                            Jace

 

We’ve been driving for at least an hour, and sadly I know exactly where were going. When we use to be friends, we would drive up to our “Beach house” as we like to call it, down in the woods close to Kentucky lake. This was the one place sacred to both of us, the one place that we kept for ourselves. The first day that we found it, we swore on our lives never to tell another living soul about our new “home away from home”. And now were heading to the one place nobody would ever think to look for us.

   The only good thing about us being in this car for so long is, that I was able to tear my shirt and some of her duct tape and make a small bandage for her head. With my arms securely around her, I feel my eyes start to close, and I fall asleep. I wake up to the sound of a door closing. I sit up and see that were at some truck stop. I’m about to try to get us out of this car and realize that Cattie’s not beside me. My chest fills with panic and rage, but then leaves as fast as it came when I see her sitting up front. I sigh with relief. “Cattie?” I ask “Are you awake?” I can’t keep my voice steady. “Not for long.” She says. And I actually laugh. I’m so happy that she’s ok. “Were doing this again? Seriously?” she asked slightly annoyed, but I don’t care. “What’s so funny now? That your girlfriend is injured? Or the kidnapping?” my laughter dies when she says girlfriend. We hadn’t had a chance to talk about it. I’ve never dated anyone before, and the only person that Catties dated was James; but he doesn’t count for anything.

She must have noticed, because she adds, “Well I mean… if you want me to be, but if you don’t then I understand.’’ “No no!” I say as quickly as I can “I do. I want you. I Jace Allen Cooper, want you, Cattie I mean Callie Marie McWire, to be my, first official girlfriend.” She’s laughing. Her laugh makes me feel warm all over. “What’s so funny?” I ask with a smile. She laughs even harder. We didn’t even notice that James was walking back towards the truck until his hand was on the door. “What’s so funny?” he asks with a cruel smile. Our laughter dies as he opens the door. “Could it possibly be this?” he asked as he takes Catties bound hands, puts them around his neck, pushes her against the window, and kisses her long and hard.

 

                             Callie

 

 

I can’t breathe. He has me pushed against the window and his mouth on mine. I’m helpless. He’s twice my size and three times my weight. I silently pray for Jace to do nothing, because I see the gun in his waist band. My mind wonders back to when we were together. The most horrific day of them all. It was my sixteenth birthday party and we had been friends since he moved here in third grade. He had asked me out two weeks before my party. I had a couple of drinks and was talking to Jace when he came up and pulled me into the bedroom. He started kissing me real slow and I kept think about how he was smothering me. I tried to pull away but his grip became steel on my arms. “You’re not going anywhere.” He whispered to me. I remember trying and trying to get away, but it was useless. Now it’s like I’m back in that moment all over again.

When he finally pulls away, he lifts me up and throws me into the back seat next to Jace. “Ok,” he says, putting his sunglasses on his hat. “We’re almost there.’’

 About an hour later we pull up to the cabin.

 

 

                                        

 

                                          Jace

 

  When we pull up to the cabin, I lean in and whisper “When we get out, I’ll hold him off and you run.” I tell her “Oh yeah? How you going to do that?” she asks. “Trust me, keep running straight until you reach the lake. Go to the “Trent’s  Pizzeria” and ask for the manager. When he gets there, tell him I sent you.” “Jace, what are you talking about? You aren’t making any sense.” She says. “Just trust me. I’ll meet you there.” I say

 James opens the door and grabs my arm. Just like I knew he would. “NOW!” I scream and Cattie bolts from the truck. “NO!” yells James, he tries to run for her but I’m holding him back. Fighting him the best I can with both hands tied behind my back. When she’s finally out of sight he turns to me and says, “You will be very, very sorry for this.” I had no doubt in my mind that he was telling the truth.

 

 

                                         Callie

 

   I run and run and run until I can no longer feel my legs. I turn back to make sure that he didn’t follow me, then I sit against a tree and try to catch my breath. I decide that I will continue on in the morning. I close my eyes, and drift asleep.

 

 

                                                      Jace

 

 

   He dragged me into the cabin, and ties me to a chair. “Where is she?” he asked angrily. “I don’t know, I just told her to run.” I lied. “I don’t believe you.” It’s as if a light bulb went off inside his head because he says, “She went to Trent’s Pizzeria. Didn’t she?”  “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” I say innocently. “BS Jace. I know you. You wouldn’t send her out there if you didn’t have a plan.” Damn, this guy can really be smart if he wanted to. He starts walking towards the phone on the wall when I scream “WAIT! What are you doing?” “What do you think? I’m calling the boys and telling them to search Trent’s” he says, like I should know this. “I already told you that she isn’t there.” I say, panicking. “But there’s no harm in making sure now is there?” Diversion. That’s what I need, a diversion. Think, think. What’s the farthest place away from James’s as possible? That old abandoned building on 8th street. What’s it called? Froyo! “She’s at Froyos.” I say before he can dial. “oh?” he says, slowly putting the phone back on the receiver. “What happened to your loyalty?” he says laughing. I have to make this seem believable, so I just glare at him. But the he stops abruptly. “How do I know you’re telling the truth? Why would you give your girlfriends location away?” he asks suspiciously. I feel the sweat start to bead on my forehead, and I pray he doesn’t see it. “Because I don’t want you hurting anymore innocent people. And” I add “I know that she’s incredibly smart, and could out smart you any day.” That was the first true thing I’ve said to him since I’ve been in here. “If you’re lying, I will personally end you but not before making you watch me and Callie have a little fun.” He says with a wink. My blood is boiling as he walks out of the door with a smile.

 

 

                                                  Jace

 

 

   The moment that that door was closed, I went to work on these ropes.

When we were 12, we were in boy scouts together. James had every badge. Every badge except knot tying. That was the only thing that I was better at. So, getting out of his binds, wasn’t hard. It only took maybe five minutes. As soon as I was free, I bolted from the chair and ran towards the door. I don’t know what I was expecting. But when I reached the door, it was locked. Of course, it’s locked. He couldn’t be that stupid. That’s like the number one rule in kidnaping. But… I bet he wasn’t smart enough to lock the windows. I ran towards the window and lifted it with ease. I actually laughed out loud when it was fully opened. I slipped out and sprinted towards the woods to find Cattie.”

 

 

                                                             Callie

 

 

   I wake up to the sound of footsteps. I quickly sit up and crawl behind the tree. “CALLIE!” I hear Jace whisper scream my name. “Jace?” I ask, cautiously crawling out of my hiding spot. “Cattie, oh god, are you ok?” he asks pulling me into the tightest hug he’s ever given me. “I was so worried.” He said pulling away “How did you get away?” I ask. “I sent he towards Froyos.” He says “But we defiantly can’t go to James.” Before I could ask why he says, “Come on, I’ll explain on the way.” “On the way, to where?” I ask “I know a place. Come on.” He grabs my hand and leads the way.

 

 

                                                         Jace

 

   I tell her everything that was said in the cabin. Everything except what he said about having fun with her. When I’m done explain she looks at me and says, ‘’What else?” “That’s all” I say “Your lying. Come on whatever it is, I can handle it.” She says. I take a shaky breath and tell her. I watch the color drain from her face. “Don’t worry.” I tell her. “As long as I’m here it won’t happen.” She nods and stares forward. “Ok,” she says with a shaky breath. “I trust you.” And with that we walk in silence for the rest of the night. Not bothering to make camp because we both know that neither of us will be sleeping tonight.

 

 

                                                    Callie

 

 

   We sat and watched the sunset dip below the horizon, then continued on walking into the night.

 

 

                                         Jace

 

 

   When morning comes, we finally take a break from walking and I start looking for berries that won’t kill us for breakfast. I actually believe that God was smiling down on us. I found a cherry tree! Like seriously what luck. I come back carrying a shirt full of cherries, when I see that Cattie’s has her own shirt full of berries. “Look!” she says nodding her head towards her shirt. “I don’t actually know if they’re edible or not but I didn’t want to just sit here while you did all the work.” I smile. I put my jacket on the ground and dump the cherries on it. “Bring me your berries.” I say “Why doesn’t the girl scouts learn anything useful like this.” she says as I examine the berries. “Maybe you should have joined the boy scouts instead.” I say “These are Hollys. Very poisonous. One bite and in about thirty minutes you will be paralyzed” she dumps the berries onto the ground and grabs a cherry. “So,” she says, popping it into her mouth. “How long until we get to this mystery place? Or better yet where is this mystery place?” “Well…” I say putting a few cherries into my mouth. “We’re about maybe 3 hours away. And as for where it is, well that’s classified.” I say with a sly grin. “Oh?” she says with curiosity oozing out of her eyes. “Why is it classified?” “Well, two reasons: one, the less you know the better; two, it was where I was going to take you on our first date. And I already know your next question “How long have you had our first date planned?” well the answer to that question was fourth grade. And no. that’s not weird.” I look at her and she just laughs, which makes me laugh. “God it feels so good to laugh.” She says. Her smile radiating in the sun. “Wait why were we laughing? You know for us small people over here.” I say gesturing to both my right and my left. “Because you know me so well. Why were you laughing?” she asks “Because your laugh is contagious.” I say scooting closer to her. “Oh, ok. If you say so. But I don’t think that it’s just my laugh. I think it’s just contagious in general. It has nothing to do with me.” She says. “Your wrong.” I say. She raises her eyebrow. “Oh? How so?” “Well,” I say “you have the most beautiful laugh that I’ve ever heard. When I hear it, my insides melt and I feel myself start to smile. The sun itself shines a little brighter whenever you smile.” I say looking her in her eyes the whole time. I scoot closer, and so does she. We’re so close, that I can feel her breath. I lean in. and she close’s the gap between us by placing her lips on mine. Her lips feel like flowers. Her lips taste like cherries. This moment is perfect. When she finally pulls away, I see her smile. Even though the sun was shining in my eyes, I see her smile. Her radiant, white smile. “Hi” she whispers leaning in kisses me again. Long, magical kisses. When she pulls away, I whisper back, “Hi”

 

 

 

                        Callie

 

 

   we’ve been walking about an hour when I hear footsteps. I stop. I look at Jace, he’s heard them too. He grabs my hand a motion for me to follow him quietly. We’re crouching behind a bush, and we see James and three other guys, all holding guns. “They can’t be far.”  Says the shorter one on the left. “Are you sure they went this way?” ask the fat one on his left. “Yes, I’m sure.” Snapped James. “why are you even going through all this trouble for a girl? I mean couldn’t you just pick one up off the street or something? I’m sure she’ll be just as good.” Says the taller from behind “Oh, you think so?” growled James “I tell you what, you don’t want to be here? Fine, then leave.” The three men looked at each other with questioning looks. “Are you sure?” asked the fat one. “Yep.” Answered James, but as soon as the fat one turned to walk away James shot him in the back. “Anyone else?” he asked. The shook their heads vigorously. “Good, now let’s move.”

   They waited a good thirty minutes till they moved from their spot. “They’re heading towards Trent’s.” he says “I guess they already checked Froyos. We’re heading towards the fairgrounds, so we should be able to avoid them.” “We’ll have to be more careful from here on out.” I say.

   We walk for about another thirty minutes when we hear a branch break. We dive down to hide. We stay down for what feels like forever when we finally see what made the sound. A deer. We laugh. Jace stands up and puts his hand out to help me up. I take it. I take two steps and fall down and screech in pain. “My leg, I think I broke it.” I say seeing dots dance in front of my eyes. “What?! How?!” “I tripped, there’s a hole.” I say as he starts examining my leg. “AHHHHH!” I scream. “DO. NOT. TOUCH. IT.” I screech. He puts his hands up in surrender. “I’m sorry!” he says “But I have to stabilize it.” He says, looking around for a stick. “You and your dumb boy scouts” I mumble. “What was that?” he asks, lifting his eyebrows. “Nothing, dear.” I joke trying to manage a smile, but it comes out as a wince. Either he doesn’t notice or doesn’t care because he just smiles and keeps looking for a stick.

                            Jace

 

 

   After I found the perfect stick, it took me half an hour to convince her to let me stabilize it. It was a very difficult argument. “It has to be stabilized.” “Nope. Not going to happen.” She said. “If I don’t stabilize it now, then it’ll have to be amputated.” A look of horror shot across her face; it was then that I remembered about Jade. “Well,” I thought “At least her leg is stable.”

   We spent the next hour limping through the woods.  It was Cattie who finally broke the silence by saying, “I need to rest.”  So, I looked around for a place to sit, but she just plopped down right there on the ground. “You know…” she says, looking down towards the ground. “Maybe I should get my leg amputated.” I just stare at her in total shock. “What?! Why?! Why would you say that?” “Because” she says “Maybe if my leg gets amputated then Jade might maybe… I don’t know.” I can’t believe this. “Callie,” she looks at me, with that wounded animal look in her eyes. “Jade wouldn’t want that, and you know it.”  “I know, but (sigh) I guess I just thought that maybe it would make her feel a little bit better.” She said, and I jump up more quickly than intended. “No, you think that this is because of Jade not for her. This isn’t a punishment Cattie. I mean, what about being a professional skater? Hmm? that can’t happen with only one leg.” I spat, feeling the heat in my cheeks. She looks taken back, like she was slapped, and I feel a twinge of guilt. She stands up, and starts to wobble. I rush over to help her but she shoots me a look that makes me take three steps back. “Where are you going?” I ask. Praying to God that she isn’t giving me the silent treatment. “I’m going to find water.”

 

 

                                                Callie

 

 

   “I can’t believe him. What a jerk, I mean who is he to tell me about what I’m going through. He has no Idea what it’s like to go through something like this.” (Sigh) even as I was thinking these thoughts, I knew it was a lie. He’s had to go through so much more than I ever have. When he was younger and his dad was still alive, him and his mom endured so much abuse. His mom got the verbal and Jace got the physical. That’s how him and James became friends. They both knew what it felt like. Only thing different is it was just James and his dad. Well that and how they both turned out in the end. I turn around and see James and his groupies sitting around a fire about a hundred feet ahead. I drop to the ground as fast as I could without hurting my leg. “J-Dog? I have a question?” the tall one said. “You want to find this girl, but what do we get for helping you? What’s is payment?” he asked “Do we get a round with her?” his eyes full of a hunger for lust. James growled. “Imma tell you one time and one-time only Tom. If you so much as lay a finger on her, I will personally cut you up and sell you as ground pork.” He whispered, dangerously low. James turned back around and stared at the fire, while Tom sat there, his whole body shaking. I have to tell Jace. I started to crawl away when a heard the snap of a branch. I looked down. It was under my knee.

 

 

                                         Jace

 

 

   I knew she was mad at me but what was taking so long? Did she get lost? I’m about to go look for her when I hear leaves rustling. “Cattie, I’m sorry. I was being a d*ck. I just don’t think that anyone would want you to cut your leg off, but to be honest it’s not my decision to make. I’ll support you in whatever you decide. Anyway, did you find the water?’’ I asked now watching her emerge from the bushes, being held in muscular arms with a hand over her mouth. Sh*t. “Why yes, she did, didn’t she?” James says moving his hand to gesture to his body. “And we except your apology.” Said the short guy. “He is quite the drink of water, isn’t he Tom?” “Sure, is Mike.” Said the tall guy. The tall one’s name is Tom and the short ones is Mike. I think to myself, making a mental note. “Let her go James.” I say, trying to keep my voice steady. “Now why on earth would I want to do that? I just found her.” He says, his voice full of innocents. oooh, I want to smack that smug *ss grin right off his face, but I knew that wouldn’t do anyone any good. I’m out numbered.

   “Now Jace, I really only want Callie, so I’m willing to make a deal. I’ll take Callie, take what’s mine ectara, ectara. But I really don’t need you, so instead of killing you I’m going to let you go and when I’m done with Callie she can go to, and you two can go to the cops, even though I’ll be out of the country before they find me, then you two can live happily ever after. What do you say?” “I say you better just kill me because I’m coming with you end of argument.” I see Callie’s eyes widen I horror. “I will never leave her.” James groans. Then lifts his gun. “You know I really wanted to avoid this so I’m going to give you one more chance.” “The answer’s still no.” Then quicker than I could blink he pulled the trigger and I fell backwards landing on my back. I cried out in pain. And put my hand over the wound. The bullet lodged in my chest. “You missed his heart.” Said Tom “So what, he’ll just bleed to death then.” James said, “You and Mike help carry him to the truck.” And without another word James was off, carrying Callie with him. “I just hope my plan works.” I thought, as the darkness swallowed me, leaving me in the hands of Tom and Mike.

 

 

                                                           Callie

 

 

   I can’t believe it. My best friend, my boyfriend, was shot. I didn’t even bother to try to hold back my waterfall of tears. James must have noticed because he said, “Oh baby, don’t worry about him. It’ll be alright. I’m here now. Hurry up with that body boys!” he called over his shoulder. I'm sobbing harder than I ever have before. And james says, ¨Now Callie, are you gonna shut up or am i going to have to gagg you? It’s up to you.¨ i continued to sob ¨Alright boys! Hand me the rag!¨ i heard a sigh then saw the bright red rag flying through the air. ¨Last chance hon.¨ 

When he realized that i wasn’t done he shoved the red clothes so far down my throat, that i thought i was going to choke. 

   When we get to his truck he throws me over his lap. ¨You two get in!¨ What about the boy?¨ asked Tom, ¨Just throw him in the back and get in.¨ ¨You got it boss."



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.