It's Not Me | Teen Ink

It's Not Me

By thediane15 BRONZE, Lees Summit, Missouri
thediane15 BRONZE, Lees Summit, Missouri

“I didn’t kill her. No seriously... I didn’t.” Said a girl that sounded to be in her teens.  
A bright light turns on reviling the girl cuffed to a chair, with an older man in a police uniform sitting in front of her, the only thing separating the two is an empty table and a camera. “Willow-” Started the man. 
“I understand why you may think it would've been me. But I was just as scared and confused as you were, I was just out taking a walk and I just saw the knife and was horrified. I didn’t know what to do and I was too scared to act upon it, so I ran. And that’s when I you showed up but since I was running and the only one around, you thought it was me.” Said Willow interrupting trying to prove what she believes is her innocent. 
“At two in the morning Willow? Why would you be out that late.” 
“Sometimes my family fights and when they fight it leads my brain to wander, and when it wanders bad things happen. I needed fresh air and to clear my mind.” 
“Okay, at least until we get more proof gathered about this you are innocent and can return home. Have a safe night Willow and be careful when you wander the streets especially at night.” 
“Will do thank you officer.” 
Willow returns home escorted by another cop to keep her from getting into any more trouble. She goes to bed tired because she still hasn’t slept because it's been a long night now being 5:00 AM. But when she tries to get to sleep, another person stands at the end of the bed, talking to her. 
“Why didn’t you tell the truth Willow YOU killed that body.” 
“I didn’t... SHUT UP! It was you I saw you!” shouted back Willow. 
“think what you want Willow. They will catch you...” 
“GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!” 
“I can't do that... you want me here I KNOW you do.” 
Willow's bedroom door flung open with her mom standing scared out of her mind after hearing her daughter scream so early in the morning. “Willow, are you okay why are you screaming? What happened?” 
“Theres this person mom she's right over there... by my closet.” 
“Theres no one their honey.” Said her mom while yawning. 
“Yes, there is! She's over there don’t you see her, she has long black hair, a pale face and piercing blue eyes! Her names Marley mom, she told me, I don’t want her here take her away!” Cried Willow. 
“Honey I think you were just having a nightmare. Just go back to sleep I will see you in the morning. I love you Willow.” 
“I love you too mommy... heheheh” 
Her mom turned around realizing that it didn’t really sound like her sweet daughter Willow and that maybe Marley is more real than she thought. 
‘’STOP!" Wisper shouted Willow. 
“Fine but I won't be gone very long. You will need me again.” 
Willow had to wake up for school the next morning. Even though she didn’t get a lot of sleep she can't afford to miss anymore of her senior year.  
“Hey Willow!” Said a very effervescent teen. 
“Hey Stacey.” Willow said yawning. 
“How was your weekend? Sleep well?” 
“I don’t wanna get into it.” Said Willow still yawning. 
The minute bell rang so Willow and Stacy went their separate ways to go to their first hours.  
“Skip class I KNOW you want to.” 
“Shut up I'm in class. Just leave me alone for once in your life.” Willow mumbled under her breath. 
“Fine but I will be back...” 
A few more hours of the day went by and it was lunch time, so Stacy and Willow went to their usual table outside in the courtyard. 
“Oh, the food today was actually good for once.” Said Stacey wide awake enjoying her chicken sandwich. 
“Eh it's okay. For school lunch at least”  
“Do it Willow. She's right there... OUR next victim.” 
“Sorry can you give me a moment Stacy.” 
“Yep!” She said taking another bite. 
“What are you talking about OUR next victim? it's all YOU there is no US.” 
“Look in your bag Willow.” 
She opened her bag and saw a surprisingly sharp knife laying with her jacket.  
“I didn’t put that in there.” 
“You did... Don’t you remember last night... It doesn’t matter it's there now. Do what needs to be done!” 
“Hey Stacy... Can you come here for a moment?” 
“Good Willow... Now keep going” 
“Yeah sure! Just a sec!” Stacey runs over to the bathroom while shoving the last few bites of sandwich in her mouth. “Yeah, Wills what's up?” 
“Do it! NOW!” 
Something then takes over Willow that no one, not even herself could explain. She pulls out the knife and stabs it into Stacey’s back as she walks into the bathroom.  
“AHHH Stacey!? Stacy wake up! Stacey...” Willow pulls the knife out bawling as she cries out her name one last time. “Stacy.... Oh no... What have I done?!” Willow pauses and takes a deep breath as her face of fear suddenly turns into anger. “What did you do?! What did you do?! WHAT DID YOU DO!?” she cried out beating at the wall. 
“I didn’t do anything Willow... YOU are the one with the knife and YOU are the one with the blood drying up against your skin and clothes. If I were you, I would rush home and change. You wouldn’t want anyone to see you like that.” 
For once something that Marley said made since to Willow, and she knew that she had to get home. Because no one not her teachers, not her mom, not the kids, could see her like that next to Stacy’s body. 
A few moments later another student soon approached the restroom, “Holy crap!!! Is that Stacy?” Said the other student confused on why anyone would murder the head cheerleader.  
“Jackie, you have to see this!” 
“Yea, Aubrey what could be so interesting-” Jackie stands there frozen by her best friend Aubrey, looking down at Stacey. “What are we going to do?!” She yelled freaking out. 
“Shhh!” Aubrey covered Jackie’s mouth quickly. “Just um... Stay calm and don’t touch her, I am going to call the cops.” She dials 9-1-1 and struggles to get words out but just enough for the cops to head to the school. “Hey... I'm at North Hill High at lunch outside and um... theres...” 
“Hello, could I have a name please. Miss, what seems to be the matter are you in trouble?” The cop says hearing nothing but the sound of fearful tears. “I will be there as soon as I can, just stay calm.” 
The cop arrives and finds the two girls by the body in the bathroom, they run up and explain what happened to him crying, scared in his arms. “Yea when I came in here, I saw Willow, another girl that goes here run out, maybe she knows something.” Said Aubrey still very hysterical. 
“Oh no... Not Willow.” Said the Cop under his breath. 
“You know her. What's going on? Is she in trouble?” 
“Clear the area! And tell the principle that said to send everyone home... NOW!” 
  The cops later arrived at Willow’s house. They knock and Willow's mother answers the door. “Hello, Ms. Jones. I'm officer Charles. I'm the one that spoke to your daughter last week, and I'm afraid I have some very bad knows.” 
Ms. Jones let the officer in and after hearing the news called down Willow and broke down in her arms. “Willow, honey!!! What happened! Oh my god what the hell has been happening. Why haven't you talked to me! I could have gotten you help if you just would’ve talked to me!” 
“I am so sorry! I really am mom! Officer Jones, I don’t know what's wrong with me! I need help! Please take me to get help!” 
The officer transported her to a psychiatric hospital that specializes in mental issues like schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder. Where she then begins proper treatment and starts on medication. All under close supervision by trained specialist. 
She gets settled in and begins treatment and each night she is allowed two phone calls. “Excuse me... may I please call a family friend?” 
“Yea of course here.” Says her physiatrist. 
“Hello, yes this is Willow. Yes, I know about Stacey... I am sorry... That’s actually why I'm calling you. You see its all my fault she's dead and I am so sorry. I shouldn’t have let that happen. I can't believe I let it happen.” 
From the other end of the line, she hears a loud bang and sobbing coming from her dad and it broke her. “Sir, the school is giving her a memorial tomorrow if you would like to attend. Bye and im so sorry. Excuse me can I use the last call on my mom?” The lady nods and Willow dials her mom.  
“Willow? Thank god you are okay... I promise we will figure this out.” Willow stays silent as she cannot get anymore words out. “Willow honey are you there?” 
“I love you mom; I love you so much and I never will stop. Thank you... For everything. Im going to miss you.” Willow said tears running down her face, as she hangs up the phone. 
Walking back to her room she snuck a knife under her pillowcase. “I will be with you again Stacy don’t worry... I will free myself from Marley’s control. And bring us together again. And stop all of this hurt. This is what's best for everyone.” She writes a letter that she says to give to her mom reading. I am so sorry for not talking to you sooner. That Marley girl I was talking about made me do all of this. I love you and none of this is because of you. I will miss you so much and my spirit will always remain with you. And you will always be in my heart. Love Willow.  
Willow then takes the knife and slits both of her wrists. 
“I'm so sorry Stacey... I’m so sorry mom... I'm so sorry everyone.” she said only moments before collapsing on the floor.