A Fatal Love | Teen Ink

A Fatal Love

I was in the middle of revisions but my time was cut short, so the ending doesn't make much sense. I couldn't make Nero's character development happen in the time I had, but I hope you like it, and please critique me on this story!!! 

She sprinted through the dark forest dodging branches as best she could, they tore her clothes and clawed at her skin but she kept on. He was after her, she knew he was. She could feel his presence behind her, slowly gaining on her. Her mind wandered to the thought of killing him soon, It made her sad, She wanted their game of cat and mouse to continue. But all good things must come to an end at some point. The trees began to clear, the grass tapered off into the cracks of the cobblestone, and her pace slowed. She felt him standing behind her. Watching. So she took this as an opportunity to speak.

“Awww man, I guess you caught me”, she said, turning her head to the side and glancing over her shoulder at her pursuer. A strand of hair fell into her face drawing his attention to her glowing emerald eyes. The corner of her lips tugged upwards into a playful smile as if daring him to make a move. The man unsheathed his sword in a fast motion, but she was faster, She spun on her heels quickly advancing toward the man. Her sword sliced through his torso leaving him in two, his body fell limp onto the ground, his blood trickling through the cracks of the cobblestone.  

She wiped her bloodied sword on his shirt. A heavy gust of wind blew knocking her black hood off her head. She stood looking into the sky, she ran her hand through her red locks as they shined in the moonlight. She allowed her mind to wander once more to her first love and best friend, Azazel. had she chosen the right path; were endless hours of torture to find him worth it. What if he was already dead? These thoughts played like an endless loop in her mind. She would find him, eventually.

She sighed deeply throwing her hands in the air. “Man I need some food, that was so tiring,” she huffed. She continued walking along the cobblestone path and soon arrived in a fairly large town. 

“Now where is that old man?” she said massaging her chin in thought. She continued adventuring through town until she started to recognize the shops she passed by. She spotted the old man who was now passed out drunk on some crates and approached him. 

“Hey old man, where’s my horse?” she asked kicking the crates below him causing him to jolt awake.

“HEY! Oh, it’s you… your horse? Well, I sold him,” he replied nonchalantly. 

“What do you mean you sold him? To who?” her patience dwindling by the second. 

“Some man offered me good money for ‘em, I tried to refuse but he demanded the horse be his.” the man said. At this point her smile was now filled with bloodlust, she shoved him against a building, holding a dagger up to his throat she questioned further. 

“Who did you sell him to?” She spat, her words laced with venom. 

“I-I don’t know his name!” His voice quivered. She pressed the dagger into his neck causing a trickle of blood to roll down his neck.

“OKAY, OKAY,” the man shouted in fear, “It was a man, he had blonde hair and blue eyes, he said he was heading towards the m-market I believe his name was Eden Smith,” the man stuttered. She removed the dagger from his neck and stepped away from him, he fell to his knees coughing. 

“Hey, I remember you! You’re Red the famous assassin from the Eastern kingdom!” the man shouted. Red stood still for a moment, confirming the man’s suspicions.

“Awww man, and I was going to let you live too!” she said ” Red stated flatly before she slit his throat. 

Red made her way towards the market in search of her friendly familiar and transportation, while traveling down a dirt road she spotted a blonde-haired, blue-eyed man riding a horse. Her eyes narrowed in on the red engraving on the horse’s reins, she cut into the forest and ran up ahead. As they neared she stepped out of the bush and collapsed to the ground in pain, blocking the path of the man. He hopped off of the horse and approached Red, fuming with rage. She readied her dagger, concealing it in her black cloak, he knelt spitting in her face as he began to speak.

“Get out of the road you b-” the man was cut short by Red as she plunged her dagger into his stomach. With blood-stained hands, she dragged his body into the forest in an attempt to hide what had happened. Red walked over to her horse and rubbed his nose.

“Did you really think I’d leave you with this incompetent bastard Roach?” Red chuckled. Roach nuzzled his nose into Red’s hand, Red began to laugh. 

“Okay buddy we have a job to complete, but first I’m starving so let’s find something to eat,” Red walked over to the side of Roach and hoisted herself up, “our favorite marketplace is nearby, let’s head there.” She grabbed hold of the reins and started her journey to the market.

Red and Roach arrived at the marketplace a short time later, Red had tied Roach to a post by the entrance of the marketplace. As she squeezed through the crowd of people as she remembered when she and Azazel would come to this exact market to play and steal food. She continued through the marketplace, her boots dirtying from the muddy ground. All sorts of smells wafted into her nose, and those around her could see her visibly drool. She speeds over to a pie stand and eyes an apple pie.

“Hello, there little lady! What can I get for ya?” the stand owner exclaims cheerily.

“Nothing yet sir, I am just lookin’,”  Red states as she continued to admire the pies, the man snapped at her.

“Well if you're not going to get anything you need to leave, you’re scarin’ my customers away,” He snips. Red glared at him, but he either didn’t notice or didn’t care. She walked in a large circle that would ultimately lead to the back of the pie stand, and it is there where she slashed a hole into the tarp of the pie stand. She crawled through and peeked through the torn cloth to make sure the coast was clear, Red noticed the Pieman was talking to a customer so she took the chance to move over to the pies. Red spotted the apple pie she had been drooling over and grabbed it, she darted from the stand back to her horse, seemingly unaware that someone was following her. 

Red licked her lips as she took out the pie when suddenly the sound of twigs snapping could be heard from behind her. She shot up, sword in hand ready for whoever was lurking in the shadow. 

“Show yourself, I know you’re the one that has been following me.” the darkened figure stepped from the shadow

“Wow, I didn’t think you noticed me.” the man chuckled. 

“State your name and purpose,” Red said coldly, The man just continued to laugh. Red’s patience was swindling once again.

“State your name and purpose, I will not repeat myself.” the man’s laughter died out as he cleared his throat to introduce himself 

“Nero.” Red stood there wide-eyed 

“Sorry, could you repeat yourself?” Red stated, the man cracked a smile, amused by her reaction. 

“The names’ Nero sweetheart.” she cringed at the pet name, however, now she understood why it was so hard to sense him following her. He was the greatest assassin in the Western Kingdom, she was eager to see what he was capable of, but she had a job to complete so she decided to play dumb.

“So, why are you ‘The greatest assassin of the West’ following me?” Red asked, now more cautious than before. 

“Well, I saw you steal a pie so I decided to confront you about it.” Red took a deep breath considering her next words carefully. 

It wasn’t the fact that she was face to face with a great assassin. no. she just didn’t want to get waste energy and time in a fight she could easily avoid. All that was on Red’s to-do list was to eat that pie and kill the Western King. She did not need a goody two-shoe assassin trying to slow her down.

“I am eating this pie no matter what,” Red stated,  Nero, laughed

“I thought you would say something like that, follow me.” He began to walk away, Red’s curiosity got the best of her and she followed him. 

“So where are we going?” Red asked, following closely behind the tall male. 

“To make amends.” Nero abruptly stopped causing Red to slam into his back, and fall into the mud. Although she could’ve easily avoided this she had kept her act up until she was in the clear. 

“LOOK WHAT YOU DID YOU, IDIOT,” she yelled, Red stood up and realized they had stopped at the same pie stand. 

“Here you are good sir, I apologize for my friend’s stealing habits,” Nero said, smiling warmly at the Pieman. The Pieman stared at him for a moment, then glanced behind him making eye contact with Red. Red smiled cheekily and rubbed the back of her neck in embarrassment. 

“Sorry old habits die hard,” Red stated cheekily. The Pieman grumbled something yet nodded his head in incomprehension. Ignoring her comment he meets Nero’s gaze.

“your friend over there seemed hungry, but don’t let it happen again.” Nero nodded and took his leave with Red following closely behind. Now she didn’t want to follow him at first but her curiosity got the better of her. Why did he help her instead of turning her in?

“Why are you following me?” Nero asked. 

“I don’t have anything to do,” she lied, “And you seem interesting.”

“If you wish to follow me, I need to know your name,” Nero said. Red had failed to notice that while they were talking he had walked into the woods just beyond the market, but far enough so no one could hear someone scream.

“You can call me Red,” She said grinning ear to ear. Nero paused for a moment, letting her words sink in. 

“Red as in the assassin from the Eastern Kingdom?” He asked. Red noticed his change in demeanor and she slipped her hand down to the hilt of her sword. To be honest, she was still pissed that he interrupted her date with her glorious apple pie.

“Correct,” She mused, a shit-eating grin gracing her features. 

“What’s wrong?,” she asked, “Cat got your tongue?” The sound of scraping metal could be faintly heard from where she stood. He advanced towards her at inhuman speed, she chuckled to herself and unsheathed her sword, blocking his attack last second. The two swords clashed together, Nero and Red’s eyes met, Her playful green eye staring into his deadly red. She felt a familiarity in his eyes, but the feeling vanished as quickly as it had appeared. 

“Although I am eager to fight you, my love,” she cooed “I have a job I must complete, and I can not have any distractions slowing me down.” Red noticed his poor footing, so she kicked the back of his leg causing Nero to fall to his knees while simultaneously losing the grip on his sword. Before the blade reached the ground Red kicked the hilt of the sword sending it straight toward a tree. With his blade now lodged in a tree, Nero eyed it in irritation. How was he supposed to get his sword out? Remembering he was in the middle of a fight he whipped his head around but was met with silence. His eyes widened in surprise and he focussed his attention back on where his sword was. Red sat on top of his sword picking at her nails.

“I must go now my love, but I promise you the next time we meet, I shall take the fight seriously.” She said blowing a kiss. Red waved to Nero, then vanished out of thin air.

Nero huffed in annoyance as he stood up, he didn’t know why he had helped her at the market he just felt compelled to do so. He cursed himself for not turning her over to the guards. He looked up at his sword and scoffed. He wondered how the king was going to react, he hoped the king would forgive him, but oh how wrong he was. 

Red was hopping from branch to branch in the trees, thinking over what had just happened. She let her mind wander. Red wasn’t always an assassin, but after the Western King burned her village down, and kidnapped her best friend Azazel, she was filled with rage. So she trained and started taking ‘jobs’ from nobles and soon enough the Eastern King sought her out. The king offered her a place to stay and the freedom to do whatever she pleased as long as she completed her assigned jobs. She trained within the Eastern Kingdom for four years, sparring with the greatest fighters and swordsmen in Eastern territory. She needed to become powerful enough to kill the Western King Red can’t remember much of him, but she remembers his sweet words, and his promise to marry her when he grew up. “Oh how times have changed,” she thought to herself. 

The torches of the marketplace began to gleam through the trees. She dropped down from the branch she was on, effortlessly landing on the ground. Red stood from her crouching position and began adventuring to her horse. 

The sound of skin slapping skin could be heard through the walls. The king was going through a fit of rage smacking, kicking, and yelling at Nero for failing to catch the biggest threat to his kingdom. Nero stood there emotionless, it was normal for the king to act as such when a job didn’t go as planned. After calming from his fit Nero got right to the main problem.

“What would you like me to do with her?” Nero begins, “I do not believe she is a threat at the moment, sir.” 

“Azazel you are still too naive to understand, but that’s okay because I am here to guide you,” The king approached Nero and bent down catching his chin between his index finger and thumb, he lifts his chin forcing Nero to look at him.

“Fall in love with her. Make her believe you would do anything for her, then kill her.” Nero is silent for a moment before responding.

“Understood.”

Once Red returned to her horse, she was surprised to see a group of children braiding his mane. She giggled to herself and approached the children. 

“Hello there kiddos, seems like you’re enjoying yourselves.”

“Oh hello Miss, we just couldn’t resist braiding his hair,” One of the little girls stated. 

“It’s alright I think he looks very handsome,” Red said smiling warmly at the children, blushes apparent on their faces as they stared in awe at the woman before them. 

“Miss, can we braid your hair too?” another child asked.

“Of course, you can!,” she said “I would love that.”

Red pulled her hood down to reveal her red hair, the children stared at her for a good moment, taking in her features. 

“Wow miss, your hair is beautiful,” one stated, running her hands through Red's hair.

“Let’s get some flowers!” another suggested.

The children ran off to find flowers, while Red sat there smiling at the children. The children came back and braided the flowers into her hair.

Returning to her kingdom, Red marched up to the king’s chambers, she pushed the door open inviting herself in. She knelt on the floor waiting for the king to speak.

“You know some people find it rude when guests do not knock” The king snarled 

“Excuse my  rudeness sir, but we have a problem,” Red stated 

“What is so important that you had to disturb me in my chambers?” The king questioned 

“I ran into the assassin by the name of Nero,” Red stated, “shall I take care of him first?”

“No, Esmeray I need you to hold off for now,” The king said, “I want you to continue completing side jobs asked by nobles.” 

“Understood.” Red stood from her kneeling position, bowed to the king, and took her to leave. 

“Wow, he must be pissed,” a man dressed in gold and purple noble attire stated, as he leaned against the dimly lit wall. 

“I recommend you shut your mouth Arthur,” Red snapped, “or I'll shut it for you.”

“Why is it only me you hate Esmeray,” Arthur mocked as he gripped his chest dramatically. 

“It’s Red to you, scum,” Red stated as she began to walk away, “I am only nice to respectable people.”

“But dear Esmeray, don’t go yet, I have something you may want,” Arthur stated with a smug grin on his face. Red stopped momentarily, she turned her head to the side.

“Well if it can wait until I have completed my mission, then stop wasting my time,”

“The information I have is about Azazel, Esmeray I have found something,” Arthur said with an evil smile evident on his face, “I can not reveal much, but I can tell you that he has become powerful within the Western Kingdom.” 

“And what would you like in return Arthur, we both know you want something from me in exchange,” Red stated, as she continued to glare at him from over her shoulder.

“Well if you insist,” He stated playfully, “I need you to ‘get rid of’ someone for me.”

“Name?”

“Fredrick Dougherty, he resides within the city of Leiden,” Arthur stated his smile dropping and demeanor shifting.

“He has stolen something very valuable to me, so I need you to get it back,” Arthur states, “What’d ya’ say darlin’?”

“Two things,” Red sneers, “ 1. Don’t call me darlin’ 2. I will neutralize the thief.” Red walked away before Arthur could speak.

Nero was walking around the city of Leiden, keeping an eye out for anything suspicious. Today was the day the Duke of Leiden Fredrick Dougherty was supposed to announce the new trading route with the rural lands of the western territory. The streets were filled with vendors and people. Nero continued walking through the crowded streets when he saw movement from one of the roofs. He used 

She ran through the foreign halls of the Western kingdom; she had just successfully killed the Duke of Leiden, Fredrick Dougherty. Weaving through the numerous guards that stood in her way. She found herself backed into a corner, with the only way of escape being the balcony. She sprinted outside towards the balcony leaping onto the ledge, the wind blew, threatening to knock her off balance, and the sound of the waves churning and crashing can be heard from below. Red glanced at the soldiers with a wide grin plastered on her face. She saluted the men, before closing her eyes and falling back into the dark abyss of the night. Her hands stretched outward as if accepting her fate when something or someone slammed into her. Red looked to her left to see the one person she never expected to save her, Nero. 

“I can truthfully say that this is the first time you have ever scared me,” Nero stated, as sweat and fear drenched his face. Nero and Red crashed to the ground, the grass doing little to soften the landing.

“I thought you hated me?” Red said releasing a breath she had not realized she had been holding.

“If I hated you, I wouldn’t have saved you,” Nero says, shaking his head. 

“You have an opportunity to kill me, so why don’t you?” Red swallowed

“Why would I kill my reason for living?” Nero said with a low chuckle. Red realized his face had slowly drawn closer, she could feel his breath on her lips. 

“May I?” Nero whispered in the little space remaining between them. Red looked at him and nodded her head slightly, encouraging him to continue. His lips crashed into hers in a desperate kiss that could end all of their pain and suffering. 

Red had to admit Nero was starting to grow on her, he made her so happy. Of course, he would leave for a few hours during the night, but she had summed it up as him being busy with late-night jobs. The night before everything changed was different, Red and Nero played in the grass, her head resting on his chest. She listened to his heartbeat, slow and rhythmic, she could have fallen asleep right then and there. He pointed to the stars, his hand tracing an invisible outline that only he could see. That night they made a promise to one another, that even if they were forbidden to be together, they would build a cottage somewhere in the woods and start a new life. A life far away from their past, Sadly that promise was broken a day later.

It had been a normal day for red as she ventured to their usual meeting place, she waited for him, and waited. It was dusk now and she sat in the grass picking and peeling the green blades. He soon stepped out of the forest, she immediately noticed his odd behavior.

“Nero? What’s wrong?” Red asks, she waits for an answer but doesn’t receive one. 

“Nero?” She asks again, still no answer. Nero unsheaths his sword and points it at her.

“Nero, what is wrong with you?” Red says backing away. Nero sprints towards her with his sword raised, ready to strike. Red moves out of the way, Nero’s sword piercing the ground where she once stood. He stood before her, her once love, now her enemy looked at her with an evil smile on his face. “Was everything a lie?” she asked herself. Was every kiss he had ripped from her, every promise and memory made, was it all just a part of his web of deceit? Red became sick at the thought, she raised her sword, angling it at him. Nero shook his head in disappointment.

“You were just a means to an end Red,” he reveals, his eyes trained on her, “You’re only using your abilities to better my own.” 

“Trusting you was my mistake,” Red sneers. 

“No Red, Loving me was your mistake,” Nero states with no hint of remorse or regret in his voice. 

“A mistake I will never make again,” Red growls, her anger, betrayal, and sadness, all hitting her at once.

“That mistake was your downfall Red,” Nero states as his eyes flicker from her face to her sword, “And now I must fulfill.” Nero sprints toward Red with his sword drawn, He strikes first with an upward slash. Red Barely blocks it, her mind still spinning with disbelief. She felt so stupid, How could she be so careless as to let herself love someone, especially the enemy. Nero swung his sword once again, this time slicing Red’s arm in the process. “Shit, if I need to gather my thoughts later,” Red thinks to herself, “Right now I need to focus on staying alive, if not for me, then for him.” Thoughts of Azazel flood her mind, but she is quick to shake them away. Nero advances once again this time changing the grip on his sword, He tilts the blade sideways, and the moonlight shines down on the blade, temporarily blinding Red. Nero slashes his sword, aiming at her throat. Red quickly dodges, The blade grazes her neck, and a small trickle of blood rolls down her neck. 

Their swords clashed and clanked, Nero ceaselessly attacked Red, she had grown tired and her movements were becoming sloppy. He launched his sword at her, while she was distracted by the flying sword that was quickly approaching her, he ran to her side efficiently tackling her to the ground. He plunged his dagger into her chest, her breaths became shallow. She laughed, simultaneously coughing up blood.

“Red, before you die I would like to know your real name,” Nero says as he looms over Red’s dying body. She laughs to herself at the audacity but agrees to share her name. 

“I would like to know yours first,” she states looking at the clouds above.

“My real name is Azazel,” He states. Her eyes widen in shock, she looks over at him in disbelief. She raises her hand, signaling for him to come closer. She cups his face with her palm and brings him closer, she gasps in shock.

“Azazel?” she says voice cracking. His eyes widen in shock at the familiarity in her tone.

“Esmeray?” he whispers, she nods her head. He sits there staring at her in surprise, his eyes change from surprised to full of worry and remorse. 

“No wait I’m sorry, don’t go,” Nero states his voice breaking as he choked back tears, “don’t leave me, please don’t go.” Red shushed him, rubbing her thumb under his eye to catch the tear threatening to fall. 

“Don’t cry, you’re perfect,” Red states lovingly. Her eyes begin to close, and her breathing slows, she smiles at him for the last time. Red’s hand drops from his face, creating a light thudding sound when it hits the ground. Azazel shook her in an attempt to wake her from her eternal sleep. He grabbed her and cradled her in his arms hoping this was all a dream.

A few years had passed since their fight, and Azazel was haunted by the memories of losing his only love. He blamed himself for not realizing who she was sooner, if he had only connected the dots faster maybe, just maybe she would still be alive. He regretted not keeping his promise to marry her, filled with the guilt he decided to leave the life of an assassin behind, and he built a small cottage in a forest not too far from where they first met. Maybe he did it as an apology for breaking so many promises, or maybe in some way it made him feel closer to her. After the loss of Esmeray, Azazel started to spiral, he had lost everything, everyone, he begged the sky every night to fulfill his endless pleas to see her just once more. It was late afternoon, the rain pelted against the windows of the small cottage, when suddenly he heard a voice coming from deep within the forest, increasingly becoming louder, closer, he recognized the voice. “Esmeray?” he whispers to himself as he looks out the window of his small cottage. Azazel spots Esmeray weaving between trees, drenched from the downpours, her voice seemed hoarse from screaming his name. Azazel scrambled to the door, knocking everything that lay in his path over, he swung the door open, wasting no time rushing outside to meet her. The rain battered his face, he didn’t care, he just wanted to see her, hold her again. She was in arms reach now, a feeling bubbled deep in his gut. “Was this nervousness? Excitement? Probably a mix of both,” He thought to himself. Azazel reached out to her, waiting for her to fall into his arms, tell him everything was okay, and that she forgave him. She never did, just as quickly as she had appeared, she was gone. He fell to his knees, crying for her to return, he gripped the mossy ground as tears blurred his eyes. He looked up to the sky again that night, this time with anger-filled eyes. He cursed at the sky as tears streamed down his cheeks.