Historians Will Call Them | Teen Ink

Historians Will Call Them

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. All I did was suggest to the good doctor that he may be wrong in his diagnosis. How was I meant to know he would get so offended!? Surely it can’t be that hard to accept that a woman can be a doctor, and that she can diagnose and treat just as well as any man. And sure, maybe I shouldn’t have punched him, but he shouldn’t have put his giant, ugly nose right in my face. As far as I’m concerned, he deserved it. Which is why I don’t think I can spend so much as another hour in this cramped, stinky cell. At least it won’t be much longer until Lady Dewitt notices I’m missing and comes to retrieve me from this he --

“And then I parried his blade and struck him down! And just as I turned around, I saw my captain win the duel with the galleon's captain! I was never worried, of course, my captain never loses a fight.”

Damit. Just as I managed to tune him out, the Spaniard's volume rose once more. Personally, I find it difficult to believe a word that’s spewing from his mouth, but his little audience seems entranced.

“Are you really a pirate?”  As much as I’d like to ignore him, my curiosity has gotten the better of me, and I can’t help but ask the question that’s been on my mind since the man began his story telling. 

“Why of course I am! What has put doubt into your heart, my fair lady?” 

“I’d prefer if you didn’t call me that.” I couldn’t help but grimace slightly at his words. 

“I apologise my dear, but I don’t really have anything else to call you, seeing as you haven’t given me a name. I’ll tell you what, I’ll give you mine first, if that makes you more comfortable. My name is Gideon Fletcher, and you may call me Gideon!”

I’m not sure I can trust this man, but he seems honest, if perhaps a bit flamboyant. I suppose giving him my name would only be fair.

“My name is Elsie. Elsie Rosewood. And I suppose I’m a bit sceptical because I have not yet heard you give a name to your beloved captain, or the ship you sail on.”

At my words, Gideon gives a sheepish little chuckle.  

“I must apologise once more, Miss Rosewood. Most people I meet in places like this already know who I am, and who I sail for. Captain Winters and the crew of the Sea Queen are quite famous, among criminals and gentry alike, and her name carries a certain amount of weight. Captain Winters is widely referred to as the Pirate Queen, and she’s the best captain I’ve ever sailed under!”

His words made me pause. Though women pirates were not unheard of, they weren’t exactly common, and usually weren’t captains. This captain being a woman didn’t concern me; I could care less about gender roles and societal standards. What made me pause was this: it was then that I realised that I had heard of Captain Winters, after all, who hasn’t. The captain was in newspaper headlines at least once a month, and you can constantly hear the name being tossed around in conversation. That being said, I found it all the more difficult to believe Gideon’s words. 

“If Captain Winters is so famous, how did you end up here?” I gesture around at the concrete jail cell. He opens his mouth to reply, but is interrupted by someone behind me, and I turn around to face the speaker. 

“Because my second in command likes to get himself into trouble.” She turns to me, her low, silky voice full of amusement. “He also likes to talk,” she gives him a pointed look “so I hope you’ll excuse him for talking your ear off.”

The voice belongs to an intimidating looking woman, and her proper british accent doesn’t quite match her appearance. She looks to be a good 5 inches or so taller than me; about 5’11 if I had to guess. Her curly, raven hair, secured by a head scarf underneath her tricorn hat, flowed down to just above her waist. Her hat is impressive, and clearly marks her as a captain. She wears a simple looking white linen shirt with what looked to be a corset over it. She has on black pants, and practical looking boots in the same colour. What really draws my attention, however, is her blood red coat, and the elaborate sheath at her hip. I assume this is Captain Winters, and as I look at her I can certainly understand everyone’s fear and fascination. 

“Captain!” Gideon looks relieved, and perhaps a bit embarrassed, to see his captain. “I was only speaking my mind!”

“Well then perhaps you should learn to speak a little quieter.” She chuckles as she walks toward the cell door, pulling a key out of her coat pocket, and addresses me as she unlocks the door. “And now, my dear lady, I must ask you to excuse my lack of manners. I am Captain Charlotte Winters. Most call me captain,” she looks me up and down, appraising me “but you may call me Charlie.” She smiles at me as she opens the cell door, and I’m struck by just how beautiful her smile is. 

“Thank you for the help, captain,” I say as I step out of the cell, “it is most appreciated.” Her smile widens at my words; it’s a beautiful smile, but it puts me on edge, and I can’t help but feel it’s also quite dangerous.  

“May I perhaps have your name, my lady?” Her eyes gleam with mischief. “After all, I gave you mine. It would only be fair.”

“Elsie Rosewood.” 

“Your name sounds familiar,” she says as she squints at me “may I ask who you work for?” 

“I work for Doctor Henry Dewitt and his wife.” I replied somewhat reluctantly. I’m not sure how much I want her to know about me, but I suppose her questions are harmless.

“Ah!” Her eyes light up with recognition. “Henry told me about you! He told me you wish to be a doctor. He also told me you're the best nurse he’s ever had the pleasure of working with and teaching.” Her eyes then narrowed once more, and her lips kicked up at the corners. “So how did you end up here, Ellie?”

“What was the point of telling you my name if you’re not going to use it?” I ask, hoping she drops the subject of my unfortunate imprisonment.

“I am using it! I just… tweaked it.” Her smile didn’t falter. Somehow, I can tell this is an argument I’m not going to win.

“Whatever, call me what you will, it doesn't matter anyway. It’s not like we’ll be seeing much more of each other.”

“Actually, I’m afraid you’re stuck with me for a bit longer.” Oh no. I do not like that smug look on her face, not one bit. “I have some business with Doctor Dewitt, and it would only be polite for me to escort you home.” 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

How long had I been waiting for the captain and her mentor to finish their ‘business’? It felt like an eternity, but as I looked up at the clock I realised it had only been about an hour. Finally, the pair emerged from Doctor Dewitts study. As the captain walked out, she glanced around as if looking for something. Finally, her eyes met mine, and she smiled. I’m not quite sure I liked the mischief it held. 

“There you are, Petal! Or perhaps I should call you Doctor?” She says as the pair walks over to me, and I am suddenly very uncertain of what I’ve gotten myself into. 

“What do you mean Doctor?” 

“The good captain and I have come to an agreement.” Doctor Dewitt spoke up. “I think it’s time you branched out my dear. Unfortunately, English society is likely to view you as nothing more than a nurse, and I know you’re capable of bigger, better things.” His smile wobbles a little, and he places his hand on my shoulder. “I’m so proud of you, and you know my wife and I love you as if you were our own daughter, but I’ve done everything I can for you.” 

“What? What are you talking about?” I’m incredibly confused, and I have no idea what’s happening. 

“The agreement, my little blossom,” the captain says as she steps up next to the Doctor “is that you are coming with me.” You’ve always wanted to be a doctor, yes?”

“Well yes, but--” 

“Then now’s your chance! You will be a doctor on my ship! Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some business to take care of in town, but I’ll be back in a few hours to come pick you up. I’ll see you then, my lady!”    

What?! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

“And that,” I say as I wrap a bandage around the man's wound, “is how I met the love of my life, and became a doctor on a pirate ship. Far from conventional, I know, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.” I sigh, and I won’t deny the fondness in my voice whenever I talk about Charlie. Speaking of… ah! There she is.

Charlie sits across the tavern, drinking ale and sharing tall tales with other pirates, I assume. Sometimes I forget just how beautiful she is. Intimidating, no one can deny, but still beautiful. She’s surprisingly kind, and fair, and she lives for her crew, which is all made up of misfits and social outcasts. And I can honestly say I’m proud to be a part of said crew.

A pair of hands slide onto my shoulders. “I hope you haven’t been having too much fun without me, my flower?”

“Charlie! There you are, darling.” I say as I place one of my hands on top of hers. “Of course not. How can anyone have fun without you around?” I ask sarcastically.

“Very funny.” She replies. “Now, are you almost done patching up this poor fellow? I’d very much like to turn in for the night. And,” she leans down to whisper in my ear “I’m getting quite tired of sharing you, my love. I’d much rather have you all to myself right now.” 

“Yes, I’m all done. And I agree, some sleep sounds lovely right about now.”

“Excellent! Let us be on our way then!”

As I get up, she wraps her arm around my waist, and we share a quick kiss. As we begin walking out of the tavern and toward the Sea Queen, I can’t help but reflect on my life, and what it’s become. Sure, it’s dangerous, but Gideon wasn’t kidding when he said that Charlie was an amazing captain, and I’ve never seen her lose a fight. 

Speaking of Gideon, the two of us have become good friends. I’ve also gotten quite close to his lover, Willis. When I first met Will, I found it hard to believe that he and Gideon were involved, because the two are so different! But then again, the same thing could be said about Charlie and I.  And as I stare up at the woman I’ve fallen in love with, I feel a warmth grow in my chest. I know that whatever happens, I will always have my captain; I will always have my Charlie. She looks down at me, and I can tell she’s thinking the same thing. 

“I love you.” She says as she tightens her grip around me, and she leans down to press a kiss to my forehead. 

“I love you too.” I say, and I wrap my arm around her waist, and we continue towards the ship.  

And as I walk toward the ship I call home, in the arms of the woman that make it my home, I realise that as strange and unconventional as my life has become, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.