Stuck In A Man's Life | Teen Ink

Stuck In A Man's Life

March 5, 2011
By Mythlover, Whangarei, Other
More by this author
Mythlover, Whangarei, Other
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
One thing that never ceases to amaze me, along with the growth of vegetation from the earth and of hair from the head, is the growth of understanding.


Author's note: I got inspired to write this in English. We were studying Shakespeare's 'Twelfth Night'. I love it. So i decided to write a modern version of it, with my own little twists and turns.

“Violet!” Ruby shouted into the phone, “will you ever wake up. We don’t have that long before your leaving so I plan on spending every second with you. Can’t you at least try and cooperate.”
“Ruby, I’m right next to you,” I groaned, not even bothering to talk into the phone.

“I know, but you were so fast asleep. I couldn’t bear to wake you up by shaking you.”
I smiled. I could never stay angry with her for long.

“So?” she smiled, “what are we going to do today?”

“What about going out to lunch and then renting a movie?”

“NO!” she shrieked. I laughed. I knew exactly what we both wanted to do, but I enjoyed pretending. I pretended to think, screwing up my face to make it more believable. Ruby sat next to me on my double bed and stared at me with her big green eyes.

“What about ... going to the lake,” I suggested innocently.

“YAAY!!” Ruby yelled. She bounced off the bed and ran into my walk-in-wardrobe.
Fifteen minutes later I was sitting in my car revving up the engine. Ruby had thrown our swimming bags in the trunk, jumped into the shotgun seat, and turned the radio up until my eardrums were thumping on either side of my head. I winced and quickly turned it down, frowning at Ruby’s innocent face. I turned out of the driveway and sped off to the lake.
The lake was packed with families who were splashing around in the shallow water and teenagers who were organizing volleyball games on the grass. I pulled into a free parking and son we were spread out on the grass watching the volleyball games.


“I can’t believe that your dad’s sending you away,” Ruby whimpered.

“I have to go. Dad’s mother is sick and he can’t get enough time off work.” Pulling at a long red curl I watched as a sporty looking girl spiked the ball, winning a point for her team. I rolled over onto my back and let the sun warm my aching body. The amulet around my neck burned against my skin. I breathed out and relaxed. I was going to miss this. Feeling free. Like a seal.

“When are you leaving again?” Ruby asked gulping down ¾ of the water bottle. I swallowed.

“Um… the day after tomorrow.”
Ruby spat her mouthful of water out, drenching me. She spluttered for a few seconds before she could make her mouth form the words her mind was throwing at me. “WHAT!?!”

“Dad insisted on me leaving as soon as possible. We don’t know how long Grams has got left.”

Ruby’s eyes pleaded silently with me, “but what am I supposed to do without you? How am I meant to survive the jungle most people call school alone? Do you know what Stella does to her prey? She turns them into outcasts. And believe my, if you leave, I’ll be on the top of her list.”

“I’m sorry, Rubs,” I put my hand on her shoulder, “I have to go. But I’ll be back, and then we’ll sort out Stella together.” I jumped up and started throwing everything back into my bag, “I have to go, but I’ll call you as soon as I get there.”

“But aren’t you going by boat?”

“Yea, why?”

“It’ll take you a week or so to get there.”

“I’m sorry,” I said, “come on. I’ll get you an ice-cream before I drop you off.”

“Your living a girl’s dream,” Ruby whispered, “you don’t even know it.”
My full suitcase sat on my neatly made bed, ready to go. A soft knock on the door made me jump.

“Hey, pineapple,” dad smiled as he pushed the door open with his foot.

“Hey, dad,” I gave him a hug and sat down on the suitcase. Dad chose the rocking chair in the corner.

“I have something for you,” he said, pulling out a sea green parcel. I caught my breath as I watched the green wrapping paper ripple like water. “I saw it and thought you could use it on your trip.”
I slowly took the present and gently unwrapped it. The paper fell away and I was left holding a little wooden flute. Beautiful patterns had been carved in to the wood. A shell decorated the mouthpiece. I gasped, “It’s beautiful.” Dad smiled and tapped his nose, “daddy knows everything.” I blushed.
“I’ll drive you to the port in half an hour,” he said before getting up and disappearing down the stairs.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Nov. 29 2011 at 5:17 pm
silentpeacock BRONZE, Whitney, Texas
1 article 1 photo 80 comments

Favorite Quote:
all it takes is all youve got

love it! will you be continuing it? i think you should.