Life Gone Bad | Teen Ink

Life Gone Bad

By meWithoutU GOLD, San Diego, California
meWithoutU GOLD, San Diego, California

life is a puzzle
one that stumps everyone
your life can be grand
your life can truthfully suck
it all depends how you put it together
the big picture
and what it means
you have the power to change
so you choose
how do you wanna live

“Its at least been a year since my accident or should I say my meeting with death.” I think to myself as if I'm narrating my own life.
“This is so stupid!” I say aloud. The nurse told me,
“This will help you deal with what's going on.” what a lie, it just makes me feel even weirder, but in my thoughts I can still hear him wailing my name, Thorn. The girl tough as nails and as unreadable as a foreign language. I laugh, I enjoy not being noticed or cared about. Suddenly, I feel a change in the air as if its beginning to fill with static.
“Who's there” I say feeling my bravery slowly slip. Then a child just appears out of nowhere. She beckons me to follow, so I do. I follow her out of my house. Not afraid of what my parents would say, they abandoned me here they can be getting their throats slit for all I care. As I was following her I began to grow impatient,
“Where are we going and who are you.” I say in an impatient tone.
“My name does not matter, and for where we are going you will soon find out.”She said all this in a monotone voice.
“I’ll call you No One then” thinking to myself that the name fit well. Then No One disappeared.
I quickly look around, after a moment I realize this was the old park. As I was looking around I thought I heard his voice, as though he was laughing. Then I turned around and saw him standing over a dead young girl. O.M.G its No One!

“See her she died because of poverty and bad health.” he said,
“It'll soon be you!” Then he disappeared just like No One did.
“No One?” I spoke in a soft voice as if I expected to get an answer. I quickly look away from her body, but the feeling of her still being there made me sick.
“I'll bury you in the nicest piece of the park” I spoke to her as though she could still hear me. As I was beginning to dig I felt tears stream down my face. Stop crying you're supposed to be unreadable. I told myself in an angry voice, but the tears still came. Then I laid her body in the grave, and began to fill it. When I was finished I admired how beautiful it was. Then it hit me, I didn't give her a coffin. We all go to the earth in the end, we are born from the earth then for any reason we are taken and die upon it. I don't think she’ll mind though.

On the walk to my house, everything was quiet except for his warning still ringing in my head. I hear his laugh this time not in my thoughts,
“Death is unforgiving and is a greedy man, he will stop at nothing until he takes who needs to be taken.” I hear his voice say as it echos in the empty alleys. I have always known that death is passing through everyone, but only stopping to take the souls that need to be taken. So why can't he take me? I wondered as I appeared at the house door. As soon as I get in I go straight to my bed. I am already asleep before my head touches the pillow. I wake to the sounds of screams.
“WHAT HAS HE DONE!” I say yelling, when I look out my window, I can see people dying before my eyes. Quickly I pack light and run out the door straight for the city.....
Once i reached the city i looked up.
“What's wrong with the sky?”i say in a worried voice. It looked as if the sky died it was a dark black color and soot was falling from the sky.

I see a shadowy figure following me, i quickly turn around i find a young boy slouched against an ally wall.
“are you okay?” i ask him. I begin to grow worried what if he already took him. i slowly walk up to him and touch him ever so gently, he stirred.
“Yes” i say softly glad that his soul was not taken. Then he jumps up startling me.
“Who are you?” he asked me.
“I could tell you the same, my names Thorn what about you?” i explain to him.
“My name is Fred, well at least that's what my old name was” Fred told me.
“Then what should I call you Fred?” I asked him.
“Call me Ares” Ares told me.
“The Greek god of War?” I say almost in a question.
“That's what we're all in right now isn't it” Ares told me. Hes right i told myself. We both began to walk deeper into the city. As i look around i began to see that he also began to destroy the city too. Did he do all this because i wouldn't go with him? I questioned myself.
“What are you doing around here anyway?” Ares asked me.
“I was running away from him.” ashamed that i was running from my problems.
“Who's ‘him’” Ares asked me.
“He goes by many names but is known mostly as Death.” I explained to him.
“Why would Death be after you” i could hear the sarcasm in his voice.
“That's what I'm trying to find out, you don't have to believe me if you don't want to, what happened to you anyway” he automatically went quiet i figured that i went to far.

It was quiet for the rest of the walk, then i heard his voice.
“Come to me and no more people will die” i could tell he was lying.
“I'll never go with you!” i could feel my anger rising how dare he try to bargain with me but I'm really stubborn.
“Who are you talking to?” Ares asked me sounding concerned.
“You didn't hear him talking, Death,?”
“NO, i just heard you talking to yourself.”
“Great now hes talking to me through my head.” But that's impossible isn't it, sending messages mentally no one can do that. I was still struggling over this question when Ares came to a stop.
“What's wrong” i asked. He beckoned me to be quiet and follow him. We started crawling through the rubble. We began to hear voices i open my mouth to talk but Ares beckoned me to stop. We both slowly lift our heads. I bit myself trying to hold in a gasp. He was there surrounded by what i guessed were his henchmen.
“Take the souls of the dying and spare no soul” he ordered in an evil voice. I turn to Ares only to see the color draining from his face. I need to leave now, somethings going to happen. I agreed with the voice in my head.
“Ares we need to go now.” I told him in a quiet whisper. I started edging away then i turn around to see him ready to stand. I quietly ran toward him and pulled him down.
“What are you doing?” i nearly hissed at him. He then turned around to face me, his face clearly told me what he was going to do. He can not start a was here he's committing suicide if he goes by himself. He won't want you following him.
“Screw it!” I said a little too loudly. As the henchmen turned around Ares and I stood up from our hiding place.
“I guess you have come for your death” He said.
“You're the one who is going to have their life taken” I told him in a nasty snarl.
“My my I would watch my temper if I were you” It suddenly became quiet. It was if the silence was mocking me.
“What do you want with me?” I whispered so low i didn't even think he heard me. As soon as the very words escaped my lips all hell broke loose. It was if every person left in the world was on the battlefield in front of me. I go down as a rock the size of a baby nearly hits me. I spot a metal rod caught in the debris and i pick it up.

“Ignore the other people go for Him!” i could barely hear this as Ares yelled in my directions. I understood what i had to do. I ran as swiftly as i could jumping over the dead and avoiding near fatal blows that happen to come my way.
“Gahhhhh” I let out a gasp of pain. My leg was soaked with blood. My blood. I had gotten hit and the cut went deep enough to see my bone.
“ignore the pain ignore the pain” i kept telling myself. I fell onto my knees crawling towards him. I caught sight and pulled myself up onto my feet. We were going to corner him, then it will all end. It can not be that easy. But i shoved this thought away. Then i felt my face being smashed into the ground. I had gotten cold so very cold.
“do you think you can corner me that easily how stupid do you think i am?” He sneered at me.
“I am the ruler of death i am him and he is me!!!!”i could feel my face getting pushed deeper into the mud.
“Leave her alone you monster!!!!” Ares was running at him with the metal rod in his hand . Death just laughed and as though there was an invisible barrier Ares went flying as if he was hurdled in the air by a tough man.
“Ahhhhhhhhhhh” i was able to hear his screams as he was hurdled out of sight. I began to feel weak and lightheaded.
“That was fun now wasn't it lets bring him back for more.” At these words his henchmen came out of the forest holding Ares’s limp body.
“Let him leave” i was barely able to whisper with my face plastered to the ground.
“What did you just say?!?!” i was able to hear him hiss these words as if he achieved an accomplishment.

“Leave him alone he is not involved in this its only between me and you.” I was able to hear Ares groan, i did not want him to get hurt. Then i would be blaming myself.
“ if you let him go i'll go with you”
“Awww how touching you got feelings maybe i'll just kill him know and make you watch.”
“No!!!!!! Please i'll do anything just do not hurt him”
“Do not think about me. You better watch what you promise that jerk”
“I do not approve of your language” then suddenly he was beside Ares
“You better watch what you are doing a lot of blood has spilled on this floor yours does not need to be added” As Death said this i was able to hear the hatred multiplying with each word.
“Just because of your family does not mean i am afraid to kill you now”
“What do you mean i have no family i never did!!!!” This is going to end badly unless i do something but what can i do? And what does he mean Ares has a family that would be as important to mention know.
“have you never thought of your name you fool!! You are related to the Gods!!! And if your parents were to see you they would be disgusted that you fell for Deaths daughter!!!!!!!!!!”
“WHAT!! Do not lie to me” I was able to hear the surprise and anger in his voice.
“And you, leading me here to my Death. I thought we were friends” at these words i felt a ripping pain in my chest as if my heart was smashed into a pulp.
“I had nothing to do with this i did not even know he was my father until now i swear to you” even with these words the pain, fury, and betrayal were still visible in his face.
“You are as good as a liar like your father” With every word that came out of his mouth stabbed me like a million piercing swords.
“Kill me now please it would be better than this please just kill me now” I spoke these words in a whisper growing stronger and stronger.
“Those are the words i have been dying to hear no wait that is you fine i'll kill you but that means you can not come back”
“I am not stupid i know that so just kill me i can not live in a world where he hates me”
“fine it will be my pleasure” Then he raised the metal sword in his hand and brought it down with a meaty thud. My life then ended in that sudden flash.

This is weird i do not feel dead , i felt the blade go through my chest so shouldn't i be dead ?
“You actually killed her” Wow isn’t that Ares how can i hear him ?
“Of course that is what i have been always wanting to do” Hey and that is death so what did i become ? Or am i immortal
“And you know what's funny its your fault she died. She even said, ‘Kill me now please it would be better than this please just kill me now’ and you after all she did for you . You killed her isn't that funny??!?!?!?” But i am not dead.
“ No!!! What have i done?!?!? Please let me go with her please it would be the best thing to do.”
“Yessssssssssssssss it would be an honor to kill the son of a God. I've heard dying hurts but of course i would not know” No i can not let this happen i won't let him kill Ares. I need to wake up wake up wake up wake up..........
“No” the single word escaped my lips causing quite a reaction.
“NOOOOOOOO how can you be alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
“Are you okay. Imsosorryhowcanibelivethatyoutriedtokillme-...”
“Shhh. its okay i forgive you i could never stay mad at you.” We were so close to each other i was able to count his eyelashes. Then i felt his lips softly press against mine. All i could think of was sheer bliss. Then my thoughts got interrupted by an ear piercing scream. We automatically pulled apart and standing before me i saw Zeus and Hera.
“How could this happen!?!?!? Him a God with Deaths daughter!!! This is an insult.” I was still startled and to hear this coming from Zuses own mouth.
“Don’t, at least help them they have been through so much. Being stabbed in the heart is not all fun and games you know.” As Hera said this she kneeled down to help me with my injuries.

Then i felt able to talk again and asked her, “How did you Death was my dad ?”

“Oh its because ‘Death’ you may call him is my brother Hades”

“What?!?!?”

I was able to hear my voice mix in with Ares’s . I wonder if they are going to take Ares to the hall of Olympians ? If they did that would stink.

“So you are actually Ares’s parents?”

“ Of course. Who did you think we were.”

“WHAT HAPPENED YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO KILL HER!!!!!!!!!!!! SHE WAS WITH YOUR SON!!!!!!”

“Dear brother when will you understand love is more powerful than that.”
Then I turned around to look at Ares, he had the same look of disbelief in his eyes as i did. His parents did not care at least his mom did not. But what about his dad ?
“Excuse me the incredible god Zeus[As i say this i get on my knees and bow before him.] i know that i am not of high royalty to be with your son so i ask for your permission to be with him.” Then i see everyone stare at me and Zeus wondering what he is going to say. The feel of electricity in the air.

“Get off your knees, if getting killed by your own father and believing the one that you love hates the very thought of you alive... doesn't count for anything i would have killed you. You showed courage that is something very little men can show but to see this trait in a woman is pure gold. I grant you permission you are over worthy of him.” Then without thinking i went and literally fell into Ares’s arms in a great hug. Finally we are safe. We can no longer be hurt. I know i love you to. I can hear you talk in my head! Me too what do you think happened. I don't kn-.

“Ahhh” the scream sounded as if my flesh had been stripped off my back.But it wasn't me who screamed in was Ares.The it felt as if my whole body were on fire[not the good way either.] I looked down and flinched, i saw literally thousands of tiny arrows tipped in flames shot into me. Then it seemed the pain began to multiply more and more. Hurts like hell. Hey thats funny because i'm Hells daughter. then it was as if i felt all the pain of everyone on the world inside my body. I was getting drowned in sorrows and pain pure white pain.

“stop please. .” it began to feel as if i was drowning then somewhere in the distance i heard a yell of hate and pain. Wow thats all there is in this world huh. Just pain and hatred we are all evil for not doing anything about it . Well if i am going to die i am going to help cure some of this pain. Then i had wings i was flying i heard gasps and swearing from below but that didn't matter now. Then it felt as if i as if i was grabbing all the pain in the world and getting the sorrows from people. Then with a release from my arms it was if i let out peace and love to the world. Then i fell my wings were gone. I was able to hear shuffling under me. Someones trying to catch me. Then i was engulfed in darkness, but it was warmth. As soon as i was caught i was put on the ground.

“See young child even evil can become good.” This was the only voice i was able to hear then i blanked out. I felt different even before i awoke, as if my heart felt lighter as light as air. If it were even possible i feel angeletic. As if this is the reward i have gotten for all that i have done to the world. Its funny because when i think of it i am a demon's daughter ...... Wait wasn’t my father an angel who fell from heaven . Maybe that's why he ..................

“Can you wake up? For me please.” I heard this both outside and inside of my mind. At the sound of the voices it felt as if my insides filled with warmth.

“Yes,” that was the only thing i was able to say. My mouth felt too heavy for words.

“Mother, father she is awake now. But be careful she can't talk much.” Wow it seems as if i was missed a lot. Stop being so weird, of course we missed you. Now we can live a peaceful life huh. Of course we can.