Benevolence | Teen Ink

Benevolence

November 11, 2013
By essex17, Michigan City, Indiana
More by this author
essex17, Michigan City, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"She walks in beauty, like the night." "Never hesitate!"


Author's note: As an A.A male I still see problems regarding race against race everyday, and people don't even notice. My goal is to get more people out there to realize that racial discrimination is still happening, and I also want them to be able to connect to something spiritually.

Chapter 1: Contract
Nathan

When I looked in my reflection what I saw was a very tired man. A man that was worn down by life. A man that I could not seem to find purpose in his seemingly long life. He wondered why he still breathed breath, and he doubted that his breathing would mean anything to anyone else. It was because of this that the man ended up in a dark room turning a revolver over and over in his hands. He had silently came to a conclusion that he would play Russian Roulette to see how fate would determine his worth.

His life flashed before his eyes as he put the revolver to his head. He closed his eyes and slowly counted to three while working up the courage to actually pull the
trigger. Click. He opened his eyes. Fortunately, he was able to dodge the first bullet,
but he had two to go. He began to sweat just thinking about it, yet he didn't want to give up on something he decided for himself. He knew he would have a nervous break down
if he didn't finish this up soon though. In a quick, risky reaction to this thought he pulled the trigger again, and fortunately for him there was another loud click. By this time the man felt confident that he could escape fate's judgment alive. He was wrong. He was smiling now. Not a smile of happiness and relief, but a smile of madness. A smile that could turn the happiest child to the saddest.

Just when he pulled it a child just so happened to walk in, and he cursed himself for being so careless. It was his last thought. It was filled with sadness and a lack of understanding and purpose. It also held tears, grief, and cold revelations. These can be interpreted as some of the dark manifestations of life, but you must remember where there is dark there is also light. Where there is light there is hope, and good intentions.


Hope is a light manifestation, and can destroy even fear for long periods of time. It is so strong it can out live death. Hope can in some ways be interpreted as the cure for life itself, but what withholds this useful knowledge is the fact that hope is a construct. It can never be seen, heard, felt, tasted, or spoken. Even so it can be expressed through words, and it can be felt in the heart. When I say heart, you must understand that I don't mean the clunk of meat in the left side of your chest. It is in the higher thought processor in the brain. Understand that this story is simply reality. This is real and definite. This is life, or rather this is one out of many perceptions that explains what life
is. Whether it is correct or incorrect is entirely up to you.




Seven Years Later

Melody

My name is Melody Lann. Simply put I do not fit in. That's how it is. I don't
go crazy, have mental problems, or get obsessed with things, but most importantly I never think of ending my own life. Why you ask? It is because seven or eight years ago, I saw another man do it. Even though I am often judged harshly, I'll never in any way use it as an excuse to end my own life. It is not an option. In some ways I think that
being fifteen and already experienced with something traumatic gives me room to think more positively instead of negatively. Life goes by fast for everyone, even me. In school I only see my next assignment, but every high school student has problems. For instance, unlike normal freshmen in high school, I have no friends.

It's nothing new for me. I've always been alone, but I've never understood why. Not knowing was always enough to awaken my curiosity. When I was younger I assumed it was my appearance. After that I assumed it was my hygiene, but after receiving a spanking for overflowing the bathtub with soap, using all of my mothers make up, and cutting my hair short. I decided those had nothing to do with it. I tried everything else and looked for flaws everywhere I could, but there was nothing outwardly wrong. That could only mean one thing, they didn't like the inward me. I
didn't understand how they knew what I was like if they never talked to me? The answer came to me when I was about fifth grade when I first heard the word gossip. From my point of view this is the reason that they never came near me. It was because they themselves had already made an image of what I was really like in their eyes. Back then I thought I struck oil, but little did I know I was still very wrong.

I used to cry on the swing sets everyday because of this cruel isolation, and I was always alone. Every time a new student came I thought of it as a chance to socialize with others. A chance for me to make at least new one friend. At first it would work, and we would play together at recess, but by the end of the day that person would look at me like everyone else did. I gave up on it a little more than halfway through the year, there was no point in always building myself up for a bitter disappointment.

I could never really talk to my family after the suicide. They would only say things that would comfort and calm me as if I would go crazy any minute. The part of that I hated most is the way they would stare at me. Their eyes were so filled with pity that it made me sick. They never look at me in any other way. Not with anger, happiness, or pride. It used to scare me, but now I'm used to it. Everyone was the same in this small town, and they all looked at me in the same way. They always go by what they hear. What they hear to them is what they know, and yes, even if it is a lie. The only things keeping me going are my memories and a single hope. The memories of a sad, misguided man, and a hope that I can finally leave this town. This town that has no love for me.

I have around three and a half years to go before it's over. Before I can finally be free of their empty stares. I can go to place where people can truly see me and respect me as I truly am. Just the thought of it would make me smile.
.
.
.

I try not to daydream in class because everyone seems to notice every time I
smile. I don't mean to sound like a cry for help or anything, but every time they do notice bad things happen. I used to think that nobody knew that I knew that everything they did was on purpose. I'm starting to believe they did though..

One day when I was daydreaming of a live concert in New York things got really bad. I've always adored the place, and I've always dreamed of going to see my favorite band there. It was on my bucket list to do so before I died. Anyway, at the time I was tapping my shoe with my eyes closed, and listening to one of my favorite songs on my I-pod. I'm sure if people who didn't know me were there, they wouldn't have cared. Though there were people here that did, and they knew that me smiling wasn't “with the flow”. Especially this popular girl in my class. I didn't know her name because all I did in school was work and listen to music, but whenever I saw her she would wink at me. It was like she thought we had a secret understanding. We didn't by the way, but it made me feel as if she understood, so I've never really disliked her, until today.

When she and her girls saw me minding my own business this time, they decided to approach me. When I noticed them it seemed like they had a maddening gleam in their eye. No, I'm not being paranoid.

“Hey, I'm Selena. These are my friends Cassie and Jocelyn. Since you were alone, we were wondering if you wanted to hang out later, and maybe go to a party tonight?” Her smile dropped when I ignored her, and after a moment flared up again. “That is if you aren't too busy.” As I really looked at her, I noticed for the first time that she had a fantastic body. Once again not to brag, but it was not better than mine. She was too skinny. “What's your name?” She asked with a hint of impatience now growing in her voice. As soon as she said it, her friends started giggling and whispering to each other. What they didn't count on me knowing is that they were trying to bully me. Who
just comes up to somebody in the middle of the school year, and all of a sudden wants to
be friends? Nobody, so I ignored them again. No hard feelings though. I just have no time for distractions.

“Why is she just ignoring us?” Cassie asked Jocelyn and Selena her voice getting louder every word.

“No idea,” answered Jocelyn in an annoying barbie voice. Then out of nowhere she grabbed my hair, and started pulling me out of my chair. Where was the teacher when you needed him? I looked around, not here. I tried to get up, but she grabbed me again and this time I got mad, mushed her in the face, and got myself together as she fell back onto her friends.

“What are you trying to do?” I yelled. Before she could shoot back a rude retort the teacher finally decided to come back to the classroom. He marched right up to the referral sheets on his desk.

“Now Miss Lann, What did you think you were doing?” I was dumbstruck.

“She was the one who started pulling my hair, and knocking me out of my
seat!” He handed me the sheet, and get this, it was already filled out!

“You were the one I saw! Now go to the office to sign out, and don't come back. I'll make sure you're suspended for two weeks.” I was about to complain more, but he already had a phone in hand just in case he had to call security. I sighed, and grabbed my things before stomped out of the classroom barely suppressing tears. I heard them laughing when the door slammed. That's when the tears started to fall. These sort of things always happened. I couldn't even do my work without trouble paying me a visit. I didn't go to the principle office to sign out. There would be no point in having them laugh at me too, so I just went straight home. I ran right up the stairs to my room slamming and locking the door so nobody could bother me. I put my headphones in so
that I wouldn't hear the sound of my mother banging on the door. The only thing that would bring me out was a visit from my dad, who divorced my mom shortly after the incident. I wanted to live with him, but he was too busy to deal with me. At least that's what my mom said. I really don't want to believe it though.

I wanted to believe that he was the kind of dad who crossed the galaxies fighting predators and aliens, but never forgot to come back to earth once every month to visit his precious daughter. He used to tell me all about all of the adventures he went on while he was away. Back when I was small enough to believe it, and I never suspected that he was making excuses for why he was gone all the time. Crap. I stopped to look at my phone. My batter was dead.

“Honey what is wrong with you.?” There was a slight pause because my mother expected me to answer. “Melody Mae Lann,you better come out here and tell me what is going on right now. I am not playing with you girl!” I could hear the fight in her voice, and I didn't want to strain her.

“One of my teachers is going to call you later,”was all I could get out. Then my door opened and my mother was staring at me with a look of anger and confusion on her face.

“Girl, what are you talking about?” I looked at the door.

“It was locked.” I said trying to wipe away tears.

“Now it's picked.” She said holding up a small black pin. “Now Melody what is the matter with you? Why are you home so early?” I was silent for a moment because I didn't know how to respond without getting yelled at.

“Girl if you don't tell me what happened at that school, I'm whoopin' you all the way white.” I'm mixed by the way. I winced at her words, and started to put some of mine together so I could say them.

“Some girls in my class were picking with me again. Then one of them attacked me, so I defended myself mama, but the teacher came in and sent me out like it was just me who was causing trouble. He let the others off like they didn't do a thing.”
Tears started pouring down my face, and I was trying to wipe them away so my mother wouldn't see. It was a very futile effort since she was already in the room though, and it was okay because all of a sudden her arms were around me, and she was comforting me.

“Don't worry baby we're going to do something about this. Just bare with me, it's gonna be alright.” I didn't want to, if I was going to get bullied I wanted to go to
a normal school. That way there would be at least be people who understood me, and the teachers would be on my side. It wasn't meant to be like that though because I was always a smart girl. Much more capable of learning then the rest of my family. Because of this I was encouraged and encouraged to be someone, and now here I am.

“Mom why can't I just go to a public school, and join the Honor's Society? If I do that I can get the highest score in the school, and after I graduate get into any college I want.” She pulled back so fast that I flinched in her arms. For a second it looked like she was going to hit me, but she just smiled and gave me that look she gave when she wasn't giving up on something.

“Baby I've already explained this to you. You are the only one in this family that can be somebody, and you can only do it if you go to a one of the best white schools. God has giving you a-.”

“Golden opportunity, and on my mother's grave he won't let it go to waste.” I finished for her unenthusiastically. She gave me a sour look, and I shrunk back
apologetically. I didn't want to hurt her feelings, and I didn't want her to hurt me either.
My head drooped, and she picked it back up by the chin. “You've have to trust me honey. I know what I'm doing. this is the only way you'll graduate without any mess
goin' on with boys, and your so called friends.”

Friends? My mom always thought that if I got around people of my own race I'd get dumb like she claimed they were. I always see them and I've had a lot of boys attempt to approach me, but I've always kept my distance like I'd been told to. It didn't really bother me to do it because some of them really seemed like trouble, and in my opinion I needed a friend before I even trying to fin love. My mom had already stood up, and I started trying to fix myself up as well.

“I'll call the principle and get this straightened out later. Melody, you go get yourself together, and get ready for school tomorrow.” Before I could say anything else she was gone, and once again all I could do was what she said.




Achilles

A skinny black kid with a small faded Afro, and thick rimmed glasses running down the hallway is what you see when you see me for the first time. The only
thing I think I have going for me is my height, and my smarts. That is why I'm here. I don't want to be something with just my build though, I want to do something with my own head. My mom thinks I'm just like all the other boys though, and that I'm only after one thing. Truth is I do feel normal urges, but I've made it this far. I don't want anything to do with any type of girl right now. I just want to get all A's and go to Harvard
college when I graduate.

Everyone knows that Hill Private School used to be a KKK conference building, but everyone also knows that graduating from here could easily get you into
Yale or Harvard. I'm the only black here, and I suppose I can handle words. That's what I thought until someone a certain pushed passed me. Normally I would have thought nothing of it, but the girl was crying. Not only that, but she looked like a french doll. She was by far the best looking person I've ever seen. She had frizzly, black hair that defined her light colored face. To top it off she had rose colored cheeks. Why was someone like her going to a school like this?

I shook my head. now wasn't the time to be acting like someone with love on their brain. I had something to accomplish here. I speed walked to my new class and
as I walked in I noticed that it was filled with smiling faces. As soon as they saw me come inside they all stopped and stared at me. The teacher even stared for a while, but I was prepared for this.

“My name is Achilles Brown. I'm a new student that will be working with you from now on.” There was silence as I walked to an empty seat near the back, and opened up my math notes like nothing was happening. The teacher continued teaching as if I had never entered the room, and that was fine with me as long as I made the
grade. All of my other schools have said that I am always working at a level that often exceeded my grade, and going to a racist school wasn't going to change anything. As he handed us our assignments my predictions were proven correct. I did it without a single strain. Everyone in class had homework except me. Perfect. At least it was until lunch time. This was always the worst time in school for me. I had all the smarts, but socially I would become somewhat deranged here. At least in the last school I was in I could sit with smart people like me who awed the make-up of the Pythagorean Theorem. I got chills just thinking of it. I found myself looking for the geekiest hang-out I could find, and when I found it I walked toward with a skip in my step.

“Hello there, I'm a new student here and I was wondering if you would like
to reminisce over the wonders of math, chess, and...oh comic books.” Being as naïve as I was at the moment, they could have easily humiliated me. I was getting ready to pull out my comic books, and while I was looking through my bag I saw a suspicious look on one of their faces. He had thick-rimmed glasses, and slicked back hair. He also had freckles and a small frame. His face, at first, turned upward into what seemed like a
smile, but then when his eye caught something behind me it became a small frown.

“Sorry you can't sit over here.” I frowned offended by his statement.

“Well why not?” I asked in an annoyed tone, maybe even too annoyed for me. He nodded to the left, and when I looked he snuck a note in my hand. What I saw raised my interest way more than what he put in my hand. There was a group of burly Caucasian kids glaring in our direction. It was as if they were ready to have a go at any moment. Would kids at this caliber of school really resort to bullying? How atrocious, but I was neither worried nor weary. I always had a way of dealing with bullies. I looked into the boys eyes and it looked like we had come to an understanding. A very savage one, but it would amuse me.

“Well then you could never be any friend of mine.” I said trying to make it look like we wouldn't be friends. “Good day to you sir, and good riddance!” Laughter
erupted around the cafeteria, and I wanted to laugh along because they had no idea what was going to happen. Not the faintest.
.
.
.

It wasn't until later on that night that I had the nerve to read the letter that the gentleman from earlier had had prepared for me. This is how it read:


Dear Achilles Brown,





Our humblest apology for what happened in the commons, but you must understand with how kids are here we must be very cautious. If we are to reconcile with
each other it must be in secret because we have reputations to uphold here. This is a
dangerous town filled with with even more dangerous people. Trust me when I say that you don't want that problem on your golden palate. Though I have a plan that I wish to discuss with you. You seem like a very intelligent man, and so I thought you would want in. If you do meet us in the chess room before school the next morning. We have something deliciously made especially for those giant brutes.


Once again with my humblest apologies,
Jack Smith



I couldn't help but admire how much information he got just by looking at me for the first time. I'll definitely be meeting him the next morning. After that I took out my books and started studying subjects that I wouldn't need until college. There was no dinner. There was no warm welcome home for me because I lived alone. It wasn't so bad, but it sure was lonely. I really miss the afternoon chats I had with my parents, but
they were back home in Manchester. I shook my head; this was no time to be thinking like a child. I finished my studying, and immediately went to bed so I could get up for my morning jog.

The next day I was ready for the fun that the Chess Club and I would be having. I was thinking so well on it that I skipped breakfast, and now the time was finally here. I walked through the common's and ignored the looks I was getting along with the rumors I was starting. Until I finally came to the place I was looking for. The chess room, but when I stepped inside the lights were off. My mistake was turning them
on. I'd seen this in the movies over a thousand times, and thank goodness my reflexes were still good from my basketball club. I jumped back and a bucket of something with a fowl smell fell on the ground where I stood. I wasn't surprised that they would so something like this, but I was very disappointed. I had hoped I would find someone I could call “friend”.

I turned and began to walk away. I was foolish to think I could trust someone like me in a school like this. I heard footsteps behind me and next thing I knew I was tackled to the ground. Something hard hit me in the back of my head, and I threw whatever did it off of me. I found myself face to face with Jack Smith.

“No matter how smart you are and how well you clean up, you'll never be anything but a monkey.” I calmed myself and took a deep breath. Then I looked at him
and smiled.

“It seems that you have quite a horrid opinion of me sir. Now you have a good day.” Getting the satisfaction from his confused look, I walked away. I was glad no one was there early enough to see it, once again I was wrong. There was that girl again. Standing right in front of me not saying anything. She never made a noise getting here. I was beginning to think she was a hallucination created by my own mind. Only one way to find out.

“Hello I'm Ach-,” She stepped back, and started to turn away, but I was too
fast.

“Wait a minute. I just meant to talk to you.” She looked up at me. No, she looked into my very soul, at least that's how it seemed at the moment.

“You talk funny.” She said in a very quiet voice. I laughed at her retort.

“Well of course I would talk like this, but you wouldn't know. I'm from Britain.” I held out my hand to her. “My name is Achilles Brown. It is a pleasure to meet
you.” She looked at me for a minute, probably trying to determine my character from my appearance. Then she smiled and shook my hand. I swear it made my day.

“I'm Melody Lann.” Then she looked at me suspiciously before speaking again. “Have you ever heard of me?” I was confused by her question. How could I have known her name when I've never even seen her face before. So I shook my head.

“I've never seen you before in my life, but due to the circumstances that I'm sure you know we are in. I'd like to keep your company.” She let go of my hand and I felt stupid for not noticing I was still holding it. For the first time in my life I felt stupid.

“Sure, the people around here are...messed up.” Her voice had something sad and pitiful in it, and for some reason I wanted to fix her mood. I had to make her feel better, even if only a little.

“Well you won't have to worry about them anymore. I'd fancy being your friend until I leave this barbaric town.” She giggled, looked at me questionably.

“Why did you come here in the first place if you knew what type of
people they were?” She asked a little more genuinely.

“I wanted to come to an American high school to see how the schools really worked here, and this is one of the best in the country. If I graduate from here with perfect marks, I can go to any college I want.” She laughed and turned to face me in front of a classroom.

“That's what I was thinking too, but I was thinking of leaving because it's lonely here and all. Not to mention that other students try to start trouble whenever they can.” It was so relieving to finally be conversing with someone that had almost forgotten that class was about to start, but when the bell rang I didn't leave her immediately.

“Can I walk you to class? I don't mean to get in your way or anything, but I
really-” She put her finger to her lip quieting me instantly, and nodded toward the
direction of what was probably her first class.

“What class do you have first? She asked. I had to rack my brain for the most simple answer. I couldn't believe how easily she was affecting me.

“I have Honors Algebra first. What about you?” She smiled in a way that made me know. “Same class huh?” I said smiling more to myself than to her. She nodded and we just walked in silence until we reached the classroom. It wasn't an awkward silence, but the type of silence you have when you know that someone is by your side. Even though we didn't know the first thing about each other, I'm sure we both felt that way. It was good fine until we walked into the classroom. When we walked in it was as we expected. No one said good morning, not even the teacher. It is common courtesy whether someone wants you to or not to say it where I come from so I said.

“Good morning.” I said to the teacher putting an apple on his desk. When he didn't respond I nodded toward my classmates who didn't even look up. Then I took my seat near the back, and watched as Melody took hers in the back near the window. Then, as he was supposed to, the teacher started teaching.

“Okay class take out your homework from yesterday, and turn your books to page 251. I know that you-” He stopped abruptly and his eyes went to Melody. “What
are you doing here? You were supposed to be suspended.” She pulled out a piece of paper and showed it to him. He examined it for what seemed like several minutes and looked up at her.

“My mother called the principle and explained how it was all a misunderstanding, so I won't be suspended after all.” Then without waiting for a response she pulled out her homework, and put in white headphones. I wondered what that was all about. The teacher stared at her a long moment before continuing his
teaching with the rest of the class. Unfortunately, not everyone in the class were
giving him their undivided attention. There were very curious females staring toward the back, and not at Melody as I first thought they were. They were looking at me. I looked away. I may not have much experience with girls, but I knew in my heart that I shouldn't get involved with them.

I wrote a note, and while the teacher wasn't looking threw it at Melody. It hit her right in the middle of her forehead. At first it looked like she was about to be very angry, but when she saw me pointing at it her cheeks instantly flushed. What I put was an arrow pointing toward the girls, and a question.

“You know them don't you?” It wasn't really so much of a question, but a check for confirmation. I was already around eighty five percent sure that she did. She wrote back and quietly handed me back the note. It was a rough sketch of them with
pointy hats and rooms, and small sentences at the bottom.

“There dangerous, manipulative people. I would stay away they already almost got me suspended yesterday. The teacher even helped out.” A vital piece of
information already received. I won't be able to take risks in classrooms because teachers are all brutes as well. I wrote my number on the paper so we wouldn't have to keep passing the notes back and forth. I was sure some of the kids were starting to notice, and I was betting that anyone would snitch. When she got the message she began to blush again and then nodded and my direction. It was embarrassing to me to because she wouldn't look me in the eye. I turned away and pretended to be focused on my
notes. Then I felt the piece of paper hit me on the neck again. I was happy, but to be honest I was getting tired of it. I opened it and found a big smiley face in the middle of the page. That made my eye twitch. What did she think this was? I skipped to the message below.

“Here's mine you can call me later. I don't really like to text.” After I read it
I put it in my pocket and did the homework that I knew the teacher was going to give us tonight. Then I thought about it, and decided to do tomorrow's homework as well. No reason not to do it. After Algebra the next few classes were as expected. Easy and very dull. I couldn't wait to see Melody again at lunch time and when the time came my heart
was almost in my throat, but when I saw her it was not as expected. The same girls that
were in class looking at me earlier were around her. The girls had weird looking smiles on their faces, but no one looked happy. Melody really didn't, and an anger that I've never felt started to boil inside me. As I got closer I started listening to what they were saying.

“If you think I can't have him you can drop.” It seemed like Melody was shaking. One of the other girls spoke up.

“I call him next.” Then she looked at the girl next to her. “Maybe we could all do it together.” Then they all burst out laughing. I stopped in mid-stride. There was no way I'd do any of that to any girl. I had to tell her the truth, but I had to do it in a intelligent way. So I walked up to them with the brightest of smiles on my face.

“Hello, I didn't know Melody had other friends she hung out with here. Pleasure to meet you. My name's Achilles.” My introduction left smiles on all of their faces, so I couldn't have been doing too bad. Melody was glaring holes into me, but I mouthed the words “trust me” to her and continued with our conversation.

“Nice to meet you Achilles.” Said the blonde girl who was most likely the leader of the trio. “Actually we were all just talking about you!” She flipped her hair as if she was starting to get into our conversation.

“Really? About me?” I asked pretending to be amused. What were you saying?” They all stood up and surrounded me. Now that wasn't part of the plan.

“We can show you better than we can tell you,” she whispered in my ear. I
shivered. These were exactly the type of girls I didn't want to get involved with, but luckily we had a very curious audience enjoying what I'm sure they'd call real life entertainment.

“Selena are you really talking to this trash? Why don't you come, and hang with us for lunchtime?” I turned to see one of the big brutes from yesterday striding toward us. While everyone's attention was on them, I grabbed Melody's hand and ran through the crowd that had formed as fast as I could.
Melody


We ran outside of the commons, and then up two flights of stairs before Achilles finally decided to stop. It took me two full minutes to get breathe back in my lungs. I had never ran so fast in my life, but when I looked at Achilles I saw that he hadn't even broken a sweat. His breathing was completely normal.

“You must be very athletic.” I said as my breathing started to go back to normal. “Were you in any sports where you came from?” The look on his face said that he was shocked that I would ask something so random. I could hardly blame him, but that was just the way I was.

“Yes,” he answered with a small smile. “I was in the basketball club. We won the championship game last year when I was in eighth grade. It seems like a lot of time has passed now that I'm here though.” He was quiet for a minute, probably looking for something to say. I started to get annoyed. Wasn't he going to ask if I did anything.

“You're horrible, when someone asks you something you're supposed ask
them the same thing back.” He leaned against a wall, and laughed.

“There's no way you played a sport if you can't run up a few stairs without dying.” I punched him on his arm.

“Of course I was in a sport. I played volleyball for two years in middle school. We didn't win a trophy, but we still were pretty much undefeated.” We looked at each other for a moment, and then we both burst out laughing. I don't think I've ever had such a fun conversation with someone before. He noticed me staring.

“Is something wrong Melody?” I smiled and turned away from him.

“No, everything's fine right now.” I could feel him looking at me strangely, but I didn't mind. Then everything got quiet again. It was starting to get awkward before Achilles said something.

“It's almost time for class to start up again so we'd better get going.” I frowned at him; then nodded and turned to walk away.

He won't talk to me again because everything's already awkward even
though we've only known each other for a day, but just before I walked into class I felt someone touch my shoulder. I turned to find a nervous Achilles staring down at me.

“We didn't get to eat lunch today, so if you don't mind I'll treat you to something this weekend to make up for it. I mean if it's okay with you.” My heart beat began to speed up again as if I was running. I could have sworn he didn't want to talk to me anymore, but now he was asking me on a date? I really didn't get this guy, but I was free this weekend. If it was with him, I think I could even have a little fun.

He was on my mind for the rest of that day, and because of that I couldn't focus on my work one bit. I was in such a good mood that I didn't even notice all the stares I was getting. Even though no one did anything today I was sure something was going to happen. I got on the phone with Achilles and told him how people were staring
at school today. We discussed it over and over until we were both tired of it. I was about
to call it a day, but Achilles had something else that he had to ask me.

“I've seen a beautiful meadow not too far from where the school is. I bet the view is absolutely amazing right now. Would you like to go see?”

“Do you mean right now?” I could hear him giggling even though he must have been trying to hide the fact the was from me. It sounded faint.

“Yes, of course right now silly girl.” I laughed out loud. His accent was so funny. I had almost laughed my heart out when I heard it when we met this morning. It
took all of my will power not to laugh at it. That thought made it so much easier for me to say yes to him.

“I don't mind going out. Let's meet there then.” I could feel the excitement in his next breath.

“Okay cool. I'll be there in a few minutes, so don't be late.” Before I could respond he hung up. This guy was just like a kid. I thought that statement over, and then remembered that we were both kids. How had I forgotten
.
.
.

The moon seemed so big to me. I could hardly ride my bike straight because I couldn't stop staring at it. Achilles was probably right. I had been to that meadow several times, and on a night like this it might just be as beautiful as he said. I was there in five minutes, and for some reason expected no one to be there when I arrived. I must have been thinking on it way too much because there was one figure standing behind a tree looking at the most beautiful view I had ever seen.

“Achilles!” I yelled, and the figure almost fell over with surprise. I held in barely suppressed laughter.

“What do you mean to do with that frightening yell of yours? Give m
heart attack?” I laughed.

“No, I was just wanted to see what you're like when you're scared.” He
leaned against the tree, still not convinced.

“Why would you want to bloody see something like that?” He asked pretending to be upset. I could tell because there was a smile he kept trying to keep off of his lips. Instead of answering, I grabbed his hand and made him take a seat next to me. I wanted take in the view with him before we started talking. I don't know what I was trying to accomplish, but it worked. I'm sure it did. We were left in awed silence when we saw all the stars, the moon, and how big everything looked. I almost wished that it could stay like this forever. It was so beautiful.

“It's so beautiful.” I whispered. I felt Achilles nod rather than seeing it.

“Who would have thought that America would have such a treasure as this. No wonder everyone else wants to come here.” I nodded not really listening, but he still had more to say. “Let's make a contract.” He said with a faraway look in his eye.

“What did you say?” I asked thinking that I misheard him. He gave me a poker face.

“Come on. A contract for just the two of us. You have my back and I'll have yours. One of us fails, then they'll owe the other one a favor.” I was confused.

“Why do we have do something like that? Stuff like that should go without saying right?” I turned to face him, and his face was dangerously close to mine.

“What's the fun in that Melody? It'd be better if we added a bit of adventure
in it. Trust me, you'd love it.” Before I could answer he stood up, and reached for my hand. “Will you?” I blushed and gave my hand to him so I wouldn't have to say anything. He helped me up, and began to speak while still holding my hand. “I Achilles Brown solemnly swear to always take care of Melody Lann. Even in my death, no
harm will come to her!” I pulled his arm.

“Stop it! What if someone hears us?” He pulled me a little closer, and whispered in my ear.

“No one will hear us, but the stars and God himself. Just trust me.” He looked up at the sky again. “They said it's your turn now?” I scoffed.

“Are you crazy? I'm not going to yell like that!” I whispered frantically. He pushed me forward.

“Your audience is waiting. Just go with it.” I stuck my tongue out at him before I actually did it.

“I Melody Lann do solemnly swear to always take care of Achilles Brown!” Even in my death, no harm will come to him!” I turned around and Achilles was on the ground laughing his butt off. He was such a jerk. I jumped on him and started hitting him on his chest as hard as I could. I could feel the breath leave his body as I was punching him.

“Melody stop. It was just a- ow! Okay, okay I'm sorry, I get it. It wasn't
funny.” I stopped and rolled off of him suddenly exhausted, and very embarrassed because of what I had just done.

“You should have never laughed.” I said seriously, but he still just laughed.

“You are one of a kind Melody. I don't think I've ever gotten so beaten up in my life.”

“Good because you deserved it.” I said in cocky voice, and then we both laughed. We didn't stay long after that because we were both got so tired from how peaceful it was we almost fell asleep. It was the longest ride home because we kept latching on to whatever conversation we could get into before we had to go our separate ways. Then finally we had to say our farewells for the night. After I sneaked back into
bed I had some of the best sleep I think I'd ever had.
.
.
.

We managed to keep everything together for the rest of the week. Avoiding trouble about as often as we could. There were a couple close calls, but we managed to get to Saturday. I had told my mom that I was going somewhere with a friend, but I didn't tell her that it was a black guy I was with. It wasn't like I was really lying because technically he was British.

“Be careful Melody Mae. As soon as you see trouble you run. You hear me?” I smiled barely listening.

“Yes mama, I know. I won't be dumb enough to fall into any trouble.” She kissed me on the forehead.

“That's my girl. Now you run along, and have you a good time.” I nodded and said goodbye before I closed the door behind me.

.
.
.

Achilles

I met Melody at a nearby McDonald’s I think it was? She said she didn't want me to spend to much money on the first hour or two and I tried to assure her it was fine but she wasn't having it. This is what I liked about her, she was so down to earth with like everything.

“Fine then, suit yourself. We'll eat here then. Order whatever you want.” I said as we got into the front of the line. She pushed me.

“Don't say it like that. Be more enthusiastic.” I looked her in the eye.

“What's so enthusiastic about waiting in line for fast food.” Her smile disappeared, and then we both laughed. We ate there for about forty five minutes ignoring all of the suspicious stares we were getting. After that, we went to see one of
the scariest movies I had ever seen. I think it was called The Conjuring. We wouldn't have gotten in if it wasn't for my height, and it was because of that movie that I started hating it. Melody on the other hand wasn't scared at all. I was almost envious. She looked so cool during the movie, but I would never actually tell her this. When it was late evening we were still smiling from the great time we had. Well at least she was. I was still scared breathless.

Melody stopped and sat on a nearby bench while I went to get ice cream cones after the movie. When I came back, she was knocked out. I couldn't believe how relaxed she could be in a town like this.

Instead of waking her up, I decided to let her rest. I put her head on my lap while I started on my ice cream cone. It took her about ten minutes to wake up. When she came to her expression was fearful, but but when she saw that it was me she relaxed.

“How long have I been asleep?” She asked rubbing her eyes.

“Three years have passed since you fell asleep. Ever since then, monsters and aliens have been terrorizing Earth. Our only hope of stopping them was waking you up.” She sat up and looked around.

“Where are they at?” I got closer to her, and looked her in the eyes with a very serious expression on my face.

“They're right behind-” She mushed me in the face before I could get the
last word out.

“You're such a kid.”

“You're a kid too though. That means we have some things in common.” She stood up, and stretched herself out before checking her phone.

“Oh my gosh, I have to go. My Mom's going to kill me.” I looked at the time. It was already eight O'clock. Not to mention it was starting to get dark and cold. “Do you want to meet tomorrow Achilles.” I looked at her, and she smiled sweetly at me. “I really enjoyed today, and it'd be nice if we could go out again.” It was a beautiful thought.

“Sorry, I can't. I have church tomorrow. My parents are very devoted
Christians, and I can never go anywhere on Sunday.” Her face lit up.

“Actually that's great. I actually enjoy church as well. I can't go one day without my mom reciting a verse from the Bible.” I found that funny. We were alike after all.

“It's the same way with my father. He carries a Bible with him wherever he goes.” She laughed out loud.

“I could imagine an older version of you doing that, looking all uptight. I'm Achilles Brown, and I'm a follower of the Lord.” She said in a deep voice. We both started laughing at the same time again. When we came to her house, we took our time saying goodbye to each other. It was like a dream come true for me. I was actually standing in front of this girl. I was just coming home from my first date.

“I had a really great time today Melody. Thanks for coming out with me; if it weren't for you I'd probably have been inside all day studying or something.” She smiled.

“I don't doubt it. I had a great time too.” Before she could finish there was the sound of someone getting ready to come toward the door. “You have to get out of here before my mom sees you.” She didn't have to tell me twice.

“I'll call you tomorrow, and I'll see you Monday okay.” She nodded quickly,
and waved softly before I left. What we didn't know was that after that Monday nothing would be the same.

Chapter 2: Violation
Melody
Short Act

I should have eaten outside or went to a restaurant but I had to stay here. To top it off I couldn't find Achilles anywhere, and he promised he'd sit with me today. Though here I was being surrounded by Selena and the gang again. I sighed. I wasn't about to take their bad mouthing anymore. I tried to cover my ears but they just pulled
my hands away and whispered worse things than they were already whispering. I pushed them away and ran out of the cafeteria. I saw them push past people to get to me, so I ran even faster to get away from them. I wasn't thinking at all. I just ran. I kept running until I was on the roof and the wind blew through my hair. I never noticed it until that moment, but I had never seen the sun look so big. It was a beautiful view, and I couldn't keep my eyes off of it. I didn't notice the sound of footsteps that were coming
toward me.

“Melody look out!” said a voice that I now hardly recognized. I didn't have
time to turn around. The next thing I knew I was falling and the only thing that came to mind was how peaceful it was. Then there was numbness and darkness.
.
.
.

Achilles

They killed her. They took her life. She had gone to the other side. No matter how many times I phrased it I just couldn't get it right. It was all so painful and so mind blowing. Time flew by so fast after that, and I could never really take anything in. It was on the news and then there was a very quiet funeral, and then there was a trial. A trial I was on. There were questions were as easy as any school problem, but I didn't answer any of them.

“You know you are accused of murdering fifteen year old Melody Lann and if you don't say something you will be tried as an adult.” It was my lawyer. My parents were sitting next to him with worrying looks on there faces. There was a mirror to the left so I looked into it. I didn't recognize the person I saw looking at me at all. His eyes
were blood-shot, his clothes were wrinkled, and his hair needed a proper cutting. I tried
to get words about, but it was hard. I felt like I hadn't spoken in months.

“I didn't do it. There were girls and boys there. They pushed her around a lot and all she wanted was to be left alone, but they didn't leave her alone. They wouldn't stop.” When I finished I put my head back while I built a wall of peace with their silence. All I heard was the sound of my mother crying, and the comforting words of my father.

“If the boy says this on trial we might be able to do something with it, and
if all else fails we can just get another trial. Now that you've given us your word, things are looking up. Our next meeting will be held Monday at seven P.M. . I look forward to seeing you then.” My parents stood up so I did as well, and for the first time in months I was actually with them. When we got into the my dad's car he was the first to start
conversation, and as expected it started off awkward. Very awkward.

“So son, you finally spoke up today, but you've been mute for two whole months? Anything you want to say about that old chap?” My mom bumped him on the shoulder and he immediately started murmuring about how I had to be a man. It was all so familiar that I started laughing and that shocked them more than anything.

“Mom, dad I'm fine now. I guess I just needed time to get over what happened, and I'm sorry for worrying the both of you. I can't explain it but I've never felt like that about anyone. It all happened so quickly,” I said looking down at my lap. “And I'd just met her.” I shook my head because I didn't get how she could die like that. What
did she do to deserve that fate? My mom and dad exchanged worried glances at each other. They knew that I would probably have a better chance of recover from this if we won the trial. If it was done correctly. If the people in the courtroom saw sense.
.
.
.

That Monday when we got in touch with the lawyer we knew we had a lot of work to do. He explained how everyone actually thought that I was the perpetrator in this case. It was absolutely outrageous how they came to such a conclusion. What evidence showed that it was correct? The lawyer also explained that all I had to do was testify the truth with all honesty of what conspired on that fateful day. The rest would be up to the jury. I would have to have my best testimony ready by then, and I will. Melody was going to receive justice, and the brutes who did it were too. Fast forward to the trial. The judge hits his mallet on his desk bringing order to the courtroom.

“We now call Achilles Brown to the stand for testimony.” A random woman
stood out of nowhere.

“He's a murder. Don't believe anything he says, he the one who did it. He's just like the rest of his kind!” Her country accent was so strong it was hard to place the current year in the courtroom. The sudden retort made the judge very angry. You could see the veins popping out of his forehead.

“There will be order in the courtroom! If I hear one more racial slur ever, I
will kick out the jury and decide myself. Do you understand me?” No one said anything, but you could feel their intense animosity in the atmosphere. It gave me goosebumps. I walked proudly to the police officers to make my vows. Once I was finished I went over my testimony and stared at the murderous prosecutors that wouldn't look me in the eye. I sat down and awaited the questioning. The first up was the prosecutor. I thought I could fend him off quite well. I had practiced after all.

“Achilles Brown.” Said the prosecutor pacing back and forth from the stand. “It's a nice, strong name for a smart, sensible, intelligent young man.” I began to have the smallest bit of respect for him, but flattery would get him nowhere. Just when that thought entered my mind he stopped pacing. “Though I'm pretty sure you know you don't deserve such a title for what you've done.”

“Objection your honor. He's harassing my client!” The judge was banging his mallet on the stand as he spoke.

“Overruled.” My lawyer looked a taken back.

“But your honor it is within his right as an American-”

“I know I know. If the prosecutor fails to take the boy's rights into account again, his clients will receive a sentence from me.” The prosecutor tried to argue, but the judge was banging his mallet again pushing him to continue with the questions. After
realizing this the prosecutor cleared his throat and approached the stand once more.

“Mr. Brown, tell me where were you when the crime happened?” I saw
where he was going with this. He was trying to put me at the scene of the crime, and I had no choice but to answer truthfully.

“I was there. I watched her get pushed off the cliff, Sir.” He smiled as if this
amused him.

“So you say Mr. Brown, so you say. Next question. Have you ever met or communicated with her before the fall?” I sat uncomfortably in my chair. I hadn't known her for long, and he'll try to connect that fact with the crime. He was good, but I was better.

“We met my first day at the school, and were well on our way to becoming the best of friends.” I said sadly because it hurt to say that about someone that I felt like I'd known all my life instead of a little over a week. “We planned on hanging out that day after school, but then she was murdered.” The prosecutor quickly got in my face looking in my eyes.

“Murdered by who?” I never took his bait. I pointed to the true guilty ones that were on the bench with a look of worry on their face. That was good, maybe they were starting to think about the consequences of their actions.

“She was murdered by every single student sitting at your desk, Sir!” I said
looking directly back into his eyes. He recoiled a bit and once again cleared his throat
like he had been caught off guard. Did he really think I was so stupid as to say it was me.

“No further questions,” he said straightening his glasses and heading back to his seat. Now was the time to be nervous. My own lawyer was coming up to ask me questions. I hoped that I don't stutter or anything like that. He did the same as the
prosecutor did pacing back and forth in front of me.

“Mr. Brown, where did you come from, and how would you
say you're dealings were there?” It was an on point question. There was no way someone of my academic stature would resort to such a mediocre way of savagery.

“Well I come from one of the best junior high schools in Great Britain. I've won many awards based on my academic accomplishments because I was always at the top of my class. I've also already received letters of recommendations from Harvard College that I intend to take up after I have graduated. Because of that I have moved here, Sir. The school I attended is one of the most prestigious schools in the country.” The lawyer winked letting me know that I did a splendid job of telling my back story. I wanted to curl into a ball and die. I was putting on a show for them when I should be focused on bringing Melody justice.

“Next question. What did you and the victim reminisce about when you talked to her.?” That was a hard question because we just talked about a bunch of nonsensical things. We made a lot of jokes, and had a lot of personal moments.

“We were talking about our lives in the future and hour lives in it's current state. We were going to reminisce again that evening before...the murder.” The jury started whispering among themselves right when my last word came out. Did they believe the truth or did they seek to make a lie to condemn me? My lawyer was confused with the sudden outbursts that went on around him, and my parents looked just the same as the clung to each other. Regardless he had to continue, but before he could the judge intervened. He banged his mallet twice, and looked around.

“Silence! There will be silence in the courtroom, or I will have every bloody one of you thrown out.” It got quiet as quickly as it got loud. I would never cease to be amazed by these people.

“Next question Mr. Brown. What were you doing at the scene of the crime?” I hated that I had to remember what I did, or more specifically what I didn't do.

“I was struggling, Sir. There were gentlemen from school who would not see me released, and they forced me to watch as one of the girls pushed-”

“That can't be what happen-” The judge was banging on his mallet in less
than a second.

“What did I say about silence? Get out of here, NOW!” He said pointing to the man who had the outburst. I was sure it was the father of one of the students on trial.
He angrily left the room bumping the security guard on the shoulder. The judge then leaned back in his seat, and fixed his glasses. “Now, will there be anymore interruptions
before we continue?” No one said anything as was expected, and my lawyer's questions continued.

“Mr. Brown, what happened when she was pushed off of the cliff?” He looked at me pointedly with his looks saying that I better do this right. The problem was that I didn't really have that part ready yet. It's still blurred with pain and grief, and fear of a dark future. I could feel my depression starting to kick in and my vision started to waver. There was so much pressure, and for the first time in my life I felt like I couldn't handle it. The last thing I remember thinking was that maybe I shouldn't have came here in the first place. Then a thud as I faded into the darkness.
.
.
.
Lawyer

I can't say that I wasn't surprised that he fell out at that time. His parents told me that he had worked little bit too hard preparing himself for the trial. That he had at least two all night working sessions, and that he hadn't been to school all that week. I tried to contact the dead girl's mother, but for some reason she were impossible to reach.
It seemed like everything was looking for the worst now. I smirked as I drunk coffee beside Achilles on the bed. It was my job to handle the impossible, they had nothing to
fear at all. I made a few calls to some of the lawyers in charge of my firm, and made time for a meeting. This family paid me good money to win this case, and no way was I going to let it go awry. His parents busted in the room like there was a bomb in the building.

“Mr. Lawyer what are we going to do about the trial?” I smiled at them and reassured them that everything was going to be fine, but before I could tell them the plans for next week's trial there was a pain in my heart. Not like a heart burn, but not exactly less painful. A numb feeling started to spread over my body, and before I knew it I was on my knees gasping for air. I knew what was happening, but why was it
happening now? I had to give this kid justice, was my last thought before everything went dark. I could here the screams around me. The desperate voices of the Brown family. They knew that if I was out than they had no one to run to, and if that was the case then they would lose the case.

I looked to the sky and asked God why now? I've been a christian for as long as I could remember. He showed me things, and he's given me things, and of course he's taken things away. Though even as I thought that my Lord showed me the design of the life of the boy on trial. I smiled my last smile for what I had seen, but I also felt a
pang of fear for him because he had a long way to go. He was a prideful young man, and as Paul said in Timothy, pride comes before a fall. Hopefully it won't be too long of a
fall for him. Hopefully he'll follow through like God wants him to. With that my spirit flowed into the light, and I saw a bright place and felt a welcoming presence.
.
.
.
Achilles




I woke in a room filled with light. It was a light so bright and warm I felt I might have died. Did I? I felt a presence behind me and turned to see a girl. A beautiful girl with curly black hair and an angel's smile, and it was because of that that I realized who she was. That and what she was.

“Melody what are you doing here? Am I dead?” She giggled and shook her
head, and held out her hand. I trusted her so I took it, and I know that this sounds crazy but we flew. As soon as we hit the ceiling we were in what looked like space, and it was much more beautiful in person. She started tugging at my sleeve and pointed to what looked like the incarnation of darkness. It was big and menacing and was a manifestation of darkness that I had never seen before. We were being pulled into it and
the closer we got the more screams were audible to us.

“Where are we going? Melody, what is that thing?” I looked at her but her eyes were black, and there was an evil smile on her face. Then she spoke in a shadowy
whisper.

“Great is the fall.” I woke again in a room of loud voices. Before I could even get a word out they took it outside. I was glad of that because my head was pounding and I did not need anymore stress. Stress from what? Than the trial flashed before my eyes in an instant. I had forgotten the nightmare that I just had, but I know that it shook me to the point where my sweat was cold. I shivered and slapped my forehead and breathed in deeply. I had messed up bad. I knew that the lawyer was going
to be peeved at me when I got out of the hospital.

I tried to go to the bathroom but there were cords in my arms that were connected to the medication bags. So I lay there and thought about what my life was coming to. I had lost someone that I barely had, and was accused of her murder. Of course I wouldn't be found guilty if this American justice had any merit. I shook my
head. Maybe if I had never come here this all could have been avoided. Who would've thought that it would have turned out like this. Then my room door opened and my father came through with a suffering look on his face. When he saw me his facial expression changed almost immediately. It was filled with pity, and somehow I find myself despising that stare with all of my heart. Had he actually been through what I've been through? How could you empathize with something you've never even experienced? Though even if I despised his false empathy, he was still my father. I
loved both of my parents with all of my heart.

“Are you okay son?” He asked in a very gravelly voice. It sounded as if he were shouting for the longest, but who could he have been shouting at? Then I
remember the sounds of arguments that I was hearing as I woke up. Could he have been in a quarrel with my mother? They always got along well though. Could this mean that the center of their frustrations come to directly to me? Could I have been causing all of their stress. I silently cursed myself and the day I decided to come here.

“I'm sorry dad.” I said with the threat of tears in my eyes because now it seemed like it was all over. My father pulled me into a bear hug.

“It's alright son. You were never at fault to begin with.” He said that but when he pulled me back there was a grim look on his face. “There's something very
urgent that I need to say to you. Your mother didn't want me to, but I thought it for the best. Our lawyer is dead. He had a heart attack shortly after you fainted in court.” For a
moment I just looked at him, trying to make what he said sink in. The lawyer was dead? That was impossible, he'd been doing this for our family for thirty years, he couldn't be dead. I'd known him since I was a boy. My tears were now falling freely.

“How did this happen? First her and now him.” My father tried to put his hand on my shoulder to comfort me, but I shook it off. This actually surprised both of us
because I have never opposed my father before. What was happening to me? What was
this whole affair turning me into? I scolded myself for thinking this because there was no way someone can go through something as sophisticated, and perfidious as being accused of murder.

“It'll be alright. We just have to think this through because we know you didn't do this.” He walked out of the room tapping a number into his cellular phone.

“I love you too dad.” I whispered to myself after he left. Than I lay in bed for the rest of the day with a lump in my throat. I had a bad feeling in the pit of my
stomach for the rest of that week because maybe I knew deep down that I was going to
be guilty. I turned roughly in my bed for more comfort but found none.
.
.
.

The new judge that was picked for the trial was very calm, and had an easy smile on his face. He appeared to be in his late twenties or very early thirties. The thing that got me was there was no pressure or any sort of readiness on his face. He had the face of dying man at war. Content and at peace as if his war had already been lost. Because of this I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach. His smile belied the malevolent look in his eyes, and being as smart as I was, I already knew what this meant. No matter what proof my new lawyer would lay out on the court, I would still be proven guilty. Though if they thought that I would go out like a pitiful fool, they were wrong. The prosecutor stepped up to his spot looking as full of himself as usual.

“The trial calls Achilles Brown to the stand.” I made sure that there was no surprise on my face as I got up and took my vows of truth. I was led to sit on the stand by an officer, who in know way had the touch of a kind gentlemen. When I sat down I was surprised to find that there were handcuffed being put on my hands as if I were already a convicted criminal.

“What the bloody hell do you think you're doing? Judge this man is apprehending me for no reason! A man must be innocent until proven guilty!” The officer grabbed my Afro and whispered in my ear.

“I don't care how fancy your stinking voice is. Once a n***** always a
n*****.” He clicked them with a clang leaving me to wonder how such a vulgar savage of a man was let to have an important role such as this. I looked at the judge and he was smiling and looking straight ahead as if this didn't just happen. The prosecutor continues
with a careful smile on his chubby, bearded face.

“Achilles Brown, my first question to you is a very simple one. Did you kill
Melody Lann?” The whole of the courtroom looked at me accusingly as if they were already convinced that I committed the murder. They probably were, but I couldn't be certain.

“No I did not, Sir.” I said with a certain confidence about my voice, and he laughed at this as if it were in some way ironic. He stroked his beard and gesticulated his
hands around the room as if he'd let a poison in the air. The man was clearly mad.

“Next question. What exactly happened at the scene of the murder?” I spent a split second thinking of what I said. It felt like it had been years since that happened,
and my sadness was now just a dull ache in my heart.

“I was forced to the roof by vulgar bigots for God Knows what reason, and I saw her there. Her hair was blowing in the wind, and she was probably mesmerized by
the afternoon sun. Then when she stepped closer to the edge one of the girls started walking toward her and I realized, with a sort of horror, what they were going to do. As they made their bloody move I shouted for her to watch out, and at that time they pulled me back.” Around this part of the story I started to get emotional. My voice cracked and my eyes water, but the only sympathy I saw was from my parents.

“Then they did it. They bloody murdered her, and for what? To get the last say or whatever ludicrous, satisfactory feeling that you Americans strive for. Not one person rushed to her aid. I was the only one on her side, and the only one that was her friend there and you still lie as if I'm the one to blame. Is that what you call justice? If it is then why even bother with saying “The land of the free”?” I don't know what came over me, but when it did voices started coming over my head like a shadow. At first I thought that they were rooting for me, but it took getting a shoe thrown at my head to realize that they still wanted to see me convicted.

I knew that they were bad, but to go to this level. It reminded me of a
certain definition that I learned a few years ago. They say reality is not a fact of life, but just endless amounts of perceptions. It had nothing to do with my current situation, but for some reason it popped into my head. Back to the case at hand. They were all out of control, and not even the new judge could quiet them down. The police officers had to physically remove people from the courtroom for the trial to continue. My parents were mortified. They looked as if they were ready to grab me and run at any moment. Good old parents.

“If there is anyone else that has a problem with the defense stating his testimony you may leave now, and if this happens again I will have no choice but to
send him to another court.” Everyone sat down with outrageous movement that you could only expect from children. Maybe even babes. Once the judge was satisfied, he
pointed at the prosecutor signaling for him to continue. Pictures flashed in the courtroom right before he asked his next question.

“Mr. Brown could you rightly identify any of the so called perpetrators at the scene of the crime?” He looked at me with haughty eyes, and I wondered what he was up to.

“Yes of course I can. At a moments notice.” He tapped his fingers on the
stand with pleasure, and I knew I was in some kind of trouble. He hastily went on to the
next question.

“Are any of the perpetrators here in this courtroom, as we speak?” He put his hands behind his back and it seemed like he was holding his breath waiting for me to
answer, so like any other man would have I answered truthfully. I pointed at the girl with the blonde hair, and a few of the jocks that pulled me back. The blonde girl's friends were nowhere to be seen and she looked miserable while the jocks looked at each other excitedly. The lawyer turned around to everyone except Achilles Brown and smiled radiantly.

“I believe this case is done.” Was all he said before giving his explanation. “You see Mr. Brown, there is obviously a large variety of cameras at your private school. Did you know this?”

“Of course I knew this.” I said outraged by his simple question, and scared at the notion he had just made. What did he mean when he said the case was over.

“You see everyone I have just proved Mr. Brown to be a liar. We have footage at the school that proves that they were having lunch when this whole thing conspired.” He pulled out a remote control while a small flat-screen TV was brought in
so that he could show us this so called footage. He made sure that the telly was set so that everyone could see it. This only made me more angry.

“This is outrageous they were all there. There shouldn't need to be any
proof because they even admitted it at the last trial. The prosecutor started to laugh and almost choked to my dissatisfaction.

“Mr. Brown they only said that because they thought they would have been wrongly accused if they had told the truth. Now that that judge is gone they can speak freely.”

“That doesn't make any sense.” I recoiled with something nasty in my voice. He laughed some more and played the tape. The tape was dated the day of the accident and it showed the students here sitting at their table as if it were any other day. Though there was something strange about it. Why is the camera trained on them so perfectly? It was almost as if it were trying to film them. I knew it was fake as soon as I saw it because that wasn't even what they were wearing that day. Then there was the fact that the blonde girl looked about as sad as she did in the courtroom, and she was never like that before Melody was murdered. The courtroom once filled with hushed voices. They were audible but not loud enough for the judge to cause a ruckus.

“What do you have to say to that evidence Mr. Brown?” I looked at my parents who looked at me with hurt in their eyes. I hope they didn't really believe these lies. I hoped.

“I stand by my word. This video isn't even authentic enough to be evidence. That's not even how they were dressed that day, I'm sure the real tapes will show you.”
The prosecutor shook his head and winked at me.

“No further questions your honor.” Then he went and sat down as if there were something graceful about what he had just done. The judge looked at the table
where our new defense attorney sat.

“The defense attorney may now proceed and ask his defendant his
questions.” The attorney stood and looked toward the judge.

“Thank you your honor.” He walked over to where I sat on the stand, and whispered into my ear.

“You don't have to worry. I may not have been as good as the Lawyer, but I won't let you go without a fight.” A silver of hope came to life inside of me. This was my last chance to save myself from this unrighteous injustice.

“Do your job then. This is looking awfully suspicious to everyone in here by now I suppose.” He nodded and cleared his throat ready to ask his first question.

“Mr. Brown, how long ago was it that you moved into this town?” I cleared
my throat as well all ready seeing his strategy.

“A little over two weeks ago sir.” The attorney then nodded as if he was satisfied with that answered.

“Then how long did it take you to be transferred into the school?” I almost smiled. This was a somewhat brilliant man, and this tactic might work. I leaned back in my chair, and pretended to be deep in thought. If they could play dirty so could we.

“I went to the school a week and a day after I moved to America, Sir. I was only there for a week before the murder conspired, and one of those days I spent looking around the school instead of actually being there.” He nodded satisfied with my answer. Then he walked around deep in thought. Perhaps mulling how he should handle this in the back of his mind.

“Next question. How long have you known the girl that was murdered?” A twist of pain I've been having for months crept into my stomach as if it were a fresh wound. I actually hadn't known her that long. No one did. That's what made me feel so
bad about it. That and the fact that she was so perfect. I've never fallen in love so fast...Okay I've never even fallen in love until I met her. Whatever that is. I know that
the few times I have met her my heart was pounding like a bell.

“I'd known her for six days, and then she was pushed off the ledge.” I said giving everyone at the prosecutor's table a dirty look. They looked back at me menacingly. All except the blonde who looked away with a faraway look in her eyes. The Attorney gave me a warm smile.

“That will be all Mr. Brown. No further questions your honor.” We both stepped off the stand as the prosecutor got his testifier on the stand, and whispered in his ear. After he was finished he sent him off to take his vows. After that he waited to be
called to the stand.

“Next we call Jacob to the stand.” He stepped proudly, and indignantly to the stand as if he was the one who had something to complain about. He smoothed back his almost white blonde hair before leaning back in his seat. The prosecutor stepped up with a suspicious smile on his face.

“Mr. Williams, first question. What are your grades in this school and what
do you want to be when you grow up?” I didn't see the significance of the story besides the fact that they wanted to suck up to the crowd. The boy looked happy enough to answer the questions.

“My GPA is currently a 4.0 and after high school I hope that I'll be able to be accepted into Harvard College. I want to be an environmentalist when I grow up. I want to help everyone that I am able to help in order to make this world a better place. I've had no reason whatsoever to murder a helpless girl, and we were such good
friends.” I'm pretty sure that I wasn't the only in the room that knew that was fake. They just played along because they didn't want someone that wasn't there color to win.

“Next question. How long have you known Melody Lann?” He answered it in an attempt to be some what emotional. It didn't work at all.

“I've known her since elementary school. We've always had long conversations, and went to a lot of parties before...before the murder.” He looked at me
like I was intimidating him or something. What a douche. The prosecutor didn't even look happy with that answer. I could have almost sworn that I'd seen the judge's smile
twitch. Almost. The prosecutor shook his head and looked at the judge.

“No further questions your honor.” Then went back to his desk as if he had regretted going up there in the first place. I would have regretted too. He was a douche after all. It seemed like this was our chance to win back some ground of our own through this guy. My attorney looked sharp as he walk to stand in front of the of the testifier. He cleared his throat before he started to speak.

“Mr. Williams, First question. What did you have on during the murder?” It took the guy forever to come up with the answer. I mean was he even nervous? I had been sweating balls of sweat when I stood before him. I smiled at the look of contempt on his face. There was no way this was going to work in their favor.

“I don't remember what I had on that tragic day, Sir. All I was worried about was the test I had in Geometry, but I do remember it being cold.” The defense attorney smiled and shook his head.

“Mr. Williams was it cold in the commons where you eat?” He laughed and leaned back even farther in his seat.

“Of course not. This school has one of the best heating systems nationwide,
and they are updated every month.” I almost shook with the laughter that was
threatening to leave my mouth. My attorney looked at him with skeptically. He probably didn't believe he was that dumb, but he continued nonetheless.

“Next question, Who were you with that day?” The prosecutor jumped up as quick as his he could.

“Objection your honor, the defense fails to keep relevance in this case.” The judge looked at the attorney and the attorney looked back.

“Withdrawn. You better get to it defense.” The attorney nodded at the judge with a small smile.

“Skipping formalities Mr. Williams. Where were you when the murder was happening?” The boy never looked the attorney in the eye after he asked that question. It was as if he were caught in an act. He probably was the way the jury stared at him. Things just kept getting better.


“I was in the classroom doing extra homework for a book report.” Everyone in the courtroom went quiet. Even my attorney stared at him as if he were mental. A small laugh escaped my throat and I had to cover my mouth to make sure no one heard, but one person did hear. The prosecutor. He immediately stood to his feet.

“Your honor if you may excuse me. I would like to have a word with my client before we continue with the trial.”

“Objection your honor! That's obviously against the rules.” The judge
himself didn't look very happy with how the person on the stand was testifying. He sighed and answered reluctantly.

“I'm afraid it is against the rules to do that in the court of law Prosecutor.” The prosecutor immediately crumpled a piece of paper and through it on the ground. I almost felt sorry for the Williams kid on the stand who was now looking around to see what was wrong. He thought he had done everything right. I shook my head and tried to feel some type of sympathy, but I couldn't. Not for a murderer. My attorney cleared his throat waiting to see if he could continue where he left off.

The judge was about to wave him on, but then something terrible happened. The Williams kid started to shake and convulse as if he were having a heart attack. In a
moment I found that I was correct and what was ironic was I wasn't serious. Now I could feel some sympathy for him. The trial was once again called off because of his condition, but no one expected what came next. The next morning he was pronounced dead. The same way the Lawyer was pronounced dead. By a heart attack.

That night in bed I had a dream that both he and Melody were looking at each other from two different skies. Melody's was bright, but the Williams kid's was dark. Melody didn't move, but the other guy was flailing his arms trying unsuccessfully to escape being grabbed by tall, skinny dark figures that were grabbing at his chest. I couldn't really make out what he was saying, but I could have sworn I heard the words
“I'm sorry” come off of his lips. Melody looked both bothered and sad for him, but it didn't look like there was anything that could be done for him. As I turned to watch him one last time, I saw that he was being dragged farther into the dark by the most horrid looking monsters I'd ever seen. It sent shivers all over my body and when I woke up I felt a liquid come down my face. I assumed that it was sweat or even tears, but when I saw what it was I shook in fear. It was blood.

Chapter 3: Fight
That morning I woke in cold sweat because of that nightmare, and all that week I had a sinking feeling in my stomach. It as if I were waiting for my own execution. It didn't help that we were getting threatening phone calls, and that my parents were arguing more frequently. When they passed me in the hallways they often chose to look away or simply to ignore me. I knew exactly what was going on. They
blamed me for what was happening to us and I didn't blame them one bit. The next part of trial was slowly but surely climbing toward us. Everyone of us knew that this would
decide it for everyone of us. Most of all me. Would our lives be ruined or preserved? I hope for my families sake that it was the latter, but it wasn't the latter. It was so much worse than it should have been. So much that it still gives me shivers in the night time.
.
.
.

During the time my nightmares were worse than ever before. It came to a point where I had tried to avoid sleep all together. I lay awake and tried my best not to fall to my eyes temptations, and for five days it lasted. While I was awake I had fallen to something much worse. My father's nightmares. He would scream and scream and scream until my mother woke him up and tried to calm him. I couldn't possibly fathom what would scare my dad. I've never heard him sound like that in my whole life.

At last came the day of the trial and I hope in my heart I was ready for
whatever they had waiting for me. Whether it would be freedom and justice, or conviction and death I would know in this room in the next couple of hours. I was first on the stand again, and I didn't feel a thing as I walked seemingly in slow motion toward the stand. My hands would be constrained for the last time in this courtroom. The prosecutor came up to the stand as his normal self. His chin held up as if he would deliver the final blow. I wouldn't mind if he did.

I was tired of living like this. I needed peace in a place no peace could be found. A piece of sunshine in a storm cloud. A dry spot in the Fountain of Youth.
Darkness in the face of God. These were all impossible. Just as the possibility of me winning this case. A shadow seemed to crawl over the courtroom. Nothing was happy. Nothing was content. Nothing was justified. I'm pretty sure they all knew what they
were about to do and they were starting to doubt it, but it was already too late. I was doomed and they knew it too at the end after both lawyers gave there final statements. My attorney gave me a pitiful pat on the shoulder, and because of that I almost began to
break down. I wouldn't let them see me that way though. Not them. I would go where I would go with a proud look on my face. Nothing more. Nothing less. It was exactly as I expected it to be. The judge carefully unfolded the paper that was handed to him by one of the jury. Then he looked at me and read aloud.

“The court and jury find the defendant,” There was a small pause as if he were hoping someone would look at him in a suspenseful way, but there was no need for that. We all knew how this was going to end.

“Guilty of the first degree murder of Melody Lann, and therefore you will be sentence to twenty five years in prison. It will be on adult charges since your sixteen already.” I shook my head in disbelief.

“Your honor I won't be sixteen for another six months.” He gave me the
first sneer I've ever seen him make.

“Only small details. Regardless of how old you are, you will be in jail until
you are forty. This court is adjourned.” It was all over with the pounding of his mallet on the gravel. For a moment I could here nothing but the sound of blood rushing in and out of my ears like the ocean waves. I saw my mother crying and my father trying to comfort her unsuccessfully. After all I was there only son. Who was going away twenty five years for a murder I did not commit. It's funny how the world works. I've never believed in God, but at that moment I started to pray. When I got out of here I wanted to be someone. Someone that would demolish this unjustified crime. Someone who could affect all of the unjustified crimes in this nation.

It was all I could think of as they took me away to prison. Off to real prison.
To rot away for twenty five years. Before I could stop it tears were coming down my face. All my emotions were out in the open and everyone was free to see it. I couldn't say they didn't enjoy it, but I could say that no one was happy. They all looked so tired
and they probably knew that they were going to pay for this. One way or the other they would. The officer basically dragged me into the police car. Not that I struggled or anything. I was too busy being deprived of my childhood innocence. I was fifteen and already knew troubles that no grown man should ever have to know. Figuratively speaking. Later that day I was in cell. I cried all that night because I knew that I wouldn't be able to in prison. It was no place for the weak. Only for the strong.


I sighed as my old habit of the good get going attitude started to fade
away. I wouldn't see outside these walls until I was forty for a crime I did not commit. Tears of anger as well as tears of sadness and guilt dwelt inside me, and there was nothing I could to about it.
The next day they were taking me to federal prison, and I would only see my parents once a week. If they chose to come at all.

Knowing them they'd try again. They're both still very young so they could have another kid that won't get him or herself into trouble. I shook my head at the thought. My parents would never do anything so cowardly. They'd stick with me until the very end. That's what I had to force myself to believe.
.
.
.

The next day I was taken to a prison further in the state. They put me in an original striped criminal uniform and the only thing that was missing was the circular hat. I didn't show any type of emotion going there. What was the use? It wasn't like anyone was going to care anymore. Though I did decide that I wouldn't let this jail time affect my education. I didn't know at the time that my parents had already arranged how I would receive my education. They wrote me later on saying that it cost them a fortune, but I think that the last thing they felt was regret. They knew what needed to be done in order for their son to succeed, and even though it cost them, and I love them
both dearly they did it. The officer that was escorting into the prison started to get
impatient.

“Hurry your self boy. Or else I'll throw you in a cell.” I did as he told me but apparently that wasn't enough for him. He grabbed me by the scruff of my neck. “When we tell you to do something you say “yes sir”. Do you hear me boy? Don't think that just because you were the smartest where you come from you'll be any better off than we are. You're all here for for committing some crime.” He said as we went through a big hall. It had, I believe, every prisoner that was there. There was floor upon floor upon floor. I tried to see the end of it, but it only led up into darkness. The prisoners looked even worse off. Most were normal but every once in a while there were scary ones. People I knew that I didn't want to mess with. I decided to take the time to describe one of the worst to you.

“Murder,” said the man in a very gravelly voice. It was as if he were beginning to tell a scary story. I waited for more but he just looked me in the eye and pointed into the darkest place in the room. From where we stood we could see no one and nothing, so I assumed it was supposed to stay raveled in mystery. It wasn't so. He pushed me in the direction of the prison cell, and I started to smell something disgusting. If anything, I could definitely call this the smell of death.

“S-Sir I don't think I”d like to see what's in there actually.” He pushed me harder.

“Not what boy, who.” His gravelly however cool it may have sounded then
was not cool anymore. It was just creepy. “Look real close boy,” he said in his thick country accent. “That man is the Boo Radley of this prison. Never in a million moons will you want to mess with him.” I felt a weird shiver come from my spine.

“I wouldn't dream of bothering it Sir.” He pointed to the corner of the cell
room, and me now being some what interested decided to have a closer look. What was in that prison was shaking. He had long scraggly brown hair. It might have been blonde,
but it was too dark in there, and he was too dirty to tell. Before I could back away, I was pushed on to the the prison bars, and the man inside suddenly turned my way, and started to stand up. I tried to move but the prison officer latched handcuffs on one my hands and the other one the bar.

“What are you doing?” I whispered frantically. He smiled and shook his head and started stepping back. “Let me off of this why are you doing this?” It was now a more of a shout than a whisper, and people started trying to see what the fuss was about. I didn't care, and continued to shout. “Are you a mad man? I-,” the sound of changed rattling steadily ended my sentence. I didn't want to, but I looked inside of the
prison cell, and I saw one of the scariest men ever.

He was as dirty as I imagined and skinny too, but something told me he was way stronger than anyone thought. I looked around and some of the other inmates were
laughing, and some were in suspense. All they needed was a bag of popcorn, and they would be watching a movie. Not that they were allowed any. I looked back at the man, but I couldn't really see him. His hair covered his whole face, and went below his waist. It became clear that the officer would not help me, so I began trying to pull myself from the bar. It was a very futile attempt, but I would rather try then give in to this man. He came closer and closer, and he came very, very slowly. If anything that just made it a lot more scary. When he got so close I could smell his breathe, and I was about to wet my prison uniform, he started to pull back his hair.

What I saw when he revealed his face would haunt me even when I turned old and gray. It would even haunt me in death. All I saw were his eyes, or where his eyes
should have been on his face. In there place were big black holes that seemed to look
into my soul. He squeezed the bars with his hands and brought his face close to mine. It seemed impossible for a blind man to be able to come up to face me right up at the bars.

It was not that it was dark that I thought this; it was because of the simple fact that the man was blind. Not only that he had a long diagonal scar that went from his chin to the opposite side of his forehead. It was hard to look at, but I was always a gentlemen. Going to jail wouldn't change anything.

“Nice-Nice to meet you Sir.” I said trying to keep my voice as it usually is, but as you can see I failed. I looked at me for what seemed to be a long time. Then
grunted and walked back into the darkness, and the darkness accepted him swallowing him whole.

“Now see that wasn't so bad was it boy?” Said the office patting me on the
back. “Most boys that would have gone through that would have peed and soiled their drawers by then.” I didn't look at him; just nodded and continued to look forward. I would have to do everything in my power to stay away from this man as long as I was here. If that was possible. I was serving a whole generation in this place. A painfully, long generation. I arrived at my cell in which I had everything that my parents could provide for me. The cell consisted of: Hygiene supplies, my favorite books, my school supplies, and a change of socks.

“They could have put anything they wanted in this jail cell but they were thinking of me. So they put the minimum amount of things they could in there, thinking of anything in particular that appealed to me or was in my preference. Part of the reason
that I loved and treasured them dearly. They were there for me, even when they weren't there. When I went to bed that night I did something that I never thought I'd do. I prayed. I prayed for my family, my friends in London, and of course myself. I prayed for Melody as well, even though she was gone.

That night I dreamed of the blind prisoner. In my dream he had eyes, and no scars on his face. It was a beautiful sunset and there was a large meadow before us. It
had to have been the most beautiful sunset I'd ever seen. The sun looked so big. It was as if we were watching it from the motherland.

That's when it happened. In that moment of peace, everything changed. The prisoner looked at me with a look of sadness in his expression. It was as if he wanted to let me know something, but he couldn't. I asked him what was wrong, and he tried to speak but his words came out as strong wind blowing in the distance. Something or someone had held his tongue. All of a sudden time started to speed up. The sun started to set rapidly, and shadows began to crawl over the meadow. When I look around again nothing was the same.

Instead of grass there was desolate land, and the sky was pitch black. There
was no moon, and no stars. Only Darkness. Then I heard the footsteps. Those cursed footsteps that would haunt me for the next few weeks. They made a pat, pat sound in the dirt, and worse they were coming in my direction. Worst of all I couldn't control my body, and I was walking right toward him whether I wanted to or not.

I wanted to scream, shout at myself to stop. To tell myself that there was danger ahead, but the he who was myself wouldn't listen, he only kept going forward. I tried to close my eyes, but that was impossible. I had no choice, but to watch what was about to unfold. When we reached the prisoner he looked as he had when I first met him. He was blinded, and had a long scar that went diagonally through his face. Behind him the moon began to rise, and his shadow was long. Then I felt a warm presence behind me. A welcoming presence. I knew who it was before I even turned. Her black curls, and beautiful showed brightly in the darkness. It was like her own essence was light. She smiled at me and without turning pointed downward toward the ground. What I saw
shook me to the very foundations of my soul. My shadow not only was it abnormally long, but it was big.

It was four or five times my size and twice the size of the prisoner's. I
looked up at Melody, but she was looking upward at something else. I turned toward the tainted prisoner, and he was looking toward the same thing. When I looked up I saw I saw a wooden rod, and for some reason I was raising my hand to grab it. As it carried itself toward me there was a blood-curdling scream from the ground. It was so loud the ground began to shake. It went on for what seemed like forever, or at least until I grabbed the rod.

As I grabbed the rod I noticed that there was something in the base of it that looked a limpid jewel. I raised it toward the sky and the darkness in the sky parted, and everything was how it was before it was dark. I looked at Melody, but I became hesitant because she seemed different somehow. She looked older. That's right, she looked to be in her late twenties, and was even more beautiful than she had been alive. I looked into the mysterious jewel on the rod, and it was not my reflection I saw.

It was a man's. A man that prospered and did good in everything that he had did, and that man was me. I woke with a start. Cold sweat dripping from every place on my body. I almost got up to go get something to drink, but I remembered where I was. Prison. There were people in here that would defile me without any given notice. I had to harden myself inside and out. If I didn't I”d easily fall into their hands, and I didn't want that one bit. Over the next few months I worked out who to hang with and who not to mess with. I decided to keep the fact that I was receiving a private education to myself, and unsurprisingly I started attending church services on Sundays to get extra time off.

Actually I'd be lying if I said it was just for that because it wasn't. Prayer
genuinely made me feel better, and it helped me get my priorities right. As time crawled
forward, I learned that bible stories actually weren't bad. There were some stories that I was more interested in then others. The stories that I was most interested in were the lives of the twelve judges of Israel. In certain time periods God would choose men that
were good enough to deliver Israel from lands that held then captive. They would worship him until the judge of that time was dead. Then they would slowly go back to worshiping their own gods.

Then God in turn would get angry and punish Israel with affliction until the next judge was chosen. The first of these judges was Moses, and another famous one
was King David. Though Moses was the man that was able to free Israel from the hard hand of the Egyptians, and David was one of greatest kings who ever lived they both ended up failing in what they were supposed to do. Keeping the Hebrews loyal to God.
After one judge died it said that Israel was in bondage for seventy years. That's a very
long time. Whoever told us that God wouldn't hurt a fly was wrong. He is great, terrifying, and merciful in one go.

Months and months passed and slowly, but surely they began to turn into years, and the next thing I knew I was already eighteen years old. I still went to church practices, and I was even more interested than before. I had read every book at least once. I could even recite verses by heart. I was also getting my high school diploma soon, and now my mother and father, who were forever faithful to over these last few years, are pushing me to get college degrees as well.

I had friends here as well. Friends who have been through things similar to
what I've been through. We all believed in God, and promised each other when we got out we would each get baptized properly. Though we still had a long way to go.

The first and best of these friends was Jackie Miller. The guy had a terrible
attitude, but when I was about to be raped by a gang of people in the bathroom three
years go he had my back. He never told me why he saved me that day, yet through that
we were able to build a strong bond. He was terribly muscular, and about a year older
than me. Though he was a strong believer he would never take anything from any one.
He would regret that one day. I didn't need to tell see the future to tell you that I was sure of that.

The second one was Slinky George. No one knew what his real name was, or why he was so slinky. As a matter of fact we could never tell when he started to hang around us. He was just there one day, and he's been hanging out with us ever since. Okay, it wasn't like that. The guy got us cheeseburgers and other snacks that were usually impossible to get into the old slammer. We never called it prison. It was still all too real for us.

The last was a woman. Now before you start making assumptions at how impossible that would be I have to tell you that thanks to my parents my sentence wasn't as bad as it should have been. I was allowed to have somewhat of a normal school life with a class filled with problem students like me. As expected I never got along with any of them, except Sabrina Johnson. At the time she was truthfully one of the nicest girls I had ever met. To this day I never knew how someone like her would’ve ended up in a place like this, but you must remember that she was only at the school. She spent all of her other days at the female prison a few miles north of where we were.

I no longer spoke the way of my homeland. My voice was now very American unlike how it was when I first arrived here. I felt nothing as I realized it was
gone. Nothing bothers you much when you're in jail for a murder you didn't commit.

“Achilles, my man. I heard you're graduating soon. Too bad you can't go to college.....because your in jail!” Loud laughter erupted from the crowds of people
around us. That idiot knew that was supposed to be a secret. I forgot to mention that
Jackie Miller had a twisted sense humor, and that even though he was good at heart his
insensitivity was like a stab in the back. I gave a tired laugh to satisfy him.

“I am graduating soon Jackie, but because of my smarts I will be receiving
a college education. The work will be equivalent to the studies they have a Harvard.” He shrugged at this probably trying to think of another bad joke to tell me, but I guess he couldn't be cause he pointed to something he found more interesting.

“Look over there. There's another fight breaking out.” He didn't even need to say it. People were already gathering around to see it, and because of the how big and arrogant he was, he was able to push us toward the front. Lucky us. Needless to say the fight was over nothing.

“You take my ketchup pretty boy?” Asked a big, bald, muscular Chinese man that war a bandanna around his head. The other man didn't really look like he wanted to fight.

“I didn't take anything I swear. I haven't eaten all day!” Most cases, and I'm pretty sure this one too, the bigger guy fakes and acts like someone stole their food.
What really happened is he really ate his food already but he wasn't full, so he picked on a small guy to get his food too. Out of nowhere the big man slammed his fist onto the younger guy's face, and the crowd was in a big uproar. It was like they had been waiting for this all morning. Must be what keeps them going.

“Are you going to tell me what you did with my burger now pretty boy?”
So now it was his burger huh? He started rubbing his fist and walking toward the figure sprawled out on the floor and was trying to get up anywhere besides the hulking figure that was walking toward him. All of a sudden a new presence materialized next to us.

“What's this all about?” It was old Slinky George skulking in unnoticed by
everyone. I wasn't at all surprised, but Jackie Miller nearly soiled his pants.

“God George would you stop it with that creepy business. You're like a
snake sliding through the grass.” There was a moment of silence between the three of us as we looked at him in a way that made him know that he just said something really
stupid. His cheeks reddened and he continued to watch how the fight was going. The small man was nearly beaten to death. There was blood all over his once handsome face, and he was limp in the big man's arm.

Then sirens went on all over the common's, and before anyone had time to escape officers were all over rounding everyone into a big circle.


“Okay boys let's lockem' up. These men have no idea what they're in for for
this big mess.” All the prisoners having heard started to moan and complain because it
was normal for them to do so. Every once and a while some of us would mess up, and we'd all have to pay for it with some impossible punishment. Nothing that would kill us, but nothing that would leave us alive either. Some of the prisoners struggled knowing that they didn't have a chance of escaping.

What they should have known was that it would have gone so much quicker if they had just accepted it, but there they were wasting their energy. Energy that they would need the next morning or else....

There was nothing else to add at the end because you already know that there will be some type of blood-shed. Jackie Miller looked at me as if he wanted apologize for this, but he couldn't. I had to face my own demons my own way; starting
with what they had for the blacks tomorrow. After that everyone cleared off, but not before the smaller man was carried off in an ambulance. I hardly think it did him any good because we never saw him again. We would only hear rumors on what people thought happened.

“Alright everyone back to your cells. You're gonna need some rest for what
we have planned for you tomorrow.” I chuckled at that. His southern accent almost made him sound serious. Slinky George offered a smile with his pale, crusted lips. Though Jackie Miller didn't seem to get what we found so darned hilarious. Get it? Of course
you don't. My try at American humor is as bad as his. That, at least, hasn't changed about me after these three long years.

“So Achilles my man, how's it going with the gal you have over at the educational facility?” I shook my head at his failed attempt at English.

“Pretty well Jackie. I haven't pushed her off a cliff yet.” We all laughed at
that. It was relieving funny. After that, some of the officers came around and started putting us back in our cells. None to kindly either. They pushed, smacked, stroked and made use of all other type of ill-mannered gestures toward their damned criminals. All we could do was follow is shut up and have their way. Less we end up like I ended up before I came here. Ha. It's funny how the justice system works that way. Breathtakingly funny.

That night after I prayed to God to have mercy and give blessings to us all, I had a dreamless night. It was a blessing all in itself, and I was extremely happy because of it. Though I knew that because of this something bad was going to happen tomorrow. The same way you knew that a storm was coming when you saw storm clouds. I closed
my eyes tight, and put my hand over my heart to make sure I stayed alive.
.
.
.

Early the next morning every prisoner awoke at the sound of a loud bell. It was much louder than it needed to be. Then officers in vests ran to every prison cell to
take everyone one of us out in an orderly fashion. Their effort was soon rewarded, for under twenty minutes we all stood in battalions without a single crooked line to ruin the
image. I noticed something else too. Something that I should have noticed long before.
All of the blacks and whites were separate, or better yet, the whites were separate from everyone else.

I winced at every step as the warden walked toward us in a manner one
would call superior. Not because he thought that he was superior, but because right then at that moment he was superior.

“Battalion.” He shouted as he himself stood at attention in front of us. He
was to the left of where I was. The platoon leaders shouted off their words without a single spot of hesitation.

“Platoon,” they said as they all went into attention themselves. Then right on cue the Warden shouted the command we had been waiting for all along.

“Attention.” We all moved in one motion as we had been taught to in earlier years. All we heard were the sounds of our boots clashing against each other to make a big scraping sound as they hit. He started speaking while the officers started looking for any mistakes that they could use to make public examples.

“Now everyone listen up. I've heard that there has been a fight in my prison.” He paused and looked one man in the eye. “In my prison! Therefore my officers
have called me into this matter because it seems it happens every single day.” He started to smile and look around. This signified that he had something very tough planned for us. Something very, very tough. The officers that were looking for mistakes were getting closer and closer to where I was. In the act of noticing this I also noticed that they were the causes of some of the mistakes they were looking for.

Slapping the knees of the prisoners with the night sticks they carried in their hands. Every once in a while you would hear someone howl in pain or fall under their grimy boots. It disgusted me. That's when they got to me I stood standing tall with a
smile on my face. It was an obvious mistake that I made happen purposely. In other
words, I used a we bit of reverse-sideways-psychology. You would be surprised that such a thing exists, but if you do know this then you must know that nothing in psychology is one hundred percent, Only in the higher percentage. By using that to my advantage, I was able to avoid the pain that would have came.

“Quit smiling like an idiot boy before I roast your hips with this stick.” I surprised him so much, that couldn't do what he did to the other prisoners. This case was in the higher percentage since no one here are really deep thinkers. I looked at the sky. I had God Himself to thank for that. After that I looked forward again. I looked
forward as if it was the only way to look, and of course it was. My thoughts were once again interrupted by the deafening sound of the Warden's voice.

“Your instructors we'll explain to you what will happen when you get there!” I realized I had missed most of his speech, and I didn't regret it. The rest of what happened wasn't much interesting so I'll tell you myself. Our platoon leaders called us into attention again. After that the Caucasian battalions did a right face, while the other races did a left and we all went our separate ways. I tried not to look back at the people who would have a better day then us but I failed. Pride comes before a fall I thought over and over again as we walked into the shadow of our valley of death.

Chapter 4: Decision
It was just one opened field with no obvious implements for our so called activities. The only clue we had of our activities were the instructor's orders.

“Everyone of you boys get into a big circle. We're gonna start with somethin' real easy compared to what you're really going to be doing. You can call it a warm-up. Lay flat on your bellies.” No one responded to the some what random statement. Not until someone yelled it of course.

“He said get on your bellies boys!” We all did things accordingly to what the man said. When we were all down we awaited further orders, and sure enough we got them.

“Now I know for a fact that most of you know who Superman is. He's a
pretty boy, lean, strong, and most importantly, he can fly. We're going to be doing what
he did to get as strong as he was.” I wanted to correct him, commenting on the fact that superman wasn't even human. He was a super being from another galaxy that was sent here because his home planet was destroyed. I would've done it, but because of what happened two years ago last time I wanted to mouth off, I wouldn't.

“I want all of you to put out your arms as if you were flying through the sky
like superman. I want your feet out as well, the only think that should be on the ground is your belly.” He stopped to look around, and told his lower ranked officers to check if we were all in position, and even that long wait was excruciatingly painful. I had never hated an officer so bad the three years I'd been in prison. “Anybody have any questions
before we begin?” No one raised their hands because they knew that if they did then he would go on and on about nothing, and the time would we had would never end. Another officer with a stop watch stepped forward.

“Okay boys, let's get this started then.” As soon as he pushed the button on the device, every officer started to yell at every man lying down on that field. They wouldn't yell words of encouragement. They'd yell insults and threats to make us fall. They put us down. I think I read something about this; something more than what some people call discouragement. It's a word called katapiesmenon in Greek terms, but here in America it is called oppression. I thought this slavery that happened between the Africans and Americans was settled over one hundred years ago. Though as you can see that's not the case.

We had to lay like that in that grassy meadow for the remainder of the day. Some of the prisoners puked, some fell out, and of course there were those that just flat out did not do it. Those were the ones that got it the worst. The second punishment was was like the second death. It was so ghastly that I couldn't even bear to write it down. No one left that field without at least an ounce of blood out of them. I even had bruises
on me. I almost puked in the end having to see grown men cry like boys. One of them couldn't even walk straight because he couldn't proportion his back back to it's natural position. I was limping myself. I felt like the tendons in my bones were about to come lose and end my walking for good. I felt a fwap on back, but it didn't really hurt because what other pain could add to the feeling we had now?


“Hurry on boy. Your slowing up your line.” When I kept walking without turning around he fwapped me harder, and that time I retaliated with something that scared even myself. I grabbed his stick, and fwapped him on his bloody head. He slumped without much more than a thud. I could have sworn I heard him snore when I
turned to walk away. Then someone grabbed me from behind, and then the next thing I knew I was being tackled and brought to the ground. I was chained and sentenced to a week in the hole, and when I opened my eyes there was darkness all around me.

“Help me! Somebody help me out of here! I didn't do...do.” I started to see since again, and I stood up and looked for walls. Or in other words, looking for some kind of opening, but there was none. I started to sob and breakdown for one of the first times in my whole life. I was ripped open. All the pain, and fear, and uncertainty that I was holding in myself for the last three years finally came out. I don't know how long it lasted, but after a while I got quiet. Thinking to myself. Analyzing all the data that I found in myself, and that I found out about everyone else I knew. Then I had to remind myself who I was, and I thanked God that he made me this way. In a way that I can regenerate myself in record time. After this realization I became quiet, and time began to hide itself from me in a way that I absolutely terrorized me. Then a small opening of light opened from what must have been the door.

“Hey boy we got your breakfast here. Eat up.” He threw it in with a harshness that showed how much he didn't want to be there with me. I was angered by
this and almost got up to throw it against the wall, but I had to tell myself that I probably
haven't eaten in days. I tried to find my voice.

“ How long has it been? How long since I've been in here?” The man looked back at me with something that looked like sympathy.

“I'd say you've been in here for something like five days if I know my
counting right.” I froze. I wanted to deny it at first, and was about to but I saw no lie in
the man's face. I had survived in here without food and water for five days. By all rights, I should be dead; or at least unable to move my body. I then realized how it happened. It
wasn't even my normal train of thought; it was as if something had clicked in my mind. Something that should have been very obvious.

Did God help me through this. The way it had felt to me I would've thought I'd been in there about a day, but five days. What exactly did I look like now. I sent up a silent prayer to him. The man took something out of his pocket and through it at me. It looked like it had been crinkled many times, but was now folded. I opened it up to find a certificate of graduation. Oh my Gosh, I had missed my high school graduation. If I had known this might happen then I wouldn't have done what I did.

What are my parents thinking? What about Slinky George, Jackie Miller, and Sabrina. He was about to leave, but I had another question.

“How much time do I have left before I can go back to my cell?” I asked urgently because to be honest I had forgotten. He was deep in thought for a second, and I almost thought he didn't know but the moment he did know it was axiomatic. It was so obvious that I could see a light bulb hanging above his head.

“You get out of here in about two days.” Then without warning he opened my cell, and did something I wouldn't have thought any officer hear would do. He showed me kindness. “I wish you luck. I've never want to see a lad suffer like you did just these past few days. I'm quitting tomorrow, and I'm going to do everything I can to help all you boys in this prison. Not even the devil in hell deserves what you got.” With that he took off his hat, and nodded his head at me, and left without another word. I was too stunned to react. That had to be God. The man had went from being an officer to a good guy.

I had two more days in this hellhole, and I'd probably have no food for two
days longer. I wished the man would have stayed to sneak me more food instead of quitting and thinking of the long term. Though I knew that since I had my sense back I had a better chance of finding someway of sustaining myself. Though I hadn't the
faintest idea what I would do to sustain myself.

It wasn't so hard though. The next few days they actually brought me meals. It was like working through the hardest chapter of Algebra first, but unlike any other situation they never told you that the hard part was over. The last day I looked for the man that said he would quit because at the time I was skeptical. I couldn't find him anywhere. Even when I tried to give a description no one seemed to really know him. This peaked my curiosity even more, but I had no means to even trying to figure out who this man was. So after a while I started to let it go. If I let God take control I would find everything I needed in due time.

Right after that I went to the school portion of the jail to talk with my high
school teachers one last time before they had to go. They had all been so good to me over the last few years. They said that, simply put, I was the best student they had ever had in the history of their teaching. They bragged that even colleges students couldn't keep up like I did. Nothing could have made me happier. Then there was Sabrina who greeted me with a hug. Unlike the other girls in our class she treated me like a normal
citizen. Which in most ways I still was.

“Are you alright? They said that you were locked in for a week, and that you went without food for five days.” I blinked twice. She looked at me funny, and realized that she spoke to fast for me to actually understand. So she tried again. “You okay lover boy?”

“Yes, I'm fine.” I said a little too hastily. This made her look at me
sideways. “I was just lost in thought for a second Sabrina. How was graduation?” I asked trying to change the subject. It didn't look like it did me much good, but she
answered happily.

“It was great. Everything went off without a hitch, but we were all missing a certain someone,” she said poking my face. I slapped her hand away playfully.

“I understand what you're saying, but I really doubt the we part.” She laughed a little at that, even though we both knew what I said wasn't really funny. Nor was it meant to be. We were both quiet for a moment then, but not the awkward kind of
silent. It was the type of silence where you were content with how you were in that moment. A moment I wished would last forever, but I knew that wasn't going to happen. It reminded me of that night I had spent watching the stars with Melody.

“So what college program are you going to then?” She smiled and looked at me with wondering eyes.

“I'm going to the Harvard program they have.” In this school system if someone receives high enough grades when they graduate they can go to a college program. A college program here is basically going through the same curriculum you would go through if you actually attended the college. Though that was the one difference. You couldn't attend it. What about you have you thought about it yet?” For a second she was lost for words, and I was surprised that she really hadn't been thinking about it.

“I plan on going to a university type program as well, but I really haven't been thinking about it.” Then practically out of nowhere, she grabbed my arm moving herself closer to me.

“We don't have to worry about that now. I have some really good news.” The way she said that made me think that just the two of us were in on something together, but like I said it was just a thought. I cleared my throat.

“What exactly might that be Sabrina?” She pulled me into a direction that
was a little darker than the room normally would have been.

“Don't tell any of your friends, but I got us a date. Of course we'll be escorted by officers, but it will mean having time away from our cells.” The way she said this suggested she was holding a condescending view of the prison. A perception that also suggested that she didn't belong here. Did she? I never head the reason she was being held here,and I never asked her either. For fear that it might ruin what we had together. Whatever we had. The idea of the idea made me very happy, but there was also a hint of uncertainty, and hesitation.

“That's great, but what did you say to them to let us have a date?” She took out a document that looked very much like a contract.

“It was because of this. I got one of the higher ups to sign it. You should have seen the Warden's face when he had to approve of it. He's still up there yelling about it now.” I laughed a hard, scornful, somewhat skeptical laugh. I looked at her, and she was smiling at me like it all went according to plan. This was the look that scared me, and made me have seconds thought about her. Though it did nothing other than that.

“Well if this all goes the way you say it will, I'm sure we'll both have a great time.” She smiled a bight beautiful smile, that any eighteen year old would be caught off guard by. Though a nineteen year old being the one making the smile puts a certain dark feel to the whole matter. How you say? I have no idea, for this matter I just go by
the feelings that I have when these types of things happen. After that we had a wonderful lunch together inside the prison. Though we were being watched the whole time, it was
a very fun lunch. It was filled, thanks to my parents, with very expensive champagne, and a very rare taste of food. Food whose name I still cannot pronounce by my lonesome. In my experience trying to do it I received a room filled with laughter, mainly
from Sabrina, and a chance to get depressed over not being as good at pronunciation as I thought. How's that for my second date? Not good I think.

“Did you have a good time?” She asked as we walked down the hallways escorted by two tall, silent officers.

“I had a splendid evening. I could kiss you right now for giving me such a fine dining experience.” She looked at me with a sly look in her eyes, and I almost fell into them. She looked like she was going to hold me up straight, but I assured her that there was no need. Barely. My heart skipped a beat. There it was again. That feeling I had when I was around her, but I'm not talking about love. I'm talking about a more conspicuous feeling that I only seemed to have when something very horrible was going to happen.

I waved to her as we separated into different halls that led to different prisons all together. She gave me a very convincing smile that almost melted away all of the doubts I was having, but it didn't quite do the job. In that moment I made a mistake
because I knew what this feeling was. It was a sign from God.

“Leave her alone.” He seemed to say. “Leave her alone or else she'll be the end of you.” In this moment I was disobedient to Him. I disregarded all that he was trying to let me see. I dropped like a stone into a world of my own deceit. A deceit that would only deceive me.

“Are you okay boy? Looks like you just seen a ghost somewhere. Are you scared?” The way he looked at me suggested that he saw me as something he considered to be a threat. I found the fact that I had to consider this very saddening. I had known
this officer for sometime now, and I was pretty sure he knew me. I almost wanted to ask him why he would think such a thing, but I couldn't inquire on a hunch alone. So I feigned innocence.

“I don't know what you're talking about Sir. I suppose I must have been deep in thought for a while.” He looked at me for a moment, and seemed to visibly relax. Then he looked from where I just came from, and cleared his throat.

“You real close to that girl?” I looked at him in surprise. He had never
asked something so personal.

“Yes I am. We've been friends since I started going here, or rather to the school I just graduated from.” He nodded and gave an expression that said he was thinking, “Well how about that?”

“Well you know you have big trouble on you hands? I mean big trouble boy. You sure someone as young as you should be messin' with that type of girl?” I stared at him in wonder. Not at the nerve he had to say such things, but by the mere fact that he did know something. He knew why she was in.

“Can you tell me why she's in Sir? I've been curious about it for a while, but she's never told me. If you told me just a small detail I'm sure that I can figure out the rest without her knowing.” He shook his head with uncertainty.

“Well I can tell you one thing. You stay away from her boy. Them there girls like that are nothin', but trouble.” He said this while locking the door to my cell. “She'll drag you into one of her schemes, and she'll have you back in here with a worse sentence then you already had.” This time I didn't feign ignorance He was being
ridiculous. There is nothing worse than I have now, save death. If the prosecutor would have found it out, and stuck it to me as soon as he heard word. I'm glad that he didn't.

“Sir I don't even think that's possible. I'm in here for murder.” He chuckled
and folded his arms.

“Well you gotta be the nicest murderer I have ever seen then.” He winked at me, and walked down the hallway whistling a familiar, but unfamiliar song in my wake.
Then without any warning he disappeared into the darkness, and then everything was quiet.






.
.
.

Hours later I found myself lying half awake on my bed; covered in cold
sweat. I had never had such a terrifying nightmare in my whole entire life. I found myself standing in the clouds. Just from that you may think that it would be paradise, but you'd be wrong. Completely, and utterly wrong. It was cold, and very very dark, and the clouds that I spoke of were storm clouds. There were no real audible sounds that I could here; only the sounds thunder, and of monstrous winds.

I found myself wishing that I could just fall off, but my body wouldn't move. It was one of those dreams where it was like someone else had control. I heard the officer's whistles, and then I heard his words floating toward me.

“You stay away from her boy. Them there girls like that are nothin' but trouble.” The words echoed in my ears like a thousand times. Then I heard a familiar voice, a voice that I would dream of every night.

“Hello Achilles.” It was her; it was Melody. Still haunting me from the dead, and all I could do was sit there and take it. For all I knew I deserved it.

“What do you want Melody? I can't do anything for you now. It's too late. Far too late.”

“You can still do something for me Achilles. Protect yourself. You're too smart to get caught up like everyone else.” I tried to shake my head, and failed but I
continued to speak.

“I am protecting myself. I'm protecting myself as well I can here, and I'm still alive. Look at me. She shook her head at me and gave a sad sort of nod.

“You are never safe Achilles. There is one being who may choose your fate,
and you must not forget him.” She looked up toward the sky, and the storm clouds disappeared instantaneously, and there was a light. When I looked at her again she looked perfect. A little too perfect to be human, and then she smiled and I was awake.

I sat up gasping for a breath of air, and shivering from the cold sweat that drenched my back. I had another one of those crazy dreams. The dreams that have been haunting me since Melody's murder. What does she want from me? I tried to remember what she had told me to do, but all of that was covered over by the interception of reality. I was still in jail for no reason. I would be here for the next seventeen years if my behavior was good, and after I assaulted that officer. It couldn't be.

I lay awake the rest of the night tying to think of what I would tell my parents about this. I knew it wouldn't be pretty because these type of things always got my mom emotional, and whatever got her emotional got my father angry.

I sighed. Then thought about the consequences of that action. My father once told me something when we visited the vast plains of Africa. This was a very long time ago. I was very small, but I remember what he said just fine.

“Whenever you sigh you let out a little bit of happiness, but since sighing is
a part of reality God will fill you right back up with it. Though you won't be able to get to comfortable because he could take it away in a second. The Lord giveth, but he also taketh away.” I had long since forgotten his saying, but now remembering it I feel like
something's been fulfilled. I hadn't felt this way in over three years, and if I had paid more attention to what I was like after that I would have noticed that I never sighed again. It's amazing how loyalty works sometimes.

The moment I was escorted to the breakfast room with everyone I was bombarded with questions from my two friends. Slinky George was unusually early to take a peek himself.

“What happened man? We heard you got in a fight with a bunch of officers.
People have been talking about it non-stop since last week. Did it have to do with the punishment we got in the field?” For once Jackie Miller was on point, and it made me in a some what different way. Some what. I shrugged at them.

“I don't know what came over me. Before I knew it I just grabbed an officer that was hitting on me, and the next thing I knew I was in the dark. That was a moment of weakness; I'll definitely calm myself next time when it seems like it might happen. I even missed my graduation.” I added almost just to myself. Jackie shook off all of the other sentences and asked a very sensitive question.

“Are you alright man?” I shook my head in wonder as soon as I head this. Jackie Miller wasn't a bad guy after all. He was, after all, just very insensitive. I looked toward Slinky George, and what I saw kind of broke my heart just a little bit. The little man was near tears. I don't know if they're for sadness, or happiness, or both.

“We thought they took you out for good man, what happened to you man?” That was in fact a very insensitive question him, taking what happened in account.

“They put me in the slammer for a week; five days without food. I was
surprised I lived. I think they even thought I'd be dead.” They were looking at me like I was telling stories from the Holocaust. Then after an awkward moment of silence, they started asking random questions.

“Is that even legal.”

“They can shut this place down for that. Are you sure?”

“Are you still hungry?”

“Do you remember where this all happened? Did they tell you this?” I held up my hands as a sign that there were too many questions at once; that suppressed them for a while, but just barely while I told them the whole story at last. All they could do
was stare for a while. Jackie Miller was the first to say something. He started shaking his
head, which was probably filled with even more questions.

“So you're saying that God has been helping you out all this time, and that
this dead girl you knew had something to do with it?” I nodded and he just shook his head again. I looked at Slinky George and he was looking at his shoes with a look of uncertainty. I scoffed at them.

“I thought we all believed in God. I thought that you all have had similar experiences that proved he existed. Was that all a lie?” They were both looking down now. Jackie Miller was the one to reveal their shamed truth.

“We thought that would be the right thing to do. We didn't really believe it. We just needed some type of explanation that explained it, and since you brought God up at the time we had no choice but to accept it.” I looked at them both with a wide opened mouth.

“God is real,” was my only response, and right after that I took my half eaten breakfast and threw it in the trash. I no longer had a appetite.

“Achilles wait!” I turned to face the hurt expression of Jackie Miller, but I had no remorse for him. Then all of a sudden I had a vision, or something that was more like a memory from back when I was small. It was a very vivid memory; one I thought I'd never remember again.
.
.
.

I was in seventh grade and unlike now I was never really into my studies, or any type of new knowledge. I was only into the things that the person next to me was
interested in, and as long as he or she approved of it, everything was going to be fine. It worked with Bakugan, Pokemon cards, and new video games, but one situation got all to
real. In fact, it was what began molding me into what I am today; even if that really isn't saying much, here we go.

We were all in a quiet part of our neighborhood, and while they would look at porn magazines I, being the type of person I was, read a small book inside the porn magazine. The idea of just looking at naked girls seemed immature to me. One of the older kids saw what I was doing, and grabbed my book to see what all the secret was about.

“What ya' got there Achy?” I almost sighed at the thought. When I was younger no one really knew how to pronounce my name; nor had they respect for the Hero of Greek mythology. Not that I had much love for it either, though it was very interesting which made it worth having. Back to the story at hand.

“Give it back Jarvus. Don't be an idiot.” That only succeeded and making him angry. He started waving it around for everyone to see; this made me all the more embarrassed, and when embarrassed people tend to do even more embarrassing things. For example, I chased after this kid with tears running down my face. This had to be the single-handed most embarrassing moment of my life, after which I got my whole act together. It wasn't that hard really with me already being considered a ingenious prodigy
in a private school in Manchester. My parents were so proud of me already. My situation now must be the punishment for all of that pride. Anyway that wasn't quite the end of my small sad tale.

“Give it back!” I yelled over and over because with all honesty I loved that book. I can even recall the name and author. The Green Mile by Stephen King. He is one genius of a man by all counts.

“Go jump in the lake you faggot!” He yelled this right back at me spitting in my face. This made me extremely angry, and I ran and pushed him on his back.
My so called friends, since elementary, had his back showing me that I had no real friends at all. This changed the old me, making room for the new me. In other words, it awakened an awareness inside of me. An awareness that molded me into a different person with a different perception. That is exactly what has happened to me today. A new awareness has now been presented, and as it happened six years ago, it must happen now. So that night something had began to mold inside me. Something that was hard, but at the same time very tenacious. I felt it go from the bottom of my spine, to the right lobe of my brain where almost everything was controlled.

What might have taken years for any other person took me exactly one night to sustain. It wasn't a simple case of being upset with them. It was like a light lit inside of me, and I payed to God that it would do more good than bad. In the morning I
would hold completely different standards, and my three friends would be deleted. People that I have gone up and down with for three years with,will be erased from my acquaintance list. There should be no need to ask about Sabrina because since my awareness awakened I saw the bad in her that I should have seen earlier that day.
I also saw that I was able to withstand her dark temptation.

I woke up the next morning and splashed water on my face. When I looked into my eyes, I noticed that they looked different. Darker perhaps? In fact, I looked like a whole new person; at least from the perspective of me looking from the inside to the outside. I looked almost evil and dead like. Whatever had taken place here had taken
away my very soul, or came very close to doing so. I walked into the common's for breakfast and everyone was looking at me somewhat strange. Like I was wearing some new style, but it couldn't have been new because we all wear the same thing. Then Jackie Miller came out of nowhere like he meant business. Slinky George hastily followed from behind.

“Hey Achilles wait up man.” I didn't slow down. Now since I had a night sleep about this, it seemed like this whole altercation meant nothing. It made it especially hard not to talk to them, but not quite impossible.

“Slow down man we want to talk to you about yesterday.” I stopped and stared him straight in the eye.

“Talk.” I said in a somewhat gravelly voice. I hoped I didn't sound like I was crying. Not because I was, but because I wasn't. They looked at me, and then they seemed to notice something was off about me. It didn't seem to have such an impact because they went ahead and started to talk anyway.

“We don't really believe in God. We have to let you know that first off, and second off we're really sorry for making you believe that we were when we really weren't. We just thought you were our friend that's all, and when I told you I figured that you wouldn't mind.” I shook my head, trying my hardest to avoid a sigh.

“It doesn't matter anymore. I can't trust someone who's lied to me for three years straight with a smile on my face. Go and sit with each other, and thank you very
much for the last three years of my life. You really did make a difference.” He tried to take my shoulders, but I shrugged him off. Until he had made some type of peace with God, I could never be his friend again. They've made their decisions, and I've made mine. This time they let me walk away as I myself felt a little colder each step. I hope they make it. Not just for my sake, but for theirs as well. That day it was very warm with
a bitter, cold wind.

Chapter 5: Ascension
It had been three months since I had even bothered talking to the three of my friends. Well, at least two of them because I hadn't seen Sabrina since that day we had lunch together. The jail was no longer as fun as it used to be. As a matter of fact, it was exactly as it was supposed to be for criminals. It was sad, depressing, misleading, and very lonely. I could feel my eyes getting darker, and my legs starting to give away to tiredness, but there was one thing that I knew. I still had God on my side. I always did before too, but now I could feel it. I could feel it in a way that most people could feel the water around them while under water. That's how great his power is. I'm overwhelmed and trapped in it, but I'm also grateful because my cup truly ran over.

Even in my darkness and despair, even with the chains of confinement clamped over my arms and legs I feel the same happiness that a normal man would feel. I knew now without a doubt that my God would get me out of here. Yes, without doubt
now. I feel that anything can happen. Then one day three years and 6 moths after I was put in this place I actually watched the news, and saw the best new since I found Melody those long three and a half years ago. There was a familiar looking police officer who was using my name, and shouting to a crowd. They looked like they were quite interested in the matter. My eyes became glued to the television after that, and I had every right to be. I looked to the sky and asked God right out.

“Is this what you planned?” Not being able to take in the amount of happiness I was having, I dropped to my knees and laughed out loud. Then what he was saying finally started to each my ears.

“This man did nothing! He was simply someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. This girl was the victim of racist kids who had nothing better to do but mess with a “black” girl.” He was going on about the case in away that I would never be able to in my lifetime. Then a scripture came to me.

With man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible. Then a tear came trickling down my eyes. He really did it for me. At that moment it became obvious what college I should go to. I should go to a christian school, and join a ministry
somewhere. Is this what he hand planned for me? First things first. I can't go all about blabbing this all about. I had to make sure it was real. Then a bell sounded.

“Achilles Brown, you are to stand by. You will be escorted out of the jail tomorrow for a extended or permanent amount of time.”

“There you are.” He seemed to say. “You had so little faith, but now you will believe.” It was like He was talking to me word for word through blessings, and
Bible scriptures. I'd never felt so fulfilled, but I knew I had a long way to go before I obtained what most saints have had for a long time. As I was escorted to the Warden's office I had a wonderful feeling in my gut. Thought like the way to becoming
a great saint, I had a long way to go to achieve true happiness as well. The next day I was transferred back into town. The feeling was very nostalgic; I never thought I'd see this place again as a young man. Outside there were angry people. There were also people that just looked interested. It reminded me of how a festival would look. There were cameras, loud crowds, and, of course, food. The driver who was escorting me caught my wandering eye.

“You must be some type of celebrity young boy. I've been seeing your face on the news all week. You mind telling an old fella what it's about?” I felt a knot in my throat at the thought of telling someone all that's happened. I decided to tell him a hint of what happened, but the hint, if seen in a certain light, can be the whole truth.

“I was framed.” I laughed inside myself; yes the whole truth indeed. He looked at me in a way that said he didn't believe me, but he had no choice when he saw the hand-cuffs on my hands. The look on his face almost made me burst out in a laugh, but that would have been rude.

“You're so young. What could you have done to get so much attention?” He asked this while dropping me off at my presumed destination, but there was no way through. There were too many cameramen. I looked at him with a maddening look in my eye.

“My point exactly my friend. What I did here was absolutely nothing. It's who I am and what I look like that has gotten me into this situation. This town has few virtues for my kind, and I guess now it has been exploited to the public and all in due time.” I gave him a wave as I was taken out of the vehicle when the officer came to get
me. Pictures were taken, questions were asked. All that didn't matter because I was looking forward to one thing, seeing my family. From what I know about them, they wouldn't want to miss something as big as this on someone like me. The perfect boy
with even more perfect grades is framed. What a bloody riot.

As they got me into the building and I actually saw my parents I realized that it was my turn to start asking questions. How was it possible for this to happen? Though right as the thought went through my head, a verse from the Bible that I
remembered recently rang in my head. With men it is impossible, but with God all things are possible. It rang in my head over and over until my parents had to, as they said it, “snap me out of it”. It was then, that once again, God is real. He is very real, in fact once you saw it in a certain light, it was blatantly obvious.

“Achilles we have such good news!” Screamed my mother very excitedly, and she strained herself to continue, but my father grabbed her shoulders. Whenever he did that it meant that he needed to say something that would put the whole affair in order. He walked up to me, and when I looked at him I became so sad. He was like a shadow of his former self from three years ago. He didn't look quite like my father now that we were the same height. He touched me very lightly on the shoulder as if he were passing on a very sacred tradition.

“Son, I believe you know the truth in this matter. I believe you know how to explain exactly what happened.” He was handing me my right to think as a man, and as a man I had to give my perceptive. It's a sort of lesson he taught me while I was young. I smiled with tears in my eyes, and took my responsibility without pride. I took it with an ounce of understanding, and with that my boyhood was over with my manhood beginning.

“Well there was an officer who saw my state after the time I assaulted an
officer. I wasn't fed for the next five days, and it's a miracle that I'm alive. He saw me
and stared in wonder, and a sort of outrageous gleam. He told me that he didn't sign up for this, and that he would get this into the light so that justice may be done. He left after that, and I never saw him again until he was saying my name on the news. In other words, if it weren't for that man, I wouldn't be standing here talking to you. Though above all it was God, I prayed daily for this to happen.” My father took me in one of the most suffocating hugs that I've ever had the fortune of having. Or misfortune, it depends on how you look at it. My mother joined in as well, and I felt myself start to get worked up because pictures were being taken in the process of this family reunion. Then I thought about how insensitive that thought was. Celebrities had to deal with this type of thing all the time, and I couldn't deal with it the only time it would happen to me.

“I feared being in that jail that long would mess with your mind, but once again you've proven yourself to be one of the smartest men I ever knew.” Tears were starting to come out of my eyes; to have my own father say that to me was some type of blessing. With all the lessons and what not, I always thought that he'd only instruct me until I was perfect. Though I never thought that me saying what I just said, and being who I am alone would have been enough. I felt, for a moment, something that was close to being fulfilled. At last, even if it was for a moment, I could be at piece.

“It's nice to see a beautiful family coming together.” I turned around to see the officer from the jail I was at. Except this time the look on his face, was not bordering
madness. This was the face of a man that had accomplished something, and it was a great feat indeed. I turned to shake my hand, but he gave me a hug. I pulled back to show my appreciation.

“Thank you so much for what you've done. I never would have thought you would go this far.” Then I asked the question I've been wanting to ask since I got here.
“Why did you do it?” He looked at me in a way that said he wouldn't tell at first, but after a moment he softened.

“I did what God told me to do.” It was the sentence that filled my heart with
so much thankfulness. He really did bring me through the storm. I would spend the rest of my life trying to thank him for it, and learning more about him. I knew that now. It wasn't over yet though, they wouldn't let me go like this. After all I still had my handcuffs on.

“What's going to happen now? I'm here, but what for?” With those two questions, all the worry and age came back on to my father's face. He was about to say something, but the officer touched his shoulder, and shook his head. Then he looked at me, and held out his hand.

“My name Jeffery Chambers, and I'm going to be the one that explains what will happen. Though I think you'll want me to start from the beginning.” He looked at me to confirm this, and of course I did.

“Yes, that would be very much appreciated.” He nodded and began his long tragic tale.


Jeffery

After I submitted my transfer, I went back to my house and sat down on my couch for a long time thinking about what I should do about this. Who should I talk to? Where should I begin? I had given up my whole career on this one decision, but really why? I felt a strange buzzing in my head, as anyone who just ran out of adrenaline would. I had to call someone I could trust to deal with this, but who could I trust here with news like this? Well I knew one knuckle-head crazy enough to have an idea.

I sighed because it just had to be this knuckle-head. Though by knuckle-head you'd never thought I was talking about my son. There is a saying going around that says “you either believe what you read, or believe what you read”. Well this would be a case of believing what you read; that is if you choose to believe it. When my wife walked in with him, she stopped as soon as she saw my face.

What's wrong Jeffery? You look like you ran a marathon. Did you get fired or something?” I smiled at her casual response to my weary face. She always like that. She could have come home to find that are home was missing, and would have
reacted the same way. That's why I loved her. Here patience was a force to be reckoned with.


“No Elaine, I transferred.” I said getting up and going to the kitchen for coffee. She nearly drooped her groceries.

“Why would you do that? I thought being an officer was your preordained destiny.” She started taking the food out of her bag and getting it ready for when she cooked it. I took off My uniform, letting the uncombed parts of my hair fall on my forehead.

“Those jailers are crooks Elaine. They left a kid in the box without feeding him for five days. It's a wonder how he survived.” She started cutting the vegetables and putting oil in the skillet. “Come on Elaine, fried veggies again?” She turned and took three big slabs of meet and threw them on the counter wood.

“Who said anything about fried veggies dear. Anyway continue, what else did they do to this boy?” I swallowed down all of my coffee.

“It wasn't just him Elaine. It's how they do things in general. I'm thinking about exploiting all of the things they've been doing up to now because God knows it
isn't legal. If I were to do that Elaine, would you support me?” She never missed a beat.

“Now Jeffery you know that I'd never leave you. Not as long as God has my heart.” My mood began to darken. Why did she have to bring God in every single
meaningful conversation we had? Did she love him or me? I scoffed and because of that, her mood began to darken as well. Though she didn't show it. She never showed one ounce of emotion if she could help it.

“I'm sorry Elaine it's just that I don't understand what's so good about this God. Have you ever seen him? Has he ever talked to you?” She looked at me in a way that said that she had just about given up.

“You really are blind. I don't what he's going to do about you.” My confusion started to flare. My anger at the unknown started to over power my my senses, and everything started to go black. I couldn't see. All I felt was darkness, and all I heard were the sounds of hushed whispers going into my ear. I tried to move, but I couldn't. The whispers kept getting louder and louder, and after a while I couldn't take it anymore. I screamed and screamed as loud as I could, but it changed nothing. I sat for that darkness for what seemed like an eternity.

When I came to, the whole house was a mess. There was crying coming from the back room. I started to look for it. My head. My head was hurting, and I wanted everything to stop for that moment. Or at least until I was able to get myself together.

“Stop all that yellin'! I yelled to no one in particular. I was probably just yelling it to yell it. For some reason I was really messed up. I kept looking. Searching for the source of that unbearable sound. For the light in the darkness, and there it was
sitting in a closet next to my bedroom. There they were sitting in the closet bruised, and bloodied. Probably no longer able to stand. My son was sitting in my wife's arms shaking badly, while my wife looked at me with a lucid fear in her eyes.

“What did I do this time Elaine? What did I do?” Bitter tears started to
crawl down my face, and I ran from the closet with my tail between my legs. How could I have ever called myself a man with this time of condition. I needed help, but who could help me? I was just a broken man that the world didn't need anymore. I had no worth at all. A few hours later, my wife came in my room to sooth me and whisper in my
ear. I shrugged her off. What is it that attracted her to me? Why was she so persistent?

“Jeffery, just calm down. I'm only here to help you. Everything's going to be fine.” I could tell by the sting in her voice that she still had tears coming out of her eyes, and that made me hate myself even more.

“Why do you put up with me? I've done nothing but hurt you and our child. Just let me be.” She started to rub my shoulders in a massage like manner, and whispered the most unexpected answer.

“Because I love you.” With those words there was an awakening of sorts within me. I suddenly understood the things around me, and where I was going if I didn't fix them fast enough. I turned around to face her, and said what I meant with all of my heart.

“I want to love you Elaine. I'm going to get help, and I will start going to church on Sundays. I'll do it for you, and that child in there.” She gave one of those rare smiles that made me want to love her all the more. I had made up my mind. I would become a christian man just like she wanted me to be. Then I would save that boy from those jailers if it was the last thing I'd do.

“I knew you would come through Jeffery. I just kept on praying for you, but are you really serious?” I nodded at her and this time she fell into my arms, and I couldn't blame her. All the times she had to deal with my anger strikes, and all the times she had to clean them up. I looked up at the ceiling, and prayed to God that everything would be alright. That is if he existed. I prayed that if he did this one thing, then I would
change for good. I would convert to Christianity for the rest of my days.

“I'm very serious. Let me be a man for once, and prove to you that I could
actually be a good husband and father.” For the rest of that day, when she showed me
how, we payed that God would bless all of us. We prayed that he might let the sin within
us be quieted. According to my wife, Paul spoke on this in the bible.

“For I was alive without the law once, then the commandment came, sin revived, and I died. And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.” I read this with her, and didn't understand one thing he was saying. Even so, she
broke it down for me. Basically what he's saying is that he didn't know what wrong was until the law told him, and because he knew and still sinned he fell short. She also explained a few scriptures further down.

“For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For which I do I allow not: For what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Now then it is no longer I that do it, but the sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me(that is, the flesh) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.”

She explained that this is saying that man can't be righteous by ourselves. We need God to be anything other than a sinner because to sin is in our nature. She explained that for man it is impossible, but for God all things are possible. These scriptures basically tell you to ask God to give you one mind because there is no good in us. Now that I think about it, it makes more since.

“Do you get it now Jeffery? You can't do this alone.” She said this while rubbing my shoulder. “That's why you need God in your life.” I looked back at her with
a smile. For the first time I was actually starting to believe that.

“I get it just fine Elaine. I'll go with you, and be baptized.” She clapped her
hands and thanked God for all he had done. The way she smiled made her seem so
perfect. She looked just like she did in high school, and out of my own will I thanked him for that.

.
.
.

That Sunday the preacher preached a sermon. He preached a good sermon that anyone would have called nothing short of fantastic. He preached on about a prophet named Elijah, who was able to perform miracles. He was important to God because he himself was allowed to ascend into heaven. Then he taught on how he was reincarnated as John, who was a prophet in the new testament that told the coming of Jesus himself.

I never would have thought I would have learned so much about the bible on my first Sunday. After the service. Someone whispered in his ear, and he looked around until his eyes met mine.

“Hold on saints.” He said lifting his hands motioning for everyone to settle down. “It seems we have a new member in the church today, and it also seems that he wants to be baptized in Jesus name.” There was an explosion of applause, and a union of the word amen from the saints. “Would you be so kind as to come up here my brother...” I stood up so I could formally introduce myself.

“My name is Jeffery, and I want to say that I came here to change my ways. I really do want to love the Father, so if you could keep me in order that would be fine.”
The whole church burst into applause once again. Though as I looked around I noticed that there were skeptical expressions being directed at me. I wonder what could have made them look at me like that. Was me trying to receive salvation illegal? Or were they
trying to judge me their selves? I may not have been in church long, but I knew that there was only one judge.

“Come on up here and let us welcome you the right way, and I want to pray for you. This decision your making right now is the most important you'll ever make in
your life.” I nodded at that with a certainty. Then I felt a light feeling in my stomach. I
felt like there were butterflies there, but I wasn't nervous. Then without a doubt in my mind I knew what it was I was feeling. Happiness. Happiness because of the fact that I was finally going to do something right. The Pastor was right. I was making the most important decision of my life, and probably the best as well. After I do, If the good Lord is willing, I'm going to do something to get that boy free.

After church I was taken to a creek that was at the edge of the town woods, and was changed into a long white robe. I was talking to my wife because I was getting nervous. Our son was playing around the water with the other kids.

“That water looks pretty cold Elaine. You sure this is the right thing to do? Couldn't we have just went into a normal bath?” She put her finger to her lips and smiled at me.

“You'll be fine. He's not going to drown you in it. It's just a little tap.” She pecked my cheek, and pushed me in the Pastor's direction. I composed myself, and started to walk toward him myself. He turned around and greeted me with a hug. He had on a black robe that was as long as mine. It went all the way down to his feet.

“Are you ready for the baptism.” I looked at his dark face, and his closely shaved head. I decided I would trust this man.

“Yes, I am ready Pastor. We can begin this on your mark.” He nodded and turned around raised his hand signaling for everyone to gather around for the event. When every gathered, he started a speech on how it is important for Christians to be
baptized in Jesus name for the remission of sins. He explained that this was the only way
to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. I waited patiently as he grabbed my arm leading me into the water. A few others followed as well just in case something would go wrong. Though I doubted it would. Once we got to a certain part, or a spot that was deep enough
for me to go in, he stopped and covered my head with his cold hands. He started praying
to God, and I started to feel good inside. The only words I heard him say were “In the name of Jesus”, and those were the only words I needed to hear to confirm that he was doing it right. I closed my eyes, and at that moment he dipped me in the water. I was out as fast as I was in, and I felt renewed. Stronger somehow. I felt filed with something, and all of a sudden tears started to come down my face.

For some reason I felt a deep sadness. A sadness that no man should ever feel, and I felt love. For the first time in my life I actually felt love. I knew it was love because it was what he did for us. He died so that we wouldn't have to. My understanding was fully awakened. “The wages of sin is death”. It was all finally starting to make since; he truly did save us from our sins. If it wasn't for him I would still be where I was just earlier this week. It was like I was stepping out of something, or being free of something. Also, it felt like a big weight was being lifted off of my shoulders.

While I was thinking all of this, I was shouting his name. I was really thanking him for what he's done. He's done so much, so much that I can not tell it all. I will never be able to because he doing things all the time. When I came to myself everyone else was shouting like I had been. Then the Pastor came in front of me with a look in his eye.

“Brother Chambers, do you want to change? Do you wish to receive the gift of eternal life? That is, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and be with our Lord and Savior
forever and ever?” I looked at the sky and answered.

“What must I do to be saved Lord?” The Pastor answered.

“You must repent and confess all of your sins to him, and then you will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Will you repent?” I answered immediately.

“Yes, Lord I'm sorry for all the things I've done!” It wasn't just out of my
mouth. My prayer came from my heart as well, and in the, that's what I think he was looking for. When I calmed down, everyone was around me. They were patting me on the back, comforting me with love. I smiled as I looked at this church. They were welcoming me, and they were congratulating me for my new relationship with Christ.

That night I couldn't sleep thinking about all of that I went through this week. I would live a very good life for him, and obey him. I know that if I make a mistake it can be forgiven because we all fall short. I wondered at what he'd want me to do first. There was a flicker of wind and a magazine that was on our dresser fell into our fish bowl which fell off of the dresser now empty of it's water. Elaine woke up to this immediately.

“Oh my goodness Jeffery get him out of there!” I quickly went into our room's bathroom and filled up the bowl, and put him back in. It seemed like he was still alive, so I let out a sigh relief and went back in the room to pick up the book. When I picked it up, I noticed the name on the magazine was awfully peculiar. Save him, was the name on the title. I put it on the shelf, and remembered right when I fell asleep. The boy, I had to save the boy. Why would God want me to save him besides the obvious? I didn't want to worry about something that I would find out later, and soon after everything went black.

When I woke in the morning, I was getting ready as usual, and was sitting
at the kitchen table when my son came and sat at the table. He was really quiet, almost hesitant. I almost punched myself in the gut for what I had forgotten. What I did affected
him too. He might end up worse off if I don't do anything to completely rectify this. So on the way to his school I tried to start conversation.

“So, anything on your mind that you want to talk about sport?” He shook
his head looking forward the whole time. It looked like it was killing him to sit there,
and the thought of that was killing me. As I dropped him off, I looked up to the sky and asked God what I was going to do. Later that day I tried to talk to him again, but he just never wanted to. Though I must have been getting closer because I saw a look of confusion on his face when he was on his way to his room. Something was coming. That was for sure.

One day, about a month later it did happen. I was greeting him at breakfast when he snapped.

“Why are you so different now?” I looked at him, momentarily caught off guard. Taking that chance he took his breakfast and ran out of the door. I tried to run after him, but he had already taken his bike and disappeared around the corner. I tried to rush after him, but it was too late.

“Elaine, Jeremy ran off somewhere!” She came down stairs apparently just ready.

“Oh my goodness. It's finally happened. Get the keys, we're going after him.” I did exactly as I was told, and before a minute passed we were out on the road looking for our son. Me personally, I was a mess.

“Please God protect our son.” You see it was a very dangerous time of the week. There was a big storm, and very heavy rain. Possible flooding. If we didn't end it all now, it would never end. We kept looking and looking. We even called the school on
some last hope that he could be found, but he couldn't. We even called some of the other church folks to help us out, but to no avail. After it got too late to search we went home,
and prayed that he would make it, but we waited that whole day. The only thought I had was where my son could be this late at night.

With that last thought, and the thought of my Savior I went into a long,
quiet sleep.

Chapter 6: Damnation
Jeremy
I just keep running and running. There was no way I was going to trust that man. Not after all that my mother and I had been though. He's just acting nice. I'd rather be on my own than have to deal with it everyday. Tears were coming down my eyes, and I stopped and I looked at my surroundings. There were woods and the creek nearby, but besides that I couldn't recognize anything else. On top of that the storm was getting worse. It looked like we would be flooding again. I hoped it wouldn't. I don't know what I'd do. I started to run in the direction I thought was to the school, but I only ended up in
the deeper woods. I was scared now. What was going to happen to me? Why did I run away from them? How could I be so stupid? I looked up to the sky. Should a boy who's
never really prayed before, pray to a God he doesn't believe in?

“Please help me.” I prayed. “I just don't want to get hurt again; I didn't
meant to cause any trouble. Please help me this once.” When came to from my praying, the rain was still heavy, and the creek was starting to flood. I started to run away from it; just in case it actually started to flood over me. People have been calling it a creek for a long time, but it had the ferocity of a raging river. I started running opposite of it, but
before I could make it even a yard away from where I stood, I tripped. I immediately tried to get back up again, but then I felt a pain in my left leg. It was so intense that I screamed out loud.

“Somebody help me!” I shouted at the top of my lungs, but there was no one there. I could only hear the pat of the rain as it dropped down harder and harder. I was out right sobbing now. Though there was nothing that could be done. I started trying to crawl away, but it only made the pain worse. After a few minutes I stopped trying to move at all. My clothing was all muddy, and my face mud streaked as well. I waited patiently for someone to help, but it seemed like no one was coming. Seconds turned to minutes, and minutes turned to hours. I could feel the water level rising, and lowering on my body. I sat up and tried to move, but the pain made sure I stayed where I was. Everything started to go black for a few minutes because of the numbness in my leg, and when I woke up the water level was higher than that. This was an actual flooding.

I had to think of something quick, but what could I possibly do now that I couldn't move. Then it hit me. I felt so stupid; I've had a cell phone with me the whole time. How could I have possibly missed that? I pulled it out trying not to get my hopes up so much, but I couldn't help it in the end. Because of that I was even more disappointed then I should have been. The phone wouldn't even turn on. Without any type of warning, light began to turn to dark, and the water was still rising. It was almost to my neck now, and if I didn't do anything about it then I wouldn't make it. Think. Think. Think. A girl's voice came into my head.

“When you pray nothing's too hard. Just put it in his hands.” My voice came in as well.

“Shut-up Angel, you don't know anything. I don't even believe in God.” She made a genuinely shocked face and put her hands on her cheeks.

“If you don't believe in God, how are you supposed to make it to heaven when you die?” I shrugged her off that day, and didn't talk to her at lunch that day. That was a whole year ago when we were in fifth grade. It seems like it's been forever since I talked about God with her, but it's only been since Sunday. Those last words just kept going through my mind.

“If you don't believe in God, how are you supposed to make it to heaven when you die?” I was in that type of situation now, and no one was here to save me. I began contemplating on praying again. There was no other way for me to escape.

“Please help me please. I'm on my last leg. If you can, please get me out of here.” I couldn't take much more; my whole body had been numb for a while and I was beginning to see the black spots again. I was going to die. I knew that now. The water was up to my my nose. I could barely breathe through it. I was slowly conscious, and after a few minutes there was only darkness. As soon as there was darkness there was light, and I walked.......
.
.
.
Ambulance Man





This was the third flood in the last six months. More floods than we had in the last twenty years. My job was to supposed to be looking for bodies, or looking for
someone who might need help. I doubted there was anyone stupid enough to even go out here doing a storm. Little did I know that in about half an hour I would be proved wrong. I was making my way through the woods, by the creek when I saw a little boy, around eleven or twelve, unconscious in knee deep water. I got him out as quickly as I
could, but I feared it may have been too late. I had no idea how long this kid had been
like that. I called another unit to help me carry him to the hospital, and to get a hold of his relatives. After that I had to check if he was breathing, or if his heart was still beating.
Jeffery

That morning we awoke to men knocking loudly on our door. I prayed that God would protect us, knowing that our lives were in his hands. I took a bat out of my closet, and started to close in on the door.

“Who is it? Do you know how early it is?” They sounded like they were speaking among themselves for a minute, and then one decided to answer.

“We're from the hospital. We've received word that you are the father of Jeremy Chambers. I'm afraid we have some news for you.” I opened the door immediately, right before I called my wife down. She hurried in with her long silk robe on.

“What happened to our son? Is he alright?” They looked at each other, and
shook their heads. Their representative stepped in front to tell the news.

“Ma'am your son is in a coma. He was found unconscious under water.
The doctors say his condition is stable, but they have no idea when he will wake up. If it is any consolation, he's very lucky. Anyone else would have been...” He let the sentence
trail off, leaving us to know and feel the unspoken word. I put my wife into my arms trying to comfort her, and myself as waves of guilt went through me.

“So our son is in a coma, and you don't know when he'll get out of it?” He nodded.

“It could be any minute, day, hour, month, year.” Panic started to rise in me,
and my retort scared even myself.

“Are you saying that he could be in a coma for years?” The representative shook his head sadly.

“What I'm saying Mr. Chambers, is we don't know when your son will wake up, or if he will wake up at all.” My wife fell to the ground, no longer able to suppress he sobs.

“Not my boy Jeremy. Not my boy.” I pulled her close, and looked at the men at our door. They nodded, and knowing that it was their cue to leave, walked out of the door. Meanwhile my wife and I sat there grieving for what could have been offers before she pushed me away.

“What is it Elaine? Are you okay?” She started to wipe away her tears, and gradually straighten herself up.

“We need to pray sweetie. We need to pray to God about our son.” Yes, if anyone could fix this it was Him. We joined hands after she found a covering for her head; after that she motioned for me to start. It is customary in the bible days for the man of the house to pray for the family. Without the man there is no teaching. Without the women there is no order. This is all explained by Saint Paul in the New Testaments of the Bible.

I grabbed her hands, and I started to pray to the Lord to help our son. I
closed my eyes as tight as I could, and got rid of any doubt that I had in my heart.

“Lord, if you be willing, please protect our son. Please let him live Lord, and if it is no burden, I pray that you bless his heart Lord. I also ask that you let him be closer to you, in Jesus name. Amen.” I opened my eyes, but I saw my wife was in a realm of her own with God. Her eyes were close, but her lips were still moving. The words that were coming out were unintelligible. I closed my eyes and continued to pray
with her, and right when we were at our loudest, there was the sound of thunder above us. I was pretty sure it was followed by a lightning strike as well.

When we were finished praying, we decided to go to the hospital as well. It wasn't easy. The floods were pretty high from the night before, and it didn't look like they were going to clear up anytime soon. So I went up to the attic, and got two pairs of rain boots. I put them on myself and went outside before letting my wife do it. When I was satisfied we began to walk toward the town hospital. Despite the floods, it was a beautiful day to be walking out, and it wasn't for our son's condition we would have had
a good time. I was deep in thought when Elaine interrupted me with something.

“This is a test. I know it's a test, and if we keep believing our son will be fine.” It is said that a when there's a storm in your life, a blessing is near. Hopefully the Lord will let this be a blessing, or even a miracle.

“Elaine, I'm worried that this might be my test. What if he's like that because of what I put you two through.” She looked at me, like she would a stray that was out in the rain.

“Of course not Jeremy. The Lord would never send us something that was too hard for us to handle. It's the wrath of the Lord that you should be afraid of.” I thought about this; since I did ask for repentance, he wouldn't just leave me like that.
Of course not, he would send a test to make my faith stronger. I wish I would have
known earlier.

“I believe in him.” I said out loud. “I believe that all things will tun out well in the end because I believe that's what God wants. I also believe that's what Jesus wanted in him.” My wife nodded at me, happy for my newly given understanding. We can't just say things will happen for ourselves. Who are we that we can judge these things. There is only one judge and one lawmaker, and his name is Jesus. There's a verse
in the book of James that says something similar.

“Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life?
It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that. But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil. Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”

This basically means to not get too far ahead of yourself when you know God is pulling the strings. Never judge, because who are you in the presence of the true God?
.
.
.

When we got to the hospital to see our son, we noticed that we were not the only ones with a problem. There were more families there with worried looks on their faces. Sometime we would see them crying when the doctor delivered news, and we thanked God that our son was so blessed. Out of all the people who did actually die.

We went to the desk to ask about our son, and got told we had to wait like everyone else. There were a lot of people so we knew we would be there for the remainder of the day. I couldn't stop thinking about that boy from the jail. He just came to my mind, and my wife reacted like she'd read it.

“Charity starts at home first Jeffery. We can get to the details later.” I gave
her a smile, and she smiled back in a way that put all of my unease to rest. I was glad God had put her by my side. There was just so much to thank him for I just couldn't do
thank him enough. We waited about four hours before the person at the desk called our names.

“Mr. and Mrs. Chambers, your next up to see your son.” I'd never got up out of a chair so fast in my life.

“We're here ma'am.” I said feeling somewhat out of breath when we made it
up there. She nodded and smiled, and pointed to an empty hallway.

“Your son is in room 209. The doctor will be waiting for you there as well.” We looked at the way we were supposed to go.

“Thank you miss.” Said my wife as we hurried in the direction that would lead us closer our son. We didn't run, but we didn't quite walk either. When we finally made it there, it seemed like we were entering somewhere where an adventure was waiting inside, but we knew it wasn't. This was our son, and it was one of God's tests to prove how strong our faith was. The doctor came out before we moved in. He had a thick white beard, and was completely bald. His long, white coat made him look more like a scientist.

“You must be Mr. and Mrs. Chambers, come right in. I want to explain this to you as soon as possible.” We stepped into the all white room, and sure enough lying on a bed with wires in his arms. Elaine ran to him faster than I could even give her the credit for. She was touching his face, trying to find a way to comfort him. The doctor
looked at me with a blank expression, and I'm pretty sure my face mirrored his.

“Could we give her some time with him?” I asked. “We've been worrying all night. She won't cause any trouble.” The doctor held up his hands, and shook his head.

“I don't mind at all. It's very understandable considering the situation. I'll just explain his prognosis to you.” He went to his desk, and picked up a clipboard. This, so I thought, had my son's current condition on it.

“Is that it Dr.-,” I trailed off because I didn't know his name.” Once he found out that there were no formal introductions he hurried into one with me.

“I'm sorry. There have been so many visitors that I never really had time to properly introduce myself. My name is Dr. Steele, but you can call me Charles when I
am not on duty.” I nodded at that.

“Nice to meet you then, Dr. Steele.” I looked at the clipboard. “Now about the condition of our son?” There was a certain heaviness in his eye when I mentioned his work. He cleared his throat before he started to speak.

“Your son physically stable, but what we're really worried about is his brain. As you were presumably told, your son is in a coma.” I nodded as a sign of confirmation. “We can tell he is in a coma, but we can also tell that he isn't just sleeping. He's also dreaming.” I was confused.

“So your saying that he's dreaming. How exactly is this threatening?” Dr. Steele took off his glasses.

“He hasn't stopped dreaming Mr. Chambers. Usually a dream only last fort five minutes to a few hours. Though as soon as we checked, we found out that he'd been dreaming the whole time he was here. As a matter of fact, he's dreaming right this second. There is a question that we all have asked about him. Will he ever stop dreaming?” This conversation was beginning to make less and less sense. Why would my son's continuous dream be a problem for his mental health? I prayed to God that it wouldn't be fatal.

“So because he's been dreaming all this time, you're worried that his brain
might keep him like this permanently?” He nodded.

“Something like that Mr. Chambers. Something like that.” Though the reason I'm worried is because for him to stay here for an extended amount time will cost you a fortune. If it comes to worse, are you prepared for that?” I didn't even hesitate.

“Yes I am Doctor. I'll do anything if it means protecting my son's health. Was that all?” He looked a little taken back by what I just said, but I didn't care because
I wanted to really see my son. He cleared his throat again in that husky manner.

“Yes, that is all. Don't take too much time looking at him. We're really on a tight schedule here. At the most you have ten minutes.” I nodded happy that we at least
still had a son to look at. I ran over as soon as I could get, but it seemed like I couldn't get there soon enough. I patted my wife on the shoulder.

“How's he looking sweetie?” She looked back at me with the same smile she had when he was a sleeping baby.

“It looks like he's sleeping peacefully, and he's dreaming of something nice.” I looked at him, and she was right. He was really pale yes, but this wasn't the look of a dying boy. He looked like he could wake up at any moment. I guess Dr. Steele wasn't just babbling on to keep us listening. We prayed for him, and comforted him with what little time we had left, and sure enough Dr. Steele came to escort us out.

“Was your visit Satisfactory Mr. and Mrs. Chambers? Was it what you expected in the least?” Something was funny about how he said those words, and the questions themselves were unusual. That went without saying because when I looked at Elaine, her facial expression was mirroring what I felt.

“Yes, it was.” I answered with honest curiosity in my voice. “As a matter of fact, I was expecting something a little more depressing, but I guess the Lord blesses us
in these aspects doesn't he?” The doctor gave us a big smile.

“Yes, he does.”
.
.
.

When we got back from the hospital, an ambition rose within me. My hands
just moved. I started looking for the case he was in. The boy that was in the box. What did they call him? After a moment of thought I finally had it. Achilles Brown. I typed it in so fast that I only registered when I clicked the enter button. From what I could
collect, which wasn't much, he was involved in a murder case. Apparently he pushed a girl named Melody Lann from off of a school building when she was supposedly watching the view. The witnesses were supposedly friends of Melody, and tried to stop him but it was already too late. I didn't believe this for a second. It was just something that was put together in a hurry. There wasn't even a reason for the murder. It was just the fact that he did it.

There was no way I was going to lose this. Not if I go up high enough with it. I should start with the the city hall, and if that doesn't work I can just go to the state. I'm going to find out if their allegations were fake. As a matter of fact, as long as I have God, nothing should be turned askew. I started making calls. First to local radio stations. Most of them seemed interested enough, but it was just a matter of getting them to do it.

“Are you sure this kid is really innocent? How do we know that he didn't do it?” Those were the questions that I was getting. That meant that I needed solid evidence that this was a good kid. Then it came to me. How could I have been so blind. His parents should know him better than anyone else here. I could also do a background check of his life, or at least of his time at the school. It was all decided then; all I had to
do was get to work on it. Of course, if the Lord is willing. I was working on it from day to day, and the only time I wasn't was when there was church on Sunday. I also put time away to visit our dreaming son.

It took awhile, but I was finally able to locate his parents. Mr. and Mrs. Brown. The whole family was from Manchester where Achilles went to some of the most academic achieving schools in Britain. All at which he over achieved. I shook my head. This kid must have been gold medal smart. It showed me an endless amount of people I could contact from these schools, and all whom I did contact. None of them had one bad thing to say about him. They said he was never off, and was as ambitious as royalty. How then, and why would he commit a murder? Now was the time to contact
his parents. Who else would know more than they did. I just had to do my homework before I could contact them. This was the moment I had been waiting for. The phone rang once, twice. With each ring I could hear my heartbeat getting louder and louder. It was like I was in some type of television investigation, and if I went to far over the line I'd lose my life. The phone clicked.

“Hello, is this Mr. and Mrs. Brown?”

Jeremy




Light and Darkness. Darkness and light. They were both going on and on around me, so there was no particular order. I stood watching them for what seemed like an eternity, and it may seem strange but I didn't want to leave. They were so cool. Why would I want to stop watching them? Then as if appearing out of a mist, a girl came out of them. I had no idea who she was, but she was pretty. She had curly, black hair to go along with the biggest eyes. They were a dark color as well, but I don't know if they were black or brown. Her skin was almost light, but had a perfect amount of color to it so you would know that she was black.

I almost fell in love immediately, but then I also noticed that she was years older than I was. She was probably a grown up by the looks of it. Her presence drew me away from the light and dark, but I didn't notice this until much later. I just had to talk to her.

“Who are y-you?” I asked in a slippery voice. She smiled at me, and that smile almost made me go to sleep.

“Who do you want me to be? Your savior, or your destroyer?” Before I had
time to answer, I was falling. I was falling into nothingness, and then into nothingness again. It was like there was no end, or as if I was never allowed to reach it.

“Help me!” I shouted in a desperate attempt to cling to life. At once I felt a hand pulling me up. I breathed a breath of relief, and after that I looked to my rescuer. It
was the girl.

“It seems you have chosen.” She said in a soft condescending voice. I started to shake.

“What are you talking about” I asked. All of my attraction to her burned away. “I want to go home?” She smiled and tried to touch me, but I cringed away from her. Though the smile never left her face. She was very consistent, and for some reason I kept getting this vague feeling from her. No it wasn't a feeling, it was an aura. She started to speak.

“You will in time, but it is the state that you will be in when you go that you should be worried about. Little one, I am here to help you, as I have always been.” This was starting to creep me out. How had she been watching me before? I had never seen this woman in my life. Her smile was starting to wither.

“You have known me, and even before you were born I have known you. I am he whom you reject. Everyday of your life you have rejected me, and only in your
darkest experience have you acknowledged me. Do you wish to be saved or not?” I was starting to understand who this was, but it was not helping me calm down one bit. As a matter of fact, just the opposite.

“What should I call you then?” She looked at me with some understanding in her eyes, and then her body started to melt. No it could have been dissipation, or
simply vanishing. Though in her place was a fire. I fire that was hot, but could never burn.

“I am that I am. Though you know in your heart who I am, but you doubt
me and seek a sign. Have you so little faith in your God?” I looked at the fire in shock, and to my amazement, it grew eyes. I tried to run, but when I tried to move my limbs it they wouldn't budge. I couldn't even talk. I was completely paralyzed, forced to look at that thing. What was it anyway? As soon as I thought that, it glared. “You don't believe me.” I panicked.

“I didn't say that!” I yelled. The fire grew the brightest I had ever seen anything be in my life.

“I saw it in your heart. I made you, and yet you reject me in your heart. How many times have I seen you sin? How many times have I come to your need in just the years you've lived? I know the number of hairs on you very head. I am your God, and you deliberately disobey me.” I was shivering now from the fear of what it might do to me. I wasn't understanding anything it was saying to me. All of a sudden the light dimmed, and it's expression started to soften. I took this as a chance to speak.

“What are you going to do to me?” I had noticed for the first time that I was crying; it made me feel ashamed, but somehow very human as well.

“Fear not child. I will do nothing to you, but you will do it to yourself if you
do not hearken to my words. You must understand that there is no good thing in you, but
through the name. Though you have no part in me, therefore if you were die now you would lift your eyes in Hell. Do you understand this?” I nodded, and faced the ground. All those lessons I learned, and then I end up in a situation like this. Why me?

“Why did you-” I was interrupted by his voice.

“I did it because you needed guidance, and where else would you get it then from me?” I shook my head.

“Why would you do it?” The fire raised an eyebrow.

“Haven't you paid attention to my word? I love you, and it is only through
me that you will know love. I am the way, the truth, and the light.” I didn't believe it. I mean by now I did believe, but it was so amazing to have someone like this by my side.

“Thank you.” I said. The flame made a movement that suggested that it was trying to nod its' approval.

“I am not the only one who feels this love for you. There are others who are made perfect through me who can also give it. They are my children, and when they die they will receive my kingdom. They will no longer cry, or feel hunger. There will be no more sin. There will only be joy and happiness.” I started to feel good, and then I saw a place, a figure of a place. I can never completely share what I saw because my mind could never comprehend it. The whole city was gold, and it went as far as the eye could
see. The walls were made of this beautiful type of stone. I'm not sure, but I think they called it Jasper in the book of Revelations. Then it was gone. It was so beautiful; even though I could only see its' figure. I started to cry because it had been taken away.

“Weep not child; for if you follow my commandments, and receive my spirit one day you will have a mansion in the kingdom. Lust not of things on Earth, and put not your trust in man. Love Me as I have loved you, and put your trust in Me so that you will only prosper.” I kept crying because even though he was saying this, I didn't
deserve any of those things in the kingdom.

“I don't deserve it.” What else could I say in the face to the one I ignored and rejected all my life.

“I created you for a purpose. As soon as you began to live it was decided that you should die. Because of Adam all man has fallen short of the glory of God, but by the blood of the son you have another chance. When you return I will open up your understanding so that you can see these things clearly. If you so ask. You have not because you ask not.” I started to feel light inside. If I were to give my all to Jesus I
could sit with him in paradise.

“I ask you for understanding of the word. If it be in your will, please grant me the desires of my heart.” The fire closed it's eyes, and answered in a low auspicious voice.

“Let my will be done.” Then there was a giant light. Not like the type of light you might see in a room. I mean the type of light you would see in the sun. The type you would get burned by, but because I wasn't in my physical form I wasn't that much affected. Though I was affected. I could feel myself being lit on fire, but for some reason I couldn't feel any pain.

“Thank you.” I whispered. “Thank you so much for all that you've done for me.” I felt a warm fuzzy feeling inside of me, and I knew what it was. It was happiness. I had finally felt happiness. It was at this moment that I started to hear a consistent beeping noise next to me. My body as a whole felt heave, so I really couldn't move. Though that didn't stop me from trying. It was a mistake. As soon as I moved my leg flared up with pain, and I screamed. Then there was a rush of feet, and without warning someone entered the room.

“Your awake. I have to call your parents. You're finally awake!” Who
sounded overjoyed as if he thought that I'd never wake up. He was bald with a white beard. It sort of gave him that mad scientist sort of look. “It is so good to finally meet you. My name is Dr. Steele, and I've been taking care of you for the last four months.” My eyes widened. Was I really gone for that long? My parents must be worried sick.

“Where are my parents right now?” He gave me an excited look. They are downtown leading a protest to close down a jail. I believe with all the support they have,
they are winning.” I wasn't surprised that horrible place was getting brought down. It was sad though. It was the source of the scary stories my friends and I used to tell at our
sleepovers. I was curious to why my parents were the ones doing the bringing down. What did they have to do with it? Then I remembered.

“My dad used to work there.” The Dr. Steele's eyes just kept lighting up, and when he saw me staring he stroked his beard.

“That makes a lot of sense young man. Why don't you relax, and call the nurses to get you something to drink. It may be a while before you can really eat properly.” It wasn't until he mentioned eating that I started to feel my own hunger. It was like all the parts of my stomach were stuck together. I could hardly breathe. It's funny how the human brain works.

“Thanks Dr. Steele that would be great.” He nodded and walked out of the room. So I was asleep for four months. I imagined all I could have missed in that amount of time. I wondered about who would miss me as well. I silently asked God if he could lead me from now on. I don't ever want to end up like that again, and I don't want to disappoint him. I want to be saved like my mom, and end up in one of the mansions from the gold city. Of course if he is willing. I can't do anything without him really. It was really funny that I was just figuring all of this out now though.

“Hello?” Said a small voice from just outside of the door. “Is Jeremy in
here?” I laughed out loud. It was Angel of course, and she looked very different from when I last seen her. I felt that she was somewhat friendly. In fact, I found that I had been wanting to see my friend all along. After all she was the only one who could even get me to talk about church, even if it was to just insult her perceptions.

“Yes, I'm in here. Not feeling too well though.” She ran in and smothered me with a a gigantic hug. I'd never seen her act this way toward me. Can people change that much in four months?

“Everyone's been worried about you.” My eyes widened. I never thought
they would feel like that. I always that if something like this happened, everyone else would move on. When did the world start seeming so much more good. A voice appeared in my head.

“Who do you want me to be? Your savior or your destroyer?” That's right. God was making changes in my life. He'd been making changes in my life; I was just to blind to see it at the time. It was regrettable that I didn't go into my coma sooner.

“They were all thinking about me?” I asked already knowing the answer. She nodded at me tears threatening to fall down her eyes. I didn't get what she had to be happy about, all I did was tease her.

“Angel, I'm sorry about all the things I said about God when you were trying to get me into Sunday school.” She shook her head noticing for the first time that
I had changed a bit.

“It's fine as long as you know now.” I smiled and held one of her hands.

“I do understand now.” Her face blushed red, and she tried to turn away so that I wouldn't see it. Then without warning, twenty five more kids her age popped into the room. They were all cheering, or something of the like. It made me happy that they all came the day that I was awake. Even though I was suppose to be getting my rest.
They all came saying something different.

“And my mom said you wouldn't make it.”

“My mom and dad said he would be fine.”

“No they didn't. They said it was in God's hands.”

“You are all idiots for saying that.”

“Your an idiot for calling us idiots.” I laughed at all of their jokes, and continued to have a good time with them until the doctor came back in. He told everyone very nicely to exit the room so that I could get my rest. They all did so, but I
was glad that they were all happy going out. I was glad that they all knew that they were doing a good thing. I thanked God for them all, and then I passed out again.

Jeffery



Everything was going according to God's plan. He provided money, support, ideas, and many other things that don't come to mind this second. Through him I was able to expose the story of the young man who suffered at the enemy's hand. The one's who framed an innocent child will face their own damnation at their appointed time. God will do with them as he will. I stood in front of hundreds and thousands of people who thirsted for the freedom of the falsely accused. For the justice that should have conspired in the first place. It was my turn to face them, and tell them what needed to be done.

“There has been wrong done in this small town. Thousands of young black individuals with the exception of a few other races have been taken hostage by what they call a county jail. There are young men there that have done no wrong, but are
prosecuted in illegal ways by the jails' own officers. Trying to serve the time they were given for no reason, but not being able to because they are a different skin color. Did God say that a certain race had to rule the world? Did he say that every race should stay to themselves?” There were so many cheers, that I knew that I was saying the right thing. This was exactly the type of reaction that I was hoping for. God knowing that probably made it so to ease my nerves. The jail would soon fall, and its' condemnation would soon be final

Chapter 7: Confession
Selena
I sat around the room with everyone. We were all quiet, and it would have been complete silence if the television set wasn't blaring. No one was in a good mood, and no one had been happy for the last three or four years. Some of us had dropped out of high school, and hadn't been able to pick back up. The rest of us are in college right
now. That doesn't make it anymore easy to deal with. What we did was wrong, and we all know that. If we could go back into the past and fix it we would, but we can't. We can only move on, or risk getting caught and receiving a sentence.

Someone had taken that sentence for us. He was very smart, but we had long since forgotten his name. Looking at what we were seeing on the news, it wouldn't stay that way for long. There was a former officer leading a protest against the
seemingly innocent Achilles Brown. When we saw the pictures of the black boy, there
was no more doubt in our minds that it was him. There weren't so many stories of a boy that went to jail for a murder at his own school because they usually kill themselves before they get caught. Jonathan Benjamin, the former starting quarterback for our high school football team, decided to step forward about our situation first.

“So we all know the problem now. Everyone here is caught up. Now, what exactly are we going to do about it?” At first no hands went up, but we all knew that we would have to gradually come to a conclusion. I raised my hand first.

“How do we even know that his whole protest thing is going to work? They're may not be anything to even worry about.” On cue everyone else started saying what they had to say as well, and I thought we were all adults now.

“ Couldn't we just flee the state.”

“No that wouldn't be enough, we'd have to flee the country.”

“I don't want to leave. My boyfriend is here.”

“Why don't we just confess? I mean we did do it”

“No!” Everyone shouted at that person in union. Jonathan walked up to him, and lifted him by his shirt collar.

“Do you want to go to jail, and get raped everyday because you decided to do the right thing? Do you?” The guy was starting to shake. It was kind of gross.

“No I don't but-” Jonathan put his finger in his face.

“If we are found out, and find out that it was you who did it. I'm gonna beat the crap out of you.” He threw him on the ground and went back to where he was sitting. Presumably as if he were in deep thought. I began to talk since no one else wanted to. Not even my two best friends looked down. The death had affected me horribly years ago too, but I had gotten over it.

“Why don't we just come up with new evidence that supports us just in case
in case it does go that far?” My suggestion quieted the whole room. As always, I was the one to come up with a breakthrough for the situations we got ourselves into.

“How do you mean get evidence? It's not like we can go back in time.” I shook my head at him. No wonder he had such poor grades in school. I pulled out my phone, and waved it in the air.

“Who do you think paid for the lawyer we had during the trial? I can just
call him, and have him send some of the tapes so we can get some extra details on what happened when...on that day.” I said I was over it, but I still can't bring myself to say her name. Everyone seemed to relax when I said that. Not that we were any closer to having what we needed to defend ourselves. “Anymore questions?” I asked already ready to go home so that I could get my hair conditioned. Once again Jonathan stepped forward. If only he was like this in high school.

“What do we plan on doing once we have the evidence? The lawyer that you payed back then retired two years ago.” I turned to face him.

“What!” I couldn't believe this. Who were we going to use in case we do have to go back to trial? My idea is trash if we don't have him. The idea of me going to jail was more absurd than the thought of Jonathan being smarter than me. Jocelyn and Cassie tried to comfort me. They could always see if I was going through stress.

“It's okay Selena. We can still get the information we need from the scripts so that the judge can't sentence us. There are always options.” I looked up at them, and as I expected there were no happy looks. Who could be happy about trying to cheer up someone who was trying to get away with murder. It was absolute tyranny. There was so much maliciousness that I almost wanted to turn myself in. I started to cry, and they tried to comfort. Whoever said I was over this was an idiot. Oh yea, that was me.

“I'm fine. I'm just under a lot of stress. Shouldn't you be too? I mean look
what we're talking about. We're talking about how to keep a secret murder hidden for God's sake!” Jonathan pushed me against the wall faster than I would have thought possible. He pushed his face so close to mine that I could feel his bad breath.

“I'm not going to jail for anyone. Not anyone you hear me?” He was yelling now, and I was starting to get scared. I was afraid he was going to hit me like my father did. Memories started to form, but I pushed them away before they could surface.

“Get off of me. I can say whatever I want to!” He pushed me harder, and started whispering threats in my ear. I panicked, and started yelling again. Yelling in a way that wouldn't suit someone like me. My friends ran to my side.

“Get off of her you jerk-off!” He socked Cassie in her face, and then everyone in the room was on him.

“Get off me! If one of you three so much as whisper one word I, I swear I'm going to kill you!” They took him in one of the corners of the room to try to talk to him, but it seemed like he wouldn't calm down until he was satisfied. Cassie was crying now, and wouldn't look his way. Jocelyn wrapped one of her hands around her shoulders, and grabbed my hands.

“Let's get out of here. It was wrong to come here with them anyway. We can just come up with our own way of fixing this.” Cassie kept crying, but I nodded. Though I didn't tell them that I had already given up trying to pretend to be innocent. I didn't
want to feel anymore guilt. I thought I was over it, but I was just tired of having to deal with it. I had tried calling Melody's mother, but she had moved away a month after it happened. What exactly was I supposed to do? No. I know what to do; I'm just being selfish. I had to tell my two friends that I was turning myself in.

“Girls there's something I have to tell you.” They all stopped and looked at
me. Jocelyn answered.

“Can it wait until we get into the car?” I shook my head. I didn't think they'd want to drive home with me once they figured out what it was.

“No it can't.” I said quietly. They must have realized I was having a hard time saying it because they started to crowd around me. I hadn't even realized that Cassie had stop crying.

“What is it? You know we will always be here for you.” I looked at their faces, and I saw determined smiles that made me have more faith in my friends.

“I'm thinking of turning myself in.” I said with what I thought was a serious look, but might have been the look of the scared girl I was. They cringed away from me.

“What? What did you say you were doing?” I looked at he with a look of confusion on my face.

“I'm turning myself in. I don't think I can do this anymore. I feel like I'm trapped in something I can't pull myself out of. I just want to feel right again.” The both
of them looked at each other and laughed.

“You're not getting us put in jail because you feel like you did the wrong thing.” Jocelyn said this with something nasty in her voice. It almost seemed like she was getting angry for some reason. Cassie tried to get between us.

“Jocelyn cut it out. We have to hear her out!” Cassie was starting to have a hard time because now Jocelyn was walking toward me.

“Answer me. Just what do you think you plan on doing?” I looked at her with something like shock in my chest. She just said she'd be there for me in my face, and now she was tying to fight me? Was Jocelyn always like this? No, this must have been weighing on us all this way. Somehow making us all less human. I wish I would have come up with this earlier.

“I plan on confessing. What do you plan to do? Murder me?” She stopped
walking, and before I can see what her next move was I walked away. There was nothing more to say. Even my so call “closest friends” wouldn't help me with my problem. That meant I had to find someone who could. I drove home in silence. I don't know why, but I felt so much better in solitude. It was like there were no problems when the quiet rolled in. I turned on the radio to see if there were any good tunes to listen to. What came on just awakened my greater fears.

“Investigators have found evidence supporting Jeffery Chamber's radical
claim that Achilles Brown is is innocent of all charges from his trial three years ago. Chambers claims that he had an unfair trial because both the judge, and the jury purposely tried to put him in jail even though they don't know if he actually committed the crime. He also claimed that this is not the first time this has happened, but that there were also many other cases where young black males, and females have been falsely convicted. Not only that, but there have been rumors of the bad treatments of the inmates at the county jail. We have been told that if they are true, then the jail will be shutdown for good.” I was so shocked by what I was hearing that I almost ran into another car. I stopped and got out to check if the person was okay. He was a tall black man in a black suit. I had never seen him before, and when he caught me eye I saw no anger in them. I only saw understanding. How this could be I did not know.

“Are you okay Sir? I was distracted by something on the radio, and I wasn't concentrating on the road.” I rubbed my hand against my head. All of this stress was getting to me. I needed a way out of this.

“I'm fine young lady. Just fine, but you did give me a scare.” He paused and looked at me. “Are you okay?” I looked at him, and noticed for that my cheeks were wet. How long had I been crying?

“I'm fine. I've just been having a rough day, and I could really use some
help now. I don't know who to turn to though.” He smiled at me again. That same
understanding smile that he gave me earlier. Just who was this guy? He must have read my mind because after I thought this he introduced himself.

“I am the Pastor of the Apostolic church here, and I think I may be able to help. Of course if you'd let me.” I backed away. This guy was starting to sound like some kind of creep, but then I heard a noise from behind him. It was the sound of children laughing, and then the stern voice of a woman.

“Who are those people in your car?” He looked behind him with a certain carefulness, and when he turned back there was a look of happiness on his face. It was a face so happy that it made me feel happy. What was making him so happy? Was it God? I shook my head as he answered the question.

“That is my family. We were just going to a Bible study. What I meant when I said I could help you is showing you what God could do through a little understanding.” We're running short on time, but would you like to join us?” I thought it over, and decided that it wouldn't fit my schedule. I mean could God really fix this anyway. Where was he during the rest of my life?

“No thank you, but thanks for the offer. Maybe I'll check it out someday though.” He nodded, not looking the least bit disappointed. It was like he knew something I didn't. Were all Pastors like this? No I didn't think so.

“That's all well and fine.” He put his hand in his suit and pulled out a card
and handed it to me. “If you ever change your and want to contact me then use this. If you don't then the church is always opened.” I nodded at him.

“Thank you. This really means a lot.” He smiled a mystery smile.

“Your welcome, and anytime.” He started to walk back to his car, and was
obviously trying to calm down his wife and children. I got in my car as well and waved
at them for the last time before driving away. It was getting late. The sun was all but down. I had better get back to my dorm before curfew. I started for a near by gas station, and filled up the car enough to get me home. Not that I wanted to. Gas is like a thousand times more expensive than it used to be.

The whole way home I kept on thinking about the Pastor's offer, but no matter how many times I wanted myself to go I couldn't take it seriously. Maybe that was just the way it was going to be. I didn't think of it for the rest of that day. Instead I just rested in my bed thinking about what I actually would do if they figured out that the whole thing was just a setup. Part of me just wanted to run away from it all, and forget it ever happened. Another part wanted me to turn myself in so I wouldn't feel so guilty all the time. Though even I did do either, I doubt it would fix me all the way. I doubted anything would. I must have asleep because the next thing I knew I was in the woods.

It all appeared so quickly. Though something was different about this place; it seemed so...so clean. It felt so good to actually feel the air. I could smell it too. Where
was I? A familiar voice came from behind me.

“This is holy ground. Ground where no man is allowed to touch. Only ghosts and spirits can enter.” I turned around. It couldn't be. This was her voice. The voice of the girl I killed. How could she be here with me now?

“Why are you here? You aren't supposed to be....alive.” She smiled at me, and it wasn't a nice smile.

“I'm here because I was sent here. I was sent here to warn you. Any plans of protecting yourself from what you did will fail. There is only on who can save you.” I was angry now. Now I remembered why I disliked her so much. Visions of the past that had been buried flooded my brain. The images around us began to change, and we were
taken somewhere I thought I would never see again. Elementary school.

“Who can save me? Why did you take us here?” She put a finger to her lips.

“Silence child, and learn what you should have learned long ago.” We ended up right outside of the school. Seeing this brought back so many memories. Everyday at twelve on the dot we all rushed out of here to play. Even though I was so many years older it still felt the same. The bell sounded, and on cue the kindergarteners ran out of the front door. It was a wonder that no one ever got hurt. I saw a lot of familiar faces, and it made me feel a little better. Then she grabbed my shoulders dragging me back to reality.

“Now look toward the end.” She was starting to make me angry. Why exactly was I here?

“Tell me why I'm here first.” She only looked at me. There was no anger in here eyes, but I could tell that something bad would happen if I didn't look at her. She was pointing at the door, and what I seen there made my insides crawl. It was a younger version of Melody. I was so envious. She was beautiful as always. Long curly hair. The perfect color skin, and a pretty face to go with it. Even as a child she could have been a model if in the right area. The problem was she wasn't. No one here realized her potential. We all treated her so horribly. The girl ran out like everyone else, but every time she tried to join a group they rejected her. When this happened she just looked depressed for what seemed like just a second. After that she would go to another group. The cycle continued until there was none left.

In the end, she would end up siting on a swing looking lonely and deep in thought. I could barely bear to watch it. I always believed that she thought she was better than everyone else, but maybe I was wrong. Maybe she just wanted to be acknowledged, even if it was just once.

“Are you starting to understand her perception?” I didn't look at her. If I
had known that she was like this, then we probably could have been friends. If she was so lonely why didn't she just tell us.

“Don't try to be so innocent. You must know by now that she's tried everything to be accepted by you all, but you rejected her every time. It's no wonder she acted the way she acted.” I ignored what she said because I was realizing something else.

“You talk about yourself as if you're not Melody. Why do you do it?” She gave me a sharp look. If I remember correctly, that wasn't a Melody look. I took a step back. “Who are you?” She look at me for a moment and smiled.

“It is not yet time for me to reveal myself to you, but be assured the time will surely come.” I was starting to get scared. What was really going on here?

“I don't want to know. I just want to go home now. Melody is dead; there's nothing more anyone can do about it!” The fake Melody's eyes began to glow a bright color.

“Something will be done. You reap what you sow. What you did will once again come to pass. If you leave now you will die, and before you do my face will be hidden from you.” That scared me even more. Who did this person think she was? Something was smelling very wrong, and the smell was getting worse. I had to do something. I had just been threatened. The fake Melody sighed.

“Just follow me, and continue to learn about her life. If you do then no wrong will be done to you. You will also learn something very important, and it will be a
turning point in your life.” She was imploring me, and I could tell that she was serious because little sweat beads were forming on her head. I don't know how, but this person was really trying to help me.

“Okay, I'll follow you. I kind of get why you're showing me this, but I feel like there's something in it for me as well.” I shook me head. That's not what I wanted
to say. Though I think she did because she smiled almost immediately.

“You know that I only mean good. That is why you will follow me, and you will not regret it.” I nodded. She was right. I wasn't getting any bad vibes at all. What I was getting was the type of vibe a teacher might show when he or she is telling you something you don't know. Though deep down I was just thinking this was a dream. When I turned to follow Melody was looking at me in a weird way. I remembered the way she would look at me when I said certain things. Then the realization hit me, and it was scary.

“Can you read my mind?” She was already walking, but still seemed to hear what I said.

“Yes I can. You are not with someone you can keep yourself from. Though I can not yet tell you who I am.” I didn't get a word she was saying, but I had to keep going. She said something, and then everything disappeared to be replaced by a completely different scene. This was obviously the middle school that I attended, but it
was in an unfamiliar class. Probably somewhere in the west wing. There were so many stories surrounding it that no one really went there. There was a noise from the door, and then the sound of footsteps coming closer to where we stood. The fake Melody pointed.

“Look here. Look how she used her time while still being unable to become attached to anyone.” An older even more beautiful looking version of Melody appeared in the room. She had her headphones in and a notebook, and she appeared to be out of breath.

“Where did she go?” A girl's voice sounded out of nowhere, and it didn't sound nice either. Another even closer voice sounded.



“Maybe she's in this old room back here.” Then there was a pause, and the clatter of footsteps getting closer.

“Yea, maybe your right. Lets check.” Said the girl enthusiastically. As soon as she said it, the younger Melody caught her breathe. I was very scared for her. Who knew what those girls were going to do if they found her. She found an old closet in the corner and climbed inside just before they entered. The girls that walked in looked angry, as expected, but they didn't seem like the type to talk. As a matter of fact, they had things that resembled sticks in their hands. I turned to the fake Melody.

“What are they going to do to her?” She looked at me and shook her head. Then pointed to the scene. The girl in the middle seemed to be their leader because of
the way she was bossing the other two around.

“Check each and every inch of this room. This is the only place she could be. When we find her it's going to be so on. I've been itching for a chance to get at that little freak since school started, and now there is nowhere she can go.” They kept looking, and looking as if their very lives depended on getting their vengeance. Tears were starting to come to my eyes because the suspense was so terrible. It was also because of the fact that they were getting closer and closer to the closet. What was she going to do when they found her? I tried to turn away, but nothing would move. My body was frozen over. The most I could do was turn my head, and with that one power I looked at the fake Melody.

“What did you do to me?” She looked at me with something serious on her face.

“You will watch what happened to her on this day. Did you really think you had it that easy here? This something you must bear alone so that you can gain some type of understanding of what she went through.” My eyes widened. I didn't want to see
this, it was too much. “It wasn't too much when you killed her either was it?” My tears came automatically, and as soon as she saw this her face softened.

“I'm so sorry. I-I don't know what was wrong with me. I was just so stupid, and everything is so messed up now.” She put a put a finger to her lip, and beckoned for
me to quiet my tone.

“Fret not child. For if you follow me only good things will await you in the future. Soon you tuning point is come. You will suffer but for a second.” I understood nothing she said, but once again I felt nothing but good will from this person. I had never felt this way around someone, yet it was such a scary experience that hardly wanted to happen again. I turned toward the scene again, but nothing was there. There was only a blurry scene. The way it sounded it was like I was watching an old VCR type of movie. It was very creepy like it felt when you watched the Ring as a kid. What was even more scary was the fact that I still could not move. What was going to happen to me? I was about to close my eyes before I heard a scream.

“Here she is grab her!” There was the sound of struggling for a moment, but then it turned to silence and heavy breathing. “You thought you could just get away with acting so stuck up at my school didn't you?” No answer. Then there was a thick thudding sound, followed by a shallow breath from who I think was Melody.

“I'm sorry.” She said. It was simple, and I think that was the reason it was so unbearably sad. This wasn't the Melody I remembered.

“What did you say freak? Say it again. Sarah take out your camera so we can get this.” Noise as Sarah did as she was told.

“I'm sorry just let me go home.” Her voice was so soft that I wanted to go in there and help her myself, but that was impossible.

“Your not going anywhere you freaking tramp!” More thudding and some
type of horrible sobbing was going on now. I had never witnessed anything like this in real life. It was so horrible. The fact that I couldn't see it was even worse than the fact it
was happening. It was an endless beating, and I was surprised that she lived through this. After a while I tried to stop it myself.

“Stop hurting her!” I knew they couldn't here me, but I would feel evil if I had just sat there and did nothing. I could no longer here Melody's screams, but the thudding sound made from hitting her was still audible. Some of the girls were still cursing at her too. I couldn't take it anymore, and closed my eyes to try to block the image. I tried to get rid of the sound as well, but the thudding was still in my head. I didn't think I could take anymore. The guilt was going to kill me. I screamed for as long as I could. Then it all vanished. There was just a light. I guess you could call it a white room as well, but I couldn't be certain because there was nothing in it. The light could have gone on forever as much as I knew.

“Do you understand now child? Do you now understand your wrong doing?” I was shaking.

“Yes I do. I'm sorry for what I did to you; I was so stupid.”

“Now you understand what you must do when you go back then.” My eyes
flashed. She wanted me to turn myself in. I thought she just wanted me to learn; I don't know if I'll be able to do that. To condemn myself and everyone else that was involved, and no doubt they wouldn't be the only ones that hated me. Everyone knows that this town isn't fond of black people. If I help save one, what will happen to me? My dad wants me to take over his business, and I'm not even allowed to leave for long periods of time. What would I do?

“What will happen to me? What if I can't do it?” The fake Melody's eyes burned, and then there was a light so bright that I was momentarily blinded. When my
sight came back to me there was a fire in front of me. The fire was very bright, but even so there was no heat coming from it. Just when I thought it could get anymore crazy the
fire grew eyes. The eyes were like fire also, only they were much more intense.

“You will do it. You have now seen what you have done to someone who belonged to me. What you yourself did to my flesh and blood. Would you make yourself God, and decided who lives and dies?” I fell to my knees.

“What are you, and what do you want from me? I just want to go home.” After this I closed my eyes and waited for some kind of end, but there was none. I felt something soft and fulfilling instead. I turned to see what it was, and it was the flame. It had changed colors and seemed to swirl in and around itself.

“I am that I am.” I had heard this somewhere before. Why would what it
says sound familiar to me though?

“That doesn't make any sense. Just tell me what and who you are, Then tell me what you want with me.” The flame came together to form a figure, and I couldn't for the life of me see what the figure was. Though I knew it was awfully close to human form.

“I am the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob. The same God that led Noah through the flood. The same God, who through Moses, delivered my people from Egypt . Do you still not know me?” I stared at the figure for what seemed like forever. Why would God personally come and see me. “There are many others that have known me, and you are no different than any other man. I am here to answer a prayer. You must tell the truth child, and when you do many will prosecute you. Though fear not because I will be with you. In my hands you will never perish. You have learned from your mistakes, and now you must do what is right in my eyes.” I was still getting over the fact
that this was God. Whose prayer was he answering, and why did he try to make himself
seem like Melody.

“Why me?” He stared at me probably a little annoyed now. I couldn't tell though. Then everything began to fade, and I barely caught his last words.

“Do as I say, and good things will soon come to pass.” Then I woke up in
cold sweat. I was in the living room, and it was in the middle of the day. I looked around at the familiar surroundings. It was then that I realized that this wasn't my living room. It was my parents living room. How was I hear when I was in Indianapolis when I fell asleep? What was going on? How long had I been asleep? I tried to sit up, but nothing would move. My muscles felt too relaxed. I tried crying out to see if my mother was home, but all that came out were grunts. What was wrong with me? Right on cue my mother ran into the room with a look of out right shock on her face.

“Selena, oh thank God you're finally woke up. The doctors said it might be permanent, but oh I'm so glad you're alright!” She shouting with you as if I had been dead. Then without warning she hugged me

“What do you mean mom. How long have I been asleep?” She looked at me in a peculiar way. In a way someone looks at someone that missed out on something important. My words were slurred now, and they were getting better.

“Honey you've been asleep a whole month. We thought you were in a coma.” A voice appeared in my head that second.

“Tell her.” There was no doubt in my mind that I had to tell her everything. I don't believe that God character was lying.

“Mom there's something I have to tell you.” She turned too look at me curiously.

Chapter 8: The Trial
Achilles
Jeffery's tale was indeed a long one, and was even harder to accept. I could never imagine this man doing any type of harm, but it is good that there son has been awake for a month now. I turned my attention back to Mr. Chambers who had changed the subject.

“You also have a former classmate to thank if you're free after all of this.” Those words made no type of sense to me, so I waited for him to explain. Sure enough after a moment or two he did. “I believe you remember a girl named Selena at the last trial, and it's understandable if you don't. After all it's been almost four years.” My eyes widened. How could I forget?

“You mean the girl that bullied her before she plotted her murder?” He nodded. I was confused. If my memory served me well, that girl hated Melody. Why would she confess now years later?

“Thanks to her confession, you can get another trial in Indianapolis instead of in this town. You ought to be grateful; I'm sure I wasn't the only one who prayed for this moment.” He wasn't wrong. I prayed every so often that justice would be served, and I was patient as well.

“I continuously prayed for my freedom, and I am happy to say that this is the day that the Lord has made. If that is so, then he has truly answered our prayers.” Mr. Chambers raised his eyebrow,

“I heard you were Christian, but you have more word in you than I thought you would. If we win this we should go to church together sometimes.” I smiled

“That sounds pretty good to me.” He smiled back. It was good to have somebody that God sent on your team. I still had a lot of questions for him though.

“Where will I be staying while we're here?” He beckoned for me to walk with him.

“You'll be staying in a local jail, but it won't be so bad. At least not as the jail you were in.” I didn't doubt him. Nothing could be worse than where I was at. I silently prayed that that cursed place would be shut down.

“When is the trial then?”

“The trial is in a week, and the same prosecutor will be going against you. He had been retired for two years already, but when he heard you were having another trial he couldn't sit down. It's going to be a hard one, but believe me if we have faith we
will come through.” I did believe in him, but faith without works is dead. We'd have to work really hard to do what God wants us to do. Only if we do that will we succeed.

“Sounds good to me. As long as we do what's right we should win.” He
nodded again, and my parents finally started to talk to me. They filled me up with hope of the future. In the end, I they were the ones that prepared my for the trial. They told me that mom was pregnant, and that I could be expecting a kid sister sometime next year. Then they explained how many colleges in America wanted me because of what I was going to. It was all for the publicity, but the grades that I've gotten all of my life have been a great factor in this. I knew all of the hard work would eventually pay off. I knew God would let this day come, but in his perspective I had only just begun. My trials and tribulations were far from over, but at least now if he is willing I'll be free. When they had finished with that they turned to look at me in a somewhat satisfied way.

“What college do you plan on attending son?” I laughed out loud at their casual conversation.

“Guys we haven't even had the trial yet. How about we just pray for the best to happen in the courtroom first? I hope to God that things will turn out right, but I don't want to skip over the important parts. You never know what might go wrong.” They both looked taken back for a minute, but then both of them had a smile on their face before long. I was never a patient one, and for them this must have been proof of my growth.

“That's right. We ought to be believing, and praying that he get you through the trial. You're right. I'm sorry we lost our head.” Our father was usually the one to address things like this, but this time my mother took his words. It looked like things in my family were changing as well. Though I could feel the storm coming. This wasn't going to be easy, and with that I was taken to the local cell. We had to deal with the cameras, and reporters on the way out again. It was okay though because the more that
people saw this case, the more ridiculous it's going to seem to the whole country. I said goodbye to my mother and father, and walked with an officer and Mr. Chambers to a police car.

“Did you have a nice talk with your parents?” I looked up at him to see if I could find a reason he asked that in his facial expression. I couldn't find anything.

“I did it seems like if I get out of here things will be better than they were
before. I'm grateful just for that hope.” He smiled at me as if that was just the answer he was looking for.

“I'm glad you said that because it means that you will be willing to work hard. Am I wrong?” I took a deep breath.

“No your not. This part will be the hardest I've ever faced, and no doubt will decide my fate. I'll work as hard as is needed. You can trust me on that Mr. Chambers.” He put a hand on my shoulder, and we both paused for a moment.

“Your visions for the future are strong, but in order to reach that future you will have to become strong as well. With God at our side that is exactly what we are planning to do.” I nodded and mumbled a goodbye as I got into the officer's car to be driven to the local jail. The drive was quiet, but I wouldn't have had it any other way. My turning point was finally coming. This brought me back to the end of Revelations Six where a very important question was asked of all the saints.

“Who shall be able to stand when Christ comes and endure the wrath of the lamb?” It is a brilliant question with a brilliant answer. Of course it will be the saints who he has greatly rewarded. I am glad to be one of them, and whether I made it or not I knew in my heart that as long as he is hear I will never stray off the path. When we got to the local jail it was noisy as expected. It hindered me even though I was in deep thought. I could not wait until this trial was over, and I could go rest. Though for now I
had to work hard with Mr. Chambers so something good could come out of it.
So you're the kid that went to jail for murdering the pretty girl huh?” I didn't expect any conversation from the officer, and because of the fact that what he said was rude I didn't
answer either. “You don't look like a killer to me. If I were the judge, you would have never went to jail in the first place. Even so you were there for three years. This country sure is as mess, but I wanted to let you know you have most of the towns support. Good luck kid.” At this point in time I was used to this. My parents had already told me that I already had a lot of supporters, so this was to be expected.

After I was signed in to the jail they took me to my cell, and I finally had time to think to myself. All of this had happened in so little time that I barely had time to take it in. I never thought I'd be in any cell thinking happy thought, but this was an exception. That was before the devil came knocking on my cell; it had been so long that I had forgotten about her. I knew I would see her again, but I had no idea when. Though there she was in the middle of the night ready to destroy all the confidence I had built over the past few months.

“Hello Achilles, it's been so long since we've last chatted.” She still had that sly look in her eye. She hadn't changed at all. She still had the same gentle smile she had last time we met. It all seemed so long ago.

“How did you get out of the county jail? W-why did you come to see me?”
She chose the wrong time to come in. I still had so many other things on my mind; I prayed that God would show me some kind of guidance.

“I came to get you out lover boy.” She whispered as if someone was over her shoulder. There was someone by the way, but we didn't have to worry. It was just a sleeping guard. “I thought that was obvious since I did come to see you.” I guess something in the silence that followed must have given me away because she started to
look at me funny.

“Has something happened? You seem so different from when we last met.” She seemed genuinely concerned, but I knew better. She was afraid that something might go wrong in her plan, and it was because of that thought that I knew that she needed me for what ever she was about to do.

“Yes,” I said without hesitation. “I follow God's word now. I have made myself a saint, and I'm sorry but I think I'll wait for him to get me out of here the right way.” Her eyes widened. I bet those were words she'd never thought she'd hear. I can't say I exactly expected them myself.

“What do you mean? I believe in God's words too. It shouldn't change our plans right?” I shook my head. She wasn't getting it.

“Sabrina you can't serve two masters. You will love one and hate the other. You would do well to remember that.” I expected her to turn away without an answer,
but I guess I was more naive than I thought I was. When I seen that she still would not leave, I turned to face her. What I seen truly shocked me. Sabrina, the girl that was so different from when I had last seen her, was near tears.

“What are you saying. You said you would stay with me. I thought we could always be together!” Her voice was a mixture of sobbing and angry rantings. I had never seen her act like this.

“Sabrina, how did you get here? Why are you out of jail?” She seemed even more shocked that those were the questions that I asked.

“What do you mean. I thought you were one of the few who knew. I-I thought I could trust you!”

“You still can, but you have to do things the right way. I am not the person you once knew, but I will help you in anyway I can. You must know that surely!” She
stepped back.

“No I don't know. I thought you were different. I thought we had something more different than everyone. Why can't you understand that I want to help you? That I cared for you more than anyone else. I love you.” That one struck a cord.

I turned away from her. Even though I may not have been right, I didn't believe she loved me. I even told her as much.

“If you loved me then why didn't you wait to see me? I know you escaped now, but you only had a year left. You could have just stayed put!” I was afraid that if we kept talking like this, sooner or later someone would hear. Dark tears streaked her beautiful features.

“I was worried about you. I didn't want you to be here for half of your life because of something some dumb kids didn't want to take responsibility for! Is it wrong that I just wanted to save you?” After hearing these words, all of the anger I once had left me. My mind was mine once again. She was worried about me. Is that what all the rumors really meant. It really did seem like she wanted something different, but in the end all she wanted was someone to run away with.

“Sabrina there were other ways. I've turned to God, and ever since I have things have been going in the right direction. You don't have to worry about me. Just worry about yourself okay? I'll be fine as long as I have Him.” I looked out of a window, and I saw the sun was going to come up soon. I had been paying attention to the radio, but there was no news of an escape. “Has anyone found out that you escaped yet?” She wiped away the tears from her eyes, and shook her head. I almost sighed, it was like we're all little kids with big problems. I shook my head. All is well that ends well.

“No?” I stood up and got as close to her as I could in my cell.

“Then I want to ask you a question.” Curiosity had now taken over her
features.

“What is it now?” I swallowed. It was taking mental strain to say this, but I knew that this is the way things were meant to be.

“After this is all over with and behind us. When we both have God working the right things in our lives will you marry me?” Her jaws dropped. She took a step
backwards, and then she took a step forward . Her cheeks were starting to turn a bright crimson. Then she turned around, and started to talk to herself. This was something I had never seen her do before, and I had no way of thinking of what was going through her head. Then just when I thought that she lost it, she finally turned around and nodded.

“I-If you insist like this. I guess I have no choice, but to oblige. Besides, what would you do without me lover boy?” I started to laugh at how confused she was making me. I heard footsteps, we were running out of time.

“Sabrina, go back to the jail. Talk to the preachers, and find out who God is. He will lead you from there.” She nodded and started to leave, but I had to say one more thing. “Sabrina!” She turned to face me, with the slightest hint of annoyance on her face. “I love you too, and when you find God, love him way more than you love me okay.” Her faced turned crimson again.

“Stop talking about love, I know already!” With that she disappeared into the night without another word. Boy God is good. Better than anyone wold ever know. He made me focus on the one person in my life that actually had to matter. That person
is myself. Like Saint Paul I have to fight the good fight, and keep the faith wherever I go. I no longer live under the law, but by the faith of Christ. This I will prove to others, and myself until I die. The word says that “the righteous man shall live by faith” after all. Keeping those thoughts to myself I have managed to keep myself going all through out the week. Meeting with my lawyer, my parents, and then my lawyer again. Even Mr.
Chambers came by a few times to check on how I was doing.

“How are you doing Achilles? Do you still believe that this will end well for us?” I nodded my head with conviction.

“I trust in God, and will abide in my faith just like the Bible told me to do. I really don't think that there's anything to worry about.” He nodded back with a strange
smile on his face, and even though I was curious to that I let it go. Nothing would could stop God's plan, but before my head races to victory I had to be ready for the worst as well. No one could tell the future save God him self who sits in eternity. I prayed daily, and every night before I went to bed. I even prayed in the day time to pass the time. For some reason I was filled with so much happiness and so much love. I wanted the world to know it, but I was confined. Though even the caged bird sings.

We pieced as much information, and as many details as we possibly could by the end of the week. So on the final night I was very tired, and very hopeful at the same time. My father told me I looked like a happy dead man. It wasn't a very bright
joke in more than one way, but I still laughed because it was true. In this week before my judgment I had never expected to feel anything accept sorrow, but a way has been made. I couldn't afford to not be grateful because I, out of so many, have been blessed. So that night I went to sleep in peace. Finally it was peaceful, and I only dreamed a little. Though what I dreamed I wouldn't get of my head anytime soon. I was standing in a beautiful meadow, and it was night time. It was a beautiful view. Probably the most beautiful I had ever seen. There were fireflies everywhere, and the moon was giving a lot more light because it was closer than usual. It had me thinking that this time I might have gone back in time. Except I knew I hadn't. I felt a presence come behind me.

“Hello Achilles. It's good to see you again.” I turned to see Melody. Standing alone in the serene beauty of the meadow. Her beauty almost made it seem like
she was made for the place, or it was made for her.

“Melody, if it weren't you and God I couldn't have made it this far. Thank you so much for all you've done.” She shook her head.

“Achilles, this is only the start of your story. There is so much more you have to go through. Your fight is not finished.” I smiled.

“I know that. It has just begun, and it won't end until I'm in glory with God. I'm going to stay with him until then.” She laughed a long happy laugh before she was able to face me again.

“It seems you don't need my help anymore. I was hoping you would for a moment, but what use am I to the living? She walked toward me, and told me to face the opposite direction. I gladly did this because I thought I would see something beautiful, but I didn't.

“Melody, there's nothing here-” she was gone. The whole place was quiet. It was like she'd never been there in the first place, but right before I woke up I heard a quiet whisper in my ear.

“Goodbye Achilles, I'll see you after your fight is done.” Then there was nothing. I remember feeling a tear falling from my eye, and after I woke up I felt something light rise in my belly. It turned out that it was the thankfulness that I felt to all of the people God had taken and put in my life. He did all of this so that I could understand how he truly felt. He isn't a mean and merciless God. He is a loving and forgiving God that is slow to anger. This is what people were misunderstanding. He never forgets to wake us up every morning, and he never forgets to make some kind of way in our lives. Because of that everyone should be thankful, but so few of us will make it into the kingdom.

Later when I was dressed up in a suit, I told my parents as much and they
both hugged me. Mr. Chambers seemed pretty into it as well. He even brought his family along, and his son brought his little lady friend as well. It was really time for the final
battle here. I hoped that God would be my shield, and I prayed that my family would make it through this safely. I didn't care what the results were. I had God. I didn't need anything else, unless of course he put it there for me to have. We walked into an
Indianapolis courtroom with all this in mind, and maybe even a little more so. Now we can start.
.
.
.


It started off very quietly. Probably because everyone was shocked that they actually had to be in a courtroom for this. Though I could feel it wasn't all shock. There were people here that were actually excited to see something like this happen. It was probably like witnessing history for them. Because of that I could hardly blame them, in fact, I was a little excited as well. I could not wait to see how God would end this. As expected as soon as I entered the room, cameras were trained on me. I could feel all the people that were watching me at home. I could feel the ones who supported me, and I could feel the ones that wanted me to be taken back where I came from. Was this how it was supposed to be?

The types of stares I was getting from everyone in the courtroom. There were looks of admiration and then there were looks of animosity. I would be fooled by neither. I would put my trust in God. I was firmly seated next to my lawyer, and when
we caught each others eye we had one thing on our minds. Know one else had to worry about it until we actually got into the trial; boy I felt sorry for them. The judge spoke out in a very loud voice. It shook me to the core.

“May the defense and the prosecutor please rise!” It wasn't a question, more
like a command. The judges of the court never ceased to amaze me. Though both rose in very composed manners. I was almost jealous that I couldn't be in such a position, yet. Though both went up to talk about the judge; I assumed it was over who should be chosen. Their talk lasted about three minutes before my lawyer came back to sit down next to me. He was the one who was chosen to represent the his side of the court first.
He started off calm and reserves, as if he had something bigger coming in the future. Though we knew that already. They were the first winners, and contrary to popular beliefs, people who win the first time are always cheered for most the second time around. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. That saying meant something. Something very simple. It meant that you had to prevent yourself from being caught a second time. The crowd hushed as the former prosecutor and now defendant spoke.

“Ladies and gentlemen, it's good to see you again.” He stifled a laugh. “Hopefully this time it won't last so long.” That got a smirk from the crowd. My lawyer stood without hesitation.

“Your honor this a serious matter!” The lawyer waved his hand away in a careless motion.

“I know I know. Defense you may continue.” He had a smile on his face as well, and suddenly things were looking down again. I was starting to feel the way I had in the trial almost four years ago. Then someone touched my shoulder, and I caught the lawyer's smile. I looked around, and my supporters were nodding and smiling as well. They were letting me know that they were going to give everything they had for me, and it made me proud. The defense continued.

“This young man has had many accomplishments made in his life, and the fact that he is here may look like a waste of good talent. Though what is talent in the
eyes of justice? It is only a privilege to be had amongst certain individuals.” He straightened his glasses. “Speaking of such things I'd like to call someone who has witnessed such things in actuality. I call Mr. Jones to the stand.” There was a small sound from the back as a familiar bearded man stepped up to the police officer. He finished his vows without so much of a stutter. I shrugged. I guess a Government teacher would be used to these things, but how would he use a teacher from this high school?
If I remember correctly I did a marvelous job for the very short time I attended there. The middle school in Manchester had harder classes then that one. I remembered thinking that the second day. I watched as the defense again continued his case.

“Mr. Jones, you have, even if for a short period of time, taught Mr. Brown in one of your classes. Am I correct.” The history teacher nodded his head very fast, and then look my way before quickly turning away when he saw I was watching. What was I a criminal, and then I remembered. Technically I was, but of course I knew that I didn't commit a crime. Though everyone in town, including Mr. Jones, thought that I did because I was presumed guilty.

“Yes, I have Sir.” Then thinking he realized what this was about he babbled out something almost unintelligible. “ Of course I hadn't any business in the murder Sir. In fact, I barely even remember seeing him at all. After all it has been two years since I retired.” He started to shake as if he was running out of time for something, but the man was just over exaggerating his situation. The lawyer took full advantage over the frightened little man.

“Of course we wouldn't assume such a thing Mr. Jones. I merely wanted you to confirm some of the curiosity I've had about Mr. Brown's behavior in your classroom. Will you answer them for me?” He gulped and nodded his head. I didn't know if this was funny because he sounded like he was talking to a boy, or because this
sounded like something out of an old Disney movie.

“Did Mr. Brown behave in a suspicious manner of any kind? The little man patted his fingers trying to regain the memory of a few days four years ago.

“Yes he did Sir. He kept well away from other students, but he excelled past everyone in his work. I've never had a student quite like him before. One of the best I've ever seen.”

“That is all I need Mr. Jones. Thank you very much you may leave the stand.” My lawyer stood up with something fierce in his eyes.

“Objection your honor. He failed to connect this to the case.” The defense tried to defend himself.

“All in good time your honor. All in good time.” The judge waved my lawyer off as if he were an annoying fly, and I could tell that my lawyer saw it too because he sat down with a certain strain in his eyes.

“Defense next time you fail to show a connection you know what will happen.” The defense smiled a gigantic smile.

“Yes sir. I promise I won't do it again.” The judge nodded and motioned for my lawyer to come plead his case with him as well. My lawyer shook his head, sparing Mr. Jones the humiliation of having to go through similar questions. My lawyer then proceeded to the middle of the room where he collected his thoughts before calling the first person to the stand.

“I call one of Achilles teachers from Manchester, Mrs. Jewel, to the stand. If you may my Lady?” A familiar figure that strode through the room in a graceful manner.
It was almost like watching someone in a movie. I almost wanted to get up and hug her for coming all the way over here for me. She should have called if she was here. I've been praying for her so much lately. My lawyer, having humor, eve helped her up on the
stand to say her vows. Being very attractive she gave him a wink. He did a little bow, before returning to his place in front of the stand. After her vows were finished she went and sat rather attentively in front of him. When she caught my eye, she waved and blew a kiss to where I was, I caught it. God forgive me, but I didn't know what else to do. I prayed that she could put it to some use to it for God in some way. My lawyer went over his questions for her very slow before asking them, but before he could say one word Mrs. Jewel interrupted him.

“Joseph when will this be over? I fancy a cup of tea, and a chat with Achilles. It's been so long since we have chatted with each other, and the very idea that this man would kill someone is absurd.” I stifled a laugh. I had forgotten how funny Mrs. Jewel could be when she was serious about something. Her love for others was just so warm. The lawyer cleared his throat clearly not expecting her sudden outburst.

“If I may my name is not Joseph, and all in good time madam. We just need to sort some things out.” He said this sneaking a withering glare at my former classmates in the defense section. “Just answer a few questions, and you will be free to leave the stand.” She gave him a daring, but annoyed look. “I promise.” He managed to get out
before the judge gave him a look.

“This here courtroom is not for catching a date. I don't know where you come from, but this is your first and last warning.” His shock was very evident as he nodded gravely at the judge.

“You have my word your honor. I'll commence to get straight to the case.” He gathered his thoughts together one last time before commencing with the case. “Ms. Jewel, could you please tell me a little about Achilles Brown in his middle school days? I'm sure everyone would like to hear.” She smiled as if remembering something wonderful, and explained just how being able to teach me was.

“Oh teaching Achilles was just wonderful. When I first realized how talented he was in his studies it was like a dream come true. It seemed like he even knew what I was thinking at times, and everyone else loved him as well. He told us that his dream was to go to America, and attend an American high school.” She shook her head in a dramatic way to show how much this all grieved her. “After that he planned to go to Oxford to continue learning his profession.” I had been hoping it would come true, but
maybe it was a mistake for him to come to America. Land of the free my buttocks; all you people did was take away his dreams and his freedom. An innocent boy who was that talented. It's a crime against humanity! I could never live in America if this is what is done here.” She waited impatiently for her next question. The lawyer didn't keep her
waiting long.

“Did he, in anyway, behave suspiciously anytime you may have taught him? Was his behavior in any way off at any period of time.?” She looked at him skeptically for a moment, and then she seemed to go into her own train of thought. It was funny how a person's physical reactions can even reveal their thoughts.

“The only thing really different about him was how smart he's been in school. He's never really been that sad, mad, or depressed about anything. In fact, he's was always the cheerful one in the class. There was really nothing off.” I saw her look in me in a sad kind of way. I was understanding how she was feeling. Things were so much more simple back then. The lawyer looked around to face everyone in the crowd with a satisfied look on his face.

“So Mrs. Jewel, what your saying is that Achilles was a talented, smart, and otherwise brilliant child who would never murder anyone.” Mrs. Jewel laughed out loud.

“Of course not. Achilles wouldn't hurt a fly. He was never one for violence. He was always going on about how the world would be so much better without it. I
hardly believe his views have changed Sir.” The lawyer nodded, and winked at me.

“Of course such a fun-loving Achilles wouldn't harm anyone. As a matter of fact, as I recall he was working to become something, but I forgot what it was. Mrs. Jewel, can you remind me?” She nodded with a smile probably seeing where he was
going with this now.

“He wants to be a neurosurgeon. Someone who specializes in all the new
types of medicine that are able to help people, and knowing him it would have worked out just fine.” People in the courtroom started to murmur, but from where I was I couldn't here anything. Though I knew we were winning from how the way the defense was reacting. They seemed uncertain, and they kept looking around at each other in a way that said they doubted their chances. I wasn't exactly happy about how upset they were, but I was excited about actually having a chance to win. I thank God for just that.

“Is that all you had to ask Sir?” Asked Mrs. Jewel in a very mundane way. It seemed she was pretty confident in herself as well. I wanted to get up, and give her a hug. She had already done so much just by telling everyone about the real me.

“No ma'am, just one more question and I'll be through with you.” She nodded impatiently and waited for it. “How long has it been since you have had contact with Achilles Brown?” She tossed her hair back, and answered without hesitation.

“A few months ago, and when I really talked to him the way he talked was still the same. His ambitions were the same, and there weren't any problems besides the fact that he was put in jail for no reason.” She flipped her head back in an ambiguous manner. The word ambiguous means we don't know why she did it. With that she stepped off the stand; my lawyer being a little put off by her impatience shook his head
and walked back to our table.

“ No further questions your honor.” The judge nodded, and looked toward
the defense. They're attorney shook his head. Clearly he was in deep thought because he neither looked up nor made a move to plead his case. At first I thought that they underestimated us, but they had their own surprises as well. The next person that was called to the stand was someone I'd never thought I'd see again. It was the officer. The officer I attacked in what seemed like another life. I couldn't even hear his name I was so shocked to see him. Nothing had changed at all except for the mean look he had on his face now as he looked at me.

“Mr. Vector, it is so nice to have you in court.” Said the defense after he officer had made all of his vows. The officer nodded before speaking to him.

“It is good to be in the big city, Sir. It's part of my job to come here anyway; after all there's a murderer here. You can never be too careful, and the people can be at ease as well since an office from the county is here. We'll have him locked up again in no time.” He looked over to where I was sitting, and smiled at me as if he were joking, but I knew better than anyone in this room that he wasn't. For some reason he was confident that he would somehow make sure that I wouldn't be proven innocent.

Was he that angry when I attacked him, or was it something else was driving him now? I hoped in my heart that this battle was already won, but I knew in my
own heart that I had to win it myself.

“Mr. Vector, can you describe today's Achilles Brown to the court? We'd really like to here your input on this since you are the one he attacked. What was his behavior like around that time?” The officer shook his head in a spiteful matter, and turned to face the court rather than the attorney.

“He wasn't much different than any other jailer to me. Just as stinky, just as ugly, and probably just as stupid too. I had also thought he was a coward before he attacked me, but now I realize that something was wrong with this boy's head. He just
snapped, one day and no one knew why.” He was lying, that was for sure. What did he mean out of nowhere. It was during a torture. They were beating people. I couldn't say that out loud though. At least not until I was called onto the stand. I would do whatever it took to get myself free of this mess. I missed Melody, but I missed my other friends and family as well. “He grabbed me and hit me over and over, and the worst things were
his eyes, Sir. He had the eyes of a murderer. I doubted I would have survived the next few minutes if the others hadn't intervened, and then they couldn't even punish him for it. He was too dangerous to punish. That's right, even the officers were afraid to put him in the prison box. He was too unpredictable.” The man's lies were making me sick to my stomach. I didn't know if I could take him saying those things about me for long.

Just the way he talked betrayed what he was saying, and what he was
saying betrayed truth itself. Lying is a sin, and whether he knew it or not he had just betrayed God, and even more so himself. There was no way the judge and jury were going to accept such dishonest words from such a small minded man. The prosecutor nodded seemingly satisfied with the answer. He was so satisfied that he even smiled. There was no lawyer or attorney alive who would have been happy with such a savage display, so he must have been up to something. I couldn't figure it out, it was too hard to read between the lines sometimes. The prosecutor proceeded to his next question.

“Can you tell me how he acted the following months after the attack?” My lawyer saw his chance. This was in no way connecting to the case, but before he could the judge gave him a sharp look. We could both tell that he wanted to give him a few more minutes. The officer scratched his balding head.

“Nothing really that noticeable. He stopped hanging around the friends he had made there, and he got into the Bible. We almost thought he was a Pastor or something.” People in the room began to snicker at that, but I didn't get upset. It would
take more than an ignorant comment to win this trial.

“No further questions Mr. Vector.” The defense looked at my lawyer, and my lawyer shook his head. He had no questions for such a man. My lawyer stood up to call someone else to the stand, but the person he called was someone I did not recognize let alone know by name.

“I call Jocelyn Martin to the stand.” Everyone waited a moment, and when no one appeared to be getting up the judge called her name as well. That got a reaction.

“I never agreed to testify for a murderer, so I won't go up there.” With what she spoke she calmed down and didn't speak again. My lawyer went through his papers for somethings, and then a small smile appeared on his face.

“Aha. I just picked the wrong name. Silly me. What I meant was I call Selena Carr to the stand.” A familiar pretty, blonde girl quickly stood up, and walked in a brisk manner toward the vow section. She said her vows without flinching, and without any sort of emotion walked straight toward the stand. I knew I had seen this girl before, but where was it? When was it? What I didn't know was that her testimony would answer all of my questions, and the courtroom's questions as well. My lawyer stepped up to the stand with an unreadable emotion on his face. “Mrs. Carr, I assume that you know that I know I don't have to ask how you're feeling today because we both know the answer to that question.” She nodded.

“I think we both know all too well, Sir.” Her voice was ragged as if she had been crying recently. Whoever this familiar girl was she looked like she had a bad month, or a bad year while I'm at it. The lawyer, being unaffected or unaware of the emotion in her voice, continued with his business.

“During the brief time that Achilles Brown went to your high school, did he
have any friends?” I heard a gasp from the direction of the defense table, and without
realizing it I was smiling at this. My body knew what was going to happen before I did. I knew this feeling had something to do with my faith in God.

“Yes, he had one friend before the murder. His only friend was Melody Lann.

Chapter 9: The Verdict
Selena
The courtroom was in an uproar the moment I said it. How could they understand it anyway? It's not like I cared if they did though. All I cared for at the moment was surviving the curse that God had put on me. I had to tell the truth. I looked over in Achilles' direction, and it seemed like he finally recognized me. I struggled to resist the laugh that was trying to escape my mouth. The judge kept banging his thingy because they ere so loud, and it was starting to make me angry.

“SHUT UP!” I shouted in the loudest voice possible. I hoped that my voice didn't crack. Everyone was quiet for a minute, and they all stared at me until the judge cleared his throat.

“Thank you. If I have to calm the courtroom like that again, then the only people who will be in here are the jury, defense, and prosecution. Am I understood?” No one said anything as the judge looked around. “Are there any complaints?” He looked around at everyone again, and again no one said anything. “Good,” said the judge starting to relax again. “The prosecutor may continue to plead his case.” The lawyer looked at me with excitement in his movements and gestures. That's the only way I could tell he was satisfied, and that's because his face was covered in resolve. I had never seen a man so confident in an almost impossible case.

“If you can, please explain how they interacted with each other.” It wasn't even a question like the others had. I understood what he was failing, and I didn't dislike it. Because of this I answered what he said to the best of ability.

“They were together in a back to back kind of way. Because of the race issues in our town they had no choice, but they had barely known each other when she was murdered. He had it harder than anyone else though. I can tell. Even though they hardly knew each other they felt a close connection. There was no way that he was that killed Melody Lann.” As soon as I finished saying her name, I felt a warm feeling in my stomach. It was a light feeling that I had never felt before. Was it happiness? Freedom? The lawyer's facial expression changed, and I wasn't really that fazed when I saw surprise on it. I bet no one would have expected that I would tell so much of what really
happened. They were going to be more surprised in a moment though. I didn't have to look at the defense table to know everyone there was angry. I didn't care though because I feared God so much more.

“I see then can you you tell me. Do you know who murdered Melody Lann?” The courtroom hushed faster than the words were out of my mouth. My hands were shaking, but I answered without hesitation.

“I did it. I murdered Melody Lann, and those were my accomplices. Everyone at that table saw what I did, and Achilles was there. He tried to save her, but he was held back.” No one said anything. It was actually pretty scary because I wanted them to be loud, and get kicked out so that I wouldn't have to deal with them. I underestimated their curiosity though; this case must have awakened something else in them. It was something not just anyone could get. I won't say what it is, but I can say that it is best described right now as ancestral rivalry. The prosecution was baffled. He didn't expect anyone to come out right with it. I bet I made his day. I laughed in my head. If it was going to be like this from now on, I guess I might enjoy going to jail. I froze, and shook my head. Did I really just think that? I saw a hulking figure rise from the other side of the room, and the next thing I knew my hair was being pulled. I fell right over the stand desk.

“You stupid, ignorant slut!” Some of the words that were really said will not
be mentioned in this book. He raised his fist, and the next thing I knew I was getting punched. Pain exploded all over my face, and I could also feel something wet on it. I couldn't tell if was my blood or if they were my tears. The worst part of the experience was there was no one coming to save me was what I thought. Then I saw a flash of Achilles face, and I was sitting upright again. The cops moved as fast as they could to restrain Jonathon, and Achilles without anymore fights starting. My face felt puffy, and now I knew that it was blood and tears spilling down my face. Now that my adrenaline was gone, I could actually hear what everyone was saying. I heard the judge first.

“Someone calm that young man down, and write this down. This young lady might be right. I can now imagine them doing something as malicious as murder.” I still heard Jonathon screaming as well.

“If I go to jail I'm going to kill you. You better bet on that. I'm going to get
you back. I swear I will!” The judge looked at my former associate with an ounce of understanding, and a lot of malice in it. I wondered if he was the same way when he was around that age. Whatever the case was, it didn't stop him from doing what he had to do.

“It should be easy now that there's a confession. Even so the prosecution may continue with its' case.” The lawyer nodded, and waited until everything was calmed down before continuing.

“Selena can you please describe everything that happened up there on the
roof? Are there any details that you aren't telling us?” His questions may have sounded on point, but both were pretty the same question.

“Nothing important. We basically followed her there during lunch, and we originally wanted to pick on her before going back to class.” This was going to be the hard part. I always get emotional just thinking of it. I wish I could go back four years and like kill myself.

“Selena can you continue?” I nodded before a loud voice interrupted us.

“Don't tell him anything! I knew I shouldn't have been friends with you.”

“Me too. You are such a freaking traitor snitching on everyone like that.” The two voices belonged to Jocelyn and Cassie. My two former friends. No if they were talking like this now, there was no way they could have ever been my friends.

“I pushed her off just because I was annoyed of her. Those two kept telling me to do it.” I looked at my hands, and they were shaking. I had never seen them shake so badly. “ When I did it we all went back laughing, knowing that we would probably get away with it. For four years we did get away with it Sir, but it isn't our fault that the system is so messed up. It's the town's. It's been like this for a very long time.” I dropped my head unable to say anymore. Even though I wanted to blot everything out at the
moment I still heard the voices of people murmuring. Even more weird was the fact that
I still felt happy. It didn't matter anymore though, it was done. I had done what I was
supposed to do. I was going to be sentenced to life in prison. Right when all was well the defense attorney spoke up.

“Your honor the case is not over with. She could be lying, there is no evidence that she's telling the truth.” The judge calmed him with a hand.

“It's over defense. We got the confession, and there is no need for anyone to come up with a verdict because this young lady chose her own. There will be further investigation into this case, and she will receive further interrogation just in case what she says is untrue. Until the interrogators are satisfied there will be no sentencing, but from what I've heard, this young man would never harm Melody Lann.” He picked up his thingy up. This meant that he would be making an important decision, and I suppose I knew who it was for.

“Your Honor!” Intervened the defense attorney trying to get one last word in, but once again the judge waved him away.

“I declare Achilles Brown innocent of all charges, and he is from this moment innocent of all charges regarding this case until new evidence proves otherwise. As for the defense and this young lady, you will be brought into the interrogation so you can tell the truth about what happened on that unfortunate afternoon. This court is adjourned.” As expected there was an uproar of excitement, and then at the same time an uproar of outrage. It was easy to see why the judges sentence angered almost everyone
here right now, but I'm not in the mood to think on it. Tears poured down my face, and I started to sob right there on the stand. I wasn't completely alone though. My mother was right there to comfort me, and right alongside her was someone I never thought that I'd see again. His dark skin, and bald head had never really been that far away in my
thoughts. It was the Pastor that I'd spoken to on my way home. I hugged my mom hard, and asked him a question.

“If I promise to get serious with God, will you help me along the way?” A look of surprise flashed on his face. He probably didn't expect me to remember the last encounter we shared.

“Of course I will, but there are certain things that you must do for yourself. I'm sure that you already know this. Am I right?” I wiped away my tears.

“You are absolutely right. I want to know more about God, and I want to know what he did that was so important.” He nodded in approval at this, and smiled proudly at me.

“It will all come to you in the time it is meant to. Don't worry or doubt anything God can take care of, and God can handle everything that's going on in your life just to let you know.” I shook my head.

“Are you sure? I could get up to life in prison, and then there won't be anything left of my life.”

“You never know what God might do in your life young lady. Even now he's thinking of a way to get you out of this.” He put his hands on my shoulders as if he were talking to someone in need which, incidentally, I was. “Just trust, believe, and pray on him and something good is bound to happen in your life.” I gave him a big hug. I couldn't help myself; even though I hardly knew him I felt a huge connection already. For once, something in my life was actually going right. Was it because I had a change in heart? Had doing what he said actually been better for me than what I've been doing? I was willing to believe it now because even Achilles Brown was brought out of it.

“Thank you so much. I don't know where I would be if you hadn't tipped me off about this.” He shook his head softly.

“It isn't me that you should thank. It's God for having mercy on you all this
time. He isn't a vengeful God who punishes all the time. He is a long-suffering God who would that you wouldn't perish. He wants you to succeed more than you want it yourself, and he's proved over and over.” His words were like miracles, and miracles it turns out means to be works of God himself. All the things people misunderstood. All of the things that I've misunderstood actually haven't been that hard to understand. It all depended on our will. What we actually wanted in our hearts. I believe that's what God actually sees. I hugged him again, and then turned to hug my mom who whispered in my ear.

“I don't care what you've done. I will always love and support you; anything you need, and I'll have it brought in a jiffy. You understand me tough girl.” I smiled at her urgency. It was rare to see my mom acting like this.

“Calm down mom, I'll be fine. I'm an adult now, and I'll be perfectly capable of taking care of myself.” Hearing that from your own daughter must be sad because tears poured down her eyes as she gave me the liveliest smile I had ever seen her give anyone. I could have stood there all day, but then I felt another presence behind me. It felt kind and fuzzy.

“Thank you,” he said. After all I had done to ruin his life that's all he had to say. It broke my heart how nice a guy he actually was.

“Thank you,” I said right back and turned to meet someone I hadn't seen in four years. The man I thought I'd condemned for life. He was smiling at me with a smile that could only be described as that of someone having a peaceful experience. “I'm sorry for all I've done. I don't think you could possibly forgive me, but I had to let you know that if I could go back-” he cut me off by putting a finger to his lips.

“I don't hold grudges. It's not my style, so you don't really have to
apologize. Not to me at least.” He looked up at the ceiling with a faraway look in his
eyes. “Though I think there are two people you can afford to apologize to. I won't tell you who they are since you probably already know.” With that he walked away leaving
my mother, and the Pastor with a look of confusion on their faces. I alone really understood what he was saying. After all, I had just recently had a chat with both of the acclaimed persons. It wasn't like I was in a hurry I thought as two men in suits came, and took me away.

“Bye mom!” shouted across the room. “Pastor I expect to see you soon.” He nodded with a hint of the confusion still on his face. I was taken along with my former high school friends to a certain room that was still in the room for interrogation. None of them said a word. I heard a few of them crying softly. I felt sorry for them more than anything. Not because they were going to jail, but because they hadn't had the same revelation I had. Who knows? Maybe they did, but didn't heed to the message. Either way I guess people who don't do what's right do pay in the end. I smiled as we walked into the room where a few detectives were waiting to interrogate us. I didn't know what they would do, but I was telling the truth. Fully and without excuse. After all I was the one who killed her. With that on my mind my mind turned back to God, and I was at peace.
Jeremy

When I came home from school I begged my dad to tell me how the court case went. Though no matter how much I asked he wouldn't tell me anything. There was
only a smile on his lips, and no matter what I said that smile stayed the same. Eventually, I gave up and I sat down and grabbed the remote to see for myself. Then
without warning someone grabbed me from behind, and picked me up. I was so
surprised that it seemed like my eyes popped out of their sockets. My heart was in my mouth, and when I was put down I was still shaking. I turned around to see who it was, and it was the least person I was expecting. The famous guy everyone had been talking about. The guy who had been on television for the last month or so. It was Achilles Brown.

“Hello little sailor. How do you do?” His accent wasn't quite an English accent, but it scared me for a bit. Other than that he seemed like a decent guy. He looked like the popular type, but he also seemed like he put himself under a lot of strain. I could understand him being like that after what happened to him though.

“I'm fine man, but you're that guy that was framed on the news for murder right? How do you feel now that justice finally came through for you?” All I heard was a short intake of breath as if he were going to sigh, but then he stopped and breathed out normally.

“Actually, now I feel at peace. I feel like I should just enjoy this moment just to make sure that it's real. That's why I'm here now?” I was confused. What exactly was he enjoying at my house?

“Your birthday party of course!” That's when I remembered. It was my birthday wasn't it? I had completely forgotten it. Everyone came from hiding. Well my friends did. There was cake, ice cream, food, and a lot of gifts from everyone. I was so surprised I didn't know how to react. My dad put a hand on my shoulder.

“There wasn't much time to celebrate for your recovery either, so everything thought we'd make that and your birthday one big “thing”.” I hugged him. I really needed a stress reliever too. I looked toward the sky, and thanked God in my heart for what he was doing. It wasn't finished yet. “That's not all son. I'm taking you and all
your friends to the mall and to the movies.” That sounded awesome. I get to meet
someone famous, and catch a movie with friends on the same day. All of a sudden I felt a kiss on my cheek. I turned to see Angel looking at me with a deep red blush on her face.

“That was your present from me. Happy birthday Jeremy.” I stepped back feeling a light feeling rise up in my stomach. What was wrong with me? I could usually laugh something like that off. I could feel my face burning up. Just what did you do to me? I looked at her, and she gave me a big smile. “Did you like it?” I nodded because I didn't want to say anything stupid. Anything could have come out of my mouth that very moment. I had to get control of myself. Everyone in the room began to laugh. I turned around to see that they were all watching us. Knowing that made it so much more
embarrassing.

“Why are you all laughing? It's not like you've never kissed a girl so don't talk.” They just started laughing even harder like I didn't get the joke. Even Achilles started laughing with them. I started to leave, but Angel grabbed my hand and pointed to where there were friends my age were at. They were all hurrying me over so that we could play some of the video games that I got, and for once I liked everyone there.
Achilles

As hilarious as seeing the little bugger blush was, I felt sorry for ruining his moment. He just had to ask that question. Not even I could have predicted it God as my witness. I had a feeling that they were going to have a lot of fun here, but as for me I had a few people to visit before I could relax. The first stop was the justice building where the Selena character was going all out for me, and second was the county jail where the
girl I was engaged to was currently residing. I still had a long journey ahead of me, so I
thought that I might as well get some of this stuff out of the way. That is if God was willing. I could never thank him enough for what he was always doing in my life. The leap he took, even when I was doing wrong.

Just thinking that I had him struck something me, and I had no idea what it was. There was peace, happiness, and understanding. It could have been anyone of
those, or it could have been all of them. I meditated on this until I made it to the justice building, and I'm glad to say that there were no reporters this time. They probably would have never expected me to go to a place I was almost condemned for life in. If they did then of course they thought wrong. I walked in and got ready to set in the waiting room when the person I was waiting for suddenly came from nowhere. Her fast arrival frightened me for a second.

“Selena, if you don't mind there is something that I have to ask you. It's been on my mind ever since this morning, and I just have to confirm it.” She smiled a straining smile, but I could tell that she was physically as well as mentally exhausted. She had to stand trial just to condemn herself, and then she had to fight to prove that what she said was the truth and the right thing to say.

“Go ahead and ask me. I think I can take at least a few more.” She flipped her hair in what would have been a graceful sweep, but instead it failed and ended falling all over her face. She really was exhausted, but I really had to know this.

“Do you believe in God?” As soon as the last word came flying out of my mouth I saw her eyes light up in a sort of familiarity. The very look was familiar to me because I had felt myself give the same look many times in the past.

“Yes, I do.” She said this in a hurried way as if she had been waiting to get it out. “If it hadn't been for him you wouldn't be free right now, and I'd be leading myself
down a path I wouldn't be able to turn away from. I have you to thank for this, and him to thank for everything.” She gave me a hug that I wasn't expecting, and smiled brightly before continuing. “I know I've said this before, and you probably don't want to here it again. It's just I feel so bad about what I did to you, and Melody. Especially Melody. I feel like I have to do something big to make up for it.” I shook my head. She really was a good girl.

“Don't you think you've done enough? You've already given yourself a life in prison. I don't think there's anything you should have to do for us, and I'm sure that everything will be alright in the end anyway.” I put a hand on her shoulder to show her how confident I was in this statement. God truly did make a way when it was needed. A single tear fell from her cheek, but I don't think they were sad tears because her smile made it seem like one of relief. I was happy that she finally seemed to understand, but before I could say good bye, she got her last word in first.

“I'll try my best to make sure you're off the hook, but you have to promise me something too.” I looked her in the eye, but it gave nothing nothing away.

“What is it?” She looked at the officer as if he were interfering with personal business, but he had no intention of moving. She sighed and looked at me with an annoyed expression.

“Make it for me. Become someone that anyone would be proud to know. I
want to know that I didn't give up my freedom for nothing. I don't know what happened in Manchester, but here I want you to make it. Promise me.” I just looked at her. I've never met anyone who would want such a thing after all that's happened. Least of all for the person that they set free.

“If the Lord wants that for me, and all goes according to his planned then I would have no problem in doing what you've asked. You have to promise me something
too though. Promise me that you won't give up on life, and that you will keep God as the
head. That you'll keep being faithful. I know that your confused that I'm not upset with you, but because you did the right thing in the end I don't want to see you fail.” When I finished my proclamation she had the most surprised look I'd probably ever see her with. That is if I saw her at all. She hit my back with a profound strength that I'd never thought I feel from a woman.

“Of course I won't, What are you talking about? I thought you knew that I had it together Brown. I'll have you know that I'm not the type to lose that easy.” I smiled at what I saw in her eyes. Strength, and probably enough faith to move a mountain. She was right, I was better off worrying about myself than worrying about her. As long as she had her faith and good works, she had God. I can testify more than most to that since I was free after the threat of a life sentence.

“Okay, I just wanted to make sure you understood how I felt, and I also
wanted to see how you felt as well doing what you did.” She smiled, but then no sooner than it appeared it was replaced by a look of urgency. I turned to see what you was staring at, but I saw nothing. I believed I checked every angle before I turned back to face her, but where she once was no one stood. She ditched me? For some reason I had a feeling that this wasn't something she wouldn't do. I chuckled at this thought, and turned to go to my car.
.
.
.

I couldn't say it was a long drive to the county jail, but I couldn't necessarily say that it was a short one either. What I could say was that there were a lot of things on my mind on the way there. What was I going to say to here? What was she going to say to me? Was God okay with this? Was making this move truly his will? I wondered, and wondered, and wondered about it. The next thing I knew was that I was right in front of it. I couldn't say I missed the desolate land surrounding the jail, but I can say that I was
glad to get out of there last time I did see it. So in a way it was nostalgic to see it again. In a very weird way though. The morning of the trial something had told me to call the jail to make an appointment. I figured when I got here I would see what I had to see, so I decided to come even though I had a lot of bad memories here. A lot of people would call me crazy, but I would call me curious.

Getting through the service desk was easy, but after that I started having
trouble again. I started recognizing some of the officers, and I saw some of them had started to recognize me as well. I didn't really think of this as a good thing. Then of all the officers, I accidentally ran into the Warden. He regarded me with a dark smile when I had apologized for running into him.

“Hello, Mr. Brown. I didn't expect you to be anywhere around here anytime soon. Are you here for a visit?” I nodded.

“Yes, I am. I'm sure you remember Sabrina right? The girl I was previously acquainted with?” He nodded as well.

“Of course I do. As a matter of fact, let me lead you right to her. She isn't that far away.” Before I could respectively decline, he turned around and started to walk in the direction he came from. Like the drive here it wasn't particularly long or short, but that was just because I had a lot on my mind again. I was pretty sure the Warden hated the fact that I got out of this prison, but if that is so why was he pretending to be nice to me now? What was he up to? Then without warning he spoke.

“She is in this room Mr. Brown. I hope you two have a nice time chatting.” Before I could express my thanks, he walked off in a hurry like he couldn't stand to be next to me for another moment. Of course he would be mad though. In his eyes he lost a battle he had been raging since he became Warden, but it easy to see that he hadn't lost
the war. I opened the door, and saw the girl that I had been in love with for the last three
years. It was a sight to see. Her, her hair, the way she was always so composed. I thanked God for giving me the perfect love. I hoped that she had found a way to get closer him herself. Only when we are both sure that we are to be each others helper can we truly be together.

“Sabrina, it's good to see you again. I-I-,” before I could say something stupid she got up and hugged me for what felt like an eternity. An eternity with someone I loved sounded good anyway. From now on with the guidance of God, if he wishes it to be, I'll make a perfect example of what a man is supposed to be in his lover's life.

“It's so good to see you again.” She said this pulling back from me in a very graceful manner. “I didn't think you'd come so soon. I'm guessing since you are here though that you were proven innocent.” I looked her in the eye and smiled before being taken in by her warm embrace once more. She laughed in a way I had never seen her laugh, but even so every bit of it was still her. Than she whispered something unintelligible under her breath.

“What was that?” I asked, afraid something might be wrong. She looked at me, and her smile sort of dimmed as if she were sad about something. “Is something wrong Sabrina?” She shook her head. Then took my hand.

“Nothing you need to worry about lover boy, but I want you to promise me something.” I had eyebrows raised. Again with this promise stuff? What a day.

“What is it. I'll do anything that God will allow.” She smiled and said something I had never expected for her to say.

“I don't want to see you anymore.” She said with her face now completely serious. All of the my breathe left my body. All that we've been through, and we weren't going to be together? “No,” She said looking away deep in thought. “I worded it wrong.
Don't come and visit me at this jail anymore.” This time I was able to react in time.

“Why not? What are you going to do?” She looked away as if I were making her say something she didn't want to say. Even if that is the case I still want to know here answer.

“I'm going to get myself together for you.” She said suddenly. It was so embarrassing that are started laughing, and realizing how embarrassing it was she punched me.

“Ow. I can't help it if you just go and say things like that. I mean really?” She turned away, and mumbled something else unintelligible. Then she turned toward me again.

“You really have a mouth on you don't you lover boy?” I closed my eyes and laughed again, and this time she laughed with me. When we were finished we just sat for a while, enjoying the silence. We both knew we would be saying goodbye to each other soon for the whole year. Thinking about it now it seems like I can cheer her on. I
think I could sense that she was understanding why we both needed God in our lives to be together.

What use would it be to get together on a whim, and then break up three years from now? We needed to build a foundation on sound rock. We needed to build it in Jesus name, so that we can keep the peace with each other. If we both do it we'll know if we want to be with each other. That reminded me.

“How have the boys been doing?” I said this so suddenly that it took her a moment to take the question in, but after a moment she answered.

“They seem okay now, but they were really bummed that you stopped hanging out with them. I wouldn't worry though,” she said with a nonchalant smile. “They've been really going at it in the Sunday School's we used to go to.” She pushed
my shoulder expecting for me to show how happy I was, and I did. It seemed like
everyone was going in the right direction. Was this what it was like to be at peace? I
thought so because I couldn't thin of anything that could be better than this. Everything was so calm, but it felt like it couldn't last forever. That's the feeling I was getting. It was feeling more and more like the calm before the storm.

“That's great. I knew that idiot Jackie Miller had it in him.” I said this with a bit of edginess in my voice. I hoped that she didn't notice. I turned to see her looking at me with something fierce in her eyes. She knew, but she let me off and began smiling
again. Women are very scary you never know what's going through their heads. We enjoyed the rest of that day in peace, and took our time saying goodbye to each other. I could still see her happy face from the windows waving frantically at me as I drove away.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.