Just Dance | Teen Ink

Just Dance

January 23, 2016
By ObsessedPanhead BRONZE, Avonmore, Pennsylvania
More by this author
ObsessedPanhead BRONZE, Avonmore, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Normal? What's that? It's a setting on a washing machine-nobody wants to be that,"-Ashley Purdy


“So Jess, are you going to the homecoming dance tomorrow night,” asked my friend Lillian as we sat on a nearby bench. We were waiting for the city bus to take us home from school. She turned towards me and pushed her thick, baby-blue framed glasses up her ski-jump nose and waited for my answer.
“Honestly, I don’t know. No one asked me yet,” I stated, a bit sheepishly. I finger-combed my dirty-blond hair out of my face and sighed, peering through my own pink and black framed glasses, “no one wants to ask a socially awkward, clumsy person to a dance, you know?”
“Still, you’re super pretty Jess. You got that working for ya! And I’ve seen you dance-you are better than you think. You could take the floor solo and leave people’s jaws on the floor for a week!”
“Haha. I’ve been tripping over invisible shoelaces since I was ten, Lil. It’s easy for you, you’re so coordinated and pretty. Brian is lucky to have you,” I said, digging in my backpack for a hair band. The wind is nasty!
“Brian or no Brian, I’d still go. C’mon Jess, it’ll be fun! Plus, you only have an evening left to decide.”
“Which is one reason why I’m not going,” I commented, tightening my now-high pony tail. My violin case started to fall over. Quickly, I brought my leg up to catch it as it was in mid-fall, the grabbed it and leaned it against the bench, “Mrs. Nechu gave us like, two pages of French translation and it’s due first thing tomorrow. I’m only half done. That’s not even counting all the Algebra problems, an English creative writing story…does it sound like I can go anyhow?”
“So? Ditch it! That’s what the cool people do,” said Lillian, making the peace sign to signify “cool”.
“Oh yeah, I totally want to risk failing ninth grade yet again and really embarrass myself more than I do already,” I exclaimed, “plus, I like creative writing. A lot.”
“You’re so weird Jess.”
Just then, the blue and grey charter bus rounded the corner and parked in front of us, opening its doors to the passengers at the stop. Quickly, I grabbed my violin and backpack and let Lillian go on first before I hustled in.
“Mom, I’m home,” I called as I walked in to the front door. The bell rang overhead as the doors edge hit it, making it echo through the house. I took off my shoes and threw my backpack on the couch, barely pausing before walking to the kitchen. No one had answered me but there was a folded up piece of paper with a heart drawn on sitting on the table. Carefully, I opened it.
Dear Jess, I went to the store to get ingredients for dinner. Be good and don’t leave the house without telling me first. Love mom. <3
Yay! Home alone for a bit! That’s always nice. I smiled, sitting the note back down then walking to the fridge, grabbing a bottle of Coke Life then grabbing my computer and switching it on. I sat both on the nearby coffee table and nestled into the couch beside my backpack. Might as well start my creative writing.
I had just opened Microsoft Word when a video call request popped up on my screen from Lillian. I tapped the “Accept” button and minimized the screen.
“Hey girl. What are you doing?”
“Right now? Trying to wrack my brain for creative writing.”
“That stinks. You just got home though right? You never start homework just after you get home.”
“Well…”
“Are you changing your mind on the dance?”
I drummed my fingers on my computer as I allowed myself to think. I didn’t know how to answer that, the dance did sound fun. Just not going without a date, which I’m not allowed to do yet. Still…I only have one life.
“Maybe. Slowly if I am,” I said with uncertainty. I pulled the video chat screen up, meeting Lillian face to face in her baggy sweatshirt, the background of her bright, messy room contrasting with her dark clothing style.
“You gotta make up your mind soon you know.”
“I know. And it might be easier if I have this assignment out of the way first,” I pointed out.
“Ah, okay I get the hint. I should shoo if you wanna concentrate,” she said semi-jokingly, making us both laugh.
“Hey message me,” I said,” I can actually do that and write.”
“Ya got it. See ya!”
I clicked the End Call button and slumped back on the couch, letting out a brief sigh. Indecisiveness is so annoying. Well, aside from not being allowed to date. And when I can’t get that one note right in a song. That got me to thinking, why can’t I write about a musician? After all, the teacher said she didn’t care what we wrote about as long as it was school appropriate.
I grinned and started typing.

The next day was Saturday-the day of the dance. I woke up that morning and just laid awake in bed, debating whether to go alone or not. Becky was going with her boyfriend, John, and I bet Lil would be going with Brian. So that kinda left me on my own. Honestly, I like being alone sometimes anyway.
I was broken out of my thoughts by my iPod suddenly breaking into Monster by Skillet. Okay so when I set an alarm I mean business. Apparently I forgot to turn it off for the weekend, and it was sitting on my desk, just blaring. I grunted, not wanting to leave my nice warm bed, but eventually I got up and headbanged as I walked over to hit the snooze button. Yawning, I quickly changed into my signature skinny jeans and music-merch shirt. Today it was my Rise shirt (Skillets latest album). I glanced over to my violin case, neatly tucked into the corner between my desk and the stand that held my empty fish tank. I resolved to practice my competition piece after everyone was awake and around. I didn’t want to cause unnecessary headaches.
I grabbed a hair tie and slipped it on my wrist and grabbing my hairbrush. I dragged my mirror over and leaned it on my door. I grabbed my makeup bag and sat cross-legged in front of the mirror. Quickly I pulled my hair back into a ponytail and quickly applied a thin layer of concealer and a bit of dark eyeshadow and mascara. I smiled at my reflection before putting everything away and walking down the hallway, tip toeing past my brother and sisters room. They were young enough to get away with that. Matthew-AKA Matt-is six and my sister, Bella is ten months old. For a baby, she is really quiet and shy.
I quickly bounded down the steps and walked through the downstairs. No one but me was awake, evidently. I did an evil smirk and opened the cupboard, taking out the tin of coffee and set up the coffee maker. My parents and I both love coffee. I quickly measured out enough for each of us and hit the button to start brewing the coffee. I stretched and looked out the window, noticing the orange and yellow leaves on the trees in our yard. I smiled and leaned on the counter, staring outside for a good bit of time, allowing my mind to wander. Then, I got a great story idea and dashed to my computer, switching it on. I typed in my passcode and waited for it to boot up.
“Morning Jess,” I heard behind me. I turned and smiled at Matt as he walked in. I rustled his hair-I can do that when his faux hawk isn’t gelled yet-and replied, “Morning buddy. Sleep well?”
He nodded and peered up at me with dark brown eyes before hugging me tightly. I hugged him back and gave him a small kiss on the head. Despite our eight year age difference, we were very close siblings.
“You hungry,” I asked, ruffling his hair again, this time earning a look.
“Yes! Do we have any Kix left?”
I nodded and pulled the box out from the cereals while he got the bowl and the spoon. I quickly got out blueberries and the milk. As he made the cereal I got out the hot chocolate mix and marshmallows to make mocha with when the coffee was ready.
Matt looked over at the coffee maker and raised his eyebrow at me, “Jess, are you making all that for one person?”
I giggled, “No, it’s for mom, dad and I.”
“You’re nutso enough without coffee,” he said, taking a bite of cereal.
“I know, but what can I say?”
“What you always say. YOLO!”
I giggled again and took the coffee off the heater, pouring it into my insulated cup, then adding the hot chocolate and marshmallows. Just then, my Skype popped up with a call request from Lillian.
“Hey Matt, can you answer that? Just press the green button,” I said, stirring everything together. I walked over as he hit the button and Lilly’s face popped onto the screen. She looked like she had literally just jumped out of bed. Her hair was hanging un-brushed and she had no makeup on.
“Hey girl! Wow are you seriously ready to be awake,” she asked as I sat in front of the camera. I grinned and held up my cup, “You really should try coffee.”
“Nahhh. I have to refuse drugs, y’know,” she said teasingly.
I laughed and took a sip, “Don’t worry, you don’t get addicted to caffeine right off the bat.”
“Anywho,” she said, “I called to ask if you would like to go to the mall with me today? I have everything but a dress for the dance. I know, lame.”
I sipped my coffee again and nodded, “If I can knock out my algebra homework, then maybe I’ll be able to come,” I stated. She nodded and brushed a strand of hair behind her ear, “Becky is coming too and wants to talk to you about her dress too.”
“Why’s everyone wanting to ask me? My fashion sense isn’t that great.”
“Unless you are thinking up costumes for videos, or giving people makup tips.”
“True that. But I have zero experience with semi-formal dances,” I responded, tightening my ponytail.
“So? Jess, there are always firsts in life,” Lilly stated, “Anyway…I also called to tell you that I overheard Sean talking about you to his buddies the other day.”
“Sean? Sean…Jackson?”
“The one and only. And from what I hear he’s, like, totally interested in you.”
I laughed, trying not to choke on my coffee, “Lil, not even a bag of potatoes would be interested in me.”
“Oh, stop being so negative, you’re gorgeous! Hey Matt,” she said.
Matt looked up from the half-empty bowl, “Hi Lilly!”
“Do you think your sister is pretty?”
“I have the prettiest sister in the whole world,” he answered, looking at us with boyish innocence.
“Yeaaah, but you’re my brother, I mean you kinda have to say that,” I pointed out.
“Anyway,” Lilly continued, “he said he wanted to date you.”
“So why are you telling me,” I asked, pulling out my creative writing notes.
“That’s what friends do though, right?”
I lightly chewed on my pencil, thinking. I wasn’t really crushing on anyone, much less Sean. He was a good friend, but that’s all we were, at least I thought.
“I’m glad you told me. Anyway, yeah, I’ll see if I can go to the mall with you guys later,” I said. And with that, we said goodbye and I steadily started in on my homework.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.