Gunpoint | Teen Ink

Gunpoint

By delaneygreeson, Indianapolis, Indiana
delaneygreeson, Indianapolis, Indiana

I decided to write about a school shooting because there have been many shootings in the United States and it is an issue that needs to be fixed.

The trees along the path were reflecting brightly with orange, red, and yellow. The breeze flew swiftly across the sky, taking the leaves with it. It was a bright beautiful day in October and I was on my way to highschool, listening to my favorite song knowing that today was going to be a good day. I parked my car farthest away from the door so I would be able to enjoy the weather before I walked inside. Strolling happily along the sidewalk admiring my new tennis shoes,  I walked into the school. There was a big sign on the wall that said, “All Sophomores head to room 326.” I wondered why today would be any different and why only the sophomores were asked to attend, but instead of questioning it, I did as I was told. When I arrived to room 326 I saw the rest of my class, besides several other people that haven’t arrived yet, but the first person I picked out was Em. Her real name was Emma Brooks but ever since kindergarten she has gone by Em. She has long brown hair that had a natural curl with blonde highlights that blends down to the ends.  She has bright, blue eyes with tan, clear skin that had a few freckles around her nose. She was wearing washed out blue jeans with a white t-shirt and a flannel tied loosely around tiny her waist. The door made a loud noise as it shut behind me and I walked over to a group of boys sitting at a long rectangular table. Sitting at the table was my best friend, Rylee.

“What’s going on guys?” I asked while I set my backpack down on the ground. They all cut off their conversations, smiled, and exclaimed my arrival and then continued to talk. In the next 10 minutes a few more people walked inside of the room and sat at a table themselves. All the sophomore teachers sat in chairs at the front of the room facing us and one began to call for our attention. The room became very quiet to the point where there were a few whispers but they quickly cut of as Mrs. Jefferson cleared her throat.

“You all are here today because we have many new students that I would like to introduce. We also need everyone to introduce themselves by saying what their name is.” Mrs. Jefferson pronounced. Our school is very small and has about 100 per class. Whenever we get about 15 new students we have to introduce ourselves to them. Having friends is very important in our school because you can’t walk in the streets by yourself or you will be harmed by other citizens in our town. There isn’t the best security here in our school, the doors have to be locked in every class and the glass is very thin.

First the teachers introduced themselves and what subject they taught. Then they had all the new students stand in the front of the room and say their first name and where they were from. There were about 7 girls and 5 boys that stood in the front of the room.  The first girl stood up with a nervous expression on her face

“Hello my na-” She then brought her arm up to her face in a ninety degree angle and made a face that was like she was about to explode, her head banged forward, but there was no sound. Her face became a bright red as she held her left arm tightly with her right hand and began to sway slowly in her place.

“Bless you?” some people in the room questioned.

“Excuse me.” She began to giggle as she restarted her sentence

“Hello my name is Elena. I am from New Jersey and I just moved here recently over the summer.” She looked back at the teachers to get the confirmation that she was able to sit down. Mrs. Schmidt nodded and smiled in her direction. Elena quickly walked back to her seat and sat down with her head on the table. After that the rest of the students began to introduce themselves. One of the girls moved from Africa and seemed to be very excited to be here. The boys were all from Virginia so they were friends already. As each of them introduced each other they tried their best not to laugh by tucking their faces under their sweatshirts and when each finished they would pat each other on the back and give one another highfives just as any good friends would do. After each of them introduced themselves, Mrs. Jefferson started to speak.

“Thank you all for introducing yourselves I hope you all find yourselves here in Clark County High School. Now I would like all of our students to stand and give their names.”   Everyone started standing and saying their names as quickly as possible, it was near 10 minutes until my table started to speak.

“Jesse Meyer.”

“Payton Riley.”

“Noah Williams.”

I stood up, with a smirk on my face. “Mason Miller.”

I began to sit down when there was a loud crash that filled the whole school. The noise sounded as if you were sitting in a movie theatre with top volume and there was a volcano that had exploded. There were gasps. There were screams. The girls started hugging each other as if they were seeing each other for the last time. Many students rushed towards the window and doors to see if they could figure out what it was. I pulled out my phone and texted as many upperclassman that i could think of to see if they heard it and knew what it was. Some people said that there was kid who chucked all the desks and chairs on the ground, but it couldn’t of been. It was much, much louder. The teachers all stood up, moved their hands up and down as a signal to sit. They attempted to break up groups that crowded around the windows and doors. No one would budge.

“Everyone take a seat right now and turn your phones off!!, Mr. Johnson shouted, “This is unacceptable behavior.” the students took their seats and put their phones in their pockets. It was so quiet that you could hear a penny hit the floor in room 326.

“Yes, I know that there was a very loud, concerning noise but that does not give anyone the right to act as you guys did. We are trying to figure out what it was so just remain calm. Now where were we?”

“Beckett Anderson.”

“Carter Cohen.”

“Will Wright.”

Then the rest of the tables continued to introduce themselves. Everyone was dead silent other than the people introducing.  Fear in their eyes. No laughter. No smiles. Frightened faces filled the room. It took about 30 minutes to get through everyone especially with the...delay. Once everyone was done the teachers continued to speak about our school and all the “positive” things they could think of. Finally they finished and we were able to grab our stuff and head to our first period class. All the students started crowding around the door and were shoving one another into the hallway. 8:42 am.

“Lockdown. Lockdown. Lockdown.”  the announcements went off. The teachers began to yell.

“Everyone get back into room 326 right now!” The students then turned around and rushed back inside the room.

“Is this real?”

“Is this a drill?” Many began to ask. The teachers and students then began to push desks and chairs and tables, just about anything they could think of to baraque the door.

“I guess it’s not a drill then,” Jesse said smiling. The teachers closed the blinds and had all the students hide where they couldn't be seen from the door. I was crushed up against the wall with my friends beside me. Many were against the wall that you couldn’t see from the door. Some were hidden under the teacher’s desk. Some hid in cabinets. The announcements didn’t say anything else. The room soon became very quiet. The students were very frightened. Some faces were as white as a ghost and some began to cry like they would never live for tomorrow. I buried my head into my knees and closed my eyes trying to wake up from my dream. Jesse nudged me and said,

“Wow these new students must really like this school.” He always took bad situations and turned them into a joke, whatta happy guy he is. I then began to worry about Em. Was she okay? DId she make it back in the room? I whispered to anyone who could hear me,

“Is Em hidden in the room?” nobody answered but some shrugged. I yelled across the room, risking all the sophomores lives,

“Is Em hidden in the room?!”

“SHHHHHHH!!” everyone said in unison. I didn’t care at this point, I needed to find her, I needed to see if she was ok.” I got up out of my spot against the wall. Rylee grabbed my wrist and pulled me back.

“What do you think you’re doing? You are going to get yourself or anyone else killed. Do you hear me?” I didn’t care what he said. I didn’t want her to die. Everyone’s eyes followed my exact movement as I stood up and began to walk. I headed towards the door and I didn’t look behind me because I knew everyone disapproved of my actions. Mr. Johnson ran up to me and grabbed me by my arm as tightly as possible. He knew I could shake him off.

“I need you to sit down right away because I'm in charge of everyone here in this room and I do not want anyone of you to have a scratch on your skin.” I looked him directly in his brown, old eyes. They were wise, I could just tell. I knew what he was saying was true and I knew he was right but I had a feeling inside my gut that I knew if I didn’t leave the room, she would get killed. The one person I truly care about would be gone and I would be stuck thinking about her in grief for the rest of my life. He was still holding me tightly. I saw his eyes and in them was worrisome. I looked at the door with all the tables and chairs piled on top of eachother, and I looked at the window of the door. It was small but it was there. I imagined Em, what she was going through right about now. I threw my arm out of his grip and I ran. I pushed all the desks and chairs over which made a very loud noise that I regretted right away because I knew I was risking everyone's lives even more. I looked back at Mr. Johnson he knew I was scared and he didn’t try to stop me for the second time. I looked down the hallway to make sure I didn’t hear or see anything. I yelled at him to lock and baraque the door again after I left and then I was gone. I ran down the hallway with light steps so I couldn’t be heard. I stopped. I Heard nothing and continued to run. I reached a bathroom and checked in there.

“Em? Are you in here?” I whispered. No response.

“There is an intruder in the building. They are short and is wearing a black hoodie with a mask and jeans. They are by room 324 please stay calm and quiet.” The speakers announced.  I was by room 333. He was very close. I froze. My heart pounding in my chest and butterflies flying quickly in my stomach hitting every part of my body with all the strength they had. I stopped. I thought about how I might never see my friends and family again. I didn't realize how much I was risking. Then I continued to think about Em and I continued to find her, I left the bathrooms and ran even quicker down the hallway knowing that he was closer to me than before. I ran into the cafeteria and no one could be found. I heard steps. I froze. I need to hide, I need to hide. That’s all that ran through my head. I ran under a table and pushed the chairs in so It would be harder to see me. The steps became closer and closer and closer. I didn't see anyone. I turned around and my shoe hit the chair’s leg. I made a small noise and the steps stopped. I held my breath. I can't be heard, not now. The steps continued. They got closer and closer. I saw two legs. They were wearing washed out ripped jeans. It was Em. I was sure of it, but I couldn’t risk it so I stayed down. Chairs began to get knocked down and pushed out of the way. Then I began to think that maybe it wasn't her. The chairs continued to make a loud noise as they were being chucked over onto the floor. They were right next to the table I was hidden under. I closed my eyes and covered my ears. If I was going to die I didn't want to hear my own bullet get shot. It stopped. The chairs were no longer making any noise. An image popped into my head. There was a face. It had very bright green eyes but the rest of it was covered in a black mask. They were probably two inches from my own face and was staring into my eyes. I could tell that they were smiling under the mask because their eyes became smaller at the bottom. I closed my eyes even harder to get the image out and then I began to open them slowly. I was scared the face would be right infront of mine. Luckily, It was only in my head, and when I opened my eyes, the legs were gone. I looked around and saw nothing. I heard nothing it was completely silent. I waited about 2 more minutes until I decided I needed to leave. I pushed a chair out from under the table and quickly but quietly removed myself from under it. I looked around and nothing was there so I continued to run in the other direction. There was nothing but doors in a blank hallway that headed west. I decided to head towards the freshman center. It wasn’t to far away from room 326, where I originally was. I went into the freshman cafeteria and stopped. I heard nothing. BOOM! It was definitely the sound of a bullet breaking smoothly through the air and it was close. I heard a scream and right away I knew it was Em’s. I ran towards the sound. It was in the auditorium. I was in the very back and the man was in the front and Em was hiding behind a few chairs.

“STOP DON’T SHOOT!” I screamed. He aimed the gun towards me. I put both my hands in the air.

“You do not need to do this, there is no point.” He continued to aim the gun towards me in silence.. I started walking down the stairs continuing to keep my hands up. He didn’t shoot but the gun was still aimed towards me. Em made a noise as she moved towards the back of the auditorium and he turned around as quickly as possible and aimed his gun towards her. BOOM! He shot again and this time it hit her. I sprinted down the steps and I jumped on top of him when I got close. I began to tackle him and beat him and I finally knocked the gun out of his hand. He was unable to move. I picked up the gun and held it against his head. As I held the gun in my hand I felt disgusted with myself. I knew I would never be able to kill someone but I kept my control and pretended as I would so I had more power than him. My hand began to shake but he didn’t seem to realize.

“What is your name?” I asked forcefully. He gave no response. I pushed the cold gun harder against his skin.

“I said, What is your name?!” I realized I began to scream.

“Allan Edwards! My name is Allan Edwards.” He said trembling

“Okay...Allan, you are going to leave this school without your gun and never return and in a few days you will be taken to jail so you better say your goodbyes. Do you understand?”

“Yes, yes. I am sorry.” He said. I pulled his mask off and threw it on the ground. I jerked him up and continued to hold his hands behind his back with the gun still pointed towards his forehead. I led him outside and told him to run as far away as he could. I let go of his hands and he sprinted. I ran into the room where the microphone was,

“Everyone this is Mason Miller, call 911 right at this moment and tell them that Allan Edwards was just at Clark County High School with a gun in his hand and has shot Emma Brooks. He escaped the school unarmed but we need Em to head to the hospital as soon as possible. It is safe, You can be released from the classrooms.” I ran back towards the auditorium and layed down on my knees next to Em. I threw the gun down onto the floor and checked her pulse. I couldn't tell if her heart was still beating so I laid my head over her heart to listen for a beat. Suddenly everyone rushed into the auditorium and ran up to me and Em.

“What happened?”

“Are you guys okay?” Many began to ask

“I don’t have time for questions!,” I demanded, “I don’t hear or feel a pulse we need to get her to the hospital right now.” I began to hear sirens and firefighters and policemen ran inside the building.

“Is everyone okay?!” A deep voice of a policemen called from the otherside of the auditorium.

“We have one with no pulse who has been shot we need medical attention right now!” I yelled back. They took her away. I was so scared that I would never see her beautiful blue eyes open again. I gave the gun to a cop and explained to him exactly what happened. Then I drove myself to the hospital to see if Em was okay. I walked into the hospital with a bouquet of flowers in my hand that I could give to her to show excitement that she’s okay. I went up to the front office and told the women sitting there that I was here to see Emma Brooks. I sat in the waiting room for about 5 minutes and they finally called me in. I walked into the room and she was asleep in her hospital bed.

“Wait, why is there no heartbeat on the screen?” I asked concerningly

“Oh, I am so sorry I thought you knew, um what’s your name?” The nurse replied.

“Mason.”

“I am so sorry Mason, um, Emma has passed away due to loss of blood.” She looked down at her feet, I could tell that she has had to tell many people this before but it was still hard for her to say.

“I will be back shortly.” She said as she put her hand on my shoulder and looked at me with a sympathetic face. These words hit me harder than any wrecking ball could hit a building. I sat down and stared at her beautiful face. I set the flowers in her hands and I said goodbye. I began to cry as I left the room. The next day we didn't have school due to the tragedy that occurred previously. I stayed at home, hardly able to do anything but lay in my bed with grief overflowing my body. I always came back to blaming myself for what happened. I could’ve been quicker. I could've saved her. A week had passed and I had gone back to school since then but I was still seeing the world with dead eyes. My friends all knew that It was hard for me to be happy again and Jesse of course tried to cheer me up but a smile couldn’t cross my face. She was gone.