Month of Hope | Teen Ink

Month of Hope

October 11, 2018
By ElijahHardy BRONZE, San Pedro, California
More by this author
ElijahHardy BRONZE, San Pedro, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The author's comments:

there is only one chapter

Free choice monday #7

This month is about to be so lit. Normally I don’t have much to talk about on free choice monday’s but today marks the start of October. I know that isn’t really much to a normal person, but it isn’t for me. TODAY MARKS THE START OF OCTOBER. Ok let me explain. Everybody knows that October is the month of Halloween. And even though Halloween is a one day event we all know that Halloween is actually the full month. I mean think about it everyone starts decorating their houses, the stores become halloween themed, halloween music is now played everywhere, tv shows become based on halloween, candy is given everywhere, the classrooms get decorated. I know that might seem like a lot already but there’s more. To save time though and get to the good stuff I’ll just skip that for now. So basically, last year was a pretty fun Halloween. Kind of. Ok not really. Sure I got to do a little bit more but because of my horrible grades I really didn’t get to go out or do anything. However, this year I’m bringing the heat with a 3.2 gpa 2 C’s that will be B’s soon, I think I can pull it off. I am doing my chores on time and I am staying on my p’s and q’s. Basically what I am saying is now there’s no excuse for my mom to not let me go out and have fun on Halloween. Looking back in my childhood I am now noticing that my bad Halloweens out number my good ones. It kind of sucks, but I am going to try and make up for it. I plan on going to Knott’s, the queen mary ship thing or whatever it’s called, hanging out with friends all throughout this month, going to a couple of halloween parties, I’m going to be in a maze, going to an escape room, and on halloween day I’m going trick or treating. Now most of this sounds childish, and it is. I thoroughly don’t give two craps about everybody else’s opinions on this though. My mom kind of forced me to be mature way too fast and I remember all through middle school, 5th grade, and freshman and sophomore year I didn’t go trick or treating once. It has been 6 years. 6 YEARS. I am not a big fan of Halloween and I know it isn’t an actual holiday, but nobody can tell me that it isn’t fun. Free candy? Scary mazes? Scary theme parks? Halloween parties? Nobody can honestly tell me none of that sounds fun. Plus, for high schoolers I feel like it’s a lot more fun than when you are a little kid. I could live without going trick or treating, but all the other stuff I don’t know man. I live in Compton. All of my friends live out near Pedro. When I go home there’s nothing to do. I would go out but it is so sketchy. People in Compton die on Halloween. So basically when I go home everyday, even when it’s not Halloween, I literally do nothing fun. While everyone on the weekends are having fun with friends and family and what not, I am playing video games home alone with my brother. And don’t get me wrong it’s not boring, but it also isn’t fun. I like going out and doing things I’m an athlete. I’m social. Sitting in home all the time could be fun sometimes but it gets boring over time. Especially when you’ve been doing it for 8 years. Halloween gives me hope. Halloween is the one month where it is literally all about having fun with friends. You don’t sit down and have family dinner on Halloween, you go out with friends. And that’s why the whole month of October has a new name this year. This year it is the month of Hope. Hope, that I will go out and have fun with friends that I don’t see much cause we go to different schools. Hope, that by the time Halloween comes up I have a girlfriend to share my time with. Hope, that I am not ever bored and there’s always something to do, somewhere to go. Hope, that I finally finish and fill in all the gaps that my childhood never filled.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.