hunting wih friends | Teen Ink

hunting wih friends

My alarm went off and I rolled over and groaned. I hit the snooze when my brother came in and turned on my lights. “Get up we have to get ready.”He said so loud I am pretty sure our neighbors 1 mile away could hear him.  We were supposed to meet my buddies at Hood’s to eat breakfast before we went dove hunting.I pulled on my overalls and hat, picked up the bucket with shells and decoys and walked down the stairs. I put the code into the safe and pulled my shotgun out and then my brothers. We had rush because we needed to go to breakfast. We jumped in the truck and took off down the driveway.
I pulled into Hood’s and my friends weren't even there yet. We were sitting in the car for barely thirty seconds when they pulled up.We all were wearing our camo, I am pretty sure no one could see us.  We all walked in and sat down at a table and ordered our drinks. I got pancakes, sausage links, and hash browns We all finished our food quickly because we all could not wait to hunt. We finished our food then they all jumped in the back of my truck as we drove to the field we were gonna hunt in.
We were driving down the road which was quite a sight. Imagine if you saw a bunch of boys driving down the road holding shotguns in the back of a truck. We got to the field without getting pulled over, all of them jumping out of the truck as I turned it off. We began filling up buckets with shells and decoys all carrying our own bucket. We climbed over the gate at the hinge. You know a city boy when they don't climb the gate at the hinge because it is the strongest point in the gate and if you climb away from it you will break the fence. We all got over using proper gun safety and began trekking across the field. It was a lot longer than we remembered it being but we finally got there and took a corner of the field and sat down to wait for some bird to fly by. We waited and waited but we didn't see any birds close enough and heard some shots while we waited. When we were walking into the field there were some birds we spooked and they landed in the middle of the field. We had waited about thirty minutes but felt like hours. I called Kile quietly and  said “ What ya think? Should we all meet at the top of the field and walk down it to try to scare some birds up.” He said “ Well it couldn't hurt. You call Race and I’ll call Joe.” I tried calling Race and he didn't answer but we were close enough I just yelled really loud “ Race, Race Come here!!!” He sat up he had been laying down; I waved him to come towards me. He started walking towards me and said “ Thanks for waking me up from my nap.” Laughing as he said it. I told him the plan as we were headed to meet the other. We all spread out across the width of the field and began walking down the field as a bird jumped out of the grass I called out “bird” as Race pulled up and shot. Just as the shot rang out the bird went limp suddenly dropping and took a fall back down to earth. We were so eager to pick it up and just about that time another one burst from the grass and I lifted the gun and pulled the trigger and it continued flying. I jacked the shell as smoothly as I could and shot again making it go limp as I watched it crash back to earth.My adrenaline was so high,  i went over as fast as I could and pillaged through the grass and saw its lifeless body lying limp in the grass . We walked the rest of the field with a little pimp in our step since we shot 2 birds and so we walked back to the truck to continue onto another field where there may be some doves. We were driving down the road and we saw a ton of doves on the power lines as we were driving down the road we were really excited. We go to the field and saw some doves flying around as we walked into the field the dove began to scatter. We still went and set up under some cover hoping they would come back, we waited for a while and we saw one, Race was going to shoot it, but he ran out of bullets. By the time Race figured out he ran out of bullets, it was too far away. We waited and waited and sadly didn't see anything else.

As a boy who has grown up doing these things everyday, this is what I love to do. It didn't matter that we didn't see many birds, what matters is spending the time with friends that are more like family. . I think if more people experienced this feeling and appreciated hunting as much as I do, then the world would understand the true feeling of shooting that bird perfectly with your best friends right beside you.