The 'Take-Over' | Teen Ink

The 'Take-Over'

February 10, 2020
By Anonymous

Author's note:

this story is about the big break in her anxiety

 
“The Take-over”
            Sitting in the corner of a dark, quiet room, the room was spinning, her chest felt heavy, she can’t stop shaking, tears rushing down her face, her heart was pounding as if it was going to jump out of her chest, she kept thinking to herself, is this ever going to stop?
“Maze are you with us?” Kathy asked, Maze looked up and nodded her head. “So, let talk about what been going on”, said Kathy
“Well” said Maze, “Me and Tabitha are fighting, my mom and I are arguing, and I have a really stressful day tomorrow.”
“Well Maze try to make things right with your mom and Tabitha, and for school just remember to use your coping skills” Kathy said trying to reassure Maze.
“I guess you’re right, I’ll try my best” said Maze
“Good we will talk more about this next session” said Kathy.
Maze left feeling a bit better but still was anxious about everything that’s going on. When Maze got home her and her mom once again got into it about the same things. Maze’s mom had a bit of a drinking problem and her dad left them, so there was a lot of tension between them. Maze went to bed that night filled with sadness, anxiety, and dreading the next day.
The next day Maze walks into school and immediately feels like there’s an elephant sitting on her chest, her palms begin to sweat, but she tries her best to ignore it. As she walks in she sees Tabitha, her ex best friend. Tabitha was the stereotypical popular girl she never really cared about Maze. They are fighting because Maze found out that Tabitha was talking sh*t on her and Maze didn’t want that in her life. As Maze walked by Tabitha she could hear her and her friend laughing, she could feel them staring at her. Now the weight on her chest felt heavier.
“Maze over here,” yelled Makayla
Makayla was one of Maze’s friends, she was more of rebel. Makayla didn’t really care if people liked her but she was a very loyal friend. Maze headed towards Makayla.
            “Hey Makayla what up?” Maze said quietly.
            “Are you ok, you look like your carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders” Makayla asked.
            “Ya I’m ok, Tabitha and her friends are just giving me a hard time” Maze said with a bit of pain hidden in her voice.
            “Don’t let those jerks ruin your day Maze, now come on we should head to class we have that test today.”
Maze started to tremble as she heard that. Of course, we have a test on a day where my anxiety already going, she thought. During the test Maze could feel her anxiety increasing as the minuets went by but she was able to claim down a bit after she finished her test.
            “Are you sure you’re ok Maze, you aren’t acting like your normal self” Makayla asked.
            “I’m fine, I’m just a bit anxious, that’s all” Said Maze.
            “At least our next class is easy” Makayla said trying to reassure her.
            “Your right but we should probably start heading to class now” said Maze.
Makayla nodded and they slowly started heading to class. As they were heading to class Maze started to feel the weight on her chest as they were walking down the hall. It felt as if the whole school was walking in this one hall at the same time thought Maze. As Makayla and Maze walked into class things got worse. Maze started to feel shaky and her vision started to go in and out, like flipping the light switch on and off. Makayla noticed that Maze was not acting right
            “Maze go to the bathroom and cool down, I’ll cover for you” Said Makayla
Without a word Maze ran to the bathroom and locked herself in one of the stalls. As she stated to claim down, Tabitha and her friends walk in. As soon as Maze heard them she couldn’t catch her breath. Maze walks out of the bathroom stall and sees Tabitha. Tabitha can tell she has a lot of anxiety so Tabitha decides to make it worse.
            “look at you, you can’t stop shaking” Said Tabitha laughing.
Maze wanted to run as far away for her as possible but couldn’t move it was almost like she was frozen in fear. Tabitha pushed her to the ground and said, “No wonder why your dad left you can’t even pull yourself together.’’
Maze dropped to the ground and started to cry. The memory flooded her mind like a broken dam, and she was sent right back to that horrid night three months ago.
            It was late at night; her parents were screaming at each other while Maze sat on her bedroom floor crying and shaking. Her mother brakes the door down and picks maze up and throws her back down on the ground. her mother keeps hitting maze over and over again and screams, “This is why dad is leaving us.”
            Maze was then snapped back to reality.  Makayla was holding Maze in her arms.
            “Maze are you ok?” exclaimed Makayla
            “I am now. What are you doing here?’’ asked Maze.
            “I came to check on you, you had been gone for a lone time” said Makayla.
At this moment Maze realize how much of a true friend Makayla was. Maze wasn’t afraid to tell her anything because she trusted Makayla now. Maze sat with Makayla on the bathroom floor for the rest of the class talking about their lives. After class Maze felt as if the weight of the world was lifted of her shoulders, she felt as if she was able to breathe again. The feelings of relief and happiness flowed through Maze for the rest of the day. Maze and Makayla spent the rest of the day talking to each other about anything and everything they could think about. Makayla was the best friend Maze had always wanted and needed and Makayla had the same thoughts towards Maze. At the end of the day Maze and Makayla met up before getting on the bus.
            “Maze wait up!” screamed Makayla
            “Hurry up” Maze yelled with a slime on her face.
At this moment Maze had realized that even though this was one of the worst days she had in a long time, it was also one of the best days she’s had in a long time. Maze learned that not everyone would make fun of her for the things she was going through and that she just had to find the right person to share these things with. With Makayla being Maze’s best friend, Maze felt as if she was closer to being free from the chains of anxiety.



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 0 comments.