The Not-So-Merry Christmas | Teen Ink

The Not-So-Merry Christmas

By adaklein, Oak Park, Illinois
adaklein, Oak Park, Illinois

This piece has been a work in progress for a very long time. I started it on winter break in 2019 after a fight with my friends. Riley was sort of me in a way, though I would never play basketball due to my astouding height of 4 foot 11. I always felt that when adults wrote about middle school dilemmas, they wrote about the drama in a scripted and niche way. I as a middle school student, wanted to show that drama in a just as page-turning way, but with an honest twist to it. In March of 2020 when the world shut down, I shut down this piece as well. Riley's problems seemed so small. However, in April, I picked it up again. Finally after off and on writing and editing, I have finished it.

I did not write this book by chapter, it is just one big long story.

Riley’s new basketball sneakers squealed in the gymnasium. She dodged Layla, a shooting guard. She flicked her wrist and completed a successful layup. 

“Alright, that’s a wrap!” Coach Jasmine says, “Come huddle.” Riley held the faded orange basketball close to her chest. 

This was it. Everyone on the team, especially her best friend Kanani, told her that Coach Jasmine was moving her to Center forward, replacing an eighth grader! Riley’s team, The Tallahassee Sharks, were an eighth grade through sophomore team. Riley was one of the few 7th graders that made it.  

Coach Jasmine gave a little look to Riley. Libby, a freshman, stared at her, looking her up and down. Kanani slid her hand into Riley’s squeezing it tight.

“I have an announcement,” Coach says.  A hush falls over the gym. “As you all know, our center forward, Bridget, is moving down to Miami. A couple ‘ooh Miami’s echoed in the gym. Coach Jasmine let out a small chuckle. “These past few practices have been like a tryout. The player that I want to give center forward is a hard working, determined girl. She is never late and has a perfect attendance record. For her age she is astounding.” Riley felt her heart rate pick up. She imagined how she would say thank you. “The person I would like to give center forward to is...Libby Adams.” A huge applause came, swallowing Libby like the alligators Riley’s dad used to take her to watch by the bay. Kanani squeezed Riley’s hand and let it drop to her side. 

“Okay okay, I’m sure your parents don’t want me holding you back from winter break. Merry Christmas everyone!” says Coach. Riley slipped a small smile towards Coach and left the school. 

Her stepsister’s old grey Minivan sat in its usual spot, facing the field. She slid in the passenger side and was greeted by Naiomi. 

“How was practice?” she asked, too cheerfully. 

“Fine.” 

“You sure?” 

“Yep!” Riley strained her voice to keep up with her Naiomi’s  cheery tone. Riley’s parents have been divorced for three years now. At first she stayed with her Mom only, but after a few months she stayed with her Dad on weekends. Dad had a new girlfriend, Fire Hair Mia. Fire Hair Mia (or as her Dad made her say, boring old  “Mia”) always tried to bond with Riley, by taking her shopping, or letting Riley get blue tips in 5th grade. Mia was a hairdresser and was always pleading to do something fancy with Riley’s butt length dirty blond hair.  Of course dyed orange hair Mia has a picture perfect daughter, Naiomi. 

Naiomi shifted the gear into drive and pulled out of the lot. She blew her golden brown hair out of her green jolly rancher eyes. Riley pulled her phone out from her basketball bag. She tapped on the Instagram Icon and watched her friends' stories. As the familiar profile picture of David, her best friend from elementary school. She watched his story and winced when she saw David and his Vex Robotics team all together at Mindy’s Diner. 

She remembered all the fun times they had before Riley was bumped up to the higher team and was always busy with practice. Riley pressed the home button and went to messages. She scrolled down to July 4. Riley reread the messages that had been relayed that day. Instead of watching the fireworks with David on his roof like always, she went with the older basketball team members to go ding dong ditch Mrs. Abbot, the old lady on 7th street. Riley had gotten in huge trouble with her Mom, and David never forgave her for leaving him and making him “all worried.”

Riley hated when people said that she made them worried. Her mom never let her go anywhere without practically background checking it. Riley could take care of herself and wished people would understand that.

Naiomi parked the car in their little garage. 

“Come on, Mom made sugar cookies.” It was always hard communicating with Naiomi. She was 17 and Riley was 13. Naiomi called Mia Mom, but Riley called her Mia. They didn’t see each other very often because Naiomi often went to her Dad’s house on weekends. 

They stomped up the stairs and walked across the grey toned deck. When they walked in the door, they were greeted by the smell of burnt cookies. Mia pointed to the oven as to blame her terrible baking skills on something non-living. Riley laughed for the first time since practice. She was usually a huge goofball. 

Riley loved being at her Dad’s house for Christmas because he insisted on getting a real tree from Michigan, unlike most Floridians who just buy one from Target. Her Dad always turns up the air conditioning to make it feel like December, not May. Her parents used to try to spend Christmas together for Riley, but all it did was make Christmas miserable. Instead, Riley spent Christmas Eve and night at her Dad’s house, and the rest of winter break (including opening presents!) at her Mom’s Apartment.

“Now that the children-” starts Dad.

“Excuse me,” Naiomi jokes, “I can drive.”

“Now that the 13 year old and the 17 year old are home…”

“Let’s eat!” interrupts Mia. Everyone gathers at the small wooden dining table and eats no surprise…take out Chinese food. Riley wolfs it down and rushes to her room, ignoring the peanut butter chocolate ice cream in the freezer. She plays out the whole scene again to try to make sense of why Libby got Center Forward. 

Riley turns on her phone and calls Kanani.

“Hey Nini.”

“Hi Riley.” Everytime they called each other since they had phones they always did that exchange. “Is everything okay?’ Kanani sounded concerned. 

“I really thought I was going to get it Nini.”

“Me too.”

“But Libby isn’t even that good!”

“Hey. Libby’s my neighbor and she really deserves it. She practices with her basketball hoop everyday.” Kanani lives on the Northeast side of Tallahassee with its massive real estate and huge manicured lawns. Of course Libby lives there. Kanani always denies that the people there are snobs. Kanani says that most people are there for the same reason as her. Their family was in the army so the government gave them so-so housing in a not-yet inhabited part of Tallahassee during the Vietnam War. The real estate only got more expensive in Florida, which is how families without a whopping paycheck can afford nice housing. Kanani’s birth Mom, Alani, is part of the Army. Her non biological Mom, Mele, stays at home as a freelancer. Her family is Hawaiian and so they always get to travel there in Alani’s off year. Once, Kanani spent a whole year there so “she could learn more about where she is from.” Kanani once told Riley that when her Mom, Alani, leaves the Army, they are going back to Maui.

“I’m almost positive that Libby is there because of her family's money, not the army.” Riley says exasperatedly.

“Stop. You’re really just jealous. You’ll get over it.” Riley takes it to heart. Nini never says stuff like that.

“I’m not jealous!” Riley didn’t realize she had said it so loud.

“Hey, I’m on the basketball team and I didn’t care that you moved up and I didn’t. I still stayed after my games to watch your games. I even came to practice today because you needed luck.”

“Oh, so I needed you because I can’t deal with disappointment on my own?!”

“You called me!” Kanani was right. 

“I-” A Videochat ended by Nini:) banner fills the screen before Riley can finish. The tears start to pour from Riley’s eyes. She looked at her signed photo of Faith Dut, her favorite player on The Florida Gators. Back when her parents were together, her Mom and Dad took her to a Gators game. She had said, “Mama, I wanna be a gadah!” Her parents told her anything could happen if you work hard enough. 

The next morning Riley woke up to Mia's loud stomps. She tugged on a pair of Naiomi hand-me-down jeans and a faded grey pocket tee. Riley reached for her scrunchie tray that sat on a beachy white and blue dresser beneath her Gators poster. Just looking at it made her feel icky. Instead she picked an Adidas headband from Kanani. She regretted that too, reminding herself that they were fighting. Instead, she braided her hair and tucked the short pieces behind her ears. 

The bedroom was too dollhouse-ish. Everything was Naiomi’s old stuff. Sometimes it stung that her dad wouldn’t even get her new furniture. The walls were white. A little twin sized white wicker bed was pushed on the wall with a light blue duvet. Three picture frames were hung on the wall with the old happy family photo still in them.  An empty bookshelf Riley never got around to filling stood next to the striped blue curtains. 

“Riley! Naiomi!” shouted Dad, “We’re leaving in five! Brush your teeth, we’ll get breakfast there.” Riley had already brushed her teeth so she just went downstairs and sat at the nook waiting for Naiomi. Naiomi trudged down the stairs, sweat forming on her hairline. 

“Ugh, Florida Christmas is the worst! It’s like, 70 degrees out!” Naiomi complained. Riley laughed at the comment. Considering Naiomi was obsessed with the wintery Christmas tree yet loved hanging on the beach, who knows where she would end up as an adult. Mia shrugged and tugged Naiomi and Riley to the car. They settled in the car and turned on the Christmas radio. Riley jammed her earbuds in her ears to ignore the music that usually made her feel festive and merry. 

“Three days till Christmas!” Mia said, a little forced. Naiomi smiled and then kept on scrolling on Snapchat. 

Riley leaned her head against the window. Normally she loved the Christmas countdown. They headed to the German Christmas Market on December 22. Disney World was next on the 23rd. Christmas Eve they went ice skating at the hockey rink that the hockey players decked out with bells and Christmas lights. Riley, Naiomi, Mia, and Dad finished everything off December 24th with a delicious ham dinner. Riley’s stomach bubbled thinking of it. Suddenly, their plans seemed silly and juvenile.

After the 3 and a half hour drive and two bathroom stops they arrived at Gotha, Florida. Gotha was historically filled with Germans, but now it’s more of a tourist destination. The twinkly white lights signaled that the market was near. 

“Mmm,” Mia said, “I just love Christmastime.”

“This isn’t even Christmas.” Naiomi mumbled. Mia gave her a look. “Christmas used to actually have snow and real Christmas food like hot chocolate.” Mia pulled her aside and Riley heard a little something like, “I know you miss Christmas in Minnesota, but face the fact that we are here now. You’re father won’t make stupid decisions and make us move again. Moving here was the best idea he ever had.”      

Riley only knew a little about Naiomi’s dad. All she knew was that he kept ‘chasing impossible dreams’ (Mia’s words, not Riley’s). 

As they walked under the banner saying “76th annual Christkindl Market” little children weaved in and out of the stalls causing their perfect parents to scold them and then give them a perfect hug. A perfect hug for a perfect family.

Dad gave Riley a 20 dollar bill and headed with Mia to the Schnitzel Stand. Riley shuffled to the hot dog stand.  Bockwurst it read. She paid the blond lady and held her salty grilled hot dog. She headed over to the table Naiomi saved. Riley started eating the hot dog while Naiomi scrolled through what seemed like endless Instagram stories. 

“You know you can get food now?” Riley said more like a question.

“Yeah, I know…” Naiomi replied.

“Are you going to eat?” 

“I had a big breakfast.”

“No you didn’t.”

“I did.”

“We left right when you got down from downstairs.”

“Ever heard of shutting up?”

“I know you, Naiomi. You brush your teeth before breakfast.”

“So now you know everything about me?”

“I didn’t say I di--”

“You didn’t even know my name until, like, a year ago.”

“That’s ‘cause you locked your door like I had cooties!”

“I’M JUST NOT HUNGRY OKAY?” Naiomi snapped. She never snaps. Usually she just leaves the conversation. Why did she even care if all it was was just ‘I’m not hungry?’ 

Mia and Dad came back to their table. Riley could tell that Mia acknowledged the fact that Naiomi wasn’t eating, but didn’t say anything about it. 

“So,” Dad said, “how is your super plain and ketchup-y  bratwurst?” Dad was from Chicago and grimaced whenever Riley ordered a hotdog with ketchup. 

“Fine.” Riley didn’t feel like having a merry conversation. 

They ate in silence until Mia said, “You know, Riley, your hair would look gorgeous in a french twist for Christmas Eve…”

“Sure, I guess,” responded Riley. “Naiomi’s hair would also look good in it, but then again Naiomi looks good in everything.” Naiomi gave Riley a don’t try to suck up to me look. Riley gave her a forgive me look. Dad gave Mia a what’s happening look. Mia gave Dad a who knows what goes on with this generation look. Riley ignored the chorus of looks and excused herself from the picnic table. 

The clouds had blocked the sky making the weather get the slightest bit chillier. Riley popped on her blue fleece and walked in the general direction of the artisan booths. Riley called Kanani. It rang 4 times before the green text saying call canceled went on the screen. Riley may have only had her iphone 6s for one year, but that was enough time to know that 4 rings means someone hung up on you. She called again. This time it rang until it canceled itself. Riley called again and again until Kanani picked up. 

“What?” Kanani sounded annoyed.

“I just called to say I’m sorry.”

“For what?”

“You know, everything.”

“Why are you apologizing to me? You should be apologizing to Libby.”

“So you’re not mad at me?” Riley said, ignoring Nini’s suggestion.

“I didn’t say that. Stop assuming things about people.”

“I wasn’t ‘assuming’ anything about anyone!” Riley could tell her voice was coming off obnoxious and whiney.

“Ugh! You are impossible Riley McAllister-Smith! If you really want to be better, actually make a change! Don’t just keep messing up everything again and again.” She hung up. Great. Now both Naiomi AND Kanani were totally mad at Riley. Not to forget David, who hasn’t spoken to Riley in months. A tickle of worry crept up Riley’s back. Would that happen to Kanani and her as well? 

Mia, Dad, Naiomi, and Riley packed their annual mug in the trunk along with the abundance of pine candles Mia had bought for her salon. Riley thought about what Kanani had said. Make a change. Maybe it was time to change, grow up. Kanani and Riley had always laughed at how the popular girls like Layla and Indigo cared about boyfriends and clothes and makeup. Now it seemed like Kanani was an advocate for it. If Riley didn’t change would Nini become one of them? It’s official thought Riley. She needed to change, but how? She looked around the black prius and her eyes landed on Fire Hair Mia. Oops sorry, Mia. Wait, thought Riley, hair! I need to change my hair! Riley thought about what length. She couldn’t ask Mia yet because then it would be final. A big change would be a bob, but that’s too short. Mia had mentioned a ‘lob’ before. That could be perfect!

“Mia?” asked Riley.

“Riley?” replied Mia.

“I was wondering if you could cut my hair to a lob. I know it would be--”

“OMG!” shrieked Mia, startling Dad causing him to swerve and almost hit a pizza truck. “I would love to! Is today okay, or do you need time to say goodbye to your beautiful hair.”

“Today is good, I guess.”

“Amazing. Allen?”

“Yes honey?”

“Can you drop Riley and I off at my salon please?

“Absolutely.” A lump formed in Riley’s throat. No turning back.

They arrived at the salon and the smell of flowers smacked Riley in the face. Pictures of models with all sorts of colored hair are tacked on the wall. Since it’s winter break, all of Mia’s employees were gone, leaving just Riley and Mia in the store. 

“So,” Mia said, “do you want this one or this one?” She held two photos in front of Riley’s face. Riley couldn’t  tell the difference between the two. She shrugged and Mia said that they would do the left one. 

Riley sat in the glossy black chair as Mia rinsed and washed her hair in the sink thing. After washing Riley’s hair, Mia put the cape-like thing under Riley’s chin and buttoned it up. Riley watched as her hair fell without a sound to the tile below. 

The sun was beginning to set when they walked out of the salon. Riley felt her new confidence give her an energy boost. 

After a delicious dinner of take-out Culver's (it was Dad’s month to pick the fast food), Naiomi called her aside in the middle of The Christmas Prince...IN HER ROOM! 

Riley rarely ever got to go in Naiomi’s picture perfect room. Photos of Naiomi’s friends were all over a polaroid wall that hid the atrocious brown stain that nobody can quite place how it happened *wink wink POOP*. 

“Soooooo, Riley, if you can stop stalking my friends through those photos...I have something to say to you,” said Naiomi.

“I’m all ears.”

“...about lunch today.”

“I’m all ears,” Riley repeated.

“Can we, ya know, not bring it up to Mom?”

“Why?”

“It’s just that I don’t want her worrying about something so petty.” Riley felt a lump in her stomach. Why did Naiomi want to hide this from Mia? Riley then remembered that it’s best to be on her good side around Christmastime.

“Sure!”

“Great! You are, like, the BEST step-sister in the whole world!” Naiomi’s tone was so fake, Riley had to stifle a laugh. Riley shoved her negative thoughts away, Naiomi said that it wasn’t a big deal...right? 

The next morning, Riley went immediately to the bathroom. It smelled like barf. Riley spritzed some febreeze and turned on the shower. Only Naiomi was awake besides her. The hot water poured over Riley’s tanned skin. She shampooed her hair and put a massive glob of conditioner on her locks, forgetting that she only needed a quarter of that amount. She then regretted it because she had washed her hair an hour earlier, but nevertheless, it felt nice. As she stepped out of the shower, Riley wrapped the baby blue towel around herself and wiped the steam off the mirror. In the reflection, Riley could tell she didn’t look her best. Change, she thought. Her eyes immediately fell on Naiomi’s hair dryer and makeup. 

Silently, Riley plugged in the hair-dryer and began to dry her hair. After her hair was silky smooth Riley crept to Naiomi’s makeup. Riley applied some mascara and it ended up a little clumpy, but Riley didn’t have time to redo it. They left for Disney World in 2 hours, and it takes a long time to get the McAllister family going. Riley put on some blush and put on a tan colored goop all over her face. She looked like a pink ghost! Quickly, she wiped it off and instead added some brown powder on her cheekbones like Naiomi did. Riley strutted out of the bathroom and walked downstairs. 

“AGHHH!” A scream started Riley. She sighed with relief when she realized that Mia was just surprised by her sudden beauty. 

“You look like you were taking a shower with dirt! What did you do to your face?” asked Mia. 

“Nothing,” lied Riley. At that exact moment, Naiomi came down the stairs and Riley turned to look at her. Smoke could have been practically poMeleng out of her ears. 

“What’s wrong?” Riley asked as innocently as possible.

“YOU! YOU USED MY MAKEUP WITHOUT ASKING!!!!! I CAN’T BELIEVE YOU! I SAY SOMETHING NICE TO YOU AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME?! I hate you.” Her words hit Riley like a 5 ton basketball. 

“You, you what?” squeaked Riley. Mia scolded Naiomi and Riley and told them that if they don’t shape up, no Disney World. Dad, told them no Disney World, period. 

“Why have you stopped hanging out with Kanani?” asked Mia.

“She’s been busy.” 

“Well, go today, doctors orders,” said Dad. Riley wanted to say ‘you’re not a doctor,’ but she knew better. And besides, Dad had already texted Mele, who had already said yes. 

The ride to Kanani’s was torture. Riley turned up the radio to avoid Dad’s questions. They looked like psychos, blasting The Pina Colada Song while driving on Ricco Boulevard, which, for your information means ‘rich’ in Italian. Finally, they arrived at Kanani’s Italian Renaissance style home. Kanani’s bunny, Yip was hopping in circles to avoid Kanani’s brother, Robby’s, dog Billy Bob Joe, BaBy J. for short. Yes, his dog’s name is indeed Billy Bob Joe.

Riley walked on the cement walkway to the front door. BaBy J. ran to Riley and jumped on her, his muddy paws getting all over Riley’s mickey mouse jeans. Riley rang the doorbell and to her surprise, Alani opened the door. 

“Good morning, Riley!”

“Good morning Alani.” She could tell Alani was looking at her based on the fact that Alani was wearing her neon orange Lisa Frank reading glasses. David and Riley once got kicked out of a lisa Frank store because they called it Lena Frank.

“Nini is upstairs, sorry if Bobby bothers you. He just got his tetanus shot and his arm is bothering him.” Riley was used to the gossip that Alani and Mele would tell her, but this time it felt like she didn’t deserve it.

Upstairs, in Kanani’s room, Kanani had laid down 10 DVDs. 

“Hi, Nini.”

“What did you do to your hair?

“I changed,” replied Riley.

“How are you so, just, UGH. That’s not change, that’s letting your step-mom play with your hair. Which one do you want to watch?” The array was all over the place, with Frozen, to CLUE, to Finding Nemo, to The Christmas switch, to the complete collection of Friends, and more. Riley pointed at their favorite, CLUE.

“Great, let me put this in my DVD player.” Oh yeah, Kanani has a T.V., in her room!

An hour later

Riley was sitting on the edge of her beanbag, captivated by the butler’s explanation for Ms. Peacock being to blame when she noticed a faint white light from under Kanani’s blanket. Kanani was texting someone! Wait, that’s a group chat...called the THE ELITES! Oh no, nobody other than the most popular girls at their school called themselves the elites. We are talking about Izzy, Charli, Summer, and Laurel to name a few. These are the same people that they would complain about because they were mean and rich and annoying. There was no doubt that they all lived on Ricco Blvd. Riley jolted upwards and stormed out of the room, leaving Kanani to her new friends. She ran out of their massive Italian renaissance home and would have called home in a 7 Eleven, but the closest “stores” nearby were fancy boutiques.

Then she cried. She cried and cried and cried until Mom pulled up in a different car then she normally used. Maybe she got a new car? A new car with no back seat.

“Honeydew,” said Mom, “what’s wrong?” Riley made up a lame excuse along the lines of I don’t feel too good. The movie scared me. 

“Oh, Riley. Have I ever told you the story that your name came from?” Riley shook her head while facing the now raining sky. Oh the cliche. 

“Well, when I found out I was pregnant with you, your dad and I knew that we couldn't tell my parents without all the details figured out, or they would practically be in charge of my pregnancy. We also couldn’t tell your father’s parents yet because they didn’t quite approve of our marriage, saying “a cancer can NOT date a Libra! That’s just asking for a disaster!” They were the ‘dependent on everything because of a zodiac’ kind of person.” Mom chuckled. Riley held her laugh in. She could remember Grammy and Grandpa making her wear the lion necklace at the zoo because otherwise the stars would give her bad luck. 

“Anyway, we needed to find a name quickly. I was close to four months pregnant. My tummy was not small. And trust me,” Mom said, “you would rather have Grammy be mad at you because you don't respect the stars more than having my mother tell you that you’re fat ANY day.” This time Riley did laugh. The tears were coming slower now.

“Rapidly, your dad and I searched any baby naming book we could find. Finally, we made it to the “R”s. We had your middle name already picked, Zelda. When we looked at the names we were so close to picking Rachel, but then we saw Riley. To be quite frank, I heavily disliked the name at first. I did not like the letter placement and the 5 letter aspect.”

“Wow,” Riley said, “thanks for the sudden decrease in confidence in my name.”

“Continuing,” Mom said in a warning tone. She hated when people interrupted. “Just then, I saw the meaning. Courageous. I knew that courage would get me farther than Rachel’s meaning, innocence. After all, I had to be courageous to tell your grandparents. So, Riley Zelda, always remember that you have courage. Courage can get you anywhere. Seriously though, listen to your Grammy and Grandpa when they advise you about zodiacs. They were right about you and David. Oops, sorry for mentioning him. I know you guys aren’t friends.” Mom let out a soft laugh and Riley faked a smile. 4 buzzes on Riley’s phone appeared out of nowhere. 

Riley! 

Riley where are you?

Alani and Mele are worried sick!!!

RILEY! I NEED YOU TO ANSWER YOUR PHONE!

Sorry, Dad. I called Mom when you didn’t answer. I’m heading to her apartment for Christmas.

Is it something I did? You know I love hanging with you on Christmas! Will I get to see you on Christmas or after? 

No, I know, and hopefully. I’m sorry, Dad. This is probs 4 the best.

They arrived at Riley’s Mom’s apartment and Riley noticed some odd things. 1) Mom never leaves her clothes out, 2) there is another chair at the dining room, and 3) who is making roast chicken in the kitchen?! Mom seemed to know who it was. In fact, she leaned across the island and held the blond haired man’s hand. 

“Riley?”

“Yeah,” Riley squeaked. 

“This is Sam. I’ve been dating him for the past three months. I’ve decided he should meet you.”

“You’ve been what?” Riley’s mind exploded with questions. However, instead of asking them she stormed off into her bedroom. 10 minutes go by and there is a soft knock at the door.

“Come in.” To Riley’s surprise, it was Sam.

“Hi, Riley. Your Mom wanted to ask me if you want dinner. She also told me that you love basketball. I may or may not have played with Florida State in my golden days,” said Sam. Riley couldn’t keep her gloom for long when she heard this news. “Maybe we could go shoot some hoops after dinner?” Riley gave him a solemn nod and practically inhaled her brussels sprouts and roast chicken. She laced up her Steph Curry’s that she only wore for special basketball occasions. 

They played for who knows how long. During a water break, Sam asked Riley if she was center forward on her team. Riley played it cool, “Nah, but I don’t really care. It’s just middle school b-ball anyway.” 

“If you say so,” said Sam, “you’ve got to believe in yourself and get good or you won’t achieve your dreams. Riley smiled a genuine smile for the first time in a while.

Out of nowhere  Riley asked, “Are you a libra?”

“Nope! I’m a capricorn.”

The next morning, Riley was woken up bright and early. She half-awake half-asleep trudged to the kitchen. 

“Sorry for wakin’ ya. I’ve got to go to work today. It’s a last minute client, but with a 25% extra paycheck,” admitted Sam. Riley went back to bed and didn’t wake up until 2:15pm. Fighting must make you pretty sleepy. Riley spent Christmas Eve binge watching old Christmas classics with her Mom. Just as the sun had set, Mom got a text. 

ALLEN SMITH

I need your help, now.

“Weird, it’s from your Dad. I’m going to call him okay?” 5 minutes later, Mom’s giving Riley the what just happened in the phone call look. It’s not pretty or proud, it’s concern and fear.

“Is everything okay, Mom?” asked Riley.

“No, Naiomi’s in the hospital.”

“What’s that got to do with you?”

“Let me finish, Riley. She fainted. She hadn’t been eating enough. Mia took her to the hospital, but your Dad can’t get to her.” Riley gulped. She hadn’t realized that Naiomi was so bad. 

“When we divorced, we were so overwhelmed we never got around to separating our safes at the bank. Dad has been absentmindedly putting his new information in the McAllister-Smith box instead of the Smith-Barnes box. Of course, he’s forgotten the passcode due to panic.” Mom fumbled for her purse and threw my slides at me. I slip them on not really knowing why. “I would take you with me, but my car is in the shop. I’ve been using Sam’s. Thank goodness he uses public transit instead of his car. As you know Sam’s car doesn’t have backseats. I need to get to the bank, get the documents, and then pick up your father from the bus stop he’s been worridly waiting at for the bus to the hospital for the past half hour.” Riley let it sink in. Why did she keep her mouth shut about Naiomi? Why was dad so clumsy? WHY DOES SAM HAVE A TINY CAR? Where was she going to go? This question she asked. 

“I’m dropping you off at Kanani’s.” This was bad. Then Riley realized she shouldn’t have lied because now her Mom still thinks she’s friends with Kanani. 

Nevertheless, they piled into the teeny car and revved the engine going at a speed that probably wasn’t legal. 

“Can you text Mele that there is a family emergency and that you need to crash at their house for the night?”

“Sure!” Riley grabbed her Mom’s phone and instead of texting Mele she mimed texting. 

“Here we are,” said Mom, when they arrived at the house, “I’ve always loved the architecture here.” Riley walked up the steps and waited until her Mom raced away. Riley then found herself sitting silently on an ex best friend’s stoop having nowhere to go as her step-sister is in the hospital and her Mom driving like a madman to the bank. She knew she couldn’t wait forever, it would blow her cover. Just then, an odd thought popped into Riley’s head. She had known David for forever and his Mom always told Riley that she has a second home there. Riley followed her gut feeling and found herself at the home she had known forever, the home with so many memories inside of it. The home she was given when nobody understood what she was going through with her family, the home she abandoned. 

Riley rang the doorbell and waited. She hoped Mr. and Ms. Greenberg wouldn’t be angry that she was disrupting their Hanukkah. Luckily, Ms. Greenberg answered the door without Riley having to awkwardly ring a second time. 

“Well if it isn’t Riley. It sure has been a long time. Why are you here on Christmas Eve. Shouldn’t you be with your Dad and Mia?”

“It’s complicated. Is it alright if I stay here? There is sorta an emergency with my step-sister and it involves, like, the whole family.”

“Sure, anytime,” replied Ms. Greenberg. Riley walked in the brownstone and saw David peeking at the door. Their menorah illuminated David’s face of pure shock when he saw Riley. Even Mr. Greenberg had a look of surprise on his face.

“Hi,” said Riley. David stood up. He was taller than he was over the summer. His short trimmed hair had grown long and curly and sat like a halo on his head. 

“Well if it isn’t Riley.” The phrase that always sounded so joyful sounded sour when it was said.

“If it isn’t David,” replied Riley.

“Don’t you have Christmas stuff to do with Naiomi, Mia, and Mr. Smith?” Riley’s heart filled with joy. It may sound as if David was trying to push Riley away, but David had a bad memory. The fact that he bothered to remember her stepmom and step-sister’s name was amazing. 

“Things came up.” Riley’s phone buzzed.

Mom :)

Just got the news. Naiomi’s been diagnosed with bulimia. She’s doing okay for now. You know that storm that was going on? Well, it’s now a storm warning so the trains shut down for hurricane related reasons. Can this day be any worse? Now I need to go pick Sam up from his 3 hour away job so I won’t be back until 2am. Can you tell Mele that you need to stay the night? Surely Kanani will let you borrow some clothes. Love you!

Thanks, Mom. Luv u 2 <3

Well this day really couldn’t get any worse. She just got back to talking to David, and now she needed to stay the night. 

“Um, Ms. Greenberg?”

“Yes, Riley.”

“I need to stay the night. My Mom has to do something.”

“I, uh,” she looked over to David. David gave her a small smile and a nod and Riley’s heart practically exploded. Maybe David would forgive her. Maybe best friends are forever. That thought ended not long after. While Ms. Greenberg was grabbing a sleeping bag and a pillow for Riley and Mr. Greenberg was working on his latest novel in his office, David tapped her on the shoulder.

“Yeah David?”

“Can I talk to you?”

“Isn’t that what we are doing now?”

“Riley, I’m serious.”

“Sorry, go on.”

“What happened?”

“I’m sorry, I’m not following,” said Riley.

“Yes, you understand, I know you do. Look, I’ve always been there for you. But that night where you left me? I was scared, Riley. Sometimes you make decisions without really thinking.”

“What is that supposed to mean? So now you think somethings wrong with me?”

“I didn’t say that.” Riley acted like she didn’t understand, but deep down she knew he was right. Cutting her hair? Using her sister’s stuff? Running 3 miles to get to David’s house? He was right. So right.

“I guess...I have done that a lot. Heck, I’m not even supposed to be here. I’m supposed to be at Kanani’s.” Riley watched as David’s face fell as she mentioned Kanani.

“What’s wrong?” she asked David. 

“You also betrayed me when you stopped hanging out with me and started to hang out with her.”

“I only started to hang out with them when you left me to hang out with your new robotics friends.”

“See that’s another thing. Riley, I had been a part of the robotics club since day 1 of sixth grade. You never asked me what I like to do because you’ve been too wrapped up in your own troubles. I had tried to talk to you, but whenever we made eye contact you ran away from me. You avoided me. One time, you ran away but Kanani stayed. She told me that I was a nerd and nerds don’t deserve to hang out with “the elites.” I thought we were against the elites and their mean ways. You never told me you were one of them.”

“I, I, I wasn’t! Kanani and I never liked the elites. I guess I really only did think about myself and what I wanted and what I deserved. I never realized that the table I sat with was also with the elites. I never realized that Kanani was so mean until yesterday. Anyway, I’d rather lose a mean friend than a nice one. Thanks for always being there.” Riley leaned over and gave David a huge hug. David resisted, but eventually gave in.

“It’s good to have my best friend back.” 

“Delivery! One sleeping bag and pillow for Riley McAllister-Smith. Oh shoot. I suppose you don’t have a toothbrush or pajamas either. I’ll look through Gail’s old stuff.” Gail is David’s sister who passed away before we met. David always told me stories about her.

“Thanks, Mr. Greenberg.”

Finally, after looking through tons of storage bins, dentist bags, and cleaning a basement Riley was ready for bed. She flicked off the lights and said goodnight to David and Mr. and Ms. Greenberg. It was nice being with David. It was not nice waking up to 20 missed calls and 50 bajillion texts from Mom. Riley scrolled to recents.

It’s Christmas! Merry Christmas honeydew. 

Can you get your butt out of bed and come celebrate with me?

Ha! Just remembered you’re pretty far away (meaning 3 miles).

I’m not far away, Mom. I’m a couple blocks away!

What do you mean by a couple blocks away. You’re at Kanani’s.

Right?

Totally! I’m just delirious from waking up I guess

I’m not buying it...one sec

2 minutes later

RILEY ZELDA! RESPOND IMMEDIATELY AND EXPAND YOURSELF!
*sorry typo: explain

I just texted Mele and Alani. They said they haven’t seen you all night! Where are you!???!?!?!?!

David’s.

Come home, NOW!

Riley felt a flutter of nervous butterflies. When her mom was mad, she got mad. Riley packed her stuff up, said thank you to Ms. Greenberg and Mr. Greenberg, and ran out the door. She ran the entire way, but was slightly out of shape due to not practicing basketball like she usually did. Riley rang the doorbell and Mom opened the door with steam practically pouring out of her ears. 

“Riley Zelda, explain yourself now!”

“I’m really sorry, Mom, I-” Riley started.

“I don’t want to hear your apology yet, I want to know what you were thinking.”

“It started back at Tallahassee Shark practice, when Libby Adams got center forward.”

“How does that have anything to do with this?”

“Kanani and I got in a big fight and…” Riley explained the entire thing. To her surprise, instead of yelling at her, her Mom pulled her into a huge hug.

“Oh honeydew. You were jealous? That’s so unlike you. You should have texted me or called me about it. Never hold your feelings in like that. Also, I thought you weren’t friends with David either,” said Mom.

“David’s apartment was like a second home for me when you were going through the divorce with Dad,” Riley felt her voice start to tremble into a hiccupy waterfall, “Ms. Greenberg was there for me when you weren’t. Being an only child and all, I had nobody to talk to. She was like a Mom to me.” With that, Mom’s eyes widened and started bawling. Like, real bawling.

“I- I- I never wa- wanted you to feel forgotten. Riley, baby, you need to tell me these things.”

“It’s okay, Mom. You were going through a lot, and besides it’s all good now,” Riley said, hoping her Mom had forgotten she was mad,

“It’s not all good,” said Mom, “you’re grounded for the rest of winter break. That means no phone or friends.” Riley was annoyed at this, but it could be worse so she sucked it up.

“How about we open some presents?!” Sam asked to our surprise. Riley had sorta forgotten he was there.

After opening all of the presents (Riley had gotten mostly basketball stuff and clothes), Riley went to her room and stared at the ceiling. Her eyes fell on her stationary she had won from selling girl scout cookies a couple years ago. She wrote Kanani’s address and began to write.

Dear Kanani,

I’m really sorry about everything, but I want you to know that I won’t forget what happened. When you were texting the Elites while watching CLUE (at the BEST part so really your loss :P) I was hurt. I had never realized that maybe I was popular and I wasn’t  the kindest so I decided to change (thanks to you). Of course, I didn’t start off on the right track...hence the hair, but I think I’ve changed. I’ve accepted that Libby deserves Center Forward. Considering I’m only a 7th grader I have a lot of years to improve. I hope that you can forgive me like I forgave you. Maybe instead of spending all of our time together, we can slowly get back into being friends.

Peace out,

Riley 

Next, she found Libby’s address in the directory and wrote a short note.

Dear Libby,

Congrats on center forward. You really deserve it. Maybe sometime we can play one on one on the courts? I have a hoop in my backyard, but so do you so either works. Anyway, I’m glad you’re on the team. NATIONALS...HERE WE COME!!!

From,

Riley

Finally, Riley picked up some stationary and wrote to Naiomi.

Dear Naiomi,

It’s me, your stepsister. I’m beyond sorry about our fights and I wish I could take them all away. I’m sorry about the hospital thing too. I hope you get better.

I’ll love u 4eva,

Riley

Finally, on the last Friday before school, she got all three responses.

Hey Riley. It’s Kanani. I’m sorry I guess about what I did, but maybe we aren’t destined to be friends. Like, I always felt like a replacement for David so that’s why I became friends with the Elites. I knew that when you guys were on good terms I was left behind so I think we should just stay separate. Also, now I’m a full time member of the Elites (Secretary of Drama is the official name) so I’m not supposed to hang out with anyone else unless I fill out a request form and get the president’s approval (Charli). And TBH she does NOT like u so I probs won’t get approval. Like, I’m risking my position by even writing this letter so keep your mouth zipped. 

See ya around,

K. Kahele

Sec. of Drama-The Elites

Riley gulped. She hadn’t realized that Kanani had really changed. A hint of guilt was there too, because Kanani had sort of been a replacement. Next there was a short letter from Libby.

To Riley: This is Libby. Thanks 4 the note. Also, am I doing the letter thing right? I’m more of a texting girl, but u wouldn't answer texts. Anyway, thanks.

Riley laughed at the tiny note. Finally, there was Naiomi’s note.

Dear Riley,

I’m sorry, too. I should’ve listened to my gut and gone to Mom (Mia) sooner. I also want to thank you. You raising attention made me realize that I was getting seriously ill. But also, you can call it Bulimia. It’s not a bad word or anything. And I’m already getting better, with the help of my nurses, I will be able to be released in a couple weeks! Finally, I have one request: Don’t pity me and keep going on with life like nothing happened. Continue being a great stepsister as you do it.

Love,

Naiomi :)

Riley felt a pang of guilt. Her problems seemed so petty compared to Naiomi’s. However, the sullen look on Riley’s face was wiped clean when she realized Naiomi was getting better! Riley smiled. Rephrase: beamed. With a knock at the door her Mom told her that they were going on a walk to the park. It was a great way to end winter break and being grounded. 

After a crazy winter break, it was Monday. Back to school. She ate Sam’s Manic Monday Monkey Bread and rushed out the door due to sleeping in. She texted David to confirm that they were walking together. He replied with: Yeah, but my Robotics friends are gonna come too. She rushed to his house and caught up to him and his friends just in time to leave. 

Towards the beginning of the stroll, it seemed like David’s friends were judging her to see if she had really changed for the better. Riley finally broke the ice and asked what they were building in Robotics. All 5 of them started talking at once, but a girl named Rose,  raised her hand and silenced them all. 

“How about we introduce ourselves and then we introduce Kendrick the ultra cleaning robot?” she said. 

“I’m Jack!” started a short red haired boy.

“I’m Ella.”

“Eli,” saluted Eli.

“Max.” 

“David. Do I know you?”

“I am Rose, nice to meet ya!” They then explained Kendrick and all of his abilities. Riley liked how they didn’t care that the Elites stared at them when they shouted things like EUREKA when they found something out, or when Rose took Ella and Riley to the bathroom for an emergency talk about a basketball robot. 

Then, out of nowhere in April, Kanani went up to Riley and asked to join her friend group. Before Riley could think of the repercussions, she said no. Riley had been hurt so many times by the Elites and didn’t want to be a part of it. And besides, her life was the best as it had been for a while. Naiomi was getting treated, Sam and Mom were engaged and getting married in August, her hair was growing too close to what it was before, and she had amazing friends. She smiled as she turned away from Kanani and ran to join her friends. Sometimes, being honest and fair really does help you out. Thanks girl scouts!

The End