Summer Blues | Teen Ink

Summer Blues

By Rayj321, Cocoa Beach, Florida
Rayj321, Cocoa Beach, Florida

It’s 10:00 on a Sunday. Even though I had woken up two hours ago, I didn't feel like getting up. It was a Sunday after all. Nobody ever does anything on a Sunday. I was scrolling through Instagram when I got a Facetime call. I quickly got up and finger-combed through my hair to look neat instead of all knotted up. I answer the phone forgetting who called and let out a confused

“Hello?”

Through the phone Maria answered quickly after, her voice booming through my phone. I jumped not realizing my volume was as loud as it could be. She continued to say, 

“Hey Elizabeth! I was wondering if you wanted to go to the beach or maybe the park, or, hey! What about the cinemas?”

Though I was processing her words I was also zoning in and out so I replied with a quick, “Yeah, sure that sounds fun.” Questioned Maria showed her face and had a confused look on her face. She then asked, 

“So . . . Which one will it be? I don’t care to be honest, and we could do them all if you want! I’m just bored and don’t want to spend my last Sunday of the summer in my room watching Youtube, looking through Instagram pic- Oh! That reminds me! We could take nice Instagram pictures and post them today if you’re up for it as well! Sound like fun?”

She seemed so upbeat and ready, unlike me, I just got up and wasn’t planning to do anything. I decided it would be better to get outdoors before having to go back to school so I simply replied saying

“Yeah, yeah that all sounds like fun. I'll be at your house in 15?” 

“Yep! Sounds great. See you then! Bye!”

After getting off the phone with Maria I quickly got up and ran to the bathroom. I put on some 80s music and started getting ready. I washed my face, changed in a bathing suit with a cover-up over, and quickly ran downstairs to get something to snack on. Afterward, I brushed my hair, and teeth and then got a bag with a change of clothes, my phone charger, sunglasses, and my wallet in case we wanted to buy anything. I called Maria back and she answered on the second ring, just like she always does.

“Hey! I am on the way!” I say while closing the front door of my house

Even though I live with my mom and whatnot she’s always busy working or taking care of my brother so I sent her a text when I left before I’d forget.

“Ok great!” She continues,

“So I was thinking. . . We could go to the park first and maybe have a picnic and relax and then head to the beach to take some pictures and tan! Then we can come back to my house, get cleaned up, and then head to the movies.”

“Yeah sounds great! We should look at movie times when I get there in case we go and decide not to watch anything.”

I continue, “Also, is your Caleb coming, or is he busy?”

Maria looks at her phone to look at me and then rolls her eyes and lets out a grin.

“Just because he’s my brother and you’re obsessed with him, does not, I repeat, does not mean that I can get him to come! But I suppose I could try.”

I look at her, shocked,

“Wait, what, uh, I was joking though!”

She gets up and grabs her phone, then leaves her room and walks down the hall into Caleb’s,

“Hey, brother of mine. . .” 

I cringe at the words and can’t bear to show my face any longer, so I face the camera up and just continue to listen while I turn the corner of the street and continue to walk.

“I was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me and Elizabeth today.”

Caleb looks up, he has dark brown hair, just like Maria he’s tall as well about 5”11’. He likes to read, draw, and listen to music. I don’t know him well since we never get the chance to talk, but I’ve always had a thing for him. Seeing as he’s a year older than me and Maria he’s going to college next year, so there’s no point in liking him.

“I don’t know” he replies,

“What do you guys have planned anyway?”

Maria quickly says, “Picnic at the park, beach with Instagram pictures, and then the cinema!”

Caleb looked interested. I don’t know which one caught his eye, but his response answers my question.

“The beach doesn’t sound too bad, sure I’ll come.” He responds.