Students Choice | Teen Ink

Students Choice

By milesliljegren, Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey
milesliljegren, Ho-Ho-Kus, New Jersey

This relates to me but is a little bit embellished. I think that I tried to base it off of myself to make it more interesting to myslef. 

I sprinted home. Grinning from ear to ear. Stopping for nothing. Well, nothing except cars. I burst through the door and started to shout. “MOM! MOM! MOM! MOM!”

“She’s not home,” Groaned my older sister, “why don't you quiet down.”

“THE GREATEST THING HAPPENED TODAY!” I replied ignoring her. “YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT”

“Cool. Why don't you go upstairs?” She said this without hesitation. 

“Fine.” I stomped up the stairs. Happy and sad.  

But, how did I get into this situation? Long story. My name is Mike, I'm 13 and attend West Beverly Middle School. I'm in eighth grade and don't do anything without my two best friends, Trevor and Teddy. We may not be the smartest bunch but we sure can do things you may not expect. For example, in seventh grade we tricked a teacher into thinking we were each other. I was Trevor, Trevor was Teddy, and Teddy was me. Boy, was that funny. Well, until the parent teacher conferences came around. Then we really heard it from our parents, and the principal, and teacher. But still, it was pretty funny. But this is besides the point. 

It all started when me and my friends decided we wanted to be the student council presidents. Yes, presidents. Plural. The three of us together would run the school. What could go wrong? Well it turned out there was a lot that could go wrong. The problems started one Friday night. I was laying in bed watching my favorite movie series. Shrek. It was about 1:30 in the morning. Well,technically it was Saturday. I had finished both Shrek and Shrek 2 when my phone went, “DING”. “Hmm, who could that be?” I whispered with confusion. I turned my phone over and was nearly blinded by the brightness. It was Trevor. The text read “come over now”. He then texted again. “DING”. This one said “posters for student council r due monday we have to get started asap”. What was this guy thinking? Well, I probably should have considered that  before slowly climbing out my window. As I crept through the lawn, I thought I heard a noise. That slow tip-toe became a speed walk. But then I nearly jumped right out of my shoes when I heard a police siren down the street. I began to sprint. Through my yard. Into the woods. Took a left, banged a right then spirited about another 100 yards. There I was on Trevor's lawn. When I saw something move. My heart was racing. I could feel it pulsing from my chest to my neck. I slowly advanced through the yard to the front step. When I saw movement again. I felt my pockets. Where was my phone? No. I left it at home. Then I heard something. Then I saw another.  This process kept repeating until something crept out of the darkness. I jumped. I nearly shouted. When I realized it was just Teddy. 

“What are you doing,” I whispered with some sense of anger, “you scared the living daylight out of me”

“What are you doing,” He responded “I thought you were a ghost”

“A GHOST?” I nearly yelled, “Why don't you just tell Trevor we’re here?”

“Why don't you?” Teddy replied with some attitude

“WEll I DON'T HAVE MY PHONE.” I really did yell this time “OK?”

“Fine I’ll do it”

Teddy pulled out his phone and began typing away until Trevor opened the door.

“Hey guys” 

“Hey Trevor” We said in sync.

“Come on in,” Trevor said in a warm hearted way.

We walked inside and instantly fell silent until Trevor started talking our ears off. 

“Aren't your parents asleep?” I questioned “ Should we quiet down?” He shook his head no. Then said

“They are totally fine with you guys being here, they went out to grab supplies for the poster about a half an hour ago.”

“Oh.” I replied in disbelief.

He brought us snacks and we ate silently for a long time. We went through crackers, potato chips, fruit, cookies, pretzels. Almost all the snacks you can imagine. But that's usually how it goes at Trevor’s house. His parents are rather successful. They have a gigantic house. I think it's the size of a castle. But they always have so much to eat or drink. Even though they only have one child and a dog. But this is their new house and all I have seen of it is the kitchen and the basement. Trevor takes us to his room and shows us around. My jaw dropped nearly to the floor when I saw this bedroom. It could probably fit three of my bedrooms inside of it and maybe more. I was amazed. But I didn't want to say anything and make Trevor think I was as jealous as I was, so I just sat down and started to make the posters. 

“What should our slogan be?” Asked Teddy

“Good question” I said

“How about, Trevor, Mike, and Teddy, are sure to have you ready. Vote us for student council presidents” said Trevor

“I like that,” Teddy and I said.

“Well then there we have it.” Said Trevor, smiling. 

We got to work on the posters. We got 5 posters done before Teddy and I decided it was time to go back home. The clock read 4:30 and my parents were sure to still be asleep. I got back inside and decided to use the door because the window might make a lot of noise. But that's when all the problems began. There was my sister in the kitchen who would have done anything to get me in trouble. Oh this was gonna be bad. I tried to sneak by while her back was turned. Unsuccessful. She caught me. What was I going to do? I darted down the hall. Up the stairs. Straight to my room. Put my pajamas back on as fast as possible. Then scrambled into my bed very recklessly. I laid my head on my pillow and tried to act as if I was asleep. At first it felt like minutes, then hours, then it was bright out. So I assumed I was in the clear. Maybe I got away with it. Besides, I could make up a story as to why my sister may have seen me in the kitchen at 4:40 in in the morning. I had the perfect story if my parents even asked. I woke up and felt like I had left something in the car so I went downstairs and outside to check if it was in there. But it turned out it was actually in my room. That ought to trick them. Right? Well, I hope so. I started downstairs and was met by a glorious smell. Bacon, muffins, juice. I am dining like a king this morning. I sat down at the island and got ready for my Saturday morning feast. Oddly I was very, very hungry. In the mornings I don't usually want to eat.  

“Good morning Mike!”

“Good morning mom”

“How did you sleep, bud?”

“Good”

I finished my breakfast and continued on with my day. I went back to Trevor's house and then we continued our student council work. We started to write our script but we were stumped. We had absolutely no idea what we were talking about or what we should even write. So, we decided we should just improvise on the day of the speeches. We thought that would work because we would probably get all the votes anyways. We would have no trouble winning. Right? But, we were running against George Washington’s, brother’s, son’s, cousin’s, daughter’s kid so it might be a tough one. He has presidency in his genes. But he was new to our school so he probably wouldn't get many votes. We had this in the bag. We would blow him out; he might not even get a single vote, or so we thought. The weekend went by in a flash and it was Monday morning. I was getting ready in my suit and tie trying to look as official as possible. Me, Teddy, and Trevor all had matching suits and ties so that we looked legit. I was on my way, walking to school practicing what I would say during our speech when I ran into my friends Jack, Greg, Elenor, and Harry. I gave them all “Vote Teddy, Mike, and Trevor” stickers and we were on our way to school. I was nervous but so excited. I was confusing myself with all my different feelings. We arrived at school and I went to talk to Oliver, Leo, Hunter, and Vick. I also gave them stickers. I was feeling better and better about the election by the second. I couldn't focus in class until I heard the announcement. 

“Will all student council candidates report to the auditorium”

That was my call. I was so excited I met Trevor and Teddy in the hallway as I was on my way down. We were silent but we each had so much to say. When I walked into the auditorium my face lit up like a Christmas light that was just plugged in. I couldn't put my finger on how I was feeling right now. But all I knew was that I was ready for this. It didn't matter what relation you had to George Washington I was to be the next co-president of the student council. There was no one who was going to stop that from happening. Until the principal asked us where our speech was. I had to pause “We are the Champions” from playing in my head and focus on this little hiccup.

“You see,” I said with a forced smile, “ we… we don't have… well we don't have a script”  

“You don't… have a script?” 

“That's right”

“Well,” he paused. “I guess you can improvise but it won't help your cause. Good luck”

“Thanks” I mumbled

I was baffled at the fact that we didn't write a script. I didn't think of how bad an idea that was until this very moment. 

We finished our speech and continued on with our days. But it didn't feel like a regular day. There was some sort of buzz in the air. It was the last period of the day when an announcement went off. They announced all of the winners which I ignored until I heard the certain words. “And for our president”. I practically jumped out of my seat. I was listening so carefully. “It seems we have a tie? We will have to revote to make sure the votes were counted properly.” About ten minutes later there was a form sent out and we were to all fill it out and vote for who we thought should be our president. Obviously I put myself. But then I started to think of all the people that could have not voted for me and my co-candidates. I came to realize that I didn't give Cole a sticker and he could have voted for Annie. This was bad. Within a few minutes they should make the announcement. But then the bell rang. I walked home barely able to walk straight. I was so nervous. I went home and hustled to my room to get done with all of my homework. It was a light night. Not much to do. After I finished all of my work I popped some mac n’ cheese in the microwave and got ready to eat dinner. All I could think about was the election. But none of my thoughts were positive. I had never felt so negative in my life. My parents were working late so I did not see them until I was about to go to sleep. Except, I did not fall asleep. I was too worried. I had no confidence because I assumed that we would lose. I then woke up on minimal hours of sleep. It was aroun 7:15 AM and I was ready to go to school. I had to walk because my parents were at work. I was on my way by 7:20 and arrived at school at 7:50 and met up with my friends Mick and Charlie. Then when I walked into school I heard the announcements. They were announcing who was the president. “Our winner is….Teddy, Trevor and Mike! Congratulations!”. I was grinning from ear to ear. This would be the best day of school I had in a while. Everyone was coming up to me and congratulating me on the win. Then the very second I heard the school bell ring I was off and I ran home to tell my parents that I won. Well, they werent home. I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally, they arrived and I told my parents the great news.

“That's great! Congratulations!” my mom said. 

Boy had a lot happen in the past few days. But finally I could relax.