Alessia | Teen Ink

Alessia

July 14, 2011
By headoverheels44 SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland
More by this author
headoverheels44 SILVER, Dickerson, Maryland
6 articles 0 photos 6 comments

My mother, Leona Rossi De Luca, used to always tell me when I was a young girl that my grandmother Juliet was the famous Juliet from the famous play of William Shakespeare and that my grandfather Russo was the famous man of that play. I would always tell her that the main male character of the play, that she could never remember the name of, was named ‘Romeo’ and not ‘Rocco’, but she would always grab my ear and yell, “Ah! But see here, my dear girl! In order to not make a ruckus for my parents William Shakespeare changed my father’s name! This made them a secret!” She would then shove some type of food into my mouth and sent me outside to play. As I looked at my mom’s cold face this scene played in my mind while my hand was squeezed by a smaller hand and tears soaked the side of my dress as the owner of that small hand rested his head on me.
‘She died peacefully in her sleep’, everyone at the hospital told me as I hustled into the hospital with my school uniform drenched in rain. All I can remember doing after that was fleeing to my mother’s room in hope she would comfort me after being made fun of by the workers of the building. When I reached her side I was faced with the reality that she was gone and never coming back.
A woman in all black shuffled over to me with regret on her face. She had been our landlord since I was a toddler and now came to say her goodbyes, “I’m so sorry to hear about your loss, Alessia. If there is anything I can do for you let me know.” The woman of her sixties shuffled away as quickly as she had come towards us.
The minister informed us that they would be moving my mother’s body to her final resting place and I nodded as I held the young child at my side back from grabbing at our mother’s casket so that she would not leave him, not yet. He cried more as we watched her casket carried outside and did not stop even when we reached the large, dark hole in the earth she would be kept in forever. Thunder rolled across the hill that started behind the small church and went up to the grave sites my mother would add to today. The sky had been a smoky slate all day and now the colors true intentions were presiding themselves. My mother was slowly lowered to the ground as the young boy at my side squeezed my waist in his arms and I stared. I had lost the ability to cry over my mother yesterday evening so I just watched in sorrow as she left our sides forever. When the hole was refilled over my mother everyone slowly dispersed from the burial site and only the two of us remained.
“We should go home. It’s getting late and we’ve school tomorrow.” I whispered as I put my open hand on the child’s head. He looked up to me with a tear covered face.
“I want to go to school with you.” He begged and I sighed before picking him up and slowly walking away from the burial site.
“We already discussed this. I will drop you off at school tomorrow and pick you up.” I replied as I stopped walking when I reached my station wagon and opened the back right side door. I set the small boy in the side seat and when I shut the door he scooted to the middle seat and buckled. I got into the driver’s seat and quickly started up the car. As I started driving I heard the child slowly stop crying, “Now that it’s just you and me in this family, we need to work together, okay?”
I heard him nod his head, “But we can’t make it without mommy.”
I cleared my throat, “We can and we will,” I turned a corner, “You don’t need to worry about anything but school. I will take care of everything else.”
“Okay.” He whispered and our conversation ended. When I drove up to the parking spot designated for our apartment and stopped the car before going to the back seat to pick up the small child. His small black tuxedo did not match his baby face since most eight year old boys did not typically wear tuxedos. His pale face now showed two red rings around his green eyes from crying and some of his brown hair had fallen into his face. He was slowly drifting off to sleep since the sun had started setting while we drove back and now all that was left was a faintly brighter area of gray compared to the rest of the gray that colored the sky. I climbed up the staircase on the outside of our apartment complex of only two floors and stopped in the hall at the door that had ‘208’ written in black numbers in the middle of its red colored wood. I juggled the boy in my arms as I tried to get my keys out of my black purse on my shoulder. When I finally wrestled the keys out of the bag and opened the door I carried the child inside and turned on the lights. I locked the door behind myself and then hurried him to the bed in the far corner of the room. As I set him on the bed he curled up while cuddling a pillow nearby and groaned as I tried to get him out of the tux and into a pair of pajamas that were in the pile of clothes nearest the large crack in the back wall of the room. By the time I fought him out of his clothes and into new ones I was exhausted and wanted to sleep, but I needed to do my homework. I had not been to school since the day my mom died and felt odd going back. It took me nearly till morning to do my homework, but when I finally finished I turned out all the lights and crawled into bed with the child. He snuggled against my chest and I wrapped my arms around him. This was the way my mom would hold him when all three of us would bundle into this small full sized mattress that sat on a very bare wooden frame I had helped my mother build when I was ten and I fell asleep. I did not sleep well because every small sound coming from the road behind and in front of our apartment woke me with fear.
I was woken up at six and shook my brother gently. When he awoke I carried him to the bathroom and turned on the shower. We got in quickly and were faced with the sudden shock of the ice cold water as we rushed to get washed and clean so that we could get away from the bitter cold. As the boy sat back on the bed I set out his uniform and he slowly got up to change. I changed quickly into my black and light blue checkered skirt, light blue cardigan, and black shoes before hurrying to the kitchen side of the room and sticking two pop-tarts into the toaster. I used a mirror in the side of the kitchen to put on makeup as the boy sat down at the table while resting his head on his hands. The pop-tarts popped out of the toaster after a few moments and I quickly hurried to give the kid one of them while sticking the other in my mouth. I hurried over to the bathroom and blow dried my hair as quickly as I could before rushing to the room while grabbing my bag on the way. The child waited at the door with his jacket on and his backpack on his back, but I added my dark navy scarf around his neck and smiled at him before slipping on my black uniform jacket and grabbing my bag off of the floor. When I opened the front door the boy hurried out and so did I before locking the door behind us. I picked him up before we went down the staircase, to the road, and started down the city sidewalk. By the time we reached the kid’s elementary school it was seven so we went to the front office and I smiled to the woman behind a desk who had too much blush on her face, “Good morning!” I called cheerfully as we walked in and set my brother down in a seat, “Is it alright if Marco waits for school to start in the office?”
The woman gave me a very regretful look before nodding, “Of course, Alessia. If there’s anything else we can help you with, let us know.”
I nodded, “I appreciate it,” I replied before kneeling in front of the boy and kissing his forehead, “You’ll be a good boy at school for me, won’t you?”
He smiled, “Yep!” With that I left the building and hustled over to my school. The bell to go to class rang as I got in the front door so I hurried to my locker to grab my history book before rushing to the classroom. When I got to class I went directly to the teacher who looked at me with grief.
“Hello, Ms. O’Neal. I have the papers for the days I have missed.” I said as I handed her the stack of papers.
She took them and watched me, “How are you holding up, Alessia?”
“Pretty well,” I replied, “Well I should go to my seat.”
“Of course.” She agreed before I walked over to my seat and sat down. The next three classes went smoothly, but when I got back to my locker at lunch I saw tons of presents in front of it along with my two best friends. They came over and embraced me from either side and I felt warm, safe.
“It must have been horrible!” Julie whispered as they let go, “Everyone was so freaked out when they heard! We got all these presents this morning for you too.”
“I appreciate the gifts. Marco can probably use most of it.”
Erin looked to me with sorrow, “How is he holding up?”
I sighed, “He finally stopped crying this morning.”
“Well he is only in 1st grade and he lost his mom to cancer.”
“But who is going to become your legal guardians?” Julie added.
“I am trying to gain legal custody of Marco.”
“But you’re only 16!”
I nodded, “Even though I am sixteen, I refuse to have Marco and I separated. He just lost our mom so I can’t leave him too.”
They both nodded with agreement but concern, “Oh! And you’ll never believe who asked us repeatedly how you were doing!”Erin blurted out.
“Who?”
“Vlad!” She gushed, “He was really worried!”
“I didn’t even think he knew my name.”
Julie snorted, “Well he obviously does since he asked about you!”
“I’ll be sure to tell him thank you for his concern.”
“I think he was actually looking for you earlier…” Erin whispered and I quickly left them. I made my way down the hallways of the school until I came upon a group of the most beautiful people in our school.
“Oh! Alessia!” A tall, brown haired, brown eyed boy in my math class called as he came from the group, “I’m sorry to hear about your mother.”
I smiled towards him, “Thank you for the concern,” I replied, “But I actually came to talk with Vlad.”
Vlad hurried over to me, “Hey,” He whispered, “Listen…” he scratched his head with uneasiness, “My dad told me to tell you he agrees.”
I let out a sigh as some relief filled me, “Thank you so much for this, Vlad. I owe you big time.” I whispered as I looked to the books in my arms.
“But didn’t your mom leave some money to you?”
I shook my head, “We had no money to our name when she was hospitalized with cancer so I started working to pay the medical bills. I have made enough to pay for living expenses, but I don’t have enough for my brother.”
“Your brother?”
“He has an artificial leg and cannot move around a lot on his own so I want to send him to a high school that can help him while I work.”
“So you are going to have two jobs now?”
I nodded, “It’s the only way to give my brother the best,” I whispered but then smiled up to Vlad, “Well I will come over starting this weekend.” I added before walking away from him.

The bell rang to let out the elementary school students as I waited in the office. I watched as many students ran outside to awaiting moms or dads. Marco had never had the chance for our mom to come pick him up since she was diagnosed with cancer a year before he even started school and Marco’s father died a few months after Marco was born in a car accident while on his way home from work. If only my stepfather had not died that day, then my mom would have died without as many worries and Marco would get to have what I was never able to. All of my hard work since my mother became pregnant with Marco had been towards giving him the life I wish I had, but now he was just like me in so many ways. I was startled when Marco poked my leg but when I looked to him he smiled, “Are you tired? You were dazed while staring out the window.”
I smiled back to him, “No, I was just thinking,” I replied as I stood. I put his backpack on my back before picking him up and set him on my hip, “Well let’s get you to Nathan’s house, okay?” I asked and he nodded. I walked with Marco’s bag on my back, my bag on my right shoulder, and Marco on my left hip while being held up by my left arm. When we got home I put our bags on the floor as Marco stood and waited by the door for me to change into my uniform for work. When I was done I picked Marco back up and carried him down the staircase of our apartment building in order to bring him to the red door labeled ‘133’ with black numbers. I knocked on the door and a very kind blonde haired woman smiled towards me. She looked to Marco with enjoyment.
“Hello Marco! Are you ready to play with Nathan and me?”
He nodded, “Yep!” He called before looking up to me, “You should go, sis.”
I set him down on the entryway to the room and kissed his forehead, “See ya’ later kiddo. Be good for Miss Rebecca!” I left the apartment complex and walked to the convenience store I worked at during the weekdays. As I came in I was immediately asked to work the cash register by the manager, but then after about an hour I was asked to restock the shelves. I restocked the two largest rows before going over to the area of fountain drinks to see a young girl and her mother. I minded my own business and started stocking cups when I heard the little girl make a slight grunt so I looked up. She stood on the tips of her toes while grabbing onto the black handle of one of the coffee pots while pulling back on it. I quickly hurried over to make her stop pulling on it but panicked as I saw the little girl slip back and the pot started to fall on her. I quickly dove and tried to grab onto the pot but it shattered as I felt a sharp pain. I quickly helped the little girl up and looked up to her mother and the manager as they hustled over to see what the large noise came from, “Are you alright?” I asked the little girl and she nodded.
“What in the world happened, Alessia!” The manager demanded.
“This little girl accidentally pulled the coffee pot off the counter and when I saw it falling I tried to catch it and protect her from the burning hot coffee, but the pot broke before I could catch it. I’m sorry.”
“Are you alright?” The mother asked and I smiled with a nod. I got up but as I put my hand on the floor so I could push myself up I felt a sharp pain and winced. Everyone’s eyes followed to my hand as I saw the red and white blisters coming up around the cuts on my hand, “Ohmigosh!” The mother gasped, “We should get you to the hospital!”
“I’ll be alright.”
The manager grabbed my arm and helped me up, “You need to see a doctor,” She insisted, “I’ll have to drive you.”
“Okay,” I whispered and she left to inform the assistant manager she would be leaving for a little while and came back with a pair of keys.
“Let’s go,” She insisted and I followed her away from the mom and daughter. We got into an old honda in order to get to the hospital and when we walked into the ER section I walked over to the front desk to see a familiar face.
“Well ifi ain’t Alessia! How ya’ doin’ hun?” The large, light browned hair, pale skinned woman in her early 50’s said with a smile.
“I’m fine, Becky, and yourself?”
“Good, good,” Becky looked over to my manager, “So wha bringsya’ here?”
“I got into a little bit of an accident and was hoping I could see a doctor.”
“What typ’a acciden’ we talkin’ ‘bout here?” She asked skeptically and I put my hand up to her view as she hopped up from her seat to examine it, “What’dya do?”
“A coffee pot fell and injured Alessia while at work,” My manager replied, “I wanted to make sure she got help because for all I know she wouldn’t even come to the hospital and just go home and pretend nothing’s wrong like she has done before.”
Becky nodded with understanding as she pressed the button for assistance from a doctor and came around the desk to take a firm hold of my elbow of my left arm, “I believe it Leona use’ta talk ‘bout siteations like this all da’ time while she was here,” Becky let out a small snort, “Once she tolme ‘bout a time when Alessia cames home early from school ‘cus she was forced home since she hada fever froma infection Leona didn’ even know ‘bout.”
A younger female nurse came over to Becky, “What is it Becky?”
“Have Mista Andrews drop whatevea he doin’ an tell ‘im to go ta room four.”
“For what, Becky? He’s visiting his own patients.”
Becky seemed to be irritated, “Tell ‘im Leona’s girls’ here. He’ll know whata do.” The woman walked away as Becky started to pull me by my elbow until we got to a room and she sat me down. My manager sat in the seat at the side of the room near the bed I was sat on as I heard someone jogging down the hallway. A very light skinned, black haired man with amazing cat’s eye colored irises came into the room and stopped hurrying when he saw me.
“Alessia, what are you doing here? Is everything alright?” He asked as he came over to me. When he saw my hand he seemed to tense before he sat down beside me on the bed and looked up to me for an explanation.
“A coffee pot fell and injured Alessia at work.” My manager said as Dr. Andrews looked back to her and then looked to me.
“Is this your new guardian?”
I shook my head, “She is my manager at my workplace.”
He looked back to my manager, “I will make sure Alessia receives the best care so you can leave and get back to your store.”
She stood with a sigh and then walked over to me. She set her hand on my shoulder, “Stay home until your hand is better and you don’t need to worry about the pay. I’ll still give you your salary and pay for the hospital expenses.”
“Thank you so much, Manager.” I whispered before she walked out with a nod towards me. I looked up to the doctor, “Dr. Andrews, I have to get home quickly so could you treat me soon please? I don’t want to worry Marco by being late home.”
He smiled towards me, “Of course. I will even drive you home so you will get to be with him soon.”
“That isn’t necessary.”
“But I insist.” He whispered and I sighed before agreeing.
When Dr. Andrews stopped the car I opened my door before looking to him, “Thanks for the ride, Doctor.”
He shook his head, “It’s really nothing, Alessia.” He replied but suddenly became silent as he stared at me.
“What is it, Dr. Andrews?”
He sighed, “Alessia,” he started and I knew this would be a serious conversation, “I really want you to consider what I offered earlier. Please at least give it some thought. Take however much time you need before replying. I can wait.”
I nodded, “I promise I will really think about it, Doctor, and I will call or visit you when I have come to a decision.”
“Goodnight, Alessia.” He whispered before I got out and then shut the door. I walked over to Miss Rebecca’s door and knocked before looking back to see Dr. Andrews watching me from his car. It was obvious by his posture he did not plan to leave until he saw Marco and I get our apartment safely. Miss Rebecca opened the door and smiled towards me as I made sure to not let her see my left hand.
“Hey, Alessia, aren’t you early today?”
I nodded with a smile, “My boss let me leave a little early so I thought I would come back early to spend some more time with Marco.” I replied and she nodded with an understanding smile. We were both surprised when Marco came jogging to the door as I kneeled down.
“You’re back, sis!” He called as I picked him up and put him on my right hip, but held him with only my right hand.
“Were you good for Miss Rebecca?”
She smiled towards me, “He was better behaved than usual which I didn’t even think was possible. He even helped me with the dishes after dinner.”
I looked to him, “That was very nice of you.”
He nodded, “But I wanted to learn since you have to do everything at home.”
I smiled, “You do not have to do that,” I replied before looking to Miss Rebecca again, “Thanks again and we’ll see you on Monday.”
“Oh, alright. Goodnight.” She replied before I turned from the door and she shut it. I walked up the stairs of the apartment building before going to our door. I set Marco down to get my keys out and open the door with my right hand. When I opened it he walked in slowly as I went to the railing of our floor and waved down to the doctor before going back inside and shutting the door.

Since it was Saturday we woke up at around 10 and got into the shower. When I put a plastic bag around my hand Marco noticed my injury even though I had been hiding it since I got home last night. After we hurried through the shower he demanded for an explanation and when I told him what happened he got mad, “Then you shouldn’t go to this new job.”
I pulled the two pop tarts out of the toaster, “This is the first day of a job one of my classmates had to struggle to get for me so I cannot miss the first day of work.”
“But you’re injured.”
“It is mainly cleaning I will be doing so it won’t be too hard,” I replied as I handed him one of the pop tarts before sticking the other one in my mouth and holding it with my teeth as I slipped on my tennis shoes and jacket with one hand. I stood and took a bite of the food as I walked over to grab a jacket from the corner of the room near the large crack in the back wall for Marco before going over to him. He stood and took the coat so I could quickly eat my breakfast while he got on his shoes after putting his jacket on. When I was done I followed Marco out the door and locked it before picking him up and holding him up with only one arm. I carried Marco down the street in front of our apartment building until we reached a very familiar house and went to the door. An older woman smiled as she answered the door.
“You’re right on time, Marco,” She said with a smile before I set him down and he went to her side, “We will see you in a few hours, Alessia.” The physical therapist said before I walked away and went around the next corner. I hurried to the address Vlad had given to me a week ago and when I got there I pressed the button for the buzzer at the front gates of the mansion.
“Yes?”
“This is Alessia, the new maid.” I said and there was a loud buzzing sound as the front gates were automatically unlocked so I quickly made my way inside. I took a short look at the size of the house before hurrying to the door. An older gentleman dressed like a butler opened the door as I walked onto the front porch and allowed me inside. He shut the door behind me as I walked in so I turned back to him.
“The young master has requested you come to his father’s office.” He said before leading me down a hallway. We stopped in front of a large wooden door and when the butler opened it I smiled as I saw Vlad. He came over to me and took my hand before leading me over to a desk where a man looked down so I could not see his face.
“Dad, this is my friend from school that has asked to work for our house,” Vlad explained, “Her name is Alessia De Luca.”
The man’s head shot up as he heard my name and I froze. The man from the photographs I was not supposed to have seen looked at me as though I was a ghost. I quickly ignored it and bowed my head, “Thank you very much for this opportunity. I really appreciate it.” I whispered but when I looked to Vlad he stared at my wrapped hand.
“Did you have this bandage on yesterday at school? I did not notice it.”
I shook my head, “It’s nothing.”
“It certainly does not look like ‘nothing’. You should’ve called me if you were injured. My brother gave you my number, didn’t he?”
I smiled, “Yes he did but this is nothing I need to miss a job for.”
A knock came to the door of the room and I turned to see a kind face with a warm smile, “Hey, Alessia,” Vlad’s older brother named Kole walked into the room while carrying something in his arms, “I believe this belongs to you.” I looked to Marco and sighed before walking over to Kole and taking Marco from him with one arm. I set him on the ground, kneeled before him, and brushed some hair that had fallen into his face out of the way.
“I told you to stay at Miss Julia’s home, didn’t I? How did you get here?”
He looked to the ground, “I followed you,” He whispered before looking to me with powerful eyes, “I don’t want you to work when you’re hurt!”
I smiled and patted his head, “I want t0 give you a good life, Marco, so I have to work no matter the cost. Now you know you’re not supposed to walk around too much,” I pulled up his pant leg and checked his fake leg for any problems before looking back to his face, “Will you wait outside until I’m done?”
He nodded but suddenly froze with a horrified look on his face as he stared behind me. I followed his gaze to the man behind the desk but returned to looking at Marco as he grabbed onto my jacket, “Sis that’s…” He started to whisper as he shook and I smiled.
“It’s alright. Go outside.” I added before watching him walk out and going back to Vlad’s side to face his father, “I’m sorry about that.”
“Who was that?”
I looked to the familiar man, “My half brother.”
The man looked to his son, “Vlad, could you leave us alone for a moment to talk?”
“Of course,” He replied before putting his hand on my shoulder, “I will go keep an eye on your brother.”
“Thanks.” I whispered before watching Vlad leave the room and shut the door behind him. I turned back to the familiar man to see he was watching me.
“That boy confirmed my suspicions.”
“Suspicions?” I repeated and he seemed to become annoyed.
“Don’t play dumb, Alessia,” He hissed as he watched me, “You know who I am, don’t you?” When I looked away he seemed to understand.
“I did not really care who you were because I believed if you did not want to be with us then I did not want to know who you were, but a few years ago Marco found a photograph of the two of you together and he figured it out.”
“I saw the announcement of Leona’s death in the newspaper.”
“I assumed you would.”
“I was planning on coming to visit you.”
“We don’t live where we used to.”
“Then I would have found out your address and come to see you.”
“I wouldn’t have let you in.”
He stood from his chair and walked over to me, “Now that Leona has passed away how are you surviving with that child? She could not have left much.”
“She left enough and I am working so we can live well when there is no money left.”
“I could help you out so you do not need to work at all.”
I took a few steps back, “I don’t want your pity or your money,” I hissed before walking over to the door, “Don’t plan on us ever coming back.” I added and then left the room. I went to the front entrance of the home and saw Marco talking with Kole and Vlad but they all stopped as I came over, “Time to go home, kiddo.” I said before picking Marco up and holding him up with one arm.
“Did you talk to that man?” Marco asked and I nodded.
“I’ll see you at school, Vlad.” I whispered before walking out the door. As I walked down the sidewalks towards our house I stopped at a park a few kids were playing on and set Marco next to me on bench. He stared at me with concern on what I would say next, “Marco, I don’t want you to make anything out of what happened today. Those people will have nothing further to do with us. I will stop having contact with Vlad and Kole so you don’t have to worry about that man getting close to you. I promise I will make sure he stays away from us.”
Marco swung his legs as he sat on the seat and we both watched his limbs move back and forth until they stopped. I watched Marco’s face but he never looked to me, “If you want to you can get in contact with him, sis,” He finally looked to me and I felt slight relief, “He’s your dad, right? So you should be in contact with him.”
I wrapped my right arm around his shoulders and squeezed him against me, “The only family I have ever had is you, mom, and dad. As far as I care, I do not have a real dad,” I squeezed him against me tighter as I looked to the ground, “You don’t know how many times I’ve wished I could erase my father and make your dad my real dad too.”
“But don’t you like those two boys?”
I looked to my jeans, “Now that I know the truth I will never be able to look at them the same again. They are related to that horrible man,” I stopped and looked down to my phone as it vibrated. Kole blinked on the front screen so I quickly shoved the phone into my jacket pocket, but pulled it back out when it continued to vibrate longer than it should have. Dr. Andrews was now calling so I quickly flipped open the phone, “Hello?”
“Alessia, exactly what time do you think you will be dropping Marco off for his appointment with me today?”
I let out a breath, “We’ll be there in 20 minutes.” I whispered before closing the phone and looking to Marco, “We should get you to your appointment with Dr. Andrews.”
“Is he at the hospital? Shouldn’t he be out at lunch?”
I shook my head, “Today is his day off but he wanted to have a personal appointment with you. He asked me to bring you a few days ago. Are you alright with going?”
He nodded as he started to swing his legs again, “I like Dr. Andrews. He’s really nice to me and we get to talk about sports when I’m with him.”
I smiled towards the small boy, “He seems to enjoy the time you spend together also.” I stood and picked up the boy with one hand to hold him on my hip. I walked quickly towards the richer part of town and stopped at a large apartment complex. I buzzed the only button on the line for the fourth floor of the building and waited.
“Yes?”
“Dr. Andrews, we’re here.” I and immediately the door to the front of the building unlocked. I quickly moved to grab the door with my left hand but Marco grabbed it before me.
“Don’t hurt your hand anymore,” He whispered before I used my foot to open the door more so I could quickly go through. I went to the elevator and Marco pressed the button for the fourth floor. The doors closed and when they opened again I quickly walked out and went to the white door slightly to the right in the hallway on the opposite wall to the elevator. I set down Marco and knocked on the door before we waited for the doctor to come to the door, “Hey Doc!”
Dr. Andrews smiled down towards Marco before looking up to me kindly, “We should be done in about an hour.” He said as we both watched Marco invite himself in.
“Could Marco possibly stay a little longer? He really enjoys spending time with you.”
“Won’t you come in and join us? I just started preparing lunch.”
I shook my head, “I actually have to meet someone so I will be back as soon as I can.” I walked away and took the stairs to the first floor. I walked down a few blocks and six blocks to the left before walking into a diner to see a familiar face, “Good afternoon, Glenda.”
“He’s in the last booth on the left side,” She stated before coming closer, “Do you need me to keep an eye on y’all?”
I shook my head, “Thanks though,” I whispered back before walking back to the last booth on the left. A man with deep, jet black hair and dazzling hazel eyes stared me down until I sat down across from him at the table. I looked to him as he watched me more intensely, “It’s been a while.”
“It certainly has,” he replied before taking a sip of the coffee in front of him, “So what did you want to talk to me about? You never call me out for anything.”
I looked down to the table for a moment before looking back to his face, “I want you to let me have full adoptive custody of Marco.”
He leaned back in the booth and crossed his arms over his chest, “So you think you can take care of that murdering child?”
I stared him down until he looked away from me, “You can think whatever you want of Marco and me, I don’t really care, but I need your consent so I can become his legal guardian.”
“And what will I gain from letting you have custody of the boy?”
“Name your price; I don’t care what it is.”
“You love that boy that much?”
“He is all I have left,” I hissed back, “So what are your conditions?”
He placed some money on the table and slipped on his coat, “The price is the same it has always been, Alessia. Come on.” I quickly followed him to the front of the diner, waved with a smile towards my friend, and followed the man to a place of no return.

When I finally got to Dr. Andrew’s apartment door it was two in the morning and it took me almost two hours to get across town due to limping. I knocked on the door lightly but no noise came so I knocked a little harder, finally a noise came from inside of the home. A very tired Dr. Andrews came and opened the door with concerned eyes, “You didn’t answer your phone all night. Marco was so worried he cried himself to sleep about three hours ago.”
I looked to the carpet of the hallway, “I’m really sorry. I did not plan to take very long and I certainly did not plan to impose Marco on you,” I whispered before looking to his face, “I think Marco and I should go home. He should sleep in his own bed.”
“Come in,” Dr. Andrews whispered and I quietly walked in. I then followed him into the master bedroom of the apartment to see Marco sleeping with red rings around his eyes. The doctor slightly shook Marco and he slowly woke up to see me kneeling on the side of the bed, “Your sisters here to get you.”
“Sis!” Marco cried as he burst into tears and latched onto me as he hopped out of the bed. His grip around my neck was tight but I held him closely as he cried more.
“Shhh, it’s okay Marco, I’m here so there’s no need to cry.”
He lifted his head from my shoulder and looked to me, “Where did you go?”
I watched his eyes, “That doesn’t matter, right? I’m here now.”
“Why won’t you tell me?”
I looked down to my jeans and then back up to his eyes, “It’s not important,” I stood and held onto Marco with one arm, “Thanks again Dr. Andrews.” I added before going to the door, but was stopped when the doctor got in front of me.
“It’s too late for you to be walking on the city streets. I insist you two stay here.”
“That’s not necessary.”
He stared me down, “This isn’t a request, Alessia,” He looked to Marco, “Why don’t you sleep some more, Marco? I need to talk with your sister.”
I went and put Marco in the bed with the sheets up to his shoulders and kissed his head, “Get some sleep, kiddo. We’ll leave in the morning.” I followed Dr. Andrews out of the room and into his living room.
“Sit down on the couch, Alessia,” He insisted and I did so, “Now why don’t you tell me why you’re limping.”
“Dr. Andrews…”
“Call me Liam.”
“Mr. Liam, I hurt my ankle on the way here, that’s all.”
He crossed his arms over his chest, “Then what is that large red mark on the bottom of your neck? It’s certainly too big to be a bug bite.”
I looked down as my phone vibrated to see Vlad flash across the screen. I quickly answered, “Hello? Vlad?”
“Alessia, why haven’t you been answering your phone? I’ve called you six times and brother has called you so many times that I’ve lost count.”
I squeezed my shirt in my left hand which sent pain through my body and calmed me, “I’m sorry to have worried you. I was meeting with my lawyer earlier so I could not have my phone on.”
“Well are you okay? You seemed upset when you left and my dad has refused to leave his office so I thought maybe you did not agree about something.”
I smiled, “Nothing of the sort. I was just worried about my brother walking all the way to your home. That is all. I did not mean to upset your father if I did.”
“So where are you right now? Brother went to your house earlier but he said you weren’t there so he went to the land lady and she said she had not seen the two of you back since early this morning.”
“Yes, I had left my brother with a relative and we did not get home till about midnight. But tell Kole we are fine and safe and not to worry, alright? Now I need to go before I wake up Marco so I will talk to you later.”
“Alright, goodnight.” He whispered before hanging up and I shut my phone.
“Sorry about that.”
“Who was that on the phone?”
“A classmate.”
“Then why did he seem so informal?”
“I am seeing his older brother who is in college.”
“Are you dating him?”
I shook my head, “Of course not.”
“So you are just seeing him?”
I looked to him for a moment, “I trust you, Mr. Liam, but I can’t let you know everything about the world we have been and are living in.”
“Why not? I want to help you, Alessia.”
“I could never do that. You are of a sheltered life, Mr. Liam. You are part of a great society I could never live in,” I looked to the window, “When I was a child nothing was as it should have been. I never had a care in the world and knew I could never escape the horribly elite society I was born to join,” A smile came across my face, “Everything changed the moment Marco’s dad came into the picture. He changed me completely and then when Marco was born I became happy for the first time. I treasured that child like nothing else in the world mattered and made sure he would never fall into the world I lived in,” I felt tears come to my eyes, “The day Marco’s dad died I promised I would do anything to make Marco become part of a better world,” I looked to Mr. Liam as a tear fell down my face, “He was almost fully part of the world you live in when our mom died but once she was gone I didn’t know what to do,” I clutched my sleeves over my hands and looked to my legs, “My previous step father legally is all the family we have now so he was supposed to take Marco and I in but I had to stop it. If Marco got involved with that man he would surely never be able to live a good life.”
“So do you think the school he told me about is the way to get him into a good life?”
I nodded, “It’s a boarding school that will get him out of this mess.”
He sighed, “But I told you I want to adopt both of you, Alessia. I meant it and can’t my adopting the two of you get you to become part of the good life you say I’m part of?”
I watched him for a moment and then looked towards the room Marco slept in, “I am beyond the point of corruption, Mr. Liam, but I think if you took Marco he would live better and be able to have a good life. Even though we would be separated, I think you should adopt Marco. It is for the best.”
“But what about you?”
“I certainly have enough money to get by and if anything my previous step father wants me to live with him.”
“Why will you live with him but you won’t have Marco live with him?”
“My previous step father does not look kindly towards Marco even though I will never let them meet.”
“What does he think about Marco?”
I looked up to his eyes, “He thinks Marco is the reason anyone that gets near us dies. He said that mom and Marco’s dad are just his recent victims.”
“That’s outrageous! That little boy is nothing less than perfect!”
I nodded, “I agree, but regardless of what I say he will not change him mind.”
“What about your real father?”
I shot an angry glare at Mr. Liam, “That man has nothing to do with us!” I looked away and grabbed onto my pants, “Besides, he already has the perfect family, job, and life. He doesn’t need me and he has no connection to Marco in the least.”
“I don’t think Marco will agree to live with me without you coming along also.”
I smiled, “I will visit when I can and regardless he truly enjoys…” My phone rang again and I looked down to see my pervious step father’s name flash across the front screen, “Hello?”
“Hey you left your mom’s necklace at my place but where are you? I came to your house to return it but no one answered.”
“I’m at an acquaintance’s house.”
“Well give me the address.”
“You don’t need to give me the necklace now. I can get it from you next week.”
“So it’s your boyfriend’s house? That’s why you don’t want me to come?”
“No, I’ll give you the address but Marco is asleep so I will have to meet you outside.”
“Fine, fine.” He mumbled and I quickly gave him the address of Dr. Andrews before hanging up and looking to the doctor.
“My previous stepfather said he needs to give me something so I have to meet him outside,” I stood and adjusted my shirt, “I’ll be right back.” I quickly left the apartment and went to the elevator. It took a few moments to get outside and I saw my stepdad leaning up against his car smoking a cigarette. He took the stick out of his mouth and let out a large puff of smoke before noticing me and smiling as I slowly walked over to him.
“This certainly isn’t one of your friend’s places,” He commented as he looked up at the building, “Who the hell lives here that you know?”
I put my hands in my jacket pockets, “The doctor who took care of mom before she passed away. I told you about him, he’s the guy who wants to adopt Marco and me.”
“Are you considering it since you’re staying here?”
I shook my head, “He refused to let me take Marco because he said it was too late for me to be walking around town.”
My stepdad smiled as he put the cigarette back in his mouth, “The guy obviously knows nothing about you since he doesn’t think you can take care of yourself at night. He must’ve never been in your house if he thinks you can’t handle city streets.”
I nodded, “Of course. I’ve made sure he knows nothing.”
He took the cigarette out of his mouth and let out a puff of smoke before handing me my mom’s necklace but when I took it out of his hand me grabbed my wrist and pulled me over to him. He kissed me deeply as I recoiled in disgust of the smoke filled kiss. When he finally separated our mouths’ he kissed the hickey he had left on my neck earlier before letting me slightly away but still holding me close with his arm around my waist. He put the cigarette back into his mouth and let out another puff before looking up and smiling. I did not follow his gaze as he looked back to me and laughed, “Seems we are being watched,” He mumbled and I immediately knew the doctor had seen us, “Have fun explaining this to the guy.” He joked before letting go of me fully and getting into his car. He drove off as I went back inside and to the elevator. When I knocked on the doctor’s door he did not answer so I let myself in and saw him sitting at the window where he had watched what just happened.
“Dr. Liam…”
His eye finally came to me and I shook with terror as the door shut behind me. They were rimmed with tears as anger filled his face, “What was that just now, Alessia?” He hissed and I looked to the ground. I quickly made my way to the room where Marco was sleeping but was stopped when the doctor grabbed my hand as I tried to open the bedroom door. He led me back into the living room but this time he pushed me down onto the couch, “You had sex with your stepfather before coming to get Marco, didn’t you?”
I looked away from the doctor’s gaze, “You want to rape me too?” I asked as I choked back tears, “I know you have ulterior motives for wanting to take Marco and me in so just fill your desires and let me leave.”
He looked away from me as he sat on the edge of the couch, “Is this really what your life has deteriorated to? You think all men will rape you just because they have feelings towards you?” He put his head between his hands, “Does Marco know?”
I sat up on the couch by my elbows, “Of course not,” I whispered and he looked over to me as I watched the ceiling, “I will do everything in my power to make it so Marco will never have to know or experience the hardships I am destined for. He is a special kid. He’s one of the smartest people I have ever met and I want him to have everything he can so I have been saving up for his education since I was allowed to have a job.”
“But what about you, Alessia?”
I looked to my chest, “I have been tainted since I was merely six years old,” I finally looked to the doctor, “That was the first time my step father forced me to sleep with him. My mom was out of town for work and I had no way to get away. My mother divorced him when she caught us when I was nine and then she remarried to Marco’s dad but I never stopped seeing my stepfather until the day Marco was born. Then my whole world revolved around that kid so I only saw my stepfather every couple months until Marco’s dad died. He promised that day that if I would see him whenever he asked he would help me financially to get Marco into the school I want him to go to.”
He sighed with frustration, “This is insane.”
“I’m sorry.” I whispered back but after about thirty minutes of silence I watched as the doctor slowly started to fall asleep on the edge of the couch. Once he was completely asleep I slowly laid him on the couch after I had gotten up and grabbed a deep green blanket from another couch in the room. I gently placed the blanket around the doctor before slowly creeping out of the room and into the master bedroom. When I came in I saw Marco sleeping soundly so I quietly lay beside him as he immediately latched onto my side. I watched the ceiling fan spin around until I finally dozed off.
I awoke when Marco started to wake and quickly turned to his side. I kissed his forehead as he opened his eyes, “Good morning, sleeping beauty,” I joked before sitting up, “Let’s go take a shower, alright?” Marco nodded so I picked him up like a child as I got out of bed. We went to the bathroom of the master bedroom and quickly took a hot shower but I made sure Marco did not turn around by telling him he was getting too old to be looking at his older sister without her having clothes on and it worked. We got out of the shower and I quickly put my clothes on before hurrying to the bed and remaking it. “Marco, how about we make Doctor Andrews breakfast as thank you for letting us stay here last night?”
He nodded with a smile as he came into the room, “But we can’t wake him up!” He warned and I agreed before walking into the kitchen as Marco followed. I pointed to a chair at the table in the kitchen after I had pulled it out quietly for Marco and he quickly sat down before watching me put bisquick and cream in a bowl before bringing it over to him.
“Mix this with your hands.” I whispered into his ear and he nodded as I walked away. I made my mom’s sausage gravy to go over the biscuits as Marco mixed and when he was done he put the dough into small balls and placed them on a baking sheet. As they cooked in the over I finished up the gravy but looked up when a yawn sounded in the room to see a very tired Dr. Andrews.
“Good morning Dr. Andrews!” Marco sang as I smiled towards them and Dr. Andrews ruffled Marco’s hair before sitting down next to Marco in a chair.
“What do I owe this gift?” Dr. Andrews asked, “It is very seldom someone makes breakfast for me.”
“This is our way of saying thank you for letting us stay the night,” I replied before taking the gravy off of the burner and taking out the biscuits, “Marco was a tremendous help.” I added as I quickly made three plates with biscuits and gravy and then brought them over to the table along with silver wear.
Marco swung his legs under the table as he took a bite, “What are we gonna do today?” He asked as he looked up to me and I sighed as I pushed food with my fork.
“Que sera, sera, Marco.”
He let out a small laugh, “Mom used to always tell me that,” He whispered and looked up to the doctor, “Have you seen that Shakespeare play with the girl named Juliet?”
The doctor nodded, “Yes.”
“Did you know that was about my grandparents? Cool, huh?”
I smiled towards Marco but did not confirm nor deny his remark. My cell phone in my pocket rang and I quickly stood to take the call in the next room. I walked over to the windows the doctor had watched my shame in action not too terribly long before and picked up the call, “Hello?” I asked with a kind voice.
“Alessia?”
“This is she.”
“Hey Alessia, it’s Rebecca from downstairs.”
“Hey Miss Rebecca, is something wrong? You do not usually call me.”
She sighed, “I don’t want to pry but an older man was skulking around early this morning and then came and asked me about you and Marco.”
I clenched my fists, “Did he give you his name?”
“No.”
I looked back to Marco who watched me with concern, “Thank you for the call Miss Rebecca, I will look into it. Goodbye,” I hung up the phone and quickly walked over to Marco as he stood with worry, “We gotta go kiddo.”
“What did Miss Rebecca say?”
I watched him for a moment, “She said someone came looking for us this morning and she was concerned something was wrong.”
“Who came to our house?”
I shook my head, “I’m not sure. All she said was he was an older man.”
“Do you think it’s…” He started to say as horror filled his face and I clenched my teeth.
“No, Marco,” I replied, “It couldn’t be.”
“But…”
“Marco!” I hollered and he shook with shock. I rarely ever yelled at him and when I did it scared him as much as it scared me to lose control of myself. I sighed, looked to the ceiling, took a deep breath, and then looked to Marco, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to yell at you,” I whispered as I went over and kissed his forehead, “I’m just concerned and it was mean of me to take out my insecurities on you.”
“It’s okay.” He whispered back before I picked him up and looked to the doctor.
“Thank you for everything, Dr. Andrews, but we should leave.”
“Wait!” The doctor argued as I stopped walking away, “I will drive you.” I did not put up a fight since I wanted to get home quickly so I accepted the offer and we quietly let the doctor drive us home. When he stopped in front of our apartment building I quickly got out and looked to the back seat at Marco.
“Stay here for a minute! I will be back when I know who’s looking for us.” I called before running up the stairs as going to our apartment. I unlocked the door and at first did not see anything but when I looked over to the bed I shook slightly.
“How long have you been seeing my son?”
I stared at my biological father as he stood from sitting on the mattress, “That has nothing to do with you. I broke it off with him once I knew he was my half brother.”
He came over to me, “What happened to Leona leaving you enough money to manage? I looked into it and saw she did not leave you anything but her debts. I also know about you meeting with that man for money and so he will help you become that boy’s legal guardian.”
I walked out of the door, “This is trespassing! You broke into my home and I demand you get out right now or I will call the police!”
He smiled, “They won’t care that your father came to see you.”
I clenched my teeth, “My father was Richard Marco Kenneling! I do not have any other fathers! He is the only one!”
The man walked over to me, “You are also prostituting yourself,” He added, “I don’t believe you stepdad would look kindly on that if he was still here,” I threw the door closed and started down the stairs as he followed, “Both of my sons are in love with you.” He blurted and I whipped around as I stopped a few feet from the staircase on the sidewalk that led to Marco.
“Shut up! You don’t know what you’re talking about!” I hollered and then started walking again but stopped when he grabbed my arm.
“I can’t let you live in this filthy place when you should be living with me!” His grip tightened, “I have decided you will be living with us.”
I pulled away from his hand and pointed my finger at the apartment building, “You have no right to insult me, my home, my jobs, or any other part of my life!” I hollered, “You chose to leave us so don’t try to weasel your way back into my life now!” I stormed over to the car but stopped before the door Marco sat behind, “I plan to never talk to you or any of your family ever again, so buzz off.” I opened the door to the car and smiled towards Marco as I picked him up, “Thanks again Doctor.” I said before closing the door as I held Marco on my hip.
“Sis…” He whispered as he grabbed onto me. I quickly pushed his face into my shirt.
“I don’t want to ever see you near us again now leave us alone.” I hissed as I walked away.
“Alessia!” The man hollered as I started up the stairs but I looked to Marco.
“What do you want for dinner tonight, kiddo?” I asked and he smiled to me.
“Pasta!”
I let out a small laugh, “Pasta it is.” I brought Marco inside and locked the door from everything else that could harm him.

We woke up at the usual time and went through the routine of our morning but I made sure Marco did not see my bruises. When he changed into his clothes for the day I quickly changed into my black and light blue checkered skirt, light blue cardigan, and black shoes but this time I wore black leggings underneath to hide my bruised legs and to keep me warm in the late November weather. I made pop tarts and we ate them as we left the house with our coats, scarves, and backpacks. I carried Marco to the elementary school and dropped him off in the front office but before I left I kissed his forehead, “Have a good day at school and be nice to others, okay kiddo? And don’t forget to go home with Miss Rebecca.”
He smiled towards me, “Yep!”
I left with slight concern for the child but quickly made my way to school but due to my slight limping I barely made it into my classroom on time. My morning classes went smoothly and when I went to my locker at the beginning of lunch I saw Julie and Erin waiting for me with smiles that broadened as I walked up, “Hey.” I said kindly as they moved out of the way so I could put my books into my locker.
“Care to explain?” Erin said as she poked my wrist above my burned hand.
I sighed, “First can you guys accompany me to the nurse’s office?” They nodded and then followed me to the nurse’s room, but when I knocked on the door the kind face of Mr. Luther froze with concern.
“What can I do for you, Alessia?”
I smiled, “Could you re-wrap my hand please?”
He stared at the bandages and then looked up to the two girls who followed me, “Could you two wait out here? I have a sleeping student in here so I don’t want anyone to disturb him.”
“Of course.” Erin replied and Julie nodded. I quietly followed the doctor into the room and sat in a chair he gestured towards. He took out some supplies from a wooden cabinet.
“What did you do to your hand?” He asked in a whisper and mellow tone.
“There was an accident at my workplace and I burned my hand.”
“How badly?” He asked in the same way as he placed some supplies on the counter to my right and took a seat in a swivel chair in front of me.
“There are third degree burns on most of my hand.”
“Ah,” He replied and then unwrapped the bandage I had put on my hand last night. His eyes doubled in size as he looked up to me, “Alessia, these are severe burns.”
I looked away but I did not matter, the tears I tried to hold back would not stop. I started to cry and used the back on my sleeves to wipe my tears away, “I don’t know what to do anymore, Mr. Luther!” I cried as I covered my face with my hands, “My doctor doesn’t think I will ever be able to fully use my hand again but if I can’t use it I can’t work! Then I will lose my brother! I will lose the only family I have left!” I bent over, “I’ve been working for so long to not lose him and get him into a school where he could be helped but if I can’t work we will go into poverty again! I don’t know what to do anymore!”
“Alessia, in these situations you have to look at what’s best for the child,” The nurse said as he put his hand on my shoulder, “You can’t think of your own wants, you need to only think of what is the best choice for Marco.”
I looked up to the nurse with horror in my face, “I have to give him up,” I whispered as I looked to my feet, “I can’t let him live like this anymore.”
He sighed, “Give it some thought, Alessia, then go talk to Dr. Andrews,” He replied and then started re-wrapping my hand, “Now get back to your friends and try not to think about it for a while.” I nodded and wiped away tears before standing and leaving the room. I went through the rest of the day without thinking about the problem ahead and when school let out I started walking towards the hospital. When I reached the desk I was told to go back to a certain room and when I got there I sat on the white bed and waited for Dr. Andrews. He finally came in about 20 minutes later with a faint smile.
“Sorry about that. There was an emergency.”
I nodded, “I assumed that.”
He sat in a chair after pulling it up to the bed. He unwrapped my hand and examined it for a moment before looking up to my face, “Alessia, I had hoped this wouldn’t happen but you can’t work for at least the next six months. Most likely you will never gain all mobility in your hand.” I looked away from him and he seemed hurt while wrapping up my hand again.
“I can’t support Marco anymore Dr. Andrews,” I looked up to him, “I want you to adopt him and become his dad.”
“What about you, Alessia?”
I smiled, “I certainly have enough money to support myself,” I stood, “Will you adopt Marco for me?”
He nodded, “Of course.”
I slipped on my coat, “I just wanted to make sure you still wanted to adopt him before telling him.”
“You’re going to tell him right now?”
“I will tell him within two days and in that time could you set up the paperwork?”
“I will,” He said with a nod, “I’ll call you when the paperwork is done.”
“Goodbye.” I whispered before quickly walking out of the hospital. I walked as it started to snow for the first time this season and I felt a little better until a honk came from a nearby car so I turned to see Kole drive up in his black car.
“Hop in,” He said with a serious voice so I did not argue. I got into the front passengers seat and he quickly started driving again, “Vlad called and told me the three of us need to talk and that he had seen you going towards the hospital so I waited in the parking lot for you but saw you walking out the front so I had to catch up.”
I looked over to Kole, “What does Vlad need to have the three of us talk about?”
“He didn’t say, but he seemed paranoid on the phone so I didn’t question him,” We both became silent for a moment until Kole spoke again, “Where were you Saturday night? Who’s house did you go to?”
I sighed and looked out the window of the car, “It’s not what you think, Kole. I had left Marco at our doctor’s home while I went to meet with my lawyer and when I got back really late that night so he insisted we stay there the night that’s all.”
He gave me a side glance, “I was worried you had gone and slept with a man.”
I shook my head, “I wouldn’t do that when I like you.” I whispered as we drove into the driveway. Kole stopped the car and we both got out. Kole took my hand as we went to the door and walked into the house.
“Vlad!” Kole called into the house as I took off my shoes, “I’m home and I brought Alessia with me!” Vlad flew down the stairs as I slipped of my final shoe.
I walked over to him, “Vlad, what is this about? I really shouldn’t be here. Marco is waiting on me.”
“Let go to the living room,” Vlad whispered with a sigh and we followed him into the living room. I sat on the couch across from Vlad as Kole sat at his brother’s side, “I didn’t mean to eavesdrop, Alessia, but I heard your conversation with Mr. Luther at the beginning of lunch. I was resting in the nurse’s office after getting injured at gym and heard everything.”
“I see.”
“What did you say to Mr. Luther?”
I looked away from Kole as Vlad cleared his throat, “Alessia may have injured her hand so badly that she may never be able to work again and then she won’t be able to support Marco. She will have to give him up.”
“What?” Kole asked as he watched me, “Is that why you went to the hospital today?”
I nodded, “I will most likely never be able to fully use my hand ever again,” I whispered as I finally looked back to him, “Marco will be adopted by our doctor by the end of the month.”
“But you can’t give up!” Kole hissed as he stood, “You love that boy!”
I looked to my feet, “I can’t support him and get him into a school where he can be helped if I can’t work. I have to think of what will be best for Marco.”
“We can help you financially!” Vlad said as he stood also, “I’m sure my dad will understand and help you!”
I shook slightly as the door to the house opened, “Good evening Master.” A maid called as I watched Vlad start out of the room but I quickly grabbed his arm.
“No!” I begged, “You can’t ask him!”
“But he can help!” Vlad argued but we both stopped when his father walked up.
“Who can help?” My biological father asked, “Are you referring to me?”
“Dad, Alessia…” Vlad started to say but stopped when I quickly let go of him and rushed to get out of the house but was forced to stop when the man put his arm up in front of me.
“What happened to you would never talk to my family again?” He asked with a smirk and I frowned as I looked to the two boys staring at us.
“Your children insisted I come here and said it was important so I had to come!”
My biological father looked to Vlad, “What did you call her here for?”
“Dad, Alessia has found out her injury to her hand will make so she can probably never work again and so she won’t have enough money to take care of her brother and will have to put him up for adoption.”
The man looked to me, “You did not tell me any of this last night, Alessia.”
I looked away, “I did not know at the time and even if I had I still would not have said anything.”
“What do you mean last night?” Kole asked as he moved closer.
My biological father looked to me, “My offer is looking much better now?” He asked with a smile, “If that child is out of the way then you do not have to stay in that monstrosity because I am certainly not going to allow you to live with that rapist.”
“What?”
He watched me, “I did a little more research on you and found out a lot about your stepfather and your relationship. If you go and live with him as you are planning I will go to a lawyer and tell him about the hundreds of times you have been raped by that man.”
I was taken back, “How do you know anything about that?”
“I know everything, Alessia. I know about all of your jobs, your relationships, and your living situation. If you would take up my offer all of that could disappear,” His hand gripped my arm, “Also I could let that boy live here too for free and pay for his schooling.”
I pulled away from his grip, “As if I would ever let you touch Marco, you pig!” I hissed and the quickly started to walk away but turned back to the man, “If I see you anywhere near Marco I will not hold back my anger towards you anymore.” I quickly stormed out of the house and quickly ran to our apartment building.

On Wednesday night I took Marco to his favorite restaurant, which was not very fancy and when we were in the middle of the meal Marco suddenly stopped eating, “What is it Marco? Do you not like your food?”
He watched me, “Something’s wrong, isn’t it? Since Monday you have been acting weird and then we go out to dinner for no special reason.”
I put down my fork, “Actually this is for a special occasion.”
“What?”
I looked to my food, “Tonight will be our last night together.”
“Huh?”
“As of tomorrow morning you will be adopted by Dr. Andrews and will become his adopted son.”
“Why!”
I looked to him and then to my hands that were in my lap, “Let’s get our check,” I whispered and the waiter who I knew came over with the check. I paid and then carried Marco out of the place. I put him in the back of the car and got in the driver’s seat before starting the car. As I drove I felt Marco watching me, “I found out Monday afternoon that my left hand will probably never fully recover and that I may not be able to work for the next year.”
“What does that have to do with us separating?”
I focused on the road, “If I can’t continue to work I can’t get you into the school of our dreams,” I whispered as I turned to the right, “Dr. Andrews can give you the life you deserve, Marco, so I have to give you up to him.”
“But I don’t want to leave you!”
I parked in my spot behind our apartment complex, “I can’t legally keep you if I don’t have a steady income, Marco. We have no choice. Either I can give you up willingly to the person of my choice or you can go to an orphanage.”
“I want to stay with you!” He hollered and then burst into tears. I quickly got him out of the back seat and hugged him tightly to me as he cried while I went up to our apartment. I unlocked the door and brought him inside. As he cried I changed his clothes for pajamas and then placed him in the bed. I lay next to him and held him tightly as I finally started to cry too.
“I’m sorry, Marco. I’m so sorry.” I whispered over and over until we both fell asleep.
I awoke when there was a knock at the door and I quickly picked up Marco. I grabbed his school clothes and a small bag I had packed for him before picking him up out of bed while he still slept. I quietly went to the door and opened it enough so I could get out before closing it. Dr. Andrews took Marco’s sleeping body from me before taking the small bag and stack of school clothes. I kissed Marco’s forehead and then looked to the doctor, “Take good care of him.” I whispered before he nodded and left with the child. I quickly went into my apartment and got ready for school. Once I was out of the shower I did my homework before I had to leave for school. As I walked to school I forced myself to look away from the elementary school.

That night I went to work not because I was supposed to or I was asked, I had to get out of that quiet apartment. When I walked in everyone seemed to stare as they always seemed to do when I would walk into the room. I went over to the bar and smiled as Angie came around the counter to hug me. Her large breasts pressed against me as she embraced me but when she let go she had a few tears in her eyes, “How’s your brother taking it? Is he any better?”
I placed my phone on the counter before sitting down on a barstool. She watched me, “I can’t talk about it. Not right now,” I whispered as I looked around the room to see who came tonight, “It’s too fresh for me to talk about.”
“I understand.” She whispered before going behind the counter in a hurry as I watched the owner come into the room from a side door. When she noticed me her whole face brightened while she came over to me.
“Well if it isn’t our little star?” She asked as she hugged me lightly, “Ready to work?”
I nodded, “Of course.”
She smiled but we both turned to the front door as it opened and the room fell silent, which probably wasn’t good. A very handsome black haired man of about 22 came into the room and every eye was on him while he walked over to the front desk girl. “Good evening.” He said with a white, glistening smile.
“G-good evening!” She replied as she blushed.
“Is Allie here tonight?”
The front desk girl turned to look at me with shock and I quickly moved away from the boss and over to the desk, “Can I help you?” I asked with an irresistible smile that was said to be impossible to ignore.
He pulled out a card from his sports coat pocket and handed it to me, “I am friends with Jimmy. He told me to look you up.”
I slid the card into my jean pocket and smiled towards the man, “One of Jimmy’s friends?” I asked and he nodded before I turned away and looked to the boss. She quickly came over to my side, “I will be leaving for the night, alright? One of Jimmy’s friends is here.”
She nodded and looked up to the man, “If he is a friend of Jimmy’s, he’s a friend of mine.” She agreed before I followed the man out of the store and into the night.
When we left the place he insisted to take me to dinner so I walked next to him while he kept his arm wrapped around my shoulders, “This is a really odd experience to be escorted around town like this.”
I smiled as I placed my hand on his that wrapped around me, “Well you are usually the one showing the girls around town, since you are a host, Jonah.”
He let out a small laugh, “But I have to admit, this is the best time I’ve had in a while.”
I leaned into him slightly, “And the night has just begun.” I replied and he smiled towards me, but we both were startled as a man accidentally bumped into Jonah’s shoulder.
“Oh sorry!” The man said as he turned but I was horrified as Vlad looked to us while Kole stopped at his side.
“It’s cool,” Jonah said with a nod and then pulled me into him some more, “So will my place be okay?”
I let out a laugh, “You’re so smooth, Mr. Host.”
He laughed too, “You know me.”

In the morning I woke up at Jonah’s place at around 5 a.m. so I quietly got up, put on my clothes, wrote a note with my number on it, and left his place. I walked home as quickly as I could and by the time I got there it was 6 and the sun was starting to finally rise. I got into my apartment, took a freezing cold shower, and then got my uniform on. I did most of my homework in the time I had before school started, but I could not seem to bring myself to eat. Something inside me was aching and made me lose focus too easily. When I walked to school I took a little more time than usual and steered clear of the elementary school. My mind was racing during all of my morning classes and when I went to my locker to put my stuff up I was relieved to see Erin and Julie. I spent my lunch laughing and walking around with my friends like I had not done in a while. It felt good to get Marco off of my mind for even just a moment, but when I went to class I was overcome with him. When the bell to signal the end of the school day rang I quickly went to my locker and grabbed my stuff before leaving. As I went outside I stopped when I saw Vlad and Kole standing by the front gate and both of their eyes locked on me. They were here to talk. They were here for an explanation that I couldn’t tell. I quickly tried to go past them but was grabbed by Kole and pulled away from the crowd of people leaving. “What is this about, boys?” I asked with a frown, “I thought I made my intentions very clear the last time we were together.”
“We still have questions.” Kole remarked.
I pulled my arm out of his grip, “If you have questions go ask your father.”
Vlad seemed angry, “But he refuses to talk to us about it! All he has been doing for days is looking up on your past and what you’re doing right now! He’s even stopped working!”
I crossed my arms over my chest, “I did not ask him to do that. Stopping work was his choice so I can’t help you.”
“We know you are keeping something from us and we need to know!”
“What exactly do you want to know?” I asked and they both seemed confused by the question, “If you don’t know what you want to ask me, then stop bothering me. I have work to go to.”
“Are you going to go see that man we say you with last night?”
“Possibly, I’m not sure.”
“Who was that man, Alessia?”
“A friend of a friend,” I mumbled but was distracted when my phone started buzzing in my bag. I quickly got it out, “Hello?”
“Alessia, its Rebecca.”
“Hello Miss Rebecca, how can I help you?”
She sighed, “I know this isn’t really any of my business, but my son told me that Marco was taken away by an ambulance this afternoon and I just thought you should know.”
I started shaking, “Thanks, I gotta go!” I called before closing my phone and starting to run off but stopped when Kole grabbed my arm.
“Where are you going?”
I yanked away from him, “Marco’s in the hospital! I have to go to him!”
“Let me drive you, it will be faster!”
I watched him for a moment, “Let’s go,” I whispered before following Kole to his car and getting in the passenger’s seat. I wrapped my arms around myself as I started to shake while Kole drove quickly towards the hospital.
“Are you cold?”
“Just drive faster,” I retorted and before he could stop the car in front of the hospital I had jumped out and ran towards the door. I threw it open and ran over to the front desk to see Becky stand, “Where’s Marco!” I begged and she seemed scared.
“Room twelve!”
I ran into the hallway behind the desk and stopped when I got to the room marked with 12. I threw open the door to see Marco sitting in the bed as Dr. Andrews wrapped his wrist, “Marco!” I hollered as I ran over and stood beside the doctor.
“Sis, what are you doing here?”
“What happened! Are you okay?” I retorted.
He nodded, “I just sprained my wrist.”
My knees gave out on me as I shook fiercely and finally started to cry. I put my hands over my tear giving eyes, “Oh thank god!” I whispered as heard Kole and Vlad come into the room behind me. I felt something warm wrap around me and I looked up to see the small boy hugging me tightly against him. I pulled him closer as I cried harder, “Don’t scare me like that! When Miss Rebecca called me I thought I would have a heart attack!”
“I’m sorry!”
“Oh god Marco!” I said as I tried to stop crying, “You have to be more careful.”
He looked to me and brushed tears off of my cheeks, “I will be.”
I flicked his forehead, “Stupid shrimp!” I said in a laugh as I stopped crying and then kissed his forehead, “I love you, Kiddo, did you know that?”
He smiled with a nod, “I know.”
I lifted his hand to my vision, “Now what did you do?”
“I fell in gym.”
“Are you taking care of your leg?”
He nodded, “I made sure to follow your directions.”
“Good.”

I sat in the hallway as I listen to my boss yell at me, “Where the hell are you?” She finally asked, “Jimmy’s friend from yesterday have already come three times to ask if you have shown up! He seemed concerned.”
“I’m sorry, boss. It’s my brother. I’m in the hospital right now and he’s getting an x-ray done on his wrist.”
“Oh…” She whispered and then sighed, “I’m sorry, Allie. I didn’t know.”
“It’s fine.”
“Alright, see you tomorrow then.”
I sat in the hall outside of the x-ray room until Dr. Andrews and Marco came out. I quickly stood and hugged Marco before kissing his head, “How’d it go kiddo?” I asked and he looked up to me with a smile.
“I didn’t break anything.”
I looked to Dr. Andrews, “He has a small stress fracture so he will be in a cast for a little while.” I looked back down to Marco who hugged my arm that wrapped around him.
“Don’t you need to get to work, sis?”
I patted his head, “No, my boss is letting me off for today?”
“Alessia,” Dr. Andrews started, “You’re not supposed to keep working.”
“Don’t worry, Doctor, I’m just waitressing right now.”
I looked down the hallway to see Kole and Vlad watching us but I was distracted when my phone rang, “Yea?”
“Where are you right now?”
“I’m going to be a little late today.”
“Why?”
I sighed, “Marco was in the hospital so I’m down there right now.”
“Like I give a damn if that murderer is hurt, get down here.”
I felt rage filling me, “Well I do give a damn what happens to him and if you can’t wait for me to check on Marco then don’t plan on me coming at all.”
He was silent.
“Expect me there in about 30 minutes.” I hung up the phone and Marco watched me, “Sorry about that, kiddo.”
“You have to go?”
I sighed and kneeled in front of him, “Yea, but since tomorrow is Thursday I don’t need to go to work right away so how about I pick you up from school tomorrow and we can go somewhere. Anywhere you like.”
“The park?”
I smiled towards him, “Alright, we’ll go to the park.” I kissed his forehead before standing and smiling towards Dr. Andrews, “I’ll be sure to bring Marco home by dinner.”
“Why don’t you come over and eat with us?”
“I’d love to but I will have to get to work, sorry. Well I’ll see you both tomorrow.” I walked out of the hospital but was stopped when Kole grabbed my arm.
“Let me drive you.”
I smiled, “Alright.” I told him the directions to get to my stepfather’s house but when he stopped in front of the house I was shocked to see my stepfather smoking at his house gate. He came over and opened the door before helping me out.
“Who might these young boys be, Alessia?”
“They’re his kids, Vlad and Kole.”
He smirked, “Well this is a surprise. Why are you with Nicolai’s kids?”
“They offered me a ride.”
“So tell me, how’s that dad of yours doing?” My stepfather asked Kole.
“Good, but how do you know my dad?”
He smiled again, “Your dad and I were good friends a long time ago,” He wrapped his arm around my shoulder, “Deliver you dad a message for me. Tell him I’ll never give my Alessia to him so he should stop bothering us. Also tell him to keep his little boys away from my girl.” My stepfather slammed the car door shut before leading me into his house and kissing me as he shut the door so that both boys saw us.

My stepdad dropped me off at my house and by the time I got into my apartment and in bed I was in tears. I rolled up my leggings to see my ankle was three times its normal size and was turning black and blue. I hobbled on one foot to the small fridge in the room and put some ice into a paper towel before hobbling back to bed. I put the ice on my ankle before falling asleep while ignoring the pain.
I woke up at around noon and felt sick so I checked my temperature and sure enough I had a high fever, but I was so tired I didn’t get up and just went back to sleep. I woke up again when my cell phone rang but went to sleep after a few minutes and did not wake up again until around 8 when someone knocked on my door. I just pulled my blanket over my head and went back to sleep but the banging got louder until I fell back asleep. I kept hearing Marco crying and Angie talking but I was started to see them both in my apartment when I woke up, “Marco?” I asked as I felt my head throb, “What are you doing here?” He ran over and hugged my neck tightly while crying, “What’s the matter?” I looked over to Angie for an explanation.
She kept crying, “Marco came to work asking if I had seen you and when I said I hadn’t he asked me to bring him here. Then we kept banging on the door until the land lady came up and let us inside but when we came in you looked like you were dead!”
I felt cold but looked to Marco when he kissed my cheek, “Just stay still, sis. Dr. Andrews is going to be here soon.”
“Why is the doctor coming?” I asked but looked up when Vlad came running into the room with Dr. Andrews right behind him.
“Alessia!” Dr. Andrews exclaimed as he came over to Marco’s side, “Marco and your friend called me in a panic saying you were dead! Then I get here and your classmate tells me you didn’t go to school, what happened?”
I sat up out of bed and slowly stood but let out a small shriek before dropping to the ground and cradling my ankle as tears fell down my face, “Your ankle!” Marco gasped.
“What happened, Alessia?” Dr. Andrews asked and everyone watched me.
“It’s nothing. I’m fine. I was just tired and didn’t wake up.”
“You’re running a fever!” Marco argued, “You’re burning up!”
I stopped when my phone started ringing and I quickly lunged for it, “Hello?”
“Allie? It’s Jonah. I’ve been trying to reach you all day.”
“Oh! Jonah! I’m sorry, I was at my other job and left my phone at home!” I smiled towards the phone, “What’s up?”
“I just wanted to let you know how much fun I had last time.”
“I’m glad. I have a great time too.”
“When I started thinking about it I suddenly realized I wanted to see you again. Do you think you could meet me tonight?”
I sighed, “I’d love to, Jonah. Truthfully, I would, but I actually already have plans for tonight. How about tomorrow night? I’ll be sure to leave my night open so I can spend all my time with you.”
“Alright, I’ll see you at the club at 6.”
“Sounds good. I’ll see you then.” I hung up the phone but looked up to Angie when she kneeled in front of me.
“Did one of your clients hurt you, Alessia? You’ve had some do this before.”
I shook my head, “No one hurt me. I’m fine.”
“These are obvious wounds from rape, Alessia! Don’t lie to me! I helped you the last time something like this happened!”
“Was it that man who yelled at us last night, Alessia?” Vlad asked but I did not look to him and kept my gaze at the floor.
“What man?” Dr. Andrews asked.
“The one that called Alessia while we were at the hospital. He had jet black hair and hazel eyes.”
“Was it your stepfather?” Dr. Andrews asked and Angie squeezed my arm.
“Jimmy did this?” She asked and when I didn’t look to her she grabbed my face and turned it to her, “Did Jimmy rape you, Alessia? Answer me!”
Tears came down my face and she immediately let go of me. I covered my eyes with my hands, “Tell the boss I won’t be coming tonight,” I whispered before looking to Dr. Andrews, “My ankle is twisted.”
“I’ll fix it.”

I went to school the next day with a splint around my ankle to support me and stayed in a daze all day until Vlad grabbed my arm at lunch, “Come with me.” I quietly followed behind him as we went to the roof of the building, “So that man from the other night, did he rape you?”
I sat down on the roof so I could rest my ankle, “And what if he did?” I asked and he whipped around with shock, “It doesn’t concern you either way.”
“What do you mean, Alessia? I’m your friend so it concerns me.”
I looked to the sky, “We’re not friends,” He watched me, “I refuse to have anything to do with people involved with Nicholi.”
“What has my father done to you that is so wrong, Alessia?”
I felt tears rimming my eyes, “It’s what he didn’t do that I can’t forgive.”
“What do you mean?”
“I could forgive him leaving us, but he didn’t help my mom when she was sick. He had enough money for my mom to be cured of cancer when I didn’t have enough. He could’ve saved my mom but he couldn’t ruin his perfect little lie. He chose his reputation over my mom’s life and for that I will never forgive him.”
“Then you have all right to be mad at my father, but why must you stop seeing my brother? He loves you dearly.”
I looked up to him, “That is something your father will have to explain. I cannot bring myself to do so.”
“Then you won’t see me anymore?”
“Ask your father what relationship he had with my mother and then once your find that out all will be clear.” I stood and walked back to my classroom to talk with Erin and Julie.

When I got to the club I was surprised to see Jonah already there waiting for me, “Hey.”
“Ready?” He asked and I nodded. We left and went to diner. Once we were finished Jonah looked to me, “Hey, what do you think about being my guest tomorrow night? You can come by and I can treat you.”
I smiled, “That’d be nice.” Suddenly my phone rang so I quickly picked it up, “Hello?”
“Alessia, this is Jimmy’s lawyer.”
“What can I do for you?”
He cleared his throat, “Jimmy has just called me from jail to tell me that he was arrested suddenly at his home this afternoon.”
“What!” I gasped and Jonah looked worried.
“I just got a call from a lawyer of a man named Mr. Nicholi that told me Jimmy is going to be charged with rape and child abuse. He also told me to contact you if I wanted any chance of the charges being dropped.”
I felt my legs shaking, “Alright, I will fix this. Goodbye.”
“Is something wrong?”
I quickly stood from my chair and put on my coat, “I’m sorry, Jonah, but I have to go.”
“What? Why?”
I watched him, “Jimmy has been put in jail and I have to find a way to get him out.”
“Let me drive you.” He offered and I accepted so I would not have to walk on my hurt ankle. I directed him to Kole and Vlad’s house but was slightly shocked to see both boys waiting outside. I got out of the car and walked over to Jonah’s window.
I kissed him, “Once I fix this I’ll give you a call.”
He pulled me back to him and kissed me, “Be careful.” He whispered before driving off and I was forced to face the two boys who waited at the house’s gate.
“Dad said you might be coming by soon.” Vlad said as I came close.
I struggled to not yell at him, “Your father did a damn fine job,” I muttered, “Now he’s going to get a run for his money,” I looked to them, “Where is he?”
“In his office,” A man muttered and I looked to the front door as a man in a suit watched me, “You are Alessia I presume?”
“Are you Nicholi’s lawyer?”
He nodded, “Indeed. I was very shocked when Nick confronted me with the assertion that Jimmy had abused and raped you.”
I walked past him, “Stay out of this. The law has nothing to do with Jimmy, Nicholi, and me.”
“The law has something to do with everything.”
I smiled and turned to him and let out a small laugh, “Says the lawyer of a gang member. Funny,” I turned back around, “The law has nothing to do with gangs.” I walked into the house and heard the three men follow me. I went to the office of the house and threw open the door which made my father jump, “Drop your charges against Jimmy.”
He watched me and then slightly smiled, “I assumed you would be pleased that I got you out of that man’s grasp. He may be your ex-step father, but that does not give him the right to rape and abuse you.”
I felt tears welling up in my eyes, “Well at least he was there to try to save my mom!” I hollered, “You were too busy playing house to help her!”
“Playing house?”
I turned and pointed to Vlad and Kole, “You were too busy playing ‘daddy’ to these two boys!”
“That isn’t a very nice thing to say to one of your boyfriends and a classmate.”
I finally started crying, “How could I possibly have anything to do with these boys once I knew they were your sons? That means I had sex with my half brother!” I shivered as I wrapped my arms around myself, “Thinking about what I did makes me sick! I fell in love with my own brother!”
“Brother?” Kole asked as he took a step towards me, “What do you mean?”
I looked to him, “Your father had a mistress for a long time and together with my mom they conceived me. I am your half sister,” I whipped back around to my biological father, “But where were you when mom got sick? I was only twelve with a new born brother, no father, a sick mother, and the only people I had left were you and Jimmy but you didn’t even call!” I wiped some tears off my face, “Jimmy offered to help in return for compensation but I did not take his offer immediately because even if you hadn’t been there for us before I was sure you would at least try to help! I waited for a month for you to call! I waited for you to save me but you were too busy with your real family to help me!” I smiled while still crying, “I actually believed you might care for me and waited for you. I even waited for you to call me when mom passed away, but the minute her casket hit the bottom of that hole I accepted that you were not coming.”
“I wanted to help you, Alessia but…”
I flashed an angry glance his way, “Jimmy may beat me and force me to have sex but at least he was there for me. That is certainly more than I can say about you.”
“Alessia…”
“Have Jimmy out of jail by tomorrow morning.”
“And if I refuse?”
I turned away from him, “You can do so if you want but I have nothing left to lose anymore so I will fight you until I die if you don’t let him out.” I stormed out of the house and immediately went home.

I woke up at ten to a telephone call I did not pick it up but listened to the message once it showed up. It was Nicholi’s lawyer. He said Jimmy got out of jail but midnight and that movers would be coming to get my things at 4 p.m. today. I slept until three before getting ready and waiting for the movers. When they came I helped them box up my stuff before letting them out. I went down to the land lady’s room and left my key and rent for the past month in an envelope that I slipped through her mail slot. I drove my station wagon to get food before heading over to Vlad and Kole’s house at around 7. When I knocked the butler let me in and led me to the dining room to see Kole, Vlad, and Nicholi all were sitting at the table eating, “Please sit down, Alessia.” Nicholi offered and I sat down beside Vlad, “Are you hungry?”
I shook my head, “I already ate with one of my friends.”
“Jonah?”
I looked to him, “No, with a friend of mom’s that owns a diner on the other side of town. Her daughter is a year after Vlad and me in school.”
“I see.”
My attention was diverted when my phone rang, “Hello?”
“Hey there, sweetie!”
“Josh! It’s so good to hear from you! How are you?”
“I’m good honey, but I just wanted to let you know the best man is expecting to get to the church by noon tomorrow.”
“Alright, I will try to get there around noon too. Call me if you need me to come earlier.”
“Ok, by hun!” He called before I hung up.
“Who was that?”
I looked to Vlad, “It was my friend. He’s getting married tomorrow.”
“Oh? He must be excited to be receiving a wife.” Vlad commented and I snorted.
“Josh is the bride.”
“So you are going tomorrow?”
I nodded, “Marco has been looking forward to the wedding since Josh and Chris got engaged a few months back. We’re going with Dr. Andrews.”
“And that is the man I met at your home correct?” He asked and I nodded.
Nicholi stared me down, “Will Jimmy be going?”
I looked to him, “He was supposed to go but I asked him to stay home and rest. He has had a lot going on lately so I convinced him to relax for a few days.”
“Is Jonah going to be there?”
I looked to the space around Kole, but never directly at him, “Yea, he’s going in Jimmy’s place. Chris is the son of a boss that does a lot of dealings with Jimmy so someone has to go.”
“By boss you mean gang boss?” Vlad asked and I looked to him with a nod.
“He is one of many.”
“But why are you associating with gangs?”
I looked to him in surprise, “I have multiple family connections to them. Two of my fathers are part of the mafia so I was raised as one of them.”
“So Jimmy and Marco’s father were gang leaders?”
I gave Kole a deadly glare, “As if that saint of a man could be associated with the mafia.”
“But you’ve only had two stepfathers.”
I nodded but then looked to Nicholi with a smirk, “So your boys don’t know?” I asked and he seemed startled as I turned to Vlad, “I’m surprised you didn’t know you are involved with gangs almost as much as I am.” I stood from my chair and stretched my arms, “If you will excuse me I need to sleep. I have to work tomorrow night so I need to rest up.”
“Alessia!” Nicholi hissed as he shot up from his chair, “I never said you could continue your job at that sex bar!”
I sighed and looked to him, “For one thing it’s not a ‘sex bar’ it is hostess club. And also I may be forced to be near you in order to keep Jimmy safe, but that does not mean I will do your bidding. I am here for Jimmy and you are not my parent so don’t act as if you are.”
“But I am your father!” He spat back.
My gaze turned cold, “My father was Richard Marco Kenneling,” I hissed, “I already told you I do not consider you my father. He is and always will be my father.”
“He wouldn’t want you to work there either.”
I put my hands on my hips, “The minute he rises from the dead and tells me to quit my job I will do so immediately. But otherwise I will keep it,” I turned away, “Besides, I think it’s about time you had a talk with your boys about your real life.” I walked up the stairs and found my room before locking the door from men I didn’t want to see.

I walked downstairs with my hair curled and feet in black stilettos while dressed in a very skimpy black strapless dress with many ruffles below the skirt, a satin ribbon around the waist, and small white flowers flowing down the right side like a stream. I stuck my money, keys, and phone in my small black clutch before going into the living room that was placed behind the dining room. I knocked on the doorway and all three men of the house looked over to me with surprise, “It seems appropriate for me to let the three of you know I am leaving.”
“When will you be back?”
“Tomorrow morning most likely.”
Nicholi stood and stormed over to me, “You’re going to see Jimmy?”
I shook my head, “I’m going to work so I will most likely be going to Jonah’s place.”
“You think I will allow you to go?”
I smiled towards him, “If you patronize I may have to go stay the night with Jimmy.”
“But he will beat you again!” Vlad protested as he ran over.
I looked to him and smiled, “Thank you for your concern, Vlad, but I can handle myself,” I looked away to answer my phone as it rang, “Hello?”
“Sis, we’re almost there!” Marco said joyfully.
I smiled to the phone, “Alright kiddo. I’ll see you soon,” I hung up and looked to Nicholi with a harsh glare, “I want the three of you to officially meet Marco.”
“Your half brother?”
I nodded to Nicholi, “But if you make him upset or cry expect your life to be flipped upside down,” I hissed, “I am fine staying here to keep Jimmy safe but if you upset the most important person in my life your entire operation will crumble.”
He smirked, “As if you have that type of power.”
I grabbed his shirt, “If you cross me and hurt Marco all of the gangs you have made treaties with will come after you. I may be a part of Jimmy’s gang, but I have influence on every single decision any of the bosses make. Even some of your members will go after you because they have dedicated themselves to protecting me.”
“How did you…” He started to holler but I let go of his shirt.
“My job you hate so much has many advantages and stealing the hearts of all my customers is all in the job description. I am called the boss’s princess because I have made every single gang member other than you fall for me and do my bidding.”
The doorbell rang and the butler opened the door, “Miss Alessia, someone has come to see you!” He called and I quickly ran to the front of the house.
“Hey kiddo!” I called as I kneeled and embraced the child. I kissed his forehead as he latched onto me, “How’s your wrist, Marco?”
He looked to me as we let go of each other, “Good! Right, Liam?” I looked up to the doctor as Marco did the same.
“Yea, he’s doing great.”
I smiled as I stood, “Thank you so much for taking such good care of Marco.”
He nodded while returning my smile, “No thanks are necessary. I care about Marco and you so I wish to help both of you as much as possible.”
“Wow, Marco! You look good in a suit!” Kole said with a laugh and I watched as Marco ran over to him for a hug, “How’s it going, buddy?”
“Good!” Marco said as he was picked up by Kole, “You’re the boy who came to check on sister, right?” Marco asked as he looked to Vlad when he walked over to Kole.
“Yea, it’s good to see you again, Marco.”
I walked over and took Marco from Kole’s arms and into mine, “There’s someone I want to introduce you to,” I said as I walked over to Nicholi as he watched from the back of the entry way, “Marco, this is Nicholi.”
“You’re sis’s real daddy, right?” Marco asked in a childish way.
Nicholi nodded before shaking Marco’s small hand, “I have heard a lot about you from Alessia, Marco.”
“Really?” Marco asked and then looked to me, “Are you staying with them?”
I nodded, “I decided I should be around Nicholi since we are related.”
“Alessia,” Dr. Andrews said as he came to my side, “We should get going. Since you’re the maid of honor and Marco is the ring bearer, we should try to get there early.”
“Right,” I replied before smiling towards Nicholi, “Well I will see you guys later.” I then followed Dr. Andrews out of the house and to his car where I sat in the back next to Marco.

I waved like the rest of the crowd as Josh and Chris rode off in their car that said ‘Just Married’ on the bumper. When they were out of sight I walked back inside with Marco on my hip. I placed him on the end of a pew before rolling up his pant leg and looking at his fake leg, “You’ve been following my rules, haven’t you?”
He nodded, “Liam helps me out every day.”
I smiled, “Good,” I rolled his pant leg back down and looked up when Dr. Andrews put his hand on Marco’s head, “Mr. Liam, has Marco had any difficulties with his leg since he came to live with you?”
He shook his head, “He is very adamant about following you instructions every day after school.”
“Good job, kiddo.” I said with a broad smile but looked to my side when a hand was placed on my shoulder.
“Are you ready to go, Allie?”
I nodded, “Marco I gotta go to work, okay?”
“Who might this young man be?” Dr. Andrews asked.
“Jonah Mathews, sir,” Jonah said as he shook Mr. Andrews hand before looking down to Marco, “And you must be Allie’s little brother.”
Marco nodded, “Who are you?”
“Jonah is a business associate of mine.”
“Oh,” Dr. Andrews said, “So you work for the same diner as Alessia?”
He nodded, “Yea, but we really should be going. Have a good day.” Jonah led me outside to his car and when he started driving I watched him.
“Are we going to your host club tonight?”
He smiled but looked at the road while taking my hand in his, “Yea, I want to treat you for once.”
“You look really nice in a tux by the way.”
He laughed, “And you look hotter than any girl I’ve ever seen.”
I squeezed his hand in mine with assurance and gratitude, “I have to thank Josh for picking out such a cute bride’s maid dress for me. He actually designed it for me.”
“Really? I knew he was a designer but I didn’t know he was so good.”
I nodded, “He told me today that he’s planning to make me a whole bunch of different clothes for my birthday. He said he has already started and is getting ideas from Chris.”
“Oh? When is your birthday?”
“December 1st. I told him that he didn’t need to make me clothes but he insisted.”
“Have you known Josh and Chris for a long time?”
I nodded, “Chris was the first person I met outside of our gang and that was when I was about six. I actually was out with Chris when I was ten and was knocked over by a guy running. He apologized profusely to me even though he was standing in front of us with his shirt ripped partially off and had cuts all over his body. I insisted the guy go with us to my house so we could treat his wounds and that day Chris said he would protect Josh since they went to the same school but had never met each other. They started dating in high school and have been together ever since.”
“Wow,” He commented before stopping his car in the parking lot of a club. He came over and helped me out of the car before escorting me inside. When we got inside a very handsome boy smiled to me and Jonah, “Good evening Adam.”
“Hey there, Jonah. Wow! You sure know how to pick up some hot girls!”
I smiled to the boy as I pulled closer to Jonah, “Why thank you.”
“This is Allie. She will be my ‘special guest’ tonight.”
“Jonah!” A deep voice called and I looked over to see a very handsome man in his 30’s walking over to us. He shook Jonah’s hand that did not hold mine, “Oh, is this your guest you told me about that you planned to bring tonight?”
“Allie, this is the owner of this place, Trevor Worthington.”
I shook his hand with a smile, “I have heard a lot about you from my boss Mr. Worthington. It is nice to meet you.”
“Oh? Who is your boss?”
“Annie Smith.”
“Really? A host escorting a hostess, this is unexpected.”
“And Allie isn’t just any hostess. She is Ms. Smith’s princess.”
“Well, well, well! Who would have guessed our Jonah would be seeing the ‘boss’s princess’! It is truly a pleasure to have you at our club tonight.”
“The pleasure is all mine.”
“Well I’ll be damned!” A familiar voice called and I looked over to see Chris’s mom, “How long has it been, Allie?”
I let go of Jonah and hugged the woman, “Too long Jane!”
“What brings you here my dear girl?”
“Jonah has chosen to be my host tonight.”
“Well, Jonah, you should count your blessings to be able to be seen out with Allie. She is in very high demand,” she squeezed my arm slightly; “Well I should be going but be sure to come and visit me sometime, Allie.” I nodded and after she left Jonah led me over to a private room of the club where it was just the two of us.

I left Jonah’s house at about seven and walked back to Nicholi’s home, which took almost two hours. By the time I got there my ankle was killing me so when I came into the house I asked the butler to get me a bag of ice. I went and sat down at the dinner table and put the small plastic bag against my ankle, which I realized was bruising, and did not look from it until I heard someone close the front door, “Welcome home, young master.” The butler said and I was relieved to hear it wasn’t Nicholi. Vlad walked into the room and smiled towards me.
“Welcome home.” I said with a slight smile.
“I should be saying that to you,” He commented as he came over but he seemed worried when he saw my ankle, “Did you walk home?”
I nodded, “I didn’t know I would hurt my ankle.”
He kneeled in front of me and pulled the ice pack away, “We need to call Dr. Andrews.”
I looked to his sad eyes, “Do we have to?”
He sighed, “We don’t have to, but if we don’t my father will throw a fit as soon as he sees you are injured. He may blame it on Jimmy and have him put in jail again.”
“You’re right. I didn’t think about that.”
“He gave me his number when we met before so I will call him,” He dialed the number before putting his phone to his ear and listening, “Hello, Dr. Andrews? This is Vlad. It seems Alessia has made her ankle worse and I was hoping you would come over and take a look at it,” He paused to listen, “Great! We will see you in a few minutes,” Vlad hung up and looked to me, “Let’s get you to a couch.” He let me use him as support so I could get to the living room without using my hurt ankle and helped me sit down.
“Listen, Vlad,” I whispered and he looked to me as he sat at my side, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you that we were siblings when I met your father for the first time. I should have told both of you the truth.”
He shook his head, “If I was in your situation I wouldn’t have told us either.” We both looked up as someone ran into the room to see Dr. Andrews covered in sweat.
“Alessia!” He gasped in a breath and I smiled towards him.
“It’s alright, Dr. Andrews. Please calm down.”
He came over and took my face between his hands, “How can I calm down when I get a call that you hurt yourself more?” He watched me, “Are you in pain?”
I shook my head, “Dr. Andrews, do you enjoy your job?”
He did not look up to me, “For the most part, yes, but not at this very moment.”
I sighed, “I hope Marco will learn that you can live to work,” I looked to the ceiling, “I could only ever teach him that you can work to live and I want him to see that life isn’t always going to be a struggle,” Dr. Andrews stopped examining my ankle to look up to me as I looked back to him, “I think Marco is learning a lot from you and…” I started going on but had to stop when my cell phone rang, “Yea?” I asked as I answered. I listened to one of my gang’s members explain the situation to me before I sighed but nearly growled, “Justin! Stop doubting yourself or Jimmy! Either kill the man or face your consequence of death. I cannot help you get on Jimmy’s good side if you refuse to do your job. Now don’t call me again unless Jimmy tells you to.” I hung up and brushed some of my hair behind my head. My phone went off again, “Yea?”
“Alessia?”
“Jimmy? How are you?”
He sighed, “I’ve been better. Regardless, how are you doing? What is Nicholi like?”
I looked to the doorway, “On land he is a lion, but on sea he is a coward.”
I heard Jimmy smirk, “So he tried to control you like he controls everyone else?”
I smiled, “He tried, but failed in the attempt.”
“What time will you be coming tomorrow for the party?”
I sighed and looked back to my ankle, “I’ll try to get over to your place about an hour before, is that ok?”
He let out a breath, “Sure, I’ll try to have everything set up by then.”
“Alright, I’ll see you tomorrow.” I hung up the phone as Dr. Andrews pulled away from my ankle, “What do you think, Dr. Liam?”
He sighed before looking to me, “Well nothing’s broken, but you’ll have to stay off your foot for a few weeks.”
I nodded, “Okay,” I looked at him with curiosity, “Do you and Marco have anything planned for tomorrow?”
He shook his head, “He asked me if he could come see you tomorrow, as a surprise.”
I smiled, “So he did remember,” I whispered but looked up as someone walked in.
“Remembered what exactly?” Nicholi asked as he came into the room with Kole trailing a few steps behind him and stopped at his father’s side.
“It’s your 17th birthday tomorrow, right Alessia?” Kole asked and I nodded with a smile.
I looked back to Dr. Andrews, “I was sure Marco had forgotten.”
“I’m surprised he never mentioned it.”
I looked to my legs, “He knows I don’t like my birthday to be a large deal.”
“You can come over tomorrow and the three of us can celebrate.” Dr. Andrews suggested with a kind smile.
“I’d love to, but I actually already have plans.”
“Alright, then I will bring Marco over tomorrow afternoon.” Dr. Liam said before kissing me on the forehead and leaving the house.
“Who do you have plans with?” Nicholi demanded as Vlad put an ice pack on my ankle.
“Jimmy insists on throwing me a party,” I replied before pulling three invitations out of my pocket, “He wants the three of you to attend.”
“Why would he want us there?” Nicholi asked.
I shrugged my shoulders, “Most boss families are attending so I guess that’s why.”

In the morning I woke up late, nearly noon, and went downstairs when the doorbell rang. UPS men came into the house and dropped off two large boxes but as they were leaving a FedEx man came up with eight small boxes in his arms. I signed for them all and then shut the door as Nicholi, Vlad, and Kole came to the front of the house from the dining room, “Were you expecting something, dad?” Kole asked as he walked over and kneeled before the boxes as Vlad joined him at his side.
“They’re all addressed to Alessia,” Vlad commented as he looked up to me, “Were you expecting packages?”
I sighed, “The large two are from my friend who just got married. He made me a couple of dresses for my birthday so I expected those, but I did not expect the smaller boxes or for there to be two huge boxes from him.”
“Why don’t you open them?” Kole asked as he handed me his Swiss army knife with the blade already out. I opened the larger boxes first to find four dresses all in my size. The doorbell rang again but when I opened it I was delighted to see Marco with a large grin and a bag in his hands. I bent down and embraced the child tightly to me as he hugged me back.
“You grew since I last saw you?”
He nodded but never let go of me, “Only two inches.”
I let go of him just enough so we were looking face to face, “You’re getting so big.”
“Liam told me about your ankle,” He commented, “Shouldn’t you be resting?”
I smiled, “Have you ever known me to be still?”
He laughed while clutching my shirt in his hands and looked up to the three men watching us before looking back to me, “Could we make our birthday breakfast? I think your brothers would like it.”
I looked up to Nicholi as he eyed Marco, “You think they would enjoy it?”
Marco nodded as I looked back to him, “You’re the best cook ever so they’ll love it.”
“I owe all of my success to my great helper,” I praised before standing and taking his hand in mine, “Let go get started!”

The author's comments:
This chapter is not finished.

When Marco finished I pulled him out of my chair and then used the crutches the butler had brought for me to stand up, “Where are you two going?” Nicholi asked as he took the last bite of his breakfast, “You shouldn’t go outside with those crutches, Alessia.”
I looked down to Marco and brushed some hair out of his face, “C0uld we use your grand piano, Nicholi?”
“Do you play the piano, Alessia?” Nicholi asked and I smiled.
“I can’t play much, but I want Marco to play. He is practicing a new piece.”
“Then yes, you may use it.”
Marco foll0wed me through the house, “Sis, I forgot to tell you! Liam said he’s going to teach me how to play the violin and trumpet! He played them when he was in high school.”
“Really?” I asked as I pulled out the sitting stool from under the piano and he sat down. I put my crutches against the nearest wall and then sat down beside him, “Mr. Liam seems to be a very nice person.” Marco started playing and then smiled up to me.
“Do you recognize it?”
I thought before smiling sadly, “This was mom’s favorite song, wasn’t it?”
He nodded as he continued to play as I hummed along, “You’re not alone, together we stand.” He started singing and I quickly joined in.
“I'll be by your side, you know I'll take your hand,” I wrapped my arm around Marco’s shoulders, “When it gets cold/And it feels like the end/There's no place to go/You know I won't give in/No I won't give in/Keep holding on/'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through/Just stay strong/'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you/There's nothing you could say/Nothing you could do/There's no other way when it comes to the truth/So keep holding on/'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through/So far away/I wish you were here/Before it's too late, this could all disappear/Before the doors close/And it comes to an end/With you by my side I will fight and defend/I'll fight and defend/Yeah, yeah/Keep holding on/'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through/Just stay strong/'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you/There's nothing you could say/Nothing you could do/There's no other way when it comes to the truth/So keep holding on/'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through/Hear me when I say, when I say I believe/Nothing's gonna change, nothing's gonna change destiny/Whatever's meant to be will work out perfectly/Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah/La da da da/La da da da/La da da da da da da da da/Keep holding on/'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through/Just stay strong/'Cause you know I'm here for you, I'm here for you/There's nothing you could say/Nothing you could do/There's no other way when it comes to the truth/So keep holding on/'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through/Keep holding on/Keep holding on/There's nothing you could say/Nothing you could do/There's no other way when it comes to the truth/So keep holding on/'Cause you know we'll make it through, we'll make it through.” We stopped singing and he finished the end of the song before I embraced him tightly in my arms.
“You’re a wonderful musician, Marco.”

Marco left at 6;30 and I came back downstairs at 7 in one of the dresses Josh had made me. It was a red, sequin covered cocktail dress that looked as though triangular pieces had been cut out throughout the entire dress and were replaced with white netting to keep the dress together. I was surprised to see Nicholi, Kole, and Vlad in tuxedos and all waiting by the door. “Well the three of you certainly clean up nicely. But the party doesn’t start for another hour.”
Nicholi frowned towards me, “As if I would allow you to be completely alone with Jimmy. Also, it is not as if you can drive yourself with that injured ankle.”
I nodded as I went in front of Vlad, “You’re tie is crooked,” I stated before adjusting the bow, “Nicholi, all the boss’s will be there tonight,” I stated before looking to him, “As far as I want them to know about us is that due to living problems I decided to move in with a classmate and close friend. Also,” I looked to the ground, “My mom is working abroad and she has no connection to you what so ever other than me being in the same class as Vlad.”
“Jimmy knows about Leona’s death, right?”
I watched Nicholi, “Yes, but we decided a long time ago to stop my mom’s connection to the mafia so as far as anyone other than the three of you, Jimmy, and I, everyone of the mafia world knows my mom has been working abroad for many years now.” I walked outside and led the men to the car waiting outside. It took us about 30 minutes to get to the location of the party and when we got there we were directed to the party area by waiters. As I walked in I was relieved to see Jimmy talking with a waiter and when he turned he smiled towards us.
He quickly came to my side and pulled me against him, “That dress is new, did one of the bosses send it to you?”
I shook my head with a smile, “Josh made me a bunch of dresses for today.”
He laughed, “That man treats you like his daughter,” Jimmy commented before looking to the three men, “I’m surprised you actually invited them, Allie.”
I sighed before pushing some of my hair behind my shoulder, “I know Nicholi wouldn’t agree to me coming if he wasn’t at least invited,” I let go of Jimmy and gestured towards Vlad, “You haven’t met his sons formally yet,” I smiled up to Jimmy, “This is Nicholi’s youngest son, Vlad, who is in my same school grade,” I gestured towards Kole, “And this is Nicholi’s oldest son, Kole, who was a very close friend for a long time.”



Similar books


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This book has 1 comment.


on Aug. 12 2011 at 5:39 pm
sunny.all.day. GOLD, Potomac, Maryland
15 articles 0 photos 69 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you."
— A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)
"writing is a struggle against silence" carlos fuentos
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."

this is really good :) even though its not done yet. There are a few mistakes here and there but the ploy itself is amazing :) one suggestion though; try to use more contractions (i wont, i'll try, can't, etc.) it might make the sentences flow easier :)