Its been you and only you | Teen Ink

Its been you and only you

By LiLoPad, Chicago, Illinois
LiLoPad, Chicago, Illinois

Fear is stupid, so is regrets

Author's note: This story was inspired by true events in my life, problems never really dealt with out loud. So i wrote them down...

“Hello?”
“Hey it’s me,”
“I know stupid,”
“Sure you did…”
I smiled to myself.
“So what do you want?” I asked.
“Oh I’m fine thank you for asking Paul, and how are you today on this fine evening?” she asked.
She had that fine attitude that can only be recognized as my best friend Fabianna.
“Umm good, I guess. You should know I just came from your house,” I said.
As she groaned i laughed at her anger and annoyance with me.
“So what do you want?” I asked.
“I don’t know if I should tell you anymore seeing how rudely you treat people on the phone!”
Fabi had this way of saying things with snooty attitude, one that always made me smile.
“Fabi, I ain’t got time for this,”
“What do you mean you ain’t got time? What you got something better to do?”
I couldn't stop smiling, i swear her voice had a natural way of sounding do full of the Chicago south side ghetto-ness. She's sounded that way ever since we were kids, and it shocked people to hear her speak like that. She didn't look the way she spoke. Fabi had big innocent brown eyes, that went well with her long wavy dark brown almost black hair. She had dimples, just slight ones and she was full of womanly curves. Not that i was attracted to her but she really filled out as we grew up. She looked like the girl next door, but she spoke nothing like one.
“Hanging up now…” I said.
“Okay, okay I’ll tell you, I’ll tell you!!! Gosh, don’t get your batman panties in a bunch.” She said.
"Continue,"
“Okay, so yeah, you know how I’m here with Nancy and Carissa?”
“Uh huh,”
“So we were talking right,”
“Right,”
“Ugh, are you even paying attention to anything I said?”
“YES!”
“Then what’d I just say?” she asked.
“You asked me if I was paying attention to anything you just said,” I said.
“UGH!”
God, how i loved making her annoyed. She hated it, but for some reason she always put up with it.
“Well you did say that didn’t you?” I asked.
“Forget it, I’m just gonna continue,”
“About damn time,” I mumbled loud enough for her to hear.
“I heard that you know?”
She yelled through the phone, as if her normal voice wasn’t loud enough.
“Yeah I know,” I told her.
“What’s that supposed to mean?” she asked.
“It means I wanted you to hear it, now can we move on because my time is precious,”
“Sure it is. Okay so I wanted to ask you if you can do me a favor,”
“And what is this magical favor you want from me?”
Now not to sound like a jerk but i didn't asked her really caring. It’s not that I’m a bad friend it’s just that once you’ve hung out with Fabi for as long as I have, these favors are never really that interesting or worth your time, but I did them anyway because we’re friends and we always got each other’s back.
“Well we were thinking since no one’s doing anything tomorrow, that maybe, just maybe you could help us uhm-- get wasted,”
I stayed quiet for a moment, i had to take in what she had just asked me. Fabi had never asked me anything like this. I mean i know she drank, we've gone to parties together, but she never asked me to get her anything besides the occasional cigarettes and blunts. I didn't really wanna do this favor, if something happened too her i didn't wanna be held responsible. So i had to try and weasel out of this.
“Are you sure you want to risk it, I mean what would your brother think if he knew?” I asked.
“Hey this is my brother were talking about and he won’t know about this. By the time the news reaches his jail cell I’ll be in college far from him,” she said.
I could tell she knew i was trying to stall, her attitude went up a level.
“Why are you getting an attitude, I’m just worried about what your brother might think,”
Fabi’s older brother Joshua is in jail right now for possession of drugs, guns, and other crap. Joshua's leaving really messed her up she became depressed and was very distant from everyone for a while, even me. And then she’d have these moments where she would just sit and stare out into space with a blank expression on her face. It really creeped me out when she did that. But then one day she just stopped being sad and became more rebellious, against me, the rest of her friends, her parents, her older sister and especially her brother when he called. She won’t tell me why and I don’t ask because I know she would hate it if I did.
.“Look, all I asked is for your help but if you’re too much of a wuss to do it then I’ll get someone else to do it. So are you in or out?”
She had a hint of aggression in her tone, the rest was just sadness and pleas. I couldn't bare to hear it so i just sighed and bit my lip.
“Alright you got a deal but your forgetting one important major detail…I’m only 19 not 21 stupid. I can’t get you anything.” I said.
“So what?! I’m only 16 but I have the drinking habit of a girl on her 21st birthday. Just get a hobo from outside the liquor store to buy you some, god do I have to tell you everything?”
"Fabi I don’t know if this is even a good idea. Where are we gonna drink it??” I asked hoping to weasel out of doing this favor.
“Already way ahead of you boy. My house tomorrow at exactly one thirty p.m. same time my mom leaves for work,”
"Yeah, but what about your little brother?” I asked.
"No worries’ boo, I got that covered too. My sister is gonna take him to her house and won’t bring him back till tomorrow,”
"What about your dad?”
I asked knowing that that question was completely not helpful. She just sighed at my futile attempt.
“I doubt it. Unless he decides to come back after six weeks to see his kids then were screwed, but Paul don’t you see the percentage chance of that happening??” “
Fifty- fifty??” I asked.
“Paaaauuul. Please just do me this one favor. Please??!! Ill owe you one, okay? You know I always pay you back with most of the things you want, this time no restrictions ‘kay?” I sighed heavily and groaned.
“Ugh, fine!! But you owe me big time alright?” I said.
I had run out of ideas on how to get out of it, i just had to give in. Thus made her very happy.
“OH MY GOD!!! THANK YOU, THANK YOU PAUL!!! TRUST ME YOU WON’T REGRET THIS AT ALL!! ZERO PERCENT REGRET!!”
“Okay Fabi I got it. I got you,” I said.
“See ya tomorrow girlfriend!!” I joked.
“Okay see you tomorrow boo,” she said hanging up.
Like I said doing favor’s for Fabi were never interesting. Well not before this favor.
.............................................................................

The next day came around and I did Fabi her favor. Like she said I asked a hobo on the street to buy me and my friend Adrian some Brandy. I told him that if he did he would get ten dollars from me and keep the change from the brandy. He eagerly said yeah and left. He came back a little while after with the strongest type of brandy there was in the liquor store. I looked at him in disbelief and then back at the bottle and then back at him. He just winked, counted his money and walked away.
“Good luck digesting that s*** boys,” he said.
Adrian started bugging me about whether or not Fabi and the other girls would want to drink this because as me and Adrian knew this stuff tasted like crap.
“Don’t trip, like she said she has the drinking habit of a girl on her 21st birthday. Of course she’s gonna drink it.”
“Yeah, but she’ll regret it.”
At that point I didn’t know how right he was about that.
.………………………………………………………………………

When we finally arrived to Fabi's house, she and her friend Nancy were the only one’s waiting outside for us.
“Where’s everyone else?” I asked.
Fabi started to untie her wavy hair from its scrunchie and letting it fall loosely over and past her shoulders.
"Carissa has the flu and Bibi and Cesar wussed out so it just us,” she said.
“Umm okay I guess,” I said.
The light was dim and the house was quiet. Fabi knew that dim light bothered me but she said that that’s how she it is all the time. Her parents leave every morning and don’t tell her where they’re going. So she just sits in the dark thinking and texting me most of the time. It’s kinda sad how lonely she is and I pity her but not to her face because she will kick my ass if I told her that. I admired her for that. Her innocent looks but the strong attitude she hides behind those big brown eyes, also the fact that she just seems to get “it”. She’s not dumb and doesn’t question the obvious.
“And where’s your girl?” Nancy asked.
“Oh, she’s grounded for another week you know that,” I said.
I suddenly started thinking about about Tabitha, my girlfriend. She ditched school a bunch of times and her mom berly caught her and decided to punish her for the first time ever.
“Man Paul, i think you should date someone your own age or at least someone mature. Cause let’s face it, your girlfriend is crazy as hell. I mean what’s up with that whole cat act?”
“Adrian stop it!” Fabi said.
I would normally be happy but with Fabi you shouldn’t expect much to soon.
.“I’m sure Paul has his reasons for going out with a girl that thinks she's part kitty cat, huh Paul. Although, I'm very concerned, if you guys move in together you're gunna have to buy a lot of stuff. A litter box, a new bowl, oohh and maybe some fun cat toys!”
They burst out laughing at Fabi's joke. I knew she would makefun of Tabitha, seeing as they never really got along. Tabitha was jealous because apparently Fabi was to pretty to be just my friend, i told Fabi this and that made matters even worse. Fabi got very angry and cursed Tabitha out, she hated it even people assumed more about us.
“Ha ha, very funny. Now can we get our drink on?”
“Yeah man. Why in such a hurry?” Fabi asked.
“None really. It’s just my parents said that I got to get a job and move out already. So that’s what I plan to do the rest of today.” I said.
“Today? But your gonna be drunk off your ass. You can’t go to no high maintenance job when you just supplied two underage alcoholics with alcohol,” Fabi said pouring the drinks.
“Umm excuse you. What do you mean two alcoholics? I am mot an alcoholic,” Nancy asked.
“That’s what you think,” I mumbled under my breath.
Fabi and Adrian burst out in laughter.
“Screw you Paul! Look who’s talking, a grown ass man hanging out with a bunch of immature 16 year olds!” Nancy snapped at me.
“Who you callin’ immature? At least I’m emotionally stable and I don’t cut myself whenever some dead beat guy I like doesn’t look at me when I pass by!” Fabi told Nancy.
“OKAY!! ENOUGH GIRLS! C’mon let’s get this started because like I told Fabi yesterday my-“
“TIME IS PRECIOUS! Okay, we got it the first time Paul,” she said.
I nodded and we started drinking. I placed me and Adrian between Fabi and Nancy because they looked like they were ready to rip each other into pieces. After a while of no talking, I finally decided to speak.
“Hey Adrian I bet Nancy can hold her liquor better that Fabi,”
“Like hell she can,” Fabi said.
She stared at me giving me the evil eye and then reached for the bottle. After she finished pouring Nancy reached for the bottle.
“Well so do I,” Nancy
“Please, you're gonna be slurrin’ your words after two drinks! While I, like always, will be as perfect as ever,” Fabi said.
“We’ll just see about that,” Nancy mumbled.
Me and Adrian smiled at each other. We loved watching these two argue to impress us, they loved fighting our approval. As they fought me and Adrian just drank some more brandy and enjoyed the show.
…………………………………………………………………………

After about ten or thirteen drinks things started to get a little fuzzy. I remember Fabi and Nancy yelling their slurred words at each other. I don’t remember how it started but all I know was they were at each other’s throats.
“Like hell your better than me!"
“Puh-leese Fabianna. You think you so big and bad but-“
“Nah I leave the big part to you. Nothing big on me but this ass!” Fabi said
As she said that to Nancy she was twirling her hips round and around. I couldn’t help but look. I never realized how--how beautiful Fabi’s body was.
“Shut up!! You wanna go?!” Nancy asked.
“Come at me then," Fabi said.
They started yelling incoherent insults to each other as Fabi took off her jewelry. So once they got face to face I decided to step in.
“WOAH! Girls stop this now!” I said.
A dizzy spell came over me as I stood up but I still stood. I put my arm around Fabi’s waist and pulled her away, over to the living room. I told Adrian to control Nancy as I left with Fabi. I sat her on the couch.
“Paul I think I’m drunk,” she said.
I laughed.
“We all are. That’s what alcohol does to you,” .
She lay back on the couch, she looked awfully sleepy.
“I shouldn’t have done this Paul. You know I don’t really wanna kill Nancy right?”
I sat next to her on the couch.
“Of course I know that,” i said.
Them like perfect timing Adrian called us from the kitchen.
“Umm you guys? I think Nancy’s dead over here,"
I knew he was kidding, she must've just fallen our something.
“GOOD!” Fabi yelled back.
I gave her a confused looked.
“Ignore that comment,” She said.
I just laughed and sat back with her. I patted her thigh in comfort but I didn’t take it off, I just left it there. I heard her groan softly and I snatched my hand away. I turned to look at her and saw that she was dozing off. I shook her softly, hangovers are a b**** and that's the last thing Fabi needed to feel right more.
“Fabi wake up,"
“Hmm…why?” she asked.
“Cause your head is gonna hurt a crap load once you wake up,” I said
I placed my hand on her thigh again and moved it gently to keep her awake.
.“Aww your so nice, but don’t worry about me I’ll be fine,” she said
Finally she let her head droop on my shoulder.
“No Fabi, I mean it. Wake up!”
“Hmm…” she groaned.
“Ugh,” I sighed and just laid back.
I snuggled up close to her and just watched her sleep. She looked very peaceful. I started to notice things about her face that I never noticed before. Like how her eyelashes were really long and thick, and how pink and soft her skin actually was. I rubbed my check against hers just to feel its warm softness. Then I caught view of her lips and how pink and thick they were. They were just so interesting at that moment; I couldn’t help myself any longer. So I did what any sane drunk man would do-- I kissed her...

As I kissed her I never stopped once to think about how much I was hurting Tabitha or how much she would hate me. I just didn’t care. My attention was pointed towards Fabi and how amazing she made me feel. I felt my heart pounding against my shirt and the blood rushing all through my body making more energy for me to kiss her. I couldn’t believe I was doing this. I couldn’t believe I was doing this with Fabi, Fabi of all people! My best friend. I knew it was wrong, but why did it feel right then? I couldn’t explain it, and the more I tried to rationalize it the more frustrated I got and Fabi sensed it. She got uncomfortable and stopped. She looked at me softly in the eyes.
“Are you alright?” She asked.
I nodded.
“Yeah, yeah I’m fine girl,”
I stroked her hair as she looked at her hands. She wouldn’t meet my gaze for some reason-- wondered what was wrong. Maybe she felt guilty; maybe she wanted me off her. What if I disgusted her because I didn’t show any guilt towards Tabitha? So in one questioned I summed it up.
“Do you want me to stop?” I asked.
That question sure surprised her because she jerked her head up fast.
“No.”
With that I kissed her all over again. What was wrong with me? How come I didn’t feel guilty about it like I should have? Was I a horrible person? Was I monster for what I was doing to Tabitha? I was violating my relationship, my friendship and Tabitha’s trust in me… After calling myself a monster over and over again in my head I instantly stopped. I wasn’t thinking about what I was doing to Tabitha anymore, but I was doing to Fabi. Was I confusing her? I instantly felt the regret but none of it was for Tabitha.
"Fabi, I’m so sorry. I’m so so so sorry if I confused you. I never meant to do this to you. You’re my friend and that’s it. I’m so sorry. Please, please, please find it in your heart to forgive me,” i said.
She took my right hand in both of her’s.
“Shhh…. It’s not your fault Paul. Of course I forgive you,”
I smiled.
“Oh Fabi your too nice. You should be kicking me in the head, punching me in the stomach, busting my nuts or something…why are you forgiving me instead of beating me up?”
“I don’t really know Paul. I guess it’s because I can never really hurt you. We’ve been through so much and you’ve helped me out a lot, I find it impossible to hurt you,”
“Fabi, Fabi, Fabi. You find it so hard to hurt me but look now I’ve gone and hurt you,”
“You didn’t hurt me Paul,” Fabi insisted.
“Yes I did. I’ve hurt our friendship and that’s the same as hurting you,”
“Paul those are two different things I-“
“No Fabi, it’s the same,”
“We’ll get through this Paul we always do. You always think of some smart ass plan to fix things,” she said.
I smiled, and like clockwork I thought of a brilliant plan.
“Fabi imma hook you up!” I exclaimed.
“Your gonna do what now?!” she asked.
“Yeah, it all makes sense. I think i kissed you because I sensed how lonely you’ve been since David and you broke up,” I explained.
“Oh yeah thanks for reminding me,” she mumbled sarcastically.
“Anyway, i think if I hook you up with someone I know that won’t have the guts to hurt you I’ll be relaxed and this won’t ever happen again right?”
"Umm yeah, i guess,” she said hesitantly.
“C’mon Fabi trust me. This plan will work I promise you,” I said.
“Fine,” she groaned but accepted.
“Great imma go home and make some calls,” I said
Already heading out the door, Fabi’s concerned voice stopped me cold.
“Paul, could you please stay? I don’t really want to be alone right now.”
“I don’t think that will be such a good idea Fabi. I mean after what happened and all,”
She stayed quiet and I began to feel a pain down in my stomach. So I added a lie just to lighten the mood.
“Plus I told Adrian ill meet him later at my house,”
“I don’t remember you telling him that,” she said suspiciously.
“You were pretty drunk,” I said.
She just sighed and said “Oh okay, call me later yeah?”
"Of course,” I said opening the door.
I turned back to look at her gazing down at the floor. So I ran to her and hugged her tightly in my arms. I kissed the top of her head and said “Don’t worry Fabi, after I do this we both won’t regret anything and we’ll go back to our old usual crazy ass selves. Okay?”
She nodded and I turned to leave.