Come Down | Teen Ink

Come Down

By Jade archuleta, aurora, Colorado
Jade archuleta, Aurora, Colorado

Sunday, December 31st, 2011
As I looked through my closet for something to wear, I found a simple dress that fell to my knees and showed a respectable amount of skin. I held it up to Halley, who just sh0ok her head. "God, Ella. Don't you own anything sexy?" I rolled my eyes and shook her off as she tried to hand me something skimpy. “Come on, it’s just one night.” I sighed at her. “What if we get caught? We’re underage, Halley.” She shook her head at me and put her hands on her hips. “You’re totally not going to kill my fun tonight, are you? Because I will be sure to invite Mitchel over here if you do.” I quickly decided that going to this party with her was much better than listening to her and Mitchel go at it all night. “Alright, alright, I’ll go. Just pick something a little bit more conservative, Halley.” In less than an hour, she had me outfitted and ready to go. I was in a formfitting red dress that had the bodice defined in black stripes. My hair was straightened and my makeup was gold shimmery eye shadow with a thick line of black eyeliner. "See, you look hot!" Halley said and I glared at her. "And nothing like myself." She shrugged as if it didn't matter and led me to her car, a beat up nineteen-ninety-seven Mitsubishi Eclipse. I hopped in the passenger seat and looked at the streetlights as we passed them. It was only about a four minute car ride because the frat house was still part of the campus, but it was way too far to walk in heels.

I got out first and surveyed the scene in front of me. There was four floors of full blown partying going on. The first floor seemed to be the wildest as Halley and I stepped onto the dance floor. She was immediately swept up into the arms of her boyfriend, Mitchel. "Hey Mitch." I said halfheartedly and he nodded at me. "Well don't you look nice." He said, his tone light and airy. "You don't look so bad yourself." I added and he smiled, tucking Halley under his arm and kissing her head. I wandered into the kitchen and opened the fridge, finding it stocked with beer. I grabbed three and gave one to Mitchel and one to Halley. I popped mine open and took a sip, I might as well get the full frat experience. Halley eyed me suspiciously before leading Mitchel off to the dance floor.

I propped myself up on the counter and watched as people passed in and out of the kitchen for drinks and small chit chat. One guy caught my eye specifically because I knew I wouldn't like him before he even opened his mouth. He walked with a cocky arrogance that immediately made me think that he was used to getting what he wanted when he wanted it. He walked over to the fridge, opened the freezer, and pulled out a bottle of cranberry vodka. "Want some?" He asked and I shook my head. He gave me what I assumed was his most charming smile and tipped the bottle towards me. "Here." He said and I grabbed the neck of the bottle. I turned my nose up indignantly and took a gulp, the burn barely even fazing me. I handed it back to him and he gave me a skeptical smile. “Hearts, doesn’t it.” I rolled my eyes. “Nope.” He stared at me for a minute before putting the bottle back in the chiller and sitting himself up next to me on the counter. “I heard there was a beautiful girl in the kitchen not dancing with anyone.” I shook my head, taking a sip of my beer. “Yeah and who would that be?” I asked, pointing to two twins who looked like they had some surgery done to enhance their breasts. “The Barbie twins?” He laughed and they looked at him, coming over and pawing at his shirt. “Hi Harry.” They said in unison in a baby like voice. I rolled my eyes and hopped off the counter, wincing when my heels dug into the back of my feet. I walked out, holding my beer tightly in my hand. I heard someone stumbling behind me and I looked back to see Harry. I dashed up the stairs to the second floor, which was considerably less packed than the first. I went to the furthest corner from the stairs and watched as he stumbled up the steps. He looked around before zeroing in on me and picking his way through the crowd to get to me. I looked at the ground and watched as his beat up white sneakers entered my vision.

“You’re not very hard to catch.” “You’re not really hard to get away from.” I shot back and he smiled. He saw my stubborn demeanor as a challenge instead of a wall intended to keep him out. He only smiled at me and wrapped his arm around my waist. “Come dance with me.” He said and I tried to struggle but he was far stronger than me. I was thinking about kicking him in the shin but decided against it. He wouldn’t try anything pervish in front of everyone. He might be known as the schools biggest jerk, but there was no way I was going to be another name he could add to his list of girls. He bowed and extended his hand to me. I crossed my arms over my chest and shook my head. “No.” He grinned even wider and put his hands on my waist, pulling me to his chest. I stared up at him and he leaned down to kiss me when my hand flew up and hit him right across the cheek. He looked stunned and took a step back. His features set into a grin and he regarded me like a prize that had yet to be won. “I’ll see you at the countdown.” He said quietly, his words only carrying to me. I looked around after he retreated and saw all of the girls looking at me with a mix of shock and envy on their faces. I receded back to my corner and finished my bottle in peace, placing it by my feet and walking to the second floors kitchen to get another one.

After I had downed about three more, I started to feel a slight buzz. I was back on the first floor looking for Halley when I saw Harry talking to Mitchel. I walked up to them and very deliberately turned and gave Mitchel my full attention. “Where’d Halley go?” I asked politely and he jerked his thumb back to indicate she was in the bathroom and I turned back to Harry. “Countdown.” He reminded me and I saw the faint outline of my hand on his cheek. I smiled at him and walked into the bathroom, searching for Halley. I heard her humming before I saw her. She was reapplying her makeup, trying to make herself beautiful. The sad part is that she already was. With pale blonde hair and bright blue eyes, high cheekbones, pink lips, tall frame, and skinny with tan skin, she was everything America looked for in a model. Me on the other hand, I was pale and short with curly light brown hair, dull brown eyes, and I had freckles everywhere. Not to mention the full lips. I hated them. I wished I had a cupid’s bow so many times it wasn’t even funny.

She eyed me from her position in the mirror and rolled her eyes. “How does your makeup stay so perfect all the time?” I shrugged. “Like yours doesn’t.” She let out an exasperated huff and went back to putting on mascara. “Why is Harry so excited about you?” She asked as she dabbed at her lip gloss. I shrugged. “I don’t know. I slapped him and he still seems all happy to see me.” She laughed and capped her tube of gloss. “You slapped Harry?” I nodded, looking at my black shoes. “You-of all people-slapped Harry?” I glared at her. “He was in my bubble.” I grumbled. “So you slapped him? Ella, you’re in college. I hate to pop your virginal bubble, but guys are going to get in your personal space. Might as well let Harry do it.” My mouth dropped into the shape of an ‘o’ and she laughed harder, sticking the mascara and lip gloss back in her bra. “I’m kidding, I’m kidding!” She said when I went to bat her arm away. She looped it through mine again and led me out to where Mitchel was standing with Harry still. “Ah, my beautiful.” Mitchel said, taking Halley under his arm and kissing her cheek. Harry made a mocking face that made me laugh and I instantly regretted it. The satisfaction spread across his face like a wild fire.

I scowled at the ground and walked to the kitchen before I stopped short. Why was I making such a big deal out of him? Plenty of guys were just like him and I didn’t act this snobbish with them. I decided it must have been the way he thought he had the right to touch me that bothered me the most. I grabbed another beer, downed half of it, and filled it back up with cranberry vodka. It tasted a lot like dirt, but I needed something to make me loosen up. I walked back over to where Harry, Mitchel, and Halley were standing and I made a point of standing between Mitchel and Harry. Harry kept shooting me knowing glances and I realized what time it was. It was two minutes to midnight and everyone was staring at the clock. When it hit one minute, everyone started chanting numbers. The vodka did its job and made me forget my troubles and I started to count down too, a smile lighting up my face.

Five.
Everyone was getting close and grouping together. Some people were staring at eachother lovingly while others were already kissing.

Four.
I felt a hand wrap around mine and squeeze. I looked down to see a tan hand intertwined with mine and I squeezed back to make sure it was really there.

Three.
I looked up to see Harry smiling down at me, not a hint of arrogance of cockiness on his face. I smiled at him and he smiled back.

Two.
He leaned down and placed his lips just above mine and looked me deep in the eyes, giving me exactly pone second to figure out what I wanted to do.

One.
I kissed him back.

Monday January 1st, 2012
I opened my eyes and stared at him for a moment before he released my hand and looked away. I felt strangely let down as he walked away but I kept on smiling. It was a new year full of new beginnings for me and I wasn't about to let some douche with really pretty eyes ruin it for me. I turned towards the kitchen and opened the freezer with a resolute jerk. The cold air washed over my skin and I felt the goose bumps rise over my shoulders. Grabbing the vodka, I took a swig of it, my teeth going numb after a minute. I put it back carefully, noticing how my finger prints had indented themselves in the frost outlining the bottle. I turned away and saw Harry standing at the edge of the kitchen. “Stealing my vodka I see.” I stormed past him and walked out on the dance floor. “Oh come on, Dove.” He said as I walked to the stairs and climbed up them as fast as I could. I just wanted to get away from him. We kissed, he could leave now.

“Oh my god.” He said, grabbing my arm and turning me to face him. Our faces were two inches apart and he was staring into my eyes with such intensity that I forgot why I was so mad. We stood there like that for a minute before he let go of my arms and put them on either side of my face. He didn’t move his lips any closer to mine but I wanted them to be. Oh how I wanted them to be on mine. I leaned in a little and he smashed his lips onto mine. We stood there like that for a while, just kissing on the stairway until he pulled away. I didn’t know my hands had intertwined in his shirt until his lips were off of mine. He grinned down at me and looked at his watch. “I’ll catch you later, Dove.” I watched him walked away and out the door without another word.

“Come on, Ella!” I heard Halley screaming at me. The headache I had easily gone from a three to a ten as her voice went up an octave. “Ella!” I groaned and shuffled out of bed. “Okay, okay, keep it down.” She grinned at me from the bathroom and I walked over to my closet. I picked out a pink tee and a pair of black high-waisted shorts. Halley threw me my makeup bag and I sat down at my vanity to apply my foundation, mascara, and thin layer of eyeliner. “I don’t even know why you wear makeup. You’re beautiful without the stuff.” Halley said smiling at me. I waved her off and brushed out my long dark brown hair. Halley walked by in a similar outfit to mine, blue high-waisted shorts and a black tank top. “Really Halley?” She shrugged. “We look cute. Shut up.”

Mitchel pulled up to our dorm just as we stepped out of the apartment, getting out and swinging Halley around before kissing her square on the lips. I rolled my eyes at the two and started to walk to my morning class. “You sure you don’t want a ride, Ella?” Mitch asked me from his spot in the driver’s side. I nodded with a smile and waved them off. I walked into the Expo building with a smile on my face. I loved my classes today. I had Biology and Calculus, which were my two favorite subjects. I wasn’t much of a writing person.

I stepped into the Bio auditorium and pulled out my laptop, ready to take notes for the day. It was only for days that we took notes that we used the auditorium; usually we were doing experiments in the labs. Someone plopped down in the seat next to me and put their arm around my shoulders. "Nice to see you again, Dove." The familiar voice sounded and I held back a smile. "What are you doing? Are you even in this class?" He smiled down at his lap. "I'm enrolled in it but I took this last semester so he's going to give me an A. I'm usually here for help when he needs it." I thought back to all the times Professor Hallow had called on the same person to help him and realized that he was right. "Well then." I said, injecting a bit of sass into my voice. He laughed and Mr. Hallow glared at him. "Really Mr. Styles?" Harry smiled at him and gave him a thumbs up.

"So who can name which element has the most amount of isotopes?" I rolled my eyes, knowing how easy the answer was. I had learned this in the eighth grade. "Hydrogen?" someone answered from the back and Professor Hallow shook his head. "That has the least amount with two stable ones, protium and deuterium, and one radioactive one, tritium." I smiled at my screen and Professor Hallow looked at me. "Do you have an answer, Miss Leeds?" I smiled at him. "Its a trick question; there's two. Xenon which has nine stable isotopes and twenty seven radioactive isotopes; and cesium, with one stable isotope and thirty five radioactive isotopes." Professor Hallow looked at me with satisfaction and smiled. "Correct." "You better write that down, I'm totally going to need that for job applications." I rolled my eyes and listened as Professor Hallow explained the rest of out lesson.

As I walked out of Professor Hallow's class, Harry followed me. I had an off for two hours and I had no idea what to do with my time. "Want to grab some lunch?" I looked at him for a minute and he just kept smiling at me. "Sure." He grinned and pulled out his phone, texting someone before looking back up at me. "Where do you want to go?" I shrugged. "I've lived here for like two months, pick somewhere." He thought for a minute before walking in front of me. I followed him and he stopped at a manly looking truck. “This-“ I said pointing to the shiny black car that was about one and a half times taller than me. “-Is your car?” “It’s a truck.” He corrected me and I shrugged. “It’s huge!” I said when he told me to get in. He smirked and retorted, “That’s what she said.” I glared at him as he popped pen the cab door for me. “Let’s go, Dove.” He said and I debated for a minute before hoisting myself up and sitting down in the huge seats. Harry reached across my middle and shut the door for me. “Where are we going?” He smiled a shy smile and backed out of the parking space. “It’s a surprise."