A lost heart and a gained soul | Teen Ink

A lost heart and a gained soul

By hersheys@25, somewhere, Virginia
hersheys@25, Somewhere, Virginia

shoot for the moon
even if you miss
you'll land among the stars!

Author's note: This is based on a true story, me and my best friends. Life can be unfair, but life is what we make of it.

That's the end. Its a short story! I hope you like it. Feels nice to share a part of your life sometimes!

It was a bright sunny morning and a nice day to begin first day of school. Jane walked into the school campus as she met a friend Jack. Both Jack and Jane had applied for the school together, so they knew each other. Talking merrily they made their way to their kindergarten class.
As the first week went on, one day Jack called Jane close and said "Hey Jane, look there at that girl in the red frock." Jane looked at the girl and back at Jack confused. "Isn't she cute? I think you should talk to her." finished Jack. Jane smiled and hit Jack on the back saying "Ah! You like her don't you." Saying this she walked upto the red dress girl and introduced herself - "Hi, My name is Jane. I am new here." And girl replied "Oh Hello, I am Violet. I am new too."
And from then on Jane and Violet became good friends. Jane introduced her to Jack who was overwhelmed with joy and thanked Jane a million times. The three of them spent time before, at and after school.
As the year came to an end Jane's dad got a transfer to the city and so she had to leave her friends behind and go. It was hard at the beginning but they didn't lose touch. Every vacation Jane made it a point to visit Jack and Violet. On the other hand Jack and Violet fell in love as they loved Jane the same.
Life went on as years passed by. One vacation, when Jane had come over she was really disturbed about something.
"What is bothering you Jane, come on tell us." asked Jack.
"Hm.... well it's this boy in my class. You see I shifted to a new school this year and I made friends with a boy named Nick. I met him at this ceremony thing when he was seated right beside me. I so want to talk to him." said Jane.
"Ha! So Jane likes someone. Nice, why don't you make a good friendship with him." said Violet when Jack added "How can she? She likes him and wants to be with him and not friends Violet."
When Jane returned she tried making conversations with Nick as much as possible. Seventh grade passed and eighth swept in. It was this year Nick confessed to Jane what he had for her and she did the same. And when she came for the eighth grade holidays,
"Oh my god, he loves me and he told me that. He is so cute and sweet and caring.... “Went on and on Jane. Jack and Violet smiled as they were really happy for their best friend. The holidays ended and ninth grade began. The first few months went smooth until July last week; Jack met with a serious accident and was admitted in the hospital. "Jane Oh! Jane he is bleeding, what do I do? Please nothing should happen to him." cried Violet on the phone.
"Calm down Violet, nothing will happen to him. I promise" said Jane giving a word. Violet calmed down immediately as whenever Jane gave a word to anyone on anything, she never ever broke it. People could close their eyes and tell that they were sure she wouldn't. So Violet taking that chance got better.
But Jack started to get worse." Jane, it is not helping. Jane he is getting worse by the minute. The doctor said that the blood loss was too much for a fourteen year old boy. He...he" stammered Violet. "It's alright. He what Violet? Asked Jane soothingly. Violet burst out "He is in coma. I can't....This can't be happening. I... I can't be without him" cried hard Violet.
Jane managed to hold herself and help Violet, but at the same time she cried for hours together at home. Jack was her best friend too. Another piece of her heart, and she just couldn't take what was happening to him. 'If only I could tell Nick." she thought. But she was scared he might not like the fact of her being so attached to another guy. Somehow she made her mind to tell him the next day at school.
"Hey Nick. There's something I really need to tell ....." as Jane was speaking to Nick, a girl from the back came and interrupted saying "Nick! I seriously need to tell you something. It's really important."
"Sure. Coming" said Nick following her out of the classroom leaving poor Jane right there. Jane forgot the idea of ever telling Nick as she saw him finding no time for her while spending all his time trying to solve his new best friends complicated life.
As Jane went home she called Violet, hearing her to be a little balanced she told her, "I don't know why, now a day’s Nick hardly even talks tI know he is just trying to help his friend but I just can't tell him what I feel inside."
Violet replied "I think you should have an open conversation with him. Tell him that you need more time with him, He'll understand. That is if he loves you really he will."
"What do you mean 'If he really loves you'? He does okay. What do you know?"
Violet charged right back "Then he should have seen you and realized that you were sad and you needed him. Or I think maybe you aren't even sad. No wonder he didn't notice."
"No. That's not true. I do really feel sad. Violet, please believe me." cried Jane.
"Who believes liars? And who talks to them!" saying this she cut the phone. Jane couldn't take it. She didn't really know what was happening. She knew two things for sure, one she did care a lot for Jack and two she knew Nick did love her. When she was just sitting online, trying to get her mind off things, Nick popped up saying
"Hi. What's up? Not talking much these days?"
Jane replied "Hey. I am not talking? Or is it you? You are the one behind people, helping them. You don't even give me a chance to talk."
"Oh great! Now just blame me."
And from that day Jane had a tough time with both Nick and Violet, every time she spoke, they had a terrible fight. As for Jack, he was still in the most tragedy state.
One day, another serious chat fight began between Jane and Nick, it went on and on until
"That’s it. I can't take it anymore. Bye" said Nick.
Jane was shocked. She called him and asked him if he was serious but he said that he wasn't.
But that night chat he said,
"I mean it. See I'm sorry but we could be really good friends."
"Best friends?" asked Jane crying.
"I don't know. Just friends." said Nick.
"But...how....why are you suddenly doing this? I thought you said... I mean what... I still love you." said Jane.
"I am really sorry but I don’t. I mean you are nice, I like you a lot. But love I don't think so."
And life couldn't have gotten anymore worse for Jane. One of her best friend's in coma, the other thinks she is a liar with no heart and the one she loved doesn't love her anymore.
Just when all this was going on Jack gained consciousness.
"Hey Jane. How are you?" he asked.
Hearing his voice so much better made Jane happy but yet sad.
"Oh Jack! My heart and soul both are dead." She told him all that had happened. Jack made Violet apologize. He tried his best to make Jane feel better but nothing seemed to work. Her continuous crying really hit him hard. "Oh my dear Jane, it's okay. Maybe he wasn't the one." But that just made her worse.
One morning when she just casually checked her mail, he had gotten two emails from Nick. She opened them,
I am really sorry. It’s just that those fights and how you were feeling all went over my head. I really do love you still. It is silly for me to ask you this but
Will you be mine? I promise to never let you down; I’ll do whatever you say. Anything but please.
Jane didn't know why, maybe it was because she wasn't over him yet she accepted and then it was smooth with her and Nick. But when she told Jack and Violet they got real mad. "He broke you're heart. How can you just believe him?" shouted Violet while Jack calmly said "Jane, you aren’t over him yet okay? Just think, there is no need for it now, what if he does the same."
Jane said "But I know he does. Jack? Have you ever doubted Violet? Jack got angry and shouted “I am trying to help you and dare to compare me and Violet to that stupid guy of yours. Does whatever you want, spoil your life? But one thing,remember at the end we still do care for you. Hope you realize that one day when you are out of your fantasy." and he cut the phone.
Jane called Nick immediately and told him. She cried and cried but Nick comforted her in every way he could. Jane and Jack kept having bad conversations until one day he was calm, he said
"Jane, my mom found a job in USA. I’m shifting there in two three weeks."
Jane was motionless "But....but so fast. Violet?....Me?.....I...I.." She stopped talking. After a minute of silence Jack said "I am sorry Jane. I never meant to hurt you. Take care okay. I know you will be fine now that you have Nick all by your side. Cheer up."
Jane called Violet and asked whether she was fine, she surely wouldn’t be but still. But it looked like not just Jack shifting bothered her but something more did though Jane could never find out.
On the night before Jack left he decided to spend time with Violet but so unfortunately Jane couldn’t make it from her place all the way to Jack. After he left Jane called Violet who was really terrible.
"Violet is there something that is bothering you other than Jack leaving?" asked Jane a serious.
"Of course there is? What would you be like if you knew Nick wouldn't be here with you anytime now?" cried Violet.
"What do mean? Violet Jack is going to be there he just relocated."
"Jane, Jack had Blood Cancer. He has been having it but unnoticed for a long time. It is in the critical stages now. And there isn't any cure." said Violet crying even harder.
Jane couldn't do anything. She tried contacting Jack but it was really hard. Life suddenly seemed to have stopped. Even Nick couldn't do anything.
As Jane came back from school she received a call from one of her friends from her hometown. After hearing the news she called Nick
"Hello Nick?"
"Yes Jane. Why so serious? What happened?"
"It’s..... It’s Violet... She was walking on the edge of the .........the terrace and she...slipped and ....Oh! Nick" cried Jane. It was too much for her. After all how much could she too take. As Jane was still stuck in that sad atmosphere, Jack called her, it was her birthday eve
"Hey Jane" he said.
"HI Jack. Oh god, you sound so weak." she said.
"And you sound just beautiful. Lucky guy Nick. And well Happy Birthday."
"Thank you. But what's a birthday without you guys."
"Okay Jane. I have some little things to tell you. And Ms. I hate advices, I need you to listen."
"Sure"
"Jane, life may be difficult but it will be the best for you soon. Wherever I and Violet are we'll always love you. Jane you brought me and her, you found the love in us. And we owe it to you. Nick is a great guy I suppose. But I know he'll take good care of my darling. Hey remember no doing reckless things okay, the world need astrophysists."
Laughing softly she said "The world has many."
He replied “In that case they need talented life saving beautiful astrophysists. Jokes apart, Jane?"
"Yes"
"You have been an amazing friend to me. I’ve had the most amazing moments in life with you. Moments we can never forget. Whenever you'll miss me Jane, just look at the stars, that'll be my new home. Well I know how much you'd love to come astrophysists, but you have to live life, live what you really came here for. Jane, you and Violet were two pieces that made my heart. And it is my duty that whether or not I am present, I see that you are in good hands."
"I'm going to miss you so much Jack. Please don't go. Please."
"I love you Jane."
"I love you Jack. My best friend, I can never ever forget you and there is no one who can replace the place that you had, have and will always have in my heart. I’m so sorry for making you so mad. I didn't even know."
"It’s okay. I’m sorry too, I never understood. You were going through so much. You know what makes me so sure you'll do perfectly fine?"
"What?" asked Jane sadly.
"Even though so much happened, that to exactly during your exams, you managed eighty plus percent."
"Oh come on Jack. It’s all your training. Just wish you could e- mail or call from up there."
"Hehe.... Enjoy life. I know you will, for me."
"You have my word. And I promise, not to do reckless things, let anyone down, keep myself and Nick always happy and never to forget every single diamond studded moments we shared."
"I'll miss you drama queen. Love you so much Jane."
"I love you too. And I’ll miss you more that you can ever imagine."
The next day Jack to went were Violet had.
Really sad it was, both her friends were part with the one above. Even though Jane broke down terribly, she never lost hope and Nick never let her do so.
Life may not always be the way we want it too. Not always do things that we want happen. But one thing is for sure. As the good moments come by grab them as you'll never know when they may change.