The One | Teen Ink

The One

It's almost time for me to leave and I hate the fact that out of all people my boss choose me to go on this assignment. She told me that I just had to stay behind the desk, find information, and to keep her informed if anything new came up. To be honest I really don't want to go. We have people in this work force titled for cases like this to go and get some inside. But hey at least this would be a big opportunity for my career. So I guess I'll stop complaining.

My name is Andrea Banks,I am from chicago. Where you hear loud trucks, people being in gangs, seeing people get robbed and feeling the smoke from the busses enter my mouth as I walk. I’ve been a detective for about 8 years now and I love my job. In a couple more days I’ll be leaving to go to Mexico for a case. For a month in a half now I’ve been studying my case about this guy name jesus that is a major drug lord that live in Mexico. My sources tell me that Jesus has been trafficking drugs to my city and I’m not f'ing having it. When I became a detective I told myself that I was going to get rid of all the bad guys in the world, and when I leave I attend to get rid of one. “Hey Andrea are you ready to leave thursday “ Jackie said.

Yes boss I am ready, whole time in my head I just want to stay home. “You know with these kind of cases you might have to stay down there for a year or two”. A year or two ? in my mind so many thoughts were going on I was drifting off into space when she told me that. Ma’am a year or two… how come? As my voice trailed off while speaking to my boss that can just drop me from this case of a one in a lifetime opportunity. “Is there a problem Andrea ?” No ma’am not at all, I just thought I was going to be in Mexico for about 5-6 months not a year or two. “Well would you like me to find somebody else to go, you know there people dying to go-” No as I interrupted her, no ma’am I am ready for Mexico.

Just thinking in my head how am I going to tell Marquis that I’ll be leaving for a whole year or two at that. This mean I need to be on my A-game and do what I have to do so I can home to faster. I love Marquis with all my heart, we’ve known each other since we were teens and been together for about 10 years. He knows how much I love my job, he has been with me from the beginning and now this is a big opportunity for me. We even have a child together, our dog Marquis Jr. I’m going to miss them dearly but mama has to go out and make her coins for a better future for them. Hey babe Marquis said before kissing me. Hey I said flatly, what’s wrong he asked. I have some bad news to tell you… he had a confused face on his face. Marquis hates hearing bad news.

Whats up ?  well Marquis you know how I was going to Mexico for this case right? Yea he said. Well babe Jackie told me that I might have to be in Mexico for a year or two. Marquis eyes got so big, his eyebrows went up and he looked at me in such a mischievous way. What the f you mean a year or two, we have f'ng plans for the rest of the year. Now your telling me that your going to be in fing Mexico for a year or two. In my head I couldn't believe how Marquis was reacting, I would feel the same way if he told me he was going to leave for a year or two. As Marquis was going off about me leaving I had to stop him and tell him if I do the job right and fast I should back home with in 3-6 months.

He still wasn't going for it as I told him if I do my job right I should be home and not be in Mexico for a year. After the conversation Marquis wasn’t talking to me for days. He slept in the other room, when I would came home from work he would just leave the room and not greet or anything to me.

Today is the day that I leave from Mexico. Everything is ready to go, I have my bagged pack and my files from work. As I was leaving the apartment Marquis didn’t even tell me goodbye. On my way to the airport all I could think about was Marquis. Thinking if this was right decision to do, but then again it's like Marquis knows about how much I love my job and how big this is for me. Anyway going through airport customs and everything Marquis was out of my mind. All I could think about was my case. When I finally got to my seat I had to put everything to the side and just focus. I thought about how does this Jesus guy looks, what does Mexico looks like, just so many thoughts.

2:45pm on a hot, sunny August day I’ve finally arrived at my destination. I had a long flight. An 4 hour flight sheesh, I had a lot to think about. The whole mess with Marquis just really has me stressed out. ‘’Excusa ma’am eres tu Andrea?’ the strange looking man said. I looked at him and nodded my head. Through my whole life I’ve been around spanish so I know what the man had said. I tend not to speak spanish often, so I told the man can we just speak english throughout the ride.

‘Here we go ma’am, this is where you'll be staying’ the driver said. ‘Thank you’ I said. As I was getting my bags. I checked in, got my room key and when I say my room was so breathtaking. I just might be here for a while. The room had a spectacular view. I can see the pretty blue sky, the big clouds and it very spacious, and the and the bathroom was out of this world. When I went out to the balcony,  I heard the little birds chirping, the nice smell and that dirty smoke smell from Chicago. The tall buildings kind of reminded me of home, but it was a better version. The room was so big I could literally have a party with 100 hundred people. The bathroom had one of those fancy toilets with multiple buttons to choose from. It had a bathtub and a shower, the mirror was so big it even had a little tv in the mirror !!!. Now thinking about it not having to pay for the room, getting free food and having all these designer clothes I don’t mind if I have to stay for a year or two.

Now it's time to freshen up, I had to take a nap from the longest flight ever. Marquis still haven't call me yet, I called, text, left voicemail, I even called his mother. But f it, I’m not finna keep stressing myself out. After taking the longest shower I’ve ever have in my entire life, I started to get ready for the night. I lotioned down, found something sexy to wear, even tried to call marquis again. As I was sitting in my towel putting lotion on, I was on the phone with my boss telling me things I need to remember and keep an eye out for. Jackie had me off guard when she said ‘don’t fall for Jesus’. I was silent for a moment; Jackie knows about Marquis and I, I was wondering why she would say that.

Its 8:30 pm on a Friday night and I’m getting ready to go to the club called Zinco Jazz. When I was in Chicago doing research on Jesus I learn that he goes to that club every Friday night. I have a navy blue short bodycon dress on with nude high heels on. I’ve arrived at the club and all you hear is loud spanish music, people dancing and the smell of cheap cologne when I walked past the men standing. I see a group of dudes over there by the bar, I went to go over there hoping Jesus to be there. Before I can order a drink, a dude came up behind me and asked me if I wanted a drink. I didn’t recognize who it until he said.

“Excuse me can I buy you a drink? My name is Jesus, Jesus said. When he said that I looked at him and I was in shock. I didn’t know how handsome he was. I thought he was going to be one of those nasty looking guys, but he was the total different of what I was expecting. “Sure, I’ll take a shot of tequila”, said Andrea. “You’re looking very beautiful tonight, what’s your name”, said Jesus. Thank you, you don’t look half bad yourself and my name is Andrea, said Andrea. “Do you want to leave to get something to eat”, said Jesus. “Sure I’ll go, said Andrea.

Jesus and Andrea arrived at a restaurant named Zefiro. They’ve been talking for hours. They were asking each other questions all night. It seem like they knew each other for years. After the they ate and had laughter of joy, Jesus asked if Andrea wanted to come to his house. Andrea said no, she didn't want it to make it seem like she was fast and plus she knew what he had in-mind. Andrea had forgotten all about Marquis until Jesus asked her if she wanted to come to his place. Marquis still haven’t called her since she went to Mexico. Jesus was a little upset that Andrea didn't want to go to his house after the amazing night they had. Andrea and Jesus exchanges numbers. Jesus gave Andrea a ride to her hotel in his 2019 New Edition Bentley.

“Were here; thank you” Andrea said, Jesus stared me for long time and leaned in and kissed me. I was kissing him back for a quick minute then I pulled back away from him after realizing that wasn't Marquis. “Can I see you tomorrow?” Jesus asked. “We’ll see” I said while giggling like a old school girl. “Ok I’m going to call you tomorrow”, Jesus said. As I was walking out of the car I can tell that Jesus was looking at my butt, all I heard was him whistling as I walked into the hotel. As I got into my room, I did my report of what me and Jesus did tonight. As I was finishing up my report I checked my phone and I seen a text message from Marquis saying how sorry he was, and how much he missed me. I shedded a tear of all the guilt I felt as reading what Marquis texted me. I should've never kissed Jesus. I tried to call Marquis but he didn't answer I figured he was sleep so I left him a voicemail and texted him back.

It’s been about two weeks since Jesus and I was kicking it. He has been showing me all around Mexico, taking me shopping and to all of his favorite restaurants. The past two weeks have very fun. I’ve been trying so hard for Jesus to tell me what does he do for a living so I can get a confession and get home. But all he told me was that not important or I’m a very successful business man. One day we stopped by his house so he can get something. I asked him if I could go to his restroom he had someone direct me to it. His house was so big I got lost trying get back to him. As I was lost, I did at little bit of snooping of my own to see if I can see anything. I walked into an office and seen a lot of papers on the desk, when I was skimming through the papers it was information about drug deal that was about to happen heading to Texas. I hurried up and took pictures of the paperwork. I heard people coming up the stairs so I hurried up and got my last shots of the papers and got out the office. Jesus found me coming out the office, he asked me what I was doing. I told him that I got lost and that I was just walking around.

Jesus was standing this gay looking dude that was looking me up and down like he wanted to jump at him. So I asked him if he had a problem, Jesus told me to chill. The guy said that there wasn't a problem while laughing. Jesus escorted me down to the car and his little minion was following us. After Jesus taking me to the car he went back into the house to talk to that boy that was kept looking me up and down. It seem like they were arguing but I paid it no mind. When Jesus got to the car I told him to take me to my hotel. Jesus gave me a funny look and just told me ok. Finally after the long ride of silence we’ve finally arrived at my hotel. Jesus said that he was going to call me later.

As I got in my room I was calling Jackie and told her what I had found and can I come home. Jackie told me no not quite your getting there, you need to get Jesus to actually confess that he is a drug lord. When we got off the phone I was so mad, I just want to go home. As Jesus kept blowing up my phone I was kind of feeling special to see that he actually likes me. With the stuff on and off communicating with Marquis for the past month now, it kind of feel good to see that somebody actually ‘cares’ about me. Am I  falling for Jesus? I think to myself, I haven't had someone take me out and do all of this stuff for me in a while. I think right now I’m just tripping cause I just can’t picture myself without Marquis being in my life.

After ignoring Jesus for a week, I finally gave him a call. He told me that he was going to take me out on a romantic date. Thinking to outloud I find myself falling for Jesus. The way he treats me, taking me out to all these different places I’ve never been. I think I’m falling for Jesus. It's time to go out with Jesus, he said that it was a surprise of where he was taking me. He sent his little friend his little friend to pick me up from my hotel. He didn't speak when I got into the car.  I was wondering why he kept popping up or why is he always around Jesus. Anywho I’m just ready to get out of the car to tell Jesus how I really feel.

“Hey baby, how are you,” Jesus said. I said hey back as hugging him. I can see from the corner of my eye the boy that drove me gave me the side eye. I just paid it no mind, I just wanted to enjoy my night with Jesus and tell him how I really feel. Jesus took me inside this nice movie theater I’ve never seen a day in my life like this. It was like a restaurant and a movie theater at the same time. The restaurant/movie theater had high ceilings, the lights were dim and it was little cold but I like the cold so it doesn't bother me. Jesus rented out the whole place, it was just him and I. I felted so special. Before I could tell Jesus how I feel Jackie kept blowing up my phone. Jackie knew that I was out with him, so I told Jesus I’ll be right back, that I was going to the restroom.

When I got into the restroom I called Jackie back but she didn’t answer, so I just listened to the voicemail. I put my phone the speaker phone because I had to pee and I didn’t want to hold the phone while using the bathroom. ‘Hey Andera, I was calling you to tell you that you can come back home, we got people to go to the spot you gave, keep up the great work,’ Jackie said. I was kind of debating if I wanted to leave or not. I was feeling Jesus. As the voicemail repeated itself I heard someone come into the bathroom. I said hello is anyone in here and nobody reponsed. I figure I was just hearing stuff so I just flushed the toilet and open up the door and walked around the corner to wash my hands. But when I turned that corner, I instantly dropped my phone and then I saw him.