Her Last Wish | Teen Ink

Her Last Wish

By Jasmineandsophie123, Davenport, Iowa
Jasmineandsophie123, Davenport, Iowa

My favorite quote is "Have courage and be kind" - Cinderella

Her Last Wish was inspiried by a school math project. We wrote most of this story in one night. 

Prologue:

The year was 1489. The kingdom of Cassiopeia was in the state of war with the kingdom of Green tea, they had been at war for almost 10 years now. It was a horrid sight. Princess Violet Rose Hendrix, the king’s beloved daughter was almost six now, all she’s ever known is war. But that isn’t the important part, obviously. This is a story of Love and heartbreak. About a young, poor boy who fell in love with a girl, who was adventurous, BEAUTIFUL, and reckless. Together they were like fire and ice, the perfect match, but there was one problem. It was a forbidden love. Tragic and heartbreaking, But they persisted. Now, enough of this chatter, onto the story, or whatever.

1499 April 24 

Journal entry one: Jay

The town where I live is quiet, slow. I live in a small adobe with my mother. I’m 17 now, my mother is always saying how much I’ve grown, but I guess I’ve never really cared for my appearance at all. All that matters in my life, is my mother. She’s been ill with malaria for the past year. I try my best to earn money, but in reality she isn’t getting any better. Every day my mother is getting worse, and none of the medicine the doctor gave us is working either. Today her fever rose to 104 degrees. The days are moving by so slow. None of us want to accept what is to come. 

1499 April 25 

Journal entry two: Jay

I woke up this morning. The sky is as cloudy as ever. I rushed downstairs to make breakfast and to get medicine for my mother, but I didn’t need to give her the medicine. She was lying limp on the floor, cold to the touch. The life was lost in her eyes. I feel numb, It’s like she has always been gone, nothing feels different. Well, the house is colder now. It’s quieter than before. I don’t think I’ve felt this alone. What am I to do now that she’s gone? It’s like I’m drowning in a vast ocean, being weighed by the isolation, washing over me, pushing me. Endless loneliness. There is one thing my mother told me once, it has always stuck with me, “I believe in you, there are no ends to what you can achieve” So that is why I am going to fulfill her last wish, to join The Royal Guard of Cassiopeia and to fight for what I believe in.

1499 April 24

Journal entry one: Violet

I don’t even know why I had to be born in the first place. My parents clearly are set on getting rid of me. My life is terrible. I have to get married in 3 weeks to some stinky prince of Kingdom Garnier. I HAVE to, for some stupid political reason, blah blah blahhh. Anyways, I’m planning on ditching this place before I have to marry that miserable dunce. Oh! I have to go, I think my mother found out that I set my corset on fire. I don’t get why it's such a big deal anyway, it’s so uncomfortable to wear. What a drama queen. Anyways I have to go!

1499 April 25

Journal entry two: Violet  

I have news. Okay, I was spying on my Father’s summit with the Royal counsel today or whatever and I overheard they were discussing getting me a bodyguard, like I'm not already being watched over 24/7. Also who says that I can’t take care of myself, like I was raised in the middle of a literal international war. This sucks. My Mother always says, “precision of language, dear” because apparently the word suck is “inappropriate” and “unladylike” well here you go mother. THIS SUCKS! I hate everyone. GOODDAY. 

1499 April 26

Journal entry three: Jay

I woke up today to find a letter from the Head of the Royal Guard of the Kingdom of Cassiopeia. The letter read: 

Dear Jay Fox Ashford,,

Hello we are very pleased to announce that you have been accepted into the Royal Guard of our beloved kingdom. 

Henceforth, you shall receive your armor in approximately three days. After you receive your armer you shall attend the Accolade on April 29 to be united and accepted into our kingdom. 

As for your task as a knight you shall be assigned a post given by the King himself. 

Best of luck to you, and to your future

Signed,,

Emil  Andrew Bulman Head of the Royal guard .   

I stood there blankly staring at the letter. My mother’s wish was coming true. Finally, I was going to achieve what I have wanted to do since I was born. 

1499 April 29 

Journal entry four: Jay 

Today was the day that I arrived at the Kingdom of Cassiopeia, but unfortunately there was no help whatsoever, while I was wandering around looking for the entrance. As I was looking around, I wandered into a garden that was filled with an array of colors and scents. I guess I was standing there for a while admiring the sight, because I didn’t realize that there was a strange girl watching me in a rose bush. Anyway, eventually I found the entrance. I walked in and was greeted by The Head of the Royal Guard. 

“Why, hello Mr. Ashford, how are you today?” I shook his hand, and tried to act as polite as possible, or whatever.

“Hello, It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. Bulman.” He nodded, and then led me into the Great Hall. Surrounding me were a crowd of people, dressed in fancy dresses, and suits. I walked down the hall toward the King who sat upon his throne. I reached his throne and stood before him. He smiled and told me to kneel, and pledge loyalty to him and his Kingdom. He stood up from his throne and carried a great sword. He then proceeded to lift the sword over my head and flipped it counterclockwise, lastly he placed it on my left shoulder, and spoke aloud.

“As your first given task. You shall protect, and accommodate the beloved  princess of our Kingdom.” he added “I am putting my full trust in you, do not fail this Kingdom.” 

1499 April 29 7:00

Journal entry three: Violet

I am D O N E. So, Today was the ceremony for the new knight or whatever, but before the ceremony I might’ve spied on him in the garden. I'm pretty sure he didn’t see me, I had a really good hiding spot. He looked like a lost kitten or something. But to be honest he was kinda cute. He had this dark hair, and he looked really tall, as well as these GORGEOUS blue eyes. Wait no I think I’m just losing my eyesight or something, no one can be that perfect. I mean I’m like the full capacity of perfect, I can’t lose my nerve now.  

1499 April 29 7:30 

Journal entry four: Violet

I am freaking out!! So, basically I was once again eavesdropping on something that I shouldn’t be eavesdropping on, but anyways. I snuck into the Accolade for the new knight and overheard the whole thing. The cute new guard is going to be MY bodyguard, he is going to engage in social interaction with me. AAAAA!!! I changed my mind, I think the whole bodyguard idea is AMAZING. Gotta go get dolled up for my date- I mean; “Meeting” with my bodyguard!

1499 April 31 

Journal entry five: Jay

I started my first day waiting in The Great Hall with the king and Queen. We were waiting for the Princess to arrive. The king broke the silence and said,

“I am so very sorry, I apologize for her untimely fashion.” I shook my head and answered. 

“Oh, It’s fine don’t worry.” It was silent again. Suddenly my attention was turned to the sound of loud clicking noises coming toward me. I saw the Queen facepalm, and the king shake his head in disappointment. I saw a girl with fiery red hair, elegantly striding down the stairs, oddly making direct eye contact with me. Dismissing the fact that I watched her walk down the stairs for about 5 minutes until she reached the bottom of the stairs stumbling when she finally did reach the bottom.The Queen looked at the girl and said,

“Darling, what are you doing?” The girl shook her head while looking at her poofy yellow dress with lace wrapped around the bottom and replied.

“What, what did I do?” The king and Queen gave each other looks of disappointment. I stood there confused and a little entertained.  

“Anyways.” The king looked at me and smiled, “We are so glad that you will be protecting our Violet.” Violet twirled her hair around her fingers and said “Yes, yes we are” I glanced over at her and she batted her eyes at me. The queen sighed. 

“Mr. Ashford,” I looked over at the queen and nodded my head. “Would you take your first task and escort Violet to her harp lessons?” I looked over at Violet then back at the queen and replied. 

“Yes, of course.” The king nodded and stood up, and walked away as fast as he could, the queen followed after him just a bit slower. I stood there for a few seconds before I heard Violet say,

“Hey, I wanna show you something cool.” I looked at her and gave her a puzzled look and said.

“Don’t you have harp lessons to attend?” She started blankly at me and then chuckled and replied.

“Please, I never go to those anyways.” I just stood there, but before I could convince her otherwise, she took my hand and pulled me out of the room. 

1499 April 31 

Journal entry five: Violet 

We arrived at the garden, I was holding his hand, but I totally felt him hold my hand tighter, I'm like, positive. I mean I did force him to come with me, but that’s irrelevant, we're still together. Also, I said he was cute from far away, but up close, he is GORGEOUS, I can’t. 

“Violet.”  The way he said my name was flawless. I looked into those beautiful blue eyes and I answered him.

“Yes?” He walked over to a flower bush and picked up a petal, then he looked at me and replied.

“Are you going to go to your Harp lessons?” I looked at him in disbelief, like, how did he not pick up on the hints? I was sending clear signals! He is totally oblivious. 

“No, I’m not going to the lessons. I never had since my mother signed me up for them.” I fiddled with a petal on a pink rose, and then I heard the most beautiful sound. Laughter coming from my beloved prince.

“Really? How did you get away with it?” I looked at him with starry eyes and smiled.

“Well! There's this one girl who looks exactly like me, so I paid her to pretend to be me at my Harp lessons.” He grinned and walked over to a red tulip by the rose bush, I followed him of course. 

“That is really strange.”  He laughed. Wait, did he just say that to me? Maybe I was wrong, maybe he isn’t perfect. Then he looked at me with sympathy and said.

“Oh, I didn’t mean it that way. I just thought it was funny, is all.”  Wow he is so sweet. Actually nevermind. He is perfect. We were having such a cute conversation until I heard the awful voice of my mother.

“Violet! Are you home?” I groaned. I looked up at Jay, he shrugged his shoulders. I trudged toward the castle, leaving the perfect moment of me and my true love behind. Stupid mother. 

1499 May 1 

Journal entry six: Jay 

Lately working at the castle has been an interesting experience. All I’ve done is follow the princess around, there really hasn’t been any “saving” going on. The princess hasn’t stopped complaining about this “miserable dunce” she has to marry, and that apparently he's coming for dinner as well. She won’t stop begging me to cover for her so she doesn't have to go, but somehow I convinced her to go, she isn’t too happy about it though. Also a few hours ago, I was guarding  the princess's room, as normal and she swung open the door and said. 

“Hey, does this look good on me?” She was wearing a floral dress with puff sleeves and a lace wrapped around the bottom. I raised an eyebrow at her and replied. 

“Um, yeah sure.” She gave me a big smile and tumbled back into her room and slammed the door behind her. After that, she continued to come out wearing different dresses, and asking about my opinion. I was confused at how she changed so quickly. Why does she care so much? 

1499 May 2

Journal entry seven: Jay

The next day was the day that the “miserable dunce” or the prince was supposed to come to dinner, though the princess wasn't too happy about it but she liked the purple dress she picked out for the dinner. When the time came, the prince sauntered into the castle, he had a blonde bob cut and he was wearing a silk robe as well as a fancy velvet hat. He walked up to the princess and said  “madam” and he attempted to kiss her hand but she pulled it away and wiped it on her dress with a disgusted look on her face, she stepped further from him and closer to me. 

“Violet don’t be rude!” Boomed the queen. Violet rolled her eyes, I laughed, and covered my mouth. The king stood up and smiled.

“Welcome Bernard, we are very pleased to have you here for dinner.” Bernard scoffed and said.

“Oh, well the pleasure is all mine!” It was silent. For a while. The queen clapped her hands together.

“Alright, can we please go and eat supper now.” Violet trudged behind me as we followed the king to the dinning hall. I sat down at the table beside Violet. Bernard was going on and on about himself and his success. The whole time I sat there out of place. I wasn’t paying attention until what Bernard said caught my attention.

“Well, I am the only suitable man to marry the lovely Violet.” Violet dropped her fork and covered her mouth. She looked like she was about to barf. Violet stood up from her seat.

“I- I don’t feel good.” She ran out of the room, her mother was calling after her. I stood up and followed after her. 

1499 May 1

Journal entry six: Violet 

Okay, so I really don’t want to attend the dinner party or whatever, but at least I get to wear a fancy dress, and I am NOT getting dressed up for that miserable dunce, I’m getting dressed up for Jay of course, duh. Also I asked his opinion on one of the dresses and I swear he fell in love with me the moment I walked out of my room and he saw me wearing that beautiful dress. He said and I quote. “You look absolutely gorgeous. I want to marry you right now.” He is so perfect and considerate.  This dinner is going to suck, but at least my TRUE love will be there. Guess I’ll just have to grin and bear that miserable dunce! 

1499 May 2

Journal entry seven: Violet

Ugh Bernard is so self centered, like just shut up. He’s a total jerk, he deserves zero respect. ALSO He really tried to kiss my hand, like, the AUDACITY! Who does he think he is!? These hands are clean! His hands are filthy! He probably hasn’t showered in months. The only reason I went was because I just couldn’t say know to my beloved Jay. I bet his hands are clean! Anyway, we were eating dinner and Jay sat right next to me, I swear he’s so in love with me! Bernard went on and on about his father’s success, but something he said really set me off. He said and I quote “Well, I am the only suitable man to marry the lovely Violet.” I was shocked. Completely and utterly disgusted and revolted. I swear I almost threw up in my mouth. I totally lost my nerve and ran out of there as fast as I could. I didn’t realize until I reached the garden that Jay had been following me.

“Violet! Wait!” I stopped, he sounded so worried. I spun around to meet his beautiful blue eyes, and said. 

“I can’t believe he said that! I don’t want to marry him!” Without realizing it I had started to cry. Jay walked closer to me and handed me a handkerchief from his pocket. I took it and wiped the tears off of my face. I then held it out for him to take back and said “here” but he shook his head and said. 

“No don't worry about it, you can keep it” I looked up at him and smiled. I looked at the handkerchief he had given me. He is so perfect. He totally likes me. 

1499 May 3 

Journal entry eight: Jay

When Violet came out of her room today she wasn’t acting like herself. She was in a mix of emotions. I know that what Bernard had said was bothering her, but part of me still wished she would go back to her old self. She walked out of her room. I stopped her and asked.

“Are you going to your harp lessons? Or do you want to go to the garden like usual?”  Violet looked up at me and sighed.

“I’m going to the Harp lessons today.” She sighed again. I gave her a surprised look and joked.

“What? You never go to your Harp lessons, what changed?” She shrugged her shoulders and walked towards the stairs. I stood there shocked. I sighed and followed her down the stairs. Sitting through those Harp lessons was exhausting, I can see why she never goes to them. I thought about how sad she had looked this morning and I wanted her to go back to her old self, so after her Harp lessons I took her to the garden to enjoy a picnic with her. 

“Here we are.” We stopped at a cherry blossom tree in the garden and admired it. Violet gasped and ran to the tree. I followed her and sat down underneath the tree with her. She looked at me and said “this is so perfect, thank you!” I looked over to a daisy and I picked it, I held it in my hand and then I handed it to Violet. She gave me a big smile and took it. She thanked me and said.

“Jay, this is so sweet of you, but why are you doing this for me?” I stared blankly at her and thought.

“To be honest.” I paused, “I Just wanted to see you smile again.” Shoot I said that outloud, what is wrong with me. I looked back at her and her face was as red as the rose bush. She twirled her hair around her finger and said underneath her breath

“Hahaha, you're so perfect.” I looked at her and asked

“What?” She giggled “Nothing.” She looked away and played with the grass. I glanced over at her, I never realized how beautiful and delicate she was. She had fair skin and beautiful red hair that shined, as well as her angelic grey eyes.